PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Field Yates soon to be on the radio.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Here's Field Yates' blog. He's a scout and former Haley assistant:

http://thoughtsfromthefield.tumblr.com/

He is an informative writer and has the inside scoop often on the Pioli regime and scouting in general.

He's on right now, hosting by AP:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/chop-talk/2012/03/26/chop-talk--episode-3

Bewbies
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Let us know if anything good comes up.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I'll listen most of the time. I'll do my best.

Yates: Hillis will be the fan's favorite player next year.

Thig Lyfe
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
What's a Chiefs?

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Yates: Hillis will be the fan's favorite player next year.

After Thomas Jones, any productive RB that spells for Jamaal Charles will be a fan favorite.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Most obvious need for the Chiefs is NT, ILB depth or a starter at the Belcher position, and interior offensive line. A "third anchor" to replace Lilja.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Talking about Poe: production wasn't there despite great Combine number, but that won't matter if Pioli & crew think he can learn the fundamentals of the 2 gap.

The guy that makes more sense every day to Yates is Kuechly. Doing the whole sploog on him now.

ILB in Crennel's system is "not easy to do," but Kuechly can come in Day One and master it.

Okie_Apparition
03-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I bet his phone will be bugged by monday night

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Two hardest position to find a position to find in the Crennel defense is the NT and the Mike backer (the Belcher position).

He likes Belcher, but Kuechly reminds him of Mayo, and would play the position superbly. He's "sure fire." Not a luxury pick.

ModSocks
03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Most obvious need for the Chiefs is NT, ILB depth or a starter at the Belcher position, and interior offensive line. A "third anchor" to replace Lilja.

Oh, what? So he agrees with? I like this guy.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Interviewer asks the same question I have: isn't Kuechly more of a Will backer (the DJ position)? Can Kuechly hit the hole?

Yates: Sure. Kuechly played in a poor program in Boston College last year, and Kuechly was pretty much the one and only talent on the field, which resulted in him scrambling all over the field last year, giving him the look of a Will. But he can play the Mike great, and will stay on the field all three downs.

Not even Ray Lewis is a three down guy. DJ could play five downs if he had to (lol), but Kuechly would stay out on third down because he can drop so well.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Q: What are they looking for at the NT?

Yates: You gotta be football smart and mentally strong. Selfless, doesn't care about the fact that he's going to have shit stats year in and year out. Low center of gravity, gotta bend and squat like a mother****er, and move laterally well. Leverage is everything, contain the center and clog everything.

Chiefs didn't think Franklin could be that, despite his physical ability. We don't even know if he's a part of bounty-gate though.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Interviewer asks the same question I have: isn't Kuechly more of a Will backer (the DJ position)? Can Kuechly hit the hole?

Yates: Sure. Kuechly played in a poor program in Boston College last year, and Kuechly was pretty much his one and only, which resulted in him scrambling all over the field last year, giving him the look of a Will. But he can play the Mike great, and will stay on the field all three downs.

Not even Ray Lewis is a three down guy. DJ could play five downs if he had to (lol), but Kuechly would stay out on third down because he can drop so well.

Interesting view, and that was my biggest question about Kuechly also. If the team feels the same way, I could definitely see him being the pick.

RealSNR
Says Chiefs would be fine with a 30 tackle .5 sack NT on the year.

Ta'amu in the draft it is.

ChiefMojo
Said likely Belcher/Seiler would be run package guys (and I'm sure Special Teams) with Kuechly on the roster.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Says Chiefs would be fine with a 30 tackle .5 sack NT on the year.

Ta'amu in the draft it is.

Sounds like he's describing Josh Chapman to me.

RealSNR
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Sounds like he's describing Josh Chapman to me.
That too

RealSNR
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Sean Spence as a run support safety in a sub-package?

Why not?

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Random question:

Q: What about that Sean Spence guy from Miami (FL)? He's a 220 lb linebacker who could perhaps play the Jon McGraw role. Does that guy have a value in our subsets? How can teams judge value based on a guy like that?

Yates: Teams are playing 40-60 % of their snaps in subpackages. We played with 7 defensive backs the entire time against Manning a couple years ago. So getting a guy who can do that is just as good as getting a starter in many cases. Berry can be it all, so his injury deflated this team, because it thrusted a role guy (McGraw) into a full time guy. Blech.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
They have a chart set up that says they value this position more than that position, including all different roles and different packages, and different roles on special teams. They have a value chart basically.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
They get to the elephant in the room:

Q: What does Cassel need to pick up to take that step forward?

