PDA

View Full Version : Sigmund Bloom's Mock

Quesadilla Joe
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
1. Indianapolis - QB Andrew Luck (Stanford) - Some will try to create a story out of the possibility that the Colts could opt for Robert Griffin III. It ain't happening.

2. Washington (from St. Louis) - QB Robert Griffin III (Baylor) - It's a good thing that the Redskins did their deal before his pro day. The price would have only gone up since then.

3. Minnesota - OT Matt Kalil (USC) - GM Rick Spielman is doing his job, creating an impression that the Vikings are seriously considering multiple prospects to create a better trade up market. In the end, the high bar set by the Redskins-Rams trade and value of the only sure-fire left tackle in the draft means Kalil goes to the Vikings.

4. Cleveland - RB Trent Richardson (Alabama) - This pick will be difficult to predict right up until draft day. A compelling argument can be made for WR Justin Blackmon and CB Morris Claiborne, and a credible argument can be made for QB Ryan Tannehill. Richardson "feels right" because he has the highest floor and best overall grade. He can help QB Colt McCoy by giving the team a legitimate all-pro talent at running back. Running back positional value is low, but Richardson is the best prospect since Adrian Peterson.

5. Tampa Bay - CB Morris Claiborne (LSU) - The Buccaneers will be happy to take whichever of Claiborne and Richardson is there. Both fill long-term needs and can contribute immediately, and both are great players to establish the new culture under head coach Greg Schiano.

6. St. Louis (from Washington) - WR Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma State) - The Rams will be happy to scoop up whichever of Richardson, Claiborne, and Blackmon fall to them. I made the video case that Blackmon going this high is a reach, but the Rams need a security blanket for Sam Bradford.

7. Jacksonville - DE/OLB Melvin Ingram (South Carolina) - The Jags have to hope that Blackmon falls for them to take him, Richardson falls for a trade down, or someone wants to leapfrog Miami for Ryan Tannehill to get maximum value for this pick. I wouldn't bet on any of the three happening. Ingram is a nice consolation for an underrated defense.

8. Miami - QB Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M) - Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said that Matt Flynn would be in Miami if head coach Joe Philbin wanted him. He was probably covering for a toxicity that seems to be keeping players away from South Beach, but it also could be an indication that offensive coordinator and Tannehill college coach Mike Sherman has given him the stamp of approval. Yes, he is worth a pick this high - I'll be making the case on video later this week.

9. Carolina - DE Quinton Coples (North Carolina) - Despite the glaring need for a defensive tackle, Coples is the highest ceiling defensive lineman in the draft. I think Panthers are willing to roll the dice that his senior year was more a product of the UNC culture than Coples innate effort level.

10. Buffalo - WR Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) - After losing out to the Chargers for Robert Meachem, the Bills still get a size/speed receiver to open things up for their pass offense. Offensive tackle is a massive need, but none might be worthy of a top ten pick.

11. Kansas City - DT Dontari Poe (Memphis) - This pick just feels right with the rest of the Chiefs defense coming together and Pioli coming from the New England school of thought.

12. Seattle - LB Luke Kuechly (Boston College) - No matter how you project the first round, the Seahawks always have at least three great options that fill needs to choose from here.

13. Arizona - OT Riley Reiff (Iowa) - I am more convinced every day that Reiff doesn't ideally project at left tackle, but the Cardinal are in dire straits at both OT positions, so they aren't going to be picky.

14. Dallas - OG David DeCastro (Stanford) - You can make a good argument for any number of players here, but DeCastro is the best overall prospect still available.

15. Philadelphia - DT Fletcher Cox (Mississippi State) - Cox fits the Andy Reid penchant for trench players in the first round and he fits the track record of what the Eagles like in defensive tackles.

16. New York Jets - OT Jonathan Martin (Stanford) - Martin might be an adequate-to-good NFL left tackle, but he can be a quality right tackle from day one, which is where the Jets are in trouble with Wayne Hunter holding down the spot right now.

17. Cincinnati (from Oakland) - CB Stephon Gilmore (South Carolina) - Cornerback makes sense based on need and value. Gilmore's aggressiveness is a match for the Bengals style of defense.

18. San Diego - DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus (Illinois) - The Chargers go back to the well for an OLB who played college ball in the state of Illinois after they struck out with Larry English in 2009.

