PDA

View Full Version : Science Ticks

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Was on the couch doing what couples do in our skives and heard a scream and said 'come on babe, you should be used to the size by now.' Had a ****ing tick on the back of my ear from fly fishing.

Gonna be a brutal season for them if you live in the territory where they live. It's been a really warm winter and spring and their already out.

Here's a couple pictures to keep you on your toes. Nasty little critters to say the least.

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/andymartyr/17414794790/1/tumblr_lz5wwf9ra11qa39um

http://www.whoaorno.com/images/518.jpg

http://frontline.za-staging.merial.com/illu/tick_cat.jpg

Happy Easter CP!

http://www.dreamstime.com/easter-bunny-hiding-eggs-thumb18292479.jpg

Mr_Tomahawk
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Meh...

I've already had lymes disease...

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Meh...

I've already had lymes disease...

"Had"?

Does that go away? Do you have any after effects? I've been watching for a ring around where it was (none yet, a telltale symptom) and am going to keep an eye on it.

Brock
04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
They're horrible this year. I've had two or three of them.

Bugeater
04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
How the fuck does anyone let that many accumulate on their dog?

And the snake one is creepy, it's like they're all feasting on his brain.

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
They're horrible this year. I've had two or three of them.

I broke out the mirror and looked in places I haven't looked since I was 10 years old. I have really short hair so not worried about the scalp. Man, they're fucking gross and really have no natural predator. I wouldn't mind one bit if they were somehow removed from the ecosystem.

Bugeater
04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm checking myself for ticks as I type this.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I would have never thought ticks would get on a snake.

That poor dog....

Predarat
04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
thats fucked up.

hometeam
04-09-2012, 08:40 PM
My dogs didnt get ticks at all last year, have found a bunch already.

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I would have never thought ticks would get on a snake.

That poor dog....

Their attracted to heat and carbon dioxide. If you give off either, which kind of comes with a heartbeat, they'll attach themselves.

Brock
04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Frontline works. I haven't pulled a tick off a dog in years.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
"Had"?

Does that go away? Do you have any after effects? I've been watching for a ring around where it was (none yet, a telltale symptom) and am going to keep an eye on it.

People say it never goes away...it's all a myth.

I never saw the tick. Went camping in North Wisconsin a few years ago and noticed a funny bite on my hip with the "ring" around it. It went away...didn't think anything of it.

-1.5 years later-

Started to have terrible night-sweats. Would be dripping at night...would have to change the sheets every night.

Some days I would run a fever but not feel sick...wake up the next day with no fever just to have it come back the day after.

I am a runner. My knees and ankles started to kill me just a couple miles into my run...then my feet would start to tingle and go numb as if they were falling asleep.

Finally went to the doctor after about a month of this. They tested for everything under the sun...then did a Lymes screening. The 1st test came back a false-positive which is common...so they took the test again and it came back positive.

Now the bullseye bite on my hip a few years ago made sense...

Put me one an antibiotic for a month....took the test a couple times afterwards.

Gone.

I was still worried as I have heard the stories that is remains in your body. The Dr. said thats all BS and I could always take the screening again....so I took it about 9 months ago and got negative results.

IF you catch it early, it's not that big of a deal.

My 53 year old mother actually got it last year too...she is fine now.

Bwana
04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Dump a shot of Old Crow on that son of a bitch, that will kill it off.

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

I never saw the tick. Went camping in North Wisconsin a few years ago and noticed a funny bite on my hip with the "ring" around it. It went away...didn't think anything of it.

-1.5 years later-

Started to have terrible night-sweats. Would be dripping at night...would have to change the sheets every night.

Some days I would run a fever but not feel sick...wake up the next day with no fever just to have it come back the day after.

I am a runner. My knees and ankles started to kill me just a couple miles into my run...then my feet would start to tingle and go numb as if they were falling asleep.

Finally went to the doctor after about a month of this. They tested for everything under the sun...then did a Lymes screening. The 1st test came back a false-positive which is common...so they took the test again and it came back positive.

