PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Dawkins & Tebow, not sure if serious

Okie_Apparition
03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Dawkins says Tebow “laid hands” on injured neck

by Mike Florio on March 24, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT

From time to time, some of you have joked at Jets quarterback Tim Tebow should try to heal injured players and/or opponents.

It’s time to stop joking.

Safety Brian Dawkins, who played for the Broncos during the two years of the Colorado version of Tebowmania, told Alex Marvez and Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio that Tebow tried to heal Dawkins’ injured neck last season.

“In our Bible study sessions when my neck was pretty bad and I’m hurting, [Tebow] along with our chaplain and [Broncos director of player development] Jerry Butler laid hands and prayed on me pretty good,” Dawkins said. “They brought snot and tears to my eyes and all that type of good stuff with prayer.”

We present this information without opinion or comment. Because we suspect that at least 100 of you, maybe a lot more, will have something to say in the comments.

In58men
03-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Lame

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 10:32 AM
So a group of people praying and simultaneously have their hands on a guys injured neck=bad thing?

WhiteWhale
03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't pray, but this really doesn't seem so unusual for a group of guys who have strong faith to pray for someone's health.

Seems like a pretty ho-hum non-story.

CaliforniaChief
03-24-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't pray, but this really doesn't seem so unusual for a group of guys who have strong faith to pray for someone's health.

Seems like a pretty ho-hum non-story.

Agreed.

Although if Tebow laid hands on Peyton's neck, that might be a different story.

RealSNR
03-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Lord, heal this old man's injured neck so that it may become strong again, so that this man might layeth the hurt on WRs who dare trespass against him.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

rico
03-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I wonder if he can cure my cold urticaria!?!?!?!

Catt Massel
03-24-2012, 10:51 AM
At first I supposed this thread may be about Tebow and Richard Dawkins the famed evolutionary biologist! How humorous that can be

wazu
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Lame

Nice post.

Rain Man
03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Lame

Not if Tebow lays hands on it.

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Lord, heal this old man's injured neck so that it may become strong again, so that this man might layeth the hurt on WRs who dare trespass against him.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

You forgot the part about him needing the Lord's bounty so as to buy that new SUV.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
so Tebow needs to quit football and spend his time going to all the hospitals curing the nations sick. No need for medicare when we have Tebowcare.

oh wait, he can't do that because it's bullshit

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
so Tebow needs to quit football and spend his time going to all the hospitals curing the nations sick. No need for medicare when we have Tebowcare.

oh wait, he can't do that because it's bullshit

You seem mighty outraged by this. Did Tebow try to heal you and it didn't work?

Okie_Apparition
03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
He touched me & snot came out
cost the vatican lots of money

listopencil
03-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Laying on of hands is nothing more than praying for God to cause healing. Typically this is thought to only be effective (among those that believe it to be effective) if the parties all share an extremely strong faith in God. That's why it also called "faith healing". This is, more or less, the opposite of Voodoo and/or witchcraft (for example) practices of causing harm by spiritual means. It should be noted that Voodoo and witchcraft are said to rely on similar faith although it's not always necessary. Take it for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

Dylan
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh Lord. This city will never be the same.

Welcome to the "No Ring Circus"

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Laying on of hands is nothing more than praying for God to cause healing. Typically this is thought to only be effective (among those that believe it to be effective) if the parties all share an extremely strong faith in God. That's why it also called "faith healing". This is, more or less, the opposite of Voodoo and/or witchcraft (for example) practices of causing harm by spiritual means. It should be noted that Voodoo and witchcraft are said to rely on similar faith although it's not always necessary. Take it for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you but I'm pretty sure everyone got that. The only difference is that people who were bashing were looking for any excuse to bash Tebow. His faith is a convenient one especially in the context of healing.

Dylan
03-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Hahaha, The guy's not even officially signed.

Tim Tebow's Billboard Unveiled Outside of the Lincoln Tunnel

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0323/ny_tebowts_576.jpg

I hope Sanchez doesn't live in Manhattan!

lewdog
03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I prayed to God that Tebow would remain the QB of the Donkeys so they would never win again. Guess God didn't like my prayer. :hmmm:

listopencil
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you but I'm pretty sure everyone got that. The only difference is that people who were bashing were looking for any excuse to bash Tebow. His faith is a convenient one especially in the context of healing.

