PDA

View Full Version : News 100 years ago today...

luv
04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
...the Titanic set off on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic. People were anxious and excited boarding the boat. Many were Americans on their way home. Who knew that five days later.....

I took a vacation day yesterday, and drove down to Branson to do some shopping and visit the Titanic Museum located there. When I was in school, we did a mock trial that included the sinking of the ship. I thought I'd learned a lot in preparation for that, but going and seeing all of the artifacts, reading the stories, and hearing the stories made me realize that I didn't understand it like I thought I did.

If you should ever visit the museum, you get handed a boarding pass, which has the name and history of an actual passenger on the Titanic. Towards the end of the tour, you can find out if your person survived or perished. I was a 25 year old wife and mother of two from Quebec traveling first class. I perished along with my husband and 2 year old daughter. My nine month old son survived. There's a place where you can read what happened to the survivors, when they ended up dying and how. My son was raised by his aunt in Canada, and died of food poisoning when he was just 18 years old.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a reminder of this historic event.

seaofred
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I've been there, it's quite an eye opening experience.

threebag
04-10-2012, 10:07 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLabOrkJKpWYUiPCMJ2UwN1uMDHhfZlfhYZQdIfLNMzmLil1Q7

Deberg_1990
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Whatever became of Jack and Rose?

DaKCMan AP
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
You took a vacation day to go shopping?

qabbaan
04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Why is there a Titanic museum in Branson?

Nzoner
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Their hearts went on forever

mikeyis4dcats.
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
watch out for that ice cube....

DMAC
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Apparently you haven't been to Branson.

The Dawg
...the Titanic set off on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic. People were anxious and excited boarding the boat. Many were Americans on their way home. Who knew that five days later.....

I took a vacation day yesterday, and drove down to Branson to do some shopping and visit the Titanic Museum located there. When I was in school, we did a mock trial that included the sinking of the ship. I thought I'd learned a lot in preparation for that, but going and seeing all of the artifacts, reading the stories, and hearing the stories made me realize that I didn't understand it like I thought I did.

If you should ever visit the museum, you get handed a boarding pass, which has the name and history of an actual passenger on the Titanic. Towards the end of the tour, you can find out if your person survived or perished. I was a 25 year old wife and mother of two from Quebec traveling first class. I perished along with my husband and 2 year old daughter. My nine month old son survived. There's a place where you can read what happened to the survivors, when they ended up dying and how. My son was raised by his aunt in Canada, and died of food poisoning when he was just 18 years old.

Very interesting museum. I'd recommended it to anyone who is traveling down around the Branson area.

http://www.titanicbranson.com/

seaofred

I don't know why, but they put it in about 5 years ago.

InChiefsHeaven
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't wait till they dive down and find the necklace...that's gonna be awesome.

Setsuna
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Worst movie EVER.

luv
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
It's really sad that all a lot of people know about what happened is what they saw in a stupid movie.

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
watch out for that ice cube....

Hey iceberg,
How’s that global warming treating you?
Karma’s a bitch.
Regards,
Titanic

Radar Chief
04-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Worst movie EVER.

Best part was when Leo DiCrapio died.

Nzoner
04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
It's really sad that all a lot of people know about what happened is what they saw in a stupid movie.

Easy now James Cameron has dedicated a large portion of his life studying the disaster.

luv
04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Easy now James Cameron has dedicated a large portion of his life studying the disaster.

Yes, he has, but all several people got out of the movie was a love story.

-King-
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Im very disappointed in the engineers of the titanic. Cant believe they couldn't make doors that could support 2 people.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Milkman remembers it like it was yesterday.

Sofa King
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/funny-dirty-humor-joke-photos-12.jpg?w=500&h=774

Setsuna
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Best part was when Leo DiCrapio died.

LOL he had to to get away from that whiney virgin he deflowered.

Pushead2
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Terrible.....

http://www.mypivots.com/site/uf/11384/hindenburg.jpg

The Dawg
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Why is there a WWI museum in Kansas City? Does the event need to happen in that location/ area to have a museum there?

Saulbadguy
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm surprised they were able to get one of the highest grossing films of all time out of something as unremarkable as a boat sinking.

Dartgod
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM

That's pretty cool.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
That's pretty cool.

I think it would be much more dramatic if you had to suffer the same fate as the passenger at the end of the tour.

InChiefsHeaven
04-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I think it would be much more dramatic if you had to suffer the same fate as the passenger at the end of the tour.

