PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Another Flooring Question

Stewie
04-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I've taken the carpet out of my finished basement and want to do one of those 2-part epoxy coatings over the concrete. The carpet I just removed was tacked down, but at some point there was carpet glued to the concrete.

My question is what's the best way to prep the concrete? It has rough areas from old glue. Can I get a floor sander with a really abrasive sanding belt? Or is it just a sharp scraper with some elbow grease?

Any suggestions for the best epoxy coatings? Rust-Oleum has a 2-part water-based low odor epoxy for a good price. Is it any good?

chiefs2012
04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
WHERE THE HELL IS PHIL?

mikeyis4dcats.
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
A razor scraper and elbow grease is the easiest method. You will want to etch the concrete with acid before painting it though. And if you have ANY moisture at all it will be bad long term.

Stewie
04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
A razor scraper and elbow grease is the easiest method. You will want to etch the concrete with acid before painting it though. And if you have ANY moisture at all it will be bad long term.

Fortunately the basement is dry. I have a dehumidifier that runs occasionally but there's little moisture down there unless we get rains for days at a time.

Is the etching for the epoxy necessary for a floor that isn't completely smooth? I figured the etching was for the epoxy to get a toe-hold. This certainly won't be a perfectly smooth pristine surface even after removing the remnants of previous flooring.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Fortunately the basement is dry. I have a dehumidifier that runs occasionally but there's little moisture down there unless we get rains for days at a time.

Is the etching for the epoxy necessary for a floor that isn't completely smooth? I figured the etching was for the epoxy to get a toe-hold. This certainly won't be a perfectly smooth pristine surface even after removing the remnants of previous flooring.

etching removes any surface contaminants as well as giving "tooth" to the floor.

even occasional moisture will cause a painted floor to bubble and peel.

do a simple test, take saran wrap and duct tape an 12"x12" piece to the floor. Check after 2 days to see if there is ANY sign of condensation.

Stewie
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
etching removes any surface contaminants as well as giving "tooth" to the floor.

even occasional moisture will cause a painted floor to bubble and peel.

do a simple test, take saran wrap and duct tape an 12"x12" piece to the floor. Check after 2 days to see if there is ANY sign of condensation.

Thanks Mikey. I don't think much moisture comes up through the floor. I think the moisture/humidity comes through the walls. I want to address that, too.

When the carpet/pad was removed there was no evidence of any moisture and there were no signs of mold/mildew on the pad. I'm not sure if that means it's adequate to do what I want to do.

Frankie
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
WHERE THE HELL IS PHIL?

Too busy checking out a small penis.