PDA

View Full Version : KSU KSU Frank Martin to Gamecocks

Pages : [1] 2

pr_capone
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-hired-south-carolina-gamecocks-reports-say

South Carolina and Kansas State coach Frank Martin have agreed to a contract less than two weeks after the Gamecocks fired coach Darrin Horn, multiple media outlets reported Monday.

Martin, 45, is under contract with Kansas State through 2015 after signing an extension two years ago.

It was unclear what the parameters of any deal with South Carolina were.

Martin
Martin

According to The State of Columbia, S.C., South Carolina trustees have called a meeting to discuss "a contractual matter." The Kansas City Star also has reported Martin's hire, citing an unnamed source close to the coach.

Martin is a native of Miami and coached high school basketball there for 15 years. He joined Northeastern University as an assistant coach in 2000 before working in the same capacity for Cincinnati and Kansas State. He was named coach of the Wildcats in 2007 and has led Kansas State to three straight NCAA tournament appearances.

pr_capone
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Gah... didn't see the emaw thread.

/facepalm
//.GIF THREAD!!!

Thig Lyfe
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
HA HA

Thaddeus_Eugenia
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Sad to see this purple man leave a team. I have heard thine LORD will work his ways to restore the purple man's career. Happy to see his glory blown.

track
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Nothing final....Frank might be trying to gain leverage over Curry the KSU AD. All reports are there is a rift between the two. I suspect most KSU fans would rather see Curry go than Martin. ...wait and see on this one.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
SEC is the place to be. ;)

Predarat
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
If he leaves he truly is a cocksuker.

Dayze
03-26-2012, 01:22 PM
KK is on suicide watch

the Talking Can
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
south carolina is a terrible job

Old Dog
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
KK is on suicide watch

I'll not try to speak on behalf of all of the EMAW crowd, but a KK "suicide" wouldn't hurt my feelings. Dude is a blithering idiot.

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM

He owns Mizzou, might as well follow them

Dayze
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I'll not try to speak on behalf of all of the EMAW crowd, but a KK "suicide" wouldn't hurt my feelings. Dude is a blithering idiot.

good point.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
No shit?

This is a bad deal for the Big 12. He's not an elite coach and I really thought he was a poor game time coach but the fucker could recruit and put together tough basketball teams. I think the probability of getting a coach that will get better results than Martin is low.

This is bad for the Big 12.

KevB
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Demonstrates how bad it's gotten, regardless who's story you believe (coach or AD).

notorious
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Bye.

He couldn't coach his kids to run basic offense. Time to upgrade.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM

They've only got an $85,000,000 athletic budget.

the Talking Can
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
They've only got an $85,000,000 athletic budget.

so that explains their rich basketball tradition

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM

LMAO

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 02:09 PM
No shit?

This is a bad deal for the Big 12. He's not an elite coach and I really thought he was a poor game time coach but the fucker could recruit and put together tough basketball teams. I think the probability of getting a coach that will get better results than Martin is low.

It is bad for the Big 12. Martin was able to turn a moribund basketball program into a good one. (well not "turn into" but run at a high level)

It's not that there was any question which job would be better, it's just another in a lengthening line of losses to bigger conferences. It makes the big 12 appear to be sinking in profile further.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM

They never really tried in the past. Looks like that's changing. They have one of the better arenas in the country, and they plucked a hot coach.

Its not like Florida was some basketball powerhouse before Donovan. One recruiting class, even one player, can really turn a basketball program around. I'm guessing he lands a nice class next year and has them inthe tourney by year 3.

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
They never really tried in the past. Looks like that's changing. They have one of the better arenas in the country, and they plucked a hot coach.

Its not like Florida was some basketball powerhouse before Donovan. One recruiting class, even one player, can really turn a basketball program around. I'm guessing he lands a nice class next year and has them inthe tourney by year 3.

Winning in basketball really isn't that hard, i've discovered. All you have to do is try, which most universities really don't.

Codered
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Frank Martin displayed at KSU that he was a very good coach. He always gave Missouri a hard time and I don't have any doubts that he will come into SC and turn that program around.

KSU really needs to follow this up with a big hired to avoid falling back to the middle of the pack. I am curious to find out what names are going to pop up that they have interest in.

Greg Marshall would have been a solid option to look at, but if i'm not mistaken he announced recently he was staying at Wichita State.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Frank Martin is the biggest baby in college sports.

Ceej
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Frank Martin is the biggest baby in college sports.

Weird, I thought it was the Nebraska basketball fans.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!1111

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Winning in basketball really isn't that hard, i've discovered. All you have to do is try, which most universities really don't.

This is true. Pay a coach a couple million and give an assistant with ties to a good AAU program a million and you're set.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Weird, I thought it was the Missouri basketball fans.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!1111

Hiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo

the Talking Can

it's a shitty job...yeah, a good recruiting class can turn any program around...duh

South Carolina and Georgia have more homegrown football and basketball talent than any state not named Tex-orida...convincing that talent to play basketball at South Carolina has been pretty much impossible for pick a reason

and Martin isn't a great recruiter...he's a good coach for a certain type of player

Ceej
Hiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo

You know what I think about your edit?!?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!11!!!!!!

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Its a lot easier to win in basketball compared to football. From a simply mathematical standpoint, it only takes a couple of players.

Look at Calipari. He won big at UMass, Memphis, and now Kentucky. It really just takes the right coach.

North Carolina was in the shitter when Roy got there. Two years later, they won a title. Couple years later? Another title.

Kentucky wasn't as far down as UNC was, but they were way down by their standards.

On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor that UCLA plans to offer Self a fuckton of cash to become their next coach, and Kansas is preparing to give him another $1,000,000+ to keep him. Don't know if it's true, but could be interesting to watch.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
it's a shitty job...yeah, a good recruiting class can turn any program around...duh

South Carolina and Georgia have more homegrown football and basketball talent than any state not named Tex-orida...convincing that talent to play basketball at South Carolina has been pretty much impossible for pick a reason

and Martin isn't a great recruiter...he's a good coach for a certain type of player

Frank is going to make a ton of dough to coach at a school with an athletic budget of $85,000,000, some of the better facilities in the country in a state that produces a ton of talent for a fanbase that won't be all over his ass if the team doesn't win for a while.

That must suck.

Thig Lyfe
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor that UCLA plans to offer Self a fuckton of cash to become their next coach, and Kansas is preparing to give him another $1,000,000+ to keep him. Don't know if it's true, but could be interesting to watch.

We could always just promote Danny Manning if that happened.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor that UCLA plans to offer Self a ****ton of cash to become their next coach, and Kansas is preparing to give him another $1,000,000+ to keep him. Don't know if it's true, but could be interesting to watch.

LMAO

Good one.

HemiEd
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
It is bad for the Big 12. Martin was able to turn a moribund basketball program into a good one. (well not "turn into" but run at a high level)

It's not that there was any question which job would be better, it's just another in a lengthening line of losses to bigger conferences. It makes the big 12 appear to be sinking in profile further.

