PDA

View Full Version : Poop Comfortable work boots

booger
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Looking for thoughts on the most comfortable work boots out there in CP land. Preferably looking for pull on cowboy boot type with no laces. Have always worn Georgia boot before but I don't get the ankle support anymore. Always had the lace ups too but wanted opinions on pull on types. What's your brand? Wolverine, Dr. Martens, Rocky?

Sell me something you Al Bundies.

Brock
03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Buy a pair of redwings. Then 10 years from now, buy another pair of redwings.

rocknrolla
03-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Can't go wrong with Redwings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I've had good luck with Eccos. They aren't pull on and you will hate life when you pay the bill, but they've lasted and have good comfort.

I put a pair of orthotics in them for plantar faciitis, so I lace up $500 everyday, but I'm not buying anything else.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Yeah i got to try on a pair

booger
03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
I've had good luck with Eccos. They aren't pull on and you will hate life when you pay the bill, but they've lasted and have good comfort.

I put a pair of orthotics in them for plantar faciitis, so I lace up $500 everyday, but I'm not buying anything else.

I've got a bad ankle i've got to support. For 500 it better come with a hand tuggy too.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:15 PM
gotta be steel toed too.

Bugeater
03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I bought a pair of Wolverines early last summer. They weren't terribly comfortable off the shelf but I bought a set of those gel insoles which helped a lot. While they have held up well as far as the construction of them, I'm pretty disappointed in how quickly the soles wore out considering 50% of the walking I do is indoors, and half of my outdoor time is on grass. I wouldn't recommend them.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I've got a bad ankle i've got to support. For 500 it better come with a hand tuggy too.

Boots are like 250 and the insoles from the chiropractor are like 250. If you're body isn't junk, you don't have to lace up 500.

The lace ups have good ankle support. If it is really bad you should try some sort of ankle wrap.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO005/

I have this one and like it a lot. It gives you some support without much motion restriction or binding/cutting. If you really torque the ankle it won't stop it like a really restrictive job, but for everyday stuff it is really good and has all-day comfort.

Bugeater
03-26-2012, 10:18 PM
10 years? Seriously? With daily use?

Extra Point
03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Lace up steel toed Red Wings FTW. Bought a pair in '89, and they still look just a few years old. I don't wear them that often, just when I'm visiting a mfg plant, ~twice a week.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I bought a pair of Wolverines early last summer. They weren't terribly comfortable off the shelf but I bought a set of those gel insoles which helped a lot. While they have held up well as far as the construction of them, I'm pretty disappointed in how quickly the soles wore out considering 50% of the walking I do is indoors, and half of my outdoor time is on grass. I wouldn't recommend them.

Thanks for the input. Was thinking Durashocks would be one of my top choices. I hate to think of spending 100 bucks plus on a pair and have them wear out quickly. I'll be on concrete for 50 hrs plus/week. Doc Martens used to be a heck of boot too but like so much else they are getting made in China now.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the input. Was thinking Durashocks would be one of my top choices. I hate to think of spending 100 bucks plus on a pair and have them wear out quickly. I'll be on concrete for 50 hrs plus/week. Doc Martens used to be a heck of boot too but like so much else they are getting made in China now.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I see that isn't reflected in the price. :#

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Seriously though, try a pair of eccos. One time. If they suck, you can neg rep me to oblivion.

Bugeater
03-26-2012, 10:27 PM
IIRC I paid around $80 for them. They weren't top of the line but I've had cheaper boots with better soles on them. It's kind of a shame because other than that they are solid.

I'm in the same boat right now, I need a new pair and I'm not against spending some coin on them but I want to be damn sure what I buy is going to be worth it.

Brock
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
10 years? Seriously? With daily use?

10 years of what? Trekking the amazon? Probably not. Working in a machine shop? yes, definitely.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Boots are like 250 and the insoles from the chiropractor are like 250. If you're body isn't junk, you don't have to lace up 500.

The lace ups have good ankle support. If it is really bad you should try some sort of ankle wrap.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO005/

I have this one and like it a lot. It gives you some support without much motion restriction or binding/cutting. If you really torque the ankle it won't stop it like a really restrictive job, but for everyday stuff it is really good and has all-day comfort.

that's a good idea, thanks! Still got the plain old leather lace up support.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

I see that isn't reflected in the price. :#

I read it on the amazon.com comments. Almost puked

booger
03-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Seriously though, try a pair of eccos. One time. If they suck, you can neg rep me to oblivion.

I'll have to research them to find a retailer to try on a pair and knock off a bank to finance it.:)

I guess "you get what you pay for" holds true to it's name today as much as ever.