Yates: Stay healthy. Matt's physical abilities are there, but three areas to improve: 1. patience, 2. make better decisions, 3. stay poised.

OL is better, but will need some time. Offense will be run heavy. Chiefs invested a lot in free agency to improve the offense.

He thinks Cassel can take the Chiefs "to the top of the AFC West," but Manning complicates that.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
That's all.

So. There you have it.

I'd say this interview means that Kuechly's the front runner if the Chiefs stay at #11.

Okie_Apparition
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
The big C

ChiefMojo
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I would be 100% cool with Kuechly at #11. He would really upgrade our run defense and also is very solid in pass coverage. Yates described him as a Jerrod Mayo type ILB.

Hammock Parties
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Matt's physical abilities are there

The fuck you say? Yates is either lying or ignorant.

He thinks Cassel can take the Chiefs "to the top of the AFC West," but Manning complicates that.

LMAO

This guy is nothing but a bullshit artist.

We have the worst QB in the divison. How's he supposed to take us to the top?

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
From Yates' blog:

At the age of 31, Franklin may not be the long-term solution Scott Pioli is looking for in the middle of his defense, but he may just be the best guy out there. He has the ability to anchor, two-gap, and the agility to move laterally and make plays off of blocks. The Chiefs have done well to fill needs this offseason, and landing Franklin would afford the team the ability to value pick at number 11 in the draft. I’ve long held that the player who could most benefit Kansas City at that slot is Boston College LB Luke Kuechly, a shoo-in to start on Day 1.

ChiefMojo
03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Remember this is a guy that was in the Chiefs organization. They either don't like talking bad about Cassel or the organization is that much in love with Cassel... pretty much blind about his faults. Who knows?

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Remember this is a guy that was in the Chiefs organization. They either don't like talking bad about Cassel or the organization is that much in love with Cassel... pretty much blind about his faults. Who knows?

I'm more interested in the Kuechly pick.

I think Yates is indicating that Kuechly will be the pick.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Milkman isn't going to like this.

RealSNR
03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd rather take the fucking guard over Kuechly. Seriously. That pick underwhelms me that much.

But hey... good players are good players I guess. I should be thankful. We could have let Winston go to another team and then drafted Reiff. That would have been an abortion.

RealSNR
03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
We signed Belcher to a one-year deal. Drafting Kuechly cuts his snaps in half. Hell, it does more than half. It probably takes away 70% of his defensive snaps.

If I'm Belcher I'd play out my one year deal and then say, "Fuck you guys. I'm leaving."

The way Belcher was improving, his trajectory was a damn fine player. I would have rather kept him and spent the first rounder on a different position.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd rather take the ****ing guard over Kuechly. Seriously. That pick underwhelms me that much.

But hey... good players are good players I guess. I should be thankful. We could have let Winston go to another team and then drafted Reiff. That would have been an abortion.

Just keep in mind the Steelers have had two #1 picks at the ILB position for a long time.

So two-gapping teams do hold the position in high regard. And Crennel does consider that Mike backer role to be the hardest to fill on the roster, alongside the NT.

Interesting stuff.

Coogs
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Yates: Stay healthy. Matt's physical abilities are there, but three areas to improve: 1. patience, 2. make better decisions, 3. stay poised.

I take it these three items are a nice way of saying he has no pocket awareness, and he has trouble reading defenses. I don't remember where I read this... or what the number is actually... but I thought that once an NFL QB has around 50 career starts, you really know what you have in a QB. Cassel is past that number, and nearing 30 years of age. I would think it is pretty safe to say he is never going to develop those skills.

the Talking Can
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
They have a chart set up that says they value this position more than that position, including all different roles and different packages, and different roles on special teams. They have a value chart basically.

which is why we aren't drafting a guard at #11

the Talking Can
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
interesting stuff, thanks for the recap

Bewbies
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Interesting that Crennel considers his Mike position as hard to fill as NT...that would increase value there to us big time.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 08:20 PM
We signed Belcher to a one-year deal. Drafting Kuechly cuts his snaps in half. Hell, it does more than half. It probably takes away 70% of his defensive snaps.

If I'm Belcher I'd play out my one year deal and then say, "Fuck you guys. I'm leaving."