Oh please, just stop it with this BS.

He is one BB coach that had some reasonable success by scowling and being pissed off all the time. He had a very strong player, Jacob Pullen and he is gone.

KSU will be just fine, and so will the Big 12.

There is one fucking SEC team in the final 4, One Big 12, One B1G and One Big East team (that wanted in the Big 12)

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
We could al

ways just promote Danny Manning if that happened.

I can't imagine him leaving. I meant it would be interesting to see if Self gets a fat raise just to see if the rumor was true.

It makes sense from both sides, so it wouldn't surprise me.

notorious
03-26-2012, 02:37 PM

He is one BB coach that had some reasonable success by scowling and being pissed off all the time. He had a very strong player, Jacob Pullen and he is gone.

There is one ****ing SEC team in the final 4, One Big 12, One B1G and One Big East team (that wanted in the Big 12)

This

HemiEd
03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Its a lot easier to win in basketball compared to football. From a simply mathematical standpoint, it only takes a couple of players.

Look at Calipari. He won big at UMass, Memphis, and now Kentucky. It really just takes the right coach.

North Carolina was in the shitter when Roy got there. Two years later, they won a title. Couple years later? Another title.

Kentucky wasn't as far down as UNC was, but they were way down by their standards.

On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor that UCLA plans to offer Self a ****ton of cash to become their next coach, and Kansas is preparing to give him another $1,000,000+ to keep him. Don't know if it's true, but could be interesting to watch.

You should just stick to Mizzou football, you aren't very good at this.

Self is going nowhere, he loves KU, and the job. When the Boone Pickens couldn't lure him to Oklahoma State, it was obvious to most people he wasn't going anywhere.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Self is going nowhere, he loves KU, and the job. When the Boone Pickens couldn't lure him to Oklahoma State, it was obvious to most people he wasn't going anywhere.

I always figured his next job would be in the NBA once he got tired of winning the Big 12.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
[/B]

THIS.

What does UCLA have to offer Self when, his Alma Mater + Picken$ = no hire?

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
THIS.

LA > Kansas

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I was really looking forward to watching Huggins vs Martin.

There have been a lot of really good coaches leave the conference in the not too distant past.

Bobby Knight
Bob Huggins
Billy Gillespie
Eddie Sutton
Roy Williams
Tim Floyd
Frank Martin

That's a pretty impressive list, and I feel like I'm missing someone. I guess a couple either have come back or will be back shortly, though.

Suppose you could add Anderson if you think he was o really good coach.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
LA > Kansas

Who says someone raised in the midwest necessarily wants to leave?

I know many people who put LA as one of the last places they would want to live.

HemiEd
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I always figured his next job would be in the NBA once he got tired of winning the Big 12.

I would be shocked if he didn't retire as the KU Head BB Coach, shocked I tell ya.
I had the good fortune of meeting him, and listening to him at his roast in Wichita a while back, and the guy is very sincere.
He absolutely loves being the HC at KU, it was and is his dream job.

It was the OSU job that scared me, and a lot of others I am sure, and he didn't hardly waver.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I was really looking forward to watching Huggins vs Martin.

There have been a lot of really good coaches leave the conference in the not too distant past.

Bobby Knight
Bob Huggins
Billy Gillespie
Eddie Sutton
Roy Williams
Tim Floyd
Frank Martin

That's a pretty impressive list, and I feel like I'm missing someone. I guess a couple either have come back or will be back shortly, though.

Suppose you could add Anderson if you think he was o really good coach.

Calvin Sampson
Larry Eustachy

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Who says someone raised in the midwest necessarily wants to leave?

I know many people who put LA as one of the last places they would want to live.

I'm not saying he would leave and you're right everyone is different but have you ever been to California? It's beautiful. West Lawrence can't really compete with Brentwood.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
THIS.

I don't think he'd take the job, but comparing LA to Lawrence or Stillwater is just silly.

There are multiple reasons not to take the OSU job that wouldn't apply to UCLA. I don't think Self will leave any time soon. If he does, I don't think it will be for another college job.

Mr_Tomahawk
I'm not saying he would leave and you're right everyone is different but have you ever been to California? It's beautiful. West Lawrence can't really compete with Brentwood.

I was born in California.

KevB
I would be shocked if he didn't retire as the KU Head BB Coach, shocked I tell ya.
I had the good fortune of meeting him, and listening to him at his roast in Wichita a while back, and the guy is very sincere.
He absolutely loves being the HC at KU, it was and is his dream job.

It was the OSU job that scared me, and a lot of others I am sure, and he didn't hardly waver.

Only thing left could be huge $ in the NBA. I don't see it, but it's possible.

DeezNutz
SEC basketball just got a lot better. Welcome, coach.

And Bill Self isn't leaving KU for another college coaching job.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I was born in California.

Why would you leave for this shithole!?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Calvin Sampson
Larry Eustachy

I don't know that they rate up there with the others, but they were good coaches. I still feel like I'm missing someone, but I don't think I am.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Why would you leave for this shithole!?

Wasn't my choice.

Military family.

That said...Kansas is the best [living] out of the others (California, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas, Virginia).

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Mick Cronin would be an interesting choice on multiple levels.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Wasn't my choice.

Military family.

That said...Kansas is the best [living] out of the others (California, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas, Virginia).

I'm guessing you lived in San Diego? That would be awesome. Also Texas is a great state I'd choose either of those over this place.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm guessing you lived in San Diego? That would be awesome. Also Texas is a great state I'd choose either of those over this place.

SD? No fucking thanks unless you're going to be making a substantial income. TX? Fine. But there's little difference between living there or in the KC area, assuming that's where you are.

As for just general quality-of-life living, KC is a fantastic place to be. Lots of cities in the midwest fit this description. Columbia, MO, for example, is sensational.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Yup San Diego. Nice but $$$$.

Texas was okay...but that was after Minnesota. If you absolutely hate snow and love dry heat, it's the place for you. But I...my family...missed the snow a bit after leaving Mn. Had the option to transfer here and pops took it. Mom and I remained here and he was transferred to different bases. After living in Ks, we didn't want to leave...so we would take turns flying out to Virginia ($$) and back when he was out there...

mnchiefsguy
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't see Self ever leaving Kansas either. However, if I am the AD at UCLA, I make the call and try to get him....offer him whatever it took. You never know what Self will say until you make him an offer. If I am the AD at Kansas, I make sure Self is happy...does Self need another million a year? Make it happen. Does he need more control? Make it happen. KU knows what they have in Self, I don't see them letting him go without a fight, they learned a lot when Roy left.

mnchiefsguy
03-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Yup San Diego. Nice but $$$$.

Texas was okay...but that was after Minnesota. If you absolutely hate snow and love dry heat, it's the place for you. But I...my family...missed the snow a bit after leaving Mn. Had the option to transfer here and pops took it. Mom and I remained here and he was transferred to different bases. After living in Ks, we didn't want to leave...so we would take turns flying out to Virginia ($$) and back when he was out there...