It needed to be said.

Dylan
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Well Timmy, Welcome to Sin City!

Get ready to meet the city that never sleeps.

Say hello to our 4 a.m. last calls, our racetracks and back room poker games, our $2,000-an-hour hookers and all the other temptations available to a 24-year-old multimillionaire in the real Sin City.

Did we mention that gay marriage is legal here, too?

Excerpts: Some New York Daily newspaper

listopencil
03-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Say hello to our 4 a.m. last calls, our racetracks and back room poker games, our $2,000-an-hour hookers and all the other temptations available to a 24-year-old multimillionaire in the real Sin City.

Excerpts: Some New York Daily newspaper

Yeah, and the Philippines are a pure Christian haven.

Dylan
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
and the New Jersey Devils host the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday March 24th

right in Timmy's backyard

Welcome!

Buck
03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
no1curr

Mr. Laz
03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
tube of Homeopathic cure-all jell FTW

mikey23545
03-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Call the sun in the dead of the night
And the sun's gonna rise in the sky
Touch a man who can't walk upright
And that lame man, he's gonna fly.

Calcountry
03-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Excerpts: Some New York Daily newspaperWhere would a real Christian be needed? With the healthy, or the sick?

listopencil
03-24-2012, 01:07 PM
tube of Homeopathic cure-all jell FTW

I usually just rub dirt on it. I have no faith.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 01:08 PM
So a group of people praying and simultaneously have their hands on a guys injured neck=bad thing?

If they want to delude themselves into thinking it will work then that is their business. But if they do that and someone doesn't get actual medical treatment because of it then yes, it can be a bad thing. Faith healing and laying on of hands does not heal. It may make them feel better, but it doesn't work.

Dylan
03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Where would a real Christian be needed? With the healthy, or the sick?

Steve Politi of the Star-Ledger puts into perspective Tim Tebowmania:

Politi: Tim Tebow buzz could be just a fad in busy New York sports scene

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

If you think Tebowmania is going to chew up our corner of the sports world and spit out the bones, we offer this quick quiz: It is late September. Which would be the biggest sports story around here?

A) Alex Rodriguez, with the Yankees 6˝ games up in the AL East, pulls a quad muscle while stepping off the stage at a Toronto strip club;

B) The Mets, despite all the injuries and salary slashing, are just two games out of the second wild-card slot with a final road trip to face Jose Reyes and the Miami Marlins looming;

C) The Giants, have fallen to 0-3 in their title defense with the rival Philadelphia Eagles coming to MetLife Stadium; or ...

D) Tim Tebow, while putting up decent numbers as the Wildcat quarterback in his first three games in a Jets uniform, remains a backup with coach Rex Ryan firmly behind Mark Sanchez.

If you answered D, you’re probably not from around here. And that’s been one of the most interesting developments in our first 24 hours of Tebowmania: a lot of people not from around here telling us how this experience is going to completely rock our world, as if this is some kind of distant sports outpost.

It might. But there’s just as a good a chance that it doesn’t, because like no other market in the country, we’re prepared to handle Timsanity and all it brings. Here are just a few reasons why:

1. We’ve got an awful lot going on.

Tebow is like fresh meat tossed into the arena (and no, that’s not a Romans/Christians reference). Of course, we’re talking about it now, and we will be for a couple weeks.

Then it’ll be Opening Day. And the Knicks will make the playoffs. And the Rangers and Devils could go deep into the playoffs. And it’ll be summer again, with Tebow the central story at training camp.

But the Giants did just win the Super Bowl. We’ll have the Yankees, the Mets, even Rutgers. ESPN might make Tebow its 24/7 programming, but around here, our interests are blissfully divided.

2. We are no strangers to celebrity athletes.

Denver Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway told a Denver radio station today that he let Tebow decide between the Jets or the Jacksonville Jaguars before making the deal. Tebow, in a conference call with reporters, had denied that was the case.

