PDA

View Full Version : KSU Shaka Smart?

Thig Lyfe
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I know he says he wants to fart around at VCU some more, but could K-State lure him over? It would certainly add some spice to the KU/K-State relationship (I hesitate to call something so one-sided a "rivalry").

Diss/cuss.

Buck
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
no.

The Bad Guy
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
There's no chance he's going to take the KSU job after turning down Ililnois.

lcarus
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM

This basically.

Micjones
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
He turned the Illinois job down? Wow.

chiefs2012
03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
LMAO

lcarus
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM

I was kinda surprised to see that Shaka makes 1.2 million dollars per year with VCU. I guess if he really enjoys working there, and the money is good enough, why not play the loyalty card for a while? He'll probably go somewhere else eventually and he'll look good for sticking with Virginia Commonwealth for a few more years.

Dante84
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Bruce Pearl is another sexy name.

Between the show clause, and the fact that Currie was brought in to be sheriff and "clean up the mess," there's no way we bring him in even if he wanted the job.

This is a lose all around situation for K-State.

Thig Lyfe

They could tell him how great Aggieville is! Nearly THREE BLOCKS of nothing but sports bars!!!!!

WV
I was kinda surprised to see that Shaka makes 1.2 million dollars per year with VCU. I guess if he really enjoys working there, and the money is good enough, why not play the loyalty card for a while? He'll probably go somewhere else eventually and he'll look real good for sticking with Virginia Commonwealth for a few more years.

Exactly, why would he go somewhere with high expectations when he's already exceeded them where he's at and already makes good coin.

lcarus
Maybe he'll end up with KU someday.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Doc Sadler

ILChief
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Smart turned down Illinois. I doubt he would go to KSU

Micjones
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I was kinda surprised to see that Shaka makes 1.2 million dollars per year with VCU. I guess if he really enjoys working there, and the money is good enough, why not play the loyalty card for a while? He'll probably go somewhere else eventually and he'll look good for sticking with Virginia Commonwealth for a few more years.

Touche.

KChiefer
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM

I was disappointed he turned us down but wasn't surprised. Weber enjoyed nowhere near the success he had in '05, but our new AD gave him the axe after one year of being together and alluded he would do so halfway through the season. Money is not Smart's goal, and I doubt he volunteers himself for a shorter leash at a 3rd tier program.

Titty Meat
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Who's the favorite for Illinois now? I've heard a few candidates have turned them down.

Edit: Nevermind looks like you guys are getting Groce. Good hire.

sedated
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Illinois is a disaster of a job, and the way they have handled it hasn't helped.

Worth a shot, but if k-state reaches out to Shaka, better keep it quiet. Unlike a certain other program whose public rejections have their reputation circling the drain.

tmw4h5
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
He looks like Nick Wright.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I didn't know Smart had turned down Illinois. Holy shit. That guy's got some huge balls. I'll give him that. Illinois has absolutely no excuse for not being a monster of a program, and Smart seems like a perfect fit.

Reerun_KC
03-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Saul Good. We miss you in the Kansas threads...

Come back...

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Saul Good. We miss you in the Kansas threads...

Come back...

I thought about posting in there today. I heard a snippet from an interview with Self that I found interesting. He's actually been pretty consistent all year, but this was the first time I heard him come right out and say it. He said that this year's team was his favorite team he'd ever coached. I thought that was pretty cool.

This year's Mizzou team was the favorite I'd ever watched. I'm going to miss a lot of the players. You get a team like Kentucky that's just a bunch of mercenaries, and you don't get to know the players and really enjoy having them represent your school. I'm glad to see that these are evidently a good group of kids.

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Oops, repost

qabbaan
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Who's the favorite for Illinois now? I've heard a few candidates have turned them down.

Edit: Nevermind looks like you guys are getting Groce. Good hire.

Maybe Calvin Sampson!

veist
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
The rumor about Smart turning down Illinois is he didn't want to have to deal with the recruiting scene in Chicago, which is probably the only thing approximating a good reason to turn that job down if you're a coach in his position.

saphojunkie
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I know he says he wants to fart around at VCU some more, but could K-State lure him over? It would certainly add some spice to the KU/K-State relationship (I hesitate to call something so one-sided a "rivalry").

Diss/cuss.

Get in line.

Extra Point
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Capel. He's learned a lot, and would be a good coach for KSU.