What part of Minnesota did you live in?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
SD? No ****ing thanks unless you're going to be making a substantial income. TX? Fine. But there's little difference between living there or in the KC area, assuming that's where you are.

As for just general quality-of-life living, KC is a fantastic place to be. Lots of cities in the midwest fit this description. Columbia, MO, for example, is sensational.

Yeah KS/MO really provide a good balance in the quality of life you live in terms of the cost of living, raising a family, and general climate.

Iowa was probably even cheaper and better in those terms...but, yeah...what is there to do?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
What part of Minnesota did you live in?

St. Cloud as a child.

Then Minneapolis (St. Louis Park) during grad school at the U.

Have family in Minnetonka and Bemidji.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah KS/MO really provide a good balance in the quality of life you live in terms of the cost of living, raising a family, and general climate.

Iowa was probably even cheaper and better in those terms...but, yeah...what is there to do?

This is true of any place without a beach and whose name isn't NYC.

Plenty of great restaurants, parks, shops, and artistic scenes.

Edit: If you were referring to Iowa specifically, yeah, that might be tougher. Des Moines is pretty cool, though.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
This is true of any place without a beach and whose name isn't NYC.

Plenty of great restaurants, parks, shops, and artistic scenes.

Edit: If you were referring to Iowa specifically, yeah, that might be tougher. Des Moines is pretty cool, though.

Yeah I was in Urbandale for a while.

It was nice...but that was coming from Minnesota. I just missed the fishing, lakes, and trails etc.

mnchiefsguy
03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
St. Cloud as a child.

Then Minneapolis (St. Louis Park) during grad school at the U.

Have family in Minnetonka and Bemidji.

Cool. We lived in Plymouth, and my mother-in-law has lived in St. Louis Park off of Minnetonka Blvd since the late 70's. Most of the rest of my wife's family are on the St. Paul side of town, and her grandparents lived just north of Brainerd in Crosslake for a number of years before they both passed away last year. Beautiful country up north with the trees and the lakes.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Calvin Sampson?

Is Kwin Snyder not available?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Cool. We lived in Plymouth, and my mother-in-law has lived in St. Louis Park off of Minnetonka Blvd since the late 70's. Most of the rest of my wife's family are on the St. Paul side of town, and her grandparents lived just north of Brainerd in Crosslake for a number of years before they both passed away last year. Beautiful country up north with the trees and the lakes.

Yeah I could have stayed up there after school but my wife couldn't deal with the winters.

I had no problems with them as I endured them as a child for a few years. They have the absolute best summers. Wife and I rented an older home with no AC and were kind questionable about it at first when we moved up there. But all in all, there were maybe like 2-3 days during the summer you wish you had AC. The rest of the summer you could just open windows and the temp would be perfect.

saphojunkie
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
What a turd.

Who the hell is going to come to K-State now?

I mean, I know everyone is DYING to coach Henriquez, but still...

Welcome to the Octagon of Derp.

Dave Lane
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Sad to see this purple man leave a team. I have heard thine LORD will work his ways to restore the purple man's career. Happy to see his glory blown.

Wut?

HemiEd
03-26-2012, 03:30 PM
What a turd.

Nobody, haven't you heard? All the other schools from other conferences are just going to give up and watch the SEC.

Al Bundy
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I can't imagine how Kansas State alumn must feel, I am merely a fan and I am irritated that this could be happening.

ChiTown
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM
What a turd.

This doesn't even......wut?

kstater
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I love Saul_Good hiding like the pussy that he is the last two weeks after Mizzou had one of the worst losses in NCAA history only to show up waving his SEC flag today.

kstater
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I can't imagine how Kansas State alumn must feel, I am merely a fan and I am irritated that this could be happening.

Eh, part of sports. If it happens, it's not as if John Wooden is walking out the door. Frank's a pretty good coach, but he's not the end all be all.

kstater
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Saulbadguy, today probably isn't the best day for goemaw to break.

Al Bundy
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Eh, part of sports. If it happens, it's not as if John Wooden is walking out the door. Frank's a pretty good coach, but he's not the end all be all.

Yeah, but I know for the entire time I have lived here before Huggy bear and Frank showed up that Kansas State was beyond awful in basketball. I would hate to see them go back to that.

Bambi
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Every conference needs their Washington Generals.

Bambi
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't see Self ever leaving Kansas either. However, if I am the AD at UCLA, I make the call and try to get him....offer him whatever it took. You never know what Self will say until you make him an offer. If I am the AD at Kansas, I make sure Self is happy...does Self need another million a year? Make it happen. Does he need more control? Make it happen. KU knows what they have in Self, I don't see them letting him go without a fight, they learned a lot when Roy left.

The media deal for the Big 12 is now greater than the PAC-12. There's absolutely no reason for Self to ever leave Kansas.

Only 2 programs are considered "better" than KU and Self just made one of those his bitch yesterday. KU overtakes UK in this years final and there's nowhere else to go. Self could write his own check. It wouldn't even be about money at that point.

Trevo_410
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Every conference needs their Washington Generals.

Oh yeh that's right, ku basketball fan...

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
SD? No ****ing thanks unless you're going to be making a substantial income. TX? Fine. But there's little difference between living there or in the KC area, assuming that's where you are.

I had family that lived in Corpus Christi the people in Texas remind me of home. Basically it was like the midwest with better Mexican food, an ocean, and great weather.

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Saulbadguy, today probably isn't the best day for goemaw to break.

CNTRLF5/shiftF5/cntrlR or whatever.

kstater
03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
CNTRLF5/shiftF5/cntrlR or whatever.

Tried, still not fixed. Viewing in IE though.

Restarting Chrome after though did.

saphojunkie
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
The media deal for the Big 12 is now greater than the PAC-12. There's absolutely no reason for Self to ever leave Kansas.

Only 0 programs are considered "better" than KU and Self just made one of those his bitch yesterday. KU overtakes UK in this years final and there's nowhere else to go. Self could write his own check. It wouldn't even be about money at that point.

FYP

:D:KU:

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I had family that lived in Corpus Christi the people in Texas remind me of home. Basically it was like the midwest with better Mexican food, an ocean, and great weather.

Down by the gulf is pretty damn good living, hurricane season notwithstanding.

saphojunkie
03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I seriously feel bad for KSU fans. MU fans can suck it. They're about to be incapable of competition in BOTH basketball and football.

KU is why I can endure the Chiefs.

If I were an MU, royals, and Chiefs fan...I think I'd have to start experimenting with overmedication.

Trevo_410
03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I seriously feel bad for KSU fans. MU fans can suck it. They're about to be incapable of competition in BOTH basketball and football.

If I were an MU, royals, and Chiefs fan...I think I'd have to start experimenting with overmedication.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k528/Trecd/user4521_316.gif

Al Bundy
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I think I'd have to start experimenting with overmedication.

Start anyway...

