PDA

View Full Version : Football New Panthers jerseys pay tribute to Sam Mills

WV
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
New Panthers jerseys pay tribute to Sam Mills (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/new-panthers-jerseys-pay-tribute-to-sam-mills/)
There’s much to like about the new Nike-manufactured NFL uniforms, notwithstanding the Seahawks’ new psychedelic Rollerball ensemble.

The thing I like most about the jerseys will never be seen during a game.

As pointed out by Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer, the phrase “KEEP POUNDING” is stitched into the interior trim of the neck area on the new Panthers jerseys.

It was a phrase used by the late Sam Mills, a Panthers linebacker and assistant coach who died of cancer in 2005. Per Fowler, Mills gave a stirring pre-game speech the night before a 2003 playoff win over the Cowboys.

“When I found out I had cancer, there were two things I could do — quit or keep pounding,” Mills said. “I’m a fighter. I kept pounding. You’re fighters, too. Keep pounding.”

Years after Mills’ passing, it’s great that he’s still remembered. And it’s incredible that the team saw fit to do so by including the “KEEP POUNDING” message inside every jersey that every member of the team will wear.

Pretty awesome thing to do IMO.

ModSocks
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
That slogan would go great on my underwear.

KCrockaholic
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM

On the butt part?

pkane
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM

LMAO

redsurfer11
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Cool. My brother played against Sam Mills in HS.

Phobia
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Cool. My brother played against Sam Mills in HS.
Name dropper.

Kurt Warner bagged my groceries.

Psyko Tek
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I bagged Kurt Warner's wife

actually it was a double bagger