PDA

View Full Version : KU College Basketball "One and Done" rule about to change???

teedubya
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/57557/video-one-and-done-rule-be-changed

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Some HUGE news coming in minutes on NBA Early Entry Player. Stay tuned.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/187614783263096832" data-datetime="2012-04-04T18:57:04+00:00">April 4, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NEW YORK (AP) - David Stern would love a system in which Anthony
Davis and the rest of Kentucky's freshmen stars were required to
try to repeat.

Instead, the NBA commissioner could end up calling Davis' name in June as the first pick in the draft.

The league wasn't able to change its draft eligibility rules during collective bargaining last year. The rules require an American player to be 19 years old and a year out of high school. The players' association would only agree to form a committee to discuss changes, and is unlikely to consent to an increase without some concession from owners.

While Stern says the NBA "would love to add a year," he's pleased that the age limit, instituted in 2005, has kept NBA scouts out of high school gyms.

DaKCMan AP
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Just require that scholarships last a minimum of 3 years. Thus, if a team like Kentucky loses all 5 starters who are freshmen and sophomores they can't fill those scholarships until the players would have been seniors.

It'll even things out so that a team doesn't load up every year with a bunch of 1-and-done players.

ChiefMojo
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
What I have seen is more than likely they open it back up to high schoolers being able to go into the draft but if you don't jump immediately, you have to play at least two years in college.

There is no way they will make kids who don't want to be in college in the first place go yet another extra year. You would see a mass exodus of elite talent heading to Europe immediately. If the kid is good enough, let them go straight to the NBA, don't hold them hostage for two years. Those kids aren't "student-athletes".

mnchiefsguy
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Frankly, it is un-American to restrict the players in such a way. If they have the talent and want to pursue their NBA dream after one year of college...so be it. If they want to go straight to the NBA at 18 and out of high school, and an NBA team is willing to draft them and pay them, then let them. Every man has a right to earn a living.

DMAC
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Frankly, it is un-American to restrict the players in such a way. If they have the talent and want to pursue their NBA dream after one year of college...so be it. If they want to go straight to the NBA at 18 and out of high school, and an NBA team is willing to draft them and pay them, then let them. Every man has a right to earn a living.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln4uj3TA2R1qa733ko1_250.gif

Deberg_1990
04-04-2012, 01:52 PM

I agree...Why doesnt anyone ever complain about young Pro athletes in Tennis, Baseball, Hockey, etc....?

suds79
04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
It would be bad business for the NBA to add any time.

This way at least fans get to have a peek at the Anthony Davis's of the world before going pro. There's some hype around him now.

If they were to extend that time? All the top players would do is just go play ball in Europe (see Brandon Jennings) or something like that before coming over. Then nobody over here would know who these guys are when they're getting drafted.

Keep it the way it is NBA.

teedubya
04-04-2012, 01:59 PM

I agree with that... but very players are sooo good that they can go straight to pro. Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Darryl Dawkins, and a few others...

it needs to be like college baseball... you can go straight to the pros or you go for 3 years of college. No early declaring until after junior year.

I think Stern just wants to keep agents out of high schools.... he mentioned something pertaining to that.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I like the idea of you can go pro out of high school, but if you choose college you are there for 2-3 years.

Fritz88
04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I think Stern just wants to keep agents out of high schools.... he mentioned something pertaining to that.

Uncle Sanduskys?

suds79
04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I like the idea of you can go pro out of high school, but if you choose college you are there for 2-3 years.

But you would agree that doesn't benefit the NBA at all.

IMO it doesn't do the NBA any good to have kids right out of HS go to the pros. It helps the NBA if they pull some fans from those major programs.

How many Kentucky fans will be interested to see how Anthony Davis does in the pros now? Without that? They wouldn't care.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
But you would agree that doesn't benefit the NBA at all.

IMO it doesn't do the NBA any good to have kids right out of HS go to the pros. It helps the NBA if they pull some fans from those major programs.

How many Kentucky fans will be interested to see how Anthony Davis does in the pros now? Without that? They wouldn't care.

I understand. The NBA uses the 1 year rule to basically weed out the young prospects that were drafted high, and failed miserably.

saphojunkie
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Just require that scholarships last a minimum of 3 years. Thus, if a team like Kentucky loses all 5 starters who are freshmen and sophomores they can't fill those scholarships until the players would have been seniors.