ROYC75
03-26-2012, 05:02 PM
What a turd.

Larry Eustachy would be a good hire !:D

baitism
03-26-2012, 05:26 PM

Yeah, it is going to suck watching Mizzou grow as a sports program over the next 10+ years. I know you don't follow Mizzou, but it is already greatly helping Mizzou's recruiting in football and basketball.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I love Saul_Good hiding like the pussy that he is the last two weeks after Mizzou had one of the worst losses in NCAA history only to show up waving his SEC flag today.

I'm not waving shit. I think it was shitty of Martin. The guy ripped Mizzou for leaving on multiple occasions and did the exact same thing. The fact that he went to an SEC school makes it even worse.

notorious
03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not waving shit. I think it was shitty of Martin. The guy ripped Mizzou for leaving on multiple occasions and did the exact same thing. The fact that he went to an SEC school makes it even worse.

I agree.

Chiefspants
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM

What KSU's AD did to him was inexcusable, this move does not surprise me in the slightest.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM

"Sounds like all the whiners are gone." /KK

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
What KSU's AD did to him was inexcusable, this move does not surprise me in the slightest.

This move doesn't surprise me at all, either. In fact, I told my friends yesterday that I thought Martin was gone. One of their responses was that South Carolina fans were convinced that he was going to be their next head coach but he would never take that job. I hadn't heard that rumor until right then, but I guess they must have known something.

That said, making the move is fine. The problem is that he sort of painted himself into a corner with the whole conference realignment thing. He talked about how the Big XII was so great and how Mizzou was so terrible for leaving.

Lo and behold, a player gets suspended for a game because he took money, and Martin's gone...to the SEC. Don't rip someone for acting in their own best interests and pretend that you wouldn't do the same thing.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
"Sounds like all the whiners are gone." /KK

EXACTLY the interview that stands out in my mind.

RJ
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Coppin State owns the gamecocks.

kstater
03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
LMAO

https://twitter.com/#!/Frank_MartinSC

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
LMAO

https://twitter.com/#!/Frank_MartinSC

Did you notice how whoever created that account uses terms like "#lovecock" and "teamcock"? It's brilliant because "cock", while being part of the name of South Carolina's mascot, is also a slang term for "penis". By putting the word "love" in front of "cock", it makes it sound like Frank Martin, a straight man, actually loves penis.

That's pretty good because he doesn't come right out and say that Frank actually loves penis. He just leaves that to the readers' imaginations. I'll bet comedians wish they'd thought of that first. Ingenious, really. Some people are just too clever.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
This move doesn't surprise me at all, either. In fact, I told my friends yesterday that I thought Martin was gone. One of their responses was that South Carolina fans were convinced that he was going to be their next head coach but he would never take that job. I hadn't heard that rumor until right then, but I guess they must have known something.

That said, making the move is fine. The problem is that he sort of painted himself into a corner with the whole conference realignment thing. He talked about how the Big XII was so great and how Mizzou was so terrible for leaving.

Lo and behold, a player gets suspended for a game because he took money, and Martin's gone...to the SEC. Don't rip someone for acting in their own best interests and pretend that you wouldn't do the same thing.

Going to the SEC is not in Mizzou's best interest.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Going to the SEC is not in Mizzou's best interest.

So all the backlash from Big XII fans is just them looking out for Mizzou's well-being. Gee, guys. That's swell of ya.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Did you notice how whoever created that account uses terms like "#lovecock" and "teamcock"? It's brilliant because "cock", while being part of the name of South Carolina's mascot, is also a slang term for "penis". By putting the word "love" in front of "cock", it makes it sound like Frank Martin, a straight man, actually loves penis.

That's pretty good because he doesn't come right out and say that Frank actually loves penis. He just leaves that to the readers' imaginations. I'll bet comedians wish they'd thought of that first. Ingenious, really. Some people are just too clever.

Thank you for the dissertation on the word cock and its many uses as well as providing us with this fine example of alternate usage. I had no idea the word was so versatile.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
So all the backlash from Big XII fans is just them looking out for Mizzou's well-being. Gee, guys. That's swell of ya.

More like mocking your ignorance.

Reerun_KC
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Dammit Frank.... Jayhawk Nation will miss you...

Thanks for a solid run at Kstate.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
More like mocking your ignorance.

Seriously?

There are no clear-sighted, educated Missouri fans/supporters in the entire country; that's why the decision to leave was SO damn difficult.

Meanwhile, Martin made a lateral move for more money and a better working relationship (or so he believes) with the administration. Good for him. Bad for KSU.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Seriously?

There are no clear-sighted, educated Missouri fans/supporters in the entire country; that's why the decision to leave was SO damn difficult.

Meanwhile, Martin made a lateral move for more money and a better working relationship (or so he believes) with the administration. Good for him. Bad for KSU.

"SO damn difficult"? Mizzou STARTED the whole mess two years ago by pimping themselves to the Big 10. Let us not rewrite history here. You all think of yourselves as a bigger school and athletics program than you really are. You're jealous of the Texas' and OUs.

LSU, Florida and 'bama are about to show you where you really stand. Have fun with that.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
"SO damn difficult"? Mizzou STARTED the whole mess two years ago by pimping themselves to the Big 10. Let us not rewrite history here. You all think of yourselves as a bigger school and athletics program than you really are. You're jealous of the Texas' and OUs.

LSU, Florida and 'bama are about to show you where you really stand. Have fun with that.

Thank God we can leave without having to pay any exit fees, then. What a break.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Not at all. The situation was untenable. There was a better offer on the table, so we took it.

Just like Frank. Can't be mad at either party, though Martin comes off looking like a hypocrite after toting water for the Big XII since arriving in Manhattan.

I don't think that KSU will be able to hire his equal, and thus the AD should already be circulating his resume.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Dammit Frank.... Jayhawk Nation will miss you...

Thanks for a solid run at Kstate.

I don't get it are you a KU fan or a K-State fan?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Not at all. The situation was untenable. There was a better offer on the table, so we took it.

Just like Frank. Can't be mad at either party, though Martin comes off looking like a hypocrite after toting water for the Big XII since arriving in Manhattan.

I don't think that KSU will be able to hire his equal, and thus the AD should already be circulating his resume.

If KSU fires their AD for this, they are out of their minds. Their athletic department was a mess, and this guy did an excellent job of cleaning it up. He hasn't made a hire yet. You can't fire a guy who hasn't even made his first hire unless he does something completely egregious. Firing an AD because he suspended a player for a game after finding out that the kid had a former coach wire him money seems like a bad idea to me.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:40 PM

The only thing untenable was playing second fiddle to the bigger, more affluent and more successful schools. And the offer was not simply PUT on the table, you begged and begged for it.

If K-State had their shit together the AD would have been looking for a new job long before it came to this. The university really dropped the ball here.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
If KSU fires their AD for this, they are out of their minds. Their athletic department was a mess, and this guy did an excellent job of cleaning it up. He hasn't made a hire yet. You can't fire a guy who hasn't even made his first hire unless he does something completely egregious. Firing an AD because he suspended a player for a game after finding out that the kid had a former coach wire him money seems like a bad idea to me.

