PDA

View Full Version : Impact skill players late in the draft.

O.city
04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Thought this would be a cool idea for a thread.

Who are some playmakers at skill positions that could be had later in the draft.

I like Ty Hilton as he has had his name thrown around a little. I think he could be alot like the guy from Kentucky that the Packers picked up last year. Isiah Pead (sp?) is intriguing as well.

O.city
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I think Wright and Adams from Arkansas are intriguing slot wr's and return guys.

Direckshun
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
This thread needs more play.

I'll name each skill position, and my favorite player at that position per projected round.

QBs I like late:
* Nick Foles (4th)
* Austin Davis (5th)
* Russell Wilson (6th)
* Case Keenum (7th)

Foles is sadly falling to the midrounds -- I think he will surprise. People forget he carried that horrendous team and had to make NFL throws. Davis is a high-character four-year-starter. Wilson is a boom-or-bust guy out of Wisconsin's pro-style system, and Keenum is from a gadget offense but looked so ungodly good in it I would love to spend a pick on him.

RB:
* Vick Ballard (4th)
* Tauren Poole (5th)
* Cyrus Gray (6th)
* Branden Bolden (7th)

It's a deep RB class this year with bigger runners, and I think Ballard is a second day pick if it's a non-deep year at his position or if he played in a halfway decent offense. Poole is absolutely perfect as a rotational back in the ZBS. Gray is an incredibly hard working jack-of-all-trades. Bolden's a good goal line back.

WRs:
* Ryan Broyles (4th)
* TJ Graham (5th)
* Chris Owusu (6th)
* Travis Benjamin (7th)

I hate the depth in this class. Broyles is a great worker but he's an investment -- he's going to need to be brought to speed slowly due to his injury. Graham, Owusu, and Benjamin all suck as receivers -- but they're speed demons, so I'll take a flyer if I have to.

Direckshun
04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Forgot the TEs. Another class of late picks that I hate.

TEs:
* Deangelo Peterson (4th)
* James Hanna (5th)
* Evan Rodriguez (6th)
* Drake Dunsmore (7th)

I like Dunsmore because he was able to be pretty damn resourceful in Northwestern when plays got extended. Rodriguez is versatile, but bleh. Hanna's just a one-dimensional gazelle. Peterson is a guy, so.

Frosty
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I would take Owusu in the 6th in a heartbeat. The guy is a good deep threat. The only real concern is his concussion history.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
I would take Owusu in the 6th in a heartbeat. The guy is a good deep threat. The only real concern is his concussion history.

The only real concern is that he didn't really do shit with the best QB in the league throwing him the ball.

The Franchise
04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I would gladly take Foles in the 4th and then trade back into the 4th to grab Broyles.

Frosty
04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
The only real concern is that he didn't really do shit with the best QB in the league throwing him the ball.

The problem is that he wasn't on the field much due to injuries. He produced when healthy. You have to remember that even with "the best college QB", Stanford was very run heavy and Luck tended to throw to the TE's when he did throw. Owusu was their deep threat and, as a fan of a team in the same conference, I'm glad he is leaving Stanford so I don't have to watch him torch my team anymore.

Multi-talented senior is coming off an injury-plagued junior campaign which forced him to miss six games … when healthy, is a proven game-changer at wide receiver and on kickoff returns … has 67 career receptions for 1,158 yards (17.3) and eight receiving touchdowns in 25 career games (12 starts) … electrifying kickoff return man who is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball … has averaged 27.9 yards (1,955 total) in his 70 career kickoff returns … kickoff return average ranks first on Stanford's all-time career list while his yardage total ranks second all-time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631918

Oh - and "yes, please" to Foles in the 4th.

O.city
04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I saw him on Grudens qb camp thing, but don't know much about him.

Someone tell me about Osweiler. I really liked the way he spoke and carried himself.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I think Wright and Adams from Arkansas are intriguing slot wr's and return guys.

^^^This, along with Broyles.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
The problem is that he wasn't on the field much due to injuries. He produced when healthy. You have to remember that even with "the best college QB", Stanford was very run heavy and Luck tended to throw to the TE's when he did throw. Owusu was their deep threat and, as a fan of a team in the same conference, I'm glad he is leaving Stanford so I don't have to watch him torch my team anymore.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631918

Oh - and "yes, please" to Foles in the 4th.

Do not want Foles. He's a much worse version of Flacco.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
If Joe Adams or Wright are hanging around in the 5th, they would be a huge steal.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
If Joe Adams or Wright are hanging around in the 5th, they would be a huge steal.

