PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Joe Posnanski is Leaving Sports Illustrated

Mr_Tomahawk
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Joe Posnanski is Leaving Sports Illustrated

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/03/30/joe-posnanski-is-leaving-sports-illustrated/

Less than three years after joining the staff at Sports Illustrated, Joe Posnanski is leaving. Posnanski has told the magazine he’s moving on, and his next stop is the USA Today/MLB Advanced Media joint venture that was announced last month.*

“Yea, that’s right,” Posnanski said in a brief phone call. “I’m leaving [SI] with mixed emotions.”

Posnanski said he’ll work the Masters this weekend for Sports Illustrated, but his departure date is still being worked out. He said it’s unclear what his exact role in the USA Today Sports Media Group will be.

Obviously, this is a big loss for Sports Illustrated, which lost its baseball “news” guy Jon Heyman to CBS Sports in December.

Previously: Joe Posnanski Has Left the Kansas City Star for Sports Illustrated*
Previously: Joe Posnanski Thinks that Joe Paterno is Being Made a Scapegoat. Did You Know Posnanski Was Writing a Book on Paterno?

* Yes, this site and Big Lead Sports were purchased by USA Today in January. Nobody in the USA Today Sports Media Group tipped us off to Posnanski.

Hammock Parties
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Joe is going to go to another planet and cover alien sports. He's done here.

gblowfish
03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe he'll move to LA and shack up with Fatlock.

Canofbier
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
His body just wasn't up to swimsuit issue standards anymore. Shame.

qabbaan
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
That JoePa glorification book didn't end up working out...?

Kidding. Just so long as he is writing somewhere I can read it, good luck to him.

Slainte
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Great writer. Wish him well in his latest venture.

Extra Point
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe next season, Poz can replace LeFebvre. He gives a pretty good impromptu speech, and would make for a better announcer than the one I can't stand hearing the-crackle-of-paint-drying.

FloridaMan88
03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Posnanski's career is forever disgraced by the Penn State sex abuse scandal.

Posnanski was in Happy Valley for close to a year before the sex abuse scandal broke and apparently never had any clue about what was going on (despite spending the entire year doing extensive research on Joe Paterno and the Penn State football program for his book).

Then after the scandal broke Posnanski directed his sympathy towards Joe Paterno and the football program rather than the victims of the sex abuse.

Posnanski is a pile of garbage and deserves to cover a sport... baseball... that no one in America cares about anymore.

Deberg_1990
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Posnanski was in Happy Valley for close to a year before the sex abuse scandal broke and apparently never had any clue about what was going on (despite spending the entire year doing extensive research on Joe Paterno and the Penn State football program for his book).

Then after the scandal broke Posnanski directed his sympathy towards Joe Paterno and the football program rather than the victims of the sex abuse.

Posnanski is a pile of garbage and deserves to cover a sport... baseball... that no one in America cares about anymore.

JoPo has always been a glass half full/look on the bright side kind of guy. Every April he would write a "this is he Royals year" column. He's a good writer, but yes, his blind homer/optimism gets old after awhile.

J Diddy
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Yeah because Jo Posnanski was supposed to break a story that had been going on for decades. That's a reasonable expectation right there.
:rolleyes:

Then as far as where his "sympathy" lies. Dude he's a sports writer, of course he's going to write about the sports aspect of it. However, you asserting that he didn't comment about the horrific aspect is a bold faced lie.:

"The last week has torn me up emotionally. This doesn’t matter, of course. All that matters are the victims of the horrible crimes allegedly committed by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I cannot say that enough times. Sometimes, I feel like the last week or so there has been a desperate race among commentators and others to prove that they are MORE against child molesting than anyone else. That makes me sick. We’re all sickened. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all beyond angry, in a place of rage where nothing seems real. The other day, I called it “howling.” I meant that in the purest sense of the word — crying in pain.

So, two points to get out of the way:

1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.

2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.

Beyond these two points, though, I said I wasn’t going to write about this because I feel like there’s still a lot of darkness around. I don’t know what Joe Paterno knew. I don’t know how he handled it. I don’t know if he followed up. I don’t know anything about Paterno’s role in this except for what little was said about that in the horrifying and stomach-turning grand jury findings. People have jumped to many conclusions about Paterno’s role and his negligence, and they might be right. I’ll say it again: They might be right. But they might be wrong, too. And I’m writing a book about the man. I can’t live in that world of maybes."

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/10/the-end-of-paterno/

Demonpenz
03-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Baseball is down and the scandel is a black eye for Posnanski but he can write well.