Put me one an antibiotic for a month....took the test a couple times afterwards.

Gone.

I was still worried as I have heard the stories that is remains in your body. The Dr. said thats all BS and I could always take the screening again....so I took it about 9 months ago and got negative results.

That's good to know. Rep!

Otter
04-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Dump a shot of Old Crow on that son of a bitch, that will kill it off.

Tried that from the inside out, didn't work. :D

Had to smother him in grease (yep, car grease) so it couldn't breath for it to let go. Not my first rodeo with these things and broke the head off inside the skin more than once. Talk about making a bad thing worse.

morphius
04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I pulled off at least nine from 2 kids early last month. I'm really dreading how bad they are going to be at the lake this year.

Otter
04-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I pulled off at least nine from 2 kids early last month. I'm really dreading how bad they are going to be at the lake this year.

How do you get them off without breaking off the heads inside the skin?

Most effective way I found is mentioned above, smother them in something like grease or vasoline till the let go. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes but they do let go.

morphius
04-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Had to smother him in grease (yep, car grease) so it couldn't breath for it to let go. Not my first rodeo with these things and broke the head off inside the skin more than once. Talk about making a bad thing worse.
Yeah, only time I've ever had a scalpel cut into my skin was to get the head of one of the nasty bastards. The lone star ticks do not let go, I've found the only way to get them is to pull them the opposite direction they are pointed (flip them straight ass over head and pull).

Otter
04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, only time I've ever had a scalpel cut into my skin was to get the head of one of the nasty bastards. The lone star ticks do not let go, I've found the only way to get them is to pull them the opposite direction they are pointed (flip them straight ass over head and pull).

Might want to try keeping a jar of vasoline on hand (tee up for joke) and smothering it to cut off it's air. Like I said it takes about 10 -15 minutes but they do let go every time from my experience.

The hardest thing may be keeping your kid or whoever still knowing it has a bug head lodged into it's skin. Hell, it's hard for me not to just yank it out from instinct. Gah, I hate those things.

Saulbadguy
04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Don't go outside. Problem solved.

morphius
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Might want to try keeping a jar of vasoline on hand (tee up for joke) and smothering it to cut off it's air. Like I said it takes about 10 -15 minutes but they do let go every time from my experience.

The hardest thing may be keeping your kid or whoever still knowing it has a bug head lodged into it's skin. Hell, it's hard for me not to just yank it out from instinct. Gah, I hate those things.
I've oddly not had any luck with that method, sucks because my way hurts.

WV
04-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Just get this or something similar.

http://www.tickedoff.com/
http://www.tickedoff.com/images/human-removal.jpg

cosmo20002
04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Had to smother him in grease (yep, car grease) so it couldn't breath for it to let go.

Under water won't work? I mean, if you don't happen to have some car grease handy.

pr_capone
If I'm going camping or going to spend any amount of time in brush... I load up on garlic. Haven't had a tick bite me in years. My dogs would occasionally get ticks even if they had been dosed with frontline but I have them a garlic supplement every other meal and they have been tick free ever since.

lcarus
My dog had a tick on him the size of a fun size Snickers. Crazy little bastards.

rockymtnchief
04-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I can handle snakes, spiders and anything else slimey or spooky to others, but ticks and leaches freak the hell out of me. I'll strip down naked in the grocery store if I find one on me. In my brain, if I find one, there must be another one someplace on me.

Otter
04-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Under water won't work? I mean, if you don't happen to have some car grease handy.

Never tried. Sounds about the same in theory so I don't know why it wouldn't work. There's no sign when they take their head out. You just have to smother them and every 10 minutes give them a gentle tug below where they collect blood but like morphius said it didn't work for him so I don't know what to say besides fight the instinct to just yank it off because it will force blood it sucked from you and whatever they were on before you back into you (more likely to contract any disease it's carrying) and break the head off in the skin.

Buehler445
04-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Motherfucker, I got one over the weekend at the in-laws. First one. I've lived outside all my life and finally got one. I won't lie, I was a little creeped out.

