PDA

View Full Version : Life It was change jar night last night.

Rain Man
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I had about 30 minutes to kill before I went to bed, and the change jar was getting full, so it was time to roll some coin.

The haul:

$81.50 in rolled coins (plus some that went back in because they wouldn't fill a roll)

32 Sacajawea dollars (what the - ?)

11 Susan B. Anthony Dollars

6 Kennedy half dollars, which I think have been in my change jar for 30 years because I don't want to spend them

2 Eisenhower dollars, same drill as the Kennedy halves. I love Eisenhower dollars

4 Euro coins (2 5-cent, 1 2-cent, and 1 teeny-weeny 1-cent)

2 Australian coins (1 10-cent, 1 5-cent)

1 1799 British coin of unknown denomination. In fairness, I don't think I got this in change. I vaguely remember buying it as a souvenir several years back when I was at Mount Vernon or Alexandria or something. I'd forgotten all about it, but it was cool to discover again.

seclark
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
pic #3
is that some chick taking a dump?
sec

Rain Man
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
pic #3
is that some chick taking a dump?
sec

They were pretty mad about that whole revolution thing.

DaKCMan AP
I'll give you $50 for the haul.

Dave Lane
I believe it is Liberty sitting on a throne. It's a British Half Penny in pretty awful shape but a cool bit of history.

Rain Man
04-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I'll give you $50 for the haul.

Will you pay for shipping?

DaKCMan AP
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Will you pay for shipping?

No, but I'll let you keep the change jar and the Euro & Australian coins.

Rain Man
04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I believe it is Liberty sitting on a throne. It's a British Half Penny in pretty awful shape but a cool bit of history.

I was kind of hoping it was a thousand-pound note or something, but your answer makes more sense. I vaguely remember buying it for a buck or a few bucks and they had a bunch of them sitting in a bowl. I thought it made for a pretty cool souvenir.

Rain Man
No, but I'll let you keep the change jar and the Euro & Australian coins.

Give me a day to think about it.

Dartgod
We save our change in a metal Chiefs bucket and cash it in every couple of years. Last year we had almost $600 that we added to our Vegas bankroll.

DaKCMan AP
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Give me a day to think about it.

Ok, but a lot can change in a day.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I save change in an over-sized, glass KU mug and cash it in every few months. The most I've ever collected was roughly $120. It's nice... like getting free money.

DaKCMan AP
04-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I save change in an over-sized, glass KU mug and cash it in every few months. The most I've ever collected was roughly $120. It's nice... like getting free money.

Is it a Charlie Weis shaped mug? Or is it vintage Mark Mangino?

AndChiefs
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Enough time for the change jar but not enough time for a biscuit?:shake:

seclark
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
i save all my change in a coffee can. when it gets full, i cash it in. it never really amounts to that much though, because my wife and daughter always steal all the quarters out of it to wash their cars, etc.:#
sec

loochy
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
ive got a feeling
wooo oooo
that tonight's gonna be a jar night
that tonight's gonna be a change jar night

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

:hmmm:

It's more of a great big cylinder shape without a bulge in the middle. It reminds me more of Greg Ostertag or maybe Wayne Simien actually.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM
6 Kennedy half dollars, which I think have been in my change jar for 30 years because I don't want to spend them

If the halves are from the 60s they are worth about $5. 1964 would be worth about $15.

seclark
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
If the halves are from the 60s they are worth about $5. 1964 would be worth about $15.

no shit? i've got a bank bag full of halves from the 60s my grandmother gave me before she died. i think the wife has them in the safe deposit box at the bank...either that, or she used them to wash her fuckin car, too.
sec

Spokane Chief Fan
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
We save ours until something comes up. This time we have been saving for a year and it will be the son's wedding present in July. Approximatly $700 by then.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
no shit? i've got a bank bag full of halves from the 60s my grandmother gave me before she died. i think the wife has them in the safe deposit box at the bank...either that, or she used them to wash her ****in car, too.
sec

No shit.

Halves (and quarters and dimes) from 1964 and before are 90% silver. Halves (but not quarters or dimes) from 1965-69 are 40% silver.

Silver's gone a lot down lately, so I was a little high, but the 1964 and prior are worth about $11 right now and the 65-69 about $4.

If they are in 'uncirculated' condition, they might be worth a little more. There really aren't any rare ones until you get back to the 1930s.

Slainte
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Save up my 1 € coins for six months and have enough for a months rent when I take them to the bank. Thus I tell myself that I'm getting 2 months free rent every year.

Pushead2
04-04-2012, 10:29 AM
people still roll coins??

Rain Man
04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
people still roll coins??

It's a rewarding and lucrative hobby.