ROFL

Jenson71
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
The ending of the movie is so irritating. Why would you throw that diamond in the ocean? It's such a terrible, selfish waste. A better thing to do is sell it and start a charitable trust, perhaps in honor of Jack Dawson. The charitable trust literally can "go on and on" because it's not subject to the Rule Against Perpetuities. The better ending would have Rose in a lawyer's office setting up the foundation, and the lawyer explaining over swelling music that the diamond money can be used to pay income monies to various things like shipbuilding engineering schools, orphanages, and hospitals.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
The ending of the movie is so irritating. Why would you throw that diamond in the ocean? It's such a terrible, selfish waste. A better thing to do is sell it and start a charitable trust, perhaps in honor of Jack Dawson. The charitable trust literally can "go on and on" because it's not subject to the Rule Against Perpetuities. The better ending would have Rose in a lawyer's office setting up the foundation, and the lawyer explaining over swelling music that the diamond money can be used to pay income monies to various things like shipbuilding engineering schools, orphanages, and hospitals.

Rose was obviously a flighty bitch. Jack was obviously a scumbag.

Kerberos
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

I've been there, it's quite an eye opening experience.

So at the end of the tour did you feel like you were "KING OF THE WORLD" ?

qabbaan
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Apparently you haven't been to Branson.

Not since I was maybe 10...

10 is old enough to hate Branson but not old enough again to like it

qabbaan
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

As a tourist trap in Branson I am guessing it wouldnt be too easy to sink most of the patrons, they are probably very buoyant.

chiefqueen
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Jack Dawson wishes he had never won that hand of poker.

chiefqueen
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Well, maybe she knew she was dying later that night.

QuikSsurfer
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I remember taking a lady friend to the Titanic Museum in Kansas City, MO back around 2001 or 2002... I forget who was putting it on as I was only interested in making the lady happy. But we got similar items like you described -- we also both perished. It was interesting though -- I vaguely remember the tip of a glacier being there...

Aries Walker
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
The Holocaust Museum in DC has a similar feature - you get a dossier with an actual concentration camp prisoner, and you can read what happened to them. It's been a couple of years, but if memory serves I was a Romanian farmer who escaped from the camp and hid out in a barn. Fun for the whole family.

And I always felt kind of sorry for the guy who ended up marrying Rose. He spent his whole life with her and the whole time she was thinking of someone else; she even snubbed him in heaven to go be with her dead ex-boyfriend of less than a week.

luv
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Speaking of the museum, there was also a thing with water in it the same temperature as the water was that night. You can stick your finger in it, and there's a timer there to see how long you can keep it in. My finger started going numb about a minute into it.

InChiefsHeaven
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Well, maybe she knew she was dying later that night.

I think it would have been much more moving if she had given Bill Paxton the necklace and then as the music swells, pitched herself off the back of the ship

lcarus
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, he has, but all several people got out of the movie was a love story.

Well I mean aside from that, it was just a boat sinking.

luv
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM

I guess it's from the research I did on it for the mock trial we held. It was a made up scenario (thus "mock" trial), where a surviving member sued White Star Lines for the wrongful death of her fiance. We did a ton of research, including contacting the museum with questions. We found out about passengers on board, certain responsibilities of crew members, how the ship was built, etc. To actually go and see and hear what I had researched was just a cool experience.

Dayze
04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Im very disappointed in the engineers of the titanic. Cant believe they couldn't make doors that could support 2 people.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

Frazod
04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I've been to the museum in Branson. It was pretty cool.

Nzoner
04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Speaking of the museum, there was also a thing with water in it the same temperature as the water was that night. You can stick your finger in it, and there's a timer there to see how long you can keep it in. My finger started going numb about a minute into it.

I knew a girl like that once.

luv
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

LMAO

JD10367
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Was she as big and as cold as an iceberg?

I went to Halifax Nova Scotia this past autumn (and last autumn). The first time I went to the cemetary where they buried some of the bodies. There actually is a Jack Dawson buried there, who has no relation or relevance to the film character. And yet women leave trinkets for him. Poor guy's probably a bigger stud in death than he was in life.

Aries Walker
04-11-2012, 05:58 AM
It actually was a lot more than that. It had huge implications for class relations in the Gilded Age, for example, and cause a lot of companies to be more responsible for their products.

Nzoner
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Was she as big and as cold as an iceberg?

Actually she was quite attractive and built very well just cold as an iceberg.She didn't want to discuss it and I didn't push her but suspected the poor girl had been abused as she had a thing for guys old enough to be her dad.Needless to say we didn't last long and the last I knew she had hooked up with a guy 20 years older than her and caused his divorce.

And no he wasn't her teacher :)

Frazod
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM

This made me think of one of the marching songs from Officer and a Gentlemen:

I don't know, but I've been told
Eskimo pussy is mighty cold

:D