PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: The Alternate Route

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I know it's not a late night yet but whatever.

I think one of the things we picked up from the Bengals this past year is that if you don't have a "The Guy" for your chasm-wide QB hole in the first round, taking a second-rounder that you fully believe in can produce fairly successful results.

Say what you will, but right now Andy Dalton is riding a wave of goodwill. With a shit run game and only one receiver (two if you count Gresham), he put in a good season as The Guy.

He worked harder than everybody, proved to be smarter than all of his rookie QB colleagues, and hit the gym immediately to build and NFL body.

Now he heads into this season, with two first-rounders the Bengals could use to fortify his weaponry.

I think this has a valuable lesson: a second-rounder you fully believe in is usually as good as a first round prospect.

Don't take that the wrong way. Elite talent at the QB position is the way to go -- but spending that first rounder on a death plunge of a developmental QB is no better than spending it on a second-rounder you believe can win in this league, and fits every ounce of criteria that you love in a prospect.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs still need to fortify that defensive line once and for all. The quarterback and the defensive line must be settled for the next few years if the Chiefs are going to win in the postseason for years to come.

So, ladies and gentleman, I present to you: The Alternate Route.

Instead of investing everywhere but the QB in 2012, and hope we can get the QB we want in the QB-rich 1st round in 2013 (when we'll probably be drafting in the low- to mid-twenties), how about we take the current course of action:

2012 1st rounder: invest in Brockers, Still, and/or Cox, whichever five tech Pioli & company thinks is the best ten year starter.

2012 2nd rounder (or trade up to the bottom of the 1st if need be): QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State

I know we hate the idea of his age, blah blah. But he's a year younger than Cassel, and about as NFL ready as Cassel is. Let's take a guy who can ascend, go through progressions, have that killer instinct, have multiple-year experience as being The Guy in the locker room, with an incredible arm (best in the draft), and fearless in the face of the passrush.

Weeden has some footwork issues, but his throwing motion is flawless (former Yankees pitcher). He's also a team captain with "plus plus" intangibles. He out-dueled every single elite prospect this year: Luck, RG3, Tannehill. And he plays better when the stakes are high.

Best of all: he is an incredibly hard worker. Which will be needed if he wants to transition seamlessly to an NFL offense, and build an NFL frame (he's a light 6'4, 215 lbs).

2013 1st rounder: there will be three NTs with first round grades coming out in 2013.

Johnathon Hankins, Ohio State -- Absolute animal with some passrushing ability. Top 10 pick?
Star Lotulelei, Utah -- Very Chiefs-friendly. High character, popular with teammates, astronomical upside.
Kwame Geathers, Georgia -- Massive mountain of a man (6'6, 350 lbs), experience as 3-4 nose.

Ladies and gentleman:

QB and DL have been fixed in two years with minimal transition.

Weeden gives us his rookie contract and a short second contract while we continue to build for the future and continue taking stabs at QBs in future drafts.

Our DL is massive: Brockers/Lotulelei/Jackson. Powerful run stuffers across the board, with some shake and bake on passing downs with Bailey and Gilberry.

I can feel you all beaming with pride about how much you love this idea.

Let me shower in your praise.

I will accept the Key to ChiefsPlanet should you all feel so inclined.

OHHH OHHH

I forgot the best part: Drafting Weeden, with a perfect backup in Quinn already on hand, and a developmental guy in Stanzi..........

......allows us to cut Cassel. And invest fully in Weeden.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
What makes you think Weeden is good enough to play like Andy Dalton in his rookie year? He needs just as much coaching and tuning as guys like Tannehill and Foles.

Besides that, I wouldn't trust this coaching staff to start Weeden even if he was ready.

O.city
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm on the Osweiler bandwagon.

I think you just have your normal draft, grab this guy in the third or fourth, and see what happens.

Bewbies
Pass on Weeden. He's too old.

Direckshun
What makes you think Weeden is good enough to play like Andy Dalton in his rookie year? He needs just as much coaching and tuning as guys like Tannehill and Foles.

Besides that, I wouldn't trust this coaching staff to start Weeden even if he was ready.

It's a long shot, I know.

But I love Weeden. I think he's the third-best QB in this draft. I've been sour on RG3, too, so in my fallible mind he may be the second best.

Think of all the things Pioli & company love in a QB, SNR.

Weeden virtually identifies with all criteria.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Pass on Weeden. He's too old.

Ever see (or read) "Moneyball"?

(I'm asking for a reason.)

Bewbies
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Ever see (or read) "Moneyball"?

(I'm asking for a reason.)

Yeah, loved it. I'm not building around a guy that's one of the older on the team as a rookie.

I would have drafted Dalton last year in a heartbeat, but he's not 29.

keg in kc
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
No. Just no.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Weeden virtually identifies with all criteria.A guy drafted in the 6th round or later with a goofy boyish smile whose every response in a press conference begins with, "That's a good question"

Found your guy:

http://www.fantasyfootballsportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Matt-Cassel-Biography-Photos-4.jpeg

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah, loved it.

