PDA

View Full Version : Life 2nd hand smoke laws

lewdog
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know of any state or federal regulations about second hand smoke in apartment buildings. The person below me smokes on their porch about every 15 minutes, meaning I can never have my deck door or windows open, ever! My girlfriend and I went through this same thing last spring/summer with these same assholes. At one point he agreed not to smoke out there if we hung a ****ing pop can over out balcony when our windows were to be open. He then said he was going to quite smoking and I think he did for awhile. However, today about 5 minutes after opening my windows for the first time this year, all that smoke came drifting in!

I tried googling the laws for the state of Washington but didn't find anything specific about my right to breathe clean air. Anyone have any help?

Dartgod
03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
You're going to die.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
You're going to die.

Not the point. The point is I should be able to have my windows open without having to have my whole place reek of smoke.

Ming the Merciless
03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know of any state or federal regulations about second hand smoke in apartment buildings.

I believe you should start looking at city and / or county regulations.

Call your county housing department or city housing department.

Even in my sate (california) it varies by city/county. And, furthermore, most places still allow smoking inside your apartment. VERY VERY Rare is the locale where it is banned. Even if it is 'banned' it can be on the difficult side to enforce. It is also sometimes banned to smoke in 'common areas' like on stoops and stairways, but again difficult to enforce.

Now, assuming you are in a month-to-month contract and not a long term lease, this puts the burden on YOU to find a non-smoking complex. To mitigate your damages and fears, you should begin looking immediately for an apartment complex or living situation where you are not around smokers.

Sorry for the bad news.

kstater
03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Quit being a pussy.

DaFace
03-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I had that same issue back in our last apartment. I didn't dig into the legalities of it, but I'd have my doubts that there's much you can do. If they're allowed to smoke in the apartment by management, you're probably stuck.

Dartgod
03-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Not the point. The point is I should be able to have my windows open without having to have my whole place reek of smoke.

And your downstairs neighbor should be able to smoke without worrying about offending the whiny asshole upstairs.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I believe you should start looking at city and / or county regulations.

Call your county housing department or city housing department.

Even in my sate (california) it varies by city/county. And, furthermore, most places still allow smoking inside your apartment. VERY VERY Rare is the locale where it is banned. Even if it is 'banned' it can be on the difficult side to enforce. It is also sometimes banned to smoke in 'common areas' like on stoops and stairways, but again difficult to enforce.

Now, assuming you are in a month-to-month contract and not a long term lease, this puts the burden on YOU to find a non-smoking complex. To mitigate your damages and fears, you should begin looking immediately for an apartment complex or living situation where you are not around smokers.

Sorry for the bad news.

Well we are trying to move in the next few months anyway. I just had to go through all this last year and the landlord actually seemed to side with us. However it seems a new year means this douchebag thinks I no longer care about smelling his shit.

Quit being a pussy.

Wow, you are right, smoking is so cool!!! This douchebag down below can't even sleep in the same room as his wife because he coughs constantly. What a piece of white trash.

J Diddy
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Quit being a pussy.

This and get a fan.

kstater
03-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow, you are right, smoking is so cool!!! This douchebag down below can't even sleep in the same room as his wife because he coughs constantly. What a piece of white trash.

Smoking is disgusting. Quitting was the best thing I ever did. But he's outside his fucking apartment.

Dartgod
03-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Smoking cigarettes = White trash.

Check.

lewdog
And your downstairs neighbor should be able to smoke without worrying about offending the whiny asshole upstairs.

Seems that since we know so much about how fucking dumb smoking is, that there retards who continue to do it would just be given a shotgun instead and just end it now.

Wanna talk about why medical costs are so sky high, I would say that 50% of the people I see in the hospital have a huge smoking history and are in and out of the hospital starting in their late 50's with severe respiratory complications coming by their 60's. Fan fuckingtastic!

Bwana
Hmmm, if he's right below you. Tell him if he doesn't blow smoke into your place, you won't hang out your Johnson and take a piss on him and his deck.

Dartgod
03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Seems that since we know so much about how fucking dumb smoking is, that there retards who continue to do it would just be given a shotgun instead and just end it now.

Wanna talk about why medical costs are so sky high, I would say that 50% of the people I see in the hospital have a huge smoking history and are in and out of the hospital starting in their late 50's with severe respiratory complications coming by their 60's. Fan fuckingtastic!

That isn't the issue here. Smoking is dumb, yes.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I understand I have no right but I am just pissed I can't have any of my windows open, ever.

Guess the next place I move to I will make sure their is something written in the lease.

LiveSteam

Trade apartments with him. Other wise all you anti smoking mother fuckers can :#

Rausch
Seems that since we know so much about how ****ing dumb smoking is, that there retards who continue to do it would just be given a shotgun instead and just end it now.

Doesn't stop people from having unprotected sex...

Pablo

Wanna talk about why medical costs are so sky high, I would say that 50% of the people I see in the hospital have a huge smoking history and are in and out of the hospital starting in their late 50's with severe respiratory complications coming by their 60's. Fan fuckingtastic!And people shouldn't be allowed to drink alcohol. Or eat fast food. I don't smoke; but I sure as fuck don't care if somebody makes a personal decision to do so.

Shut your windows. Or move. Or confront the guy in an adult manner.

How old are you?

lewdog

Check.

No I am sorry, that isn't right. I know plenty of smoker who aren't trash and are very considerate. However, this guy really is trash and for a lot more reasons than just his smoking.

mlyonsd
03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
If your apartment complex doesn't have a no smoking policy on the property I'd say you are screwed.

And a DA for not checking into it before signing the lease if it means that much to you.

DaFace
03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
This is a pretty good summary of the issue from a legal standpoint. Nothing new really, but it might be good info for you to know about:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-secondhand-smoke-invades-home-29946.html

LiveSteam
03-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, if he's right below you. Tell him if he doesn't blow smoke into your place, you won't hang out your Johnson and take a piss on him and his deck.

Hot dam Thats a problem solver right there, if I ever saw one. :clap:

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
And people shouldn't be allowed to drink alcohol. Or eat fast food. I don't smoke; but I sure as **** don't care if somebody makes a personal decision to do so.

Shut your windows. Or move. Or confront the guy in an adult manner.

How old are you?

I don't care if they do either, only if it effects my living on a daily basis, which this is.

Well considering I have talked to him about 5 times last year about it and I was very adult about it. Guess it doesn't matter and he has his rights too. Do you know how frustrating it is to never get to open your windows. It sucks man!

DaFace
Here's some other decent info, which basically says: try and work it out with your neighbor.

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/smokernextdoor.pdf

Mr. Laz
The only problem is that the smoker is the person DOING something.

Smokers can't play the 'just leave me alone card' because they are the ones who are the antagonist.

don't matter how much you hate it ... it's the truth.

TimeForWasp
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I can't believe the pussies in this country.

Bwana
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Hot dam Thats a problem solver right there, if I ever saw one. :clap:

My first thought was bird bombs, :evil: but it would likely blast Lew out as well, because of the close proximity.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Holy shit. I'll give you my thoughts on this...On second hand (smoke) no I won't.

lewdog
If your apartment complex doesn't have a no smoking policy on the property I'd say you are screwed.

And a DA for not checking into it before signing the lease if it means that much to you.

Actually my lease has a line that say. "Yes, this building has a smoking policy and that policy is not to disturb other residents."

Pablo
I don't care if they do either, only if it effects my living on a daily basis, which this is.

Well considering I have talked to him about 5 times last year about it and I was very adult about it. Guess it doesn't matter and he has his rights too. Do you know how frustrating it is to never get to open your windows. It sucks man!Never?

Does he stand outside and smoke cigarettes every waking moment of the day?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Never?

Who cares if he does? It's his deck, and his apartment. Shit, he pays rent too. Good news is, the OP lives in the one state that will continue to impede on everyone's lives in order to protect the greater good. Just don't bitch when it's your turn, and they impede on yours.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
you're not a pussy just because you don't want a neighbor to be able to make the choice of smoking for you.

