PDA

View Full Version : Life Left-lane Slowpokes Drive you Crazy?

Lzen
04-04-2012, 02:57 PM
http://discover.aaa.com/default.aspx?node=CarDriving/Monthly&

The words ‘move over’ – even if readable in the rearview mirror – may not mean much to them, but a ticket might. Some states are cracking down. In these days of longer commutes and simmering tempers, nothing seems to set off already-testy motorists like the left-lane camper – the guy/gal who drives in the passing lane and bars faster drivers from easily passing. Web sites have cropped up to educate other drivers, or to vent. There’s a (somewhat painful) YouTube song called “Keep Right.”

Even bigwigs get frustrated. Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell, weary of having his limo slowed down by such left-lane pokies, ordered an aid to have the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission install signs a few years ago reading “Keep Right, Pass Left. It’s the Law.” And now some states are cracking down on left-lane campers, both to keep traffic moving and to tamp down the road rage that goes from zero – to – 60 faster than ever before. That’s not just a pretext. Last year, a driver was arrested on Interstate 79 outside Pittsburgh after allegedly brandishing a semiautomatic pistol at a driver who was on his tail.

You could get a Ticket ~ Some states didn’t allow left-lane lingering but didn’t enforce the law. Now they are. At the start of last summer, the Washington State Patrol began pulling people over for violating the state’s left-lane law, which prohibits “impeding the flow of other traffic.” This is a real big hot-button topic for the public at large right now; there’ve been a lot of complaints from drivers who’ve had to deal with left-lane campers. So far authorities have been gentle with the $124 ticket; the drivers stopped were given verbal warnings. Last year, news outlets reported that Oklahoma was bolstering enforcement of its left-lane law as well.
Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports that they deal with the left-lane drivers going too slowly weekly; they’ve issued more warnings than tickets. Insurers haven’t gotten aggressive yet; but this kind of ticket has the potential to raise rates. Any moving violation that applies points to a driver’s record could affect that driver’s car insurance rates. And because left-lane driving would be considered as such an infraction, this would be taken into account when reviewing a driver’s policy.

What’s the law in your state? The laws vary widely. A few states – for instance, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts and New Jersey – permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. Georgia, Colorado and Louisiana follow the Uniform Vehicle Code, requiring drivers to keep right if they’re going slower than the speed of traffic. Wyoming prohibits blocking the far left lane of a highway “for a prolonged period,” though it adds that the traffic should be “at a lawful rate of speed.” In Arkansas and South Dakota, vehicles don’t have to stay right. Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio vehicles can drive in the left lane so long as they’re moving at the speed limit.

Florida is trying to join in: Lawmakers reintroduced a Road Rage Reduction Act in 2008, requiring motorists to stay out of the left lane on interstate highways except when passing. It passed the legislature in 2005 but was vetoed by Gov. Jeb Bush, who questioned whether it was based on sound research.

It’s no wonder drivers can be confused and often frustrated.
One of my biggest Pet Peeves – One of those exasperated drivers in your rearview mirror might be Eli Dozier. “That’s one of my biggest pet peeves in the world, is when people stay in the left lane. They’re not passing, they’ve got people behind them, trying to go around, and they just cruise,” says Dozier, 31, and a stay-at-home dad. “It’s probably the most uncourteous thing you can do,” he says, adding that it’s “obviously” unsafe. “I’m a fast driver,” Dozier allows. “But if I’m not passing, I don’t use that left lane at all.” So what’s a frustrated motorist to do?

Dozier heard in a chat room about some windshield decals that said “Slower Traffic,” with an arrow pointing to the right-hand lane, printed backward in large letters for reading in a rearview mirror. “And so I immediately ordered one. I jumped on it.” He loves the thing. “Most people, its just inattentiveness” that keeps them in the passing lane, Dozier says. “Most people, when you pass them, they’ll give you a wave, they’re thankful” for the reminder.

At lease, he says, women tend to be. Men sometimes take Dozier’s sticker as an affront and will retaliate by slowing down, he says. There have been some middle fingers, some choice words. And then, Dozier says, “I have been known to show them how good the back of my car looks.” At very close range. Which only exacerbates the situation. Overall, through, both he and his wife are delighted with the results, he says. They recently bought her a Dodge Ram 1500 with a quad cab and they’ve ordered a decal like his for it.

Pennsylvania authorities also find that reminders do work. “Anecdotally,” says Carl DeFebo of the Turnpike Authority, “you do see a lot less people . . . enjoying the weather” in the passing lane since 25 signs went up on the turnpike in recent years. It probably helps that “sometimes our police will actually enforce this,” DeFebo adds, handing out warnings or tickets that add up to $108.

Courtesy Counts – The creator of those stickers, J.A. Tosti, is also director and founder of Left Lane Drivers of America. “What we’re seeking to do is raise awareness,” he explains. Tosti said aggression only aggravates other drivers. For him, response to the decal on his car has always been positive and pleasant – in large part because he is a patient, non-tailgating driver. “It’s amazing how effective the stickers are,” he says. “On one trip from Portland to Seattle, I felt at time like I was sweeping the left lane with a broom.” A faster, more courteous – well-swept – highway? Sounds like something most folks could live with.

Defending the driving – But not everyone agrees with those who tell them to get out of the way. “The left lane is for passing . . . not a license to speed till you kill someone,” wrote a contributor to Motor Trend’s blog. “Grow up. If I’m in the left lane doing 65 while the speed limit’s 80, I’ll move over. But if I’m doing the speed limit, and someone decides he’s Mario Andretti … he/she can go around me and break the law further up the highway.”

Washington state law says it is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic. There is a misunderstanding, a lot of people think that if they’re going at or near the speed limit they don’t have to get out of the lane. And the left-lane driving debate goes on.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
My horn went out and I'm getting ready to replace it. 118db should be enough to get hold o someone's attention in the left (fast) lane that is keeping pace with traffic.

loochy
04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
What I hate even worse than the slow drivers are the drivers that get in the left lane and proceed to go EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED AS THE VEHICLE IN THE LANE BESIDE IT. Nobody can pass at all. At least with the slow cars you can get an opening to go around.

RockChalk
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Anyone who drives a Prius fits into this "left-lane slowpoke" category

Frazod
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
People who drive slow in the fast lane need TO FUCKING DIE. :#

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 03:01 PM
People who drive slow in the fast lane need TO ****ING DIE. :#

or at the very least deported

Frazod
04-04-2012, 03:05 PM
or at the very least deported

No. THEY NEED TO DIE.

The last ticket I got was because of one of these pricks. For miles this cheesehead cocksucker stayed right next to the car in the right lane. I tapped the brights, honked, nothing worked. Eventually I just left the brights on, and the fucker still didn't move. Finally the guy in the right lane slowed up a bit (I'm sure he thought the guy was a dick too) and I gunned it and passed the offending car on the right. Then, of course, he speeds up, so I speed up - and as my luck would have it, just as I passed him I got nailed by a Wisconsin cop. 91 in a 65, $300 ticket. Have I ever mentioned that I hate Wisconsin and every cocksucker in it?

I regret not writing the guy's plate number down, but it's probably just as well. I would have hunted him down.

Demonpenz
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I try to drive as cautious as I can, I try to give room for aggresive drivers. I forget what it is like to drive with someone who is an aggresive driver. It is scary as hell.

L.A. Chieffan
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I usually drive fast but if some loser is up my ass they can expect me to pace the car next to me

loochy
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
No. THEY NEED TO DIE.