No way Adams falls that much. Wright, maybe. Probably take by someone in the 3rd or 4th, IMO.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Either one of those guys are built absolutely perfect to be a slot/return guy.

I think Adams might be close to what Jackson is for the eagles.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
^^Yup. Joe is gonna be a stud. Would love to have him and would also be willing to burn a 2nd on him.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I would really think hard about it.

If we could trade back in the first a bit and grab and extra 2 or 3 and he was ther ein the 3, wouldn't think twice about it.

Coogs
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I would really think hard about it.

If we could trade back in the first a bit and grab and extra 2 or 3 and he was ther ein the 3, wouldn't think twice about it.

Might have to stand in line...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18425809/nfl-exec-half-of-the-teams-in-the-top-10-are-trying-to-trade-out

NFL Exec: 'Half of the teams in the top 10 are trying to trade out'

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman made waves a few days ago when he commented that he'd be willing to make a trade out of the No. 3 overall pick while his team was on the clock. While last moment deals are common over the course of the NFL draft, don't fool yourself into thinking that these deals aren't being discussed long before the curtains are raised at Radio City Music Hall. In fact, one NFL executive told me to anticipate plenty of fireworks as "half of the teams in the top 10 are trying to trade out."

Of course, the biggest trade is the one that was already made when the Washington Redskins dealt three first round picks to the St. Louis Rams to position themselves at pick No. 2 to land Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III. Of course, it is widely assumed that the Indianapolis Colts will take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the first pick.

With the Cleveland Browns, owners of the fourth overall pick, thought to be strongly considering taking Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Spielman has let it be known that the No. 3 pick is available to any team that wants to come get him before Cleveland.

The Browns have publicly stated that they will not trade up in this year's draft, but that may not stop them from moving down.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 5) and the Miami Dolphins (No. 8) appear to be especially likely to consider trading down due to the number of holes on their current roster as well as the fact that each club is now operating under a new head coach.

Likewise, the Buffalo Bills, owners of the 10th overall pick have a clear need at offensive tackle but many feel that anyone other than USC left tackle Matt Kalil would be a reach at this spot. Kalil is widely expected to be Minnesota's choice at No. 3... assuming the Vikings remain there, that is.

Buckle up, NFL draft fans... It is almost here...

Nightfyre
04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
There is no one worth trading up to get, imo.

Micjones
04-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Chris Polk anybody?

Titty Meat
04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Adrien Robinson could be a Jimmy Graham like player.

Coogs
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
This guy seems like a guy to keep an eye on. I not so sure that we were not one of the teams at this pro day to be honest...

2012 NFL Draft Sleeper: South Dakota State WR Dale Moss Has Amazing Pro DayBy Sigmund Bloom(NFL Draft Lead Blogger) on March 23, 2012 30,923 reads

WR Dale Moss has outstanding straight-line speed, but his three-cone time is what will really get NFL scouts' attention (courtesy of KSFY)

A deep third-day NFL draft crop of wide receivers got even deeper on Thursday, as South Dakota State wide receiver Dale Moss put up a set of numbers that might have even topped Stephen Hill's combine performance if Moss had done it in Indianapolis.

The 6'3", 213-pound receiver ran a 4.45 40-yard dash, according to the Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan, and Scout.com's Aaron Wilson reported that some scouts timed Moss as fast as 4.38. Those numbers would be impressive enough, but the YDP&D also gives us these astounding results:

An eye-popping 41.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet-10 in the broad jump, and a 6.32 in the 3-cone drill.

As the article points out, the vertical would have been the second best at any position, and three-cone would have been the best.

The three-cone drill tests lateral agility, which is crucial for wide receivers who want to create separation from defensive backs by having crisp and sudden breaks in their routes. Shorter players usually ace it, and long-limbed receivers like Moss usually struggle a bit because of their body type (which is an advantage when comes time to haul in a pass).

For comparison's sake, the fastest three-cone time at the combine was Florida WR/RB Chris Rainey, who is 5'8" and 180 pounds.

Moss clearly inherited some of the genes that helped his uncle, Johnny Rodgers, win the Heisman Trophy with Nebraska in 1972. Moss was actually a basketball player at SDSU, but he had an extra year of athletic eligibility because he played as a true freshman.

In that one year, Moss caught 61 passes for 949 yards and six touchdowns. Wilson reports that 10 teams were in attendance, but all 32 will be hearing about this performance and thinking about placing a bet on the third day that Moss is the next small-school wonder at wide receiver.