PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink BBQ/Smoking n00b help...

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
So we're having a potluck/contest at work for the Final Four.

We had to pick a team and bring a dish that best represents that team. I picked Kansas. Obviously I'm bringing something barbeque related but I need your help.....obviously because I live in California.

What's the best thing to bring? What all do I need to make it?

REP for anyone that helps me out.

Go fuck yourself Sofa King.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
What type of grill do you have for starters?

loochy
03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Something that represents Kansas? Bring some wheat meal loaf.

Stewie
03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Pork butt. It's the easiest and best tasting for a beginner. If you don't have a smoker you can do it in a slow cooker with very good results.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
What type of grill do you have for starters?

ROFL

Nothing.

Seriously though.....I'm looking for a grill.....I just have no clue what type of grill I need to get.

Flame away....

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Is this a one time deal or is this something you want to do again?

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Is this a one time deal or is this something you want to do again?

It's actually something I'd like to keep on doing. I'm not sure it would be on a regular basis but I'm pretty sure you can't be a man and not own a grill.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
How much do you want to spend? Since you are starting from scratch I wouldn't spend a bunch of money yet on a high end model starting.

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
How much do you want to spend? Since you are starting from scratch I wouldn't spend a bunch of money yet on a high end model starting.

Would around $150 get me a decent grill?

Like I said....I'm a complete fucking n00b when it comes to this shit.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Here is a good starter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-American-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker/13056699

It is similar to mine except mine is higher end and all steel.

KCUnited
Weber One Touch Gold 22.5" is your all American backyard charcoal grill. Weber Smokey Mountain is a good beginner smoker. Both are widely available and fairly affordable.

Stewie
I'm pretty sure you don't want to go out and buy a brand new grill/smoker and think you'll have something edible this weekend. There's trial and error figuring out how each individual cooker works.

Dartgod
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Order on line:

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Spend a little more. $150 will get you a grill, but the materials will likely be a bit flimsy. Bump that up to $300 I think.

He has never grilled before I wouldn't spend that much till he knows what he is doing and what he wants out of a grill.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Order on line:

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

I was thinking about that as well.

loochy
He has never grilled before I wouldn't spend that much till he knows what he is doing and what he wants out of a grill.

Meh, I guess so. I just hate flimsy crap.

chiefzilla1501

For a beginner best bet is to buy a gas grill.. Smoke by putting soaked smoking chips in a foil. Pouch and poke holes in it..

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Charcoal or gas?

Dartgod
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
How many people are you feeding?

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I prefer Charcoal.

Stewie
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Charcoal or gas?

True BBQ is charcoal. A gas grill doesn't do BBQ well... too hot.

The Franchise
Pork butt. It's the easiest and best tasting for a beginner. If you don't have a smoker you can do it in a slow cooker with very good results.

I could do this for the contest and get a grill/smoker for later.

Any recommendations for sauces?

Phobia
Just buy you a cheater rig. You can't screw that up.

The Franchise
How many people are you feeding?

12-13.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Meh, I guess so. I just hate flimsy crap.

Us do I but I have several grills before I spent $350 on what I really wanted in a grill.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM

You can also do that ribs that way as well.

tooge
03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Kansas? Hmmm. I'm not sure where you can get some milktoast pussy to grill, but that is what I'd bring for kansas.

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
You can also do that ribs that way as well.

I'll probably do a slow cooker for the competition....that way I'm not rushed on buying a grill.

Ok....so now I'm looking for recipes.

tooge
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Seriously, if you are wanting a grill that will pretty much do it all but is great for the beginner, look no further than the 22" weber kettle. You can pick up the one with the ash pan for about $150 or you can get the plain old kettle for closer to $100. It'll last forever, it can be used to grill or smoke, and it is in your price range. Most others in that range are pieces of crap.

Predarat
03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Here is a good starter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-American-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker/13056699

It is similar to mine except mine is higher end and all steel.