Perfect.

When it comes to the draft, teams like the Chiefs (draftwise) are a lot like teams like the A's (financially).

When it comes to baseball finances, other teams like the Red Sox and the Tigers can spend gagillions when you can only spend dimes.

When it comes to football drafting, other teams get to draft high when the elite QB talent comes around, whereas we're stuck in the mid- and low-end of the round.

So you have to compromise your lofty ideals to land otherwise-perfectly-fine prospects who are simply graded lower because of certain prejudices against them. Past injury, character issues, age.

Take Weeden's age down even something modest like five years.

Is there no doubt that a 24 year old Brandon Weeden would be a first round pick in the NFL Draft?

There is no doubt.

So teams in our position can compromise our ideals if it means landing a player who, besides his age, is damn near everything you want in a first-round prospect.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
A guy drafted in the 6th round or later with a goofy boyish smile whose every response in a press conference begins with, "That's a good question"

Found your guy:

I know you're just being a smartass.

I'm not.

Crack open "The Patriot Way," and read about QBs.

scho63
04-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Before we draft another late round QB, I would love to see what Stanzi can do. If he ain't got it, let's move on from him but at least fish or cut bait

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Late night bullshit:

http://i.imgur.com/BN513.gif (http://imgur.com/BN513)

O.city
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Thats what I don't really get.

All these second tier qbs that we are likely to draft don't really seem to be much better than what Stanzi could bring to the table.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Thats what I don't really get.

All these second tier qbs that we are likely to draft don't really seem to be much better than what Stanzi could bring to the table.

I would say that's wrong, but I'm a Weeden homer.

First round talent, sucky age.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I know you're just being a smartass.

I'm not.

Crack open "The Patriot Way," and read about QBs.Hard-working, chip-on-the-shoulder-attitude, intense training guys who played college football for at least three years, set a good example in the locker room, and come into the league with well-developed mechanics. Not a qualifier, but it helps if they came from a school that runs a pro offense.

Weeden's got all those things. So does Kirk Cousins.

As did Ricky Stanzi.

What does Weeden have that the other two don't besides a busy calendar full of extra sessions with the QBs coach/offensive assistants?

O.city
04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Weeden came from the spread, which I don't really mind. He also had an all world offense around him. Again don't really mind that.

The age thing gets me a little. I seem to remember that Weeden really struggled at the senior bowl.

O.city
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Direkshun, what are your thoughts on Osweiler?

I've watched alot of his stuff today after watching him on Grudens little talk thing. I am somewhat intrigued by the guy.

Hoover
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
My problem is that I'm not sold on the DL talent at 11.

If we could trade down, I'd be up for anything.

That said, I'm with you on Weeden. I like his arm, I like his maturity, and I love that he is a gamer. I'd lose no sleep with selecting him in the 2nd round.

I know we need to address the DLine, but I'd rather grab Luke Kuechly at 11 and then grab Weeden.

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 07:03 PM

First round talent, sucky age.

me too! OMG - totally a weed homer.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM

First round talent, sucky age.Would you go kiss Carrie Fisher right now?

She's first round talent and sucky age, too.

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kxlRs.png (http://imgur.com/kxlRs)

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Simply Red is Chiefs Planet's own version of Pina Bausch.

And I mean that in a good way.

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
This isn't about me, & I don't know much about her, but this is about your kicking Shun ass! that guy tried to neg me and accidently posi'd me! He's been acting like a real pud lately.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
This isn't about me, & I don't know much about her, but this is about your kicking Shun ass! that guy tried to neg me and accidently posi'd me! He's been acting like a real pud lately.I out-drafted him in the CP Mock Draft, too.

I got your back, bree.

Wallcrawler
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Id like to see what Stanzi can do, considering we never gave him a chance last year. I dont really have a lot of faith in our coaching staff offensively though. Zorn is about the only one with a clue, but he can only do so much.

Crenell and Daboll, those guys collaborated before when Romeo's first tenure as a head coach ended in disaster.

I wanted a nose tackle to shore up that DL once and for all, but it looks like the better choice is to go after someone like Keeklee. Cant spell dude's name, but thats how you say it.

I wouldnt be averse to drafting Decastro at 11 either. Sure, its high to take a guard there, but if he's as good as theyre saying it would be pretty dumb to pass on that kind of talent, especially when it could turn our once laughable O-line into a freaking meat fortress with the addition of DeCastro and Winston.

Thats hard for me to pass up. I remember the 90's when the Chiefs had the best o-line in football. It got taken for granted by me, thats for sure.

O.city
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
One could argue that if you wanna give Stanzi a chance this year, load up on oline and offensive weapons.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Hard-working, chip-on-the-shoulder-attitude, intense training guys who played college football for at least three years, set a good example in the locker room, and come into the league with well-developed mechanics. Not a qualifier, but it helps if they came from a school that runs a pro offense.