Frontline works. I haven't pulled a tick off a dog in years.

This. Chief dog has no problems. I told my wife she should get some for me.

Tried this didn't work.

How do you get them off without breaking off the heads inside the skin?

Most effective way I found is mentioned above, smother them in something like grease or vasoline till the let go. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes but they do let go.

Ah. I was too impatient. I fail. Anyway, got the head out.

Fuck ticks. They can all DIAF as far as I'm concerned.

mr. tegu
04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I know conventional wisdom says to wear pants but if I am not in really deep woods or thick brush I like wearing shorts because you can see and feel them better and scrape them off before they can get to those moist dark zones.

Psyko Tek
04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKXPRACDimqiiu7FRb5stmmJetnIaBOQmI8D1SsRFESd81enTO6Jc24Y9Q

all is well in the city

Bump
04-10-2012, 12:25 AM

-1.5 years later-

Gone.

doesn't sound like you caught it early since you had crazy symptoms for a whole month without checking out with a DR.

The Dawg
04-10-2012, 01:12 AM
These ******* have been all over this year. Treat both our labs with frontline, but they will still get one or two stuck on them on occasion.

One of the ways I learned to remove ticks (ticks easily reached anyway) was to let your car warm up just a little bit. After a short warm up period, pull out your oil dip stick. Wipe the oil off (some people leave the oil on it) and apply it directly to the tick. They pull their heads right out and you can grab them off your skin without risking leaving their head inside you. I have tried it with oil on it, and oil without it, works either way for me.

The Dawg
04-10-2012, 01:13 AM
I feel terrible for the dog in that picture. The owner should be shot

btlook1
04-10-2012, 02:11 AM
We got some new stuff from the vet last weekend it's made by frontline but a different mix or something. Applied it to the outside dogs that had a bunch of ticks and the ticks started dropping off immediately in minutes. In several hours all 3 dogs were tick free.
Buy some guineas they won't get them all but will help with a tick infested place. I'm down to two guineas now but plan on starting some more soon!

Fire Me Boy!
04-10-2012, 06:01 AM

The method I've always used: light a match and let it burn for a few seconds. Blow it out and immediately touch the end to the tick. Instinctually, it will let go and try to get away.

Mr Luzcious
04-10-2012, 06:19 AM
The method I've always used: light a match and let it burn for a few seconds. Blow it out and immediately touch the end to the tick. Instinctually, it will let go and try to get away.

Yep this is the best way I've found.

Sofa King
04-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I've gotten 2 so far this year, they almost never latch on. I feel them pretty easily. Only had a couple latch on in the last 15 years. I usually strip search myself at the end of the night to check for them and to inevitably touch myself.

You can get them to release by exposing them to heat. I generally use a lighter if i don't just pull the bitch out. get the lighter flame close slowly and they'll let loose. Then burn the shit outta them or put them in a cup of liquid dish soap.

Easy 6
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Holy shit, that poor dog.

Those little bastards are atleast one reason for me to be thankful about being a shave head.

Canofbier
04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Man, I was eating when I found this thread.

blaise
04-10-2012, 06:59 AM
I've gotten 2 so far this year, they almost never latch on. I feel them pretty easily. Only had a couple latch on in the last 15 years. I usually strip search myself at the end of the night to check for them and to inevitably touch myself.

You can get them to release by exposing them to heat. I generally use a lighter if i don't just pull the bitch out. get the lighter flame close slowly and they'll let loose. Then burn the shit outta them or put them in a cup of liquid dish soap.

We used to light a match, blow it out and then touch the hot tip to their back. After a couple of times they'd back out and you grab them.

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 07:00 AM
I feel terrible for the dog in that picture. The owner should be shot

Iím assuming itís a stray, and Iím doing so to maintain a modicum of faith that no one would let it get to that point.