I 2nd that, thats exactly the one I was going to recommend. It can be used as a regular grill too.

tooge
03-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Get a decent sized bone in pork butt.
In a slow cooker, put one can of coke, about two cups of your favorite bbq sauce, and about a tablespoon of liquid smoke. I like about half cup vinegar too if you like it tangy, you might add that. Rub the butt down with a fair amount of dry rub. Any will do for this. Put the butt in the slow cooker and let it cook on medium until you can reach in and pull the bone out with your fingers. Take the butt out, pull the meat, then put it back into all the juicy goodness. It'll be really good, even though you are cheating

tooge
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
regarding the charbroil grill at walmart, the nice thing is you get to buy a new one about every three years.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
This is my grill. Since it is just me and the wife.

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Medina-River-Patio-Small-Charcoal-Smoker-Grill_item_2545011.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_term=2545011&utm_campaign=Charcoal+Grill&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=pricegrabber

mlyonsd
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Internal temp of about 195 if you're doing a pork butt. Sounds crazy but it's true.

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM

We had to pick a team and bring a dish that best represents that team. I picked Kansas. Obviously I'm bringing something barbeque related but I need your help.....obviously because I live in California.

Go **** yourself Sofa King.

Son of a bitch!

I already had the rep message opened and i was reading your post as i was getting ready to type "n00b" into your rep.

You're getting good.

bevischief
http://www.amazingribs.com/

http://crockpotladies.com/ (I have been trying these recipes out since I find this site)

Exoter175
Pork Shoulder + Dry rub + Apple cider/juice every 45 minutes or so on a smoker = ungodly delicious pulled pork sandwiches. Roughly an hour per lb, bring it up to 190ish, shred with two forks. Serve it on a bun or sliced bread with sauce and other condiments (diced/sliced/ring onions, pickles, whatever suits your fancy) on the side and watch everyone go nuts.

You can also do this in a crock pot with a small/medium sized shoulder depending on crock pot size. Set it really low and cook it for 8-12 hours. Do your dry rub like you would with any other cooking method, then toss in some apple cider/juice and a little bit of vinegar, and go to town. Keep an eye on it every few hours for your apple levels, might need to add some, might not. Bone side down of course. When she's about ready to fall apart, bring the temp up so she gets right around 185-190. Pull her out, wrap her in foil for an hour or two, come back and shred.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Slow cooker recipe

Heres what you do:
Take the ribs and remove the membrane/skinny thing off the back.
Cut into 4/5 rib sections to fit pot
Coat with BBQ sauce (dont be shy with it).
Dice or slice an whole onion.
Place a section of ribs in the pot.
Add some onion on top(about 3TBS if diced).
More ribs covered in sauce.
Add onions
Ribs...carry on till you got about 4/5 layers.
Cook on high for 12hrs.

You will see the meat shrink off the end of the bone, a sign thats its tender.

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I recommend...

http://www.saltsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/teeth-flavor-flav-400a071807.jpg

Stewie
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Slow cooker recipe

Heres what you do:
Take the ribs and remove the membrane/skinny thing off the back.
Cut into 4/5 rib sections to fit pot
Coat with BBQ sauce (dont be shy with it).
Dice or slice an whole onion.
Place a section of ribs in the pot.
Add some onion on top(about 3TBS if diced).
More ribs covered in sauce.
Add onions
Ribs...carry on till you got about 4/5 layers.
Cook on high for 12hrs.

You will see the meat shrink off the end of the bone, a sign thats its tender.

This seems too high for too long.

Ming the Merciless
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
You can also do a brisket or chuck roast in a slow cooker, and bring some good ass BBQ sauce and buns....MMMMMMM...I prefer pulled brisket or chuck to pork, but its just me.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
This seems too high for too long.

Depends on the slow cooker. I have one that gets hotter than other one. The other 2 are normal.

the Talking Can
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
instead of buying a grill you'll never use, and trying to make something you've never made (which will suck the first time you do it)

just find a bbq place and buy a couple racks of ribs...

easier, cheaper

Dartgod
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
instead of buying a grill you'll never use, and trying to make something you've never made (which will suck the first time you do it)

just find a bbq place and buy a couple racks of ribs...

easier, cheaper

He's in California.

Which is why I suggested having an order shipped from Jack Stack.

WV
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/9d/9d389647-c2fe-4e91-870e-97f1f265654f_400.jpg
I have one of these and I am a BBQ novice, but have good luck with it.

Exoter175
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
You can also do a brisket or chuck roast in a slow cooker, and bring some good ass BBQ sauce and buns....MMMMMMM...I prefer pulled brisket or chuck to pork, but its just me.