Weeden's got all those things. So does Kirk Cousins.

As did Ricky Stanzi.

What does Weeden have that the other two don't besides a busy calendar full of extra sessions with the QBs coach/offensive assistants?

He's a winner.

He plays his best in big games.

He's clutch.

And he has a swagger that neither of those two can match, though I'd say Stanzi comes close.

But mostly, he's just much, much better. Surely you don't believe Weeden = Cousins or Stanzi?

Direkshun, what are your thoughts on Osweiler?

I've watched alot of his stuff today after watching him on Grudens little talk thing. I am somewhat intrigued by the guy.

I really don't like Osweiler. I'm about as down on the guy as anybody on ChiefsPlanet.

I think he's a prospect you're going to need MULTIPLE years grooming. His outstanding size is pretty much just lankiness... I think his mechanics are awful, he's not that great in the face of pressure and he's logged less starting time than Tannehill.

I would avoid. But that's me.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Would you go kiss Carrie Fisher right now?

She's first round talent and sucky age, too.

She is... past her prime. ;)

O.city
04-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I've asked a few times but can't really remember the answer.

What knocked Stanzi to the fifth last year? I mean if guys like Osweiler and Cousins are getting second round grades this year, what happened last year?

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Id like to see what Stanzi can do, considering we never gave him a chance last year. I dont really have a lot of faith in our coaching staff offensively though. Zorn is about the only one with a clue, but he can only do so much.

Crenell and Daboll, those guys collaborated before when Romeo's first tenure as a head coach ended in disaster.

I wanted a nose tackle to shore up that DL once and for all, but it looks like the better choice is to go after someone like Keeklee. Cant spell dude's name, but thats how you say it.

I wouldnt be averse to drafting Decastro at 11 either. Sure, its high to take a guard there, but if he's as good as theyre saying it would be pretty dumb to pass on that kind of talent, especially when it could turn our once laughable O-line into a freaking meat fortress with the addition of DeCastro and Winston.

Thats hard for me to pass up. I remember the 90's when the Chiefs had the best o-line in football. It got taken for granted by me, thats for sure.

Here's the deal: I'm not opposed to giving Stanzi a chance under center if he can earn it.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Stanzi is not the next Tom Brady.

Doesn't mean I don't like him, I do. But he's probably not Tom Brady.

And I'm not going to sit on the sidelines of the QB market if I don't have to simply because of Stanzi.

If you need a QB, you get a QB if you can.

I happen to think we can get a first-round talent at a bargain, simply because people are prejudiced against his age.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 07:47 PM

What knocked Stanzi to the fifth last year? I mean if guys like Osweiler and Cousins are getting second round grades this year, what happened last year?

I don't know if we know.

I had him graded as a second round pick last year.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM

What got Tom Brady knocked to the 6th round?

I'm not saying one equals the other. I'm saying good QBs sometimes fall through the cracks. Teams maybe really need offensive line depth. Or secondary depth. Or maybe they're like the Chiefs this year and they already have a developmental prospect from last year on the roster.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Think of it this way.

The Chiefs trade from their position at #44 to get into the mid-20s to get Weeden.

I know it's a tough trade to make for the guy, but you GOTTA OVERPAY FOR QUARTERBACKS.

To do that would require something like 300 points. So let's overcompensate by trading away our 3rd this year and our 2nd next year.

Onward:

1. Brockers
1. Weeden
4. FS Trenton Robinson, Michigan State
5. RB Vick Ballard, Mississippi State
6. CB Asa Jackson, Cal Poly
7. OG Adam Gettis, Iowa
7. WR Elvis Akpla, Montana State (for Nightfyre)

Next year, bring on Lotulelei at nose.

QB: Weeden, Quinn, Stanzi
RB: Charles, Hillis, Ballard, McCluster

WR: Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Akpla, McCluster
TE: Moeaki, Boss, Maneri

LT: Albert
LG: Lilja, Gettis
C: Hudson, Gettis
RG: Asamoah, Gettis
RT: Winston

DE: Brockers, Bailey
NT: Lotulelei, Powe
DE: Jackson, Bailey

OLB: Hali
ILB: Belcher
ILB: Johnson
OLB: Houston

CB: Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Daniels, Jackson, Brown
S: Berry, Lewis, Robinson

In 2013, draft some depth across the LB corps and keep plucking away in free agency.

keg in kc
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
So we've gone from taking methuselah in the 2nd to trading up and taking him in the first?

Yeah.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
So we've gone from taking methuselah in the 2nd to trading up and taking him in the first?

Yeah.

Optimistically, we would take him in the 2nd.

I'm just playing out a scenario where our hand is forced to move.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
God you guys are lame tonight.

