PDA

View Full Version : Life Does anyone do Remote Control stuff?

Holladay
04-11-2012, 12:08 PM
I've been out of the hobby for +20yrs due to kids/job/time.

I've got some planes, a big boat, and an unfinished motorcycle. I'm starting to work on the boat first. It needs the least maintenance and harder to crash then a plane:) And I've crashed a few...

Is there a nice RC forum? I looked and there's quite a few. I'm looking for a recommendation.

Also, if anyone has re-built any RC motors, which I'm doing now on the boat, has any gems to share. Motor WAS frozen. I broke it down as far as I could, coated it in WD40, soaked it in RC nitro fuel, bathed it for 30 min in acetone (to try and de-gunk it), coated it back up again in WD40.

I'm going to bench test it tonight. I'm not sure how well that will go because the only fuel I have for it is 20yrs old:(

TrebMaxx
04-11-2012, 12:23 PM
This thread just made me want to get my old nitro truck running again. I bet the motor is locked up though since it's been probably 5 years since I ran it. The last time I had it out I busted the shocks after it did a jump that obviously was way to high for it. Planned on replacing the shocks but I packed it up and haven't touched it since.

Bowser
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Just the TV/sound system.

dannybcaitlyn
04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I do some racing with the on-road cars. Electric and Nitro. A good forum is Rctech.net

Fish
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Mostly just Volume up, Volume down, Channel up, that sort of thing.....

Rain Man
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Remote control stuff is cool. I've always wanted to do it, but never have.

tooge
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
there are some guys up at smithville lake that do the planes. I go fishing near the field they fly at. I'm not into it, but it is really cool to see the shit they do

R8RFAN
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t2tk_RWddx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
the folks behind 9/11 were into remote controls...

aaaand, we're off!
~:D

Holladay
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
that onboard car vid reminds me of this...

http://butifnot.tripod.com/racecar.html

R8RFAN
04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
that onboard car vid reminds me of this...

http://butifnot.tripod.com/racecar.html

hahahahahahahah thats my car in that video

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm fairly certain RC stands for Radio Control and not Remote Control. :)

Holladay
04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I dont know how to inbed video's or I would have. I saw/heard that clip 15yrs ago and never forgot it.

As soon as I saw your lil runner, was the first thing I thought of...lmao

Holladay
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
LOL....You might be right. For years I've been calling it remote control.

Thanks for the input.

Okie_Apparition
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
My remote is far too large & bulky

RJ
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a radio controller for my wife but it doesn't work well at all.

Rain Man
04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I've always wanted to put a camera on a remote control helicopter and fly it over my neighborhood to do aerial photos. I'm not sure that's allowed, though.

R8RFAN
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I've always wanted to put a camera on a remote control helicopter and fly it over my neighborhood to do aerial photos. I'm not sure that's allowed, though.

Google does it

damaticous
04-11-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been out of the hobby for +20yrs due to kids/job/time.

I've got some planes, a big boat, and an unfinished motorcycle. I'm starting to work on the boat first. It needs the least maintenance and harder to crash then a plane:) And I've crashed a few...

Is there a nice RC forum? I looked and there's quite a few. I'm looking for a recommendation.

Also, if anyone has re-built any RC motors, which I'm doing now on the boat, has any gems to share. Motor WAS frozen. I broke it down as far as I could, coated it in WD40, soaked it in RC nitro fuel, bathed it for 30 min in acetone (to try and de-gunk it), coated it back up again in WD40.

I'm going to bench test it tonight. I'm not sure how well that will go because the only fuel I have for it is 20yrs old:(

I have a bunch of RC plane stuff that I've been wanting to sell.

got a full plan, bunch of extra parts (wings, tires, engines) nitro gas and even a nice Futaba digital controller with servos.

I'd love to sell it for a great price to someone that would use it.

Rain Man
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Google does it

I'm going to have to check out that google site some day. It sounds like it's got a lot of stuff.

R8RFAN
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm going to have to check out that google site some day. It sounds like it's got a lot of stuff.

I don't think it will go over to well, Microsoft will crush them

Chief Roundup
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I use to have a TMaxx that thing was awesome. Had a lot of fun with it. But it became a money pit. Always trying to make it tougher and to do more amazing things. A few friends and myself got a backhoe and made a track. There of course was a ramp with a flat top. No one ever landed it on the flat top though. We could get serious air...15 foot at least in the air.