The last ticket I got was because of one of these pricks. For miles this cheesehead cocksucker stayed right next to the car in the right lane. I tapped the brights, honked, nothing worked. Eventually I just left the brights on, and the fucker still didn't move. Finally the guy in the right lane slowed up a bit (I'm sure he thought the guy was a dick too) and I gunned it and passed the offending car on the right. Then, of course, he speeds up, so I speed up - and as my luck would have it, just as I passed him I got nailed by a Wisconsin cop. 91 in a 65, $300 ticket. Have I ever mentioned that I hate Wisconsin and every cocksucker in it?

I regret not writing the guy's plate number down, but it's probably just as well. I would have hunted him down.

Well if someone was honking and carrying on like that, I'd slow down and speed up on purpose too.

L.A. Chieffan
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Well if someone was honking and carrying on like that, I'd slow down and speed up on purpose too.

Indeed 91 is too fast

Hays
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Truck drivers are just as bad, they try to pass but can never get around the other truck.

Predarat
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Left Lane slowpokes make me want to breach the putting out a bowl of antifreeze and inject it straight into thier system.

That is all.

L.A. Chieffan
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
When I'm driving around town I always cruise especially if I'm coming up to a light. People freak and speed up around me and then have to slam their breaks at the red while I lulz on by them.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM

I did that after several minutes. It's not like I rode up on his ass at 90 MPH with the horn blaring.

Generally, people driving slow in the left lane are just, to coin a John Stossel phrase, obliviots. They're just morons, not deliberately fucking with you. As soon as they realize you're behind them, 95% will (eventually) move over into the other lane.

But 5% are just fucking evil scumbags, and they're camping in the left lane deliberately. I would make it a death penalty offense, and I'm not fucking kidding.

jiveturkey
04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Has anyone mentioned Asians? It's not just the Chinese these days. People from India drive like their afraid of the gas pedal.

It's not a cow Ramesh! Punch it!

They come from a country where everyone drives like the lower half of their body is on fire and then they come here and relax on our roads.

And don't get me started on the mini-van driving obese. They're busy juggling cheese burgers and can't even maintain a straight line.

"I'm fresh out of snacks I'm going to cross 3 lanes in one move and exit, cause I can't pass a QuickTrip".

RaiderH8r
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
People who drive slow in the fast lane need TO ****ING DIE. :#

Mormon Roadblocks are some bullshit.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Not me. I'm usually driving 10 over the limit.

RockChalk
04-04-2012, 03:41 PM
"I'm fresh out of snacks I'm going to cross 3 lanes in one move and exit, cause I can't pass a QuickTrip".

ROFL

The Dawg
04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
No. THEY NEED TO DIE.

The last ticket I got was because of one of these pricks. For miles this cheesehead one who sucks the penis stayed right next to the car in the right lane. I tapped the brights, honked, nothing worked. Eventually I just left the brights on, and the ****er still didn't move. Finally the guy in the right lane slowed up a bit (I'm sure he thought the guy was a dick too) and I gunned it and passed the offending car on the right. Then, of course, he speeds up, so I speed up - and as my luck would have it, just as I passed him I got nailed by a Wisconsin cop. 91 in a 65, $300 ticket. Have I ever mentioned that I hate Wisconsin and every one who sucks the penis in it?

:spock:

Frazod
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM

I'm sorry, is there some part of that you need explained? Should I use smaller words?

loochy
04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry, is there some part of that you need explained? Should I use smaller words?

The Dawg
Has anyone mentioned Asians? It's not just the Chinese these days. People from India drive like their afraid of the gas pedal.

It's not a cow Ramesh! Punch it!

They come from a country where everyone drives like the lower half of their body is on fire and then they come here and relax on our roads.

And don't get me started on the mini-van driving obese. They're busy juggling cheese burgers and can't even maintain a straight line.

Where are the grammar police????? EDUCATE THIS POSTER! DO IT NOW!

Frazod

Marcellus
I have ranted on this very thing here numerous times and usually deal with at least one idiot in the left lane every day on my way to or from work.

The Dawg
04-04-2012, 03:49 PM

No. Reading your statement just made me question your intelligence. And you were going to hunt the guy down if you got his license plate # ?

I'm glad you got a ticket. It's a shame the cop didn't take your ass to jail for going so fast.

verbaljitsu
04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
true story:

One of my partners gets a phone call from someone who received a ticket for driving too slow in the left lane.

Caller: "This is totally unfair. I'm a safe driver! They should be writing tickets to all the people that passed me, not to me!"

Partner: "sir, in my career I've defended murderers, rapists, wife beaters, drug dealers, and every brand of stupid kid you can think of. But I don't defend scumbags who drive too slow in the left lane. You've got to draw the line somewhere." Click.

Marcellus
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
true story:

One of my partners gets a phone call from someone who received a ticket for driving too slow in the left lane.

Caller: "This is totally unfair. I'm a safe driver! They should be writing tickets to all the people that passed me, not to me!"

Partner: "sir, in my career I've defended murderers, rapists, wife beaters, drug dealers, and every brand of stupid kid you can think of. But I don't defend scumbags who drive too slow in the left lane. You've got to draw the line somewhere." Click.

LMAO Bravo.

The Dawg
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
true story:

It's dangerous driving slow in the passing lane. I'm sure there are many, many, accidents caused by this type of driving.

verbaljitsu
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
It's dangerous driving slow in the passing lane. I'm sure there are many, many, accidents caused by this type of driving.

I absolutely agree with you. It is a direct cause of accidents but it also indirectly contributes to so many accidents in ways that would be very difficult to measure.

If you figure that the leading causes of accidents are in some order:
inattention/boredom, frustration, sleepiness, tardiness, excessive speed for conditions, etc.

Well, driving too slow in the fast lane causes an awful lot of that, even if indirectly.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 04:17 PM
No. Reading your statement just made me question your intelligence. And you were going to hunt the guy down if you got his license plate # ?

I'm glad you got a ticket. It's a shame the cop didn't take your ass to jail for going so fast.

I certainly question your intelligence, douche. I guess you missed the part where I said he sped up as I was going around him. So as I was passing him at 90, he had gone from around 50 (in a 65 zone) to over 80. And my typical cruising speed is generally about 7 over the limit. He was complete prick.

I guess we don't need to ask about your driving habits, do we, Nancy?

lcarus
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
In Tulsa, it's fucking everyone in every lane that drives waaayyyy too slow.

KChiefer
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
What I hate even worse than the slow drivers are the drivers that get in the left lane and proceed to go EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED AS THE VEHICLE IN THE LANE BESIDE IT. Nobody can pass at all. At least with the slow cars you can get an opening to go around.

because passing on the right is safe and a real joy! LLSDs Can't pass 'em, can't shoot their tires.

Bwana
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep, people that do that, are a complete waste of skin.

Amnorix
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes, very annoying.

Dunno about other states, but here in Mass. this part is never, ever enforced that I have ever seen.

What’s the law in your state? The laws vary widely. A few states – for instance, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts and New Jersey – permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. Georgia, Colorado and Louisiana follow the Uniform Vehicle Code, requiring drivers to keep right if they’re going slower than the speed of traffic.

That said, Massachusetts is a great state for driving at reasonable speeds. Most people know how to drive (people who complain about Massachusetts drivers are from cow country and can't handle crazy city traffic, which I can't blame them for), and Mass State Troopers are awesome. Especially compared to Connecticut, which sucks.

Around here, my usual cruising speed is 78 mph -- not QUITE 80, and I haven't gotten a ticket or warning in ages. You really need to be doing 80+ and/or be weaving through traffic at a high rate of speed before you'll get pulled over. Cops here care more about drunk or reckless driving than speeding.

suzzer99
04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
CA is so annoying. Most people are used to city driving where it's so crowded it really doesn't matter anyway. But then when they do get on an open road I'd say 4 out of 5 of them obviously have no idea slower traffic is supposed to yield in the left lane.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I hate "highway etiquette" -- especially when I'm driving home on 152 going 75 (10 over the speed limit) and people are on my ass in the left lane. You want to drive 85 and 90 in a 65? Pass me on the shoulder, I'm not moving.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
CA is so annoying. Most people are used to city driving where it's so crowded it really doesn't matter anyway. But then when they do get on an open road I'd say 4 out of 5 of them obviously have no idea slower traffic is supposed to yield in the left lane.

