PDA

View Full Version : Computers Apple gets viruses too!

ArrowheadHawk
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
More than 600,000 Macs infected with Flashback botnet (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57409619-83/more-than-600000-macs-infected-with-flashback-botnet/)
Russian antivirus company says half the computers infected with malware designed to steal personal information are in the U.S. -- with 274 located in Cupertino.

by Steven Musil April 4, 2012 6:25 PM PDT

More than half a million Macs are infected with the Flashback Trojan, a malware package designed to steal personal information, according to a Russian antivirus company.

The company -- Dr. Web -- originally reported today that 550,000 Macintosh computers were infected by the growing Mac botnet. But later in the day, Dr. Web malware analyst Sorokin Ivan announced on Twitter that the number of Macs infected with Flashback had increased to 600,000, with 274 of those based in Cupertino, Calif.

Mikko Hypponen@mikko 4 Apr 12
Dr. Web estimates that half a million Macs were infected by the Flashback trojan. averysawaba.blogspot.com/2012/04/over-h… We can't confirm or deny the figure.

Sorokin Ivan@hexminer
@mikko, at this moment botnet Flashback over 600k, include 274 bots from Cupertino and special for you Mikko - 285 from Finland
4 Apr 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

More than half of the Macs infected are in the United States (57 percent), while another 20 percent are in Canada, Dr. Web said.

The malware was initially found in September 2011 masquerading as a fake Adobe Flash Player plug-in installer, but in the past few months it has evolved to exploiting Java vulnerabilities to target Mac systems. A new variant that surfaced over the weekend appears to be taking advantage of Java vulnerability for which Apple released a patch yesterday.

As CNET blogger Topher Kessler explains, simply visiting a malicious Web site containing Flashback on an OS X system with Java installed will result in one of two installation routes. The malware will request an administrator password, and if one is supplied, it will install its package of code into the Applications folder. If a password is not offered, the malware will install to the user accounts where it can run in a more global manner.
Once installed, the Flashback will inject code into Web browsers and other applications like Skype to harvest passwords and other information from those program's users.
Security company F-Secure has published instructions on how to determine whether a Mac is infected with Flashback.
Updated at 6:45 p.m. to correct that a patch is available.

loochy
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
NO THAT CANT HAPPEN APPEL CANOT GET VIRUS
IT IS AWESOME AND IT EVEN MAKES ME TOAST IN THE MORNING
/Appleheads

Micjones
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Oops...
ROFL

Sofa King
04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/12/apple-virus.jpg

WhiteWhale
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
It's almost funny that Apple fanboys seemed to think they were immune to this rather than simply not being targeted.

With the growing popularity of Apple, this is going to become something they'll have to tackle.

loochy
04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
It's almost funny that Apple fanboys seemed to think they were immune to this rather than simply not being targeted.

With the growing popularity of Apple, this is going to become something they'll have to tackle.

It actually IS funny to me.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
It gets better:

There's a NASTY trojan virus going around for mac. Apparently it's semi intelligent, and can mutate to avoid detection and deletion. Windows patched it out ages ago, but no security measures have been made by Apple yet.

Best part? It won't install itself to your mac if it has microsoft software on it, because MS Word etc has built-in safeguards that would alert the user to the presence of the virus. That's right, MS Word has better built-in security than your whole damn OS. SUCK IT JOBS oh wait....awwww too soon???? xD

DMAC
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
People are weird with this shit.

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC56F8dXdfD4c1Kytm_wTB4fECek3qw56WwhU9HLklUQPCgaoHhkM2X5gvdw

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 02:54 PM
People are weird with this shit.

You know what's weird? Someone asked me if I use a Mac to do my job the other day. I just laughed, and sent him an email detailing all the hardware and software I use that's not available for Macs.

loochy
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
You know what's weird? Someone asked me if I use a Mac to do my job the other day. I just laughed, and sent him an email detailing all the hardware and software I use that's not available for Macs.

You know what else is weird? Paying double for something that does the same damn thing that an item that is half the price could do.

DMAC
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Yes, that is weird. I'm sure he slapped his forehead and exclaimed, "My God, MAN!!".

loochy
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, that is weird. I'm sure he slapped his forehead and exclaimed, "My God, MAN!!".

The guy was probably extremely puzzled as to why GoChiefs went into that long explanation when a simple "no" would suffice.

headsnap
Windoze fanboys... the new hipsters!

awww, aren't they cute...

Hammock Parties

I explained to him that I like to work in a fast and efficient manner, and Mac just doesn't provide the tools to do that.

loochy
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I explained to him that I like to work in a fast and efficient manner, and Mac just doesn't provide the tools to do that.

Yeah, but it has a glowing apple on the lid and its really thin!

Fish
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
LOL... Apple haters.... You guys are just adorable....

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but it has a glowing apple on the lid and its really thin!

A lid? What? I do work on a desktop. A real computer. With real power.

Johnny Vegas
04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
haters line up

loochy
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM

But it integrates well with a particular music buying software that installs malware on your system.

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM

But it integrates well with a particular music buying software that installs malware on your system.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/CruxisAurion/timetostopposting.jpg

loochy
04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/CruxisAurion/timetostopposting.jpg

NEVER!

http://www.forkparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Courage-Wolf-Never-Give-Up.jpg

|Zach|
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM

You took the time to send that email? lol.

bishop_74
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
MY TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR TEAM!!!! Should this be moved to DC?

Agent V
04-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I use a Mac, and my good friend uses a PC, and we never argue about it. It's really cool.

qabbaan
04-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I use a Mac for work. Lots of people do. The head of our desktop hardware organization actually totes around a Macbook pro. Everything is trending to be platform agnostic. Most enterprise systems are being remote hosted these days so your platform doesnt matter as much. My workplace is actually moving toward BYOD for many areas. There are some staff who work on ipads a good percentage of the time now even without official support. The old "PCs are for work,Macs are for schools and newspapers" is 2000s thinking. We are in a new decade now. The future is web, cloud, app, tablet, etc based. It won't be Windows vs the field anymore.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
That's great, man, but I still have no use for any freaking tablets. Apple or otherwise.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
You took the time to send that email? lol.