Dayze
04-11-2012, 07:45 PM

It's sweet. They also have a thing called email. That's a little too complicated for me so I'll stick to my yahoo mail.

Ace Gunner
04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a few copters that I fly with my fone, one has a camera that I view from the fone too. but these aren't the type you'd fly over a hood, they are indoor flyers, great fun for spying on GF. I used to be into RC dirt cars, that was fun and they are very powerful fast machines. I was into RC planes, crashed too many.

Holladay
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I have a bunch of RC plane stuff that I've been wanting to sell.

got a full plan, bunch of extra parts (wings, tires, engines) nitro gas and even a nice Futaba digital controller with servos.

I'd love to sell it for a great price to someone that would use it.

sent you a pm.

might be interested if I can fly the dang thing. Have crashed WAY to often. But after the boats done, a FULL PLAN is what I'm looking at next;)

IratePrimate
04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I have an old Tmaxx i really don't play with. I really got into planes and helicopters over the last few years. Id say i probably fly at least once a week. As far as forums...... i generally just just do a google search for the model im looking at and find good threads that way.

Here is good site for heli's and planes rcgroups.com

Weak i've lerked for way to long and it wont let me post an image of my latest plane :cuss:

IratePrimate
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
anyways whats up guys.......... Gotta admit ive read this site for awhile now and haven't posted............ Guess its time to jump in.

Bowser
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
anyways whats up guys.......... Gotta admit ive read this site for awhile now and haven't posted............ Guess its time to jump in.

Hi there, n00b. What's your favorite beer?

BIG_DADDY
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I have an old Tmaxx i really don't play with. I really got into planes and helicopters over the last few years. Id say i probably fly at least once a week. As far as forums...... i generally just just do a google search for the model im looking at and find good threads that way.

Here is good site for heli's and planes rcgroups.com

Weak i've lerked for way to long and it wont let me post an image of my latest plane :cuss:

Welcome to the Planet

Valiant
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I have an old red baha looking rc car that some guys tried to get me to sell. It is red with a regal looking logo, made in the 60s or 70s. Still runs great. Just needs one piece replaced.

I amjust going off the date I was told. It was given to me in the early 80s.

Holladay
04-11-2012, 10:49 PM

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN...A NOOB LIKE ME HAS SOMETHING TO SAY?

RIP chefs planit:(

I would like some input and see some pics. Back when 'copters were the hardest things to fly. Lord knows I've buried my share of planes.

endnote: as to Irateprimate and myself, love looking at football stuff, everyday, just dont have much to say verse the Chiefs Braintrust that you all are:)

Saw RCgroups as to forum, just had no idea.

BTW whats a TMaxx? Not real smart on this stuff.

What fuel should I get for the boat, .61 Irvin, 25%, not racing.

Dang, if this thread is going to go (oops killed myself) I'll get some pics. Tried to do it on the Aquarium thread and failed:(

Holladay
04-11-2012, 11:33 PM
just posted this on the rctech.com site. They have a noobie forum.

Hi, my name is Bob and I really don't want to talk about it. I've been off it for 20 yrs. Now my kids want me to start again. I tell them I can't start again, cause I don't know which gutter I'll end up in.

I had this LMNOP cool plane, with an XYZ engine. Then got into boats with a nice ABC vortx hyper transaxle doohicky fortran hull. It rocked, til the mice got into it in the chicken coop...sucked.

My planes, cept the formentioned mice crap, had a duelly hydroplaned wing torch, which really ruled in 1986. Had that nice Dy-hedril form, with the mono duplex engine from K&B. Cept I kept waxing them with grass burn = sucked. Had to keep replacing the engines...the manufactures wouldn't replace them after I told them I did an inverted "T" in the ground.

So, I'm just gonna say, that ITS not my fault....but I have to keep dropping planes and un-freezing engines because I've not done this in +20 yrs.

~sits down~

the noobs there are posting bout crap that I have no clue about...thus the lmnop.

whatever.

listopencil
04-12-2012, 12:48 AM
How do you do the motorcycles? Are there small balancing wheels, or can you actually operate them with two? Seems like it would take some skill to operate a RC two wheeled vehicle.

listopencil
04-12-2012, 12:49 AM
And how are the helicopters now? I saw one when I was a kid. The guy flying it said he could get it to go about fifty feet in the air but that was about it.