Keep your dam smoke to yourself and nobody would give a shit whether you die of lung cancer.

LiveSteam
03-25-2012, 04:06 PM
My first thought was bird bombs, :evil: but it would likely blast Lew out as well, because of the close proximity.

Can you still buy them dam bird bombs with out being in agriculture? I tried & just cant find them for sale anywhere to the public.

lewdog
Never?

Every 15 minutes I shit you not. And he doesn't work much so when he is home, generally so am I.

kstater
you're not a pussy just because you don't want a neighbor to be able to make the choice of smoking for you.

Keep your dam smoke to yourself and nobody would give a shit whether you die of lung cancer.

The guy is smoking outside. It's not like he's smoking inside the apartment.

KCUnited
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM

I can, sir.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Unless smoking is completely banned on your complex, you're pretty much sol

Pablo
03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
The guy is smoking outside. It's not like he's smoking inside the apartment.HE'S WALKING UPSTAIRS AND KICKING MY DOOR IN EVERY 15 MINUTES.

THEN HE TIES MY GF AND I UP AND BLOWS THE SMOKE RIGHT INTO OUR NOSTRILS.

That's a much more interesting OP, you must admit.

lewdog
So my lease says this. Pretty open interpretation from either side.

"Yes, this building has a smoking policy and that policy is not to disturb other residents."

Braincase
Smokers are a dying breed.

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Look into nuisance laws in your area. Just because someone is on his own property (including rented propoerty) doesn't mean they can do whatever they want if it deprives someone else of the "quiet enjoyment" of his own property.

Mr. Laz
which probably means that lewdog is screwed in doing anything about it.

Still doesn't change that fact that it's his smoke that is flooding someone else's appartment. He is the offender.

I wonder what that guy would think if lewdog got a stink bomb and lit it off on the guy's patio?

BryanBusby

"Yes, this building has a smoking policy and that policy is not to disturb other residents."
Welp than you have something there.

Pablo
Smokers are a dying breed.So are drinkers, consumers of fast food, and people who sit at a desk for 40 hours a week with no physical activity.

LiveSteam
03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Smoke-um if you got-um

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:11 PM

So since my girlfriend has asthma she has no rights either? I love all you idiots who think being a pussy is being someone who complains when someone infringes on your quality of life. I would have thought being a pussy would just be keeping my house closed up all the time and not doing anything?

Bwana
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Can you still buy them dam bird bombs with out being in agriculture? I tried & just cant find them for sale anywhere to the public.

You can if you know a bunch of ag people. :) If not, you can still get them, but in smaller rounds than the 12 gauge. The ones anyone can buy are 15mm, or something like that.

ElGringo
Smoking good or bad...irrelevant to the issue at hand. Most smokers I know have gotten used to taking it up the ass just to enjoy a cigarette, and this guy has the audacity to go outside and smoke a cigarette...how dare he.

I am not saying you have nothing to bitch about, but at this point, it seems like people just need to figure out to outlaw smoking all together, or accept it. What other rules/laws can you put out there without making it impossible to do.

lewdog
Smokers are a dying breed.

ROFL This thread needed some humor!

LiveSteam
03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
infringes on your quality of life.

That is the pot calling the kettle black.
its not ok for him to infringe on you
But its ok for you to infringe on him.
GET REAL & move to Phoenix. There you can talk with your neighbor about your last bowl movement

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't think it is alll that open. If it is truly blowing up into your apartment, I'd say that is an unreasonable disturbance. Take it up with the landlord, and if he acts like he doesn't care, there's probably come sort of local housing agency or landlord/tentant advocacy place that might give you advice.

Pablo
03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
So since my girlfriend has asthma she has no rights either? I love all you idiots who think being a pussy is being someone who complains when someone infringes on your quality of life. I would have thought being a pussy would just be keeping my house closed up all the time and not doing anything?You live in a fucking apartment complex.

Don't call it your house. It's a building filled with tenants that all have very limited space. I live in an apartment complex. Sometimes the people above me are loud at 11 at night and walk around. Should I call the cops? Legal advice, plz.

They're infringing on my quality of life. It should be quiet around my apartment at all times.

kstater
03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
So since my girlfriend has asthma she has no rights either? I love all you idiots who think being a pussy is being someone who complains when someone infringes on your quality of life. I would have thought being a pussy would just be keeping my house closed up all the time and not doing anything?

No one is forcing you to live there.

Dartgod
03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I question how much smoke is actually entering your apartment.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't think it is alll that open. If it is truly blowing up into your apartment, I'd say that is an unreasonable disturbance. Take it up with the landlord, and if he acts like he doesn't care, there's probably come sort of local housing agency or landlord/tentant advocacy place that might give you advice.

You guys want the real kicker.....The guy below is the complex manager's husband!

kstater

I'm assuming he's one of those that start sarcastically coughing any time someone within 50 yards of him lights one up.

BryanBusby
If you want to be a dick about it and constantly hound your landlord, something will be done about it. Just be prepared for his solution to be you moving to a different unit since you're the one with the problem.

You guys want the real kicker.....The guy below is the complex manager's husband!
lol good luck

cosmo20002
Smoking good or bad...irrelevant to the issue at hand. Most smokers I know have gotten used to taking it up the ass just to enjoy a cigarette, and this guy has the audacity to go outside and smoke a cigarette...how dare he.

He's probably going outside to smoke because he doesn't want his apartment to smell like a scumbag smoker lives there. How considerate of him.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:20 PM

I smell it within minutes of him going out there but it is usually my girlfriend with asthma that notices it first. If we have the window open and then come home the places smells of it as well, even if he isn't out there at that very moment. It is a small apartment so it doesn't take much to notice it.

Guess I just need to make sure that there is a strict policy in place for the next place we move to so I don't have to be such a bitch.

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
No one is forcing you to live there.

Except the lease he signed.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:23 PM
He's probably going outside to smoke because he doesn't want his apartment to smell like a scumbag smoker lives there. How considerate of him.

Yup, his wife says even if they were allowed to smoke in their apartment she wouldn't let him because she hates the smell. Sadly, I guess I have to smell it during the spring/summer months.

kstater

That lease is not forcing him to live there.

Pablo
Except the lease he signed.The lease he signed without reading the provisions for smoking in the complex.

You think you'd gloss over that; especially if you knew your girlfriend had asthma.

Bwana

These also look like a bit of fun.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/5rds-12-gauge-bore-thunder-flash-bang-ammo/cName/12-gauge-specialty-ammo

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 04:24 PM

^ I'd say he has enough ammo to break the lease without penalty there if the manager refuses to do anything about it.

DaFace
03-25-2012, 04:25 PM
^ I'd say he has enough ammo to break the lease without penalty there if the manager refuses to do anything about it.

Yeah, I'd agree.

LiveSteam
These also look like a bit of fun.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/5rds-12-gauge-bore-thunder-flash-bang-ammo/cName/12-gauge-specialty-ammo

Sweet find. Im ordering

lewdog
The lease he signed without reading the provisions for smoking in the complex.

You think you'd gloss over that; especially if you knew your girlfriend had asthma.

Hey dumbass, I moved here before she did and in the lease it says ""Yes, this building has a smoking policy and that policy is not to disturb other residents."

I guess I thought that was enough of a statement to cover the smoking issue.

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
The lease he signed without reading the provisions for smoking in the complex.

Sounds to me like the provisions for smoking include not bothering others. I'd say he's covered. Getting it enforced could be another issue...

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Yea, guess I will make sure they are more clear about their smoking policy next time I rent somewhere else. Over my 7 years of college I have lived in many apartment complexes and have never had a problem related to smoking until this one.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Sounds to me like the provisions for smoking include not bothering others. I'd say he's covered. Getting it enforced could be another issue...