I anticipate KSU basketball to regress, and I think that Martin was about the program's ceiling as a potential hire; you don't tamper with success.

So, no, I don't think Currie is in eminent danger, but I believe when he is fired in a couple of years, we'll look back at the Martin departure as the domino that started the AD's fall.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Why is it Curries fault Martin is unstable emotionally?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
The only thing untenable was playing second fiddle to the bigger, more affluent and more successful schools. And the offer was not simply PUT on the table, you begged and begged for it.

What part of the begging do you think impressed the SEC enough to make us equal partners year 1?

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Who are the most important people in the athletic department at KSU? Snyder and Martin, in that order. The AD's primary job is to make sure that those two are happy.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM

You really think Missouri duped and guilted and beguiled the SEC into expanding the conference?

You can't make this stuff up

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:45 PM
What part of the begging do you think impressed the SEC enough to make us equal partners year 1?

I signed the second petition that was mailed to SEC HQ, so that might have put the university over the top.

qabbaan

Everyone in the Big 12 is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Saul Good
Who are the most important people in the athletic department at KSU? Snyder and Martin, in that order. The AD's primary job is to make sure that those two are happy.

So what happens if Curry decides to just keep quiet about his player being wired money, and the NCAA finds out and lowers the boom on the entire program?

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 07:46 PM
So what happens if Curry decides to just keep quiet about his player being wired money, and the NCAA finds out and lowers the boom on the entire program?

Is it KSU or Auburn?

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:46 PM

What a load of BS.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM

From everything I've heard/read about the situation, it seems like Currie overreacted, and the tension in the athletic department between these two is longstanding, supposedly.

I could absolutely be wrong.

Reerun_KC
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't get it are you a KU fan or a K-State fan?

Seriously?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Is it KSU or Auburn?

That's the thing. If the NCAA hammers Auburn, there are some potentially serious ramifications. They've already drilled one National Champion in USC. To admit that another cheated, if that did happen, would be to admit that the entire system is tainted.

They could hammer KSU as a "lesson" to everyone else and lose no sleep over it. It's just KSU. There's really no gray area in this one. There are wire transfer records.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM

I don't know, but ya'll obviously polished you skills up after that Big 10 debacle...

The question in no way invalidates the statement that Mizzou begged other conferences for two years to take them.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:51 PM

One thing we do agree on.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
From everything I've heard/read about the situation, it seems like Currie overreacted, and the tension in the athletic department between these two is longstanding, supposedly.

I could absolutely be wrong.

I think you're right about the second part. As far as "overreacted" goes, they guy was caught having money wired to him from a former coach. He was suspended for a game. If it was an overreaction, it wasn't much of one. You have a former coach wire you money and get caught? You are suspended. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

DeezNutz
I don't know, but ya'll obviously polished you skills up after that Big 10 debacle...

The question in no way invalidates the statement that Mizzou begged other conferences for two years to take them.

Mizzou begs must be some of the most influential petitions in the country. Link? Something direct and explicit that says that "Mizzou begged" for SEC membership? Something from a reputable outlet, not another CP poster?

Raiderhater
You really think Missouri duped and guilted and beguiled the SEC into expanding the conference?

You can't make this stuff up

You really think Mizzou doesn't have an inferiority complex?

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM

If we begged, why were there no strings attached to our membership? I don't recall Nebraska begging the B1G, but they accepted a junior membership. It seems like the team that begged wouldn't have any leverage. It was awfully nice of the SEC to share millions of dollars with us just out of the kindness of their hearts even though they didn't want us.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Mizzou begs must be some of the most influential petitions in the country. Link? Something direct and explicit that says that "Mizzou begged" for SEC membership? Something from a reputable outlet, not another CP poster?

Leonardo DiCaprio just begs supermodels to have sex with him.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
You really think Mizzou doesn't have an inferiority complex?

You're the one nipping at Mizzou fans' heels telling us how nobody wants us. There's definitely an inferiority complex somewhere.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Currie could have handled it in a way that did not involve benching the kid. There is a ten year prior relationship there. KSU could have notified the NCAA of the situation stating the prior relationship and let JamSam play while looking further into it.

Or so I've been led to believe by everything I've read on the situation.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio just begs supermodels to have sex with him.

Well, if he didn't have those TV markets!!

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Currie could have handled it in a way that did not involve benching the kid. There is a ten year prior relationship there. KSU could have notified the NCAA of the situation stating the prior relationship and let JamSam play while looking further into it.

Or so I've been led to believe by everything I've read on the situation.

So it could have been one of those punishments for taking money that didn't involve actually doing anything? He could have just made him go to bed without dessert or something?

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
You're the one nipping at Mizzou fans' heels telling us how nobody wants us. There's definitely an inferiority complex somewhere.

You all are the ones in this discussion STILL trying to vindicate your decision to bolt.

The day's news has nothing to do with the University of Missouri, and some how that school still keeps being brought up.... Amazing.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
So it could have been one of those punishments for taking money that didn't involve actually doing anything? He could have just made him go to bed without dessert or something?

According to the NCAA rules, and what information we have on what actually took place, there was nothing to be punished for.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 08:02 PM
You all are the ones in this discussion STILL trying to vindicate your decision to bolt.

The day's news has nothing to do with the University of Missouri, and some how that school still keeps being brought up.... Amazing.

KSU's coach bashes Mizzou for going to the SEC a month before bolting to the SEC himself, and you're surprised that someone pointed it out?

Raiderhater

Link stating that the SEC approached Mizzou first?

I love the history revisionists.

Saul Good
According to the NCAA rules, and what information we have on what actually took place, there was nothing to be punished for.

So it turns out that it IS legal to have HS coaches wire money to college players? Interesting if true.

Setsuna
03-26-2012, 08:03 PM

There is one ****ing SEC team in the final 4, One Big 12, One B1G and One Big East team (that wanted in the Big 12)
Big 12 is still shit. No way around that.

Raiderhater
KSU's coach bashes Mizzou for going to the SEC a month before bolting to the SEC himself, and you're surprised that someone pointed it out?

No, I knew there would be some who couldn't see the difference.

Saul Good

Obviously

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
No, I knew there would be some who couldn't see the difference.

The difference between the two is that Mizzou stands to make several million dollars a year more by moving to the SEC. Martin only stands to make $400K more.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
What a load of BS.

Frank Martin is leaving for a shittier school making only 400k more. Yes he has some emtional outburst in the past.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
So it turns out that it IS legal to have HS coaches wire money to college players? Interesting if true.

I'm GTSing, hold on a minute....

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 08:09 PM

No, the "begged" part.

And I think it's very selfish that Martin made this decision, definitely weakening KSU basketball, as well as the overall talent level of coaches in the Big XII.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh look butthurt towards Mizzou for leaving a shitty conference and a rivalry nobody cared about outside of Kansas/Missouri.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Frank Martin is leaving for a shittier school making only 400k more. Yes he has some emtional outburst in the past.