19. Chicago - WR Kendall Wright (Baylor) - The Bears sent head coach Lovie Smith and WR coach Darryl Drake to Baylor's pro day, and they will be meeting with Wright next week. With Johnny Knox's status for 2012 up in the air, Wright would replace his field-stretching speed and open things up for Brandon Marshall underneath.

20. Tennessee - C Peter Konz (Wisconsin) - As long as Konz ankle is sound, he'll be a coveted player in the second half of the first roun.

21. Cincinnati - OG/OT Cordy Glenn (Georgia) - The Bengals might be satisfied with their current depth at offensive guard and offensive tackle, but Glenn's size and versatility makes it hard to pass on him here as a best player available.

22. Cleveland - DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw (Alabama) - I like Upshaw better as an end. He's the kind of high floor player that seems to appeal to the Browns too.

23. Detroit - CB Dre Kirkpatrick (Alabama) - The Lions are in terrific position to get one of the two second-tier blue chip corners.
136484925_crop_340x234 Dont'a Hightower has been heavily connected to the Steelers in the first round for months now.

24. Pittsburgh - LB Dont'a Hightower (Alabama) - Is Hightower worth a first round pick? I'm not sure. Does he fit with the Steelers? Absolutely. Do the Steelers care about whether a player is a reach or value? No.

25. Denver - DT Michael Brockers (LSU) - Brockers will be an excellent referendum on physical potential vs. actual production in college (along with Dontari Poe, although his physical package is rarer). I still see a slide to the twenties as more likely than a top 15 pick for him.

26. Houston - SS Mark Barron (Alabama) - The Texans should go best player available. In this case, that happens to also fill a major need.

27. New England (from New Orleans) - DT Devon Still (Penn State) - Much like Brockers, Still's physical profile can justify a pick in the top 15, but I see him falling to the second half of the first.

28. Green Bay - DE/OLB Nick Perry (USC) - As usual, the Packers sit back and let the draft come to them.

29. Baltimore - OG Kevin Zeitler (Wisconsin) - Ozzie Newsome rarely shanks first-round picks, and Zeitler is highly unlikely to bust. If 2011 third-round pick Jah Reid can win the left guard spot over Zeitler, that's a good problem for the Ravens to have.

30. San Francisco - TE Coby Fleener (Stanford) - After his terrific pro day and the 49ers glaring need for firepower on offense, not to mention his connection to Jim Harbaugh, it's going to be hard to mock anyone else here for the next month.

31. New England - DE/OLB Andre Branch (Clemson) - Branch could end up being the best pass rusher in this class when the dust settles and Mark Anderson is in Buffalo now.

32. New York Giants - RB Doug Martin (Boise State) - A high floor pick who probably represents a net gain for the run game over what Brandon Jacobs provided last year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1120969-2012-nfl-mock-draft-the-first-round-begins-to-come-into-focus

RealSNR
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
How the hell is Poe a "Patriots school of thought" pick?

This guy fucking sucks

BigChiefFan
03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I dig the pick. We need a NT in the worst way and Poe is the blue chipper in the draft. He has upside potential to be a PB NT and one of the best in the league. Too many have fallen into the trap of stats. This kid can play and do what we need him to do as a NT, occupy blockers.

Nightfyre
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I dig the pick. We need a NT in the worst way and Poe is the blue chipper in the draft. He has upside potential to be a PB NT and one of the best in the league. Too many have fallen into the trap of stats. This kid can play and do what we need him to do as a NT, occupy blockers.
When has Poe's tape ever indicated that he can occupy blockers? He gets blown off the line. He is far from a blue chip prospect if you actually watch his tape.

El Jefe
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM

From all of the tape I have seen he hasn't done anything great in regards to occupying blocks. I really don't know what you see in him, but I don't see it at all. I agree that stats aren't everything, but his film sucks IMO.

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
When has Poe's tape ever indicated that he can occupy blockers? He gets blown off the line. He is far from a blue chip prospect if you actually watch his tape.

"Don't look at his stats"

"Uh....don't watch the tape either"

"Jesus - look at those biceps!!"

