PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel's take on a nose tackle and the chiefs.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Asked specifically about nose tackle, where last season’s starter, Kelly Gregg, is an unrestricted free agent, Crennel said, “We’ve talked to some people there, but we’ve told them we’re going to wait until after the draft and see what else might develop. So we have possibilities there.”

Gregg is 35, but he played in all 16 games for the Chiefs last year, starting 14. Crennel said the Chiefs might attempt to re-sign Gregg after the draft.

“I thought he did a good job for us,” Crennel said. “He used up the blockers so that the linebackers were free to make plays. If you talk to any of those linebackers, particularly the inside linebackers, they’ll tell you that they enjoyed having him in front of them. He allowed both of those guys to make plays.

“I’m not ruling Kelly out. I think he would like to come back and play. I think he likes the situation. He understands how we coach. He knows what defense we’re going to run. I think if he has the opportunity he would not be opposed to coming back.”

Otherwise, the Chiefs at nose tackle have veteran Amon Gordon and Jerrell Powe, a rookie last season. Gordon played in 16 games for the Chiefs last season, starting twice. But the Chiefs value him more for his versatility than his ability to handle the nose on an every-down basis.

“He came in last year and did an admirable job for us,’’ Crennel said. “He produced and made some plays at times. I know he can go into the game and do it.’’

The 330-pound Powe, a sixth-round draft choice last year, played in just one game as a rookie. But he could figure in the Chiefs’ plans this year.

“He’s a big, physical body,’’ Crennel said. “He had last year to learn what it takes to play in this league. The thing about him is that he didn’t really have an off-season last year (because of the lockout). By him being able to have an off-season this year, he’s going to get so much better. We’ll be able to work with him on his techniques and talk to him about how to play the game. I think we’ll see an improvement in his play

http://www.kansascity.com/2012...into-draft.html

Bugeater
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
“We’ve talked to some people there, but we’ve told them we’re going to wait until after the draft and see what else might develop. So we have possibilities there.”
Translated: We're going to ignore the position for yet another season.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Translated: We're going to ignore the position for yet another season.

Sounds to me like they'd prefer a younger player to a stop-gap.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
"We might try to re-sign Kelly after the draft."

If we don't get Poe.

yee-haw! Can't wait for the "abortion of a draft" threads.

CaliforniaChief
03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Sounds to me like they want to draft one early. Poe or Ta'amu.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM

This

Direckshun
03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Josh Chapman is the perfect fit and is an SEC nose tackle.

Alameda Ta'amu is a team captain, 346 lbs, not versatile and not athletic, strong as a bull -- perfect NT materials in this defense.

I would say there's a very good chance we draft either one in rounds 2 or 3.

BossChief
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Id rather they bring Gregg back than draft Poe in the first round.

BossChief
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Josh Chapman is the perfect fit and is an SEC nose tackle.

Alameda Ta'amu is a team captain, 346 lbs, not versatile and not athletic, strong as a bull -- perfect NT materials in this defense.

I would say there's a very good chance we draft either one in rounds 2 or 3.

I would love to draft Chapman in the third, but I think we can get him in the 4th.

He likely needs surgery.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I would love to draft Chapman in the third, but I think we can get him in the 4th.

He likely needs surgery.

A fourth round prospect who needs surgery?

Sounds like a terrible solution to one of our most pressing personnel issues.

Not being a smartass - please enlighten me why this guy would be good for us?

Titty Meat
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Poe will be a bust.

Direckshun
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
A fourth round prospect who needs surgery?

Sounds like a terrible solution to one of our most pressing personnel issues.

Not being a smartass - please enlighten me why this guy would be good for us?

He is incredibly stout at the point of attack, has great punch off the line, stuffs the run brilliantly and is a true technician at the position.

He also comes from an Alabama squad that Pioli loves, and has experience at nose tackle.

He's also got limitless toughness. He played through injury all last year.

bevischief
03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

This.

htismaqe
03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I hope they stay the hell away from Poe.

The Franchise
03-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I hope they draft Ta'amu.

whoman69
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Poe will be a bust.

Better start polishing his HOF bust if Bo's Pelini makes this statement.

