PDA

View Full Version : Football The Death of the Workhorse RB

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-death-of-the-workhorse-running-back.html

The Death of the Workhorse RB
As NFL offenses continue to evolve, the demand for a 300-carry running back continues to decrease.

Joe Fortenbaugh
April 09, 2012, 04:00 PM EST

If we’ve learned anything from the theory of evolution as it relates to sports it’s that those who are able to adapt to their constantly changing surroundings are more likely to find success than those who remain content with the status quo.

Take newly crowed Masters Champion Bubba Watson as an example. The current toast of the PGA Tour, Watson averaged 290.38 yards off the tee at Augusta National last week (fourth) with a pink Ping driver that will soon be coming to a municipal golf course near you—much to the dismay of golf purists who likely believe that anyone walking the links with a pink driver is probably better-suited to playing each hole from the red tees.

While Watson’s success at Augusta can be attributed to more than just a powerful tee shot, the 33-year-old from Florida would never have been in position to win his first green jacket had he been playing with the same type of wood driver that Byron Nelson used in 1937. The evolution of technology in the game of golf has allowed players to hit the ball farther, which in turn has made it easier to splash down on the greens now that golfers are hitting their approach shots from closer distances.

And it should come as no surprise that the two golfers who led the field in driving distance on Sunday (Watson and Louis Oosthuizen) were the same two players competing for the green jacket as the Masters went into a sudden-death playoff.

NFL offenses have evolved for the better in a similar fashion to how drivers have improved scoring in the game of golf. Golf club manufacturers have turned to composite metals over wood in the same way that NFL coaches have turned to receivers over running backs.

There was a time when a workhorse running back was a highly coveted commodity in the NFL. Over a five-year span from 1986-1990, 27 running backs were selected during the first round of the NFL Draft, for an average of 5.4 per year.

Compare that to the 28 running backs who were drafted in the first round over a ten-year span from 2002-2011 (2.8 per year) and you will quickly realize that the position doesn’t carry the same level of importance that it did 20-25 years ago.

To put it bluntly, the workhorse running back is a dying breed that finds itself on the brink of extinction in today’s NFL.

Many of you will be quick to point to the success and gaudy stat lines of Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. But Peterson is the once-in-a-decade outlier in this equation. And while the rare specimens with his unique skill set will always have a place in professional football, their presence doesn’t necessarily translate into Super Bowl wins today like it did 20 years ago.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/total_access/SBC.jpg

As you can see from the chart above, the last five Super Bowl Champions reached the sport’s ultimate game with running backs who came nowhere near the production or talent levels of a guy like Peterson. Those five teams won the title because they played excellent defense and got solid play out of the quarterback position. The running game was important, but it wasn’t the reason a Vince Lombardi Trophy was achieved.

But if you compare the last five Super Bowl winners to the five champions from 1995-1999, you’ll notice the featured running backs on the latter teams played a far more significant role in their team’s success. In fact, Terrell Davis won the NFL MVP award in 1998 and Emmitt Smith took home the same prize in 1993. Over the last 11 years, only two running backs (Shaun Alexander, LaDainian Tomlinson) have been named the league’s Most Valuable Player and neither has a Super Bowl win on their resume.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/total_access/SBC1.jpg

*Note: The category “Average Total Carries” reflects the average carries of the playoff running backs listed in column 2.

The chart above illustrates another example of how workhorse running backs are no longer as integral to the achievement of regular season success and trips to the postseason as they were in years past.

At the turn of the millennium, NFL offenses relied on 300+ carry running backs to help get their teams to the playoffs. But take notice that the average amount of carries for workhorse running backs on playoff teams over the last three years has plummeted as low as 259.1 in 2010 as compared to the staggering 317.8 carries that were averaged just 12 years before.

From 1998-2002, four of the five Super Bowl Champions had a running back on the roster who recorded 287 or more carries en route to a title. But in the ten Super Bowls since then, only one team has featured a running back who amassed more than 255 carries in a season (Corey Dillon in 2004 with New England). It’s not rocket science. As NFL offenses continue to build around the passing game, the demand for a workhorse running back who can pound the football 300+ times a season decreases. In fact, only two players eclipsed the 300-carry mark last season (Maurice Jones-Drew, Michael Turner) and neither player notched a playoff win.

But the New York Giants, on the other hand, won February’s Super Bowl with the league’s 32nd-ranked rushing offense and a handful of running backs, none of whom carried the football more than 171 times during the regular season.