Bugeater
03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I'll have to research them to find a retailer to try on a pair and knock off a bank to finance it.:)

I guess "you get what you pay for" holds true to it's name today as much as ever.
True, but just because something has a high price doesn't mean it's worth it.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
10 years of what? Trekking the amazon? Probably not. Working in a machine shop? yes, definitely.

I'd tell you guys i was hunting anaconda way down south but i'd be BSing. Mark me down for machine shop.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
IIRC I paid around $80 for them. They weren't top of the line but I've had cheaper boots with better soles on them. It's kind of a shame because other than that they are solid.

I'm in the same boat right now, I need a new pair and I'm not against spending some coin on them but I want to be damn sure what I buy is going to be worth it.

That's what pisses me off is the tread wear of the soles. Them little bastards in singapore just can't seem to get it right.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
That's what pisses me off is the tread wear of the soles. Them little bastards in singapore just can't seem to get it right.

Hey don't hate them. They just sew what they're told to sew.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
True, but just because something has a high price doesn't mean it's worth it.

I know what you mean. I recently lost 130 lbs...threw the bitch in the river.

booger
03-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey don't hate them. They just sew what they're told to sew.

their engineering department needs a swift kick in the rear

Bwana
03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I just bought a new pair of Keen aluminum toe work boots last week. I kept hearing the workers at Exxon and Conoco bragging about them, so I gave them a shot. There were saying they were the only boots they could work in all day and have their feet feel good by the end of the day and I have to tell you, they were right. The model I bought, was the Portland PR. I paid $179, but you may be able to find a better deal. I didn't have time to shop around last week.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-keen-portland-pr-6-inch-aluminum-black-p_id231819

http://s.onlineshoes.com/images/br038/273820_366_45.jpg

Groves
03-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, if you're gonna spend the cash anyways.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

Bwana
03-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Well, if you're gonna spend the cash anyways.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

I own a pair of Whites as well, great boots, but the Keens are more comfortable.

Extra Point
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Try these on for virtual size:

Made in USA: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3507-red-wing-shoes/3507-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Wings-Steel-Toe-Work-Boots-3507-10D-/300685008670?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4602391f1e
Buy it Now: $110 free shipping

booger
03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I just bought a new pair of Keen aluminum toe work boots last week. I kept hearing the workers at Exxon and Conoco bragging about them, so I gave them a shot. There were saying they were the only boots they could work in all day and have their feet feel good by the end of the day and I have to tell you, they were right. The model I bought, was the Portland PR. I paid $179, but you may be able to find a better deal. I didn't have time to shop around last week.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-keen-portland-pr-6-inch-aluminum-black-p_id231819

didn't even know they made them out of aluminum. 'Meets ANSI Z41 PT99 standards' was good to see. That would suck on some of them if it wasn't a strong enough toe. Light weight aluminum makes sense. Beats the shit out of pig iron which my Georgia boots feel like most days.

Thanks!

Bwana
03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
didn't even know they made them out of aluminum. 'Meets ANSI Z41 PT99 standards' was good to see. That would suck on some of them if it wasn't a strong enough toe. Light weight aluminum makes sense. Beats the shit out of pig iron which my Georgia boots feel like most days.

Thanks!

Yeah, you pay the extra $20 for it, but well worth it. When I'm humping it up to the top of towers at a refinery, or power plant, it's $20 well spent. Like I said, these workers knew what they were talking about, very comfortable.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I didn't know keen made work boots. May have to give them a try. Not in black though. WTF you thinking bwana?

booger
03-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Try these on for virtual size:

Made in USA: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3507-red-wing-shoes/3507-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Wings-Steel-Toe-Work-Boots-3507-10D-/300685008670?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4602391f1e
Buy it Now: $110 free shipping

Yeah, you pay the extra $20 for it, but well worth it. When I'm humping it up to the top of towers at a refinery, or power plant, it's $20 well spent. Like I said, these workers knew what they were talking about, very comfortable.

you guys might be onto something with the mid top sized boots. I've always had the high tops that come up to your calf. That in itself cuts some weight off of it.

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
you guys might be onto something with the mid top sized boots. I've always had the high tops that come up to your calf. That in itself cuts some weight off of it.

You wear boots that come up to your calf?

booger
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
You wear boots that come up to your calf?

not quite that far i guess. Where the calf attaches to the achilles tendon. 10-12" tall i suppose

Buehler445
03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Mine come just above my ankle bone.

booger
03-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Mine come just above my ankle bone.

i try to protect my ankle because my left one likes to sublux (partially dislocate). I'll be a candidate someday if/when they figure out how to do ankle joint replacements. I think you are right on the money when you posted the link about the support. Otherwise it's general being on your feet all day soreness just like the next guy.

threebag
03-26-2012, 11:23 PM
You don't want to go all Clark Hunt when buying a pair of work boots.

booger
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
ROFL

Bugeater
03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
You don't want to go all Clark Hunt when buying a pair of work boots.
While you are correct, the people that require this type of footwear generally don't have Clark Hunt's type of money to spend. A pair of Red Wings would eat up a pretty good chunk of one of my paychecks.