The way Belcher was improving, his trajectory was a damn fine player. I would have rather kept him and spent the first rounder on a different position.

I'd say there's a chance Belcher would do that even if Kuechly wasn't around. They definitely wouldn't be franchising him next year and it takes just one desperate team in FA for him to be gone.

Interesting that Crennel considers his Mike position as hard to fill as NT...that would increase value there to us big time.
That did catch me be surprise a bit also.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
If we draft Kuechly, that gives our starting front 7 a scary amount of draft investment:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=1123

Look at that.

You can noodle that around if we spend that 2012 1st on NT instead.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 08:24 PM

If I'm Belcher I'd play out my one year deal and then say, "**** you guys. I'm leaving."

Teams aren't going to break the bank for a 2 down run stuffing ILB.

Hammock Parties
03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Let's take a look at Patriot Way/Belichick/Parcells bullshit:

2008 Pats - LB Jerod Mayo #10 overall
2006 Cowboys - LB Bobby Carpenter #18 overall
2005 Cowboys - LB DeMarcus Ware
1997 Jets - LB James Farrior #8 overall
1995 Browns - LB Craig Powell #30 overall
1994 Patriots - LB Willie McGinest #1 overall
1984 Giants - LB Carl Banks #3 overall

LBS IN THE FIRST ALL DAY LONG

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Let's take a look at Patriot Way/Belichick/Parcells bullshit:

2008 Pats - LB Jerod Mayo #10 overall
2006 Cowboys - LB Bobby Carpenter #18 overall
2005 Cowboys - LB DeMarcus Ware
1997 Jets - LB James Farrior #8 overall
1995 Browns - LB Craig Powell #30 overall
1994 Patriots - LB Willie McGinest #1 overall
1984 Giants - LB Carl Banks #3 overall

LBS IN THE FIRST ALL DAY LONG

Yup.

I'd say it's Kuechly if the Chiefs stay at #11.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
a thumper that can cover would be nice with Peyton coming into the division

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
a thumper that can cover would be nice with Peyton coming into the division

I'd rather us stay on our own game rather than overreacting to Peyton.

But yes. Anything that adds to our already potent pass defense would be great.

A linebacker who won't get his shit pushed in trying to cover tight ends would make everybody's job easier, starting with Eric Berry.

Kuechly can do a lot of things, but he may be the best coverage 'backer in this draft who isn't 220 lbs. Kuechly is nearly 250 lbs.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Kuechly can play both positions this is good because if DJ were to go down the defense would be fucked. Not only does the middle of the defense improve but now theres depth and special teams would also improve with Belcher. So really you are improving 3 aspects of the team.

Hammock Parties
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd rather us stay on our own game rather than overreacting to Peyton.

Why?

Our best chance to beat Peyton is to acquire pieces to stop him.

We're not going to win a shootout with him so we have to knock him around as much as possible.

This team is gonna need to field a top 5 defense to win the division.

Chiefs=Champions
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I think the drafting of Kuechly allows us to not use an extra safety so much in our sub packages. I think the reason we used one so much was due to Belch sucking balls in coverage. If you have two backers who can cover then you can leave them in on third down. It also will allow us to play the spread teams a lot more comfortably. The Bills ran all over us last year. Having Kuechly instead of McGraw or some other scrub, would make a huge difference.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Great, we might spend our #11 overall pick on either a left guard or a thumper ILB.

Two of the least important positions in the game and one of them is manned my a young ascending player.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Why?

Our best chance to beat Peyton is to acquire pieces to stop him.

We're not going to win a shootout with him so we have to knock him around as much as possible.

This team is gonna need to field a top 5 defense to win the division.

Well, we're not going to win the division in 2012 with Cassel under center, really.

The key is to build the best team you can for the next QB we end up acquiring, in case the guy actually ends up being good.

History dictates that Manning will have 1 good season with his new team, then either get hurt or trail off dramatically the next season.

Chiefs=Champions
03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Great, we might spend our #11 overall pick on either a left guard or a thumper ILB.

Two of the least important positions in the game and one of them is manned my a young ascending player.

If you took any notice of what was said in the interview, it would seem that our scheme dictates otherwise.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, we're not going to win the division in 2012 with Cassel under center, really.

The key is to build the best team you can for the next QB we end up acquiring, in case the guy actually ends up being good.

History dictates that Manning will have 1 good season with his new team, then either get hurt or trail off dramatically the next season.