He requested it.

Agent V
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
That's great, man, but I still have no use for any freaking tablets. Apple or otherwise.

Totally agree with you there. I'm already in technology overload.

qabbaan
04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

There are dinosaurs at every workplace. Some of them still print emails. Some of them still use IE. In the future they will be the "keyboard from my cold dead hands" people. MHz is from the 20th century. Bandwidth is the new clockspeed.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 05:29 PM
There are dinosaurs at every workplace. Some of them still print emails. Some of them still use IE. In the future they will be the "keyboard from my cold dead hands" people. MHz is from the 20th century. Bandwidth is the new clockspeed.

Hey, that's great. Let me know when I can capture and edit video on a tablet. ROFL

loochy
04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey, that's great. Let me know when I can capture and edit video on a tablet. ROFL

I need full featured matlab and maple so that doesn't work for me either

RealSNR
04-05-2012, 06:03 PM
An informed person who uses a Mac knows their machine is still prone to viruses and will still take every precaution to safeguard against infection.

Then there are the people that believe the myth that they are immune from everything.

The only newsworthy bit about this virus realistically is that it hit up so many computers in Cupertino.

DRU
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Ding Ding Ding!

I've been saying this for years. They actually train (well, sell) people on the fact that you don't have to worry about viruses and you don't have to install anti-virus software on a Mac, etc.

Now that they're actually growing in market share, though, and the software developers have more than 1% of the population to attack, they're going to start doing it and all these unprotected people are going to be screwed.

I've been offering up this theory to many a Mac user since about 2001 and they all laughed at me. I've been patiently waiting for this day. LOL

The Rick
04-05-2012, 07:00 PM

http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/imovie.html

You said to let you know... :)

Brooklyn
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Just curious, what editing applications and/or hardware do you use?

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Are you dumb or something? I said "capture" and edit.

And I would honestly be SHOCKED if an iPad was powerful enough to edit HD video smoothly.

Anyway, it's still moot...because who wants to fucking edit video on a tiny iPad screen.

Idiot Mac fanboys.

Deberg_1990
04-05-2012, 09:11 PM

You are now a niche market. Congrats. 1998 called, they want you back.

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2012, 09:53 PM

And I would honestly be SHOCKED if an iPad was powerful enough to edit HD video smoothly.

Anyway, it's still moot...because who wants to fucking edit video on a tiny iPad screen.

Idiot Mac fanboys.
Blabbering stupid idiot.
What am I not getting? The ipad 2 shot 720p video no problem.. The iPad 3 shoots 1080p.. You edit this content with built-in iMovie and it runs perfect.
I've seen first hand as my best friend has been making these ridiculous movie trailers featuring his dog and cat -- I've seen a couple.
You hate just to hate and it makes you look fucking retarded. I'm honestly convinced that you know jack shit about the computing world. You're very skilled with select pieces of video editing software but I can make the assumption that that's about it.
With all that said -- I'm primarily a Windows user.

cdcox
04-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Wake me up when developers are doing most of their coding on a tablet.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 10:05 PM
What am I not getting? The ipad 2 shot 720p video no problem.. The iPad 3 shoots 1080p.. You edit this content with built-in iMovie and it runs perfect.

Uh huh. I have my doubts about how smoothly it edits that content. Do they even make quad-core iPads, let alone eight-core? I can't imagine editing on anything less.

Anyway, it still can't capture video (I'm not talking about shooting the video, I'm talking about capturing video using a video capture card), and editing on a tiny screen is a joke.

FAIL.

04-05-2012, 10:05 PM
They will never do away with the keyboard.

kaplin42
04-05-2012, 10:11 PM
They will never do away with the keyboard.

I would like to introduce to you voice recognition. Siri, Doids Vocal recognition(which came out several years before Siri, and yet apple fanoi's drooled over it), Dragon.

Mouse and keyboard are going the way of the dodo. We will literally be doing voice and holo images like in Minority Report. Don't believe me, take a look at things like MS Surface, or when you watch NFL channel and they are doing stuff on the large smart TV's.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Mouse and keyboard are going the way of the dodo.

ROFL

This is just stupid. Hotkeys are always going to be faster than speaking.

Bearcat
04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I use 2 monitors at work (and wish I had 3), type 80+wpm, and probably have 30+ things open at any given time.... a touch screen and voice recognition is nice for tablets and phones, for a single or few apps like light email/IM/word processing or things that rely mostly on touch, but the keyboard and mouse aren't going away any time soon for the power users (for lack of a better phrase).

cdcox
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Voice recognition this, fanbois:

function(data){
var down_dist = data.field_address.charAt(0);

chasedude
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I use 2 monitors at work (and wish I had 3), type 80+wpm, and probably have 30+ things open at any given time.... a touch screen and voice recognition is nice for tablets and phones, for a single or few apps like light email/IM/word processing or things that rely mostly on touch, but the keyboard and mouse aren't going away any time soon for the power users (for lack of a better phrase).

Need a great presentation mouse/keyboard? I found this thing a few months ago and love it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=favi+mini+wireless+keyboard&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17921915204560046256&sa=X&ei=knt-T9asLI6c8QSl-uHQBw&ved=0CH8Q8gIwAQ

Plus it also works on a PS3, Wii and the xbox.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iFKhGdWj1jQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bump
04-05-2012, 11:26 PM
fuck, I need to figure out how to see if I have it or not

kaplin42
04-05-2012, 11:29 PM

I actually use 3 monitors (Radeon Eyefinity), have several apps running all the time, don't know if I can do 80 wpm, but am damn fast, and I'm telling you mouse and keyboard are on the way out. It will take another decade or so, but believe me, they are gone.