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Iíve tried pretty much every method Iíve heard of, the match, nail polish, Vaseline, with mixed results. Sometimes it works others it doesnít and they die before they get their head out, which is particularly nasty since the last thing they do before expiring is puke into your skin.
The best, most constant method Iíve found for getting them out is to use your fingers, or tweezers for the seed ticks, grab them by the back side and work your fingers up to the point theyíre buried under the skin then pull lightly. You donít want to pluck it out immediately, just put tension on his head and heíll let go. Youíll feel them loosen up then pull right out, and that is why Iím going to order a few of these.

Just get this or something similar.

http://www.tickedoff.com/
http://www.tickedoff.com/images/human-removal.jpg

That looks like it would work perfect for this method. :thumb:

seclark
04-10-2012, 07:13 AM
swab those bastards down w/a q-tip or cloth soaked in this stuff. they dont like it at all. just use caution if applying around frank & beans.

sec

Fire Me Boy!
04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
swab those bastards down w/a q-tip or cloth soaked in this stuff. they dont like it at all. just use caution if applying around frank & beans.

sec

This works too. Seriously.

http://www.wd40.com/files/images/wd-40-br69235874.jpg

Sofa King
Or you can just pour cattle. My buddy pours a shit ton of cattle every spring and he never has a tick on him.

Sofa King
This works too. Seriously.

http://www.wd40.com/files/images/wd-40-br69235874.jpg

Does that require the match as well?

Nickel D
04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
tick-tick-tick-tick...BOOM!!

Graystoke
04-10-2012, 08:00 AM
It is going to be a very bad tick season. With the warm temps early I was late applying the Front Line on my dogus. She got a tick on the head and it got infected. Went to the vet and she had to scapel the bitch out, and put pupus on antibiotics.

We went fly fishing in Northeast Iowa and by the time I got home I had two on my back.

I hate those little fuckers!:cuss:

Bwana
04-10-2012, 08:07 AM
It is going to be a very bad tick season. With the warm temps early I was late applying the Front Line on my dogus. She got a tick on the head and it got infected. Went to the vet and she had to scapel the bitch out, and put pupus on antibiotics.

We went fly fishing in Northeast Iowa and by the time I got home I had two on my back.

I hate those little ****ers!:cuss:

I slap some of this on and don't have a problem with the little bastards.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/78/10099478.jpg?is=500,500

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Maybe for the sissy ticks in Montana but here in manís country you can douse yourself with insect repellent every couple of hours and still end up getting ticks. ;)

But seriously, I use that Repel 100% because it at least helps.

Otter
04-10-2012, 08:19 AM

I just checked the stuff I had on, 25% deet and I remember you telling me about that stuff when we were in Montana. No ring around the rosie yet, think that one scared the shit out of Amy more than me.

Gonna be a long season slaying trout.

Bwana
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Maybe for the sissy ticks in Montana but here in manís country you can douse yourself with insect repellent every couple of hours and still end up getting ticks. ;)

But seriously, I use that Repel 100% because it at least helps.

LMAO

I think if the ticks are that bad down there, you better rub yourelf up, with jet fuel. :D

Bwana
04-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I just checked the stuff I had on, 25% deet and I remember you telling me about that stuff when we were in Montana. No ring around the rosie yet, think that one scared the shit out of Amy more than me.

Gonna be a long season slaying trout.

25% deet? That's like throwing on cool water.

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
LMAO

I think if the ticks are that bad down there, you better rub yourelf up, with jet fuel. :D

Itís probably my fault. Most of the private fishing holes I hit are farm ponds surrounded by cattle pasture and cattle are walking farms for the biggest, angriest ticks Iíve seen.

mlyonsd
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
The picture of the dog just about made me hurl.

NewChief
04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
A symptom of how bad they already are and are going to get this year: I was able to convince my wife to switch to a bug dope that actually has DEET in it (she's usually all about the natural shit for our kids).

HuskerPower
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Permanone/Permethrin... Only way to keep ticks off during spring Turkey season in MO.

Spray on Clothing ONLY... One treatment lasts entire season.

Kraus
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Permanone/Permethrin... Only way to keep ticks off during spring Turkey season in MO.