Less basketball tradition? Yep. But not a shittier school.

I think this is a lateral move in a lot of ways, and he'll get that program up and running quickly.

Brock
03-26-2012, 08:12 PM
That guy was highly overrated.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
No, the "begged" part.

And I think it's very selfish that Martin made this decision, definitely weakening KSU basketball, as well as the overall talent level of coaches in the Big XII.

Back to back years of trying to GTFO, what would you call it?

KevB
03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Less basketball tradition? Yep. But not a shittier school.

I think this is a lateral move in a lot of ways, and he'll get that program up and running quickly, assuming West makes the move with him.

They haven't won a tourney game is 35 years.

You're thinking of Dalonte Hill, the assistant who left for Maryland last year.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Back to back years of trying to GTFO, what would you call it?

Foresight.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
They haven't won a tourney game is 35 years.

You're thinking of Dalonte Hill, the assistant who left for Maryland last year.

Yep. I edited, but not in time. Completely screwed up everything in that post as I thought a bit more about it.

KevB
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Yep. I edited, but not in time. Completely screwed up everything in that post as I thought a bit more about it.

Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick. This whole thing is just beyond belief to me. Frank leaving for Miami? Yeah, I'd get that one. Leaving for a clearly better program/school? Sure. But regardless the relationship with the AD, it's just really odd that he'd take this kind of risk. I just have to believe there's quite a bit more to the story than we know at this point.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick. This whole thing is just beyond belief to me. Frank leaving for Miami? Yeah, I'd get that one. Leaving for a clearly better program/school? Sure. But regardless the relationship with the AD, it's just really odd that he'd take this kind of risk. I just have to believe there's quite a bit more to the story than we know at this point.

I can understand where you're coming from. I genuinely feel badly for KSU basketball fans.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Does the NCAA not post a copy of their compliance regs on line some where? Sheesh, over an hour of searching and I'm coming up with dick.

Saulbadguy
03-26-2012, 09:05 PM
That guy was highly overrated.

Agreed.

Braincase
03-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I think this sucks. Frank was good for KSU and good for the conference.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I think this sucks. Frank was good for KSU and good for the conference.

It's both funny and sad that so many rival fans think this, and so many KSU fans don't.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme.

KC_Connection
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
If his AD's meddling isn't allowing him to do his job effectively (and that seems to be the case), I don't blame him at all for leaving for a place where he'll be able to fully run the program.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Best I've been able to find so far is a tweet from Cole Manbeck

Cole Manbeck ? @Cole_Manbeck
From rulebook: "current student-athlete who, prior to initial collegiate enrollment, has been receiving normal and reasonable (continued)

Cole Manbeck ? @Cole_Manbeck
"living expenses from an individual with whom he or she has an established relationship may continue to receive occasional benefits."

So in answer to the question earlier: I'm not finding where former coaches are excluded from giving a little folding money to "their kids".

Bump
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
No shit?

This is a bad deal for the Big 12. He's not an elite coach and I really thought he was a poor game time coach but the ****er could recruit and put together tough basketball teams. I think the probability of getting a coach that will get better results than Martin is low.

not really, their AD must want to build a program and will get someone. Also, it doesn't really matter to us if the Big 12 is strong or not when the march tournament is all that really matters.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Best I've been able to find so far is a tweet from Cole Manbeck

So in answer to the question earlier: I'm not finding where former coaches are excluded from giving a little folding money to "their kids".

So this coach was paying for Samuels's living expenses prior to coming to KSU?

notorious
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
It's both funny and sad that so many rival fans think this, and so many KSU fans don't.

KSU fans have watched a lot more of his games.

KU fans like him because they won 95% of the time against him. If Jesus Christ was KSU's coach and beat them they would spit Jesus's grave.

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
So this coach was paying for Samuels's living expenses prior to coming to KSU?

Doubt it went that far. If so I think we would have heard more on it by now. But I'd be more than just a little surprised if this was the first time he'd sent the kid a few bucks.

KevB
03-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Before the last few days, I think the vast majority of Cat fans thought he was good for KState.

DeezNutz
If his AD's meddling isn't allowing him to do his job effectively (and that seems to be the case), I don't blame him at all for leaving for a place where he'll be able to fully run the program.

Neither do I (was being facetious in the last post).

Buehler445
not really, their AD must want to build a program and will get someone. Also, it doesn't really matter to us if the Big 12 is strong or not when the march tournament is all that really matters.

I disagree. Martin's teams played KU tough. And that is what they need. Winning by 40 is all good and well, but we need to be tested prior to the big dance.

Raiderhater
KSU fans have watched a lot more of his games.

KU fans like him because they won 95% of the time against him. If Jesus Christ was KSU's coach and beat them they would spit Jesus's grave.

Did KU fans have these same sentiments towards Wooly and Asbury?

Raiderhater
03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Before the last few days, I think the vast majority of Cat fans thought he was good for KState.

I've seen plenty of people posting to the contrary before this past week.

DeezNutz
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
With Martin, K-State fans had to be pretty confident about a couple of things:

1. The team would likely finish in the top half of the conference.
2. The team would likely be playing in the NCAA tournament.

This might not sound like a ton, but a lot of programs would love to have this type of consistency. And, frankly (sorry), this should be the level of expectation at K-State. Some years, you'll be better, perhaps much better, but the above is a pretty damn good norm by most standards.

I think, too often, fans start to get unrealistic expectations.

Boon
03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Adios muchacho.

KevB
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I've seen plenty of people posting to the contrary before this past week.

Vocal minority. There were things about him that some didn't like, but with his record, most were fine with him overall IMO.

KevB
03-26-2012, 09:37 PM
With Martin, K-State fans had to be pretty confident about a couple of things:

1. The team would likely finish in the top half of the conference.
2. The team would likely be playing in the NCAA tournament.

This might not sound like a ton, but a lot of programs would love to have this type of consistency. And, frankly (sorry), this should be the level of expectation at K-State. Some years, you'll be better, perhaps much better, but the above is a pretty damn good norm by most standards.

I think, too often, fans start to get unrealistic expectations.

I agree with you, and I think many KStaters have similar feelings. I think most schools should have these expectations.

morphius
03-26-2012, 09:46 PM

KSU fans are probably just pissed at him for leaving, or thinking that there is another Self out there just jumping at the chance to coach for that blue chip level KSU basketball program.

I liked his intensity, it was a bit much, but it worked. Count me in with the opponent fans that think it is a loss for the big 12. I think the KSU fans forgot that until Martin showed up, they had lost every single home game against KU since 1984.

notorious
03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
KSU fans are probably just pissed at him for leaving, or thinking that there is another Self out there just jumping at the chance to coach for that blue chip level KSU basketball program.