Holladay
04-12-2012, 03:37 AM
the motorcycle isn't done...uses gyro's, as I understand to keep balance. I live in the country, thus not many open roads/parking lots. So thats going to be the last "toon" I finish. I have 10 acres, so the planes will be next, because I can't crash the boat very easily.

As to 'copters...back when, they were the hardest R/C to do.

Never thought much about cars. To much 2d. Guess that's the same with boats thou. I was raised on a lake, thus boats were cool. Would love to have a seaplane.

This thread got me thinking. With 10 acres...no horses now...they all died. Wouldn't it be cool to have 1 acre or 1/2 for a R/C 4 wheel drive race track. It wouldn't be 2d...it would be 3d with the jumps/curves more jumps etc!!!!! Put up a few deer stands, then run the crap outta those lil hummers. I have a tractor and a son. It could happen. I'd still have enought room for a landing strip for the planes.

Another thread, what to do with the other 7 acres?? The horses are dead, just growing broughm hay now. What about making a Paint Ball Areana? Build some burms, some rough cinder block buildings, 55g barrels around, dig ditches, throw in some big logs??

Gotta do something with the land. And no, a dumb city boy, no cattle!!

IratePrimate
04-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi there, n00b. What's your favorite beer?

Drink just about anything cold, but gotta rep the local brewer.... Boulevard Wheat is very tasty.

IratePrimate
04-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the Planet

Thank you, glad to be here

IratePrimate
04-12-2012, 05:31 AM
HOLY SMOKES BATMAN...A NOOB LIKE ME HAS SOMETHING TO SAY?

RIP chefs planit:(

I would like some input and see some pics. Back when 'copters were the hardest things to fly. Lord knows I've buried my share of planes.

endnote: as to Irateprimate and myself, love looking at football stuff, everyday, just dont have much to say verse the Chiefs Braintrust that you all are:)

Saw RCgroups as to forum, just had no idea.

BTW whats a TMaxx? Not real smart on this stuff.

What fuel should I get for the boat, .61 Irvin, 25%, not racing.

Dang, if this thread is going to go (oops killed myself) I'll get some pics. Tried to do it on the Aquarium thread and failed:(

Tmaxx is a 4x4 off road truck from Traxxas. Pretty revolutionary for its time. I bought one back in 2000 and the thing is still popular today. I only get it out when my little cousin comes over as he is obsessed with it.

Holladay
04-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Tmaxx is a 4x4 off road truck from Traxxas. Pretty revolutionary for its time. I bought one back in 2000 and the thing is still popular today. I only get it out when my little cousin comes over as he is obsessed with it.

Did you see my post above, thinking bout making a 1/2 acre 4wd R/C track. Would that work? Never done cars before.

dannybcaitlyn
04-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Tmaxx we're very popular when they came out and actually were being raced in competition for some time. Now they are just used for back yard bashing as the new race breed has evolved to the Truggy. A lowered version of a monster truck.

IratePrimate
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Did you see my post above, thinking bout making a 1/2 acre 4wd R/C track. Would that work? Never done cars before.

Na i must have missed that, that be sweet if you designed it right. I just google mapped haiwatha and your 2 hrs from me other wise id break out my tmaxx and head over when you guys were racing.

rtmike
02-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Bumping an old thread.

I turned 50 this summer & for whatever reason think I need to live it up. So I've been buying RC rigs since June.

I now have:

2 Traxxas Summits (rock crawler extraordinaire complete with Exocage)
X0-1 This is the 100mph on road car out of the box. I got a good deal.
Traxxas Teton ( I bought my nephew & I matching trucks while visiting)
X Maxx ( I"m selling it, it's brand new )
I'm selling my X to get into a Kershaw built 8S system. I haven't ran a pack through the X yet so with them being hard to get I should be able to sell.

Here's a pic of the X with my 1/16 scale Teton under it.

Beef Supreme
02-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Has anybody checked out Anki Overdrive? Just ran across it today for the first time, it's like AI meets slot car racing using your smart phone, with upgradeable cars and weapons. I just thought it looked kinda cool.

6GwtDmamTHk

eDave
02-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Any drone guys here?

LiveSteam
02-16-2016, 04:35 PM
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverforsale/locomotive.html

I have ten 1/8th scale R/C WWII Tanks I mess around with. Also pull them behind my steam locomotive.

Dave Lane
02-16-2016, 04:37 PM
I remote control telescopic observatories from 80 miles away. Does that count? :)

beach tribe
02-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Unrelated:

The Unified Remote app on a tablet for your HTPC is the best app ever made.

