PDA

View Full Version : KU I think Kansas is a dirty/shady program

Sucky
03-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Probably gonna catch hell for this but the proof is there. Look at all the shady shit that has gone there.

A chronological timeline of Bill Self's tenure at KU.

2003 Off-season
Darnell Jackson becomes Self's first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in illegal benefits by KU booster Don Davis during his recruitment. The benefits happened between the fall of 2002 and the spring of 2005. The benefits included impermissible transportation, meals and lodging for Jackson and his family, gifts and a personal loan.

2004 Off-season
Kurtis Townsend is hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend's experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history, which landed the school on 3 years probation. He followed that up as an assistant at Michigan (1998-2001) during the greatest recruiting scandal in the history of the NCAA, which resulted in four years of major sanctions for the school. As a bonus to the Kansas basketball program, Townsend brought along with him recruit C.J. Giles, formerly committed to USC when Townsend was coaching there. However, when Townsend left USC for Miami, G.J. Giles transferred along with him to Miami. Once Townsend was fired at Miami, C.J. Giles again transferred with him, this time to Kansas. More on Townsend in a future post, but here's a preview. Slimy? You decide. I think the answer is quite obvious.

Julian Wright commits to Kansas without ever visiting campus. Wright, who had previously eliminated Kansas from his list, apparently and inexplicably changed his mind and committed on the spot during a Self and Townsend in-home visit. Scheduled visits to various other schools
are abruptly canceled.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Rodrick Stewart, another one of Townsend's former players and recruits, transfers to Kansas from USC. For more on this story, http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/176969_locke09.html.

.2005 Off-season
Alex Galindo and Nick Bahe announce they are transferring from the Kansas basketball program.

A measly 300 fans show up for Kansas basketball awards ceremony. The majority of the seating for 2,024 remains empty; "The ones who didn't show up can sit behind their desk, their computers or whatever and complain till next season," said Keith Langford.

A highly publicized bar fight involving starting guard J.R. Giddens occurs. (Type "JR Giddens Moon Bar" into Google and you get 2,750 results.) Multiple witnesses report that Giddens was the primary instigator in an attack that saw 10-12 people beat Olathe resident Jeremiah Creswell with fists, bricks and bottles. Saying he was trying to defend himself, Creswell brandished a knife and stabbed Giddens and four others. Witnesses said KU forward C.J. Giles also threw a punch and tossed bricks at Creswell as he lay defenseless on the ground
getting stomped.

At some point in June, the Kansas athletic department receives an anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations. Ronnie Chalmers, previously a high school coach in Alaska with only 5 years of experience, but more importantly, recruit Mario Chalmers' father, is announced as Director of Kansas Basketball Operations. His
son also elects to come to Lawrence.

Among other undisclosed violations and disclosed violations, such as the discovery of massive and rampant academic fraud within Kansas' football program, Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing
monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility, in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women's basketball and men's football. Curiously, men's basketball escapes all self-imposed punishment.

Rodrick Stewart suffers gash on head after having a bottle smashed over his head during a fight at a Lawrence, Kansas bar.

Brandon Rush commits to Kansas basketball program. Rush narrowed his college choices to Illinois and Oklahoma. Rumors are that he couldn't qualify at Illinois or Oklahoma. He decided he would have to enter the draft straight from high school as he couldn't qualify at a D1 university, except it looked as though he wouldn't be a first round selection, something his brother already had happen to him. His brothers talked him out of it. Two weeks after school started he got into KU and even though he at times carried a 0.0 GPA in high school managed to get a 3.6 at KU while missing the first two weeks of classes. This strangely coincided with the same time frame which their compliance department was noted to be severely understaffed and inadequate by the NCAA and academic fraud was occurring.

Sherron Collins commits to Kansas amidst various media reports that he was steered by his coach Anthony Longstreet, (More on Longstreet in a future post), considered by Chicago Public League coaches as the new Landon "Sonny" Cox for his ability to recruit players to Crane. Scheduled visits promised to various other schools are abruptly canceled. Afterward, Longstreet, without being prompted or even accused of taking money, bizarrely challenged local sportswriters to "get the proof, produce the canceled check.'' Thereafter, Longstreet refused to ever speak again on the subject. He explained, "Right now, I've been told to be quiet because
this stuff is getting too ugly."

Darnell Jackson is ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for nine games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

A cbssportsline.com article suggests that J.R. Giddens is also ultimately wrapped up in the Darnell Jackson scandal, questioning: "Did Don Davis also have a "relationship" with Jackson's best friend and former AAU teammate, J.R. Giddens, the McDonald's All-American who signed with Kansas in 2003? Because if the answer is yes, Kansas has a big, big, big problem."