I liked his intensity, it was a bit much, but it worked. Count me in with the opponent fans that think it is a loss for the big 12. I think the KSU fans forgot that until Martin showed up, they had lost every single home game against KU since 1984.

Frank is a decent coach and recruiter. But the eyes don't lie, his players rarely ran an offense, and it drove me crazy.

With some of the talent he had, if they could just get basic ball movement and some player movement away from the ball they would have done much better.

Mizzou_8541
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Frank is a decent coach and recruiter. But the eyes don't lie, his players rarely ran an offense, and it drove me crazy.

With some of the talent he had, if they could just get basic ball movement and some player movement away from the ball they would have done much better.

Sounds like Quin Snyder, except for the decent coach part.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-27-2012, 06:08 AM

I'm sure he's got scores of Beakers he can quote to "prove" it.

Sources such as Wicked, Bearcat, Ken Pom Connection, Reerun....

Pasta Little Brioni
03-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Well, if he didn't have those TV markets!!

What about his endowment?/Wicked

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Just when I thought you couldn't be a more terrible poster....

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Powertard staff as well as Kellis claim Tad Boyle is the top target.

LOLWUT

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
They should make a hard run at Danny Manning.

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Powertard staff as well as Kellis claim Tad Boyle is the top target.

LOLWUT

Why is that funny? Do you not like him, or do you not think he would be interested?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Why is that funny? Do you not like him, or do you not think he would be interested?

Both

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 07:23 AM

HE TURNED a 4 STAR PLAYER IN TO AN ALL AMERICAN!!!!!!!11111

Lex Luthor
03-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Why? That would be a disaster for everybody.

Danny Manning doesn't have the outgoing personality needed to be a successful head coach. He is great as an assistant coach teaching the big men how to play the game.

They should make a hard run at someone who has at least BEEN a head coach.

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Why? That would be a disaster for everybody.

Danny Manning doesn't have the outgoing personality needed to be a successful head coach. He is great as an assistant coach teaching the big men how to play the game.

They should make a hard run at someone who has at least BEEN a head coach.

I think he would be a good head coach. He's been in the NBA, and recruits love that. He's coached for one of the best in the country, so the resume is there. It would also stick it to your rival.

I think it would be a homerun.

What head coach are you going to lure away from an existing program? McDermott is the only one that seems to make sense, and it doesn't sound like he wants it. Smart would e huge, but he turned down Illinois. It would be a huge coup for Curry to land him, but it seems unlikely.

When your coach leaves to go to one of the least successful BCS programs in the country (and he had no ties to the program), it's hard to see how they are going to poach a head coach.

I feel like Mizzou got lucky that Haith wasn't a disaster, IMO. KSU is in a similar situation, possibly worse. I think Manning would immediately flip this thing on it's head and be a net plus for KSU.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I think he would be a good head coach. He's been in the NBA, and recruits love that. He's coached for one of the best in the country, so the resume is there. It would also stick it to your rival.

I think it would be a homerun.

What head coach are you going to lure away from an existing program? McDermott is the only one that seems to make sense, and it doesn't sound like he wants it. Smart would e huge, but he turned down Illinois. It would be a huge coup for Curry to land him, but it seems unlikely.

When your coach leaves to go to one of the least successful BCS programs in the country (and he had no ties to the program), it's hard to see how they are going to poach a head coach.

I feel like Mizzou got lucky that Haith wasn't a disaster, IMO. KSU is in a similar situation, possibly worse. I think Manning would immediately flip this thing on it's head and be a net plus for KSU.

I agree with most of your post except the part about Manning being a good hire.

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Who is your homerun hire (someone possible but probably unlikely)?

For Mizzou, it was Matt Painter. Actually, he would have been beyond a homerun hire. I was stunned that he even considered it. I'm glad we got Haith, but it felt like a whiff at the time.

I really can't come up with many candidates that jump out at me. Smart would be a homerun, IMO. McDermott would be a good hire but not on the level of Smart.

Other than that, I see a bunch of coaches where you just kind of sit back and hope for the best.

(I wonder if Lon Kruger would leave Oklahoma.)

Mick Cronin would be a solid get, too.

KevB
03-27-2012, 08:01 AM

I agree, but who do you think would be a good hire?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:33 AM
HOMERUN
Bruce Pearl

Great hires
Buzz Williams
Chris Mack
Chris Collins

Meh
Steve Alford
Tommy Amaker
Tad Boyle
Shaka Smart
Brad Stevens
John Pelphrey

Shit hires
Brad Underwood
Tim Jankovich

Mr_Tomahawk
03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
HOMERUN
Bruce Pearl

Great hires
Buzz Williams
Chris Mack
Chris Collins

Meh
Steve Alford
Tommy Amaker
Tad Boyle
Shaka Smart
Brad Stevens
John Pelphrey

Shit hires
Brad Underwood
Tim Jankovich

Brad Stevens would be a grand slam. That guy would be great for the conference but I would hate to play against his teams. He is a full on nerd when it comes to game-planning and in game adjustments...

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Brad Stevens would be a grand slam. That guy would be great for the conference but I would hate to play against his teams. He is a full on nerd when it comes to game-planning and in game adjustments...

:ZZZ:

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
How is Pearl a homerun when Smart and Stevens are "meh"?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:44 AM
http://www.wistv.com/category/220755/wistv-streaming-video

Lex Luthor
03-27-2012, 08:44 AM
HOMERUN
Bruce Pearl

Great hires
Buzz Williams
Chris Mack
Chris Collins

Meh
Steve Alford
Tommy Amaker
Tad Boyle
Shaka Smart
Brad Stevens
John Pelphrey

Shit hires
Brad Underwood
Tim Jankovich

The fact that you rank Bruce Pearl as a home run and Smart and Stevens as "Meh" tells us all we need to know.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
How is Pearl a homerun when Smart and Stevens are "meh"?

'cruiting

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Hilarious that they scheduled (moved) the press conferences at the same time.

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
'cruiting

Pearl gets to do that in 2016, right?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
'cruiting

Yeah because everyone wants to play at VCU and Butler...

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Pearl gets to do that in 2016, right?

He is currently secretly recruiting.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
K-State press conference coming up.

http://www.kstatesports.com/allaccess/

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Oh, my. SC is an under armor school? LOL.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
WHITE HOT ANGER.

Fuck you John Currie. Fuck you.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:13 AM
WHITE HOT ANGER.

**** you John Currie. **** you.

Watching him is weird. He looks calm, almost bored one minute and nervous as f#ck the next. Eyes darting around, hands fidgeting, a multitude of facial expressions....

Dude just comes across as shady.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Watching him is weird. He looks calm, almost bored one minute and nervous as f#ck the next. Eyes darting around, hands fidgeting, a multitude of facial expressions....

Dude just comes across as shady.

Whoa - you changed your avatar. Almost didn't recognize ya.

Predarat
03-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Horrible fail by KState, just when that program was turning around. That bastard AD better make a good hire.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I would be calling for the head of the AD, you can't be happy losing your HC to the gamecocks(definitely a step-down).