Look at every OS coming out, more and more built for touch screen, and don't be surprised when Siri starts making it into the Mac OS.

RealSNR
04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
They will never do away with the keyboard.Oh?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hShY6xZWVGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kaplin42
04-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Also, I think will be a combo of voice recognition, and touch screen/gestures.

Also think of Ms kinect, that's the start of something exciting right there.

Bump
04-05-2012, 11:32 PM
does anybody know how to detect if you have it or not?

Hammock Parties
04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Also, I think will be a combo of voice recognition, and touch screen/gestures.

Also think of Ms kinect, that's the start of something exciting right there.

Sorry, but that doesn't allow for very much precision.

The mouse isn't going anywhere.

And honestly I don't want to have to touch my goddamn screen all day.

04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Oh?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hShY6xZWVGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IT was amazing how fast somebody from the future could type too. How quaint indeed.

04-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I would like to introduce to you voice recognition. Siri, Doids Vocal recognition(which came out several years before Siri, and yet apple fanoi's drooled over it), Dragon.

Mouse and keyboard are going the way of the dodo. We will literally be doing voice and holo images like in Minority Report. Don't believe me, take a look at things like MS Surface, or when you watch NFL channel and they are doing stuff on the large smart TV's.

Yeah, I've seen Siri first hand and am not impressed at all. But you keep on repeating stuff to her. K bye

kaplin42
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry, but that doesn't allow for very much precision.

The mouse isn't going anywhere.

And honestly I don't want to have to touch my goddamn screen all day.

Well since YOU don't actually dictate how technology advances, you're shit out of luck.

Also, look up google glass. That is just way things will end up.

Also you sound like the guys that said computers were "just a fad". Just because one doesn't like change, it doesn't mean it's not coming.

DRU
04-05-2012, 11:48 PM
It'll be beyond what any of us can even comprehend right now, would be my guess. Have you checked out Google's augmented reality stuff? They just released more info on their glasses yesterday: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/. Take a couple of min and watch this demo video. It's amazing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9c6W4CCU9M4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kaplin42
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I've seen Siri first hand and am not impressed at all. But you keep on repeating stuff to her. K bye

Some of you are so short sided in this. What we are seeing today is the beginning of this type of interface.

Remember when we sent someone to the moon, the computer technology to do that was state of the art back then, now we have more processing power in your smart phone.

Try thinking a little beyond today.

04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
It'll be beyond what any of us can even comprehend right now, would be my guess. Have you checked out Google's augmented reality stuff? They just released more info on their glasses yesterday: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9c6W4CCU9M4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great, we will all look like zombies reading things that are 3 inches in front of us.

04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Some of you are so short sided in this. What we are seeing today is the beginning of this type of interface.

Remember when we sent someone to the moon, the computer technology to do that was state of the art back then, now we have more processing power in your smart phone.

Try thinking a little beyond today.

I will be shocked. SHOCKED if the keyboard is gone within my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a tech nerd but this stuff is at its infancy and isn't even close to replacing the keyboard. The mouse, definitely. But the last thing I want to be doing is talking to my computer, tablet, or whatever. I'm really not looking forward to the time when everything is internet only either.

cdcox
04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
After thinking about this for a few minutes, yeah, you could make almost any computer task more efficient with voice recognition. Fore example in programming, saying " if condition x greater than zero else if condition x greater than 10 " could produce the following structure:

if(x>0) {

} elseif(x>10) {

}

I don't think most programmers can type fast enough to reproduce that. And for programmers, cad operators, and designers, increases in productivity free up time for creativity.

If keyboards and mice are still around in 10 years, they will do less than 2% of the work they do now.

RealSNR
04-06-2012, 12:28 AM
It'll be beyond what any of us can even comprehend right now, would be my guess. Have you checked out Google's augmented reality stuff? They just released more info on their glasses yesterday: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/. Take a couple of min and watch this demo video. It's amazing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9c6W4CCU9M4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>What kind of future has technology like this but hasn't yet phased out the bookstore?

cdcox
04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
The other thing to note is that this is at least the 3rd time around on some verion of voice-to-document technology for me.

1) In the mid 80s, we used dicta-phones or tape recorders to record business correspondence, then passed these off to typists or word processing specialists to convert into letters and memos. It was much faster than writing everything out by hand.

2) I had Dragon voice recognition software very early in the game (late 90's), version 1, maybe. Toyed with it for a week and put it on the shelf.

3) Present day, 15 years later it is finally ready for the big time.

|Zach|
04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I will be shocked. SHOCKED if the keyboard is gone within my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a tech nerd but this stuff is at its infancy and isn't even close to replacing the keyboard. The mouse, definitely. But the last thing I want to be doing is talking to my computer, tablet, or whatever. I'm really not looking forward to the time when everything is internet only either.

Funny making a declaration like that considering how much has changed has recently as say....1995.

04-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Funny making a declaration like that considering how much has changed has recently as say....1995.

Just my opinion.

|Zach|
04-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Just my opinion.

Good luck with that 'not wanting stuff on the internet' thing.

04-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Good luck with that 'not wanting stuff on the internet' thing.

I just don't want everything to become internet reliant. Cost factor is all I'm worried about.

penguinz
04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
I want to know what GoChiefs can do on a Windows box that he can not do on a Mac.

I could not care less what machine I use as long as I have access to the resources to make it do what I need it to.

ArrowheadHawk
04-06-2012, 07:22 AM

I fix pc's so I'm not much help on this but my suggestion would be to go to apple.com. They know everything about apple devices right?

Or you could try google.

