PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you know people that hate things just because you like it?

lcarus
04-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I know several people that hate things only because I like it. Mostly people from work. Do you know what I'm talkin about? There's just certain people that can only really get into a movie, tv show, band, book, or whatever...as long as it's something they "discovered" on their own. If you recommend something to them, they just won't like it because you recommended it. Is that some kind of mental condition?

Planetman
04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I know people like that. They are called Denver, Oakland and San Diego fans.

KcMizzou
04-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Either you're a dick. Or...

You're just finding out about all the cool shit first. People like to discover something cool on their own now and then. (like powdering their balls)

KcMizzou
04-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Seriously though, I understand what you're saying.

I have this friend who just WILL NOT watch "The Wire". I honestly believe if he'd seen it first, he'd bug the hell out of me to watch it.

But since I did, it's all "Meh... I don't like cop shows."

Seriously? Fuck you.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Seriously though, I understand what you're saying.

I have this friend who just WILL NOT watch "The Wire". I honestly believe if he'd seen it first, he'd bug the hell out of me to watch it.

But since I did, it's all "Meh... I don't like cop shows."

Seriously? Fuck you.

Yeah exactly. I'm all for people having their own tastes and opinions, but I know a couple people who have so much in common with me when it comes to entertainment that I find it hard to believe that everything I recommend gets a "meh" at best...if they even bother with it at all.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 01:08 AM
and yeah I need to watch The Wire. I've heard it was amazing. I get the same response with these people when I tell them to watch House. "I don't like stupid medical dramas". It's like, really dude? I hope you drown in an above-ground pool of magma.

pr_capone
04-08-2012, 01:10 AM
I fucking hate this thread.

KcMizzou
04-08-2012, 01:11 AM
I ****ing hate this thread.Try the ball powder thread.

pr_capone
04-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Try the ball powder thread.

Do you like that thread?

KcMizzou
04-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Do you like that thread?.... Is this a trap? No. It sucks.

pr_capone
04-08-2012, 01:15 AM
.... Is this a trap? No. It sucks.

Hrm... I will go check it out then.

Dallas Chief
04-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Mrs.

scho63
04-08-2012, 06:24 AM
It's usually the same people who always have the "bigger fish" story

JD10367
04-08-2012, 06:27 AM
It's usually the same people who always have the "bigger fish" story

This. Or it's not that they hate them just because you like it, but they always have what they think is a better option. "Hey, I do X." "Really? That's dumb. Why don't you do Y instead, it's much better."

Marcellus
04-08-2012, 07:39 AM
I have a friend who is usually on top of trendy things before they are mainstream but once it becomes main stream he thinks its horrible.

For example he introduced me to The Kings Of Leon years and years ago. I ended up really liking their music.

They gained popularity and became somewhat mainstream and now he doesn't like them at all.

He also dislikes all of the really good restaurants in town ( I am talking the good ones not the chain brands) and prefers soccer over other sports.

I have told him repeatedly he thinks he should be English (no offense Donger).

In fact he is working on a doctorate in Ancient British History or something like that.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2012, 08:23 AM
and yeah I need to watch The Wire. I've heard it was amazing. I get the same response with these people when I tell them to watch House. "I don't like stupid medical dramas". It's like, really dude? I hope you drown in an above-ground pool of magma.

Maybe they just don't like stupid medical dramas. I sure the hell don't watch them and I don't have someone badgering me about it.

hometeam
04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Everyone knows these people.

These people are called douchenozzles.

Setsuna
04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Yes. The Gators. This whole board besides DaKC.

gblowfish
04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
The Mrs.
She's that way about all my friends.

KurtCobain
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes. The Gators. This whole board besides DaKC.

You like the gators? I'm following hate south east now.

Setsuna
04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
You like the gators? I'm following hate south east now.

Dude go back in that pedo thread, no one likes you. Seriously.

KurtCobain
04-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Dude go back in that pedo thread, no one likes you. Seriously.

I felt like I should get out of there now that I'm wearing pants.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe they just don't like stupid medical dramas. I sure the hell don't watch them and I don't have someone badgering me about it.

Hell I don't either. House is different than ER or Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Hope. That isn't the point though. The dude just doesn't like anything that I like, unless it's something that we both previously saw and liked. If it's something he's already seen and enjoyed, and I mention it, it's fine.