But if it is true, he made the right choice.

Jacksonville might be near his Florida roots, but it’s too small for Tebow and his cult of personality. Here, with Derek Jeter and A-Rod, Eli Manning and Jeremy Lin, David Wright and Carmelo Anthony, not to mention Sanchez and Rex Ryan, he has company. A lot of it.

3. The whole “Tebowing” thing? We can handle it.

Have you noticed the one thing that makes Tebow a cultural icon — his strong religious beliefs — have barely registered a ripple here in the ongoing debate and discussion about this trade?

It’s been all about the merits of the deal, the potential quarterback controversy and the continued grasping-at-straws of Jets management. Other than the occasional joke contrasting Tebow with the, uh, less-than-virginal Sanchez, it’s hard to find any talk about what makes him a polarizing figure.

Here’s a prediction: There won’t be much of a debate, at least not here. We are diverse market that’s a mostly tolerant one — about religious beliefs, that is. Three-interception games are another story entirely.

4. The novelty is going to wear off.

Not just here, either. Nationally. Tebow has shown what he can do. From a drama standpoint, it would be hard to imagine anything matching last season, when the combination of incredibly good fortune and a few big plays rescued the Broncos time and time again in the fourth quarter.

If the Jets are to believed — and when have they ever led us astray! (cough) — then what we’re going to see from Tebow could be quite boring. There will be other teams and bigger highlights. The world, or at least most of it, will find another cultural phenomena to obsess over.

5. Winning trumps everything here.

Knicks fans didn’t fall in love with Jeremy Lin because he is an Asian-American from Harvard. They loved him because he transformed the team from the moment he stepped into the lineup.

Linsanity was, above all, about winning. The Tebow story is still just a lot of blather about a backup quarterback, one who might have a minimal impact on the Jets’ performance on the field.
That said ...

If Tebow wins games the way he did in Denver? If he takes the job from Sanchez and leads the Jets deep into the playoffs? Then hide the children, because Tebowmania will take over everything. Even here.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/03/politi_tim_tebow_buzz_could_ju.html

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 01:23 PM
If they want to delude themselves into thinking it will work then that is their business. But if they do that and someone doesn't get actual medical treatment because of it then yes, it can be a bad thing. Faith healing and laying on of hands does not heal. It may make them feel better, but it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure the broncos medical staff didn't leave the healing up to Tebow and the rest of the prayer group.

Mile High Mania
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
It's funny how this annoys people. This stuff happens all the time - but if Tebow does it, let's get all crazy about it.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
It's funny how this annoys people. This stuff happens all the time - but if Tebow does it, let's get all crazy about it.

Other people don't make a point of openly praying (in violation of Matthew 6:6) on national TV every time a camera points at them.

Three7s
03-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Blame ESPN/NFL Network.

J Diddy
03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Other people don't make a point of openly praying (in violation of Matthew 6:6) on national TV every time a camera points at them.

Man, I tell you what. If that's what my son's role models vice is then I could've done a hell of a lot worse.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Man, I tell you what. If that's what my son's role models vice is then I could've done a hell of a lot worse.

I disagree. An arrogant, self-righteous prick isn't a good role model.

highBOLTage
03-24-2012, 03:59 PM

???
I've never heard of prayer producing snot from someone's eyes. Amazing. Dawkins should probably have that looked at though.

DaFace
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Is it weird that I'm sad that Tebow's leaving town? I think I'll miss the circus.

(Ignoring the fact that I'm dreading Manning being here.)

Phobia
03-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I disagree. An arrogant, self-righteous prick isn't a good role model.

I'm not a fan of the guy. I don't like his style of QB play and I certainly don't like any of the teams he's played for. But I don't find any of those descriptors to be accurate. If you're going to be a hater at least hate on him for the right reasons.

listopencil
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Uh...yeah...because he wasn't openly religious at all until last year when there were cameras on him. You can take verses from the Bible and twist them around to validate just about any opinion you want. The truth is that he makes religious people more uncomfortable than non-religious people. He's a hard standard to live up to. He makes part time Christians aware of how far away from their beliefs they stray.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Uh...yeah...because he wasn't openly religious at all until last year when there were cameras on him. You can take verses from the Bible and twist them around to validate just about any opinion you want. The truth is that he makes religious people more uncomfortable than non-religious people. He's a hard standard to live up to. He makes part time Christians aware of how far away from their beliefs they stray.