Bob Dole
04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
The other thing to note is that this is at least the 3rd time around on some verion of voice-to-document technology for me.

1) In the mid 80s, we used dicta-phones or tape recorders to record business correspondence, then passed these off to typists or word processing specialists to convert into letters and memos. It was much faster than writing everything out by hand.

2) I had Dragon voice recognition software very early in the game (late 90's), version 1, maybe. Toyed with it for a week and put it on the shelf.

3) Present day, 15 years later it is finally ready for the big time.

Dragon has advanced far enough now that Bob Dole has seen a demo using its engine where you build a list of keywords, video record a panel discussion, and it will tag each keyword in each speaker's timeline.

The transcription still only runs at about 85% accuracy, though, but it's adequate to meet ADA requirements.

Bob Dole
04-06-2012, 07:26 AM

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan-downloader_osx_flashback_i.shtml

kysirsoze
04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
The problem with touch screens replacing a mouse is precision. There are a lot of operations that take pinpoint accuracy to perform. I have problems hitting the right key on a touch screen half the time.

Stanley Nickels
04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
If you feel comfortable in terminal (that is, if you can do a simple copy-and-paste from the link BobDole posted), do so. Much faster and easier manually quarantining it.

This exploit is similar to the Trojan two years ago, as there still is no way to bypass the Admin authentication to install a program system wide. Instead it will install for the specific user, or will pretend to be something else to coerce the user into entering their admin password.

Look, I'm an Apple fan. I gladly pay extra for the smooth, functional OS.. I only ever buy Mac laptops, but use a desktop PC at home. I worked as an Apple Genius for two years. But the nonchalance of the "Macs will never get a virus" argument only accelerated the desire of hackers to create one. Now we see the absolute truth, which is not that Macs aren't invulnerable (we already knew that), but that any OS is susceptible to exploits when their users don't take measures to limit them. Pretty simple.

ct
04-06-2012, 07:55 AM
After thinking about this for a few minutes, yeah, you could make almost any computer task more efficient with voice recognition. Fore example in programming, saying " if condition x greater than zero else if condition x greater than 10 " could produce the following structure:

if(x>0) {

} elseif(x>10) {

}

I don't think most programmers can type fast enough to reproduce that. And for programmers, cad operators, and designers, increases in productivity free up time for creativity.

If keyboards and mice are still around in 10 years, they will do less than 2% of the work they do now.

I think most programmers would notice this is a silly error. :)

JK man JK

I do agree w/ you, 100.1%

Bearcat
04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I actually use 3 monitors (Radeon Eyefinity), have several apps running all the time, don't know if I can do 80 wpm, but am damn fast, and I'm telling you mouse and keyboard are on the way out. It will take another decade or so, but believe me, they are gone.

Look at every OS coming out, more and more built for touch screen, and don't be surprised when Siri starts making it into the Mac OS.

If it's just as productive or more so, I'm all for it... after all, that's the whole point, and I don't see productivity tools going away just because there's other technology out there. I know it's hip to say technology is dead or dying (thanks, TechCrunch), but it's not just technology that would have to change.... we would have to completely change the way we work.

loochy
04-06-2012, 08:27 AM

if(x>0) {

} elseif(x>10) {

}

I think that a lot of the trouble with this would be the difficulty in applying style, breaks, and comments. Writing legible code entails using strategic line breaks and using capital letters in variable names (example - int timecounter vs. int TimeCounter) or using comment lines to break up sections of code. What would you say for this? /**************start of blah code*********/ Would you say "comment block star star star star star star star star star star star star star star start of blah code star star star star star star star end comment block"?

loochy
04-06-2012, 08:30 AM
The problem with touch screens replacing a mouse is precision. There are a lot of operations that take pinpoint accuracy to perform. I have problems hitting the right key on a touch screen half the time.

This.

Also, I find a tablets and touchscreens to be rather un-ergonomic. When something is at the distance that I feel comfortable viewing at, it is a bit far away to touch comfortable. I just now put my hand out to try to touch the 3 screens I use here at work and my arm would get worn out rather quickly. The mouse allows me to traverse all 3 screens with a slight flick of the wrist. The touchscreen actually seems counter intuitive.

The Rick
04-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Idiot Mac fanboys.
Like taking candy from a baby... :)

First.... :Poke:

Then... :popcorn:

Bob Dole
04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm really not looking forward to the time when everything is internet only either.

Just in time for:

Secunia Advisory SA48705

Sony BRAVIA TV Datagram Flooding Denial of Service

Description

A vulnerability has been reported in Sony BRAVIA TV, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).

The vulnerability is caused due to an error when handling datagrams and can be exploited to cause a device to stop responding and eventually shut down via a flooding attack.

The vulnerability is reported in KDL-32CX525. Other versions may also be affected.

qabbaan
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
There are plenty of wireless keyboards available if one really can't live without it. I don't see why that would be a hurdle, long-term.

Sure a few specialized functions like editing HD video will remain functions for high end workstations, not necessarily PC workstations (this is an ironic example, as Apple's Final Cut is the leader in this area already)

But 99% of computing is low power these days and tablets will be what everyone is using ten years from now.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Sure a few specialized functions like editing HD video will remain functions for high end workstations, not necessarily PC workstations (this is an ironic example, as Apple's Final Cut is the leader in this area already)

ROFL

Final Cut is a piece of shit.

And FYI, Mac desktops are ridiculously fucking overpriced. You know what it costs for an six-core Mac setup? Close to four fucking grand. LMAO

Just stupid, unnecessary price inflation.

qabbaan
04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Feature films are made with Final Cut, you must be doing some high end stuff if it's not good enough for you.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Feature films are made with Final Cut, you must be doing some high end stuff if it's not good enough for you.

Yeah, big deal. It's not the industry leader.

loochy
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah, big deal. It's not the industry leader.