Pulled Brisket is a little harder to maintain right off the bat, and the flavor profile is a bit harder to nail. With anything pork, you just need to give it something sweet to play with, and you'll nail it. I've used anywhere from cherries to applies, pineapples, even lemons and they've all turned out delicious. I find that the tangier/zestier fruits tend to be the hardest to control though. Cherries, Apples, and Pineapples work perfectly with pork.

For Brisket, believe it or not, veggies work really well with the meat. We got really hammered one night and decided we were going to crockpot a slab of brisket with sweet corn, onions, and baby carrots, with just a little bit of lemon juice and vinegar. Turned out so ridiculous we make it once or twice a season on Sundays haha.

Ming the Merciless
03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
For Brisket, believe it or not, veggies work really well with the meat.

Hell yah...I like a ton of mushrooms and onion, and I like to make an au jus for dipping.. (I just like beef better than pork...even though it might be harder)

I also find that shredding it apart, seasoning it to taste, then cooking on low for 3 more hours works great.

Although I know people who remove it, chill it, then slice.

LOCOChief
03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Get a kettle grill (like a Weber)

2 charcoal trays

1 aluminum drip pan

5 lb Boston butt bone in

Directions:
Put your rub on the butt, I marinade in Mojo for 6-8 hrs then rub with a maple bbq rub. There are plenty of bbq seasonings

Fire up two full pans of charcoal, once burning and turning grey separate charcoal pans and place aluminum drip pan full of water between cover and dampen to reduce heat to around 250, throw in a couple hickory chunks.

Place butt over drip pan (indirect heat) cover and almost close top vent completely. Cook about an hour per pound or until meat hits 170 or so turn halfway through. Your charcoal will go 4.5 hours without adding and maintain the desired temp but after the first 2 hours you really should try not to open the grill.

Weber kettle is hard to beat for an all around bbq cooker.

iF ANYONE DOESN'T LIKE THIS THEY CAN KISS MY ASS. Everytime I make my pulled pork I get some from the little women.

Exoter175
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Hell yah...I like a ton of mushrooms and onion, and I like to make an au jus for dipping.. (I just like beef better than pork...even though it might be harder)

I also find that shredding it apart, seasoning it to taste, then cooking on low for 3 more hours works great.

Although I know people who remove it, chill it, then slice.

Yeah, you really want to let it cool down either by itself or by chilling once it comes out of the pot or smoker, before slicing. I'm not a fan of slicing it then cooking it a little longer though, unless I've got a lot of liquids to put it into so it doesn't dry up. I totally forgot about the mushrooms though. Surprising considering we did a Flambé Sunday consisting of Mushrooms, Onions, and Makers Mark which turned out absolutely delicious.

tyton75
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
If you aren't smoking a ton of meat very often.. just get a Weber Charcoal grill, they go for about $110 and you can smoke a pork butt on one easy.

besides, you can use it to make regular grilled food when you dont' feel like smoking. :)

Extra Point
03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Buy a 22.5" Weber kettle grill with the ash pan for $150, along with a $15 Weber chimney, a $10 Weber tinky-winky grill brush, and a $8 Taylor meat thermometer. Get a pair of long handle tongs if you don't already any.

Fill the charcoal chimney 1/2 full with coals, put 2 wads of newspaper up the chimney bottom, pour 2 tbsp olive oil onto the paper, and light the paper after the oil has soaked into the paper. (You can use a propane torch to light the coals from under the chimney for a minute to get started, for that matter.) After 20 mins, pour 1/2 of the chimney contents thru the each cooking grate's hinged side, and pour a couple handfuls of charcoal (8-10 briquets per side) on top of the lit coals-- this is the called the Minion method of indirect charcoal cooking/smoking.

Let the coals warm up, with the bottom opening fully open, and the top vent ~3/4 open. Trim the thick layer of fat off your 5-7 lb. pork shoulder. (I trim most of the fat layer off, as I'm not a big fan of the fat render part of the program-- there's enough marble in that cut to give it flavor.) Sprinkle the rub on the trimmed side that you'll put down onto the cooking grate, and the sides of the shoulder portion. Clean the cooking grate with your brush. Put the pork butt fat trimmed side up onto the cooking grate, and sprinkle rub on it.