Phobia
03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
An old man gave me some advice many years ago. You want shoes (or boots) to last - buy 2 pair. Wear one Monday, the next Tuesday, the ones you wore Monday on Wednesday, and so on. They'll last twice as long this way. I always destroy the inside of my shoes long before the outside. This helps.

R8RFAN
03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Vote for RedWings here too

In58men
03-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Wolverine DuraShocks

Delano
03-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Vote for RedWings here too

Made in China.

I've been wearing Whites and Danners for the past five years and would recommend both brands.

Bwana
03-27-2012, 06:00 AM
I didn't know keen made work boots. May have to give them a try. Not in black though. WTF you thinking bwana?

Heh, it's the only color to go with in my case, because brown will turn into black, wondering around power plants, refineries and mines.

Chief Roundup
03-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Red Wings are very good boots

prhom
03-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Made in China.

I've been wearing Whites and Danners for the past five years and would recommend both brands.

I was gonna speak up for the Danners but you beat me to it. I had a pair that I wore everyday for around 3 years. Got the hiker style steel toe and I believe the vibram soles. So comfortable I'd wear them on the weekends too. I ended up getting red wings this last time because I couldn't find a retailer to try on the new styles, and I never buy shoes I can't try on first. Still prefer the Danners to the Red Wings.

Delano
03-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Every pair of Keens I've had have the same issue. The rubber toe shield piece comes unattached. Do those work boots have the same problem?

REDHOTGTO
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
im on concrete all day , i choose rocky work boots, you can find them on ebay for a lot cheaper than the stores, i think i gave 50.00 last pair, you'll love them

Bwana
03-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Every pair of Keens I've had have the same issue. The rubber toe shield piece comes unattached. Do those work boots have the same problem?

There must be 100 workers out at Exxonmobil refinery here in town that own them and I have never had anyone say anything negative about them. Turst me, if that were the case, these guys would talk. I like the fact that they are made in the US as well. I also like the fact that you can return them, if you don't like them within 90 days.

They stand behind their product. This from the web page:

If within 90 days from the date of purchase, your KEEN Utility Footwear is not the most comfortable you have worn, we’ll take them back, no questions asked.

Built in the USA in our hometown of Portland, OR, these boots are tough enough to stand up to shards of glass, jagged metal and even nails. PR stands for puncture resistant soles, which, along with their lightweight aluminum toe box and moisture wicking waterproof lining, makes the Portland PR the perfect protection for heavy-duty construction or waste management.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/industrial/portland%20pr%206in_/black#

Buehler445
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Heh, it's the only color to go with in my case, because brown will turn into black, wondering around power plants, refineries and mines.

Heh. My feet got 3rd degree burns from just imagining how hot my feet would be if I wore black boots in July.

NewChief
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
There must be 100 workers out at Exxonmobil refinery here in town that own them and I have never had anyone say anything negative about them. Turst me, if that were the case, these guys would talk. I like the fact that they are made in the US as well. I also like the fact that you can return them, if you don't like them within 90 days.

They stand behind their product. This from the web page:

If within 90 days from the date of purchase, your KEEN Utility Footwear is not the most comfortable you have worn, we’ll take them back, no questions asked.

Built in the USA in our hometown of Portland, OR, these boots are tough enough to stand up to shards of glass, jagged metal and even nails. PR stands for puncture resistant soles, which, along with their lightweight aluminum toe box and moisture wicking waterproof lining, makes the Portland PR the perfect protection for heavy-duty construction or waste management.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/industrial/portland%20pr%206in_/black#

I had a pair of Keen shoes that I wore into the ground. The leather upper finally started separating from the sole. They were bulletproof, though. The best part of them was that I could wear them to teach, come home and mow the lawn in them, get up on the roof to clean the gutters, slog through the mud on a hike, lounge around the house, and back to work. They were also slipons, so they were my default (gotta run out in the rain/snow/whatever and grab the mail and newspaper shoes). They never looked worse for the wear, and I wore them in all situations.

I have a new pair of Keens, but I'm not nearly as happy with the look of them (they just don't look as beefy). I don't have any complaints about the comfort or performance, though. I'll probably like them after I break them in a bit more. Currently they just look too new.

I can imagine that their boots would be quality.

Buehler445
04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
What did you get and do they suck? you like them?