If it's made by Apple, it is by default! Viva la Apple!

qabbaan
04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
If more than half the films made today are made with Final Cut, would you still consider it a piece of shit? What are you using?

Bearcat
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
ROFL

And FYI, Mac desktops are ridiculously ****ing overpriced. You know what it costs for an six-core Mac setup? Close to four ****ing grand. LMAO

Just stupid, unnecessary price inflation.

The 17" MacBook has pretty similar specs compared to my laptop... the MacBook is $2400. I bought my laptop for $1100.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
If more than half the films made today are made with Final Cut, would you still consider it a piece of shit? What are you using?

Half the films today are NOT made with Final Cut. ROFL

qabbaan
04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Half the films today are NOT made with Final Cut. ROFL

They were around 50% market share as of a few years ago. Some people were put off by the redesign last year, regardless, they are right there with their two main competitors. I dont do professional level video editing but you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
They were around 50% market share as of a few years ago. Some people were put off by the redesign last year, regardless, they are right there with their two main competitors. I dont do professional level video editing but you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Avid is the industry standard you goof.

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
There are plenty of wireless keyboards available if one really can't live without it. I don't see why that would be a hurdle, long-term.

But 99% of computing is low power these days and tablets will be what everyone is using ten years from now.

The 90's called, they want their facts back. This is definately not the case anymore.

penguinz
04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
ROFL

And FYI, Mac desktops are ridiculously ****ing overpriced. You know what it costs for an six-core Mac setup? Close to four ****ing grand. LMAO

Just stupid, unnecessary price inflation.Wrong. The hardware in these is far superior to the hardware in your desktop. The Mac Pro's run Server class CPU's and RAM.

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Wrong. The hardware in these is far superior to the hardware in your desktop. The Mac Pro's run Server class CPU's and RAM.

You're ****ing delusional. Ever heard of a Xeon processor? WTF do you think that is?

Apple being the best, greatest thing for digital media creation/editing is about as true as "mac doesn't get viruses".

Edit = Spelling > me.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Wrong. The hardware in these is far superior to the hardware in your desktop. The Mac Pro's run Server class CPU's and RAM.

That's great, bro.

So what the fuck am I supposed to do? Drop two grand on a fucking iMac? ROFL

Once again Apple just isn't meeting my needs.

penguinz
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
You're ****ing delusional. Ever heard of a Xeon processor? WTF do you think that is?It is Intel's server class CPU. What GoChiefs has in his desktop is not a server class CPU.

Apple being the best, greatest thing for digital media creation/editing is about as true as "mac doesn't get viruses".

Edit = Spelling > me.I made no comment about which is better for media creation/editing. You just need to smoke a bowl and relax.

penguinz
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
That's great, bro.

So what the **** am I supposed to do? Drop two grand on a ****ing iMac? ROFL

Once again Apple just isn't meeting my needs.I am not and have not told you what to buy. Just trying to educate you on things you have shown you are lacking knowledge of.

You still have not stated exactly what you do that can not be done on a Mac.

There really is not much these days that can not be done on either platform.

They both have their place.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 12:17 PM
You still have not stated exactly what you do that can not be done on a Mac.

I'm sure I could do what I do on a Mac...by booting into Windows 7. ROFL

No point in buying a Mac to do that.

Especially a FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR Mac. ROFL

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
It is Intel's server class CPU. What GoChiefs has in his desktop is not a server class CPU.

I made no comment about which is better for media creation/editing. You just need to smoke a bowl and relax.

Sure, Go Chiefs may not have one, but i'm sitting 3 feet from a PC desktop that does have one, actually two, and that can edit HD in real time. Should be mentioned, that I'm at home, not at work, this is not a server but just a desktop.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Sure, Go Chiefs may not have one, but i'm sitting 3 feet from a PC desktop that does have one, actually two, and that can edit HD in real time. Should be mentioned, that I'm at home, not at work, this is not a server but just a desktop.

Sweet setup bro. Cost? What's in the guts? Where'd you get it?

penguinz
04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Sure, Go Chiefs may not have one, but i'm sitting 3 feet from a PC desktop that does have one, actually two, and that can edit HD in real time. Should be mentioned, that I'm at home, not at work, this is not a server but just a desktop.:)

I would never spend my own money an a Mac because for anything I do I do not need to spend that kind of $. That being said I use a MacBook Pro because my work provides it for me.

Working with both platforms all day long I can tell you that in general the Apple hardware is superior. Running Win 7 on a Mac Pro and an almost identically spec'd PC the Mac hardware does seem to perform better.

One benefit to the way Apple does things is that you do not have to worry about crappy driver coding from a million different vendors. This is going to make a better performing and more stable system.

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Sweet setup bro. Cost? What's in the guts? Where'd you get it?

It's actually a Dell Precision. And it was about $4500 I believe originally. It is a lot more expensive than a standard PC. But Xeon processors are expensive, this line of PC's are designed for high end jobs, servers, developer machines, and we have bought several batchs for video editing. I work for a school and we use these in our video editing lab.

loochy
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
benchmark test battle!

GO!

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
:)

I would never spend my own money an a Mac because for anything I do I do not need to spend that kind of $. That being said I use a MacBook Pro because my work provides it for me.

Working with both platforms all day long I can tell you that in general the Apple hardware is superior. Running Win 7 on a Mac Pro and an almost identically spec'd PC the Mac hardware does seem to perform better.

One benefit to the way Apple does things is that you do not have to worry about crappy driver coding from a million different vendors. This is going to make a better performing and more stable system.