I don't get this Poe crap, I really don't. I'm not a 'tape' guy, a 'measurables' guy or a 'stats' guy; I think they all play a very very valuable role in determining how good a player can be at the next level.

The problem is that Poe fails miserably in 2 of those 3, and it's the 2 most important ones at that. If someone doesn't show on tape and doesn't show on the scoresheet, you probably shouldn't be taking them at 11 overall, combine performance be damned.

This kid god absolutely prison raped by lousy competition. The stats showed it. The tape showed it. The only place he didn't get dominated was when he wasn't even wearing pads.

He's a horrible pick at 11. He's the kind of guy you take in the 2nd round or, at worst, in the 20s if you don't have any other pressing needs. But to take him at 11 is just insanity, IMO.

El Jefe
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
"Don't look at his stats"

"Uh....don't watch the tape either"

"Jesus - look at those biceps!!"

I don't get this Poe crap, I really don't. I'm not a 'tape' guy, a 'measurables' guy or a 'stats' guy; I think they all play a very very valuable role in determining how good a player can be at the next level.

The problem is that Poe fails miserably in 2 of those 3, and it's the 2 most important ones at that. If someone doesn't show on tape and doesn't show on the scoresheet, you probably shouldn't be taking them at 11 overall, combine performance be damned.

This kid god absolutely prison raped by lousy competition. The stats showed it. The tape showed it. The only place he didn't get dominated was when he wasn't even wearing pads.

He's a horrible pick at 11.

Great post, I agree 100%.:clap:

Frosty
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/scouting-the-draft-memphiss-dontari-poe/

In terms of consistency and current production, though, Poe doesn’t come close to comparing with Ngata. Poe is easy to chop at the line. Despite his athleticism, I didn’t see him get away from one chop block. He takes a lot of wasted steps and doesn’t display particularly good technique. At this point, he’s a raw player who has succeeded because of his athleticism, not because he’s a master technician. He also has poor play recognition, often losing the ball-carrier in traffic.

Poe should have dominated inferior competition at Memphis, but he didn’t. He racked up one sack and 22 tackles in all of 2011, including five games in which he posted just a single tackle. He’s the ultimate boom-or-bust prospect — loaded with potential, but failing to capitalize on it in college.

I wouldn’t draft Poe in the first round. Early draft selections should be reserved for safe players with high floors. Poe’s ceiling is very high, but it comes as the cost of a very low floor. Nonetheless, some team with one of the first 32 selections will probably fall in love with Poe’s athleticism and upside.

I really don't want this guy at #11.

BigChiefFan
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
From all of the tape I have seen he hasn't done anything great in regards to occupying blocks. I really don't know what you see in him, but I don't see it at all. I agree that stats aren't everything, but his film sucks IMO.

What I see is a disruptive 350 pound player that only started 30 games and still ended up with 101 tackles, 21.5 Tackles For Loss, 5 Sacks, and 7 Forced Fumbles. Keep in mind, he's a junior.

Add to that, His God-given talent, that is rare among players of his stature and I think he's alot better prospect that the so-called gurus think. I'll just say I know player personnel better than many may know and leave it at that.

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Only started 30 games?

That's a bunch of games started for a college football player. And if you think an average of 3 tackles/gm and .66 TFL/gm while playing against wildly inferior competition is a selling point, well more power to ya.

If we got those numbers from the #11 overall pick vs. NFL competition I would consider it tolerable, but to get them from a guy that was clearly far more physically imposing than the people he was throwing around just screams bust.

He's the Vernon Gholston if interior lineman. Do not want.

Frosty
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Only started 30 games?

That's a bunch of games started for a college football player. And if you think an average of 3 tackles/gm and .66 TFL/gm while playing against wildly inferior competition is a selling point, well more power to ya.

If we got those numbers from the #11 overall pick vs. NFL competition I would consider it tolerable, but to get them from a guy that was clearly far more physically imposing than the people he was throwing around just screams bust.

He's the Vernon Gholston if interior lineman. Do not want.

Also, he played all along the line, so it's not like he had those stats all at NT.

Buckweath
03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I trust Pioli and Crennel to determine whether Poe is likely to become a dominant dlineman in the NFL. But really, you have to think the guy would be drafted in the top 5, maybe top 3 if he actually had good tape. If ever he is still there at the 11th overall pick, it clearly is because of his average production in college.