BryanBusby
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

He likely needs surgery.

He already had it.

Epic Fail 007
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Rather have Ta`amu than the lazy hot pile of shit Poe.

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Poe will be a bust.

I hope they stay the hell away from Poe.

I hope they draft Ta'amu.

These

CaliforniaChief
03-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm totally in favor of Ta'amu in the 2nd.

Titty Meat
03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm totally in favor of Ta'amu in the 2nd.

This

J Diddy
03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I love how some people wanted Powe in the 2nd last year and now that we have him, nobody even considers him now.

Guy didn't play last year, I'd like to see what he can do.

Brock
03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
I love how some people wanted Powe in the 2nd last year and now that we have him, nobody even considers him now.

If only he'd been drafted 3 rounds earlier.

edit: I see you already made that point.

booger
03-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Powe was making some plays in the preseason. Seemed like at least 1 tackle for a loss in each game. He read a screen play and showed good recognition on that and other plays.

Rausch
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM

He was considered a low 2nd/high 3rd guy.

I remember fucking screaming each round as we drafted someone else and he slipped.

When we got him in the 6th I may have JIMP just a bit...

J Diddy
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
He was considered a low 2nd/high 3rd guy.

I remember ****ing screaming each round as we drafted someone else and he slipped.

When we got him in the 6th I may have JIMP just a bit...

I'm with you there.

Hopefully he lines up and knocks some centers around like their first name is Casey.

Simplicity
03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Ta'amu sounds cool so.... Draft duh ****er.

Paperboy405
03-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Nick Jean-Baptiste..

philfree
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Sign Kelly Gregg for one more year and coach the heck out of Powe.

O.city
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I like Ta'amu alot.

However, Chapman played the position for four years at Alabama in a very similar defense that the Chiefs run.

I, like Pioli, really like the idea of grabbing an Alabama defensive player.

Coogs
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Here is the whole article...

Crennel: Chiefs head into draft without holes

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The ideal scenario for any team is to head into the NFL Draft with a roster devoid of obvious holes.

Coach Romeo Crennel said that’s exactly where the Chiefs are after signing five veterans in free agency.

“We’ve done a nice job of addressing some needs through free agency,” Crennel said from Palm Beach, Fla., site of the NFL’s annual meetings. “We’ve put ourselves in position, with the needs we filled, that when we go into the draft, we can look at the best athlete available and the guy we think can help our team the most.

“We won’t have to draft for need. That gives us many more options.”

The Chiefs’ biggest need heading into the offseason was at right tackle, but they attacked that by signing free agent Eric Winston. They also signed a cornerback (Stanford Routt) to replace the departed Brandon Carr, a running back (Peyton Hillis) to help share the load with Jamaal Charles, a tight end (Kevin Boss) who gives the Chiefs some much-needed depth, and a backup quarterback (Brady Quinn) with starting experience in the NFL.

To Crennel, that leaves the Chiefs with no area in which they couldn’t line up and play a game today, if necessary.

“We have guys at most of the positions that are competitive and will be competitive,” Crennel said. “You can never have enough speed on your team, enough pass rushers on your team. We’re always looking for corners, we’re always looking for pass rushers, we’re always looking for speed receivers. If you can pick up some help in any of those areas, you’ve helped your team.”

Asked specifically about nose tackle, where last season’s starter, Kelly Gregg, is an unrestricted free agent, Crennel said, “We’ve talked to some people there, but we’ve told them we’re going to wait until after the draft and see what else might develop. So we have possibilities there.”

Gregg is 35, but he played in all 16 games for the Chiefs last year, starting 14. Crennel said the Chiefs might attempt to re-sign Gregg after the draft.

“I thought he did a good job for us,” Crennel said. “He used up the blockers so that the linebackers were free to make plays. If you talk to any of those linebackers, particularly the inside linebackers, they’ll tell you that they enjoyed having him in front of them. He allowed both of those guys to make plays.

“I’m not ruling Kelly out. I think he would like to come back and play. I think he likes the situation. He understands how we coach. He knows what defense we’re going to run. I think if he has the opportunity he would not be opposed to coming back.”