FloridaMan88
03-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah because Jo Posnanski was supposed to break a story that had been going on for decades. That's a reasonable expectation right there.
:rolleyes:

Then as far as where his "sympathy" lies. Dude he's a sports writer, of course he's going to write about the sports aspect of it. However, you asserting that he didn't comment about the horrific aspect is a bold faced lie

How convenient that you ignored and left out the other comments that Posnanski made regarding the sex abuse scandal:

(link to all the quotes: http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ghall.htm)

“I think [Paterno] is a scapegoat. I definitely think that...I think he tried to do the right thing, and the right thing didn't happen.”
Joe Posnanski, according to @Devon2012 while speaking to a Penn State journalism class November 10, 2011

I've never seen anything handled worse. Maybe how New Orleans, post-Katrina....Paterno was always dangled by this university.”
Joe Posnanski, according to @Devon2012 while speaking to a Penn State journalism class November 10, 2011

“It's already shameful. It'll be ten times more shameful to think that they fired him with a personal messenger sent to his home.”

“The rush to judgment here has been extraordinarily. The lesson to learn might be that we screwed this thing up.”

“The only thing people remember about Woody Hayes is that he hit a player. I don't want that to happen to Joe. He didn't hit a player.”

All of these quotes prove that Posnanski has zero journalistic integrity. He got way too close to the subject of his book (Paterno).

Posnanski is a fraud and a coward.

kchero
03-30-2012, 10:53 PM

:shake: A little harsh there dont you think. God forbid you dont ever come to the wrong conclusion in your walk of life.

KC_Connection
03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I just think Posnanski didn't want to admit the truth of the situation to himself at that time. It must have been very difficult to do so.

FloridaMan88
03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
I just think Posnanski didn't want to admit the truth of the situation to himself at that time. It must have been very difficult to do so.

Again this is proof he got way too close to the subject of his book.

As a journalist it should not have been difficult for Posnanski to objectively cover a story. That is what he's paid to do.

SPchief
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Again this is proof he got way too close to the subject of his book.

As a journalist it should not have been difficult for Posnanski to objectively cover a story. That is what he's paid to do.

He was there to write a book, not be a journalist.

Hydrae
03-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Beat me to it.

This

J Diddy
03-31-2012, 02:44 AM
How convenient that you ignored and left out the other comments that Posnanski made regarding the sex abuse scandal:

(link to all the quotes: http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ghall.htm)

“I think [Paterno] is a scapegoat. I definitely think that...I think he tried to do the right thing, and the right thing didn't happen.”

I've never seen anything handled worse. Maybe how New Orleans, post-Katrina....Paterno was always dangled by this university.”

“It's already shameful. It'll be ten times more shameful to think that they fired him with a personal messenger sent to his home.”

“The rush to judgment here has been extraordinarily. The lesson to learn might be that we screwed this thing up.”

“The only thing people remember about Woody Hayes is that he hit a player. I don't want that to happen to Joe. He didn't hit a player.”

All of these quotes prove that Posnanski has zero journalistic integrity. He got way too close to the subject of his book (Paterno).

Posnanski is a fraud and a coward.

First of all your link brings up a website not an article. Second who the fuck is Devon 2012 and why is this person credible? Third, these are pretty neutral statements: i.e. I think he tried to do the right thing (he did call, he did not do enough, which my link to an article proves that po criticized him for), fourth why are you linking a local mo newspaper instead of either a national one or one that is local to Penn State?

BigRock
03-31-2012, 04:12 AM

I think most legitimate journalists would probably throw up at that suggestion. Regardless, though, Joe being there under the guise of "heartwarming storyteller" and not "seeker of truth" does nothing to rationalize his reaction to the story.

While everyone else was horrified by a serial child molester, Joe decided to criticize the media for making such a big deal about it ("They would never elevate it to this level if it happened at Miami") and criticize Penn State -- but not for how they'd swept Sandusky under the rug. His beef was how they were being unfair to JoePa.

Then he wrote his CYA blog post, quickly changing his tune from "JoePa is a scapegoat" to "JoePa should lose his job". And he pretty much quieted down from there. But he was back at it again a month or two back with the "single hazy event" embarrassment that showed his tune hasn't really changed at all.

And now this. He said Sports Illustrated was his dream job, yet not even three years later he's leaving? For some streaming media thing that nobody even knows what it is? That's more than a little strange.

Dave Lane
03-31-2012, 07:44 AM

Umm you do know Paterno didn't do anything himself.

Poz was exactly right. It was a witch hunt and I don't even like the guy. Odd the priest scandal never brought this much hatred to the surface.