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I trust Pioli and Crennel to determine whether Poe is likely to become a dominant dlineman in the NFL. But really, you have to think the guy would be drafted in the top 5, maybe top 3 if he actually had good tape. If ever he is still there at the 11th overall pick, it clearly is because of his average production in college.

Why?

They were dead certain that Jackson was a ready product and could be a difference maker right away. And that Terrance Cody wasn't worth a 3rd rounder.

I'm not convinced that Scott Pioli knows !@#$ about defensive linemen. I damn sure know I'm not going to take it as an article of faith.

Frosty
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM
It probably depends on how much input RAC has. I would think he has a little better insight into what works in his defense.

Buckweath
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Why?

They were dead certain that Jackson was a ready product and could be a difference maker right away. And that Terrance Cody wasn't worth a 3rd rounder.

I'm not convinced that Scott Pioli knows !@#$ about defensive linemen. I damn sure know I'm not going to take it as an article of faith.

Sometimes you get picks right, sometimes you get them wrong but Pioli clearly has been good at drafting over his career. Wasn't he the one who drafted Wilford in NE? And he has done well enough in his last three drafts to be trusted IMO.

And I have never seen Pioli say that he was dead certain that Jackson was ready to be a star from the start. You also have to consider that many prospects who look like they are ready to be difference makers from the start end up taking many years before really making an impact, see Derrick Johnson for example and maybe Hali too. Poe might be one of those players too.

philfree
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Sometimes you get picks right, sometimes you get them wrong but Pioli clearly has been good at drafting over his career. Wasn't he the one who drafted Wilford in NE? And he has done well enough in his last three drafts to be trusted IMO.

And I have never seen Pioli say that he was dead certain that Jackson was ready to be a star from the start. You also have to consider that many prospects who look like they are ready to be difference makers from the start end up taking many years before really making an impact, see Derrick Johnson for example and maybe Hali too. Poe might be one of those players too.

I bet Pioli knows that it takes D linemen a few years to make the transition from college to the NFL. Maybe Pioli picked Jackson with his 1st pick as the Chiefs GM with that in mind? If Jackson continues his growth next year and we have a top 10 D it will suddenly seem like a pretty smart pick.

RealSNR
03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
A good coach can mold raw talent into fantastic players. Romeo is capable of doing that.

What he's not capable of doing is being handed a block of the highest quality granite and sculpting the Statue of David. That's essentially what he would have to do with Poe.

All that athleticism and he was unable to even post reasonable stats against weak competition. His game film shows a wide variety of improper technique, unawareness, and overall just bad bad football skills.

Poe is the Bruce Campbell of defensive linemen this year. And when's the last time you guys heard about Bruce Campbell making a difference with an NFL team?

htismaqe
03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Everybody repeat after me:

Dontari Poe is not a NT.

Dontari Poe is not a NT.

Dontari Poe is not a NT.

Just because he's huge doesn't mean he can take on double-teams and control space. HE CAN'T.

He's a 1-gapper, despite his size.

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/a-closer-look-at-dontari-poe/

Steeler Nation considers him a NT and I'm pretty sure they actually grasp the position... and yes he can and DID occupy more than one blocker. Did anybody even actually watch him play?

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/a-closer-look-at-dontari-poe/

Steeler Nation considers him a NT and I'm pretty sure they actually grasp the position... and yes he can and DID occupy more than one blocker. Did anybody even actually watch him play?

lolwut?

They have about as much knowledge as we do.

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 10:09 AM
NFL.com analyzed Poe's strengths as:

"A serious ability to eat up a DOUBLE-TEAM. Strong lower body so that he can stabilize his position. His athletic ability and quickness FORCE THE USE of a DOUBLE-TEAM and he can wreak havoc around the ball. Poe uses his strong hands to keep defenders at bay and throw them around to create opportunities. He is a consistent defender, who combines size, strength, athletic ability and the understanding of what it takes inside for himself and for those around him to do their job."

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
lolwut?

They have about as much knowledge as we do.

It's just another source that confirms what I'm saying, don't go getting too high and mighty.

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah....he's a consistent defender. He consistently did jack shit against lesser competition.