:D

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I've really studied Weeden, and to say he out-dueled those guys is just plain wrong.
Did his team win. Yes they did. But other than Blackmon beast mode-ing on people Weeden looks like hot wet garbage.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure why you would rather trade up for a 29 year old QB this year as opposed to trading back, securing ammo to trade up and draft either Wilson, Bray, Murray, or Barkley(extremely unlikely). Yes, I realize trading down requires finding a partner. Most likely, either Coples, Ingram, Tannehill, or Kuechly will be available at our position. Someone might just want to jump ahead.

Easy 6
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I knew Weeden was an older guy... but only ONE year younger than Cassel, coming into his rookie season?

Brockers might be a potentially stellar end, but that still leaves just unproven Powe as my prototype plug... i WANT that type of Wilfork, Hampton, Washington guy in this defense & will hear no other arguments about it.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
He sucks nuts IMO.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aUbkSR4wtWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I knew Weeden was an older guy... but only ONE year younger than Cassel, coming into his rookie season?

Brockers might be a potentially stellar end, but that still leaves just unproven Powe as my prototype plug... i WANT that type of Wilfork, Hampton, Washington guy in this defense & will hear no other arguments about it.

Just silly. We were in sub packages 60% of the time, usually a 2-4-5 look. Why would you burn a 1st round pick on someone who would probably play 1 down for us? :banghead:

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
He sucks nuts IMO.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aUbkSR4wtWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Ick. I feel no pressing desire to draft this guy at all. That was a very unimpressive performance by Weeden. Winning the game has nothing to do with some serious problems with his accuracy under pressure.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I've really studied Weeden, and to say he out-dueled those guys is just plain wrong.
Did his team win. Yes they did. But other than Blackmon beast mode-ing on people Weeden looks like hot wet garbage.

How did the Stanford game end?

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure why you would rather trade up for a 29 year old QB this year as opposed to trading back, securing ammo to trade up and draft either Wilson, Bray, Murray, or Barkley(extremely unlikely).

Because I fear (a.) they might not all come out, and (b.) there could be a fire sale on those guys, and we'll be stuck with our dicks in our hands because we're drafting at #23 and lack sufficient ammo to compete.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM

Bring Kelly Gregg back for a year.

You can land your stud nose next year.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Because I fear (a.) they might not all come out, and (b.) there could be a fire sale on those guys, and we'll be stuck with our dicks in our hands because we're drafting at #23 and lack sufficient ammo to compete.

Agreed and with the group possibly coming out next year, it could be crazy. Although, it would surprise me to see Bray and Murray stay back to try and secure a #1 status like Barkley. Again, that is why that I would trade back, thus securing sufficient ammo, and prepare for taking one next year with a higher ceiling/longer career. Additionally, if unable to get Bowe signed long-term, we could offer him as trade bait if we would have to trade up into the top 5-10 hypothetically. Granted, not every team there will need a receiver. The more chips you can offer though, the better.

Easy 6
04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Just silly. We were in sub packages 60% of the time, usually a 2-4-5 look. Why would you burn a 1st round pick on someone who would probably play 1 down for us? :banghead:

Even if just on first downs, goal lines, third & shorts... stymie a teams run game & you will rarely be embarrassed in any contest, win or lose.

Control the heart of the line of scrimmage, silly my ass.

BossChief
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Taking Brockers at 11 and then spending two seconds and a third to move up for a 30 year old rookie would be WAYYYY past full retard.

Sorry

I wouldn't even draft Weeden unless he falls to the 4th round.

Take Blackmon off his team and the guy struggles to get drafted.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
How did the Stanford game end?

For those who didn't see it. Stanford's D played like dog shit, Balckmon was Blackmon, OSU D played lights out, and Weeden didn't make one throw worth highlighting to win the game.

It's pretty much all right here, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDqf06WCvSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I like your takes D, but Without Blackmon, and that D, Weeden beats NONE of the QBs you mentioned.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Even in sub package stuff you gotta have some meat on the field. We could have Jackson and Brockers up there in those situations to stop the run.

BossChief
04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Even in sub package stuff you gotta have some meat on the field. We could have Jackson and Brockers up there in those situations to stop the run.

Is Brockers even better than Bailey?

If he is, it's not by much.

Simply Red
so how much of a badass is Winston? I really know nothing about him. He sounds like Andre the Giant when he speaks, so I guess that's a pretty good sign.

RealSNR
The Redskins pretty much sold the farm to acquire RGIII. There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't do the same next year since the talent we could surround our young QB with is far superior to anything the Redskins have.

Trade down, stock up on guards, ILBs, 5-techs, TEs, FBs, and all other thankless fat positions this year. Go into next draft with more ammo and throw everything you've got at a team in an advantageous position.

The Chiefs aren't lucky enough to lose games like the Colts did in 2011. They will be in QB purgatory for decades if they just let the chips fall where they may. If the Chiefs want a franchise QB, they either need to get lucky on Quinn or Stanzi (not likely), take risks on guys like Tannehill, or pay far out the ass.