Every hour, put a couple handfuls (8-10) of briquets on each coal pile. Flip the pork shoulder, to balance the heat imparted into the meat.

After 3 flip and fills, apply sauce onto top and sides of pork butt. After an hour, flip and fill, and apply sauce onto the top and sides. After an hour, check internal temp, and should be at least 190 deg F. If the meat's not done yet, do another flip, sauce, and fill.

Take PS out of grill, put on a ceramic plate with a layer of aluminum foil large enough to wrap over the PS. Wrap the PS, let stand an hour at room temp, then pull and slice/chop. You're aware that additional cooking and cell tissue break-down happens during that hour or so.

I have found the above method satisfactory, after cooking about 20+ pork shoulders over the last 6-7 years.

If you want to do a marinade overnite prior to smoking your butt, here's a simple method: at 6-7 pm, in a qt bowl, stir 1/4 c. cider vinegar, 1/4 c. soy sauce, and 1/4 c. Worchestershire sauce. Place PS in a two gallon zip-top food storage bag or a non-scented kitchen trash bag. Pour in marinade, push out as much air as you can from in the bag, seal the bag, and swish marinade around PS, then put PS on a plate or rect. baking pan, sufficient to hold the marinade if the bag leaks. Put the bag in fridge. Every hour/when you think to do it, swish and flip the bag three times, to distribute the marinade best it can into the meat.

Day following, say, Saturday, at 8 am, flip the bag. Remove PS from fridge an hour before you light the coals, say, at 10 am. At 3-5 pm, your stuff should be done, and ready for the foil wrap.

Remember, there is no shame in mail-order BBQ.

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Rather than kill people with awful food - why not just go the insanely easy route?

Take 2 or 3 chuck roasts and large crock pot. Put in just a little water (you won't need a ton; the fat will render up and add more liquid) and perhaps a little liquid smoke if you prefer. Put some pre-fab dry rub on there and just simmer the things for several hours, until they start to break apart.

Drop them on a cutting board, cut out the huge fat chunks, shred them with forks, drain the crock pot and put the meat back in the pot. Go find some decent barbecue sauce and dump it in there. I favor Sweet Baby Rays as a 'mainstream' sauce, but I prefer the spicier versions. If you like the sweet stuff, KC Masterpiece is tolerable. Alas, the best stuff is almost always below the radar (I love Head Country out of Ponca City) and you'd have to order it online or something.

Anything more complicated than this and you're very likely to screw it up quite badly. You're not going to just be able to get a smoker assembled and make a good pork butt in 4 days. You can try to do it on a Weber, but if you've never even used a kettle grill before, you're probably not going to be able to control the fire that well. Your fire is probably going to run way too hot on you and you're going to end up with a tough as nails hunk of pork with no real bark to it and no good way to eat it apart from serving fatty slices of mediocre 'loin'. In either event, it's going to be 12 hours of you monitoring your fire pretty well to keep the heat from fluctuating too badly.

Barbecue Beef sandwiches on high quality rolls will do the job and you won't have to make a panic purchase of a grill (though yes, every adult male should have no worse than a Weber One-Touch Gold).

bevischief
03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Rather than kill people with awful food - why not just go the insanely easy route?

Take 2 or 3 chuck roasts and large crock pot. Put in just a little water (you won't need a ton; the fat will render up and add more liquid) and perhaps a little liquid smoke if you prefer. Put some pre-fab dry rub on there and just simmer the things for several hours, until they start to break apart.

Drop them on a cutting board, cut out the huge fat chunks, shred them with forks, drain the crock pot and put the meat back in the pot. Go find some decent barbecue sauce and dump it in there. I favor Sweet Baby Rays as a 'mainstream' sauce, but I prefer the spicier versions. If you like the sweet stuff, KC Masterpiece is tolerable. Alas, the best stuff is almost always below the radar (I love Head Country out of Ponca City) and you'd have to order it online or something.

Anything more complicated than this and you're very likely to screw it up quite badly. You're not going to just be able to get a smoker assembled and make a good pork butt in 4 days. You can try to do it on a Weber, but if you've never even used a kettle grill before, you're probably not going to be able to control the fire that well. Your fire is probably going to run way too hot on you and you're going to end up with a tough as nails hunk of pork with no real bark to it and no good way to eat it apart from serving fatty slices of mediocre 'loin'. In either event, it's going to be 12 hours of you monitoring your fire pretty well to keep the heat from fluctuating too badly.