Can't argue this one bit. Apple is more of a hardware company than a software company. When you only have to program for a specific set of hardware, you can make stuff that runs awesomely. As opposed to Winows that has to make sure everything under the sun can be used on it's machines, there is just a lot more room for error.

penguinz
04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
It's actually a Dell Precision. And it was about $4500 I believe originally. It is a lot more expensive than a standard PC. But Xeon processors are expensive, this line of PC's are designed for high end jobs, servers, developer machines, and we have bought several batchs for video editing. I work for a school and we use these in our video editing lab.You just destroyed GoChiefs argument about the 8-core MacPro having an inflated price. :)

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
You just destroyed GoChiefs argument about the 8-core MacPro having an inflated price. :)

Not really, the mac equivalant is almost double.

TBH, most home editing can be done on almost any modern machine, Windows or Mac, that didn't come loaded with XP or the equivalent Mac OS on it. Anything bought in the last two years can do the job just fine for most people. But I was arguing that the high end stuff can only be done on Macs when I'm sitting right next to a machine that can do all of it for a lot less.

Fish
04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Not really, the mac equivalant is almost double.

TBH, most home editing can be done on almost any modern machine, Windows or Mac, that didn't come loaded with XP or the equivalent Mac OS on it. Anything bought in the last two years can do the job just fine for most people. But I was arguing that the high end stuff can only be done on Macs when I'm sitting right next to a machine that can do all of it for a lot less.

Uhh... no... just last month I purchased a Mac Pro with 8-core Xeon, 12GB RAM, a 512GB SSD HD, 3 1TB SATA drives in a Raid5 array, 1GB Radeon 5770 for $5500. It's hosting multiple VMs, along with our DeployStudio server. Two NICs in a link aggregated setup, giving insane throughput and bandwidth.

The "Macs are twice the price" myth hasn't been a valid criticism in a long time.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
But what IS a valid criticism is that they don't actually produce a machine I have a use for.

Their iMacs are under-equipped, their desktops are over-equipped. Don't need a laptop.

Mac has failed horribly to attract my buck.

Fish
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
But what IS a valid criticism is that they don't actually produce a machine I have a use for.

Their iMacs are under-equipped, their desktops are over-equipped. Don't need a laptop.

I'll let Apple know that you're not personally satisfied with their model offerings.

I'm not sure how you can say the iMacs are under-equipped though. I support several departments that use iMacs in their professional video production. They used big Mac towers in the past, but the new iMacs are more than enough for producing professional video.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I'll let Apple know that you're not personally satisfied with their model offerings.

I'm not sure how you can say the iMacs are under-equipped though. I support several departments that use iMacs in their professional video production. They used big Mac towers in the past, but the new iMacs are more than enough for producing professional video.

Yeah sorry, not using anything that isn't at least six cores.

Oh, and it must have a video capture card, can I get one of those in an iMac?

I'm also going to need an output for a second monitor (via DVI), got that?

If you can even cobble all that together in an iMac, now tell me how much that's going to cost. ROFL

penguinz
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM

I'm not sure how you can say the iMacs are under-equipped though. I support several departments that use iMacs in their professional video production. They used big Mac towers in the past, but the new iMacs are more than enough for producing professional video.Come on dude. A quad core Intel i5/i7, up to 16GB ram is not enough to play solitaire let alone rips off video from TV.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Come on dude. A quad core Intel i5/i7, up to 16GB ram is not enough to play solitaire let alone rips off video from TV.

Shut the fuck up. I want my six cores. Mac can eat shit if they're not gonna offer that.

NewChief
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Since you pirate all your software, the software companies who you actually use have also failed, I suppose.

Fish
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah sorry, not using anything that isn't at least six cores.

Oh, and it must have a video capture card, can I get one of those in an iMac?

I'm also going to need an output for a second monitor (via DVI), got that?

If you can even cobble all that together in an iMac, now tell me how much that's going to cost. ROFL

LOL....

Yes, you can get a video capture card. We use Firewire vid capture cards. That way you can use them on any Mac we have. Since all Macs have Firewire and have for a long time. You can also easily add a second monitor. That feature has always been available too.

You can pat yourself on the back for your cpu core requirement though. If that makes you feel better...

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
LOL....

Yes, you can get a video capture card. We use Firewire vid capture cards.

Wait wait, I don't think you understand what I want. I don't want fucking firewire. I want a PCI-E video card that captures through HDMI. I want two PCI-E cards in this iMac.

Can you do that for me?

And you're damn straight I'll pat myself on the back. Mac can suck a cock for not offering six-core systems at a reasonable price.

Deberg_1990
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Once again u fail to see that your a "niche" market now days. That's fine, but it is what it is.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Once again u fail to see that your a "niche" market now days. That's fine, but it is what it is.

Why should I give a shit?

Deberg_1990
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Why should I give a shit?

You shouldn't, but u also shouldn't call the rest of the world out just because they don't do what u do.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
You shouldn't, but u also shouldn't call the rest of the world out just because they don't do what u do.

Who the fuck is calling anyone out? All I'm saying is that Macs aren't capable of filling every need a user might have.

I'd fucking kill myself if I was forced to use a Mac.

Fish
04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Wait wait, I don't think you understand what I want. I don't want fucking firewire. I want a PCI-E video card that captures through HDMI. I want two PCI-E cards in this iMac.

Can you do that for me?

And you're damn straight I'll pat myself on the back. Mac can suck a cock for not offering six-core systems at a reasonable price.

LMAO.... I don't think you know what you want, other than to try and prove me wrong.

Macs have a long standing reputation for professional video creation that can't be denied. I've seen first hand the overwhelming preference for Macs in the video production environment. I'll take the industry's opinion over that of a gif kiddie such as yourself..

Haters gonna hate...

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
LMAO.... I don't think you know what you want, other than to try and prove me wrong.

Macs have a long standing reputation for professional video creation that can't be denied. I've seen first hand the overwhelming preference for Macs in the video production environment. I'll take the industry's opinion over that of a gif kiddie such as yourself..