2007-2008 Season
June, 2008. A judge rules in favor of the woman Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damages in excess of $75,000. She accused him of exposing himself and rubbing against her on May 18, 2007, in an elevator at a University of Kansas apartment complex. Collins does not show up to court.

Ronnie Chalmers, no longer the son of a KU player after Mario declares early for the NBA draft, vacates the Director of Basketball Operations position.

While living in university paid for housing prior to being eligible for scholarship benefits, 18 year old Markieff Morris drunkenly shoots a lady with a BB gun from his dorm room window. No action is taken.

Two weeks after school starts (shades of Brandon Rush before them), the Morris twins are cleared to play basketball for KU. "While it may have taken a bit longer than we had hoped, the important thing is that the process worked," Self said regarding having them take classes in
Lawrence.

Dallas School District re-opens case regarding Arthur not really being a college eligible player. Ashmore, Arthur's Math teacher said when Arthur was failing Algebra I as a freshman in the fall of 2002, his coach asked for leniency. Ashmore said when he refused, Arthur was
abruptly moved to another class. A closer examination of Arthur's grades reveal that his English III grades of 75, 60, 70 and 65 don't actually add up to a 70 as is reflected on his transcript. In fact, the average should be 67.5, meaning he should have failed the course that is needed to graduate. "Like I said, he [Arthur] just kind of checked out that third six weeks," Yourse, his English teacher said. Melanie Kidd was Arthur's theater arts teacher in the fall of 2004.
She said she remembers Arthur failed the course during the final six weeks. Arthur made a grade of 50, she said. According to his transcripts, Arthur's grades for the last six weeks of theater arts are also missing. A block of grades from Arthur's Algebra II were also
missing on the transcript from the fall semester of 2005. All that is present is a final grade, which was changed from "failing" to a passing grade of 70 nine months later in September the following year. NCAA officials have confirmed that if Arthur never officially graduated, his eligibility at Kansas is something that may have to be investigated. My question is: are they investigating it?

2008-09 Season
During a 'no contact period' as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to John Wall, the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation. To demonstrate his respect for NCAA rules states in front of a witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win."

2009 Off-season
Xavier Henry, one of the top five high school players in the class of 2009, commits to KU after John Calipari leaves Memphis for Kentucky. Two weeks ago, KU didn't have any available scholarships to give. Curiously, Tyrone Appleton and Quintrell Thomas announced that they are transferring from KU,

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/does-bill-self-run-a-clean

Silock
03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi, Fiji!

sedated
03-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Fijitiger???? Didn't know you were a chiefs fan.

Bambi
03-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Everything listed above is awesome and as a KU fan I support it all 100%.

Now let's go get a fucking snack!

DJay23
03-31-2012, 11:34 AM
I think you've spent too much time obsessing about a team you don't like. Go out and live life.

J Diddy
03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
You know I opened this and saw that the OP had less than 200 posts and I thought, "hey, I'll give it a shot."

Well after a minute or two, I have buyers remorse. I would like that to be refunded, please.
This is all just a bunch of guesses.

bevischief
03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
butt hurt much?

Imon Yourside
03-31-2012, 11:55 AM
This is Bruce Weber, sure of it.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2012, 11:58 AM
LMAO

Bump
03-31-2012, 11:58 AM
get outta here

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Duh, it costs extra before they'll wear that cartoon buckled bird.

Scorp
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
I like turtles!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NscTj38iaHk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Nucky, what do you know about the Left handed Layup?

Thig Lyfe
03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll40oqttfG1qfwrl0.gif

Fritz88
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I am going to enjoy my team's final four game to the fullest.

Enjoy your confetti.

SnakeXJones
03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah cause Ku is the only school in the ncaa to break rules every school does it dumbass

P.S. DIAF

royr17
03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Probably gonna catch hell for this but the proof is there. Look at all the shady shit that has gone there.

A chronological timeline of Bill Self's tenure at KU.

2003 Off-season
Darnell Jackson becomes Self's first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in illegal benefits by KU booster Don Davis during his recruitment. The benefits happened between the fall of 2002 and the spring of 2005. The benefits included impermissible transportation, meals and lodging for Jackson and his family, gifts and a personal loan.