Barbecue Beef sandwiches on high quality rolls will do the job and you won't have to make a panic purchase of a grill (though yes, every adult male should have no worse than a Weber One-Touch Gold).

This crock pot version is as easy as it gets and is very tasted. I usually mix the bbq sauce types.

WV
03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Or of your really pressed for time break out the pressure cooker. Basically follow the directions for the crock pot except cut the time in half or better.

Valiant
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Do not smoke somrthing if you have never done it before, especially for people that don't know what it should taste like.

For this buy/order some frozen precooked from the big smokers in KC and serve.

Get your grill/smoker and practice.

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Seems nobody has faith in little Pestilence and his (lack of) ability to smoke n00bs.

Stewie
03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Do not smoke somrthing if you have never done it before, especially for people that don't know what it should taste like.

For this buy/order some frozen precooked from the big smokers in KC and serve.

Get your grill/smoker and practice.

Frozen precooked BBQ from the restaurants are not made by the restaurant. They have to outsource, by law, to a third party that is USDA certified. Those third party sources do their best to accommodate, but it's not even close. I know for a fact the Jack's Stack BBQ (that is not bought at the restaurant) is made by Fritz's. Very sterile, very meh.

Extra Point
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Go **** yourself Sofa King.

Screw the Q if your gathering is on Friday. Bring a loaf of bread with sunflower seeds in it.

Otherwise, I'll guarantee you can smoke a butt over the weekend, using the method I described, and it will turn out well. This BS of making shit on the first try is just that.:harumph: I smoked two briskets using this method, on my FIRST go-round. Buy those Weber charcoal rails, to make sure that the coals are indirectly heating the meat.

If you're totally unsure, then use a rectangular foil cake pan with an inch of water in the bottom. Water will regulate the temp in the kettle grill, but this method takes a lot longer, as you're heating the water mass, as well as the meat. Make sure you sweep the ash whenever you flip and recharge the coals.

BBQ in a crock pot is sacrilege.:shake:

SLAG
03-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I picked up one of these about two weeks ago: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=852-7080-E

I've used it just as a grill so far but I want to begin to smoke my own meats and create my own burnt ends..

Thanks for the thread any other suggestions

Stewie
03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Screw the Q if your gathering is on Friday. Bring a loaf of bread with sunflower seeds in it.

Otherwise, I'll guarantee you can smoke a butt over the weekend, using the method I described, and it will turn out well. This BS of making shit on the first try is just that.:harumph: I smoked two briskets using this method, on my FIRST go-round. Buy those Weber charcoal rails, to make sure that the coals are indirectly heating the meat.

If you're totally unsure, then use a rectangular foil cake pan with an inch of water in the bottom. Water will regulate the temp in the kettle grill, but this method takes a lot longer, as you're heating the water mass, as well as the meat. Make sure you sweep the ash whenever you flip and recharge the coals.

BBQ in a crock pot is sacrilege.:shake:

Our BBQ team has done tons of variations on how to get the best BBQ result. A Weber kettle is the worst option for low and slow. WAY too much fuel/air variation. It's starve/flame... flame/starve. The problem is that's there is too much volume in the kettle. Can you make something edible? Yes. Are there better ways? Hell yes.

We participate in a non-sanctioned BBQ contest every year. All things go. You'd be amazed by the great Q from every cooking method. I quit being a BBQ snob then.

jspchief
03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Ribs for 15 people? That's pretty pricey.

You could do a pork butt with cocktail buns for pork sliders for probably 1/4 the cost.

Dartgod
03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I picked up one of these about two weeks ago: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=852-7080-E

I've used it just as a grill so far but I want to begin to smoke my own meats and create my own burnt ends..

Thanks for the thread any other suggestions

I have that one. It works ok, but you might want to make some mods to it.

This guy goes all out, too much here that I don't have the tools for, but I recommend the charcoal grate and putting in a proper temp gauge. I actually put in two gauges, one at each rack level.