I don't care which option they choose. Just make it fucking happen.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I've been giving this some thought.

Basically, at 11, every player that you propose the Chiefs to draft, you can look into the draft and find a guy who makes you think "damn, he could be had here and basically fill the need of our first rounder".

IMO thats why you go with the guy with the biggest tallest ceiling in the first. Mercilus or someone of such that has other worldly physical traits.

Then you can look at someone like Decastro for instance. All american guard, great player. Well we have two of those who we just drafted the past two years. Seems like a center would be a better pick.

Poe at NT. Great athlete, awful film. Chapman might be there in the third who could do basically the exact job we ask him to do right off the bat.

For me, the only guys that make sense are Mercilus, Tannehill (if you think he is the guy), Brockers for what he could become, or one of the blue chippers that happen to fall.

It's a really weird spot for the Chiefs.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Without Stanford Fumbling inside their own 5, and Missing a Chipshot field goal OSU loses.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Even if just on first downs, goal lines, third & shorts... stymie a teams run game & you will rarely be embarrassed in any contest, win or lose.

Control the heart of the line of scrimmage, silly my ass.

You can do that without wasting a first round pick on a NT. Hell, we did it for the last two years. We haven't really just gotten raped repeatedly by a team running the ball in the last 2 years, and you think that adding a player that will see less snaps than Javier Arenas is going to magically make this a top 5 defense and "stymie" teams running attack? You might want to go watch the games where we were embarrassed last year, it was through the air. Surprisingly, having a NT in our 2-gap would NOT have prevented Stafford, Brady, or Fitzpatrick from molesting our secondary.

RealSNR
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM

If he is, it's not by much.I have yet to hear any draft people call him "country strong"

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM

If he is, it's not by much.

Probably not out of the gate, but he is also what 21? He has the possibility to grow into his body and be a Seymour type 5 tech. Or atleast thats what you would hope.

Again, I'm not excited about taking him but if the shoe fits.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:47 PM
The Redskins pretty much sold the farm to acquire RGIII. There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't do the same next year since the talent we could surround our young QB with is far superior to anything the Redskins have.

Trade down, stock up on guards, ILBs, 5-techs, TEs, FBs, and all other thankless fat positions this year. Go into next draft with more ammo and throw everything you've got at a team in an advantageous position.

The Chiefs aren't lucky enough to lose games like the Colts did in 2011. They will be in QB purgatory for decades if they just let the chips fall where they may. If the Chiefs want a franchise QB, they either need to get lucky on Quinn or Stanzi (not likely), take risks on guys like Tannehill, or pay far out the ass.

I don't care which option they choose. Just make it ****ing happen.

This, especially the bolded part is a really good take.

Get your depth, take Kuechly, get your center for 10 years, get safety depth, whatever you need this year.

Trading back and grabbing a first round pick would be huge for the Chiefs.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Taking Brockers at 11 and then spending two seconds and a third to move up for a 30 year old rookie would be WAYYYY past full retard.

Sorry

I wouldn't even draft Weeden unless he falls to the 4th round.

Take Blackmon off his team and the guy struggles to get drafted.

That's my take on the guy. I've really examined him, and I would take Cassel over him 10 times out of 10.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
This, especially the bolded part is a really good take.

Get your depth, take Kuechly, get your center for 10 years, get safety depth, whatever you need this year.

Trading back and grabbing a first round pick would be huge for the Chiefs.

My dream scenario. Going into next year's draft with 2 1sts.

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I swear, it's funny watching you all scatter for information, just like a secretary meeting deadlines, all damned off-season.

We all are excited like a month prior to kick-off, weeks pass really slowly, more and more anticipation builds across CP, then once kick-off comes, we're down by ten within 4 minutes, or so. Happens every damned season, it seems. with the MNF Chargers Kickoff game the only exception....

Sorter
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Probably not out of the gate, but he is also what 21? He has the possibility to grow into his body and be a Seymour type 5 tech. Or atleast thats what you would hope.

Again, I'm not excited about taking him but if the shoe fits.

^^This. Brockers/Decastro are the best picks available at 11 for value, meaning you won't be able to get either if you trade down. Brockers and Bailey are different players, wit Brockers being a true 5-tech that can also rush the passer. Bailey is probably best used as just a pure pass rush specialist in our sub packages. However, with Brockers, you could put him in your nickel 2-4-5 next to Bailey, Tamba, and Houston; having all rush the passer while still being able to drop 7 into coverage. Brockers seems like a 3 or 4 down player to me.

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
so how much of a badass is Winston? I really know nothing about him. He sounds like Andre the Giant when he speaks, so I guess that's a pretty good sign.

feel free to answer the quoted question, pros. TIA

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I hope he doesn't get the big head for this, but if you guys wanna venture into the draft forum, Sac mocked a draft that would be pretty perfect for the Chiefs this year. It's not overly flashy and there are a few changes that could be made, but it's pretty solid.