It'll even things out so that a team doesn't load up every year with a bunch of 1-and-done players.

Genius.

Bambi
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM

I agree. People leave college early for thousands of reasons.

See no reason why you should restrict athletes.

SnakeXJones
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
It would be bad business for the NBA to add any time.

This way at least fans get to have a peek at the Anthony Davis's of the world before going pro. There's some hype around him now.

If they were to extend that time? All the top players would do is just go play ball in Europe (see Brandon Jennings) or something like that before coming over. Then nobody over here would know who these guys are when they're getting drafted.

Keep it the way it is NBA.Jennings was pretty damn bad in europe

R8RFAN
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
If the NCAA is willing to allow the school to get it's scholarship back and the athlete agrees to pay back the scholarship, I don't see how they can make someone stay...

qabbaan
04-04-2012, 02:37 PM

That only hurts the schools with dead scholarships.

I think it should just be, two years minimum before you can declare.

Saulbadguy
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Just turn NCAA Men's Basketball in to the NBA Development league and be done with it.

Lzen
04-04-2012, 02:42 PM
the age limit......has kept NBA scouts out of high school gyms.

I seriously doubt that.

Demonpenz
04-04-2012, 02:42 PM
They should require them to get a associates degree atleast.

Buehler445
04-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Jennings was pretty damn bad in europe

How did it affect his draft stock?

SnakeXJones
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
How did it affect his draft stock?I'm not saying it did at all i was just pointing it out

Renegade
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Just turn NCAA Men's Basketball in to the NBA Development league and be done with it.

Too bad the NBA didn't fold during the last lockout. This would have been my best case scenerio.

Micjones
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Players shouldn't be restricted from leaving early when their future earning power can be affected by such a restriction.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree. People leave college early for thousands of reasons.

See no reason why you should restrict athletes.

No one is requiring that they go to college or stay there for any amount of time. It is just that the NBA restricts its teams from hiring those kids until they are 19 (and a year out of high school).

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Players shouldn't be restricted from leaving early when their future earning power can be affected by such a restriction.

They CAN leave whenever they want, or they don't ever have to go to college in the first place. I don't know where people are getting this stuff.

The only relevant rule is that the NBA can't hire them until age 19 (and a year out of high school).

BigCatDaddy
04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
So if it's not fair for the NBA to do it then why is it the NFL?

Micjones
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
They CAN leave whenever they want, or they don't ever have to go to college in the first place. I don't know where people are getting this stuff.

The only relevant rule is that the NBA can't hire them until age 19 (and a year out of high school).

What other alternatives are there?
Playing ball in Europe?

suds79
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
So if it's not fair for the NBA to do it then why is it the NFL?

It's not.

Now if it'd be smart to make the jump is a different story. But fair? No.

Demonpenz
04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
They could always join the and 1 mix tape tour

THE PROFESSORRRRR

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
it's COMPLETELY American

jobs have rules that favor them and screw employees all the time.

rich people rule, poor people drool

American way

NBA and College Bball are both better off if players stay 3 years in college.

suds79
04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
NBA and College Bball are both better off if players stay 3 years in college.

How would the NBA be better if someone decided they're not interested in college and played pro ball in Europe for 3 years 1st?

Then they come to the NBA and nobody has heard of them. Thus? no buzz. Now if you could force the kids to go to college, sure the 3 years would be better for the league. But the players have options.

I just don't see a simple solution. I think the current setup is what is best for the NBA. Anything longer and kids would go play pro ball. And I don't really have a problem with one & dones in college. Was Kentucky not compelling to watch this year?

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
How would the NBA be better if someone decided they're not interested in college and played pro ball in Europe for 3 years 1st?

Then they come to the NBA and nobody has heard of them. Thus? no buzz. Now if you could force the kids to go to college, sure the 3 years would be better for the league. But the players have options.

I just don't see a simple solution. I think the current setup is what is best for the NBA. Anything longer and kids would go play pro ball. And I don't really have a problem with one & dones in college. Was Kentucky not compelling to watch this year?
because the players would be more mature and have better fundamentals after 3 years of College. No only that but the players would have a bigger fan base with staying longer in college and a few of those fans might continue to follow them in the NBA.

sure a few would go to europe but a lower number than try and come out early now. But even after going to europe, players will be more mature and more developed. NBA teams won't have to babysit and will know what skill sets they have after playing in Europe.

no doubt ... the NBA would love it if they could get a 3-year rule in without going to court. So with the NCAA.