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

bevischief
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM

This guy goes all out, too much here that I don't have the tools for, but I recommend the charcoal grate and putting in a proper temp gauge. I actually put in two gauges, one at each rack level.

I have one of those but upgraded to this. Love it perfect size for the the wife and I.
http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Medina-River-Patio-Small-Charcoal-Smoker-Grill_path_13880_item_2545011.html

Dartgod
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I have one of those but upgraded to this. Love it perfect size for the the wife and I.
http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Medina-River-Patio-Small-Charcoal-Smoker-Grill_path_13880_item_2545011.html

I wish I could upgrade, but I have too much money going out right now on home improvements.

Extra Point
03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Our BBQ team has done tons of variations on how to get the best BBQ result. A Weber kettle is the worst option for low and slow. WAY too much fuel/air variation. It's starve/flame... flame/starve. The problem is that's there is too much volume in the kettle. Can you make something edible? Yes. Are there better ways? Hell yes.

We participate in a non-sanctioned BBQ contest every year. All things go. You'd be amazed by the great Q from every cooking method. I quit being a BBQ snob then.

With the lid on and the upper vent throttled, there's no flame in the kettle grill. I've smoked turkeys in a 22.5" Weber kettle grill. If you don't lift the lid between charges, you're good.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Those of you with a Weber have tried this?

http://www.smokenator.com/introduction.htm

Exoter175
03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm inclined to agree and disagree with peoples opinions about first time smoking.

The first time I smoked a brisket and a shoulder, it was very good. I was more worried about temperature of the meat and temperature of my cooking apparatus more than anything. After I got extremely comfortable with timing and my approach to smoking, I started to really open up my mind towards tactics on how to smoke, how to get that perfect amount of penetration in the meat, etc.

Don't be scared to go out and smoke a brisket or a shoulder for the first time, at some point you have to do it, just put in the prep time on researching temps and techniques.

That being said, the OP's one drawback is that this is a potluck presumably at work, so we're talking day old BBQ or at best a few hours old, which is fine. I think for him/her the best approach will be the crockpot option as you can just load up a bag of condiments and unplug the crockpot and take it to work and get back to what you were doing. Easy to clean up, easy to transport.

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah....I'm probably going to roll with the crockpot for this venture.

There are a couple of good recipes so far in the thread.

Anyone else have one for me to consider?

bevischief
03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah....I'm probably going to roll with the crockpot for this venture.

There are a couple of good recipes so far in the thread.

Anyone else have one for me to consider?

My mom used to the crock pot recipe all the time for family gatherings, cook a few days ahead of time the then plug it in the day of. Do you cook and not just grill?

bevischief
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Also might want to add a bottle of hot sauce to the bbq sauce as well. It gives it a little kick, not strong the cooking removes a lot of the kick. I get so much hot sauce every birthday/Christmas it is not funny.

RJ
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
After reading the first page I will I'm sure be echoing the thoughts of others when I say you should but a 22" Weber kettle grill. You can cook damn near anything with them, they're not too pricey and they last for many years.

I also agre about the pork butt. A 5-6 pounder does fine on a kettle grill.

SLAG
03-30-2012, 08:50 PM

I took your advice and Installed two temp gauges

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562454_211515485619161_100002821348720_325722_1748254564_n.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pix

My Wood is soaking in water

My Brisket and ribs have been soaking in Marinade since about 3pm

Tomorrow is the day......

Psyko Tek
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Go fuck yourself Sofa King.

a six of 3.2 beer?

Psyko Tek
03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
It's actually something I'd like to keep on doing. I'm not sure it would be on a regular basis but I'm pretty sure you can't be a man and not own a grill.

if you have to type this sentence....
welll
are you under 25?

nstygma
03-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Frozen precooked BBQ from the restaurants are not made by the restaurant. They have to outsource, by law, to a third party that is USDA certified. Those third party sources do their best to accommodate, but it's not even close. I know for a fact the Jack's Stack BBQ (that is not bought at the restaurant) is made by Fritz's. Very sterile, very meh.
recently i've been eating on this gift pack someone sent me. its actually really good. not as good as eating a fresh plate in the restaurant, but much much better than meh. the bbq chopped beef was excellent

bevischief
03-31-2012, 04:27 AM
So what did you end doing? What grill did you end up buying?

bevischief
03-31-2012, 04:29 AM
recently i've been eating on this gift pack someone sent me. its actually really good. not as good as eating a fresh plate in the restaurant, but much much better than meh. the bbq chopped beef was excellent

I may have to do this with the lack bbq up here...