Megbert
04-08-2012, 10:34 AM
My GF is a bit like this. I had screening passes to see Slumdog Millionaire. I showed her the trailer and she was like 'meh'. So I went alone. Cut to 3 months later and it wins the Oscar for best film and 1 of her coworkers wants to see it. So we go see it. Same thing with Breaking Bad, Up, etc etc.

DJJasonp
04-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Not that these exist anymore....but back in the day, people who worked in record/CD stores were famous for being haters.

They would like a band or artist....but as soon as they sold more than 500 albums/CD's...they instantly turned into haters.

There are a certain group of people who are the ultimate devil's advocate....on pretty much everything.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
My GF is a bit like this. I had screening passes to see Slumdog Millionaire. I showed her the trailer and she was like 'meh'. So I went alone. Cut to 3 months later and it wins the Oscar for best film and 1 of her coworkers wants to see it. So we go see it. Same thing with Breaking Bad, Up, etc etc.

I'd imagine girlfriends and wives are particularly bad about this. My brother and I watch a crapload of zombie shit, and she just hates it. She says she hates the violent nature of it. But...she's obsessed with vampire or witch shit. Literally ANYTHING that has to do with vampires or witches, regardless of how awful it is, and she'll watch it. It may not be quite as violent as zombie stuff, but it's still violent most of the time.

PS - Fuck Buffy and Charmed. Those two shows can die in a burning aids tree fire

BWillie
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
These are probably the same ppl who think all popular mainstream music is terrible, and mock you when you say you had a good steak at Outback because surely good food cannot come from a national chain restaurant.

KcMizzou
04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
These are probably the same ppl who think all popular mainstream music is terrible, and mock you when you say you had a good steak at Outback because surely good food cannot come from a national chain restaurant..

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I know people like that. They are called Denver, Oakland and San Diego fans.

you hear that? that's the room full of silence for your lame attempt at humor. :clap:

Bearcat
04-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I know several people that hate things only because I like it. Mostly people from work. Do you know what I'm talkin about? There's just certain people that can only really get into a movie, tv show, band, book, or whatever...as long as it's something they "discovered" on their own. If you recommend something to them, they just won't like it because you recommended it. Is that some kind of mental condition?

That fits my older brother perfectly. I would talk to someone about the latest technology, and he would automatically hate it.... he didn't know it existed 25 seconds ago, but it's useless and incredibly stupid that other people like it.

Maybe it's an extreme aversion to change, mixed in with being on the wrong side of the Dunning Kruger Effect. They feel mentally superior to others, so others couldn't have possibly found something they could benefit from... and they also can't wrap their head around how something new and different could benefit them, so they automatically dismiss it.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
That fits my older brother perfectly. I would talk to someone about the latest technology, and he would automatically hate it.... he didn't know it existed 25 seconds ago, but it's useless and incredibly stupid that other people like it.

Maybe it's an extreme aversion to change, mixed in with being on the wrong side of the Dunning Kruger Effect. They feel mentally superior to others, so others couldn't have possibly found something they could benefit from... and they also can't wrap their head around how something new and different could benefit them, so they automatically dismiss it.

One dude in particular, whenever I recommend a tv series, he says "I'm not really into bromances". I think the two series that he said this about were Rescue Me and The Walking Dead. But the asshole raves about Two and a Half Men, so fuck him.

Valiant
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
All the time. Those people or chodes or a various definitions of chode depending on where you are from.

Took me years. To get my friends to watch supernatural,chuch and dr. Who.

Slayer Diablo
04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Either you're a dick. Or...

You're just finding out about all the cool shit first. People like to discover something cool on their own now and then. (like powdering their balls)

^ First reaction. I won't even listen to movie suggestions from one friend because his summary for The Sixth Sense (which he hated and I loved) was "Boy sees dead people, girl throws up, Bruce Willis figures out he's dead."

From the social psychology side, we all want to be liked, be fair, and be right; letting someone recommend stuff to you is an insult to these motivations. If you discover cool stuff on your own, your initial mental image is pure and untainted by another person's bias (giving you fair judgment). It also maximizes your confidence in the fact that you like the thing for what it is and others will too (making you right). Then when you discretely recommend these things to others and they discover how cool this stuff is, they want to be around you and accept your--rare and discrete--recommendations more often (and thus you're better-liked).

We also have a little bit of narcissism (which is a natural human characteristic) tied in with all of this...