The NBA wouldn't of started a DEV league if they were so happy about all the n00bs coming out early.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2012, 03:54 PM

This.

qabbaan
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I tend to agree with suds. It would hurt the NBA and help the college game which is why I'd be in favor of it.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I tend to agree with suds. It would hurt the NBA and help the college game which is why I'd be in favor of it.
The NBA clearly doesn't think so or they wouldn't be trying to find a way to get a longer rule in place without going to court.

WilliamTheIrish
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
So by this thought process if Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson sustains a career threatening/ending knee injury, and he makes nothing off KU/UK who has made millions off him/them, while giving them a paltry stipend, you're okay with that? His ability to just to stick and make a 4 year NBA minimum is threatened because universities and fans are selfish and need an ego fix?

An Associates Degree? Look you knuckleheads, check out the majors of every guy who has jumped. It's Communications or some other tripe. Worthless.

Laz' argument of them being better at fundamentals is also a wives tale. Great players can get by without fundamentals. It's their extreme talent that makes them better than all those around them. Tyshawn Taylor is great example. He stayed four years, but he still made as many boneheaded plays as he did last year. But he's a talent. He could stay in college for 8 years and he'll still make the same fundamental mistakes. But he'll also make the explosive play that only talent makes.

To say they can't leave at any time is against all the principles of the American dream in my opinion.

KC_Connection
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
This is such bullshit. It's ridiculous that there is even an age limit at all on these kids going professional in this country, let alone pushing it to age 20.

whoman69
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM

I think it would help the NBA. It would give the NBA a better idea of their potential and would give them a stream of players with better skills.

It would certainly help the college game to have more continuity. It would also lessen the amount of top prospects that right now only go to a few programs.

ArrowheadHawk
04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
It was fine before they screwed it up.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
What other alternatives are there?
Playing ball in Europe?

Playing in Europe, the Harlem Globetrotters, working at McDonalds, or anything they want. Point is that a lot of people are saying that it is unfair that they "have to" go to college or stay there 1 or 2 years, or whatever.

But the truth is that it is not a NCAA rule and no one, not the NBA, the government, or anyone else can require them to go to college. There's one rule at issue--the NBA restricts its teams from hiring a player until he is 19 and 1 year out of high school. That's it. Its the NBA's rule.

Valiant
04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
I agree...Why doesnt anyone ever complain about young Pro athletes in Tennis, Baseball, Hockey, etc....?

They are white.. Or I guess, European, Canadian and Russian..

lcarus
04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
They should just let them go pro when they're 18. They become adults. They should be free to get paid for their service to anyone that wants to pay them for it.

kstater
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
They should just let them go pro when they're 18. They become adults. They should be free to get paid for their service to anyone that wants to pay them for it.

And that's how it is now. The NBA doesn't want to pay them for their services.

saphojunkie
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
This is such bullshit. It's ridiculous that there is even an age limit at all on these kids going professional in this country, let alone pushing it to age 20.

No it isn't at all.

19 year olds can't bartend, yet no one is out complaining about that.

Seriously, why do you even care? Oh poor kids have to stay another year in COLLEGE, which is largely one of the best times of your life, for FREE, where they are treated like ROYALTY.

If they don't like it, they don't have to go to college. They go, because it's the best platform for catching scouts' eyes.

saphojunkie
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Great point. It isn't illegal to play professional basketball at 18. And it isn't collusion against a Union, no more than it is collusion for airlines to only hire pilots with X years of experience.

DrunkBassGuitar
04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
What I have seen is more than likely they open it back up to high schoolers being able to go into the draft but if you don't jump immediately, you have to play at least two years in college.

There is no way they will make kids who don't want to be in college in the first place go yet another extra year. You would see a mass exodus of elite talent heading to Europe immediately. If the kid is good enough, let them go straight to the NBA, don't hold them hostage for two years. Those kids aren't "student-athletes".

Aren't these kids who have to play for free in the NCAA taking away scholarships for kids who may actually want a degree? It seems unfair that Anthony Davis HAS to go to college meanwhile there may be some kid who desperately wants to go to college, but has no means except for a real talent for basketball. It seems incredibly unfair to both the Anthony Davis type and the kid who needs the scholarship.

KC_Connection
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
No it isn't at all.

