PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs smart to look at rookie QB prospects

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Chiefs smart to look at rookie QB prospects

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56468/chiefs-smart-to-look-at-rookie-qb-prospects

A lot of Chiefs’ fans are all riled up by the news that the Kansas City Chiefs are considering at least two of the top quarterbacks available in the draft.

The Chiefs are looking at rookie quarterbacks. Who do you think they should pursue?

31%
Ryan Tannehill
26%
Kirk Cousins
27%
Brandon Weeden
16%
Brock Osweiler
(Total votes: 2,760)

My reaction? Predictable.

The Chiefs looked into some of the quarterbacks in last year’ draft pool, and I expect them to look at several this year. So, it’s no shock the team is taking closer looks at Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill and Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins.

Kansas City starter Matt Cassel turns 30 in May. It would behoove the Chiefs to look for a young prospect to develop. The Chiefs probably have a better chance to draft Cousins rather than Tannehill. Kansas City has the No. 11 pick in the draft, and Tannehill is expected to taken before then.

Cousins is expected to be a second-round pick. The Chiefs have the No. 44 pick in the second round and could have a real shot at Cousins

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Chiefs show interest in other quarterbacks in the coming weeks, such as Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden, Arizona’s Nick Foles, and Arizona State’s Brock Osweiler.

The Chiefs don’t have a ton of pressing needs, so this might be the time to try to snag the quarterback of the future, and I’m sure that is why the Chiefs are taking pre-draft looks at players at the position.

Meanwhile, in a radio interview, Chiefs’ safety Eric Berry talks about his recovery from a torn knee ligament.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Cousins...Cassel...Cassins....Coussel....they are the same QB with a net difference of

about 10 yards in how far they can throw the ball. (Edge to Cousins)

NO....NO...NO

DO NOT WANT COUSINS.

He is a younger Cassel.

Al Bundy
03-31-2012, 07:07 AM
DO NOT WANT COUSINS.

He is a younger Cassel.

They need to go after either of the QB's from those Arizona schools.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2012, 07:09 AM

I'd be fine with that...

58-4ever
03-31-2012, 07:44 AM

That's not a smart move. I've seen both of those guys play multiple times and was far from impressed. But flame on.

Setsuna
03-31-2012, 08:00 AM
That's not a smart move. I've seen both of those guys play multiple times and was far from impressed. But flame on.

:fire:?

ILChief
03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
DO NOT WANT COUSINS.

He is a younger Cassel.

Except he played in college

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2012, 08:22 AM

Shit.

Put him in the HOF then!

CaliforniaChief
03-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Weeden in the 2nd, although my heart's kind of set on Ta'amu.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Weeden was clutch playing from behind and on 3rd and longs.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
We already have a 29 year old QB.

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Weeden is good but he's old, he's almost as old as Cassel. Osweiler is raw and he comes from a college spread offense, no team should draft him before the 2nd round but you know some dumb ass NFL franchise will snatch him up in the first.

I like Cousins, he at least played under center in a pro style offense.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2012, 08:55 AM

But he is the opposite of clutch.

Setsuna
03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
John elway won SBs past the age of 30. Weeden can too!

Iowanian
03-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Denver just did a backflip when they signed an almost 39 year year old qb

milkman
03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Denver just did a backflip when they signed an almost 39 year year old qb

The difference is that with 36 year old veteran QB, you'll be looking to draft a QBoTF to groom in the next 3 years, while a 29 year old rookie is your QBoTF.

prhom
03-31-2012, 09:32 AM
I really haven't watched Weeden play and his age is definitely a factor, but if he's better than the other FA guys we normally pick up at that age why not? I really think it's safe to say we will never pull a stunt like the Redskins to get a qb. So we're stuck with 2nd tier talent that MAY turn out to be 1st tier that just got overlooked. I won't be upset if Stanzi or Quinn get beat by a rookie QB in camp and end up being cut. Quinn is only a FA and we got Stanzi in the fifth. Hardly what I would call guys we should be scared to cut.

whoman69
03-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Not sure what the bonus is of drafting a late round QB and replacing him the next year with another late round QB.

morphius
03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Do the people that want Tannehill, really want Tannehill? Or is it that they just want the 3rd highest rated QB in the draft? Everything that is written about the guy seems to say that he needs a couple years on the bench before he would be ready to lead and NFL team, which we are not exactly setup for.

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
If you're gonna gamble on a QB in the first round Tannehill is the guy to do it on. He ran a pro style offense in college, he's raw but still coachable, he has great physical ability and lots of upside.

Yah, he's the best of the rest.

milkman
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Do the people that want Tannehill, really want Tannehill? Or is it that they just want the 3rd highest rated QB in the draft? Everything that is written about the guy seems to say that he needs a couple years on the bench before he would be ready to lead and NFL team, which we are not exactly setup for.

To me, if a QB has the physical tools, and he appears to have the mental tools, even if he's a guy that should sit for a year or two, you take him.

KCDC
03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Over the years I've come to the view that football smarts, the ability to read defenses, and accuracy are more important than arm strength, mobility, and athletic prowess. You hope to get it all when you have the #1 or #2 pick in the draft; but, we never will. So we are going to need to settle for guys that don't have it all. So, I'd go for the most accurate passer that knows where his top three reads will be at the end of a five step drop and can coolly hit the hot read when there is a blitz.