California has the nastiest drivers I've ever seen. Whether it was blocking traffic by driving too slow, deliberately cutting people off or speeding up just enough to keep people with their blinkers on from changing lanes, it almost seemed like they were getting paid to be pricks. The drive between Modesto and Sacramento was one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had behind the wheel.

DJay23
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
PA has a law but I've never heard of it being enforced. I used to drive on I-80 for part of my commute and the number of people who won't get out of the way has grown in the last few years and is really surprising. I've started taking a longer route through less traveled roads to get to work because of it. I can't imagine how frustrated truckers must be.

Valiant
04-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Hell what I see all the time.. Come up to a car going 60 in left lane, cars in right lane doing 59... As 60mph car in left lane finally passes and does not get over I still have to wait, then forced to get in the right lane to pass.. As I do this, 60mph car speeds up to 80-85 so they do not get passed, then slows back down to barely pass traffic...

Or the assholes who are going all slow in the right lane 5-6 cars deep, see you getting ready to pass in the left lane and then decided to pass going 1mph faster.. What should of taken 5 seconds to pass now takes 1-2miles..

Valiant
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I hate "highway etiquette" -- especially when I'm driving home on 152 going 75 (10 over the speed limit) and people are on my ass in the left lane. You want to drive 85 and 90 in a 65? Pass me on the shoulder, I'm not moving.

And here are the type of pricks people are talking about.. right lane is doing 70-75, but you would rather just hold back traffic in the left lane and not pass.. No, it is cool, create a congestion instead of just getting over and going with the slower traffic..

Donger
04-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Maybe NSFW language

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J-goW15AwzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief
04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
I drive a Nissan Frontier and when people do that, I usually return the courtesy by putting my brights on until they get the picture.

I actually love it when they put their arms up like "what's that for?"

Get a clue, dummy. It's illegal to pass on the right, so when you are going less than the speed limit in the left lane, you make the road more dangerous for those with a limited amount of time to get where they going.

So, I just return the favor.

whoman69
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't drive in Iowa. Slow people in the left lane all the time. I also get ticked when I'm driving at or over the limit and people come up on my ass trying to force me to get over when I'm trying to pass someone else. I'll get over when I'm done passing.

whoman69
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
In Europe people will blink their lights, which is illegal over there too. Had one time where I was getting up to speed trying to pass a very slow driver and a Ferrarri comes up from behind wanting me to get over when I was still beside the other car. Luckily the crazy idiot was able to slow down.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
As long as people in the left lane drive at least 5 or 6 over, I'm fine. If you are someone who wants to drive 15 over, too bad, wait for your chance to slalom-ski around me on your way to getting a ticket 10 miles down the road.

If you aren't going at least 5-6 over and the right lane is not impossibly clogged up, you are pissing off everyone behind you.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
And here are the type of pricks people are talking about.. right lane is doing 70-75, but you would rather just hold back traffic in the left lane and not pass.. No, it is cool, create a congestion instead of just getting over and going with the slower traffic..

As I'm driving 10 over the limit, the right lane is often cluttered with people doing 65-70. I'm not going out of my way to slow down to get over in the right lane so some dude can drive 90 down the highway.

Nope. Don't care. Maybe people should plan better and not always be in such a rush? Going 15-20-25 over the speed limit is getting ridiculous. I'm 25 years old and when I'm going 10 over, hell, even 15 over sometimes, I feel like a god damn grandpa.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Last year, a driver was arrested on Interstate 79 outside Pittsburgh after allegedly brandishing a semiautomatic pistol at a driver who was on his tail.

Also, this hilarious bit of unnecessary detail in the article is silly.

"semiautomatic pistol", AKA almost every damned modern handgun in the country. They always say "semiautomatic" because it makes it sound scarey and menacing.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
As I'm driving 10 over the limit, the right lane is often cluttered with people doing 65-70. I'm not going out of my way to slow down to get over in the right lane so some dude can drive 90 down the highway.

Nope. Don't care. Maybe people should plan better and not always be in such a rush? Going 15-20-25 over the speed limit is getting ridiculous. I'm 25 years old and when I'm going 10 over, hell, even 15 over sometimes, I feel like a god damn grandpa.

Ditto. If I'm going over the speed limit, no one has a right to bitch. If I'm in the right lane, I'll get to someone driving right at the limit or under every half mile, and I don't want to switch back and forth every other minute.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM

Ditto. If I'm going over the speed limit, no one has a right to bitch. If I'm in the right lane, I'll get to someone driving right at the limit or under every half mile, and I don't want to switch back and forth every other minute.

Exactly. I agree with you entirely.

Shag
04-04-2012, 07:39 PM

As long as people in the left lane drive at least 5 or 6 over, I'm fine. If you are someone who wants to drive 15 over, too bad, wait for your chance to slalom-ski around me on your way to getting a ticket 10 miles down the road.

If you aren't going at least 5-6 over and the right lane is not impossibly clogged up, you are pissing off everyone behind you.

It's not your job to police the speed of traffic in the left lane. If someone comes up behind you going faster, move your ass over. Once they've passed, you can get back in the left if you need to pass other vehicles.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
It's not your job to police the speed of traffic in the left lane. If someone comes up behind you going faster, move your ass over. Once they've passed, you can get back in the left if you need to pass other vehicles.

I have an issue with that. As I'm driving 75 in a 65 in the left lane, let's say the right lane is moving steadily at 65.
A guy comes up on my ass quick as I'm going 75, am I expected to slow down excessively just to get over in the right lane to let him pass by? And then when I'm in the right lane, how long is it going to be before I'm able to get back into the left lane?

Nope, too much touble. I'm going to continue to drive a casual 10mph over the limit and if you want to pass, you can find some way to do it.

Bugeater
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm with the n00b on this one, if I'm already going 10 over then I'm not going to be in any hurry to get out of the way for someone going 15-20 over. They're endangering everyone on the road at those speeds.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
I would love to know why most women can't grasp the fast lane concept.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't care what speed someone is traveling. If it's faster than you, get the f out of the way.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM

No.

I'm not trying to police anything, you want to drive 150 mph, fine. I'm on the left because I don't want to go left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right switching back and forth to infinite all the way to my destination. I'm driving over the speed limit. Don't like it? Tough, go find a 3 or 4-lane highway.

Shag
04-04-2012, 08:27 PM
No.

I'm not trying to police anything, you want to drive 150 mph, fine. I'm on the left because I don't want to go left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right switching back and forth to infinite all the way to my destination. I'm driving over the speed limit. Don't like it? Tough, go find a 3 or 4-lane highway.

Yet, you say anyone driving in the left lane not going at least 5-6 mph over the limit is pissing off everyone behind them. Who are you do decide that 5-6 is the minimum, and 10 is the max for appropriate left lane travel? I hope you don't get pissed at the guy doing 1mph over the limit in the left lane - after all, he's going over the speed limit, and probably doesn't want to go left-right-left-right-left-right all the way to their destination.