Yea I thought the provisions would cover it too, but then again the people who lived below me when I moved in were not smokers. But you are right, getting it enforced will be a different story since it is the manger's husband who is the one smoking!

jspchief
03-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Tough spot.

Hard to not come away looking like an asshole, and little positive comes from being an asshole to apartment neighbors.

At the same time, the idea that you can't enjoy your own deck because of someone else's smoking...

Al Bundy
At one apartment I lived in I had a guy and his girlfriend that lived below me that were out on their patio smoking just about 20 hours a day. It drove me nuts. I asked the guy to stop real nice like and he told me to fuck off. So, I pissed on the door handle of his car.

Bwana
Sweet find. Im ordering

LMAO

Let me know how they work, they sound brutal.

luv
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM

I am waiting for badgirl to come in here and go off about fat people.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Yea, guess I will make sure they are more clear about their smoking policy next time I rent somewhere else. Over my 7 years of college I have lived in many apartment complexes and have never had a problem related to smoking until this one.
I'd also suggest just bs'ing around with your neighbors a bit before you move in.

In order to handle this properly, get a note from her doctor so they clearly know "hey dumbasses, you're breathing fucking smoke onto someone with asthma!" Just talk with the manager and be nice, but firm about a permanent solution coming about. If nothing happens after some time, give notice about the issue via certified mail, in which they have 5-10 days to do something about it. If nothing happens, than start taking it up with a local housing authority.

Especially considering the manager lives underneath, expect the solution to be that you're the ones who will be moving to a different unit.

Bob Dole
03-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Bob Dole is trying to get internal combustion engines banned in his neighborhood. It's gotten to the point tthat Bob Dole can't open a window without smelling exhaust fumes.

Does anyone know anything about 2nd hand internal combustion engine exhaust laws?

And cologne. Bob Dole is tired of riding in elevators with people who wear too much cologne. Anything that gives Bob Dole a headache or annoys him must be against the law. Right?

Pablo
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Bob Dole is trying to get internal combustion engines banned in his neighborhood. It's gotten to the point tthat Bob Dole can't open a window without smelling exhaust fumes.

Does anyone know anything about 2nd hand internal combustion engine exhaust laws?

And cologne. Bob Dole is tired of riding in elevators with people who wear too much cologne. Anything that gives Bob Dole a headache or annoys him must be against the law. Right?Correct. Your life should be perfect and free of complications.

Because you're you. That's why.

Ming the Merciless
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Well we are trying to move in the next few months anyway. I just had to go through all this last year and the landlord actually seemed to side with us. However it seems a new year means this douchebag thinks I no longer care about smelling his shit.

I am sorry you have to deal with this. Change is coming, but slowly.....

Maybe you could have your landlord move you to a unit that was further away/downstairs/upstairs or that you thought might be more suitable / less invaded by smoke.

You could offer to help paint or clean the apartment even. Alot of times landlords don't like moving people around within a complex, because it is rather expensive.... but in your case they might make an exception if you keep it friendly.

You could point out (politely) that the problem is so bad you are considering moving anyhow, and just are trying to help solve the problem.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM

And cologne. Bob Dole is tired of riding in elevators with people who wear too much cologne. Anything that gives Bob Dole a headache or annoys him must be against the law. Right?
new level of idiocy

Bugeater
03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
When you live in multifamily dwellings, your neighbors are going to annoy you in one way or another. My best advice is deal with it until you can buy a house.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I'd also suggest just bs'ing around with your neighbors a bit before you move in.

In order to handle this properly, get a note from her doctor so they clearly know "hey dumbasses, you're breathing ****ing smoke onto someone with asthma!" Just talk with the manager and be nice, but firm about a permanent solution coming about. If nothing happens after some time, give notice about the issue via certified mail, in which they have 5-10 days to do something about it. If nothing happens, than start taking it up with a local housing authority.

Especially considering the manager lives underneath, expect the solution to be that you're the ones who will be moving to a different unit.

Well they weren't here when we moved in and I was moving here from a different state. Good information though about the steps I could tak. I am trying to get a job in a different state so hopefully I don't have to live here much longer anyway.

Funny thing is that the manager says she wonders half the time if we are even up there because we are so courteous and quiet. I wonder if she knows the definition of courteous?

TimeForWasp
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
That's the biggest reason I will never live in an apartment complex ever again. If you don't live your life like your neighbors, they have a problem with you. It's always something. There should be a law against apartment buildings. All dwellings should be a minimum of 1 block apart.

kstater
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Funny thing is that the manager says she wonders half the time if we are even up there because we are so courteous and quiet. I wonder if she knows the definition of courteous?

You mean going outside to smoke instead of stinking up the whole building smoking inside?

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
When you live in multifamily dwellings, your neighbors are going to annoy you in one way or another. My best advice is deal with it until you can buy a house.

Yea I know. I generally haven't had to bitch about much in all the apartments I have lived in.

Sadly, these student loans sure isn't going to get me into the housing market anytime soon! :shake:

Bob Dole
03-25-2012, 04:48 PM
new level of idiocy

Right. Because someone smoking outside is a serious health risk for other human beings.

Maybe you can enlighten us on the health risks to others from someone smoking outdoors. What's the PPM of the carcinogens there?

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:48 PM
You mean going outside to smoke instead of stinking up the whole building smoking inside?

I get it, you don't think I should have any right to have my windows open even though my lease says smoking should not disturb others.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Right. Because someone smoking outside is a serious health risk for other human beings.

Maybe you can enlighten us on the health risks to others from someone smoking outdoors. What's the PPM of the carcinogens there?

It isn't about the health risks, it is about the absolute stench of it for me. And for my girlfriend it is about asthma and being allergic to cigarette smoke.

kstater
03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I get it, you don't think I should have any right to have my windows open even though my lease says smoking should not disturb others.

You have every right to open your windows up. No one has taken that right from you. You choose to close your windows, just as your neighbor chooses to smoke.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
You have every right to open your windows up. No one has taken that right from you. You choose to close your windows, just as your neighbor chooses to smoke.

So is his smoking disturbing me or is it not?

kstater
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
So is his smoking disturbing me or is it not?

I'd say no.

AustinChief
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Guess I just need to make sure that there is a strict policy in place for the next place we move to so I don't have to be such a bitch.

And here is your answer. This is YOUR problem not his. There is ZERO health issue here it is simply a nuisance for you. It would be the EXACT same thing if the downstairs neighbor was constantly boiling cabbage and that offended you. It may suck, but so do lots of things about neighbors in close proximity. (unless it's a hot bisexual ex-stripper who lives down the hall.. that doesn't suck at all.)

Mr. Laz
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
And here is your answer. This is YOUR problem not his. There is ZERO health issue here it is simply a nuisance for you. It would be the EXACT same thing if the downstairs neighbor was constantly boiling cabbage and that offended you.
secondhand smoke is a myth

Okie_Apparition
It wasn't that long ago people opened their windows & threw the contents of their chamber pots into the streets. To mix with the maggots eating the horse shit

mlyonsd
So is his smoking disturbing me or is it not?Seriously I'd say your best option is to take your lease to the management and claim that because of that clause you should be released, and then move.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Well they weren't here when we moved in and I was moving here from a different state. Good information though about the steps I could tak. I am trying to get a job in a different state so hopefully I don't have to live here much longer anyway.

Eh I'd say just leave the windows closed and just deal with it then. If you plan to bolt anyhow, even though you have a right to be mad, it generally isn't the wisest idea to piss off the complex manager before you split.

AustinChief
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
secondhand smoke is a myth

And we have another winner of the prestigious "I don't know shit about toxicology" award!

lewdog
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Seriously I'd say your best option is to take your lease to the management and claim that because of that clause you should be released, and then move.

Yea that is probably the only real solution. Hopefully I get this job and move in the next few months. If that happens I would probably just keep my windows closed, when I know he is home, for those few months I continue to live here before moving.