This is silly. The rest of the team around Cassel is very talented and the team around Manning is shit.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM

I think the Steelers would be the first to argue that having a versatile, talented, reliable linebacker in the thumper role is one of the hardest things to find and one of the best pieces to have for your front seven.

I think the Patriots (Jarrod Mayo) would argue the same thing.

As would the 49ers (Navarro Bowman), even though their 3-4 is different.

Fritz88
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM

He might have as well said Scarlett will suck Fritz88's deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
This is silly. The rest of the team around Cassel is very talented and the team around Manning is shit.

Manning has a good OL, good enough receivers, and a talented enough passrush on his defense.

His run game sucks balls, but once John Fox trades for Jonathan Stewart or DeAngelo Williams, that will change.

The Donks are in the driver's seat this year. Whenever a new team acquires an aging Hall of Famer in his twilight years, he rises to the occasion the first year, then disappears.

Think the Chiefs with Montana, and the Vikes with Favre.

The Chiefs will be competitive this year, but we just gotta do our thing and build the team properly and avoid desperation moves. 2013 will be the beginning of what could be a Kansas City dynasty in the AFCW.

BryanBusby

Hm who knew that a thumper ILB is now low on importance

BossChief
03-25-2012, 08:44 PM
If it comes down to Keuchly or Decastro, replace the 31 year old average guard with the generational guy.

We aren't gonna beat teams passing the ball, might as well put the pieces in place to field an elite running attack.

This draft is deep in ILBs and we could probably get a replacement for Belcher in the second round.

Let's just hope we are able to trade down...then I don't care what they do.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Manning has a good OL, good enough receivers, and a talented enough passrush on his defense.

His run game sucks balls, but once John Fox trades for Jonathan Stewart or DeAngelo Williams, that will change.

The Donks are in the driver's seat this year. Whenever a new team acquires an aging Hall of Famer in his twilight years, he rises to the occasion the first year, then disappears.

Think the Chiefs with Montana, and the Vikes with Favre.

The Chiefs will be competitive this year, but we just gotta do our thing and build the team properly and avoid desperation moves. 2013 will be the beginning of what could be a Kansas City dynasty in the AFCW.

When the Chiefs got Montana they had a HOF RB and a great defense. The Denver defense is shit. We'll be able to beat them with our defense creating turnovers and controlling the ball with our run game.

Even if we aren't building to stop Manning Kuechly still makes sense. Like I said he fills 3 needs: Upgrade of talent, Depth, and special teams.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 08:50 PM
If it comes down to Keuchly or Decastro, replace the 31 year old average guard with the generational guy.

We aren't gonna beat teams passing the ball, might as well put the pieces in place to field an elite running attack.

This draft is deep in ILBs and we could probably get a replacement for Belcher in the second round.

I think the ILB field is pretty weak this year.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
It's like weve gone back to 2009 and people have a boner for Aaron Curry again.

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
It's like weve gone back to 2009 and people have a boner for Aaron Curry again.

Only difference is the roster is pretty much complete.

the Talking Can
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM

every draft is deep with guards and you could replace lilja in the 3rd...just like asamoah

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Only difference is the roster is pretty much complete.

and Kuechly is arguably a better prospect, plus there's a huge difference between looking at a ILB at 3 and 11

BossChief
03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
If we stay at #11, I'd much rather take Barron than Kuechly.

Again though, let's just pray they trade down if they are looking at guys like Decastro or Kuechly...or even Barron.

I know they love Lewis, though so Barron is probably a pipe dream too.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 09:13 PM
If we stay at #11, I'd much rather take Barron than Kuechly.

wut

milkman
03-25-2012, 09:16 PM
When this guy said that Cassel has the physical talent, it pretty much killed any credibility he might have had.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 09:19 PM
every draft is deep with guards and you could replace lilja in the 3rd...just like asamoah

Either guy at 11 would make me a little sick.

The only linebackers that make sense that high are pass rushers and I'd be totally fine with another of those.

No question.

There are no guards that are worth that high a pick. None.

I'm just saying the lesser of the two evils is probably Decastro.

If I'm making the pick tomorrow and I'm stuck at 11...I'm probably taking Barron.

Barron and Berry as our safeties in today's NFL...fo get bout it

Titty Meat
03-25-2012, 09:19 PM
and Kuechly is arguably a better prospect, plus there's a huge difference between looking at a ILB at 3 and 11

Nailed it.

milkman
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Maybe my memory is hazy, but I remember reading how Curry was the second coming.