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah....he's a consistent defender. He consistently did jack shit against lesser competition.What a retort to the scouting report.

ROFL

Quesadilla Joe
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Memphis DT Dontari Poe has "rare size, rare movement skills" and could get looks in the top 10, says Nawrocki. #Chiefs would love him at 11.

https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballWkly/status/185056654251925505

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
It's just another source that confirms what I'm saying, don't go getting too high and mighty.Question: Were you an advocate of the Chiefs drafting Bruce Campbell in 2010?

DJ's left nut
03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Memphis DT Dontari Poe has "rare size, rare movement skills" and could get looks in the top 10, says Nawrocki. #Chiefs would love him at 11.

https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballWkly/status/185056654251925505

Please God, someone bail us out...

That pick will make us long for another Tyson Jackson.

He's a horrible football player. He's an insane athlete and an absolute dogshit football player.

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Please God, someone bail us out...

That pick will make us long for another Tyson Jackson.

He's a horrible football player. He's an insane athlete and an absolute dogshit football player.

Our only hope is the Panthers. They have complete SHIT at DT.

DJ's left nut
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
But if you'll notice, I fixed that for them by taking Brandon Thompson in round 2 for them.

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Look how he's practically upright when he engages blockers. Exceptionally poor form.

And this is the best game footage I could find of him that makes him look favorable. On a few plays he successfully takes on double teams, and there's a noticeable play towards the beginning where he just FLATTENS his blocker to make the tackle on the running back.

Fantastic job against Arkansas fucking State, Poe. I'm sure your shitty game against that beast of a football school Tulane was just bad luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-EUpHwf4LfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whoman69
03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Poe has all the tangibles, some of the intangibles I'm worrying about.

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Question: Were you an advocate of the Chiefs drafting Bruce Campbell in 2010?

No.

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
At 2:54 he gets destroyed and completely taken out of the play.

htismaqe
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
NFL.com analyzed Poe's strengths as:

"A serious ability to eat up a DOUBLE-TEAM. Strong lower body so that he can stabilize his position. His athletic ability and quickness FORCE THE USE of a DOUBLE-TEAM and he can wreak havoc around the ball. Poe uses his strong hands to keep defenders at bay and throw them around to create opportunities. He is a consistent defender, who combines size, strength, athletic ability and the understanding of what it takes inside for himself and for those around him to do their job."

They must be looking at his size instead of his game tape too...

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
No.Was that because you didn't want the Chiefs to use a 1st rounder on an offensive tackle? Or even a 2nd or a 3rd?(since he ended up going to the Raiders in the 4th)

I just fail to see why Poe is a great player for the Chiefs but Campbell isn't. Neither guy had good production in college.

And it's not just a stats game, either. Many of us have taken long looks at this guy's tape. It's not there. He looks nothing like a guy who can make it in the pros. Ta'amu didn't have the stats either, but somehow we project him differently because we see that he does a lot of successful things that two-gapping NTs are supposed to do.

I know the footage is limited, but if you have a clip that really demonstrates Poe's potential, feel free to post it and talk about it a bit. Until then, I don't trust those scouting reports you posted one bit. They may as well have been talking about my grandmother's ability to take on double and triple teams and hold ground. She has never demonstrated that ability on the football field, and neither has Poe (at least consistently)

ChiefMojo
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Poe sucketh of thy penis! Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I've watched enough of Poe as of late to come to the quick conclusion he is raw... a raw chode. I want nothing to do with him at #11. I have him right there with Tannehill of my do not wants in the 1st round.

El Jefe
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Poe sucketh of thy penis! Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I've watched enough of Poe as of late to come to the quick conclusion he is raw... a raw chode. I want nothing to do with him at #11. I have him right there with Tannehill of my do not wants in the 1st round.

Lmao, I hear you brah!

JohnnyV13
03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Look how he's practically upright when he engages blockers. Exceptionally poor form.

And this is the best game footage I could find of him that makes him look favorable. On a few plays he successfully takes on double teams, and there's a noticeable play towards the beginning where he just FLATTENS his blocker to make the tackle on the running back.

Fantastic job against Arkansas ****ing State, Poe. I'm sure your shitty game against that beast of a football school Tulane was just bad luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-EUpHwf4LfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a Tulane alum, yano