This research isn’t meant to imply a lack of value in the running back position. Multi-tool ball carriers like Alabama’s Trent Richardson who can block and catch the ball out of the backfield will almost always have a place in the draft’s top-ten picks.

Just don’t be surprised if he’s the only running back selected during this year’s first round.

Hit me up on Twitter: @JoeFortenbaugh

Hoover
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
And that's why you don't draft Richardson IMO

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
And that's why you don't draft Richardson IMO

You know how I feel about taking a safety that high.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
And that's why punters and kickers should be taken first !

O.city
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Even with this article, I'd still take Richardson in the first if he were there at 11.

Discuss Thrower
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Setsuna
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

THIS.

reschief
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Until . . .a team comes along with a great running back rotation that no defense is used to stopping because the defenses are all built to stop the passing game . . .much like Walsh and the West Coast Offense and the short passing game was so difficult to stop in its era. Charles, Hillis & Richardson starts a new NFL offensive dominance . . .or so we can dream. (dream over, wake up, we need a QB!)

Sorter
04-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Pretty sure the bottom 5 backs all had HOF QBs. You draft Trent if he somehow falls, then trade up to get your QB next year. Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until he had talent at receiver, tight end, and running back.

FloridaMan88
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
The Chiefs... trying to build a run first, pass rarely team are stuck in the past (massive understatement).

Deberg_1990
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
And this is why u don't pass on Clausen!

milkman
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
This artice is unmitigated crap.

The passing game has evolved and become more prevalent in today's NFL, but the fact is, SBs have been won by the best QBs going back to the first one with Bart Starr.

Those rare SB wins by teams with mediocre QBs (Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson) were won by defense.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
This artice is unmitigated crap.

The passing game has evolved and become more prevalent in today's NFL, but the fact is, SBs have been won by the best QBs going back to the first one with Bart Starr.

Those rare SB wins by teams with mediocre QBs (Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson) were won by defense.

It's just stating that smart teams don't rely on one back to get the job done anymore.

J Diddy
04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
THIS.

Aren't you like a Jags fan or some shit?

Gadzooks
04-09-2012, 09:41 PM

You forgot to add Eli to this list.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
You forgot to add Eli to this list.

You forgot to use your brain.

Didn't you guys draft him............and let Brees walk?

Rivers is better than what we have, and puts up good #s, but you probably have a Lombardi with EITHER of those guys.

J Diddy
04-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Rivers is better than what we have, and puts up good #s, but you probably have a Lombardi with EITHER of those guys.

No shit!

lcarus
04-09-2012, 10:18 PM
The Chiefs... trying to build a run first, pass rarely team are stuck in the past (massive understatement).

Building an ungodly rushing offense is the only way to succeed in this era of the NFL...when you don't have a QB worth a shit. You try like hell to get an elite QB, but once you fail, plan B is build a staunch defense and massive rushing offense until you can get an elite QB.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Holy shit. ROFL

The Chargers drafted a Super Bowl winner, and let another Super Bowl winner walk.

Bump
04-09-2012, 10:40 PM
ya, the passing game is more important that ever, but there will be teams again that will the Superbowl relying mostly on their ground game and defense.

Bump
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
but yet, getting that elite QB would make the difference. It's always been like that, always. This isn't really anything knew TBH.

morphius
04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
It doesn't seem that long ago where RBbC was one of the worst things an organization could do around here, lol.

Gadzooks
04-09-2012, 11:30 PM

shEli won his SBs on the backs of his Defenses & Brees was the reason the Chargers had the first pick in the draft with shEli and Rivers. Since you were probably 2 years old in 2003 you wouldn’t know that Brees was the most useless piece of shit QB that season. He sucked teh penis with a 4-12 record.
shEli wasn't an option to draft because his Daddy didn't want him to play in SD, (not enough lucrative endorsements on the west coast).
Brees played awesome once Rivers was drafted but Marty put him in on the last play of the season before he became a FA and he got his shoulder blown out.

I'm not impressed with your 20/20 hindsight. I also can’t see how anyone would have done anything different than the Chargers F.O.given the circumstances.

The shEli band wagon on this board is pathetic. I shudder to think how some on this board would react if Alex Smith won the SB. He would be considered better than Marino because he has a ring.