2004 Off-season
Kurtis Townsend is hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend's experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history, which landed the school on 3 years probation. He followed that up as an assistant at Michigan (1998-2001) during the greatest recruiting scandal in the history of the NCAA, which resulted in four years of major sanctions for the school. As a bonus to the Kansas basketball program, Townsend brought along with him recruit C.J. Giles, formerly committed to USC when Townsend was coaching there. However, when Townsend left USC for Miami, G.J. Giles transferred along with him to Miami. Once Townsend was fired at Miami, C.J. Giles again transferred with him, this time to Kansas. More on Townsend in a future post, but here's a preview. Slimy? You decide. I think the answer is quite obvious.

Julian Wright commits to Kansas without ever visiting campus. Wright, who had previously eliminated Kansas from his list, apparently and inexplicably changed his mind and committed on the spot during a Self and Townsend in-home visit. Scheduled visits to various other schools
are abruptly canceled.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Rodrick Stewart, another one of Townsend's former players and recruits, transfers to Kansas from USC. For more on this story, http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/176969_locke09.html.

.2005 Off-season
Alex Galindo and Nick Bahe announce they are transferring from the Kansas basketball program.

A measly 300 fans show up for Kansas basketball awards ceremony. The majority of the seating for 2,024 remains empty; "The ones who didn't show up can sit behind their desk, their computers or whatever and complain till next season," said Keith Langford.

A highly publicized bar fight involving starting guard J.R. Giddens occurs. (Type "JR Giddens Moon Bar" into Google and you get 2,750 results.) Multiple witnesses report that Giddens was the primary instigator in an attack that saw 10-12 people beat Olathe resident Jeremiah Creswell with fists, bricks and bottles. Saying he was trying to defend himself, Creswell brandished a knife and stabbed Giddens and four others. Witnesses said KU forward C.J. Giles also threw a punch and tossed bricks at Creswell as he lay defenseless on the ground
getting stomped.

At some point in June, the Kansas athletic department receives an anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations. Ronnie Chalmers, previously a high school coach in Alaska with only 5 years of experience, but more importantly, recruit Mario Chalmers' father, is announced as Director of Kansas Basketball Operations. His
son also elects to come to Lawrence.

Among other undisclosed violations and disclosed violations, such as the discovery of massive and rampant academic fraud within Kansas' football program, Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing
monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility, in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women's basketball and men's football. Curiously, men's basketball escapes all self-imposed punishment.

Rodrick Stewart suffers gash on head after having a bottle smashed over his head during a fight at a Lawrence, Kansas bar.

Brandon Rush commits to Kansas basketball program. Rush narrowed his college choices to Illinois and Oklahoma. Rumors are that he couldn't qualify at Illinois or Oklahoma. He decided he would have to enter the draft straight from high school as he couldn't qualify at a D1 university, except it looked as though he wouldn't be a first round selection, something his brother already had happen to him. His brothers talked him out of it. Two weeks after school started he got into KU and even though he at times carried a 0.0 GPA in high school managed to get a 3.6 at KU while missing the first two weeks of classes. This strangely coincided with the same time frame which their compliance department was noted to be severely understaffed and inadequate by the NCAA and academic fraud was occurring.

Sherron Collins commits to Kansas amidst various media reports that he was steered by his coach Anthony Longstreet, (More on Longstreet in a future post), considered by Chicago Public League coaches as the new Landon "Sonny" Cox for his ability to recruit players to Crane. Scheduled visits promised to various other schools are abruptly canceled. Afterward, Longstreet, without being prompted or even accused of taking money, bizarrely challenged local sportswriters to "get the proof, produce the canceled check.'' Thereafter, Longstreet refused to ever speak again on the subject. He explained, "Right now, I've been told to be quiet because
this stuff is getting too ugly."

Darnell Jackson is ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for nine games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

A cbssportsline.com article suggests that J.R. Giddens is also ultimately wrapped up in the Darnell Jackson scandal, questioning: "Did Don Davis also have a "relationship" with Jackson's best friend and former AAU teammate, J.R. Giddens, the McDonald's All-American who signed with Kansas in 2003? Because if the answer is yes, Kansas has a big, big, big problem."

2007-2008 Season
June, 2008. A judge rules in favor of the woman Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damages in excess of $75,000. She accused him of exposing himself and rubbing against her on May 18, 2007, in an elevator at a University of Kansas apartment complex. Collins does not show up to court.

Ronnie Chalmers, no longer the son of a KU player after Mario declares early for the NBA draft, vacates the Director of Basketball Operations position.

While living in university paid for housing prior to being eligible for scholarship benefits, 18 year old Markieff Morris drunkenly shoots a lady with a BB gun from his dorm room window. No action is taken.