NewChief
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Debit cards have really put a damper on my change collection (and contributions to Salvation Army bellringers).

Okie_Apparition
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
This deserves a 3 biscuit can popping open salute
make sure any windows are closed so the neighbors don't call the police

WV
04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Debit cards have really put a damper on my change collection (and contributions to Salvation Army bellringers).

This...I so rarely deal with actual cash I rarely have any change.

Frazod
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a couple of cups on top of my dresser than I keep change in - they generally get filled up at around the $60 level. I just take it to the bank, funnel it through the sorting machine and pocket the cash. Saves me from the ATM for a few days.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM

I believe it's part of the ego collection.

Rain Man
04-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I have a couple of cups on top of my dresser than I keep change in - they generally get filled up at around the $60 level. I just take it to the bank, funnel it through the sorting machine and pocket the cash. Saves me from the ATM for a few days.

Maybe they've started doing it again, but the banks around here made it hard to take change in at some point. I think they didn't like putting it through their machines.

As a result, we then got some of those automatic change machines, including one in our grocery store. But they were highway robbery, charging something like 8 percent to sort your coins. No way was I doing something like that, so I just rolled them myself. Then my wife got me an automatic sorter/roller for Christmas a few years back, so now it's all fun and games.

Frazod
04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Maybe they've started doing it again, but the banks around here made it hard to take change in at some point. I think they didn't like putting it through their machines.

As a result, we then got some of those automatic change machines, including one in our grocery store. But they were highway robbery, charging something like 8 percent to sort your coins. No way was I doing something like that, so I just rolled them myself. Then my wife got me an automatic sorter/roller for Christmas a few years back, so now it's all fun and games.

The change sorter at the bank doesn't charge extra unless you're not a customer. And the one in the grocery store charges if you take out cash, but not if you get a coupon for the grocery store, which I have no problem with, considering that we almost always spend more than that.

Dartgod
04-05-2012, 09:04 AM

My bank doesn't want them rolled. They don't trust me I guess. :shrug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM

My bank won't take rolled coins say they have to still put it through their counting machine,makes me think I'm getting ripped off.

cdcox
04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Change jar? You people need to implement a change management system. I always have between 0 and 4 pennies in my pocket by paying the pennies from my pocket on any cash transaction. Larger coins go into vending machines. If I build up more than a couple bucks of change I use it for a cup of coffee.

I was hoarding state quarters for a while but cashed them in for a smoker.

patteeu
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I was kind of hoping it was a thousand-pound note or something, but your answer makes more sense. I vaguely remember buying it for a buck or a few bucks and they had a bunch of them sitting in a bowl. I thought it made for a pretty cool souvenir.

You need to label your souvenirs or something. They kind of lose their meaning if you forget where they came from.

Do you roll your own coins because you like to do it? A lot of banks have coin counting machines that you can use for free if you have an account. I take my coin jar in every few months and just dump it in. I usually count it before I take it in just because I like to do it though (and it gives me confidence in the machine count).

Edit: Partial repost... grrrrr

patteeu
04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

I've been told that a lot of KU grads keep their life savings in an over-sized glass KU mug.

Rain Man
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
You need to label your souvenirs or something. They kind of lose their meaning if you forget where they came from.

Do you roll your own coins because you like to do it? A lot of banks have coin counting machines that you can use for free if you have an account. I take my coin jar in every few months and just dump it in. I usually count it before I take it in just because I like to do it though (and it gives me confidence in the machine count).

Yeah, I have a South African clay mask and I have no idea now where it came from.

At one point my local bank (a small branch bank) wouldn't accept coinage, so I started doing it myself. And I know they had a coin sorter because it was sitting on the counter behind them. That was a dozen years ago, so maybe they've changed their policies, but now it's kind of fun for me to occasionally do the ol' count and roll.

patteeu
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I have a South African clay mask and I have no idea now where it came from.

At one point my local bank (a small branch bank) wouldn't accept coinage, so I started doing it myself. And I know they had a coin sorter because it was sitting on the counter behind them. That was a dozen years ago, so maybe they've changed their policies, but now it's kind of fun for me to occasionally do the ol' count and roll.

My dad used to collect coins. He collected one penny from each year minted at each mint (Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco) and he also collected as much of the silver coinage as he could find (see Cosmo's post about the content of coins in the 1960s). During the late 60s and 70s (my childhood years), he used to get a couple hundred dollars worth of quarters, dimes, and pennies from the bank at a time and then we would sit at home sorting through them looking for specific pennies and pre-1965 silver coins. When we were through, we'd stack up the remainder and re-roll it so he could take it back to the bank and get some more. So your "hobby" reminds me of those times with my dad.