AustinChief
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Yea that is probably the only real solution. Hopefully I get this job and move in the next few months. If that happens I would probably just keep my windows closed, when I know he is home, for those few months I continue to live here before moving.

If you want to get fancy, you could look into creating a positive pressure environment so that no smoke will come in... but I'm not sure what the point of opening windows would be then.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
It may suck, but so do lots of things about neighbors in close proximity. (unless it's a hot bisexual ex-stripper who lives down the hall.. that doesn't suck at all.)

God damn why couldn't that be my problem!!! I would have plenty of solutions for that. ROFL

Bugeater
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
If you want to get fancy, you could look into creating a positive pressure environment so that no smoke will come in... but I'm not sure what the point of opening windows would be then.
Actually, if he put a fan in the farthest window from the balcony, and pointed it inside, it might keep the airflow going out of the windows closer to the balcony. May be worth a try.

chiefs2012
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
did you not hang the popcan over?

lewdog
03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
did you not hang the popcan over?

He told me we didn't need to do that anymore since he quit. Also, the manager said it was kind of an eye sore when we did it. Which is true since it looks like it is code for some sort of drug deal!

LiveSteam
03-25-2012, 06:04 PM
God dam chest cold. I would give my left nut to have a drag off a cig right now

http://www.thebarbecue.net/a_ribs_015.jpg

Bowser
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
If you're cool about it and have been a good tennant, maybe the aprtment management will move you to another apartment, if there are any openings. Ask specifically for a non smoking building? (and no, I haven't read the thread)

petegz28
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Quit bitching..you are getting to smoke for free while the sap downstairs pays $5 a pack

Lex Luthor
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Bob Dole sounds like a dumbass. Bob Dole also sounds like a smoker.

stevieray
03-25-2012, 07:34 PM

"Brainiac" sounds like he needs to prove he's not a dumbass

Brainiac also sounds like a non smoker who can't handle being "offended".

Bump
03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
that type of shit should be expected when you live in an apartment. Who's to say the other dude can't go outside on his on balcony and smoke a cig? Does your place have central air? It sucks even worse if they smoke inside cause then it comes through the vents. But that's just what you should expect going into an apartment, do you get mad when you hear footsteps from above? Should those people not be allowed to walk around in their own apartment?

J Diddy
03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
You should invite him to smoke on your balcony. Seems like all the smoke goes up to the floor above anyways.

Bane
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
If you'll puff on a cig you'll suck a dick IMHO.

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

That's pretty ridiculous. There's a difference between minor, or even major, annoyances that happen every once in a while vs. every single day for long periods of time. And there's a difference between going out in public and being subjected to someone's cologne on an elevator for 30 seconds and having it in your home.

cosmo20002
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
It isn't about the health risks, it is about the absolute stench of it for me. And for my girlfriend it is about asthma and being allergic to cigarette smoke.

Unless she is on the lease, I wouldn't play up the girlfriend angle. Why complicate things? Stick with that it stinks up your apartment.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
But that's just what you should expect going into an apartment, do you get mad when you hear footsteps from above? Should those people not be allowed to walk around in their own apartment?

Well maybe I will just walk around loud as fuck up here and see if they like it down below. Guess it is my right to not be considerate of others as well.

Bugeater
03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Well maybe I will just walk around loud as fuck up here and see if they like it down below. Guess it is my right to not be considerate of others as well.
The thing is, there's nothing they can do to avoid hearing you stomping on the floor. You can avoid smelling the smoke by closing your windows.

lewdog
03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
The thing is, there's nothing they can do to avoid hearing you stomping on the floor. You can avoid smelling the smoke by closing your windows.

But what if I am just a heavy walker?
And don't I have the right to live in my apartment and do the things I want, like my jump workout routine?

Ok I am done. Thanks for those that provided me some tips. I just wish after talking with him about it on multiple occasions, that he would be more courteous. Like walking away from the building to have a smoke. Shit maybe the inconvenient of having to walk down 1 whole flight of stairs and outside would make him quit, plus he is vastly over weight so it would be good exercise.

Ok really, I am done.

boogblaster
03-25-2012, 11:06 PM
its still a free country .. guess he can do what he wants .....

Bump
03-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Well maybe I will just walk around loud as **** up here and see if they like it down below. Guess it is my right to not be considerate of others as well.

now you're thinking

Omaha
03-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know of any state or federal regulations about second hand smoke in apartment buildings. The person below me smokes on their porch about every 15 minutes, meaning I can never have my deck door or windows open, ever! My girlfriend and I went through this same thing last spring/summer with these same assholes. At one point he agreed not to smoke out there if we hung a ****ing pop can over out balcony when our windows were to be open. He then said he was going to quite smoking and I think he did for awhile. However, today about 5 minutes after opening my windows for the first time this year, all that smoke came drifting in!

I tried googling the laws for the state of Washington but didn't find anything specific about my right to breathe clean air. Anyone have any help?

That sucks, dude. I fucking hate that smell.

Omaha
03-25-2012, 11:40 PM

C'mon. They're smoking outside because they don't want their apartment to smell like shit.

Chiefshrink
03-25-2012, 11:42 PM
2nd hand smoke and global warming/climate change biggest crocks of sh** EVER !!!

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm a smoker, (but will be quitting soon), and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke either. In fact, I make it a point to step out to smoke so my house doesn't wreak. So, I do understand what you and your g/f are going through.

However, your neighbor has every right to go outside to smoke. As a matter of fact, it's the non-smokers that took the rights away from smokers and are now forcing us to smoke outside. This may not be the case if smoking is allowed in the building, but he still has every right to choose to smoke in his home or outside.

Think about this for a second... I'm at a stop light behind a diesel truck and it takes off, my entire car fills up w/ deadly toxins from his exhaust. What can I do? Nothing. This happens to me at least 3-4 times a week driving to and from work. I suppose the next time this happens I could flag the driver down and tell him that I would appreciate it if he didn't drive his truck on the same streets I take to/from work. Does that sound logical? Not at all. I know that he has every right to drive that vehicle wherever the hell he wants.

I suppose if you really wanted to get technical... you could blame the wind for your uncomfortable situation.

J Diddy
03-26-2012, 03:01 AM
If that's your honest opinion then you are a fucking idiot. John Wayne smoked, you think he puffed the cock?

You're pretty stupid.

J Diddy
03-26-2012, 03:02 AM
If that's your honest opinion then you are a fucking idiot.

You're pretty stupid.

Earthling
03-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Sounds like you know something we don't. How long you been a smoker anyway?

Earthling
03-26-2012, 03:23 AM
So you have tried using a fan in the window Lewdog? Blowing out of apt. and not in...:D

J Diddy
03-26-2012, 04:05 AM
So you have tried using a fan in the window Lewdog? Blowing out of apt. and not in...:D
That's what I said within 20 posts of this bitch fest.
:banghead:

Bane
03-26-2012, 06:14 AM
If that's your honest opinion then you are a ****ing idiot.

You're pretty stupid.
Opinions are like assholes and I'm as entitled to mine as you are to yours.

Sounds like you know something we don't. How long you been a smoker anyway?

I do not smoke.In all honesty I believe if you will put that nasty shit into your mouth and inhale it that there is nothing you won't put in your mouth.It ****ing stinks of molten goddamn shit and the nasty smoke filled mother****ers throw their nasty goddamn trash/butts everywhere and act like someone else should clean up after their goddamn asses.

Earthling
03-26-2012, 07:29 AM
That's what I said within 20 posts of this bitch fest.
:banghead:

I saw that. But, it never was answered. Seems like that would solve the problem.

Earthling
03-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Opinions are like assholes and I'm as entitled to mine as you are to yours.