Two weeks after school starts (shades of Brandon Rush before them), the Morris twins are cleared to play basketball for KU. "While it may have taken a bit longer than we had hoped, the important thing is that the process worked," Self said regarding having them take classes in
Lawrence.

Dallas School District re-opens case regarding Arthur not really being a college eligible player. Ashmore, Arthur's Math teacher said when Arthur was failing Algebra I as a freshman in the fall of 2002, his coach asked for leniency. Ashmore said when he refused, Arthur was
abruptly moved to another class. A closer examination of Arthur's grades reveal that his English III grades of 75, 60, 70 and 65 don't actually add up to a 70 as is reflected on his transcript. In fact, the average should be 67.5, meaning he should have failed the course that is needed to graduate. "Like I said, he [Arthur] just kind of checked out that third six weeks," Yourse, his English teacher said. Melanie Kidd was Arthur's theater arts teacher in the fall of 2004.
She said she remembers Arthur failed the course during the final six weeks. Arthur made a grade of 50, she said. According to his transcripts, Arthur's grades for the last six weeks of theater arts are also missing. A block of grades from Arthur's Algebra II were also
missing on the transcript from the fall semester of 2005. All that is present is a final grade, which was changed from "failing" to a passing grade of 70 nine months later in September the following year. NCAA officials have confirmed that if Arthur never officially graduated, his eligibility at Kansas is something that may have to be investigated. My question is: are they investigating it?

2008-09 Season
During a 'no contact period' as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to John Wall, the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation. To demonstrate his respect for NCAA rules states in front of a witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win."

2009 Off-season
Xavier Henry, one of the top five high school players in the class of 2009, commits to KU after John Calipari leaves Memphis for Kentucky. Two weeks ago, KU didn't have any available scholarships to give. Curiously, Tyrone Appleton and Quintrell Thomas announced that they are transferring from KU,

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/does-bill-self-run-a-clean

Hmm sure smells and sounds like a kentucky fan trying to start shit cause they think that Calipari is a god and doesnt do shit like that.

Braincase
03-31-2012, 12:31 PM
There is a Mizzou basketball thread for the haters.

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
tl;dr

Cliff's notes version = butthurt

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/6/11/1977744/86123-330-0.jpg

grandllamajr
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I think butt hurt was the correct response

The Dawg
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

I'm starting to agree more and more about the 1000 post rule before you can start threads. Even though I only have a few posts myself- I think my threads can hold their water better than this BS

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
who cares? It is a stupid fucking sport anyway. It would be tolerable to watch if the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball were actually enforced with some regularity. the only things less tolerable to watch on tv is golf and NBA basketball.

I will watch a baseball triple header featuring teams I don't give two shits about than sit through a basketball game. the entire sport is a farce. basketball has been the most boring sport on TV since Jordan retired from the Bulls (his return to the Wizards was an abortion on par with tiger wood's marriage).

fuck Kobe Bryant.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2012, 12:43 PM
who cares? It is a stupid ****ing sport anyway. It would be tolerable to watch if the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball were actually enforced with some regularity. the only things less tolerable to watch on tv is golf and NBA basketball.

I will watch a baseball triple header featuring teams I don't give two shits about than sit through a basketball game. the entire sport is a farce. basketball has been the most boring sport on TV since Jordan retired from the Bulls (his return to the Wizards was an abortion on par with tiger wood's marriage).

**** Kobe Bryant.

Now that MU's basketball season is over, basketball sucks now. LMAO

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Now that MU's basketball season is over, basketball sucks now. LMAO

See... this is what I hate about fans. You assume I am an MU fan. I'm not. It is shit like this post by VT that makes me root against the beaks despite not caring about the sport. Oh, someone said something negative about the school you follow? They must be a butthurt fan of a team that is no longer playing!!!! They cannot possibly be just saying something to say it... there must be some correlation that I can make fun of!!!!!

If you really wanna get into it I am a K-State fan but I don't follow basketball enough to give two shits other than knowing that they made the tourney and lost.

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
http://toryardvaark.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/comical_ali.jpg

REPORTED!!!!!!

/i keed

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
See... this is what I hate about fans. You assume I am an MU fan. I'm not. It is shit like this post by VT that makes me root against the beaks despite not caring about the sport. Oh, someone said something negative about the school you follow? They must be a butthurt fan of a team that is no longer playing!!!! They cannot possibly be just saying something to say it... there must be some correlation that I can make fun of!!!!!

If you really wanna get into it I am a K-State fan but I don't follow basketball enough to give two shits other than knowing that they made the tourney and lost.