Bugeater
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
The thing is, if you're going 15-20 over, you're exceeding the speeds the roads are designed to be safely traveled on. Hell if you're doing that on a rural interstate in Nebraska you're probably exceeding your driving skills as well.

headsnap
04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Nope, too much touble. I'm going to continue to drive a casual 10mph over the limit and wait until there is a break in the right hand lane that I can move over conveniently to let you pass.

fyp asswipé...

alnorth
04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Yet, you say anyone driving in the left lane not going at least 5-6 mph over the limit is pissing off everyone behind them. Who are you do decide that 5-6 is the minimum, and 10 is the max for appropriate left lane travel? I hope you don't get pissed at the guy doing 1mph over the limit in the left lane - after all, he's going over the speed limit, and probably doesn't want to go left-right-left-right-left-right all the way to their destination.

Cultural norm. Most people agree that at least 5 or 6 over is the norm on the left lane. The 15-over people may disagree, but thats just too damned bad. There aren't that many of them, obviously, given the average speed in a typical 2-lane highway.

headsnap
04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Cultural norm. Most people agree that at least 5 or 6 over is the norm on the left lane. The 15-over people may disagree, but thats just too damned bad. There aren't that many of them, obviously, given the average speed in a typical 2-lane highway.

5 or 6 is your norm, 9 is mine... now move over asshole!!!!

alnorth
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM

No. Wait till the right lane clears. If it is clear, YOU go there.

headsnap
04-04-2012, 08:59 PM

SERIOUSLY?!?!?

apparently you are the same person on the road as the one you are in DC... :shake:

headsnap
04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
If you are hanging out in the left hand lane when the right is clear you are a prick... no ifs ands or buts about it!!!!

Brock
04-04-2012, 09:01 PM

The fuck? If you're not passing, get in the right lane.

Shag
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM

ROFL Whatever makes you sleep better at night...

-King-
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I go at least 5-10 over the limit no matter what lane I'm on. 65 is just to slow even if you're in the right lane.

Earthling
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Valiant
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
If you are hanging out in the left hand lane when the right is clear you are a prick... no ifs ands or buts about it!!!!

No shit.. "well I do not want to zig back and forth" Well if you are having to do it that much, then obviously the norm is faster passing in the left lane and not your style..

I drive fast and I barely pass the rightlane cars on 152.. You know why I drive 80? So I can pass them quickly and not tie up fucking traffic.. It is all these assholes who barely pass causing the problems..

Shit a couple weeks ago I was doing 80, some guy came blaring up on me, probably doing a 100.. You know what I did? I got over so he could keep going, then got back over.. It is not fucking rocket science..

It is fuckign stupid to barely pass.. If the right hand lane is all doing 70 and you want to do 72 dont pass.. Those cars will be gone in seconds, but for some reason you want it to take minutes. The left lane is for passing cars in the right lane swiftly..

And, it always seems to be the people that barely pass or never get into the right hand lane when they need to, don't know how to use a blinker either..

I think it is all those cunts from Liberty tying up 152.. Them and Lees Summit people are the new Overland Park assholes of Missouri..

Valiant
04-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I go at least 5-10 over the limit no matter what lane I'm on. 65 is just to slow even if you're in the right lane.

I am generally 10 over unless I am coming up to cars in the right hand lane, then I speed up so I can pass them faster.. They always seem to want to get over in front of them if you are not blowing past them..

I am also thinking of adding a dash cam to my truck, because most of the time the people barely passing are talking on their phone or throwing trash out the window.. I figured send the video to the local PD and see if I can get some warning issued..

But I am biased.. I hate people driving slow in the left lane.. Hell when I am in right lane I go with the traffic unless you have someone doing like 35 on the highway..

Earthling
04-04-2012, 09:39 PM

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 09:41 PM
I usually drive fast but if some loser is up my ass they can expect me to pace the car next to me

They wouldn't be up your ass if you would have moved your ass like you're supposed to.

Earthling
04-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Earthling
04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
The ****? If you're not passing, get in the right lane.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Exactly the kind of thinking that pisses people off.

It is WRONG. There's NO REASON why anyone should have to pass an idiot in the right lane.

Earthling
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Should be pretty clear how I stand on this one.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
No.

Someone needs to seriously hit you in the ass.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
As someone who has driven on the autobahn it was apparent that not only do Germans know how to make cars...they also know how to drive them.

RJ
04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Makes sense on the interstate. But around town there is no "fast lane", cause sometimes people have to make a left turn. Which is really not being unreasonable. The need to occasionally turn shouldn't piss anyone off too terribly much.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I stay out of the passing lane except to pass. If I'm passing and someone comes up behind me going faster, I'll speed up a bit to get out of his way, but only so much. I'm not getting a big fat ticket just so some douche can barrel down the road at 100 MPH.

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
There are times I do end up slowing down people in the left lane when I'm going over the limit, I just wait till I get passed the line of cars and move over. If moving over is too much work for you, you should take a bus. The way I look at it, I've been in situations where I've been in a hurry for a reason, so I'd rather resist being a hypocrite when possible. Though I know lots of people completely lack empathy.

The only people that tick me off are the ones that speed up or slow down to whatever speed you are going, though my real issue is just trying to get away from someone who is that much of an ass.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
The only people that tick me off are the ones that speed up or slow down to whatever speed you are going, though my real issue is just trying to get away from someone who is that much of an ass.

Idiots who can't maintain a constant speed annoy the crap out of me. I'll pass somebody, get in the right lane, and a minute later they speed up to pass me, then slow down again. Rinse and repeat. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people who do that? I'm sure that Maxima has cruise control, dumbass. USE IT.

Bugeater
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
As someone who has driven on the autobahn it was apparent that not only do Germans know how to make cars...they also know how to drive them.
That's because you have to actually know how to drive to get a license over there.

qabbaan
04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Much more annoying to me are people who don't plan for their exits and all of a sudden make a big emergency of needing to crowd in front of you so they don't miss it.

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I stay out of the passing lane except to pass. If I'm passing and someone comes up behind me going faster, I'll speed up a bit to get out of his way, but only so much. I'm not getting a big fat ticket just so some douche can barrel down the road at 100 MPH.
yup, I'll bump up a couple mph on occasion to let some people pass. It isn't like putting in a couple clicks on the cruise control is really any work on my part to be a little polite. I'll stick with my bus statement, if a little courtesy on the road is too much work for you then you should just stick your lazy butt on a bus.

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Idiots who can't maintain a constant speed annoy the crap out of me. I'll pass somebody, get in the right lane, and a minute later they speed up to pass me, then slow down again. Rinse and repeat. Seriously, what the **** is wrong with people who do that? I'm sure that Maxima has cruise control, dumbass. USE IT.
Yeah, it used to make me mad, but like I said, now the biggest thing is trying to figure out how to get away from them so I can just cruise instead of a game of leap frog.

Bugeater
04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
yup, I'll bump up a couple mph on occasion to let some people pass. It isn't like putting in a couple clicks on the cruise control is really any work on my part to be a little polite. I'll stick with my bus statement, if a little courtesy on the road is too much work for you then you should just stick your lazy butt on a bus.
You shouldn't even have to mess with the setting on your cruise control. You can accelerate a bit and then let off the gas and your cc will kick back in once you're down to the speed you previously had it set at.

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
That's because you have to actually know how to drive to get a license over there.
And the enforce the not passing on the right and not blocking the left lane because you think you are going fast enough for everyone else.

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:10 PM
You shouldn't even have to mess with the setting on your cruise control. You can accelerate a bit and then let off the gas and your cc will kick back in once you're down to the speed you previously had it set at.
Yeah, I do it both ways, just depends on if I want to move my thumb or my leg and foot, lol

NJChiefsFan
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
This is one of my biggest two problems with drivers. That and putting the blinker on AS they are turning. Awesome, what is that point?!

morphius
04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
This is one of my biggest two problems with drivers. That and putting the blinker on AS they are turning. Awesome, what is that point?!
Maybe it is like the road signs here in KS. They tell you it is a turn only lane at the point that it is impossible to do anything about being in the wrong lane, lol.