I do not smoke.In all honesty I believe if you will put that nasty shit into your mouth and inhale it that there is nothing you won't put in your mouth.It ****ing stinks of molten goddamn shit and the nasty smoke filled mother****ers throw their nasty goddamn trash/butts everywhere and act like someone else should clean up after their goddamn asses.

Slobs are everywhere...not just in the back smokin' cigs. If I'm not at home and outside I always field-dress my cigs and put the butts back in the pack. Thing is, if you call out everyone that smokes as a calk-suckers then be prepared to get that thrown back at ya. :D

Frazod
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Some thoughts:

1. First off, fuck you. Seriously.

2. You live in an apartment. You think some guy going OUTSIDE to smoke is horrible? Wait until a family of curry-reeking Indians moves in next door. That smell leeches through the walls and never goes away, 24/7. You'd lick an ashtray to get the smell of it out of your head. Other wonderful neighbors include those with screaming babies, dogs that never stop barking, punks that blast their music so loud that the bass makes your fillings rattle, trash that scream, yell and fight each other at all hours, I could go on and on. You don't like it? Buy a fucking house. Of course, being on the Left Coast, it seems you should be able to find a non-smoking apartment at the Communist Arms. That'll work out great for you, at least until you start doing something they don't approve of.

3. Second hand smoke blowing in your window occasionally isn't going to hurt you. There is no constitutional amendment protecting you from bad smells, regardless of what you see on TV. If there was, the non-bathing pig who sat behind me on the train this morning who smelled like a garlic-drenched corpse would get the death penalty. Things in life sometimes stink. Grow a pair and deal with it.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Why is your right to have your windows open greater than his right to smoke outside?

This is apartment life, if you don't like it, buy a house... Of course then you still might have neighbors who smoke outside... May I suggest a county estate in Svalbard...?

"But I have a constitutional right never to have to smell something I don't like..."

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
You live in an apartment. You think some guy going OUTSIDE to smoke is horrible? Wait until a family of curry-reeking Indians moves in next door. That smell leeches through the walls and never goes away, 24/7. You'd lick an ashtray to get the smell of it out of your head. Other wonderful neighbors include those with screaming babies, dogs that never stop barking, punks that blast their music so loud that the bass makes your fillings rattle, trash that scream, yell and fight each other at all hours, I could go on and on. You don't like it? Buy a fucking house. Of course, being on the Left Coast, it seems you should be able to find a non-smoking apartment at the Communist Arms. That'll work out great for you, at least until you start doing something they don't approve of.

I agree, smokers are way down the list of annoying people to live near. Seriously, all he has to do is shut those particular windows. Big fcking deal.

I'll take a smoker downstairs over people with babies, people with kids, people with pets, people who cook fish or Indian food like you say... Fatasses upstairs who can't tiptoe around without waking you up... You probably wake them up all the time and they probably have to listen to all your activities up there.

Like everyone else says... Shut the window, boo freaking hoo

Iowanian
03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
what if..when you were on your deck, the smell of cig smoke made you suddenly and uncontrollably incontinent?

DaFace
03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Some thoughts:

1. First off, fuck you. Seriously.

2. You live in an apartment. You think some guy going OUTSIDE to smoke is horrible? Wait until a family of curry-reeking Indians moves in next door. That smell leeches through the walls and never goes away, 24/7. You'd lick an ashtray to get the smell of it out of your head. Other wonderful neighbors include those with screaming babies, dogs that never stop barking, punks that blast their music so loud that the bass makes your fillings rattle, trash that scream, yell and fight each other at all hours, I could go on and on. You don't like it? Buy a fucking house. Of course, being on the Left Coast, it seems you should be able to find a non-smoking apartment at the Communist Arms. That'll work out great for you, at least until you start doing something they don't approve of.

3. Second hand smoke blowing in your window occasionally isn't going to hurt you. There is no constitutional amendment protecting you from bad smells, regardless of what you see on TV. If there was, the non-bathing pig who sat behind me on the train this morning who smelled like a garlic-drenched corpse would get the death penalty. Things in life sometimes stink. Grow a pair and deal with it.

I don't entirely disagree with your general take, but keep in mind that his gf has asthma. There's a moderate health concern here in addition to "eww...it smells funny."

FishingRod
03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
""Yes, this building has a smoking policy and that policy is not to disturb other residents."
Does that mean you should not bother the smokers?

Frazod
03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I don't entirely disagree with your general take, but keep in mind that his gf has asthma. There's a moderate health concern here in addition to "eww...it smells funny."

So what? Again, the guy's smoking outside and they can smell the smoke when their windows are open - it's not like the guy kicks in the door, holds her down and blows smoke in her face. He's outside. OUTSIDE. If she doesn't like the direction the wind blows the smoke, I guess she should complain to God. While she's at it, I guess she could file a complaint with Him for being given asthma in the first place.

Is everybody who happens to come within 50' of this woman supposed to stop smoking because she might catch a whiff of it?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
He rented an apartment. He didn't rent the right to suck April fresh air in through his windows.

A lot of people smoke. If you can't stand being near someone who smokes, don't live in an apartment complex.

I agree that smoking is disgusting, and most smokers seem to be pricks who throw their trash on the ground. It sucks, but you don't have to live in an apartment. If you choose to do so, get used to the smoke.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
So what? Again, the guy's smoking outside and they can smell the smoke when their windows are open - it's not like the guy kicks in the door, holds her down and blows smoke in her face. He's outside. OUTSIDE. If she doesn't like the direction the wind blows the smoke, I guess she should complain to God. While she's at it, I guess she could file a complaint with Him for being given asthma in the first place.

Is everybody who happens to come within 50' of this woman supposed to stop smoking because she might catch a whiff of it?

There is no health issue. All they have to do is close the window.

Their complaint is really not health or smoke related at all, isn't that they can't open their windows on that side.

Dartgod
03-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Awesome rant aside, I seriously doubt enough smoke (if any at all) is actually entering the apartment.

Sure, you can smell it, but is it really enough to affect an asthma sufferer? If she's that sensitive to cigarette smoke, then walking down a busy city street must be damn near debilitating.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
No one is allergic to smoke. There is no such thing as a smoke allergy.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Awesome rant aside, I seriously doubt enough smoke (if any at all) is actually entering the apartment.

Sure, you can smell it, but is it really enough to affect an asthma sufferer? If she's that sensitive to cigarette smoke, then walking down a busy city street must be damn near debilitating.

Exactly.

Simply Red
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
You'd never bitch if they were smoking joints.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
There is no health issue. All they have to do is close the window.

Their complaint is really not health or smoke related at all, isn't that they can't open their windows on that side.

He can still open his window. When he does, he's going to suck air into his apartment that had previously been outside his apartment. When you live around hundreds of people, sometimes that air is going to smell like exhaust or cigarette smoke or food or a fireplace.

You don't own the air outside your apartment, and people don't have to make sure that the air smells a certain way in case you want to bring some of it into your window.

KurtCobain
03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
My neighbors smoke weed and meth. The weed only bothers me because I smell it in my bathroom every night, and I miss smoking it. Them smoking meth bothers me because there is a set of eyes watching me through their blinds every time I go outside. Creepy.

siberian khatru
03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
If that's your honest opinion then you are a ****ing idiot. John Wayne smoked, you think he puffed the cock?

You're pretty stupid.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uv_WGEHr4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
My neighbors smoke weed and meth. The weed only bothers me because I smell it in my bathroom every night, and I miss smoking it. Them smoking meth bothers me because there is a set of eyes watching me through their blinds every time I go outside. Creepy.

S CRYSLER AVE!!!!! one time!

lewdog
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm a smoker, (but will be quitting soon), and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke either. In fact, I make it a point to step out to smoke so my house doesn't wreak. So, I do understand what you and your g/f are going through.

However, your neighbor has every right to go outside to smoke. As a matter of fact, it's the non-smokers that took the rights away from smokers and are now forcing us to smoke outside. This may not be the case if smoking is allowed in the building, but he still has every right to choose to smoke in his home or outside.