HE is far away from Jesus' teaching when he makes a public display of prayer. It is in direct contradiction of what Jesus taught in fact.

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:01 PM
HE is far away from Jesus' teaching when he makes a public display of prayer. It is in direct contradiction of what Jesus taught in fact.

If you take his teachings out of context, you completely miss the point. That particular teaching was about intent. He was saying that if you only pray to give the appearance of being pious then you are a hypocrite. That it would be better to go off by yourself and strengthen your personal relationship with God than to make an empty show of praying. The problem now is that you are assuming you know what Tebow's intent was. You are taking it upon yourself to judge him. As I recall the Bible had a few things to say about being judgmental as a Christian.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 11:02 PM
If you take his teachings out of context, you completely miss the point. That particular teaching was about intent. He was saying that if you only pray to give the appearance of being pious then you are a hypocrite. That it would be better to go off by yourself and strengthen your personal relationship with God than to make an empty show of praying. The problem now is that you are assuming you know what Tebow's intent was. You are taking it upon yourself to judge him. As I recall the Bible had a few things to say about being judgmental as a Christian.

Rationalization.

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Rationalization.

Denial.

Archie F. Swin
03-24-2012, 11:09 PM
so how's jeremy lin doin?

DaFace
03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I just can't bring myself to care at this point. :shrug:

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:17 PM
John 8:

1 (http://bible.cc/john/8-1.htm)Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2 (http://bible.cc/john/8-2.htm)And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3 (http://bible.cc/john/8-3.htm)And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 (http://bible.cc/john/8-4.htm)They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 (http://bible.cc/john/8-5.htm)Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 (http://bible.cc/john/8-6.htm)This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 (http://bible.cc/john/8-7.htm)So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 (http://bible.cc/john/8-8.htm)And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 (http://bible.cc/john/8-9.htm)And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 (http://bible.cc/john/8-10.htm)When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 (http://bible.cc/john/8-11.htm)She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Those are strong words. They tell a powerful story. It seems to me that Jesus was saying that we don't have the capacity to judge a person's piety, even when caught committing a crime.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Denial.

No, I just don't like public displays of prayer. Keep it to yourself.

Epic Fail 007
03-24-2012, 11:22 PM
serious give me a fuckin break these people piss me off

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:22 PM
No, I just don't like public displays of prayer. Keep it to yourself.

Does it make you uncomfortable when you see people praying?

splatbass
03-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Does it make you uncomfortable when you see people praying?

No, it makes me think they are self-righteous people that need attention. They have an obsessive need for people to know they are Christian. I know many good Christians that don't feel a need to brag about their Christianity.

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:27 PM
No, it makes me think they are self-righteous people that need attention. They have an obsessive need for people to know they are Christian. I know many good Christians that don't feel a need to brag about their Christianity.

So you believe that if someone is praying where they can be seen by others they can only be seeking attention and/or bragging?

splatbass
03-24-2012, 11:29 PM
So you believe that if someone is praying where they can be seen by others they can only be seeking attention and/or bragging?

In Tebow's case, yes.

listopencil
03-24-2012, 11:33 PM
In Tebow's case, yes.

And that's where you're wrong. You don't know his intent. There is substantially more going on in Tebow's life than what happens when those NFL cameras are turned on him during game coverage.

splatbass
03-24-2012, 11:52 PM
And that's where you're wrong. You don't know his intent. There is substantially more going on in Tebow's life than what happens when those NFL cameras are turned on him during game coverage.

He has made a point from college on, with his public prayers, his John 3:16 eye things, and his adding "my lord and savior Jesus Christ" to almost every sentence he utters on camera to show everyone how Christian he is. He is way over the top. Maybe if he would spend as much time learning to be a QB he would be better off.