Shun, put your roster magic on and add these picks to the team chart.
Say we can move back a touch and grab an extra 3 rounder.

Mercilus
Smith
Turbin
Chapman
Molk
Reynolds
Audie Cole ILB
Kashif Moore WR

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
For those who didn't see it. Stanford's D played like dog shit, Balckmon was Blackmon, OSU D played lights out, and Weeden didn't make one throw worth highlighting to win the game.

It's pretty much all right here, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDqf06WCvSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I like your takes D, but Without Blackmon, and that D, Weeden beats NONE of the QBs you mentioned.

OSU's defense played lights out.

Stanford's defense played like dogshit.

And they allowed the exact same point total from equally devastating offenses over the course of a game.

Nice spin, there.

The truth is, Weeden outdueled Luck is a shootout.

Luck couldn't get his team into the endzone in overtime.

All Weeden had to do was get his offense to settle for a field goal.

Instead, he went for the jugular. Hit a slant over the middle in 1 play, and won the game.

He did shit like that all year.

When you spin that radically, all you're doing is making yourself look partisan.

Thanks for the nice word, though.

O.city
Winston could be the best RT in the league. He's atleast a top 4 or 5 guy at his spot.

It was a great great deal for the Chiefs.

Sorter

Winston is a badass. One of the top 5 RTs IMO. It is unbelievable we got him so cheap, regardless of his former injury.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Because other teams will be doing the same thing.

And I don't want to give up three 1sts unless he's a homerun -- which I'm still not convinced RG3 is.

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
It sucks to be the "wait til next year" guy.

I don't really think we would have to get to 2 next eyar to get a blue chipper either.

I'm really hoping Tyler Wilson improves some mechanical issues. He has a cannon and could be our guy.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Shun, put your roster magic on and add these picks to the team chart.
Say we can move back a touch and grab an extra 3 rounder.

Mercilus
Smith
Turbin
Chapman
Molk
Reynolds
Audie Cole ILB
Kashif Moore WR

I don't know who Smith is? Drawing a really dumb blank...

O.city
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't know who Smith is? Drawing a really dumb blank...

Harrison Smith.

I don't think he makes it that far, but if he did. LOOKOUT.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM

He's a freakin animal
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eu9bEAR_8pA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Tannehill
Richardson
Barron
Mercilus/Upshaw/other talented pass rusher

Decastro
Brockers
Keuchly

That's in order, too.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't think I've ever been as pumped over signing a RT.

Winston is a great team guy, he's a monster zone blocker at RT, and he's got a nasty streak.

It was a great get for KC.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Tannehill
Richardson
Barron
Mercilus/Upshaw/other talented pass rusher

Decastro
Brockers
Keuchly

That's in order, too.

I'm about the same, save for Barron.

I like Illoka or Harrison smith a little later.

I'm really coming around to the idea of Mercilus. I think he could be really really special as a rusher and OLB guy.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I'll do it for the Direkshun. Let me find one of your patented roster things.

QB: Cassel, Quinn, Stanzi
RB: Charles, Hillis, McCluster, Turbin
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Copper, McCluster, Extra WR pick
TE: Moeaki, Boss, Maneri,

LT: Albert, Reynolds
LG: Hudson, Harris
C: Molk, Harris
RG: Asamoah, Harris
RT: Winston, Reynolds

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Chapman, Gordon, Powe
DE: Jackson, Gordon

OLB: Hali, Sheffield, Mercilus
ILB: Belcher, Siler
ILB: Johnson, Johnson, Audie Cole
OLB: Houston, Mercilus

CB: Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Brown, Daniels
S: Berry, Lewis, Smith, backup

Romeo has ALOT ALOT of places he could bring pass rushers from. We probably need to grab some more dlinemen somewhere, but that can wait.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 10:04 PM
If we drafted Mercilus, could we move Tamba inside on passing downs in our nickel like the Giants do with Tuck? I know they aren't the same size, but if we could have Mercilus, Tamba,Bailey, and Houston all rushing with 7 in coverage, it could be nasty.

beach tribe
OSU's defense played lights out.

Stanford's defense played like dogshit.

And they allowed the exact same point total from equally devastating offenses over the course of a game.

Nice spin, there.

The truth is, Weeden outdueled Luck is a shootout.

Luck couldn't get his team into the endzone in overtime.

All Weeden had to do was get his offense to settle for a field goal.

Instead, he went for the jugular. Hit a slant over the middle in 1 play, and won the game.

He did shit like that all year.

When you spin that radically, all you're doing is making yourself look partisan.

Thanks for the nice word, though.

Dude I posted a clip of every throw he made. He looked like SHIT period.
OSU won the game.
You're Stacking Weeden up against Luck (and he does NOT stack up), Suggesting we trade into the !st, and take his 30 year old ass, and i'm the one who looks foolish here?
Like i said. I respect your takes, and enjoy your posts, but your dead wrong in your opinion of this guy

Direckshun
Harrison Smith.