Think about this for a second... I'm at a stop light behind a diesel truck and it takes off, my entire car fills up w/ deadly toxins from his exhaust. What can I do? Nothing. This happens to me at least 3-4 times a week driving to and from work. I suppose the next time this happens I could flag the driver down and tell him that I would appreciate it if he didn't drive his truck on the same streets I take to/from work. Does that sound logical? Not at all. I know that he has every right to drive that vehicle wherever the hell he wants.

I suppose if you really wanted to get technical... you could blame the wind for your uncomfortable situation.

I understand but here is the problem, that side of the apartment is pretty much all the windows in this apartment besides one! He could easily smoke out his front door so I could have my balcony, kitchen and bedroom windows open. I guess that is too much of an inconvenience even though it is the exact same distance to smoke out his front door rather than his balcony.

Seriously, all he has to do is shut those particular windows. Big fcking deal.

So all my windows have to be shut, meaning when it hits about 70 degrees outside, my apartment is at 80 degrees (since it is a top unit) and there is no AC here in many places in the Northwest, including my apartment.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 09:38 AM
And thank you for those telling me to buy a house, guess I needed a clue on that one. Too bad I am a graduate student and don't have the income to afford a house at this point.

lcarus
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
So this guy smokes outdoors, a floor below you? Does his second hand smoke actually go into your apartment? Outside, I would think the smoke would dissipate before it made it that far. You're probably just smelling the scent of one smoking a cigarette, in which case, there isn't a lot you can do but deal with it. If someone is cooking something with a less than desirable odor, you're also out of luck.

Best thing to do is just go talk to the guy. Tell him the smell bothers you and ask if he could please go to the parking lot to smoke if he sees your windows and/or patio door open. If he refuses, I guess you'll have to move to another apartment in the building, or another apartment complex altogether.

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Buy an attic fan and point it towards his deck.

KurtCobain
03-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh, that's creepy, sr. I totally do live on s crysler.

KCUnited
03-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Just buy a house, guy. Problem solved.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Have you ever had your bronchial walls tighten, even a little? It isn't a great feeling and even a mild attack is somewhat scary. Mostly is causes her eyes to water a bit and nose to run. On occasion when he has been chain smoking out there it causes a minor asthma attack for her, which although minor, is not fun.

Simply Red
03-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Yes. This, Just buy a house, brother.

notorious
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
No one is allergic to smoke. There is no such thing as a smoke allergy.

Smoke = Cuts down on Oxygen in lungs.

It's not an allergy, but it certainly affects asthma.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 09:46 AM
So this guy smokes outdoors, a floor below you? Does his second hand smoke actually go into your apartment? Outside, I would think the smoke would dissipate before it made it that far. You're probably just smelling the scent of one smoking a cigarette, in which case, there isn't a lot you can do but deal with it. If someone is cooking something with a less than desirable odor, you're also out of luck.

Best thing to do is just go talk to the guy. Tell him the smell bothers you and ask if he could please go to the parking lot to smoke if he sees your windows and/or patio door open. If he refuses, I guess you'll have to move to another apartment in the building, or another apartment complex altogether.

I have talked to him about 5 times over the past year, so it seems I am at the point of dealing with it for a few months and then moving.

Buy an attic fan and point it towards his deck.

Weirdly the fan doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I need to buy a more powerful one?

Yes I know, all the income I have from being a student. Got it.

Fish
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Have you ever had your bronchial walls tighten, even a little? It isn't a great feeling and even a mild attack is somewhat scary. Mostly is causes her eyes to water a bit and nose to run. On occasion when he has been chain smoking out there it causes a minor asthma attack for her, which although minor, is not fun.

Again, if it affects her that bad, then she should make that an important consideration when choosing her living arrangements. But she doesn't, and simply expects everyone else around her to change their habits to convenience her, even though they're doing nothing wrong.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Again, if it affects her that bad, then she should make that an important consideration when choosing her living arrangements. But she doesn't, and simply expects everyone else around her to change their habits to convenience her, even though they're doing nothing wrong.

Well I lived here first and she moved over a few months afterwards. The people that lived below us first were the managers here as well but they didn't smoke. The new manager's moved in about 3 months after my girlfriend moved over and I guess they don't think they are "disturbing" me with their smoking which is what it says in the lease.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
It's not the rest of the world's fault you went to graduate school instead of the workforce.

Hey world, I know there are 6 billion people out there, but I don't have a full-time job and can't afford my own place. As a result, I need all of you to be really quiet and not produce any smells that may offend me. Thanks for your co-operation.

Simply Red
03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
You should maybe put her down brah.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
It's not the rest of the world's fault you went to graduate school instead of the workforce.

Hey world, I know there are 6 billion people out there, but I don't have a full-time job and can't afford my own place. As a result, I need all of you to be really quiet and not produce any smells that may offend me. Thanks for your co-operation.

Some of you are so ****ing dumb it is amazing. Do you know that many of the jobs that benefit society require a Master's degree? Or shit, even a MD. But you are right, **** all that shit and just start working. We don't need doctors or therapists to help sick people!!!!

Dartgod
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM

No, I don't have asthma.

I'm not sure you ever answered my question earlier. Do you see actual smoke entering your apartment? Or are you just smelling it?

When one of my neighbors is grilling outside, I can smell the charcoal burning, yet no smoke actually enters my house.

I'm just curious how the smell of a cigarette can trigger an asthma attack.

DaFace
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Some of you are so ****ing dumb it is amazing. Do you know that many of the jobs that benefit society require a Master's degree? Or shit, even a MD. But you are right, **** all that shit and just start working. We don't need doctors or therapists to help sick people!!!!

Friendly tip: you've gotten all that you're going to get out of this thread. Sometimes, it's best to walk away.

Fish
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Well I lived here first and she moved over a few months afterwards. The people that lived below us first were the managers here as well but they didn't smoke. The new manager's moved in about 3 months after my girlfriend moved over and I guess they don't think they are "disturbing" me with their smoking which is what it says in the lease.

I don't see how that makes any difference. She still neglected to choose somewhere that guarantees no smoke in the atmosphere.

And that little bit in the lease sounds completely unenforceable. Proving that someone smoking outside of the residence is "disturbing" you would be a tough chore.

The bottom line... you're too poor to be a snob about this sort of thing.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
No, I don't have asthma.

I'm not sure you ever answered my question earlier. Do you see actual smoke entering your apartment? Or are you just smelling it?

When one of my neighbors is grilling outside, I can smell the charcoal burning, yet no smoke actually enters my house.

I'm just curious how the smell of a cigarette can trigger an asthma attack.

Usually it is just the smell although as I said when he is chain smoking I can see a bit of smoke actually coming in. I understand the point you are trying to make, if it is just the smell, this is a nuisance and not a health concern. I just hate having my house get to 80 degree when it is nice outside because I have to keep all my windows closed. And yes I know, I need to move.

Just seems like the statement in the lease about not disturbing me with his smoking should cover my apartment not smelling of that awful shit? Seriously if he smoked out his front door I wouldn't smell it much if at all and we both could still have our rights.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM

I am acutely aware of the fact that jobs require varying degrees of education.

You seem to be unaware of the fact that the world isn't going to stop spinning until you complete your education and purchase your own place. You chose to stay in school and be broke for a while instead of getting a full time job. That's great, and it will likely serve you well in the long-term. Everything comes at a cost. In this case, the cost includes having to put up with the crap that comes with community living.

penchief
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
From my experience, about one-third of the smoking population understands their responsibilities and conducts themselves with courtesy towards others. I really have a lot of respect for those smokers who are conscientious in that regard.

The other two-thirds either doesn't get it or doesn't give a shit. Bottom line is that one's choice to smoke is strictly their choice. It is not anyone's place to tell them they can't kill themselves with cigarettes if that is what they choose to do. However, it is also not the smokers place to expose others who choose not to smoke to the consequences of their habit.

