PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Could there be any more of a Non-Event than MLB Opening Day?

Deberg_1990
03-29-2012, 06:15 AM
A's and Mariners in Japan! WooHoo!!!

The game began at 6:09 a.m. EDT and was televised live only to the Seattle and Oakland markets. The MLB Network showed it on tape delay at 9 a.m.—the game already was in extra innings when the nationwide telecast carried the first pitch.

“I got here at 5:15 in the morning and went in to turn on the game and couldn’t find it anywhere,” Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalez complained in Kissimmee, Fla., where the Braves hosted the New York Yankees in an exhibition.

“I tried everything, MLB, ESPN, and I still don’t know who won. I got here early to check it,” he said.

In Tampa, Fla., Yankees manager Joe Girardi kept switching channels and seemed a bit frustrated he couldn’t find the game on his clubhouse office TV. Hours later in Peoria, Ariz., San Diego manager Bud Black and some of the Padres tuned in before their spring training game.

Asked whether he watched, Houston Astros closer Brett Myers turned sarcastic.

“Was there a game on?” he said.

Later in the day, the MLB Network changed its programming schedule for Thursday’s wrapup of the two-game series between the Mariners and A’s. A live telecast was added at 5 a.m. EDT to go with the previously planned replays, network spokeswoman Lorraine Fisher said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnCowVHplmez3a2YgcwpaQERvLYF?slug=ap-mariners-athletics

DMAC
03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm not even counting that as opening day.

The real opening day is awesome.

jspchief
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
So fail.

Bwana
03-29-2012, 07:37 AM
The WNBA? :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
I was pissed. I got up early as fuck to watch that game assuming ESPN would definitely show it. Nope. I got updates during the Mike and Mike radio show that they decided to put on TV instead. :facepalm:

Predarat
03-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Maybe Mens Vollyball?

HemiEd
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Sign of the times. Like August new car introductions, it used to be a big deal.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Try going to real opening day in a real baseball city :)

Marco Polo
03-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Opening day in St. Louis is one of the most important days of the year in that city. It will be even better this year since they won the World Series last year.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Opening day in St. Louis is one of the most important days of the year in that city. It will be even better this year since they won the World Series last year.

ROFL Against the Cubs too. They get to watch thier rival raise yet another championship "banner".

Hoover
03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
MLB is stupid.

The should open the season with a Sunday Night baseball game, then everyone goes on Monday. It would be awesome

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
MLB opening day is the best day of the year probably to me. This Tokyo thing with the A's and Mariners is really ho-hum though. No one but A's and Mariners fans care anyway. Opening day is mostly the day YOUR favorite team plays their first game.

Deberg_1990
03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
MLB is stupid.

The should open the season with a Sunday Night baseball game, then everyone goes on Monday. It would be awesome

Agreed. This is what they did for a few years anyways. The Traditional Opening Day game used to be Cincinatti for a long time.

Dont really get the thought process behind this "soft Opening" at all?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Playing the "league opener" in Japan is dumb, but that shit isn't true opening day.

Valiant
03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Did anyone mention the chiefs chances in playoff games?

58-4ever
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure he was being sarcastic.

qabbaan
03-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Opening day used to be great. Over time it became a holiday for ultra casual people who won't attend any other games all year, which is fine. Then, like the NFL, the teams started seeing that the could monetize this spring fever even more, and prices started getting jacked up... Here they don't even sell opening day tickets to the general public anymore. Kind of sad that a family in the economic strata where I grew up cant afford to give their kids an opening day experience, but that is life I suppose - they can't afford an NFL game either any longer.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I think it's awesome that the Royals are opening on Friday night this year, so people with jobs can actually watch it live for once.

mr. tegu
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm not even counting that as opening day.

The real opening day is awesome.

I completely agree on both accounts. That game was not shown here live, and it had teams no one cares much about.

mr. tegu
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I think it's awesome that the Royals are opening on Friday night this year, so people with jobs can actually watch it live for once.

Well its at 3:10 but yeah it is a better time. Much better than a Tuesday at 1 pm or something like that. I am sure many people will be taking off early since its a Friday to either go to the game or watch it on TV. Go Royals!

L.A. Chieffan
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I love opening day in baseball. really nothing like it in any other sport.

Frand Deford can explain it much better than I can:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1093525/index.htm

Mama Hip Rockets
03-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Well its at 3:10 but yeah it is a better time. Much better than a Tuesday at 1 pm or something like that. I am sure many people will be taking off early since its a Friday to either go to the game or watch it on TV. Go Royals!

I'm talking about the season opener, not the home opener. They are playing at Anaheim next Friday night at 9pm.

Titty Meat
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM

That's not saying much that city is a shit hole.

acesn8s
03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
All-star games

scho63
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I can't believe how baseball doesn't even count as a sport for me anymore. I never watch on TV and go to 2 games a year because friends visit and I go with them to a game.

:loser:

SnakeXJones
03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
no one isnt gonna watch that game

Saul Good
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM

No way. Home openers should be day games during the week. Some of the best memories of my childhood were being called to the principal's office only to find my dad waiting there for me and pulling me out of school to take me to opening day. I can't wait until I can do that with my son.