Otherwise, the Chiefs at nose tackle have veteran Amon Gordon and Jerrell Powe, a rookie last season. Gordon played in 16 games for the Chiefs last season, starting twice. But the Chiefs value him more for his versatility than his ability to handle the nose on an every-down basis.

“He came in last year and did an admirable job for us,’’ Crennel said. “He produced and made some plays at times. I know he can go into the game and do it.’’

The 330-pound Powe, a sixth-round draft choice last year, played in just one game as a rookie. But he could figure in the Chiefs’ plans this year.

“He’s a big, physical body,’’ Crennel said. “He had last year to learn what it takes to play in this league. The thing about him is that he didn’t really have an off-season last year (because of the lockout). By him being able to have an off-season this year, he’s going to get so much better. We’ll be able to work with him on his techniques and talk to him about how to play the game. I think we’ll see an improvement in his play.’’

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/27/3517941/crennel-chiefs-head-into-draft.html#storylink=cpy

milkman
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM

I thought Powe was, far and away, the best rookie in the preseason last year, and don't fully inderstand why he was so limited by the staff in the regular season.

I still have high hopes that he will become the anchor we need at the nose.

But we also need better quality players at that position to rotate with him.

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/00710100215813_Washington_at_USC.jpg

BigChiefFan
03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Here is the whole article...

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The ideal scenario for any team is to head into the NFL Draft with a roster devoid of obvious holes.

Coach Romeo Crennel said that’s exactly where the Chiefs are after signing five veterans in free agency.

“We’ve done a nice job of addressing some needs through free agency,” Crennel said from Palm Beach, Fla., site of the NFL’s annual meetings. “We’ve put ourselves in position, with the needs we filled, that when we go into the draft, we can look at the best athlete available and the guy we think can help our team the most.

“We won’t have to draft for need. That gives us many more options.”

The Chiefs’ biggest need heading into the offseason was at right tackle, but they attacked that by signing free agent Eric Winston. They also signed a cornerback (Stanford Routt) to replace the departed Brandon Carr, a running back (Peyton Hillis) to help share the load with Jamaal Charles, a tight end (Kevin Boss) who gives the Chiefs some much-needed depth, and a backup quarterback (Brady Quinn) with starting experience in the NFL.

To Crennel, that leaves the Chiefs with no area in which they couldn’t line up and play a game today, if necessary.

“We have guys at most of the positions that are competitive and will be competitive,” Crennel said. “You can never have enough speed on your team, enough pass rushers on your team. We’re always looking for corners, we’re always looking for pass rushers, we’re always looking for speed receivers. If you can pick up some help in any of those areas, you’ve helped your team.”

“He’s a big, physical body,’’ Crennel said. “He had last year to learn what it takes to play in this league. The thing about him is that he didn’t really have an off-season last year (because of the lockout). By him being able to have an off-season this year, he’s going to get so much better. We’ll be able to work with him on his techniques and talk to him about how to play the game. I think we’ll see an improvement in his play.’’

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/27/3517941/crennel-chiefs-head-into-draft.html#storylink=cpyI like what I'm reading in this article.

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 10:19 AM

By ADAM TEICHERIsn't there one position you miiiiiiiiiiiight be forgetting about, Adam? It's pretty fucking important. It starts with a Q and rhymes with "porterback"

Coogs
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I thought Powe was, far and away, the best rookie in the preseason last year, and don't fully inderstand why he was so limited by the staff in the regular season.

I still have high hopes that he will become the anchor we need at the nose.

But we also need better quality players at that position to rotate with him.

I have seen Crennel use this in describing why both Powe and Stanzi did not play last season. Hopefully Crennel is a man of his word, and those two will receive massive amounts of attention from our coaching staff this offseason.

saphojunkie
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
So, we signed one defensive player this offseason, and four offensive players?

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the focus is defense.

I'm thinking

1st: Courtney Upshaw
2nd:Ta'amu,
3rd: McNutt

HemiEd
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Romeo at least makes it interesting when he tells you nothing.

milkman
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Romeo at least makes it interesting when he tells you nothing.

Actually, of you read between the lines, he tells you something really important.

It seems clear that the Chiefs are targeting a NT in this draft.

