PDA

View Full Version : Life The Neighbors Dog

Megbert
03-23-2012, 06:36 PM
My neighbors have a Shorty Bulldog that is being neglected terribly. He's left out all day. Even though they have a doggie door. His yard is basically a cement slab patio. No grass. He has some skin condition where most of his coat is thin or gone all together. They do provide him some shelter with a wire dog crate but it really provides no shade.

Now the last week or so I've gone over to check on him. That's when my fiance and I noticed how bad his coat is. We are both dog lovers, we have 2 pugs and a mutt I got from the pound. She works as a Vet Tech and sees this kinda of thing everyday. Me I just get upset because in my limited interaction with the dog he seems like a great dog in need of someone to care for and interact with him.

Now should I just report them to the ASPCA or talk to them? I think I could convince my fiance to take him on if that's possible. I know there are rescue organizations out there that deal with specific breeds. So I could let them know about those.

The least this dog needs is to be taken to the Vet to be checked out.

Oh the other day I hear this woman yelling "GET AWAY!!!" "GO HOME!!" "GET OUT OF HERE" and so I look out the window and I see the dog in out of his yard. I go out and get him to come with me to his house. I let the owner know their dog was out. She thanks me and says it must've been the babysitter who left the gate open. All while the dog is just jumping around happy because someone is paying attention to him. As I leave I hear the woman shout "SIT, DOWN, SIT" etc. then the door close to the
house.

This is what the dog kinda looks like.

rockymtnchief
03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Are you interested in taking the dog in as your own?

Nzoner
03-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Antifreeze....for the neighbor.

SnakeXJones
03-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Dog indeed needs a better home don't understand why fuckers like these keep them and don't pay attention to them also sounds like he has mange

Megbert
03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Are you interested in taking the dog in as your own?

I would love too. But have 3 dogs now and don't know if this dog would get along with ours. I'd also have to get my Fiance on board.

Cannibal
03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I fuckin hate irrespnonsible pet owners. pets are innocent.

Lonewolf Ed
03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
The best dog I ever had was the rottweiler I took away from a former neighbor. I enjoyed 10 great years with her and miss her terribly.

Cannibal
03-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I hope you can adopt the little guy. You sound like a great pet owner, plus I love that breed. I'd like to have a dog like that eventually

listopencil
03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
You are going to have to call Animal Control (I don't know what it's called where you live) and get them to do a "welfare check". Otherwise, you are going to get into a confrontation with the dog's owner and lose.

rockymtnchief
03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
The best dog I ever had was the rottweiler I took away from a former neighbor. I enjoyed 10 great years with her and miss her terribly.

Same here. My rottie was the gentlest dog until the day he died.

I asked the asshole neighbor if his dog could come play with my dog during the day. Eventually, I just stopped taking him next door at night. The neighbor moved and left Buster behind.

Bugeater
03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
You are going to have to call Animal Control (I don't know what it's called where you live) and get them to do a "welfare check". Otherwise, you are going to get into a confrontation with the dog's owner and lose.
Yes, this. And remain anonymous.

CosmicPal
03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
If your fiance' is a vet tech, I would assume she has the numbers to all of the rescue organizations in the area?

Or, at the very least, can ask around. Her office ought to have names and numbers of people who rescue animals.

prhom
03-23-2012, 07:55 PM
If you think you want it, start a conversation with the neighbor about dogs and how much you have always admired dogs like that and are thinking about getting one. If they really don't like it they'll probably start bitching about the dog and say, "if you want one take mine". I've actually had people say this to me when I meet them and their pet on a walk or in the park. Then you say sure I'd love to! Some people just don't want to give up a dog even if they dislike it. Otherwise, yes, call the authorities. Dogs should have shade and water at least in your area.

prhom
03-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Same here. My rottie was the gentlest dog until the day he died.

I asked the asshole neighbor if his dog could come play with my dog during the day. Eventually, I just stopped taking him next door at night. The neighbor moved and left Buster behind.

Is buster the dog in your avatar?

Sofa King
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Kill the owners.

rockymtnchief
03-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Is buster the dog in your avatar?

Nope that's Gandy. He's a german shepard that thinks he's a lap-dog.

Fish
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Kill the owners.

This.

prhom
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM

Funny how the big dogs always think that, eh?

rockymtnchief
03-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Funny how the big dogs always think that, eh?

Pretty much. All my big dogs have even liked cats. Birds, on the other hand...

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I would love too. But have 3 dogs now and don't know if this dog would get along with ours. I'd also have to get my Fiance on board.

You might want to just try and get to know your neighbors a little better in order to find out why they are treating the dog this way. Try to get the whole story, perhaps theres other issues and the dog is just being ignored.

Cannibal
03-23-2012, 08:56 PM

That's totally awesome

prhom
03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Pretty much. All my big dogs have even liked cats. Birds, on the other hand...

Heh, our Chihuahua only gets on my lap when he wants food and pretty much hates our cats. You'd think it would be the other way around.

rockymtnchief
03-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Heh, our Chihuahua only gets on my lap when he wants food and pretty much hates our cats. You'd think it would be the other way around.

The dachsund humps the cat, kills and eats the gophers...and then wants to be nose-to-nose with you on the couch with the nastiest breath imaginable.