Bwana
03-31-2012, 07:52 AM
I took your advice and Installed two temp gauges

Sorry for the crappy pix

My Wood is soaking in water

My Brisket and ribs have been soaking in Marinade since about 3pm

Tomorrow is the day......

Gauges are a nice guide, but not always accurate. I picked up one of these 8 weeks ago and have never looked back.
Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

http://kck.com/images/maverick/maverick-et-732/maverick-et-732-thermometer-bbq-all.jpg

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="bucket normal">Product Features

Monitor internal temperature of meat from 300 feet away; wireless receiver with lcd beeps and flashes when meat temperature goes above your programmed temperature.
Monitor barbecue temperature; receiver beeps and flashes if temperature falls above or below your programmed range
Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 farenheit
Count up and Count down timer
Lcd of receiver has back light for use at night

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR class=bucketDivider SIZE=1 noShade><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bucket>Product Details

Product Dimensions: 4.8 x 2.5 x 1 inches ; 14.7 ounces
Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/shipping.html/ref=dp_pd_shipping?ie=UTF8&asin=B004IMA718&seller=ATVPDKIKX0DER))
Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
ASIN: B004IMA718
Item model number: ET-732

Valiant
03-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Well that sucks then.. i know smoking is one of those things that goes with practice..

Sidenote, I have been/am takign bbq/smoking lessons from the KCBS overall champion lastyear as I work with them.. Best pulled pork in my life..

SLAG
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Smokin...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/375127_211756885595021_100002821348720_326344_1571786360_n.jpg

bevischief
03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Gauges are a nice guide, but not always accurate. I picked up one of these 8 weeks ago and have never looked back.
Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

http://kck.com/images/maverick/maverick-et-732/maverick-et-732-thermometer-bbq-all.jpg

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="bucket normal">Product Features

Monitor internal temperature of meat from 300 feet away; wireless receiver with lcd beeps and flashes when meat temperature goes above your programmed temperature.
Monitor barbecue temperature; receiver beeps and flashes if temperature falls above or below your programmed range
Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 farenheit
Count up and Count down timer
Lcd of receiver has back light for use at night

<HR class=bucketDivider SIZE=1 noShade><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bucket>Product Details

Product Dimensions: 4.8 x 2.5 x 1 inches ; 14.7 ounces
Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/shipping.html/ref=dp_pd_shipping?ie=UTF8&asin=B004IMA718&seller=ATVPDKIKX0DER))
Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
ASIN: B004IMA718
Item model number: ET-732

I have wireless one and for Christmas I got ones that respond according to meat type like pork, beef...etc haven't tried them out yet...

evolve27
03-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Smokin...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/375127_211756885595021_100002821348720_326344_1571786360_n.jpg

Nice back yard

solidgold
03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
If you don't have a grill, get the Weber 22.5" - as others have stated it is pretty much a staple and can be quite versatile. If, or when you upgrade to a smoker, the Weber can be used for sides or grilling while the true magic happens elsewhere.

Charcoal. (Sorry Hank Hill)

SLAG
03-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Ribs:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528072_211964002240976_100002821348720_326936_1929071821_n.jpg

Brisket:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/557972_212017665568943_100002821348720_327027_2121262873_n.jpg

I chopped up the point, put them in a pan,with the marinade and the rub and then returned them to the smoker - they'be been in there about an hour

i'll post a pic later

I do have to say I appreciate the smoking process even more than I ever have - It takes a lot of work, and patience.. These are good things

I will have to keep it up...

buddha
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
BBQ beans with burnt ends, or chopped up tri tip is always a crowd pleaser.

SLAG
03-31-2012, 11:34 PM
My first burnt ends:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550152_212059672231409_100002821348720_327106_336411511_n.jpg

GoTrav
04-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Weber One Touch Gold 22.5" is your all American backyard charcoal grill. Weber Smokey Mountain is a good beginner smoker. Both are widely available and fairly affordable.

Agree. There's a great forum for the Smokey Mountain to lean on http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/