I'm not sure that's going to be Poe, because in all likelyhood, he'll be there when the Chiefs draft at #11.

It appears, at least to me, they will be targeting a second or third round guy, and if they don't get the guy(s) they are targeting they'll look to sign someone after the draft.

ModSocks
03-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Poe doesn't sound like a Pioli pick at all. Pioli is a tape watcher. He's not someone who'll over react to combine numbers.

I still think the pick, if not a trade down, will be Kuechly or DeCastro.

Coogs
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Actually, of you read between the lines, he tells you something really important.

I'm not sure that's going to be Poe, because in all likelyhood, he'll be there when the Chiefs draft at #11.

It appears, at least to me, they will be targeting a second or third round guy, and if they don't get the guy(s) they are targeting they'll look to sign someone after the draft.

I got that too. I also thought the part I bolded about Pass Rusher, Corner, and Speed WR was hinting at something as well.

milkman
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Poe doesn't sound like a Pioli pick at all. Pioli is a tape watcher. He's not someone who'll over react to combine numbers.

Just say no to Kuechly and DeCastro.

KCDC
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree he is telling us that NT is not a first round target, but is a target. The way Pioli is, he insists on misinformation -- to pretend he is not interested in someone (like taking a Safety early). This could mean that they are targeting a QB (because they consciously avoid mentioning the position) and a NT (since it took a Teicher question to get a response).

milkman
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I got that too. I also thought the part I bolded about Pass Rusher, Corner, and Speed WR was hinting at something as well.

I got that too.

Since there probably won't be a WR there, and they probably won't look past Kirkpatrick's character issues, they may be targeting another pass rusher at #11.

Coogs
03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I got that too.

Since there probably won't be a WR there, and they probably won't look past Kirkpatrick's character issues, they may be targeting another pass rusher at #11.

Yep!

HemiEd
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM

Your "between the line" reader is coming up different than mine, but you might be right.

The way I read it, all options are open, and they will look at all of them.

Free agents returning, developing existing talent, and drafting new talent.

Furthermore, one thing I have learned on this place, this close to the draft, any information is usually bull shit.

milkman
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree he is telling us that NT is not a first round target, but is a target. The way Pioli is, he insists on misinformation -- to pretend he is not interested in someone (like taking a Safety early). This could mean that they are targeting a QB (because they consciously avoid mentioning the position) and a NT (since it took a Teicher question to get a response).

Pioli is secretive, but the "doesn't like taking a safety early" was something that Thomas Dimitroff said to Peter King about Scott Pioli.

Crennel, though, isn't as closed as Pioli or Haley.

HemiEd
03-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I got that too.

Hope so

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I got that too.

Kirkpatrick's character issues? I didn't know he had any. Are you talking about Jenkins?

milkman
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Kirkpatrick's character issues? I didn't know he had any. Are you talking about Jenkins?

He was arrested earlier this year for weed.

Titty Meat
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM

Tannehill plz

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
He was arrested earlier this year for weed.I hope we draft him. Justin Houston seems kind of lonely when he has to leave team facilities for a few hours every day all by himself so he can give his grandmother her pills. Maybe Kirkpatrick could come along with him to keep him company.

Coogs
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
#11 Pass Rushers 3-4 Style

Melvin Ingram South Carolina
Courtney Upshaw Alabama
Nick Perry USC
Whitney Mercilus Illinois

whoman69
03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Just say no to Kuechly and DeCastro.

You've said no to everyone from what I've seen.

beach tribe
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
This somehow gives me the impression that RAC thinks Powe was way too raw last year, but has the chance to be the guy. That would be sweet.

DTLB58
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Pioli is secretive, but the "doesn't like taking a safety early" was something that Thomas Dimitroff said to Peter King about Scott Pioli.

Crennel, though, isn't as closed as Pioli or Haley.

That's what I thought when I first read it on the Star site.
Wow, isn't that a tad much info to say before the draft? For what we have be accustom to.

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
We would give ourselves a good problem if we can take Ta'amu in the 2nd to add to the rotation of Gordon, and Powe. Nose would be set for a while.