Kuehly isn't getting near the hype that Curry received.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Maybe my memory is hazy, but I remember reading how Curry was the second coming.

Kuehly isn't getting near the hype that Curry received.

There was a huge deal about Curry, but I don't know if it was so much about his potential or that the '09 draft at the top was awful. I recall watching game film on Curry and it really wasn't anything special.

ChiefMojo
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
What spot was Jerrod Mayo taken by the Patriots? Wasn't it around the spot we are at now? If a ILB is very talented and can help a defense immediately, then I think the spot (#11) we are at now is more than fine to take one.

Belcher is a good thumper but he lacks in pass coverage. Kuechly gives us a ILB that can stay on the field at all times due to his all-around abilities. There is still room for Belcher/Seiler in sub packages and special teams. There is always the "unspoken" that could happen... we know how that felt with Berry, Moeaki and Charles this past season.

Both Hightower and Ingram would be very good ILB's also, but I must admit I like Kuechly the best.

I'm not as high on Barron as our 1st round pick only because I don't find him as a dire need and he plays the same position as Berry (SS). I'd much rather draft someone later in the draft like a Spence/David that are lighter OLB's that could play a S/LB hybrid role in sub packages.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
They must have thought we need more white players.

Boss
Hillis
Winston
Kuechly/Decastro

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
What spot was Jerrod Mayo taken by the Patriots? Wasn't it around the spot we are at now? If a ILB is very talented and can help a defense immediately, then I think the spot (#11) we are at now is more than fine to take one.

Belcher is a good thumper but he lacks in pass coverage. Kuechly gives us a ILB that can stay on the field at all times due to his all-around abilities. There is still room for Belcher/Seiler in sub packages and special teams. There is always the "unspoken" that could happen... we know how that felt with Berry, Moeaki and Charles this past season.

Both Hightower and Ingram would be very good ILB's also, but I must admit I like Kuechly the best.

I'm not as high on Barron as our 1st round pick only because I don't find him as a dire need and he plays the same position as Berry (SS). I'd much rather draft someone later in the draft like a Spence/David that are lighter OLB's that could play a S/LB hybrid role in sub packages.

Mayo was taken at the #10 spot by the Patriots, after they moved down once.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
There is really no comparison between Curry and Kuechly. None.

Aaron Curry -Wake Forest- As a freshman in 2005 he started 10 of 11 games and was the teams fifth leading tackler with 39. After his season he was named second team Freshman All-American and ACC All-Freshman Team by the Sporting News.

As a sophomore in 2006 he started all 14 games at outside linebacker, finishing second on the team in tackles with 83.

Curry's breakout season came as a junior in 2007. During the season he tied the NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three. He also broke the school record with 226 interception return yards. He finished the season second on the team and 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99, and earned Second team All-ACC honors and second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com.

In his senior season he had 105 tackles, including 16 for a loss, and was the winner of the Butkus Award. Curry was also selected an All-American by ESPN, Pro Football Weekly, and Sports Illustrated.

Luke Kuechly -Boston College- As a true freshman in 2009, Kuechly became the Eagles starting outside linebacker after Mark Herzlich announced that he would miss the season after being diagnosed with the rare form of cancer, Ewing's sarcoma. He finished the season with 158 tackles (87 solo), which led the team and conference, as well as being second nationally (first among freshmen). He was the first true freshman in team history to lead the team in tackles and almost broke the freshman tackle record set by Stephen Boyd in 1991. He also had a sack and returned an interception for a touchdown. For his play he was named the 2009 ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year, was on the 2009 CFN All-Freshman Defensive Team. In the Emerald Bowl, Kuechly was named the defensive MVP, registering 16 tackles in a losing effort.

He moved to middle linebacker at the beginning of his sophomore season. He went on to lead the country with 183 tackles (110 solo) and has an ongoing streak of 21 straight games with at least 10 tackles. Kuechly was named a finalist for the Butkus Award and the Nagurski Award. He broke BC's single season record for tackles, topping the previous record of 165, held since 1991 by Tom McManus. After the season, Kuechly was named a unanimous consensus All-America selection. Boston College played in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (the same bowl as the Emerald Bowl from the previous season with a change of corporate sponsorship) at the end of the season and Kuechly was named the defensive MVP for a second time.