I am constantly amazed at the number of smokers who feel it is their right to expose others (including defenseless children) to the health consequences of second hand smoke. It also amazes me that they feel they can just toss their butts onto the ground for others to follow behind them and clean up after their nastiness.

JMHO...

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't see how that makes any difference. She still neglected to choose somewhere that guarantees no smoke in the atmosphere.

And that little bit in the lease sounds completely unenforceable. Proving that someone smoking outside of the residence is "disturbing" you would be a tough chore.

The bottom line... you're too poor to be a snob about this sort of thing.

The last line, isn't that the truth! Some day this education will get me somewhere........I hope!

Frazod
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Friendly tip: you've gotten all that you're going to get out of this thread. Sometimes, it's best to walk away.

We've been overdue for a good anti-smoking Nazi free-for-all thread. Somebody should post a link to the last one.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Usually it is just the smell although as I said when he is chain smoking I can see a bit of smoke actually coming in. I understand the point you are trying to make, if it is just the smell, this is a nuisance and not a health concern. I just hate having my house get to 80 degree when it is nice outside because I have to keep all my windows closed. And yes I know, I need to move.

Just seems like the statement in the lease about not disturbing me with his smoking should cover my apartment not smelling of that awful shit? Seriously if he smoked out his front door I wouldn't smell it much if at all and we both could still have our rights.

He isn't making your apartment smell like smoke. He's making the air outside your apartment smell like smoke. If you choose to open your windows and invite that air into your apartment, they YOU have made your apartment smell like smoke.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I am acutely aware of the fact that jobs require varying degrees of education.

You seem to be unaware of the fact that the world isn't going to stop spinning until you complete your education and purchase your own place. You chose to stay in school and be broke for a while instead of getting a full time job. That's great, and it will likely serve you well in the long-term. Everything comes at a cost. In this case, the cost includes having to put up with the crap that comes with community living.

Thank you for clarifying your above post. You are right and I generally haven't had a problem with my neighbors, even the loud ones or the drug dealers I lived by.

We have decided to just not push this any further since we hope to be moving in the next few months. I will make sure the next lease or property is smoke free!

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
We've been overdue for a good anti-smoking Nazi free-for-all thread. Somebody should post a link to the last one.

I have friends that do smoke they just happen to be more courteous. I fully told this man that when he smokes out his front door, I have no problem with it because all the windows on my side of the house can be open then. I am not trying to take his right away but I think what I proposed was a fair compromise for both of us.

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Damn. Kicking lewdog in the nuts over his financial situation? That's pretty stone cold. The fact is, he's going to run into this shit, even if he could afford to buy a house. I'm referring to annoyances in general though, not just dealing w/ neighbors that smoke.

We have neighbors directly behind us that smoke. The smoke itself doesn't lurk into our yard, but due to them being smokers, they are constantly outside. Like I stated in my earlier post, I step outside for a smoke. Almost every time I'm out there, they are too. They have 3 dogs and one of the little rat-bastards will bark at any little sound. So, there I am trying to relax and I'm forced to listen to barking. But that's not the bad part, the owner yells at their dog every time it barks. :facepalm: Annoying as all hell.

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Weirdly the fan doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I need to buy a more powerful one?

Yep. Attic fan.

Fish
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
The last line, isn't that the truth! Some day this education will get me somewhere........I hope!

Keep with it, and it will get you there!

It sounds like the girlfriend is the one that's really bothered by this, and you're just trying to make things right so she quits complaining every 15 minutes. We've all been there...

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Damn. Kicking lewdog in the nuts over his financial situation? That's pretty stone cold. The fact is, he's going to run into this shit, even if he could afford to buy a house. I'm referring to annoyances in general though, not just dealing w/ neighbors that smoke.

We have neighbors directly behind us that smoke. The smoke itself doesn't lurk into our yard, but due to them being smokers, they are constantly outside. Like I stated in my earlier post, I step outside for a smoke. Almost every time I'm out there, they are too. They have 3 dogs and one of the little rat-bastards will bark at any little sound. So, there I am trying to relax and I'm forced to listen to barking. But that's not the bad part, the owner yells at their dog every time it barks. :facepalm: Annoying as all hell.

I would expect nothing less from CP that making fun of someone's financial situation....totally cool with that. I laugh at myself sometimes as well!

Thank you for good post, especially coming from someone who does smoke. I am not anti-smoking because I think we all choose to do things that others may or may not like. I was just frustrated because I thought I proposed a fair compromise but he doesn't want to be courteous enough and therefor I have to live in a hot, stuffy apartment. It sucks but I guess it is my life for the next few months.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Keep with it, and it will get you there!

It sounds like the girlfriend is the one that's really bothered by this, and you're just trying to make things right so she quits complaining every 15 minutes. We've all been there...

Thanks, almost done. Had an interview last week for a job too!

Haha pretty much right. It is a nuisance to me but it does effect her....and yes complaining comes with that. Complaining-----The best thing a woman does!

Huffmeister
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I fully told this man that when he smokes out his front door, I have no problem with it because all the windows on my side of the house can be open then. I am not trying to take his right away but I think what I proposed was a fair compromise for both of us.
Seems to me that the clause in the lease would apply more towards people smoking by their front doors, assuming that people would HAVE to walk by him in order to get to their apartments. Not sure what the layout of the building complex is. Maybe he did start smoking by his front door until someone else complained.

Bowser
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Buy her one of those hot flash fans. SHe can turn it on everytime she smells the foulness.

Good luck on finding a less stinky apartment down the road.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I have friends that do smoke they just happen to be more courteous. I fully told this man that when he smokes out his front door, I have no problem with it because all the windows on my side of the house can be open then. I am not trying to take his right away but I think what I proposed was a fair compromise for both of us.

You don't own outside, or pay his rent. He can do what he wants. The. End.

I stand on my deck and smoke cigars sometimes. If you told me you didn't like it, I'd tell you to go take a flying fuck at the moon.

Huffmeister
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks, almost done. Had an interview last week for a job too!

Haha pretty much right. It is a nuisance to me but it does effect her....and yes complaining comes with that. Complaining-----The best thing a woman does!
You're a woman?

penguinz
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
No, I don't have asthma.

I'm just curious how the smell of a cigarette can trigger an asthma attack.Smells can trigger asthma attacks in some people.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Seems to me that the clause in the lease would apply more towards people smoking by their front doors, assuming that people would HAVE to walk by him in order to get to their apartments. Not sure what the layout of the building complex is. Maybe he did start smoking by his front door until someone else complained.

I don't think that is the case. These are pretty small units, 4 apartment doors are all on one side. All windows for each unit are on the balcony side besides the small bedroom window which people rarely have open.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Don't know if the post was directed at me, but I'm not bagging on him for his financial situation.

He made a choice to postpone entering the workforce. In so doing, he pretty well resigned himself to being broke for a while.

I've been there. Apartment living sucks, and having to choose between keeping your windows closed and smelling smoke sucks. Everything is a trade-off in life, though. You don't get to live in an apartment because it's cheap without having to put up with neighbors doing things that annoy you.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Don't know if the post was directed at me, but I'm not bagging on him for his financial situation.

He made a choice to postpone entering the workforce. In so doing, he pretty well resigned himself to being broke for a while.

I've been there. Apartment living sucks, and having to choose between keeping your windows closed and smelling smoke sucks. Everything is a trade-off in life, though. You don't get to live in an apartment because it's cheap without having to put up with neighbors doing things that annoy you.

lewdog
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
You're a woman?

I felt like it when I made this thread yesterday! I was just extremely frustrated because it was the first day over 60 degrees here in 2012 (been gloomy as fuck) and wanted to open my windows. Within 10 minutes of doing so I got that familiar smell. I generally don't get pissed about much and I am very laid back. I just though both he and I had handled all of this on about 5 separate occasions in an adult manner and we both found something we could agree on. Guess not.