Spray on Clothing ONLY... One treatment lasts entire season.

This - The ticks will die off within a minute or two. Sometimes if you find a tick I'll set him on the clothing just to watch that bastard die.

http://www.conney.com/wcsstore/Conney/images/fullsize/32499.gif

Best stuff ever. Don't spray on skin though!

HuskerPower
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
This - The ticks will die off within a minute or two. Sometimes if you find a tick I'll set him on the clothing just to watch that bastard die.

:thumb: HA! I have done the same thing... Powerful stuff!

niblet
04-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't think it's possible to hate anything more than a tick you discover on your body. There is simply nothing that parallels the level of sheer contempt you automatically have for the little f-er.

Sofa King
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't think it's possible to hate anything more than a tick you discover on your body. There is simply nothing that parallels the level of sheer contempt you automatically have for the little f-er.

Mosquitos.

I'd rather have 5 ticks than 1 fucking mosquito buzzing around near me.

morphius
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Mosquitos.

I'd rather have 5 ticks than 1 ****ing mosquito buzzing around near me.
Screw that, at least when a mosquito bites you it just leaves you a bit itchy and is done in a matter of seconds, not days. And one swat will kill them, ticks it would takes an act of God to kill.

morphius
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Someone mentioned water, and I had tried once to hold one under water and it didn't let go. I needed to look it up, but this is from the Missouri Conservation Gov site...

What ticks do in the meantime is anyone's guess, but they can endure a lot. Missouri is known for periods of extreme drought. These periods of dryness seem to have little effect on them. Moisture, too, is not a deterrent. In one study a nymphal tick was kept underwater at temperatures near freezing for 160 days. It was good as new and anxious as ever to find a meal when it was at last free of the water torture.

So, I don't think the water idea is going to work out well.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/avoid-outdoor-pests/ticks

Bwana
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Screw that, at least when a mosquito bites you it just leaves you a bit itchy and is done in a matter of seconds, not days. And one swat will kill them, ticks it would takes an act of God to kill.

In most cases, unless the little fucker gives you West Nile Virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/wnv_factsheet.htm

morphius
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
In most cases, unless the little fucker gives you West Nile Virus.

I'd risk it over a damn tick, and some bug sprays will actually keep them away a bit.

seclark
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
In most cases, unless the little ****er gives you West Nile Virus.

or rocky mountain spotted fever...my brother got it from a tick bite(they thought) when he was 15.
same summer i came down with viral encephalitis. they said i got that from a mosquito bite.
that was a shitty summer.
sec

bobbymitch
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
If you use 100% DEET, don't touch any PVC furniture. Once in Grand Cayman, we were going out for the night and I slathered myself with the DEET to keep the mosquitos away. I waited for the Bosslady to get ready and sat in a chair made out of PVC piping. When I got up my arms were coated with melted plastic.

Bwana
04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
or rocky mountain spotted fever...my brother got it from a tick bite(they thought) when he was 15.
same summer i came down with viral encephalitis. they said i got that from a mosquito bite.
sec

Damn, I guess so!

Bwana
04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
If you use 100% DEET, don't touch any PVC furniture. Once in Grand Cayman, we were going out for the night and I slathered myself with the DEET to keep the mosquitos away. I waited for the Bosslady to get ready and sat in a chair made out of PVC piping. When I got up my arms were coated with melted plastic.

You're right, I nuked a nice pair of nice sunglasses with it, before learning my lesson. 100% Deet is a plastic eating SOB.

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
sec

Good Lord, dude. :eek: Neither of those is anything to be fucking around with.

seclark
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Damn, I guess so!

we spent a few days in a bunch of backwater sloughs after the river flooded and went back down, clubbing catfish and carps that were left behind. thought it was pretty fun at the time, but when we'd get home we'd be covered w/ticks and skeeter bites. got sick as hell.
sec

seclark
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Good Lord, dude. :eek: Neither of those is anything to be ****ing around with.

my brain was so swole up it felt like it was gonna splode.
seriously...not fun.
sec

crispystl420
04-10-2012, 07:35 PM

http://www.conney.com/wcsstore/Conney/images/fullsize/32499.gif

That shit stays on your clothes after you wash them?

evolve27
04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Having chickens in your back yard keeps the population down tremendously

Kraus
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
That shit stays on your clothes after you wash them?