So the butthurt is the same in this one...mmmmm

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
So the butthurt is the same in this one...mmmmm

you are truly a master of herp the derp.

Setsuna
03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Bearcat deleted a post? The mods are actually doing something? Shocking! And I don't like it.

Bearcat
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Bearcat deleted a post? The mods are actually doing something? Shocking! And I don't like it.

Things are going to change around here!

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
you are truly a master of herp the derp.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EIyGwGaZ1o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 01:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EIyGwGaZ1o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL

Braincase
03-31-2012, 01:10 PM
who cares? It is a stupid ****ing sport anyway. It would be tolerable to watch if the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball were actually enforced with some regularity. the only things less tolerable to watch on tv is golf and NBA basketball.

**** Kobe Bryant.

Interesting take. I feel the same way, but reverse the roles of baseball and basketball. But by all means, thanks for your contribution.

pr_capone
03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Interesting take. I feel the same way, but reverse the roles of baseball and basketball. But by all means, thanks for your contribution.

:D

Deberg_1990
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm of the belief every major college football and basketball program is dirty at one point or another. I really don't care. A lot of the NCAA rules are moronic.

Braincase
03-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Does Kentucky have a Yellow Journalism School?

KC_Connection
03-31-2012, 01:35 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll40oqttfG1qfwrl0.gif
This. It's major college sports. What exactly do you think is going on?

Fairplay
03-31-2012, 01:37 PM
obligatory~ u mad bro?

Silock
03-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Also most of that stuff is inaccurate.

Bugeater
03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I wish the team I was a fan of was shady, then maybe they'd fucking win a game or two now and then.

J Diddy
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I think that the responsible thing to do here is stop, take a step back and then ask Jackie Moon what he would do. I did just that and came up with that response.

"Everybody panic! Oh my God, there's a bear loose in the coliseum! There will be no refunds! Your refund will be escaping this deathtrap with your life! If you have a small child, use it as a shield! They love the tender meat! Cover your sodas! Dewie loves sugar!"

JOhn
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I wish the team I was a fan of was shady, then maybe they'd ****ing win a game or two now and then.

:clap::clap:

Imon Yourside
03-31-2012, 01:46 PM
John Calipari

Braincase
03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
John Calipari

1951... worst scandal ever in college sports.

Can you say "Death Penalty", boys and girls?

On October 20, 1951, former Kentucky players Alex Groza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Groza), Ralph Beard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Beard), and Dale Barnstable were arrested for taking bribes from gamblers to shave points (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shaving) during the National Invitation Tournament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament) game against the Loyola Ramblers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyola_Ramblers) in the 1948–49 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948%E2%80%9349_Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball_team).<sup id="cite_ref-bigblue1_3-0" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-bigblue1-3)</sup> This game occurred during the same year that Kentucky won their second straight NCAA title under Adolph Rupp.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-4)</sup> Rupp and the university were criticized by the presiding judge, Saul Streit, for creating an atmosphere for the violations to occur and for "failing in his duty to observe the amateur rules, to build character, and to protect the morals and health of his charges".<sup id="cite_ref-bigblue2_5-0" class="reference">[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-bigblue2-5)</sup> Senior center Bill Spivey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Spivey), a freshman on the 1948 unit, was charged with perjury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjury) due to discrepancies between his testimony and former teammates who claimed he was involved in the scheme as well. While he was acquitted, he was barred from ever playing for the Wildcats again.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-6)</sup>
Following the point shaving scandal, the NCAA and Southeastern Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Conference) opened an investigation into the Kentucky program. In August 1952, the SEC barred Kentucky from conference play for the 1952-53 season.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-7)</sup> In October, in its first-ever formal enforcement action, the NCAA found that 10 Kentucky basketball players received impermissible financial aid. It also found that Rupp and his staff knew the players were ineligible and allowed them to play anyway. As punishment, the NCAA barred Kentucky's entire athletic program from postseason play for the 1952-53 academic year, and directed its basketball-playing members to boycott the Wildcats during the 1952-53 season.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-8)</sup> The latter penalty was invoked through provisions in the NCAA Constitution that required members to compete against only those schools that were compliant with NCAA rules.<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-9)</sup> This effectively canceled the Wildcats' 1952-53 season, and is thus reckoned as the first "death penalty."

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_%28NCAA%29)

Titty Meat
03-31-2012, 02:42 PM
I wish the team I was a fan of was shady, then maybe they'd ****ing win a game or two now and then.

Shutup Creighton fan.