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Whoa - you changed your avatar. Almost didn't recognize ya.

:) It was time for a small break.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
I would be calling for the head of the AD, you can't be happy losing your HC to the gamecocks(definitely a step-down).

My season tickets are right on the aisle that this motherfucker walks by for every home game. I'm going to dump a tub of popcorn on his stupid looking head.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Currie stating he and Frank had a strong relationship, BS?

KevB
03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Currie stating he and Frank had a strong relationship, BS?

Of course it's BS. Waaaaaaay too much smoke, and people connected directly to Martin who say otherwise.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Of course it's BS. Waaaaaaay too much smoke, and people connected directly to Martin who say otherwise.

Ya, the media is really calling him out in the pc.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Currie blames twitter and the intraweb idiots...lolz.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Someone actually turned in the f#cking receipt from Western Union? WTF?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
"For us to do nothing..." (regarding the NCAA violation)

Next time, DO NOTHING. There are 4 teams in the Final Four that DO NOTHING.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Already had a list of prospective coaches when he interviewed? Telling...

KevB
03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
The whole Jamar receipt thing is just beyond bizarre. Who the F would pick up a receipt and then take it to the admin's office? I just can't fathom the steps to get to that point.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Questions starting to get to Currie.

KevB
03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Already had a list of prospective coaches when he interviewed? Telling...

Every AD should have a short list, no matter how stable things appear.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Frank says money is not the driving force. He kept putting off discussions about contract extensions. He told Currie that if the SC job was offered he was going to take it. But these two had a healthy working relationship?

Transparency my ass.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Every AD should have a short list, no matter how stable things appear.

The way Schultz made it sound, the other people he interviewed didn't.

Imon Yourside
Man the media is really drilling these guys, loved the last q.

How can you lose a coach to a school with NO tradition in a Football conference....

Backpedal....stumble.....

that's the theme.

My dad is rolling over in his grave hearing this PC...that's for sure..

the Talking Can
The whole Jamar receipt thing is just beyond bizarre. Who the F would pick up a receipt and then take it to the admin's office? I just can't fathom the steps to get to that point.

seriously...there is a lot more to that story

HemiEd
03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Man the media is really drilling these guys, loved the last q.

How can you lose a coach to a school with NO tradition in a Football conference....

Backpedal....stumble.....

that's the theme.No tradition? Didn't Eddie Fogler make a stop there?

KevB
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
The way Schultz made it sound, the other people he interviewed didn't.

....and was part of the reason those people weren't hired. Any AD worth his salt has a list of five guys he/she would talk to if a coach leaves or is fired. It's just solid planning. There have been plenty of things to attack or analyze about this presser, that's not one of them.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
No tradition? Didn't Eddie Fogler make a stop there?

Just listening to the reporters as they corner Currie.

HemiEd
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Just listening to the reporters as they corner Currie.

I was trying to be funny. I agree, SC does not have a basketball tradition and I HATE Eddie Fogler.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
That presser did nothing but piss me off even more. It's a sad day in EMAW Nation.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
So in summary it seems that Currie suggested it wasn't a rift, it was just the fact Frank Martin really wanted to step up to a basketball school/conference and really liked his old AD in Currie.

ROFL

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
....and was part of the reason those people weren't hired. Any AD worth his salt has a list of five guys he/she would talk to if a coach leaves or is fired. It's just solid planning. There have been plenty of things to attack or analyze about this presser, that's not one of them.

Maybe, maybe not. First time I've ever paid any attention to Currie. And while some may think it's just because I'm upset over this situation, I don't like him. Bar tending for several years you become pretty good at reading people. Currie is shady, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Petro really tearing through the BS.... quite hilarious from an outsiders perspective.

KevB
03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Maybe, maybe not. First time I've ever paid any attention to Currie. And while some may think it's just because I'm upset over this situation, I don't like him. Bar tending for several years you become pretty good at reading people. Currie is shady, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Not sure how this is related to my comments? Having a short list of possible coaches has nothing to do with whether Currie is shady.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Ecokat would turn him in for not recycling.

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Not sure how this is related to my comments? Having a short list of possible coaches has nothing to do with whether Currie is shady.

I'm kinda thinking Martin's style was a turn off to JC before he ever got the job. There are plenty of people who don't like it. I'm not sure he hasn't been waiting for this moment from the get go.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Petro really tearing through the BS.... quite hilarious from an outsiders perspective.

Pretty hilarious (but also angering) from an insiders perspective.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
How many Cats are headed to Manhattan with Torches/Pitchforks as i Type?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
How many Cats are headed to Manhattan with Torches/Pitchforks as i Type?

They are feeling the brunt of my social media attacks, that's for sure.

qabbaan
03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
That grocery store snitch story reeks to high heaven of BS.

With such a clueless AD who just drove a coach off you have to wonder how they will get a decent coach in there. It's not like this is Illinois or anything. (sorry)

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
That grocery store snitch story reeks to high heaven of BS.

With such a clueless AD who just drove a coach off you have to wonder how they will get a decent coach in there. It's not like this is Illinois or anything. (sorry)

a goemaw poster with proven sources says it's legit.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 11:08 AM
a goemaw poster with proven sources says it's legit.

mouthpiece for the AD.

Brock
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Wow. What a phony put up job.

So they just didn't have the balls to fire him, or what?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2012, 11:12 AM

can you read?

fire him for what?

Saul Good
03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

If they wanted to fire him, this is brilliant. They got $1,000,000 out of South Carolina. I don't think that was their intent, though.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Crud. https://twitter.com/kstate_pres/status/184755768585756673

Raiderhater
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Supposedly Martin is going to be on 810 some time during the 5 o'clock hour. I'll miss it because I'm at work, so if someone catches it and were to post a synopsis I'd be very appreciative.

Setsuna
03-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Crud! I haven't got there yet and coaches are already leaving!? I'm sad. :(

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
A big "NO" from Schultzie on a coach with history like Pearl? And we'll settle for some loser like Tad Boyle? F me.

Mojo Jojo
03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
A big "NO" from Schultzie on a coach with history like Pearl? And we'll settle for some loser like Tad Boyle? F me.
I'm not a big fan of the Tad Boyle idea, but a year ago he swept the Cats in the games and Colorado was one of the last teams not to make the and probably should have been invited. This year he wins the Pac 12 Tourney and gets to the NCAA's. Not too bad coaching at one of the worst supported D-1 mens BBall programs. Once again he is not near the top of my list, but I will listen.

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
The only positive about Tad Boyle is that he's not Tim Jankovich.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2012, 08:09 PM

that IS a pretty big positive. I was all over the Buzz Williams train until I read he already makes $2.6mil at Marquette. I heard he has a similar relationship with his AD though.

kstater
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Please go find Upshaw and give him lots of money to stay. Thanks in advance.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Please go find Upshaw and give him lots of money to stay. Thanks in advance.

has anyone determined if the other kid signed an LOI?