I think it stays on for 3-5 washings.

KcMizzou
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Ticks creep me the hell out. I thought my phobia was roaches. Now I'm reminded of ticks.

Fish
04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Bloooooooood........

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1794/tickmouth.jpg

KcMizzou
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FSbk9Vn5eCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Forgive my ignorance - but why the concern with the heads?

I've yanked the sumbitches out my whole life; nothing to it. Just grab 'em by the shell and pull. Then stick a thumbnail in them and giggle. Sometimes I'll end up with a little swollen bug bite there for maybe a week or two, but nothing worse than that.

Should I have gotten some kind of hyper plague by now? What's the concern with leaving the head in and do they always bury their heads under the skin? It's always just seemed like they've had a couple pincers in and that's in when I've yanked them out.

Oh, and !@#$ yourself, OP - that stuff is vile.

MotherfuckerJones
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
thats ****ed up.

You mean thats Ticked up! :D

morphius
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM

I've yanked the sumbitches out my whole life; nothing to it. Just grab 'em by the shell and pull. Then stick a thumbnail in them and giggle. Sometimes I'll end up with a little swollen bug bite there for maybe a week or two, but nothing worse than that.

Should I have gotten some kind of hyper plague by now? What's the concern with leaving the head in and do they always bury their heads under the skin? It's always just seemed like they've had a couple pincers in and that's in when I've yanked them out.

If you leave them in it is possible to get infected, beyond that I don't know.

Otter
04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
If you leave them in it is possible to get infected, beyond that I don't know.

I can't see any issues arising with a parasites head embedded under your skin that may have been on a snake, deer or mouse an issue. Nothing to worry about.

:D

DJ's left nut
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I can't see any issues arising with a parasites head embedded under your skin that may have been on a snake, deer or mouse an issue. Nothing to worry about.

:D

It's like a splinter; your body is going to kick most of that crap out on its own.

Eh, like I said - I've never done any of that stuff. I just yank the bastards out. Then again, the first time I have a pussy abscess or something on account of that, I'll probably stop.

{fingers crossed}

Radar Chief
04-11-2012, 05:46 AM

Infection. You've basically left a body part of another creature under your skin to rot away.

The picture of the dog makes my ear hurt.

jspchief
04-11-2012, 05:59 AM
It's like a splinter; your body is going to kick most of that crap out on its own.

Eh, like I said - I've never done any of that stuff. I just yank the bastards out. Then again, the first time I have a pussy abscess or something on account of that, I'll probably stop.

{fingers crossed}

Yeah, an abscess on your pussy will teach you, I'm sure.

rockymtnchief
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
You're right, I nuked a nice pair of nice sunglasses with it, before learning my lesson. 100% Deet is a plastic eating SOB.

Make sure you remove your sunglasses, cell phone, GPS and anything else with a plastic screen. Even small amounts of DEET will pit the screens over time. I can't imagine what 100% Deet would do!

Bwana
04-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Make sure you remove your sunglasses, cell phone, GPS and anything else with a plastic screen. Even small amounts of DEET will pit the screens over time. I can't imagine what 100% Deet would do!

I was up riding around Cooke City several years ago and stopped at a lake to swing some fly line. I backed away from the ATV and sprayed some of the 100% DEET on. A little breeze came up and some of it drifted onto the plastic speedometer cluster, which I didn't notice at the time. By the time I did see it, it had pitted part of it out and it took me some serious work, when I got home, to save it.

That stuff can't be good for you, if you absorb it into your system on a regular basis, not with its caustic properties. I try to keep it on my shirts, pants, jackets, boots and hats, rather than spray it directly on my skin.