PDA

View Full Version : Misc Berklee College of Music in Boston...Anyone ever go there?

Earthling
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Just got back from taking my daughter to audition there for admission. Just curious if anyone had any personal experience with them?

I have to send them her transcripts from school here in CO so we have a two week wait to find out about her audition. Turns out they had an Anime convention directly across the street at the same time as her appointment and we were lucky to find a place to park within walking distance. Damn Bostonians drive crazy. On a side note we were able to see Blue Man Group while there at the Charles Playhouse. I know they are kinda old hat now but we had a great time.

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Just got back from taking my daughter to audition there for admission. Just curious if anyone had any personal experience with them?

I have to send them her transcripts from school here in CO so we have a two week wait to find out about her audition. Turns out they had an Anime convention directly across the street at the same time as her appointment and we were lucky to find a place to park within walking distance. Damn Bostonians drive crazy. On a side note we were able to see Blue Man Group while there at the Charles Playhouse. I know they are kinda old hat now but we had a great time.

I haven't, but my son also has designs on submitting there when he's older (13 in June). What does she play?

Earthling
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Piano and guitar. She also writes and is still thinking of Composition major or Jazz vocal major. Cool your son is interested!

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
That's cool. My son wants to get into composition as well. He started out with percussion, which included bells, that translated to piano, He wanted to pick up strings after that and started violin and is now messing around with the guitar. Its amazing watching people who just have a feel for music making and performing, its extremely prideful when its your own child.

Earthling
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
That's cool. My son wants to get into composition as well. He started out with percussion, which included bells, that translated to piano, He wanted to pick up strings after that and started violin and is now messing around with the guitar. Its amazing watching people who just have a feel for music making and performing, its extremely prideful when its your own child.

Truley! I've been playing for damn near 50 years now and was kind of hoping my daughter went a different direction. (Although I'm proud as hell for her) Just about every musician that I've played with over the years is divorced. Its really, really hard on relationships. The opportunity is usually there, as well as the intoxicants. I'm a rare breed personally, and an exception...married over 35 years now.

I think all the different instruments your son is investigating all will help round out his knowledge base. I wish him great happiness in his musical endeavors.

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Truley! I've been playing for damn near 50 years now and was kind of hoping my daughter went a different direction. (Although I'm proud as hell for her) Just about every musician that I've played with over the years is divorced. Its really, really hard on relationships. The opportunity is usually there, as well as the intoxicants. I'm a rare breed personally, and an exception...married over 35 years now.

I think all the different instruments your son is investigating all will help round out his knowledge base. I wish him great happiness in his musical endeavors.

Congratulations! Thank you for the well wishes and same back to your daughter as she embarks on the next stage of her development. Keep me informed of the process, it would be nice info to have.

Earthling
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Will do ! :thumb:

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Here's his latest on keyboards. He's just starting some vocals and was getting over a nasty cold.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v4hV3IQimik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Earthling
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Awesome! Takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there. Especially solo. Good for him!

Bambi
04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I never went there but these pop icon doofus's Karmin did!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s8cbak34DR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Earthling
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I never went there but these pop icon doofus's Karmin did!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s8cbak34DR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool! The nice thing about going there is you get to pick the brains of prior Berklee alumni. Totally awesome.

RealSNR
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Berklee is fantastic. It teaches skills for practical musicians who want to enter recording studios, play gigs, get involved in the business, etc. I've seen a lot of schools try to replicate its focus on music skills in the modern environment of the music business, and the products that come out of those places are frankly garbage. Berklee is the one school who uses this model that not only turns out a technically trained brilliant musician but also a musician who has a leg up on his/her colleagues who opted for the music degree at a college/university/conservatory.

Granted, I went the conservatory route, which gave me the arts education and college experience I was looking for. That's what worked for me. Also, I majored in piano performance as an undergrad, switched to organ for my master's and did organ/musicology at the PhD level. I really wouldn't have been happy at Berklee. But it sounds like your daughter doesn't exactly want to go my route. In that case I have no doubt she will be happy there.

Deberg_1990
04-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Here's his latest on keyboards. He's just starting some vocals and was getting over a nasty cold.

I think i see American Idol or The Voice in his future...

Rukdafaidas
04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy all attended Berklee, became friends and formed Dream Theater.

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
This one is a bit rough, he just had a few lessons and never sang publicly:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/afE6PCz14lk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was his symphony performance (the horns are awful, but getting better!) :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bX8IqZXFb8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JD10367
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Can't speak for now, but Berklee has been a great school for a long time. My first g/f went there (back in the 1988-1991ish range). One of our coworkers at that time also went there, and now sings in Rockapella. And Boston is an absolute kick-ass college town.

Archie F. Swin
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
The alumni make up only the greatest collection of learned musicians in the nation. That's all.

Lzen
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy all attended Berklee, became friends and formed Dream Theater.

I was going to post that. Also, current Dream Theater drummer, Mike Mangini was a professor at Berklee before getting the DT gig.

Many other famous musicians attended Berklee. Great school from what I've heard.

And......if anyone is interested. Love this documentary.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LduXtT3edlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ultra Peanut
04-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Berklee is the bee's knees imo