BryanBusby
04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
shEli won his SBs on the backs of his Defenses & Brees was the reason the Chargers had the first pick in the draft with shEli and Rivers. Since you were probably 2 years old in 2003 you wouldn’t know that Brees was the most useless piece of shit QB that season. He sucked teh penis with a 4-12 record.
shEli wasn't an option to draft because his Daddy didn't want him to play in SD, (not enough lucrative endorsements on the west coast).
Brees played awesome once Rivers was drafted but Marty put him in on the last play of the season before he became a FA and he got his shoulder blown out.

I'm not impressed with your 20/20 hindsight. I also can’t see how anyone would have done anything different than the Chargers F.O.given the circumstances.

The shEli band wagon on this board is pathetic. I shudder to think how some on this board would react if Alex Smith won the SB. He would be considered better than Marino because he has a ring.
God seriously, fuck off with that sheli rivals pun bullshit. It's not funny, or even clever.

Gadzooks
04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
God seriously, **** off with that sheli rivals pun bullshit.

Go fuck yourself, Dipshit

BryanBusby
04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Dipshit? I'm not the one tossing Jason Whitlock inspired "WICKED SICK BURNZ".

Go back to a Chargers board you retarded asshat.

Gadzooks
04-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Obviously, you’re too dense to add anything significant to the argument. I’d be surprised if CP didn’t adopt the shEli moniker if he pulled the same crap on the Chiefs. Instead the majority are in line to bow as though he were the second coming.

BTW - asshat is not funny, or even clever

Bump
04-10-2012, 12:11 AM
It doesn't seem that long ago where RBbC was one of the worst things an organization could do around here, lol.

we really really, really really hated the RBbC. HATED IT! You're right, people quickly forget. Remember how mad we got that Greg Hill never got carries and it was Bennett, Moreau and bunch of other backs I can't remember? We hated that shit.

BryanBusby
04-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Obviously, you’re too dense to add anything significant to the argument. I’d be surprised if CP didn’t adopt the shEli moniker if he pulled the same crap on the Chiefs. Instead the majority are in line to bow as though he were the second coming.

BTW - asshat is not funny, or even clever

Haha what? Eli Manning is shat on a lot, but I guess he's the second coming!

You seem awfully butthurt over the 2004 draft considering San Diego came out pretty damn fine. Get the fuck over it.

BTW - asshat isn't even on the level of fucking awfulness when compared to sheli...because he has WOMANS REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS LOL GET IT

Quesadilla Joe
04-10-2012, 02:53 AM

That and there weren't any franchise QB's in the league at the time besides Favre. Elway, Kelly, Young, Aikman, and Marino were all retired, Peyton Manning was still a pup and nobody knew who the hell Tom Brady was.

Ultra Peanut
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Haha what? Eli Manning is shat on a lot, but I guess he's the second coming!

You seem awfully butthurt over the 2004 draft considering San Diego came out pretty damn fine. Get the fuck over it.

BTW - asshat isn't even on the level of fucking awfulness when compared to sheli...because he has WOMANS REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS LOL GET ITBACK OFF< JACK OFF

fart juice

Extra Point
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
One thing I remember about Watters with the 49ers: the man had good hands, and they picked up a lot of yardage passing the ball to him.

I'd take the second coming of Tony Richardson, over anyone in the draft. Too bad he couldn't close out his career here. The man had great hands, could block, and could carry the rock.

This article doesn't include the number of passes-to and yards-gained of these RBs.

Setsuna
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
MJD says hi...

Hydrae
04-10-2012, 10:57 AM

And that is the perspective that the article didn't take into account. Give me the same years and give me total rushing yards for the team, not for the "top" runner. Then throw in receiving yardage for those same backs. Then we can compare apples to apples and get some real conclusions.

vailpass
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
In today's PlayStation NFL RBs are pretty much a dime a dozen today because every one of them, no mater how good, is going to get injured then it's next man in. You need at least 2 RBs and since they are disposable they can usually be found in FA or later rounds of the draft.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
MJD says hi...

What have the Jags won with him? Congrats on missing the point.

vailpass
04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
MJD says hi...

from his living couch while watching the Superbowl every year.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM

He's helped win dudes fantasy leagues. Guess that is something. Not so much bringing fans to the stadium or NFL playoff games.

TRR
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM

I believe Borat had a living couch as well. It didn't seem to work out so well.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I believe Borat had a living couch as well. It didn't seem to work out so well.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO ick.