PDA

View Full Version : Cali Chief's Mock Draft (Chiefs only)

CaliforniaChief
03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm terrible at these and probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it's all fun. Flame away. This mock projects no trades up or down, BTW. It's only 5 rounds because it's about as far as my knowledge goes, to this point.

1st Round: Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
He's a great football player, IMO. He is a tackling machine and has a history of productivity. I think adding him would make our linebacking corps one of the best in the NFL.

Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
This pick, along with Kuechly, solidifies the middle of an already improving defense. Ta'amu is a beast who can stuff the run and take on blockers. He's a perfect NT for a 3-4 team like us, and has shown discipline recently in terms of controlling his weight.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
I like his playmaking abilities. He can run back kickoffs and we could feature him and JC in the backfield together. Good luck covering that.

Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State
Adds depth to the O-line...a good pass protection guy. Gives us options on the line.

Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
Everything I read about him says that he's got potential to be a solid CB but is more of a project pick. Not a bad place to get him, here.

Nightfyre
03-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Do not want. I like Ta'amu and Brewster. However, outside of that, I do not like this mock draft.

Kuechly would be a wasted talent in our defense because he is either taking Belcher's spot or backing up DJ. If he takes Belcher's spot, he'll end up eating a block more often than making a tackle.

Direckshun
03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm with Nightfyre.

There is literally NO PLACE for Kuechly in this defense. He takes Belcher's spot? Then he doesn't see the field, Belcher is a two-down 'backer.

Leonard Johnson is a zone CB. We run a man system with Routt/Flowers.

And, of course, there is no need for LMJ with Dex and Charles on this team. We need big backs, not scat backs.

RealSNR
03-25-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm a Kuechly hater too. I know the argument "just draft the talent available and figure out the rest when you have to" but seriously. Kuechly would be a giant headache to work into the defense. We'd have to basically squeeze in an extra defensive lineman, which I'm not too excited about at all.

Just because a guy can run around like a crazy white boy and make tackles doesn't mean he can eat up a blocker or two, either. It's not exactly a skill he's had a chance to show off in his time at BC

whoman69
03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
The only reason to replace Belcher might be in finding someone that can better cover when the opposition throws out of their base offense, which they did against Belcher 200 times last year. We have too many starters who are weak against the pass. Teams are passing more and more on 1st and 2nd downs.

This team has no strength at the NT position. Since Pioli didn't get one in FA we are running the position by committee. Trying to find someone who has played NT is next to impossible as only a handful of schools use them, especially in our type of defense. The Chiefs need to mold someone to the position, and Ta'amu seems as likely as anyone.

CaliforniaChief
04-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok, discard my first draft. Here's another shot. Includes a trade that I'm hoping for.

Tannehill falls past Miami to us. Seattle's love affair with Tannehill is well-documented. Cleveland, who chose playmaking RB Trent Richardson at #4, moves up to #11 from #22 to #11. As compensation for swapping 1st round picks, KC (680 points) receives from CLE (1,250 points) a 2nd round pick this year. (530 pts...equals 1,210)

#22: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama This guy is a beast. A good value at 22 and a perfect compliment to our existing LB corps.

#37 (from CLE): Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame Perfect compliment to Berry, gives us improved depth at safety.

#44: Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State I'm a fan of his. The physical tools are all there. I think he has high potential.

#74: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama. The additions of Hightower, Smith, and Chapman solidifies the middle of a very good defense.

#107: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma I think it's a good gamble in the 4th round. Very good WR, just coming off a knee injury. We have decent enough depth if it doesn't pan out...if he does, we could have a very loaded offense.

#146: David Molk, C, Michigan This guy reminds me of a young Casey Wiegmann. Undersized but smart and quick. Good for our running scheme.

#182: Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State Depth along the line with a versatile player who can play multiple spots along the line.

Missing round 7. OH well. Flame away.

RealSNR
04-20-2012, 11:35 PM
It sucks. So do you.

aturnis
04-20-2012, 11:54 PM
If I'm taking a receiver in the 4th, it ain't Broyles.

prhom
04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't be too upset with your second mock. I'd rather see a RB in there instead of Broyles or Adcock, but that's just me.

Dmello12
04-22-2012, 10:45 AM
i like the second. i'd switch Oswelier for Amini Silotolu the guard from midwestern state

Saccopoo
04-22-2012, 11:13 AM
i like the second. i'd switch Oswelier for Amini Silotolu the guard from midwestern state

No way.

I'd take a chance on a guy with a ton of potential at quarterback versus a small school guard in the second round all day long.

That's nuts.

Dmello12
04-22-2012, 06:17 PM
No way.

I'd take a chance on a guy with a ton of potential at quarterback versus a small school guard in the second round all day long.

That's nuts.

I'd rather take a guard here than in the first, if youre wanting a qb like that you would be wanting tannehill not osewiller. Amini will be a stud, look up his http://youtu.be/5y1vMglvFlE dude was throwing people. Played LT should be an easy transition.

Reaper16
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
No way.

That's nuts.
I agree with you here, but just wanted to say that the last Division II guard rated as highly as Silotolu is was Jahri Evans.

Micjones
04-23-2012, 06:17 AM
I like your second mock a little better.
R3's too early for us to draft a Runningback.

buddha
04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I like the second mock.

I'd probably pass on Broyles unless I was sure his knee was really healthy.

DeezNutz
04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
If Tannehill is there at #11, you take him. LB depth can be found off the street, so the organization absolutely has to take a shot if the QB falls.

If he busts, absolutely no big deal since we're well positioned to take a risk. And this year's draft shouldn't "force" us to do anything next year. Example: Carolina. Clausen didn't "force" them to do shit. The team still took Cam without thinking twice.

But, but, Clausen was a second. Yes, you're right. He was still taken at a very valuable pick. This year's draft is very short on elite talent, and the economic costs are low.

Take the chance.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Ok, discard my first draft. Here's another shot. Includes a trade that I'm hoping for.

Tannehill falls past Miami to us. Seattle's love affair with Tannehill is well-documented. Cleveland, who chose playmaking RB Trent Richardson at #4, moves up to #11 from #22 to #11. As compensation for swapping 1st round picks, KC (680 points) receives from CLE (1,250 points) a 2nd round pick this year. (530 pts...equals 1,210)

#22: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama This guy is a beast. A good value at 22 and a perfect compliment to our existing LB corps.

#37 (from CLE): Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame Perfect compliment to Berry, gives us improved depth at safety.

#44: Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State I'm a fan of his. The physical tools are all there. I think he has high potential.

#74: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama. The additions of Hightower, Smith, and Chapman solidifies the middle of a very good defense.

#107: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma I think it's a good gamble in the 4th round. Very good WR, just coming off a knee injury. We have decent enough depth if it doesn't pan out...if he does, we could have a very loaded offense.

#146: David Molk, C, Michigan This guy reminds me of a young Casey Wiegmann. Undersized but smart and quick. Good for our running scheme.

#182: Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State Depth along the line with a versatile player who can play multiple spots along the line.

Missing round 7. OH well. Flame away.

Give me Brockers instead of Hightower at 22 and that's pretty much my perfect Mock. The one I put together didn't have Osweiler because I just took Brockers at 11, but otherwise I was step for step with you through the Molk pick and didn't even bother with 6 or 7 because I decided I didn't care that much.

That's a nails draft, IMO.

ChiefGator
04-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Is Molk supposed to fall that far now? I thought he was one of the top rated centers?