19 year olds can't bartend, yet no one is out complaining about that.

Putting an age limit on a professional sport is the definition of bullshit. If 17/18 year olds like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James are good enough to play in the best league in the world, they should have that right.

Seriously, why do you even care? Oh poor kids have to stay another year in COLLEGE, which is largely one of the best times of your life, for FREE, where they are treated like ROYALTY.

If they don't like it, they don't have to go to college. They go, because it's the best platform for catching scouts' eyes.
Because it leads to NCAA basketball being a corrupt, exploitative semi-pro league with a bunch of guys who don't want to be there rather than what it was intended to be.

Saul Good
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Aren't these kids who have to play for free in the NCAA taking away scholarships for kids who may actually want a degree? It seems unfair that Anthony Davis HAS to go to college meanwhile there may be some kid who desperately wants to go to college, but has no means except for a real talent for basketball. It seems incredibly unfair to both the Anthony Davis type and the kid who needs the scholarship.

Nobody has to go to college.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
no ... without the money from sports these scholarships wouldn't exist.

in fact, neither would a lot of other college things that are funded by sports.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
maybe the government should get involved and force the NBA to hire certain people.

NBA doesn't deserve to hire their own employees and run their business the way they see fit.

in fact, any business that requires a college degree should be sued

lcarus
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM

I'm just talkin about the absolute phenoms.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Why should these kids make the schools and programs rich instead of themselves when one blown out knee can destroy their earning power?

If you were qualified to make millions of dollars and someone said "No... you're totally qualified and better at your job than most already in the field but you're only 19". Bullshit. Kids advance through school and into careers quickly when they're gifted in that manner... why should athletes not be granted the same courtesy?

chiefzilla1501
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Unamerican?

How many jobs won't even look at your resume if you don't have your bachelors or graduate degree? If a young kid wants to play basketball, go play for some amateur league or hell, open up the D-league for these players. If you want to go through the pros, I think it's great the NBA is asking players to have a few years under the belt. I think it's stupid that an NBA team has to make a multi-million dollar choice on a kid who may not have the maturity or perhaps even the talent to play in the pros.

Mr. Laz
I'm just talkin about the absolute phenoms.

apparently the NBA doesn't think there are enough phenoms to balance out all the 'not really ready' guys that go to the NBA before they are ready.

WhiteWhale
maybe the government should get involved and force the NBA to hire certain people.

NBA doesn't deserve to hire their own employees and run their business the way they see fit.

in fact, any business that requires a college degree should be sued

The problem is more about NCAA athletics and the farce of amateurism.

Stern is simply scratching the back of his free farm league.

DrunkBassGuitar
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Nobody has to go to college.

What other options are there?

The NBA with that rule is essentially saying "You need to play a year of college ball before we hire you." You're right in that they're not explicitly stating that, but I don't see how you can argue that that isn't what they're very strongly implying.

kstater
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Why should these kids make the schools and programs rich instead of themselves when one blown out knee can destroy their earning power?

If you were qualified to make millions of dollars and someone said "No... you're totally qualified and better at your job than most already in the field but you're only 19". Bullshit. Kids advance through school and into careers quickly when they're gifted in that manner... why should athletes not be granted the same courtesy?

Any high school basketball player can choose to not go to college and play professional basketball.

DrunkBassGuitar
04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
no ... without the money from sports these scholarships wouldn't exist.

in fact, neither would a lot of other college things that are funded by sports.

What do you mean? I'm not at all saying get rid of athletic scholarships. I'm saying don't give them to the players who don't want or need to go to school. If you're talented enough to go straight to the pros then that's what you should be able to do.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 07:47 PM
The problem is more about NCAA athletics and the farce of amateurism.

Imo Stern isn't the kind of guy to scratch anyone's back. He is a cutthroat businessman.

imo Stern believes the NBA will be better off if they don't hire young,unpolished basketball players. If they wait a few years the players will be more mature and more skilled.

You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it.

The NBA is a business and should be able to have requirements for employment. Unless the players union gets involved they will probably get it.

We all know that normal rules don't apply to Unions so if they get involved then no telling what happens.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Any high school basketball player can choose to not go to college and play professional basketball.

No, they can't.

The NBA passed a rule in 2005 after eight HS players declared immediately for the draft. You have to be 1 year removed from HS. That's the whole reason for the '1 and done' explosion.