I'm also not opposed to Chapman of Bama. Basically if we don't take either Ta'amu or Chapman we might as well not even take a NT. Those two are as prototype as you get.

milkman
03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
You've said no to everyone from what I've seen.

I'd say yes to Kirpatrick, Ingram, or Mark Barron.

philfree
03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
He was arrested earlier this year for weed.

I think he might have been absolved from that. If that's possible anyways. They never let me off the hook!

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM

I haven't paid attention.

You're not a fan of taking a pass rusher such as Perry or a guy like Upshaw who would be a prototype Strong side OLB? And I'm not forgetting Houston. It would give us a great problem. 3rd downs would be scary for opposing offenses.

Setsuna
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Poe is projected to go to the Panthers anyways, stop whining like little bitches about him.

htismaqe
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM

I like the way you think.

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Poe is projected to go to the Panthers anyways, stop whining like little bitches about him.

:rolleyes: Yeah his projection guarantees he goes to that team.

Urc Burry
03-28-2012, 04:02 PM

You're not a fan of taking a pass rusher such as Perry or a guy like Upshaw who would be a prototype Strong side OLB? And I'm not forgetting Houston. It would give us a great problem. 3rd downs would be scary for opposing offenses.

It's Melvin Ingram. The top pass rusher in this class. Projected a lot to go to the jags, but they could go receiver. He is an absolute beast against the run or pass, and could play just about anywhere in the front 7 on passing downs.

Urc Burry
03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Check him out against Auburn
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F5dkwPHQJXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
It's Melvin Ingram. The top pass rusher in this class. Projected a lot to go to the jags, but they could go receiver. He is an absolute beast against the run or pass, and could play just about anywhere in the front 7 on passing downs.

Yeah I like Ingram too. It's difficult to see him falling to the Chiefs. I love his versatility.

IDK. I just don't see him as a realistic option for the Chiefs. But hey, things could fall a certain way and he could be there.

Titty Meat
03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Poe sucks Brockers is better and we should go for Tannehill.

milkman
03-28-2012, 04:08 PM

I'd be good with Upshaw.

I think Ingram has a little more versatility than either Upshaw and Perry, so I threw his name out there because versatility appeals to Pioli.

But, I'm good with pass rushers, and I think either Upshaw and Ingram provide that.

Perry......meh.

I don't see him succeeding at the same level.

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Poe sucks Brockers is better and we should go for Tannehill.

What do you like about Tannehill besides that he's a QB which is a need.

RealSNR
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Poe is projected to go to the Panthers anyways, stop whining like little bitches about him.We'll stop ripping on him when mock drafts quit fucking projecting him to us.

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd be good with Upshaw.

I think Ingram has a little more versatility than either Upshaw and Perry, so I threw his name out there because versatility appeals to Pioli.

But, I'm good with pass rushers, and I think either Upshaw and Ingram provide that.

Perry......meh.

I don't see him succeeding at the same level.

I see.

I'd love to have either Ingram or Upshaw specifically. I feel like Upshaw can play inside in a 3-4 also.

I know Ingram has lined up at DE in a 3 point stance, as a Nose, as a stand up OLB, as a MLB, as a Nickel, and as a 3-tech. He's all over the field.

Honestly, this is the first draft in a while where I'd be ok with about 7 or 8 different scenarios. I'd be ok with trading down. I'd be ok with Barron, Decastro, Perry, Ingram, Upshaw, even Tannehill, and I don't really like Tannehill. There's only a couple guys I am completely against. Poe being one of them.

Titty Meat
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
What do you like about Tannehill besides that he's a QB which is a need.

He has a decent arm, good size, and good pocket presence.

I've watched him play a handful of games the first was against Nebraska which was like his 4th or 5th start going up against a secondary that had 5 NFL players and I think he played pretty well. I watched him again against LSU in the bowl game which is a very good defense and he did throw a couple of picks for the most part I think he played pretty well. I think the game that sold me on him was against Baylor he threw 6 touchdowns and just looked like an NFL QB. He's a bit of project as far as footwork goes but I think if that's corrected he could be a damn good QB. I'd rather gamble on a QB than a boom or bust nose tackle.