TrebMaxx
04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
The left lane slowpokes on the highway should die.

Those that don't know how to maintain a consistent speed or use their cruise control on the highway should die.

Those that try to pass in the right lane, a line of traffic backed up in the left lane due to the slowpoke syndrome then cut in to the left lane when the line has obviously been created in the left lane behind said dumb shit slowpoke should die.

Those that see the warning signs that lane "x" is closed "x" miles ahead and continue on "x" lane passing all the considerate drivers that have formed a line in lane "y" then expecting another motorist in lane "y" to let them in should die. Also, the motorist in lane "y" that lets asshole motorist in lane "x" into lane "y" should also die.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Those that don't know how to maintain a consistent speed or use their cruise control on the highway should die.

Those that try to pass in the right lane, a line of traffic backed up in the left lane due to the slowpoke syndrome then cut in to the left lane when the line has obviously been created in the left lane behind said dumb shit slowpoke should die.

Those that see the warning signs that lane lane "x" is closed "x" miles ahead and continue on "x" lane passing all the considerate drivers that have formed a line in lane "y" then expecting another motorist in lane "y" to let them in should die. Also, the motorist in lane "y" that lets asshole motorist in lane "x" into lane "y" should also die.

My name is frazod, and I approve of this post. :thumb:

Easy 6
04-04-2012, 10:33 PM
The only people that tick me off are the ones that speed up or slow down to whatever speed you are going,

This, this, this.

The ones that pass when you pass, then tailgate you in the right lane, then pass you, get in front & proceed to immediately slow or set their cruise like 2mph under yours, making you constantly adjust to them.

I light up the jets & put as much distance on those people as i can asap, wanna play footsies for the next 50 miles? **** you.

-King-
04-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Those that see the warning signs that lane lane "x" is closed "x" miles ahead and continue on "x" lane passing all the considerate drivers that have formed a line in lane "y" then expecting another motorist in lane "y" to let them in should die. Also, the motorist in lane "y" that lets asshole motorist in lane "x" into lane "y" should also die.

ROFLROFL I won't lie, sometimes when I feel like an asshole, I'll do this, especially when traffic is really backed up and I have places to go.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 10:40 PM
SERIOUSLY?!?!?

apparently you are the same person on the road as the one you are in DC... :shake:

You are wrong.

If I am GOING OVER THE EFFING SPEED LIMIT, then I am not slow.

Don't like it? Too damned bad.

If you are in the left lane, you want to go fast. If you are going significantly over the limit (where 1 mph is not significant), then you are going fast. If you want to drive some crazy unsafe speed, you have no more right to the left lane than I do. Want to pass me? OK, fine, I don't mind if you pass me, but I'm not going to shift left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right for hours.

The right lane is for people who go the speed limit or slower.

PERIOD.

Brock
04-04-2012, 10:42 PM
The left lane is for passing. PERIOD. Quit trolling.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Those that see the warning signs that lane "x" is closed "x" miles ahead and continue on "x" lane passing all the considerate drivers that have formed a line in lane "y" then expecting another motorist in lane "y" to let them in should die. Also, the motorist in lane "y" that lets asshole motorist in lane "x" into lane "y" should also die.

As I get onto the highway on my way to work, there are two lanes that merge into the highway. I *ALWAYS* stay in the far right lane because I know the people in the left getting ready to merge with highway traffic are gonna fucking lollygag their way into the lane.

I typically wind up going about 90 as I merge into the highway about 1/4 mi down the road right before my lane ends and right into wide open spaces. No clue why no one else has picked up on that shit.

When I look back, the 7 cars I have passed that were waiting to merge are stuck in a mini traffic jam and I'm boogieing right down the road.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Exactly the kind of thinking that pisses people off.

It is WRONG. There's NO REASON why anyone should have to pass an idiot in the right lane.

bullcrap.

You are wrong. If I am going significantly over the speed limit, then I shouldn't have to get out of your way. I don't want to put up with the people in the right lane either, if you want to drive at some stupid ticket-bait speed, thats fine, but its incumbent upon you, the weird, rare, outlier, who almost no one drives similar to you, to figure out how to get around normal people.

TrebMaxx
04-04-2012, 10:46 PM
ROFLROFL I won't lie, sometimes when I feel like an asshole, I'll do this, especially when traffic is really backed up and I have places to go.

You are a quality poster on this board, but I'm sorry, you should die. :D

alnorth
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
The left lane is for passing. PERIOD. Quit trolling.

No, it is not. Not legally in most states, and not in practice. What you fervantly wish was so in your fever-dream fantasy-land, has no basis in reality.

I don't see people driving 15-25 over hardly EVER go to the right when they speed ahead even if there's no visible car ahead for miles. They all stay in the left lane forever.

Brock
04-04-2012, 10:48 PM
bullcrap.

You are wrong. If I am going significantly over the speed limit, then I shouldn't have to get out of your way. I don't want to put up with the people in the right lane either, if you want to drive at some stupid ticket-bait speed, thats fine, but its incumbent upon you, the weird, rare, outlier, who almost no one drives similar to you, to figure out how to get around normal people.

It should be obvious that the outlier here is you.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 10:48 PM
but its incumbent upon you, the weird, rare, outlier, who almost no one drives similar to you, to figure out how to get around normal people.

If it is so rare and almost no one drives like that it seems to me that your argument of having to go left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right for hours... is a moot point.

Brock
04-04-2012, 10:49 PM
No, it is not. Not legally in most states, and not in practice. What you fervantly wish was so in your fever-dream fantasy-land, has no basis in reality.

I don't see people driving 15-25 over hardly EVER go to the right when they speed ahead even if there's no visible car ahead for miles. They all stay in the left lane forever.

People may well drive like dipshits where you're from. It would explain why you apparently don't understand basic road decorum.

JOhn
04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

When I see this happening and I am in Lane "y" and in my work truck....I ease over till I am straddling the line and block them from any further progress.... They don't wanna tangle with 26,000lb truck with a irritated driver :D

alnorth
04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
It should be obvious that the outlier here is you.

Given that I pass far, far, far, far, far more people than pass me...

no. You are the outlier. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are the one who needs 3-4 lane highways.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 10:59 PM

no. You are the outlier. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are the one who needs 3-4 lane highways.

With this dude the entire way.

This thread is full of tards who think that they own the highway.

Brock
04-04-2012, 11:01 PM

If it was a 3 lane highway, you'd still be the dipshit in the left lane.

Easy 6
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Pull right when it is safe to do so, Al... dont feel unduely rushed, but at the safest & soonest opportunity, pull over... its not a big deal & its the right thing to do, period.

Dont be a dick.

Brock
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Another guy who needs a glass belt buckle.

Bump
04-04-2012, 11:04 PM
now that I don't take any highways to work, it doesn't bother me much. But the new thing is, when everyone is stopped at a red light and you have people going straight on one side and people that want to go left on the other, and there is no green left turn arrow, those people turning left somehow think that they have the right away and just go left when the lights turn green and almost cause an accident because the people going straight know that they actually have the right of way. Drives me fucking crazy, been seeing this a lot more lately.

morphius
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM

That is exactly what you are doing by claiming the left lane is yours because you are going fast enough...

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Another guy who needs a glass belt buckle.

Again, makes no sense.
When did it become the norm for adults, mature adults, to drive 20 over the speed limit? I thought we were over that whole "I GOTTA GO FAST, I JUST GOT MY LICENSE" phase?
If I'm driving 10 over, I'm not going to swerve from lane to lane to compensate for the jackass behind me who wants to drive in excessive, ridiculous speeds on a highway that is already cramped.

Maybe you guys should try to manage your time better?

TrebMaxx
04-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Pull right when it is safe to do so, Al... dont feel unduely rushed, but at the safest & soonest opportunity, pull over... its not a big deal & its the right thing to do, period.