They get lost in the shuffle without.

mnchiefsguy
04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Unamerican?

How many jobs won't even look at your resume if you don't have your bachelors or graduate degree? If a young kid wants to play basketball, go play for some amateur league or hell, open up the D-league for these players. If you want to go through the pros, I think it's great the NBA is asking players to have a few years under the belt. I think it's stupid that an NBA team has to make a multi-million dollar choice on a kid who may not have the maturity or perhaps even the talent to play in the pros.

The jobs might not look at your resume, but at least you have the opportunity to apply. NBA teams are not obligated to draft kids out of high school or underclassman. They can draft anyone they want who is unclaimed in the draft. Why should a kid go play in the D-League and potentially blow out his knees when he could be doing it in the NBA?

The NCAA institutions make millions upon millions off of these kids. If they are going to require them to stay in school before getting drafted, then the NCAA should be legally required to provide players with insurance against career ending injury. Such insurance costs around $20,000 or more per year, and most college players cannot afford such premiums.

For the kids who can can get into the NBA and make millions, it is the opportunity to realize the American Dream, and a chance to change their family tree forever. I can see no logical reason to deprive them of that chance.

Look at Thomas Robinson for example...if he had performed last year as a sophomore like he did this year as a junior, would you be in favor of denying him the opportunity of going to the NBA, and making him play another year at KU, knowing his family situation?

This is America, and these players should be free to play in the NBA if they wish too, and if an NBA team wishes to sign them to a contract. Period. Is it good for the game of basketball? Maybe, maybe not. I am not talking about what is best for the game, or even the fans. I am talking about basic rights of young men to do a job and provide for themselves. That is fundamental to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

kstater
04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
No, they can't.

The NBA passed a rule in 2005 after eight HS players declared immediately for the draft. You have to be 1 year removed from HS. That's the whole reason for the '1 and done' explosion.

Where did I say they could play in the NBA?

kstater
04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
This is America, and these players should be free to play in the NBA if they wish too, and if an NBA team wishes to sign them to a contract. Period. Is it good for the game of basketball? Maybe, maybe not. I am not talking about what is best for the game, or even the fans. I am talking about basic rights of young men to do a job and provide for themselves. That is fundamental to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

All 30 NBA teams have said they don't wish to have 18 year old employees.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Imo Stern isn't the kind of guy to scratch anyone's back. He is a cutthroat businessman.

imo Stern believes the NBA will be better off if they don't hire young,unpolished basketball players. If they wait a few years the players will be more mature and more skilled.

You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it.

The NBA is a business and should be able to have requirements for employment. Unless the players union gets involved they will probably get it.

We all know that normal rules don't apply to Unions so if they get involved then no telling what happens.

I agree with the stance that Stern has in that the influx of raw and young talent hurts many potential NBA players who end up going to D leagues where they don't get the kind of coaching the could from a big college program.

However my belief that big money college athletes are horribly exploited prevents me from favoring any system that forces a player into that establishment. I'm not saying they should pay their athletes, but they shouldn't disallow their players from getting paid for their likeness and such. Why shouldn't an NCAA athlete hire an agent? At least let players make money off of themselves since the college is sure as shit making a ton of money off of them. Many of these kids rush to the NBA for the money, because they grew up poor and they want to help their families. Does that really tarnish the game? How about this? Let players enter college if they declare and don't get drafted. Or just let guys declare every year and give the NBA full dips on the whole pool of talent, and those who don't get picked can stay in school. Does that tarnish the product?

I'm not a fan of the last decade where players just started rushing to the NBA. I think they're overlooking the great things many of these coaches can teach them in the NCAA level. I do think this trend is hurting both the NCAA and NBA products as well.

Just for the sake of discussion though what kind of options would be better, and what are some of the potential drawbacks of them?

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 08:09 PM
All 30 NBA teams have said they don't wish to have 18 year old employees.

Yet in 2005 they drafted eight of them. Mostly because of NCAA rules that make it an all or nothing decision for the teams involved.

chiefzilla1501
04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
The jobs might not look at your resume, but at least you have the opportunity to apply. NBA teams are not obligated to draft kids out of high school or underclassman. They can draft anyone they want who is unclaimed in the draft. Why should a kid go play in the D-League and potentially blow out his knees when he could be doing it in the NBA?