His junior year, Kuechly led the nation with an astounding 191 tackles (102 solo) during the season, averaging nearly 16 tackles per game...and had a 33-game double-digit tackle streak, the longest streak of its kind in FBS college football between 2009 and 2011.

Kuechly compiled his stats in the 12-game regular season, as the team finished with a 4-8 record and was ineligible for post-season play. He still almost broke the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) single-season tackle record (193, set by Lawrence Flugence in a 14-game season) and did break the single season tackles-per-game record with 15.9 (previously held by Rick Sherrod with a 15.6 average over a 10-game season).

Kuechly broke the BC and ACC career tackle records with 532 tackles, eclipsing the previous record of 524 held by Stephen Boyd and only 13 tackles short of the NCAA FBS record held by Tim McGarigle. He also broke the BC and ACC single-season tackle records, records that he had set the year before. On December 4, Dick Butkus personally presented the 2011 Butkus Award to Kuechly at the Boston College team banquet a week before the expected formal announcement of the recipient. Kuechly went on to win the Lombardi Award, the Lott IMPACT Trophy, and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy for 2011.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 12:23 AM
3 passes defended
0 forced fumbles
0 sacks

Those don't exactly scream "11th overall quality linebacker"

Seriously....all those tackles and didnt cause a single fumble?

red flag

cdcox
03-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Not even Ray Lewis is a three down guy.

Field doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 12:36 AM
3 passes defended
0 forced fumbles
0 sacks

Those don't exactly scream "11th overall quality linebacker"

Seriously....all those tackles and didnt cause a single fumble?

red flag

Wut? Not sure where you got this. In the FSU game where he had 20 tackles he also had a FF he should have been credited with.

2011 Season

Three-time ACC Linebacker of Week (9/6/11, 9/19/11, 11/13/11) … made nine stops (6 solo), including one tackle for loss, in addition to breaking up one pass and returning one interception 45 yards for a touchdown at Miami … notched a game-high 14 stops (7 solo), including one tackle for loss, and broke up one pass at Notre Dame … posted a team-high 18 tackles (9 solo), including 1.5 tackles for loss, against NC State … served up a game-best 20 tackles (8 solo) versus Florida State … led all players with 12 tackles (7 solo), recording a tackle for a loss of six, returning an interception three yards and breaking up one pass at Maryland … made a team-high 19 tackles (3 solo) and hurried the quarterback twice against Virginia Tech.

Tallied a team best 16 tackles at Clemson (11 solo), including 2.0 for a loss … tallied a team best 14 tackles (8 solo), including 2.0 tackles for loss … recorded 11 tackles against UMass, becoming the fifth Eagle and 32nd player from the ACC to register 400 career tackles … tallied a career-high 23 tackles (17 solo) against Duke … posted a team-high 17 tackles (12 solo) at Central Florida, including 0.5 tackles for loss (1 yard) … led BC with 18 tackles (9 solo) against Northwestern, including 1.5 tackles for loss (2 yards), and returned one interception for 23 yards.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I guess I'm missing the part in all of that where it shows where he forced a single fumble last year out of like 200 tackles.

Or sacked a quarterback.

I mean... Derrick Johnson had 7 forced fumbles, 2 sacks and a pick his last year at Texas and fell to 15.

In Aaron Currys junior year he had 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions (returned 3 for TDs)

I just am having a hard time seeing the impact this guy would provide at 11th overall...over a young ascending player in Belcher.

We arent talking about a second or third round pick here...

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
I guess I'm missing the part in all of that where it shows where he forced a single fumble last year out of like 200 tackles.

Or sacked a quarterback.

I mean... Derrick Johnson had 7 forced fumbles, 2 sacks and a pick his last year at Texas and fell to 15.

In Aaron Currys junior year he had 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions (returned 3 for TDs)

I just am having a hard time seeing the impact this guy would provide at 11th overall...over a young ascending player in Belcher.

We arent talking about a second or third round pick here...

Watch as much Boston College tape as possible.

They never, ever asked him to blitz. He dropped virtually every pass play.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Wow his lowest tackles in a game was 9.

J Diddy
03-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on at 1 arrowhead drive.

NewChief
03-26-2012, 05:15 AM
They must have thought we need more white players.

Boss
Hillis
Winston
Kuechly/Decastro

All part of Pioli's master plan for the White 53.