Dont be a dick.

I agree with this. Don't be a dick about it. I try to not go 10 over the speed limit. But if I am passing a slower motorist and someone comes flying up on me I will look ahead to see if there is any LE. If there isn't I will accelerate a bit to get around the slower motorist in the right lane a little more quickly and let the guy in the left lane go on his way. Sometimes it provides satisfaction when you pass them later while they are pulled over by the popo!

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Also, I'd like to add that if the right lane is open and somebody comes up on my ass, I will get over -- but I'm not going to go through excessive means of slowing down/speeding up/slowing down/speeding up to make speed demons happy.

Trying to go lane to lane over and over and over is usually not the safest thing to do.

Bugeater
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Everyone should die. Then I'd have the roads all to myself.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Also, I'd like to add that if the right lane is open and somebody comes up on my ass, I will get over -- but I'm not going to go through excessive means of slowing down/speeding up/slowing down/speeding up to make speed demons happy.

As someone who enjoys putting the foot down... that is all I ask. If the lane is open, move over. If you are keeping pace with the car next to you, move over. Otherwise, I am happy to wait for you to find a spot you are comfy with to make the lane change.

Now, if you never move over and I am able to switch to the right lane, get in front of you, and safely change back over into the left lane... I'm probably giving you the one finger salute as I make my lane change.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Everyone should die. Then I'd have the roads all to myself.

I have this taped to the monitor on my desk at work. Seems like it suits you as well. :D

http://www.kimtuck.com/imageshacker/19e12fc08d5e5744491808f5502b2044.gif

morphius
04-04-2012, 11:21 PM

Trying to go lane to lane over and over and over is usually not the safest thing to do.
I think most of us are talking about interstate driving in the midwest, not rush hour driving.

tmw4h5
04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
As someone who enjoys putting the foot down... that is all I ask. If the lane is open, move over. If you are keeping pace with the car next to you, move over. Otherwise, I am happy to wait for you to find a spot you are comfy with to make the lane change.

Now, if you never move over and I am able to switch to the right lane, get in front of you, and safely change back over into the left lane... I'm probably giving you the one finger salute as I make my lane change.

Oh, totally understandable.

Brock
04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Again, makes no sense.
When did it become the norm for adults, mature adults, to drive 20 over the speed limit? I thought we were over that whole "I GOTTA GO FAST, I JUST GOT MY LICENSE" phase?
If I'm driving 10 over, I'm not going to swerve from lane to lane to compensate for the jackass behind me who wants to drive in excessive, ridiculous speeds on a highway that is already cramped.

Dumbass, it has nothing to do with whether you think people are driving too fast. It's that you're going to have people stacking up behind you because you don't do what common sense dictates and move the fuck over. You are the hazard, not the people who you think are driving too fast.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
If it was a 3 lane highway, you'd still be the dipshit in the left lane.

actually, no, when given the choice I prefer the center lane. If its a 4-lane highway, by default when all things are equal, I like the lane just to the right of center.

I don't drive the left lane unless its a 2-lane highway, or unless a multi-line highway is clogged with slow drivers, which happens A LOT, which again demonstrates that YOU are the one who is in the vocal, loud, but tiny, minority.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Dont be a dick.

If there's no one in the right lane, there's no reason why I should be the one who pulls over. I'm the one in front, there's a perfectly good, temporarily-(but not for long) empty right lane, let him slalom ski around.

pr_capone
04-04-2012, 11:27 PM
If there's no one in the right lane, there's no reason why I should be the one who pulls over. I'm the one in front, there's a perfectly good, temporarily-(but not for long) empty left lane, let him slalom ski around.

because I enjoy letting images talk for me...

http://i.imgur.com/LhSeP.jpg

alnorth
04-04-2012, 11:32 PM
because I enjoy letting images talk for me...

You should probably keep your hand on the wheel, or you might not see something on the road while waiting for the right lane to clear.

Easy 6
04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
If there's no one in the right lane, there's no reason why I should be the one who pulls over. I'm the one in front, there's a perfectly good, temporarily-(but not for long) empty right lane, let him slalom ski around.

Welp, guess theres no point in trying to reason with you.

Call your state police & ask them, i'd bet good money the answer will surprise you... left lane is for passing, all others stay right.

alnorth
04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Welp, guess theres no point in trying to reason with you.

Call your state police & ask them, i'd bet good money the answer will surprise you... left lane is for passing, all others stay right.

Never mind me, you've got zillions and zillions of other poor, hopeless souls to educate.

The people who want to go 15-20 over are a tiny, insignificant, minority.

oh and by the way, those state police aren't going to bother me and my going-a-bit-over-the-speed-limit car. They are pulling YOU over. You are the weirdo outlier, not me. I am going JUST SLOW ENOUGH to not ever get a ticket, but still over the limit.

cdcox
04-05-2012, 12:05 AM
I have invented...

the gap theory.

You can be in the left lane under the following conditions:

a. no one is behind you
b. there is no gap in front of you
c. you are temporarily inhibited from getting over because you are passing someone quickly -- you might have to drive faster than you normally would.

If you are in the left lane under any other condition, you are being an asshole. Pull over and let people through.

You are allowed to pass on the right if there is a gap in front of the person in the left lane. Often when someone who has backed up traffic for miles gets passed on the right, they wake up and finally pull over. You are doing everyone in the left lane a favor, by passing on the right. Yes, it's true.

Now to the radical part of the gap theory. Say there is an exit only lane and traffic is backed up in the other lanes. You are allowed to use the exit only lane to zoom to the front of the pack. This sounds radical, but bear with me. In a line of 20 or more cars, at least one person will be leaving a large gap. You can easily slide into the gap, merge smoothly with traffic without slamming on your brakes, slow no one down at all, and increase the usage rate of the highway. This increases the capacity of the capacity of the highway and everyone gets where they are going faster. I'm not the asshole, its the person who leaves the gap. If no gap forms, I fall on my sword and take the exit. I won't back up traffic to force my way in.

Behold the gap theory.

Caveats: no fiddling with the radio, no cell phone use. You are hard core driving. Speed limits are not enforced where I do most of my driving. 15+ over the speed limit is routine in the left lane. 5-10+ is typical for the right lanes. I would probably drive differently when surrounded by different drivers or enforcement policies.

alnorth
04-05-2012, 12:09 AM
15+ over the speed limit is routine in the left lane. 5-10+ is typical for the right lanes. I would probably drive differently when surrounded by different drivers or enforcement policies.

This is not typical, AT ALL, where I drive. Where I live, a never-ending horde of people driving the speed limit or slower lurk in the right lane for miles as far as the eye can see.

Your mileage may vary.

Trivers
04-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Never mind me, you've got zillions and zillions of other poor, hopeless souls to educate.

The people who want to go 15-20 over are a tiny, insignificant, minority.

oh and by the way, those state police aren't going to bother me and my going-a-bit-over-the-speed-limit car. They are pulling YOU over. You are the weirdo outlier, not me. I am going JUST SLOW ENOUGH to not ever get a ticket, but still over the limit.

People like you see closely my rear bumper as I cut back over to the left. Who died and made you the left lane enforcer god?

headsnap
04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
It's really pathetic that there are posters on here trying to justify their passive aggressive behavior when common courtesy should be the rule of the day...

Trivers
04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
It's really pathetic that there are posters on here trying to justify their passive aggressive behavior when common courtesy should be the rule of the day...

:clap::clap:

The Iron Chief
04-05-2012, 07:12 AM

^
This

One of my personal pet peeves is people who come to a crawl or complete stop when turning right at an intersection when the lights Green!

Green means go people Not Yield.