Haters gonna hate...

Oh, nice deflection.

Answer the fucking question:

Can I get two PCI-E cards in an iMac?

Fish
04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh, nice deflection.

Answer the fucking question:

Can I get two PCI-E cards in an iMac?

No. The iMac only has 1 video card. 2 cards are not necessary.

The Mac Pro allows for multiple video cards.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
No. The iMac only has 1 video card.

Game. Set. Match.

ArrowheadHawk
04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
This thread didn't go the way I expected it to.

cdcox
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I think most programmers would notice this is a silly error. :)

JK man JK

I do agree w/ you, 100.1%

:redface:

Donger
04-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Well, yeah, but I bet they do it with more panache.

Pants
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Uhh... no... just last month I purchased a Mac Pro with 8-core Xeon, 12GB RAM, a 512GB SSD HD, 3 1TB SATA drives in a Raid5 array, 1GB Radeon 5770 for $5500. It's hosting multiple VMs, along with our DeployStudio server. Two NICs in a link aggregated setup, giving insane throughput and bandwidth.

The "Macs are twice the price" myth hasn't been a valid criticism in a long time.

What's with the shit ass video card? 2009 called, they want their video card back.

DRU
04-06-2012, 04:15 PM

I just priced the same machine at pcsforeveryone.com and it comes to $3888.00. That's actually with 16GB RAM instead of 12GB. It also includes a 3 year warranty instead of 1.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
What's with the shit ass video card? 2009 called, they want their video card back.

Bro it's cool. You can swap in a 5870 for only 200 BUCKS EXTRA!
http://i42.tinypic.com/av4pxj.jpg

Fish
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I just priced the same machine at pcsforeveryone.com and it comes to $3888.00. That's actually with 16GB RAM instead of 12GB. It also includes a 3 year warranty instead of 1.

I'd like to see that. I just tried configuring one to match the specs and it's not coming close to that price.

Pants
04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Bro it's cool. You can swap in a 5870 for only 200 BUCKS EXTRA!
http://i42.tinypic.com/av4pxj.jpg

LMAO

DRU
04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd like to see that. I just tried configuring one to match the specs and it's not coming close to that price.

http://sandbox.angelleye.com/temp/computer.pdf

The only difference is they don't offer a 512GB SSD so I had to go with a 300GB. It has a better video card, more RAM, and 2 extra years on the warranty.

Oh, I forgot to remove Windows from it previously, too, since I can just install it myself. Now the price is $3779.00

Fish
04-06-2012, 04:53 PM
http://sandbox.angelleye.com/temp/computer.pdf

The only difference is they don't offer a 512GB SSD so I had to go with a 300GB. It has a better video card, more RAM, and 2 extra years on the warranty.

Oh, I forgot to remove Windows from it previously, too, since I can just install it myself. Now the price is $3779.00

But that's not an equivalent at all. To start, you're quoting a 1.8Ghz proc to my 2.4. The Mac Pro has the following which you left off your quote:

Raid Controller
Wifi
Sound card(with optical out)
DVD Burner
Firewire card
Dual NICs
Bluetooth
Liquid cooling system
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Operating System

The machine you spec'd doesn't even have an optical drive to load the OS you'd have to buy.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Who cares. I'd like a six-core or eight-core system, with dual PCI-E cards, at a reasonable price. Can I get that from Mac?

No?

FUCK OFF AND DIE STEVE JOBS

DRU
04-06-2012, 05:15 PM
But that's not an equivalent at all. To start, you're quoting a 1.8Ghz proc to my 2.4. The Mac Pro has the following which you left off your quote:

Raid Controller
Wifi
Sound card(with optical out)
DVD Burner
Firewire card
Dual NICs
Bluetooth
Liquid cooling system
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Operating System

The machine you spec'd doesn't even have an optical drive to load the OS you'd have to buy.

LOL, you're funny. You never specified the CPU speed. All you said was Xeon. I adjusted the bid to include 2.4. http://sandbox.angelleye.com/temp/computer2.pdf

The RAID controllers (which it has 2 of) are built into the motherboard. No need to spend the extra $700 for a single RAID card like Apple charges. Same with the sound card (with optical) and dual gigabit NICs. This is pretty much standard on any PC mobo these days.

FireWire I couldn't give a shit about. Pretty much the only devices that use it are Mac devices, and if I ever did need one I can pick up a FW800 card for less than $50.

A bluetooth dongle is maybe $2.00. Same with a WiFi dongle, although, a machine like this would be much better off plugged in with Gigabit than messing with WiFi anyway.

I mentioned before I took the OS off because I can install that easily myself. And you don't need an optical drive to install an OS, by the way. A USB thumb drive works great and is faster. I don't think I've used an actual disc of any kind in years.

I've got about 10 wireless keyboards and mice sitting in my closet right now, but if you really want to be picky we could add another $100 for a nice set.

So the new bid with the 2.4 CPU comes to $4,007.00. Then we can go ahead and add $50 for a useless FireWire card, I'll even give you another $50 (way too much) for a wifi and bluetooth dongle. That puts us at $4107.00. Still a cool $1393 cheaper than your Mac.

Oh, and Apple doesn't offer liquid cooling when you purchase it from them. If that's something you've done after the fact, then great, but it's really only necessary if you're doing some serious overclocking, and now we're talking about an entirely different ball game. Even if we continue to play that game, though, a liquid cooling system is another $100, so we're still $1200 cheaper with more RAM, better video card, and 2 extra years on the warranty.

Another thing worth mentioning is that pcsforeveryone is the only site I'm pricing from. This same machine could probably be found cheaper with more shopping.

Epic Fail 007
04-06-2012, 05:21 PM
duh!