Thaddeus_Eugenia
03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
He has made a point from college on, with his public prayers, his John 3:16 eye things, and his adding "my lord and savior Jesus Christ" to almost every sentence he utters on camera to show everyone how Christian he is. He is way over the top. Maybe if he would spend as much time learning to be a QB he would be better off.

God gives thine but I don't give mine, the LORD works wonders through the hands of my own, watch! :)

splatbass
03-25-2012, 12:09 AM
God gives thine but I don't give mine, the LORD works wonders through the hands of my own, watch! :)

Huh?

Thaddeus_Eugenia
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Huh?

Thank god the LORD for Jesus! :)

splatbass
03-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Thank god the LORD for Jesus! :)

Ok...

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I prayed to God that Tebow would remain the QB of the Donkeys so they would never win again. Guess God didn't like my prayer. :hmmm:

Yeah, and look what happened, Tebow got replaced with Peyton Manning. Pleas just don't ever pray for anything Chiefs related again! Please.

KChiefer
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Bump for South Park's ep tonight. It's titled "Faith Healing." Shouldn't disappoint!

listopencil
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM

As I said, and that's where you're wrong. You are judging him based on what you believe his intent to be. You don't know what his intent is. But by all means continue to play the part of The Hypocritical Christian.

Okie_Apparition
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
bump all the thread you might
the Kansas crap still boils back up to the top ROFL

beach tribe
03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EhjSzibOIH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefer
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Soooo, this isn't what I thought it'd be, and the ep is "Faith HILLING." My bad...

Tebow is in the mix tho

Thig Lyfe
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
so how's jeremy lin doin?

Sore knee. WHERE'S TEBOW WHEN YOU NEED HIM???

qabbaan
03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
This is an old church custom dating back to the apostles' time. It is definitely not "Tebow tried to heal him". It's just a group of people praying together.

splatbass
03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
As I said, and that's where you're wrong. You are judging him based on what you believe his intent to be. You don't know what his intent is. But by all means continue to play the part of The Hypocritical Christian.

You seem very defensive. I have an opinion. I don't really care if you like it or not. You and Timmy should get a room.

TimeForWasp
03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
I pray this thread dies.

Hammock Parties
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Yep, Tebow ain't the sharpest tool. That insider quote was for real.

ChiefGator
03-29-2012, 04:03 AM
This is, more or less, the opposite of Voodoo and/or witchcraft (for example) practices of causing harm by spiritual means.

Not sure if you made that quote up, or if you quoted something, but this is typical misinformation about Vodou which was perpetrated out of fear of the black man. In all the flavors of Vodou that exist throughout Africa, the Caribbean, and South America, Vodou is NOT about just placing hexes on people. You can beseach the deities to heal yourself, stave off death for a loved one, bring bountiful crops or yields, etc....

arrwheader
03-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Was this before or after elway betrayed him for 40 pieces of broken neck peyton

Nightfyre
03-29-2012, 06:33 AM
The true miracle wasn't the lay-on-hands... it was bringing snot to Dawkins eyes, and making him think that its a good thing.

htismaqe
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM
This is an old church custom dating back to the apostles' time. It is definitely not "Tebow tried to heal him". It's just a group of people praying together.

It's amazing how "full circle" we have come as a society...

arrwheader
03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey havnt we all had enough of tebow news for one year? Can we not pollute CP with tebow mania. Stupid tebow why do you have to love god so publicly , dividing so many people like relgion does glad im not a jets fan

arrwheader
03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Do you think tebows beloved followers will pack up in a mass exodus new york? Thus minimizing revenue in denver and ultimately decreasing team value? One can only hope

Mile High Mania
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Do you think tebows beloved followers will pack up in a mass exodus new york? Thus minimizing revenue in denver and ultimately decreasing team value? One can only hope

That is a concern... I am sure they will have a problem selling #18 jerseys.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
bump all the thread you might
the Kansas crap still boils back up to the top ROFL

That buckled blue bird will not be denied!!! Str8ght threads at da top. I'm also hearing the mods might award them another 2 that were up there 10 years ago.