How many extra times do you have to wait at a light because two or three people at a turn do this.
Pull up to the green light slow to 1 mph or stop then turn right.

Just go if someone tags you its their damn fault.

RaiderH8r
04-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Left lane vigilantes exercising some self indulgent need to feel as if they are enforcing some moral obligation to slow traffic to their comfort level are self centered cockbags that endanger themselves and other drivers. I can handle my rig at 85, I drive reasonably and prudently and if an officer of the law catches me and disagrees that is between us. What I can't account for 100% of the time are the fansical whimsies of self important slapdicks behind the wheel who feel like they are Elliott Ness because they have a car and moral indignation. Just STFU and get out of the way asshole.

CHENZ A!
04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm actually kind of surprised that there are people on here admitting to driving like moron assholes.

Shag
04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

That says it all. You're an inconsiderate, selfish asshole.

Frazod
04-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Is anybody really surprised that alnorth is a discourteous prick?

To his credit, at least he owns it.

kcchiefsus
04-05-2012, 08:14 AM

In this case I'm probably going to go around you, get back in front of you, and slam on the brakes. Don't like it? Tough shit.

Amnorix
04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
You are wrong.

If you are in the left lane, you want to go fast. If you are going significantly over the limit (where 1 mph is not significant), then you are going fast. If you want to drive some crazy unsafe speed, you have no more right to the left lane than I do. Want to pass me? OK, fine, I don't mind if you pass me, but I'm not going to shift left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right for hours.

PERIOD.

You're wrong in many states, where left lane is specifically for PASSING. If you are not passing, then NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING, you are supposed to move over.

Thank God most in Mass don't drive the way you do. You're not the guy that gets to decide how fast people in the fast lane are supposed to go. It's the FAST lane, not the Alnorth lane.

Amnorix
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
now that I don't take any highways to work, it doesn't bother me much. But the new thing is, when everyone is stopped at a red light and you have people going straight on one side and people that want to go left on the other, and there is no green left turn arrow, those people turning left somehow think that they have the right away and just go left when the lights turn green and almost cause an accident because the people going straight know that they actually have the right of way. Drives me fucking crazy, been seeing this a lot more lately.

This is the norm here in Massachusetts, to the point where drivers going straight wait a half-second to punch it in the expectation that the left-turn guy will punch it.

Once everyone learns to accept it, it's really not a bad "rule".

What drives me really crazy are idiots who get hung up in the middle of the intersection after the light has turned red because they HAD to try to squeze through before the light turned. Now the light has turned and they can't go because of the cars in front of them, AND THEY ARE BLOCKING THE CROSS-TRAFFIC.

Congratulations -- YOU are now single-handedly screwing up traffic for everybody at this intersection. Now when the cross-traffic goes they will be more likely to pull your dick move because they're all pissed off that they couldnt' make a light even though they were the fourth car in line because some A-hole screwed up the whole ball of wax.

Amnorix
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Dumbass, it has nothing to do with whether you think people are driving too fast. It's that you're going to have people stacking up behind you because you don't do what common sense dictates and move the fuck over. You are the hazard, not the people who you think are driving too fast.

Word.

morphius
04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
In this case I'm probably going to go around you, get back in front of you, and slam on the brakes. Don't like it? Tough shit.
I used to fight that urge and I've probably boxed a few of those jerks in behind slower cars when I was young.

A few years ago a couple of cops decided that they were going to control the speed between Omaha and Lincoln, they blocked both lanes and drove the speed limit. They backed up traffic for MILES, and both got in a lot trouble.

One of the only times I have had the cherry's lit up behind me was when I noticed a cop was coming up behind me and I slipped down to the speed limit and was stuck in the left lane. I slowed down to move over and he turned them off and drove on, lol. I guess nobody wants to do the speed limit in St Joe.

Radar Chief
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes it is, and yes that includes most states. They don’t strictly enforce it but just wait because it is coming.

Then you’ve seen a bunch of dumbasses begging for a ticket. Few things get the attention of a trooper working traffic faster than when a left lane road hog goes flying down the road.
No I’m not an officer, I just work with the officers doing speed/traffic enforcement providing electronic solutions to help make their jobs easier.

FishingRod
04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
In general I am opposed to the death penalty but, for slow drivers in the passing lane and whoever is responsible for Nancy Grace being on television, I am not only willing to make an exception I will personally peddle the stationary bike from Gilligan’s island to power the electric chair. I’m in pretty bad shape and it could take a very long time.

chasedude
04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Giving tickets to slow drivers in the fast lane is another addition for the raping for more revenue.

Don't get me wrong, those drivers piss me off, but there's nothing I can do until my chance comes to pass the fuckers.

-King-
04-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I remember this was posted a few years back

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1B-Ox0ZmVIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCHawg
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Revised Statutes Missouri Chapter 304

2. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(2) Upon a city street with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction;
(3) Upon a one-way street; (4) Upon any highway outside of a city with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for four or more lines of traffic. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under the foregoing conditions when such movement may be made in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the paved or main traveled portion of the roadway. The provisions of this subsection shall not relieve the driver of a slow-moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway.

seclark
04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

that's cause you won't get out of the left lane.
go back to jersey, ya moron!

Dayze
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Slowpokes are delicious. Not in a Jeffrey Dahmer way, mind you.

frankotank
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Missouri drivers SUCK! inconsiderate retards! I hate you ALL! (oh...and you too alnorth! :D)
(why can't you just drive like me.....idiots....)

sedated
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree with alnorth, but it depends on the situation. If its an empty road, I’m cruising at a decent speed in the left lane, with an empty right lane next to me, and someone comes up behind me, I will probably stay where I’m at. He can go around. I always go 5-10 MPH faster than the speed limit, so its not like I’m a hazard or blocking his way – that driver is just being a pr!ck if he would rather tailgate me for 20 minutes than maintain his speed.

If the highway is somewhat congested, I will do my best to get over. I won’t punch the gas or anything, but I will get over as soon as possible.

The Dawg
04-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I certainly question your intelligence, douche. I guess you missed the part where I said he sped up as I was going around him. So as I was passing him at 90, he had gone from around 50 (in a 65 zone) to over 80. And my typical cruising speed is generally about 7 over the limit. He was complete prick.

I guess we don't need to ask about your driving habits, do we, Nancy?

I drive a Subaru STI - I drive like a Nancy. :rolleyes:

I hope next time you are driving over 90 mph you get pulled over by the aids police and given a through anal probing. Worthless POS

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree with alnorth, but it depends on the situation. If its an empty road, I’m cruising at a decent speed in the left lane, with an empty right lane next to me, and someone comes up behind me, I will probably stay where I’m at. He can go around. I always go 5-10 MPH faster than the speed limit, so its not like I’m a hazard or blocking his way – that driver is just being a pr!ck if he would rather tailgate me for 20 minutes than maintain his speed.

If the highway is somewhat congested, I will do my best to get over. I won’t punch the gas or anything, but I will get over as soon as possible.

Just move over to the right. Do the right thing. You are in the PASSING lane, not the "I make my own rules as I drive" lane.

stevieray
04-05-2012, 02:53 PM
You are wrong.

PERIOD.
douchebag mentality

Frazod
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I drive a Subaru STI - I drive like a Nancy. :rolleyes:

I hope next time you are driving over 90 mph you get pulled over by the aids police and given a through anal probing. Worthless POS

It's obvious that you're a complete mindless fucking retard, but again, let me explain, I was doing 90 TO GET PAST AND AWAY FROM THE IDIOT WHO HAD SPED UP FROM 50 TO OVER 80, before he got a chance to play his left-lane blocking game with the next bunch of cars. You dumb fuck. Get it? Before encountering that idiot (are you two related? Probably), I was happily driving along at about 72. Driving at excessive speeds in Wisconsin, especially if you have Illinois plates on your car, isn't smart. If your cousin Goober hadn't been a complete prick and had simply pulled into the right lane, I would have passed him without ever touching the accelerator and been on my way.