Dave Lane
02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverforsale/locomotive.html

I have ten 1/8th scale R/C WWII Tanks I mess around with. Also pull them behind my steam locomotive.

I have a 1-1 scale UP railroad that runs through the edge of my property. I can't seem to control it yet but I'm working on it

eDave
02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
I remote control telescopic observatories from 80 miles away. Does that count? :)

JPL scoffs. I dig that Mars is inhabited solely by robots.

God of Thunder
02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
These are both R/C :)

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12219454_10100938771821111_3213377586453607663_n.jpg?oh=8542ceb495f7ffcbe32aa15d9524e7c6&oe=576F821F

LiveSteam
02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
I have a 1-1 scale UP railroad that runs through the edge of my property. I can't seem to control it yet but I'm working on it

Not sure what 1-1/scale is. I'm guessing the UP haa tracks close to your house?
Those locomotives that are sometimes attached at the end of a train of cars are run via remote control from the head locomotive. Even the big railroads now use R/C

LiveSteam
02-16-2016, 04:53 PM
These are both R/C :)

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12219454_10100938771821111_3213377586453607663_n.jpg?oh=8542ceb495f7ffcbe32aa15d9524e7c6&oe=576F821F

You built those by hand didn't you? I

God of Thunder
02-16-2016, 04:56 PM
You built those by hand didn't you? I

That is correct. One on the left is mine - one on the right is my dad's. My wife has one that's still being built...

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12341188_10100955973389031_5064425690231496435_n.jpg?oh=3c77ec92860929f5f6c1056d26cf1f47&oe=576E8FD6

beach tribe
02-16-2016, 04:58 PM
That's really cool, dude.

You a machinist?

You got a CNC?

beach tribe
02-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Is that a fan and some food tray slots??

That would be so awesome..

God of Thunder
02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
That's really cool, dude.

You a machinist?

You got a CNC?

Most of it is sent to machine shops. My wife's dome is fiberglass. I also have a 3D printer that makes most of her parts. We also have a BB-8 thats starting to get there!

eDave
02-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Most of it is sent to machine shops. My wife's dome is fiberglass. I also have a 3D printer that makes most of her parts. We also have a BB-8 thats starting to get there!

Very interesting.

rtmike
02-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Any drone guys here?

My 1st one was a Traxxas LaTrax Alias or something.

My big one is the dji Phantom 3 Professional. I haven't enjoyed it like I'm suppose to. I just got an email. You can buy the djiP3P for $999 or $1079 with an extra battery. Figures, I paid almost $1300 with extra battery. I got a super nice case for it.

Just signed up with the Man and got my number to use. Hope registration keeps the riff raff down.

Anyone remember the Scat Pack 1/4 mile dragstrip from the '70's? Mopar gave them away & also sold them. I had one as a kid growing up. Mom threw it out when basement sewer flooded.
It's pretty cool. I would guess about 1/24 scale. Mine has 2 '70 Challenger R/T's, purple & orange & it works.
But each person has their own shifter & you have to shift at certain points on the track or you fall on your face if you miss a gear.
At the end of the track is a little garage with a flag on top. Whoever gets there first, the flag falls on that side. Put it in reverse & you can back up the entire length but going forward only certain sections of track work with each gear. The track has like 4-6 or metal strips in it that are only charged in certain sections.

Mine is red/orange instead of the faded Petty blue on this set. The graphics on mine shows Challengers & a pic of dude with a mustache grabbing gears, very '70's. This set looks to be in better shape than mine. I paid $300 about 5 years ago.

Just noticed something. This set has a Roadrunner vs. a Getex (GTX). Mine is just 2 Challenger R/T's. If I was smart I'd buy this set to go with my next year, newer model set. If I had a kid that would appreciate it I would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1969-Vintage-Republic-Shutdown-Plymouth-Super-Stock-Racing-Slot-Car-Set-/182019044909?hash=item2a612e362d:m:mrKLkdXZYQygt70OR4eSRHQ

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KTcAAOSwFMZWsXUb/s-l1600.jpg

CapsLockKey
02-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Has anybody checked out Anki Overdrive? Just ran across it today for the first time, it's like AI meets slot car racing using your smart phone, with upgradeable cars and weapons. I just thought it looked kinda cool.

6GwtDmamTHk
Got that for my kid for xmas. I didn't get what his hype was about getting it until he got me to try it. Pretty damn cool.