I don't think he makes it that far, but if he did. LOOKOUT.

AH.

Got it.

I would have done it but you're on top of it, from the sounds of it.

BossChief
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
If we drafted Mercilus, could we move Tamba inside on passing downs in our nickel like the Giants do with Tuck? I know they aren't the same size, but if we could have Mercilus, Tamba,Bailey, and Houston all rushing with 7 in coverage, it could be nasty.

That's what Tamba did at Penn state.

In fact, he was a defensive tackle till his last year iirc.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:09 PM
OSU won the game.
You're Stacking Weeden up against Luck (and he does NOT stack up), Suggesting we trade into the !st, and take his 30 year old ass, and i'm the one who looks foolish here?
Like i said. I respect your takes, and enjoy your posts, but your dead wrong in your opinion of this guy

You're overplaying your hand when you say he looked like "shit period."

He looked streaky. Got better as the game went on, and won the game by going for the jugular.

Brandon Weeden comes out playing he's playing right now as a 24 year old?

He'd be a first round pick.

His age is the only thing bumping him down to the 2nd.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
When you play the Mannings, Rivers, Brees etc, you could have Mercilus, Tamba, Houston, just standing up walking around the LOS pre snap.

Have Bailey with a hand in the dirt, Jackson as well.

Could bring Berry and drop Houston, or bring Arenas. Lots of options.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

God yes.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
OSU won the game.

Meant to say partisan here and not foolish. I promise you, I'm only going by all the tape I could find on the guy. I have no inclination one way or the other. He honestly just looks like another cassel who rode 10 yard passes to Blackmon (that Blackmon Beasted to the house) to a successful collegiate career.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Pretty sure we are bringing in Abrayu after the draft so add him to the list.

Actually makes sense. Not gonna play many snaps. Just in run situations.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
You can take Bruce Irvin later in the draft to rush but I don't think he has the upside Mercilus does.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a feeling Bailey is about to explode onto the scene.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm in love with that Mercilus/Hali/Bailey/Houston rush on 3rd and long.

That's not the same devastating lineup the Giants have but it could sure get there, everybody feeding off everybody else.

04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Hell, I don't care. Just give me something other than Cassel.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
It's a little tougher with the 34 to rush the passer like the Gmen, but with that lineup you could get close.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:18 PM

I didn't know if you seen this Direkshun, but find me a hole on that roster. Outside of one obvious one of course.

I mean really, if you have that draft, what are you potentially looking for in the next 3 or 4 years?

BossChief
04-09-2012, 10:19 PM
One of the best moves the Giants have made was drafting JPP when they already had Osi and Tuck.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:20 PM

I didn't know if you seen this Direkshun, but find me a whole on that roster. Outside of one obvious one of course.

Looks pretty good.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Question for you guys about Chapman.

Is he capable of pressing the pocket form the NT spot? He could actually be of some help in Sub package stuff if he coudl.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
It's a little tougher with the 34 to rush the passer like the Gmen, but with that lineup you could get close.

In passing situations, we would be running a lot of the same packages.
I actually think it's easier to get to the Qb out of the 34 base package that the 4-3, talent being equal.

O.city
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
In passing situations, we would be running a lot of the same packages.
I actually think it's easier to get to the Qb out of the 34 base package that the 4-3, talent being equal.

Yeah, we just really need Bailey and Jackson to get something up the middle. Gillberry included.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Is he capable of pressing the pocket form the NT spot? He could actually be of some help in Sub package stuff if he coudl.

He can a bit, but is more of a plugger; it would be ince to rotate either him/Jackson in to give Tamba or Bailey a breather while still having Mercilus and Houston rush on the edges.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=1126

Pressure can come from absolutely anywhere.

We can rush the front four and drop everybody else and be A-OK.

DJ can blitz.

Berry can blitz.

Arenas can blitz.

Fuck yes.

Sorter
04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm in love with that Mercilus/Hali/Bailey/Houston rush on 3rd and long.

That's not the same devastating lineup the Giants have but it could sure get there, everybody feeding off everybody else.

And with that, to really screw with people, you could add Arenas off the edge and DJ or Belcher, and drop Tamba or Houston. We could Fire Zone the hell out of people or just use a 4 man rush dominate on passing downs.

BossChief
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM

He looked streaky. Got better as the game went on, and won the game by going for the jugular.

His age is the only thing bumping him down to the 2nd.He will be a 30 year old rookie that should send half his NFL game checks to Blackmon IMO.

He is good, but not even close to first round good.

Is he capable of pressing the pocket form the NT spot? He could actually be of

some help in Sub package stuff if he coudl.

He did just fine in the sec playing with a torn ACL.

Once fully healed he absolutely can get a good push...as can Powe.