Valiant
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0S6W8QtVOKs/TWNlthCDoiI/AAAAAAAAPtA/HaoDaN8Vw6I/s1600/1635898-flame_on_super.jpg

ILChief
03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Tannehill wont make it to us

DTLB58
03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
I would be shocked, but very happy if any of those QB's listed ended up on the Chiefs roster after the draft. Meaning, almost certainly Pioli was going to pick one of them ahead of any of the 3 current on the roster he has Man crush on.

DTLB58
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Tannehill wont make it to us

Agreed. Look how the QB's went in the first round last year. Teams that have a need panic and move up more so now than ever with the new rookie cap. Not nearly the risk.

DTLB58
03-31-2012, 03:51 PM

Nice Touche' :clap:

DTLB58
03-31-2012, 03:56 PM

I don't see Pioli Cutting Cassel the next day if they draft Tannehill. So he might just be a good fit.

DTLB58
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I really haven't watched Weeden play and his age is definitely a factor, but if he's better than the other FA guys we normally pick up at that age why not? I really think it's safe to say we will never pull a stunt like the Redskins to get a qb. So we're stuck with 2nd tier talent that MAY turn out to be 1st tier that just got overlooked. I won't be upset if Stanzi or Quinn get beat by a rookie QB in camp and end up being cut. Quinn is only a FA and we got Stanzi in the fifth. Hardly what I would call guys we should be scared to cut.

Wished we would have played Stanzi 4-5 games last season and seen something to at least get some trade value going. I understand not being upset with losing a 5th rd pick. But when it's a QB that started in the Big Ten and then he doesn't even get a chance on the team that drafts him before being cut seems like a waste.

O.city
03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Really we are set up pretty perfectly for that.

For all the shit Cassel catches on here, he can carry the ship. Granted it's wabbling and moving he can move it forward.

Tannehill can sit like Rodgers for a year or two.

Gotta ask yourself, would you rather do that or continue the course we are on.

Easy 6
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
The guys on sirius NFL said today that we might grab Damian Crowfoot out of division 34 Tallacoochie Community College in the sixth.

O.city
03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Who?

Epic Fail 007
03-31-2012, 08:37 PM
About damn time!

Epic Fail 007
03-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Stop being predgidous on weedons age. Kurt warner was older when he broke in and he did not fair too bad. To not want a talent like weedon because his age is just stupid. If anything the age can work in his favor.

milkman
03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Stop being predgidous on weedons age. Kurt warner was older when he broke in and he did not fair too bad. To not want a talent like weedon because his age is just stupid. If anything the age can work in his favor.

JFC, learn the English language, you dumbass.

Kurt Warner spent 4 or 5 years learning the pro game after he got out of school.

Brandon Weedon will be starting from scratch, and he will be older than Warner was when he gets that start.

He'll be 32 by the time he "gets it".

Epic Fail 007
03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
JFC, learn the English language, you dumbass.

Kurt Warner spent 4 or 5 years learning the pro game after he got out of school.

Brandon Weedon will be starting from scratch, and he will be older than Warner was when he gets that start.

He'll be 32 by the time he "gets it".

Yeah your right I bow down to you. Stfu you trailer trash bottle feedin fuckin whore. This is a place for opinions. I `ll give mine live everyone here.Who the fuck are you to come down on anyone. Im sorry your bitch would not give you some ass. Your nothing ok. Im surely not going to be scared of a man with a fag name like milkman. You like that milk don`t you big boy? Now back off asshole.

milkman
03-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah your right I bow down to you. Stfu you trailer trash bottle feedin ****in whore. This is a place for opinions. I `ll give mine live everyone here.Who the **** are you to come down on anyone. Im sorry your bitch would not give you some ass. Your nothing ok. Im surely not going to be scared of a man with a pillowbiter name like milkman. You like that milk don`t you big boy? Now back off asshole.

First off you dumbass, I gave a civil response to your opinion, which you are entitled to.

I came down on you because of the fact that your use of the English language is akin to a gorilla with a hammer.

It took me a while to even figure out what the hell "predgidous" was supposed to be.

And yes, I'm an asshole.

I'm surprised you had the wherewithal to figure that out.

BossChief
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Think about it.

Drafting Tanehill gives everyone what they want.

He isn't ready to play, so Cassel still gets to start. Pioli gets his way. Cassel gets a shot to prove us all wrong and if he does, Tanehill can sit like Aaron Rodgers did...if it doesn't, we have "plan B" and "plan C" ready to go. Pioli is covered on all fronts.

Us fans finally get a first round quarterback with real tools to win in in today's NFL.

Romeo gets a quarterback other than Cassel to groom as his own.

Everybody wins.

KCrockaholic
03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Think about it.

Drafting Tanehill gives everyone what they want.

He isn't ready to play, so Cassel still gets to start. Pioli gets his way. Cassel gets a shot to prove us all wrong and if he does, Tanehill can sit like Aaron Rodgers did...if it doesn't, we have "plan B" and "plan C" ready to go. Pioli is covered on all fronts.

Us fans finally get a first round quarterback with real tools to win in in today's NFL.

Romeo gets a quarterback other than Cassel to groom as his own.

Everybody wins.

Nope. In bold, not what I want. Cassel's had his chance. He can't compete in this league.

kcxiv
03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Nope. In bold, not what I want. Cassel's had his chance. He can't compete in this league.

He should have said. Cassel plays til he plays so bad, that they have no choice but to make the switch.

We all know Cassel will NEVER be that guy. He will shit the bed. He will hold on to that ball way to long. He will miss WR's wide open down the middle because he doesnt look at his 3rd options.

Its just time we had some real competition. Remember the Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle competition? haha. We need to not have that ever again.