Fish
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I would expect nothing less from CP that making fun of someone's financial situation....totally cool with that. I laugh at myself sometimes as well!

Thank you for good post, especially coming from someone who does smoke. I am not anti-smoking because I think we all choose to do things that others may or may not like. I was just frustrated because I thought I proposed a fair compromise but he doesn't want to be courteous enough and therefor I have to live in a hot, stuffy apartment. It sucks but I guess it is my life for the next few months.

I think the problem could be that the neighbor sees no reason why any "compromise" should be necessary. He's smoking outside, and as far as he's concerned, "Hey, at least I'm not smoking indoors and really stinking up the building."

Simply Red
03-26-2012, 10:43 AM

I have a phenomenal apartment, and I can afford a house. SUPRISE NIGGA!

bevischief
03-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Smoke bombs.

jidar
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Check.

Um. yeah. yeah it does.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a phenomenal apartment, and I can afford a house. SUPRISE ****A!

That's cool. He's made it clear that he can't, though.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Um. yeah. yeah it does.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgEcs8cIVLAddUzUYDFscX7jXi1mWxp24SCKu087yA1ht-cZrY

Mr. Flopnuts
03-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Would you feel the same way if you were posting from your other account?

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Um. yeah. yeah it does.

:spock:

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Would you feel the same way if you were posting from your other account?

Suddenly this thread is bursting with burst.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Heh. Looks like gaydar has incurred the Wrath of Lumpy. :popcorn:

Iowanian
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
uh oh....some people bout to be hated 4 life

Bowser
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Suddenly this thread is bursting with burst.

No kidding. OUT THE MULT!!! UNLEASH THE WRATH OF LUMPY!!!!

Frazod
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
No kidding. OUT THE MULT!!! UNLEASH THE WRATH OF LUMPY!!!!

All mults should be outed.

FishingRod
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Do any of you neighbors have cats? There seems to much more evidence of Pet allergies having a correlation to asthma attacks than 2nd hand smoke. Well that and laughter.
Hopefully there are not any particularly humorous felines in the area. I suspect your overall reaction to the situation is similar to a vegan that becomes ill when they smell meat cooking. Their feeling of nausea is quite real to them but, it really does not indicate they have been poisoned. I suspect if you and the Lady Friend were to do a little experiment where every time you smelled some smoke you gave one another the big OOOhh.... in short order you would be searching for Marlboro scented cologne.

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Heh. Looks like gaydar has incurred the Wrath of Lumpy. :popcorn:

I'm just trying to figure out why the Nicotine-Nazi's of America, like jidar, can call me white trash just because I smoke?

I find this interesting. I own a beautiful home in a nice middle-class income neighborhood, drive a nice vehicle, and work my ass of at a full-time job. Yet, I'm immediately tagged as being white trash because I smoke.

Jidar, am I doing this wrong? Do I need to throw a used toilet in the front yard and use it as a planter or something? Should I buy a banjo from a pawnshop?

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't know anyone in the past who ever had to live in less than palatial conditions whilst a university student. What's this world coming to?

jidar
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Yeah. Just how I feel about it.

I suppose it's because I come from a white trash background where my parents, and nearly every single adult they knew or interacted with smoked with the exception of a few of the more successful and nice people. Not only that, those were all the kids who started smoking in highschool.

It's not just me either, I mean every time some movie sets up scene with white trash characters the cigarette is a big part of the image.

It's not fair, and it's not always true, I realize that, but it's my knee jerk reaction when I see someone with a cigarette.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm just trying to figure out why the Nicotine-Nazi's of America, like jidar, can call me white trash just because I smoke?

I find this interesting. I own a beautiful home in a nice middle-class income neighborhood, drive a nice vehicle, and work my ass of at a full-time job. Yet, I'm immediately tagged as being white trash because I smoke?

It's not that smoking makes a person white trash. Smoking is just one example of a common white trash interest, like NASCAR, lottery tickets, casinos, truck stop restaurants, camaros, mullets, smokeless tobbacco, buttrock music, cheap beer, custody disputes, EBT cards...

Okie_Apparition
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
If she is trying to corral your balls into her purse over it
consider this as a good problem

Beef Supreme
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
At more than five bucks a pack, you should be paying him for the smoke you are getting for free.

Dartgod
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
At more than five bucks a pack, you should be paying him for the smoke you are getting for free.

ROFL

J Diddy
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
It's not that smoking makes a person white trash. Smoking is just one example of a common white trash interest, like NASCAR, lottery tickets, casinos, truck stop restaurants, camaros, mullets, smokeless tobbacco, buttrock music, cheap beer, custody disputes, EBT cards...

Everything on that list is grade A awesome.

:thumb:

tooge
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
this is very simple. You stated, "the person below me" right? Well, as in any wartime situation, you have the large advantage of altitude. You can piss on your deck and let it drip through, stomp around all hours of the night and keep them up, spill shit in a corner and let it leak through their ceiling, etc. The possibilities are endless.

tooge
03-26-2012, 01:53 PM

I find this interesting. I own a beautiful home in a nice middle-class income neighborhood, drive a nice vehicle, and work my ass of at a full-time job. Yet, I'm immediately tagged as being white trash because I smoke.

Jidar, am I doing this wrong? Do I need to throw a used toilet in the front yard and use it as a planter or something? Should I buy a banjo from a pawnshop?

Lumpy, its not that you are white trash if you smoke. It's that all guys know the old saying "if she smokes, she pokes", and so it makes you look more, uh, well you know.

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Lumpy, its not that you are white trash if you smoke. It's that all guys know the old saying "if she smokes, she pokes", and so it makes you look more, uh, well you know.

Dartgod
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM

That's why were voting her out of the Planet Survivor game.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Lumpy seems a bit irritable today. Gonzo had better be on his best behaviour! :D

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
How many white trash people do you know, that don't smoke?

Omaha
03-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Dude, I would be pissed, too. However, the guys who said you're probably SOL until you can afford your own place are right. Have you asked to switch apartments? If you're moving anyway, can you ask to be let out of the lease early?

I hate smoke as much as anyone, but you have to deal with all sorts of shitbags when you live in an apartment.

Dartgod
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Dude, I would be pissed, too. However, the guys who said you're probably SOL until you can afford your own place are right. Have you asked to switch apartments? If you're moving anyway, can you ask to be let out of the lease early?

I hate smoke as much as anyone, but you have to deal with all sorts of shitbags when you live in an apartment.

Smoking a cigarette out on his deck, which is perfectly legal = Shitbag

Right :rolleyes:

Omaha
03-26-2012, 02:23 PM

No. Someone's a little sensitive.... That's not what I was saying. I'm saying there are a lot of shitbags in all apartment complexes. Having to keep his windows closed because of a smoker is a small price compared to some of the shitbags he could be dealing with.

FishingRod
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Next thing ya know he will be drinking beer

Carlota69
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
At one apartment I lived in I had a guy and his girlfriend that lived below me that were out on their patio smoking just about 20 hours a day. It drove me nuts. I asked the guy to stop real nice like and he told me to **** off. So, I pissed on the door handle of his car.

ROFL I love that.

Fish
03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Next thing ya know he will be drinking beer

Yup. And of course, it would be cheap beer. From a can. Probably not even cold.

Lumpy
03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
That's why were voting her out of the Planet Survivor game.

LMAO

Lumpy seems a bit irritable today. Gonzo had better be on his best behaviour! :D

Yeah, and it's not even that time of the month. :hmmm: Btw, I just got a call from Gonzo. He made a special trip to one of my favorite candy stores and picked up a box of chocolates for me. He must really think he's in the doghouse. ROFL

Hell, I'm not going to complain. I love me some chocolate! :drool:

Frazod
03-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Omaha'd be singing a different tune if the smoker was a 90 pound woman with A cup boobs.