Okie_Apparition
03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't know if he'll work well as the HC
but Crennel sure rounds off the sharp PR edges of this franchise

BoneKrusher
03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Poe will be a bust.

yep

ModSocks
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
He has a decent arm, good size, and good pocket presence.

I've watched him play a handful of games the first was against Nebraska which was like his 4th or 5th start going up against a secondary that had 5 NFL players and I think he played pretty well. I watched him again against LSU in the bowl game which is a very good defense and he did throw a couple of picks for the most part I think he played pretty well. I think the game that sold me on him was against Baylor he threw 6 touchdowns and just looked like an NFL QB. He's a bit of project as far as footwork goes but I think if that's corrected he could be a damn good QB. I'd rather gamble on a QB than a boom or bust nose tackle.

The thing I like most about Tannehill is that he throws in the face of pressure and stands tall in the pocket. He's like the polar opposite of Gabbert.

Titty Meat
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
The thing I like most about Tannehill is that he throws in the face of pressure and stands tall in the pocket. He's like the polar opposite of Gabbert.

He's also not a statue. A guy with a quick release always has a chance to be successful.

Dave Lane
03-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Tannehill plz

Yuck.

ChiefMojo
03-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm in the camp of drafting Alameda Ta'amu in the 2nd round at #44. I want nothing to do with Poe at #11.

Ta'amu is the type of NT we need. Someone very strong at the point of attack, that holds very well with the double team and keeps the OL off the LB's.

KCrockaholic
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm in the camp of drafting Alameda Ta'amu in the 2nd round at #44. I want nothing to do with Poe at #11.

Ta'amu is the type of NT we need. Someone very strong at the point of attack, that holds very well with the double team and keeps the OL off the LB's.

Ta'amu is pure football. He loves the game and doesn't have motor issues like Poe. We gotta find a way to take either Ta'amu or at last resort Chapman.

beach tribe
03-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Can someone tell me how this douche is in the green?

(not on the Poe wagon BTW)

Chris Meck
03-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I could really see Ta Amu happening. Team captain should mean no motivation issues.

sounds like a Pioli guy.

BryanBusby
03-29-2012, 03:40 AM

I'd rather take my chances with selecting more of a play maker and gambling that he falls into the 3rd round. If he doesn't, oh well, there will be other big bodies that can stuff the run available.

Coogs
03-29-2012, 07:35 AM
at last resort Chapman.

I have posted this before, and I think it is worth reposting. This is from an interview with Courtney Upshaw from NFLDraftCountdown...

Scott Wright: The Crimson Tide obviously had a ton of talent. If you could choose just one former teammate to build an NFL team around, who would you pick and why?

Courtney Upshaw: Josh Chapman. He's a guy nobody talks about much, but without him inside plugging gaps for the inside backers like Dont'a and Nico and all those guys... We really wanted to be the #1 run stopping defense this year and that guy is just phenomenal. He doesn't ask for all the praise so if I could take anybody it would be him.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Courtney-Upshaw/Courtney-Upshaw.php

Easy 6
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Might sound like a copout, but i'm going to pretty much kick back & not worry about this position, or the defense in general, this year.

Based on what he's accomplished so far, i have every faith that Romeo will make the right calls, get what he feels he needs to build that side of the ball & blend them in perfectly.

Yep, the defense will be fine, its only going to get better & deeper this year... its Cassel, Daboll & the offense that has me biting my nails.

whoman69
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd rather take my chances with selecting more of a play maker and gambling that he falls into the 3rd round. If he doesn't, oh well, there will be other big bodies that can stuff the run available.

You do know this team hasn't had a decent tackle since the 90s, right? I have to laugh at the people that think you can just pass on talent because you can eventually get someone in there. They want to trade Bowe who is the most talented WR we have had since Otis Taylor. NT is the lynchpin of a 3-4 defense and we have never had one. We're a good defense. We could be on par with the Ravens and Steelers with a viable NT.

O.city
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I may be mistaken, but neither the Steelers or Ravens have an elite NT.

They have guys that are great at what they do, but they aren't really elite playmakers. It's not an elite playmaking spot.

Hampton was/ is great for the Steelers. Ngata isn't really a NT. He plays all over the line. Same with Wilfork.