The NCAA institutions make millions upon millions off of these kids. If they are going to require them to stay in school before getting drafted, then the NCAA should be legally required to provide players with insurance against career ending injury. Such insurance costs around $20,000 or more per year, and most college players cannot afford such premiums.

For the kids who can can get into the NBA and make millions, it is the opportunity to realize the American Dream, and a chance to change their family tree forever. I can see no logical reason to deprive them of that chance.

Look at Thomas Robinson for example...if he had performed last year as a sophomore like he did this year as a junior, would you be in favor of denying him the opportunity of going to the NBA, and making him play another year at KU, knowing his family situation?

The NFL doesn't let players declare early. And that's a sport where players get injured all the time. I would hate to see it any other way. I love the idea. While you have some phenoms who play unbelievable right away, you get a ton of players like Selby who completely underachieved their potential because they left too soon. And if you actually look at the list, you see way too many insanely talented players that just flat-out busted in the NBA because they left way too soon. You get selfish players who don't know how to play team basketball. You get immature players who have no ability to handle the multi-million dollar contracts forked over to them.

If players want to earn money right away in a competitive league, then go to Europe or the D-league. If they don't like it, tough shit. It's on-the-job training.

In return, college basketball becomes a lot more competitive and the NBA doesn't have a huge chunk of ultra-talented players fizzle out because they're not ready.

kstater
04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Yet in 2005 they drafted eight of them. Mostly because of NCAA rules that make it an all or nothing decision for the teams involved.

Which NCAA rule are you referring to?

chiefzilla1501
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree with the stance that Stern has in that the influx of raw and young talent hurts many potential NBA players who end up going to D leagues where they don't get the kind of coaching the could from a big college program.

However my belief that big money college athletes are horribly exploited prevents me from favoring any system that forces a player into that establishment. I'm not saying they should pay their athletes, but they shouldn't disallow their players from getting paid for their likeness and such. Why shouldn't an NCAA athlete hire an agent? At least let players make money off of themselves since the college is sure as shit making a ton of money off of them. Many of these kids rush to the NBA for the money, because they grew up poor and they want to help their families. Does that really tarnish the game? How about this? Let players enter college if they declare and don't get drafted. Or just let guys declare every year and give the NBA full dips on the whole pool of talent, and those who don't get picked can stay in school. Does that tarnish the product?

I'm not a fan of the last decade where players just started rushing to the NBA. I think they're overlooking the great things many of these coaches can teach them in the NCAA level. I do think this trend is hurting both the NCAA and NBA products as well.

Just for the sake of discussion though what kind of options would be better, and what are some of the potential drawbacks of them?

I fully agree with this. I fully support Stern's push for this, but I do wish someone would step in and fix the fucked up, crooked NCAA system. You're right, it is absolutely exploitation.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Who are these kids kids who "have to play for free" and who is making them? THEY DON'T HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Which NCAA rule are you referring to?

What happens to a player's NCAA eligibility if he enters the NBA draft?

Players can come back once, but there are a lot of contingencies on that.

dirk digler
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM

I agree with a lot of what you said here. I think the kids should have an option to go back if they don't get drafted. I also agree with Stern that they should move the age up another year or so like the NFL.

I don't see many people bitching about how the NFL handles the age issue the NBA shouldn't be any different.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
So what's the "Huge" news....?

Did I miss it?

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said here. I think the kids should have an option to go back if they don't get drafted. I also agree with Stern that they should move the age up another year or so like the NFL.

I don't see many people bitching about how the NFL handles the age issue the NBA shouldn't be any different.

I think the physical maturity aspect is a bigger factor in the incredibly physical NFL game. Most basketball players are skinny and tall as hell anyway so it's not really a big concern for the same reasons in my eyes. I'm not sure there's any high school player who could come to the NFL and play at a high level, but it's been proven to happen in the NBA.

cosmo20002
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

I don't see why he would feel the need to scratch their back. Frankly, colleges might prefer not to have to deal with the one-and-done players.

Stern represents the owners, and I think they prefer not to have to make decisions on and pay big contracts to high schoolers. No matter how good they are in high school, it is a lot easier to evaluate them and their pro potential while playing at the college level.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
How about the baseball rules?

Players can apply out of high school and if they're not ready NBA teams can pass on them and they can choose a college but must stay there for 3 years?

Wouldn't that solve a lot of these problems while still allowing the exceptions to make an immediate splash?