People often wright Powe and Stanzi off and I think those two are gonna be quality players for us.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:36 PM
He will be a 30 year old rookie that should send half his NFL game checks to Blackmon IMO.

He is good, but not even close to first round good.

Well, sadly we don't have any larger ultra-athletic receivers with great hands.

Or, I don't know, three.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM

His age is the only thing bumping him down to the 2nd.

I honestly don't think anyone is going to spend a 2nd on him, no matter where he's projected. JMO though.

Direckshun
04-09-2012, 10:39 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=1126

Pressure can come from absolutely anywhere.

We can rush the front four and drop everybody else and be A-OK.

DJ can blitz.

Berry can blitz.

Arenas can blitz.

**** yes.

I need somebody else in this thread to tell me this gives them wood.

beach tribe
04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
right here
**Raises Di....err..hand**

Simply Red
04-09-2012, 11:11 PM

I gave you all of my rep cock.

BigMeatballDave
04-09-2012, 11:19 PM
He will be a 30 year old rookie29. He's 28 right now. He turns 29 in Oct.

Titty Meat
04-10-2012, 12:54 AM
No thanks on Weeden he's 28 years old playing a spread offense.

RealSNR
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Because other teams will be doing the same thing.

And I don't want to give up three 1sts unless he's a homerun -- which I'm still not convinced RG3 is.I would give up 3 firsts for Bray next year without even having to think twice.

Of course, Bray is likely going to go #1 overall next year so we of course have no shot at him.

Titty Meat
04-10-2012, 02:01 AM
I would give up 3 firsts for Bray next year without even having to think twice.

Of course, Bray is likely going to go #1 overall next year so we of course have no shot at him.

The Tennessee QB?

Direckshun
04-10-2012, 03:57 AM

My point exactly.

An alternate route is needed.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-10-2012, 05:21 AM

It will go:

1. Barkley
2. Wilson
3. Jones
4. Bray...

I don't see him going #1 ahead of those guys as a sophomore. I would rather have Wilson out of the 4 anyway...

Easy 6
04-10-2012, 06:38 AM
You can do that without wasting a first round pick on a NT. Hell, we did it for the last two years. We haven't really just gotten raped repeatedly by a team running the ball in the last 2 years, and you think that adding a player that will see less snaps than Javier Arenas is going to magically make this a top 5 defense and "stymie" teams running attack? You might want to go watch the games where we were embarrassed last year, it was through the air. Surprisingly, having a NT in our 2-gap would NOT have prevented Stafford, Brady, or Fitzpatrick from molesting our secondary.

Guess i didnt make myself clear, i'm not advocating a NT at #1, thats not necessary. But yes, we DO give up too much in the run game...

week 1 buffalo - 150+
week 3 eggo - 120
week 4 vikes - 140+
week 7 fade - 140+
week 9 fins - 110+
week 11 pats - 120+
week 14 jets - 150+

Most of those were losses, you cant tell me that doing a better job against those ground games wouldnt have drastically helped our chances. And yes, having the prototype NT for a Crennel 3-4, CAN & WILL help out the secondary.

Setsuna
04-10-2012, 08:34 AM

I know you didn't just say this......dude......out of all my troll posts this year. This one trumps all of mine. That is laughable. Bray is good, but he doesn't have the intangibles. Oh and Tenn only plays Bama, so they escape LSU. Figures.

Dave Lane
04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
It's a long shot, I know.

But I love Weeden. I think he's the third-best QB in this draft. I've been sour on RG3, too, so in my fallible mind he may be the second best.

Weeden virtually identifies with all criteria.

I think Weeden is the 3rd best QB out there. The age thing doesn't even bother me. If we got 8 to 10 years of a quarterback that could be the guy that is well worth the second round pick.

RealSNR
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
It will go:

1. Barkley
2. Wilson
3. Jones
4. Bray...

I don't see him going #1 ahead of those guys as a sophomore. I would rather have Wilson out of the 4 anyway...Barkley's a piece of shit, I'm telling you. His draft stock is going to sink this year behind Wilson and Bray.

Jones can go fuck a goat.

Setsuna
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh and Wilson's draft stock will fall if Petrino gets fired. Bank on it. Meaning Wilson sucks.

Frosty
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Barkley's a piece of shit, I'm telling you. His draft stock is going to sink this year behind Wilson and Bray.

Jones can go **** a goat.

Never been a fan of Barkley. He always comes across as another robotic USC QB that just has to not screw up a loaded team.

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
IMO, If KC selects another passrusher it's because he can cover better than Houston thus being more versatile in being a true SSLB.

Bewbies
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Mizzou fans will get a close look at Bray and Murray this year... :)

RealSNR
04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Oh and Wilson's draft stock will fall if Petrino gets fired. Bank on it. Meaning Wilson sucks.Which is why I like Bray ahead of Wilson and Barkley.

Direckshun
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/90LtJlx8--I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/90LtJlx8--I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It took you two days to find video evidence to support Weeden, and this is what you found?