Everybody seems to get this but you, dumbass. As for your anal probings, keep your Saturday night festivities to yourself.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 03:09 PM
It's obvious that you're a complete mindless ****ing retard, but again, let me explain, I was doing 90 TO GET PAST AND AWAY FROM THE IDIOT WHO HAD SPED UP FROM 50 TO OVER 80, before he got a chance to play his left-lane blocking game with the next bunch of cars. You dumb ****. Get it? Before encountering that idiot (are you two related? Probably), I was happily driving along at about 72. Driving at excessive speeds in Wisconsin, especially if you have Illinois plates on your car, isn't smart. If your cousin Goober hadn't been a complete prick and had simply pulled into the right lane, I would have passed him without ever touching the accelerator and been on my way.

Everybody seems to get this but you, dumbass. As for your anal probings, keep your Saturday night festivities to yourself.

I've found out over the years that when you pass somone, 9 times out of 10 they speed up as you are passing them. I think it's a subconscious reaction by them and for the most part they don't realize they are doing it.

But I'll be damned if this doesn't happen. You all know the story--you are behind a car doing 60 in a 65 and you have to follow the car for a long time because there is no passing zones or there is too much traffic. Finally, you get your chance and as you speed up to pass the car you have to floor it because all of a sudden this asshat who has been doing 60mph for the last 10 miles is going more like 65-70 so you have to go like 75 to get around him/her.

It pisses me off.

Then, they kind of follow you for a while as you are doing 70 and they are doing 65 and then they realize they are going faster than before and the finally slow down.

There's so many idiots on the road who do this stuff.

Frazod
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I've found out over the years that when you pass somone, 9 times out of 10 they speed up as you are passing them. I think it's a subconscious reaction by them and for the most part they don't realize they are doing it.

But I'll be damned if this doesn't happen. You all know the story--you are behind a car doing 60 in a 65 and you have to follow the car for a long time because there is no passing zones or there is too much traffic. Finally, you get your chance and as you speed up to pass the car you have to floor it because all of a sudden this asshat who has been doing 60mph for the last 10 miles is going more like 65-70 so you have to go like 75 to get around him/her.

It pisses me off.

Then, they kind of follow you for a while as you are doing 70 and they are doing 65 and then they realize they are going faster than before and the finally slow down.

There's so many idiots on the road who do this stuff.

It really is amazing. If somebody passes me, so what? It's not a race. And on the other hand, my passing somebody else isn't some raging expression of dominance. I don't care who you are, or where you're going. Just display a tiny little bit of common courtesy and move to the other lane. Really, it's not that difficult.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 03:22 PM
It really is amazing. If somebody passes me, so what? It's not a race. And on the other hand, my passing somebody else isn't some raging expression of dominance. I don't care who you are, or where you're going. Just display a tiny little bit of common courtesy and move to the other lane. Really, it's not that difficult.

When I'm driving it's by the golden rule: treat others as you like to be treated. I give people plenty of space, I always drive in the right lane even if I'm going above the posted speed limit, I don't ever play games with other drivers (ie speeding up when someone passes me) and I always try to pass in the left lane (however this is sometimes not possible because others don't know how to drive).

I can't stand it when other drivers think it's some kind of game or a just clueless.

Lzen
04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes, very annoying.

Dunno about other states, but here in Mass. this part is never, ever enforced that I have ever seen.

That said, Massachusetts is a great state for driving at reasonable speeds. Most people know how to drive (people who complain about Massachusetts drivers are from cow country and can't handle crazy city traffic, which I can't blame them for), and Mass State Troopers are awesome. Especially compared to Connecticut, which sucks.

Around here, my usual cruising speed is 78 mph -- not QUITE 80, and I haven't gotten a ticket or warning in ages. You really need to be doing 80+ and/or be weaving through traffic at a high rate of speed before you'll get pulled over. Cops here care more about drunk or reckless driving than speeding.

Supposedly Kansas did something with the law a couple years or so ago. But I have not heard of anyone getting tickets for that as of yet.

Frazod
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
When I'm driving it's by the golden rule: treat others as you like to be treated. I give people plenty of space, I always drive in the right lane even if I'm going above the posted speed limit, I don't ever play games with other drivers (ie speeding up when someone passes me) and I always try to pass in the left lane (however this is sometimes not possible because others don't know how to drive).

I can't stand it when other drivers think it's some kind of game or a just clueless.

Just like common sense, common courtesy is rapidly becoming a foreign concept.

sedated
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Just move over to the right. Do the right thing. You are in the PASSING lane, not the "I make my own rules as I drive" lane.

My attitude is the same as yours:

When I'm driving it's by the golden rule: treat others as you like to be treated.

As a driver, I realize that if I’m going 15 over, on an empty road, I might have to get over into the right lane every once and a while. I don’t see it as an inconvenience, and don’t expect people to be getting out of my way simply because I choose to drive 15 over.

And I don’t see how people can bang their drum and shout “it’s the law!!!!” about staying in the left lane, when the other person in question is guilty of reckless driving and more of a threat on the road.

But this is a weird argument, because I can see myself siding for each side depending on the situation, so I don’t want to get stuck defending the people that don’t get over – nothing had ever annoyed me more than getting stuck on K-10 behind some @ssh0le. I simply highlighted a situation where I found it acceptable.

headsnap
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
And I don’t see how people can bang their drum and shout “it’s the law!!!!” about staying in the left lane, when the other person in question is guilty of reckless driving and more of a threat on the road.

staying in the left lane IS reckless driving!!!!

frankotank
04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
MotherFUCK there are so stupid fucks in here!
Get the fuck OVER! Its the law BITCH!
Sonofabitch this pisses me off......youd think I was driving...

Earthling
04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I see signs all the time along the freeways...Keep Right Except To Pass. This isn't that hard of a concept to grasp...is it??

qabbaan
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I see signs all the time along the freeways...Keep Right Except To Pass. This isn't that hard of a concept to grasp...is it??

I tend to abide by this when on interstates, but in city driving where there are exits both right and left it doesn't really apply.

I think it's mostly old people who drive with this rule in mind anymore. Young people don't seem to ever have heard of it.

Bwana
04-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Again, makes no sense.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbq4gjDB921qe0eclo1_r8_500.gif

At some point in time, you are likely going to become the victim of road rage.

Easy 6
04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Rep

you cheating donky dirtbag

Easy 6
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Sonofabitch this pisses me off......youd think I was driving...

LMAO

Thats why this thread is so full of passion, reliving the madness as we talk about it.

The Dawg
04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
It's obvious that you're a complete mindless ****ing retard, but again, let me explain, I was doing 90 TO GET PAST AND AWAY FROM THE IDIOT WHO HAD SPED UP FROM 50 TO OVER 80, before he got a chance to play his left-lane blocking game with the next bunch of cars. You dumb ****. Get it? Before encountering that idiot (are you two related? Probably), I was happily driving along at about 72. Driving at excessive speeds in Wisconsin, especially if you have Illinois plates on your car, isn't smart. If your cousin Goober hadn't been a complete prick and had simply pulled into the right lane, I would have passed him without ever touching the accelerator and been on my way.

Read my quote from earlier

:)

The Dawg
04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I can just see fazod now...

Driving in his 5.0 Fox body Mustang. Shooting up some cocaine, mullet blowing in the wind. Get outta my way mother*******!!! It's my way or the highway.

Kind of the trailer park fazod is.

morphius
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
staying in the left lane IS reckless driving!!!!
And they only look wreckless because they jackballs guarding the left lane like the own it...