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
The RAID controllers (which it has 2 of) are built into the motherboard. No need to spend the extra $700 for a single RAID card like Apple charges. Same with the sound card (with optical) and dual gigabit NICs. This is pretty much standard on any PC mobo these days.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18013495.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
you pc fanbois just dont get it. mac is the best. when i want something that works for a long time and makes me happy i buy a mac. when i want something that is worthless as soon as i walk out of the computer store and pisses me off everytime i try and use it ill buy a pc.

easy choice.

DRU
04-06-2012, 05:44 PM
you pc fanbois just dont get it. mac is the best. when i want something that works for a long time and makes me happy i buy a mac. when i want something that is worthless as soon as i walk out of the computer store and pisses me off everytime i try and use it ill buy a pc.

easy choice.

I'm a fan of both of them. I just love computers in general.

I've got 4 windows workstations here that I've had running Windows 7 since the day (actually before the day) it was released. Never had a single issue with any of them. They're all very solid workstations.

As far as that goes, OSX is solid, too. I have a Macbook Pro that I use for OSX and iOS development. It does things differently, but they're both solid OS's. The real discussion here became price and how much more expensive Apple is, which is simply true.

No computer becomes worthless very quickly anymore. Hardware isn't speeding up as fast as it used to, and you don't have to have a top-notch machine to keep up with technology anymore like you used to, regardless of what OS it runs.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
lac is just trollin'

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/15323097.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
04-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Ignorance must be bliss.

I've got 4 windows workstations here that I've had running Windows 7 since the day (actually before the day) it was released. Never had a single issue with any of them. They're all very solid workstations.

As far as that goes, OSX is solid, too. It does things differently, but they're both solid OS's. The real discussion here became price and how much m ore expensive Apple is, which is simply true.

No computer becomes worthless very quickly anymore. Hardware isn't speeding up as fast as it used to, and you don't have to have a top-notch machine to keep up with technology anymore like you used to, regardless of what OS it runs.

A Mercedes is more expensive than a Nissan too. Nissans may be a nice car but theres a reason for that.

DRU
04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
A Mercedes is more expensive than a Nissan too. Nissans may be a nice car but theres a reason for that.

One one hand I'd say that's not a good analogy, but on the other I'd say it's perfect.

One the one, I don't know near as much about cars as I do computers, but I would venture to say that Mercedes and Nissan probably build their cars quite a bit differently. Mercedes and Nissan probably have different procedures involved with how their engines are built and lots of the other things that go into building a car. If Mercedes truly builds theirs better and puts more time and energy, and in turn, cost, into building that machine then it makes sense it would cost more money.

On the other hand, though, if you have a Mercedes and a Nissan sitting side by side with the same exact engine, the same transmission, the same features, etc. The only difference is one says Mercedes and the other says Nissan, then yeah, people would pay more for the Mercedes because of the fact they've been told all their lives by marketing geniuses that Mercedes is the best of the best. It makes them feel like they're a higher status than the person in the Nissan, too, and the Mercedes may be more shiny and cool looking. Great, if that's what you want to pay extra for, by all means do it.

What we're talking about here is comparing 2 computers with the same specs. One built by Apple and one built by any 3rd party. The same exact hardware specs are much more expensive in any Apple product and this simply cannot be denied.

Again, though, I ain't hatin on them for that. More power to them. Personally, though, I'd rather save the $1200 I've mentioned here and buy the machine from pcsforeveryone. Then, if I really prefer OSX I could install that on it and I'd have exactly the same machine (even better with more ram and longer warranty) for much less money.

kaplin42
04-06-2012, 07:29 PM

easy choice.

:spock: Ignorance is not a weapon to argue with.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
DON'T RESPOND TO LATROLL

L.A. Chieffan
04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Lol

Brooklyn
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Thunderbolt expansion chasis. Put as many PCI-E cards as you want. Just using the standard Thunderbolt ports on the host system affords you the ability to add an AJA IoXT which gives you monitoring and ingest.

What do you need a capture card for anyway? I can't think of a single market camera that isn't 100% digital already anyway. Alexa, RED, 5D/7D, EX-3, iPhone, GoPro, Kodak, Flip...everything is file based ingestion.

Unless you need the capture card to bring in TV shows and sports games off broadcast television, but I thought we are talking about a professional application?

I know you cited Avid as the industry standard, but you still never mentioned what software you use? Is it Avid? What's your rig?

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Unless you need the capture card to bring in TV shows and sports games off broadcast television, but I thought we are talking about a professional application?

Yeah, no shit? You think that's what it might be? ROFL

Silly mac users.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2012, 10:09 PM
HOLY FUCK! That Thunderbolt bullshit costs almost A THOUSAND DOLLARS.

And it's available for "preorder."

Nice solution, mac users.

Brooklyn
04-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, no shit? You think that's what it might be? ROFL

Silly mac users.

It was a legitimate question. I know you do this stuff for hobby, but I don't know if you do it professionally also, so I was genuinely curious. Again, what software/hardware do you use? Relax, I'm not trying to catch you out so I can try and one up you or drop bombs on why your solution is inferior. I work in the industry, so it is always fun to talk shop.

Bob Dole
04-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I need full featured matlab and maple so that doesn't work for me either

It's called Parallels and matlab and Maple run just fine. As more places move to virtual desktop environments it will matter even less.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob Dole
04-07-2012, 03:33 PM
The 17" MacBook has pretty similar specs compared to my laptop... the MacBook is $2400. I bought my laptop for $1100.

Will your laptop run OSX?

(Bob Dole isn't an Apple fanboy. Just making a point.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
04-07-2012, 03:37 PM

easy choice.

damn skippy :clap:

Bearcat
04-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Will your laptop run OSX?

(Bob Dole isn't an Apple fanboy. Just making a point.)
Posted via Mobile Device

If it'll run as a virtual machine, sure... and actually, it would have cost less if it wasn't for the Windows tax. :#