PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Travel Channel goes to KC

In58men
04-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Just SAW a preview of a new show on the travel channel. Next Monday (3-16) @ 9 pm pac "Anthony Bourdain: No reservations" goes to Kansas City to look for the best BBQ food.

Thought it was pretty cool seeing a shit load of Chief fans on the show. Looks like he went to the stadium during a tailgate. Got it DVR'ed.

Thig Lyfe
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
There should be a maximum amount of teeth you can have, after which you're no longer allowed to say "just seen." Like maybe six or seven.

Bugeater
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
At least he's not going to look for it in a restaurant.

Dayze
04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Hopefully he doesn't go to the cop out Gates. "hi, may I hep you"? .....yeah...how about some BBQ that doesn't suck?

In58men
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
There should be a maximum amount of teeth you can have, after which you're no longer allowed to say "just seen." Like maybe six or seven.

I just saw........you are correct sir. Thanks for the help.

Bewbies
04-11-2012, 09:11 PM

Must subtract for NASCAR avatar.

Delano
04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
New episode, not 'new show', you dolt. 'No Reservations' has ran for years.

Bewbies
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Personally I prefer The Layover. That said I enjoy the guy's shows.

In58men
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
New episode, not 'new show', you dolt. 'No Reservations' has ran for years.

Sorry, I don't watch much television to tell if it's new or not.

L.A. Chieffan
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up ill check it out.

Where in Kern are you?

suzzer99
04-12-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm a huge No Reservations fan and so of course very excited about this.

For those who don't know, he had a show called A Cook's Tour on the Food Network that was a precursor to No Reservations. One of the episodes in the second season was on BBQ.

He didn't go to Gates but did go to Ok Joes. AFAIK this is when OK Joes started getting a lot of national notoriety. Also he listed OK Joes as one of the 13 places you should eat before you die in some national article.

Here's the full A Cook's Tour episode if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_s_PvWXBk (pt. 1 - has the KC stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9dWa1djpQ&feature=relmfu (pt. 2)

Favorite quote "Oklahoma Joes is the best BBQ in Kansas City, which makes it the best BBQ in the world." **** yeah bitches! (I fistpumped when I first saw it.)

tyton75
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Does it bug anyone else that the best BBQ in the world has "oklahoma" in the name?

can't help it but it bugs the piss outta me

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm a huge No Reservations fan and so of course very excited about this.

For those who don't know, he had a show called A Cook's Tour on the Food Network that was a precursor to No Reservations. One of the episodes in the second season was on BBQ.

He didn't go to Gates but did go to Ok Joes. AFAIK this is when OK Joes started getting a lot of national notoriety. Also he listed OK Joes as one of the 13 places you should eat before you die in some national article.

Here's the full A Cook's Tour episode if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_s_PvWXBk (pt. 1 - has the KC stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9dWa1djpQ&feature=relmfu (pt. 2)

Favorite quote "Oklahoma Joes is the best BBQ in Kansas City, which makes it the best BBQ in the world." **** yeah bitches! (I fistpumped when I first saw it.)

A liiiiiiiiiittle bit pissed that they didn't include Memphis in there.

I think it's actually a two horse race between Memphis, and KC.

NewChief
04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Does it bug anyone else that the best BBQ in the world has "oklahoma" in the name?

can't help it but it bugs the piss outta me

Yes. I especially hate it when I'm talking to people about where to eat BBQ when visiting KC. They're always talking Gates, AB, or Jack Stack. Then I say, "You've got to eat at Oklahoma Joe's." And they give a weird look and say, "Umm. Okay."

It's a tragically horrible name for the best BBQ in Kansas City.

In58men
04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up ill check it out.

Where in Kern are you?

Bakersfield

Agent V
04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Wasn't he at the Chiefs/Packers game?

Red Brooklyn
04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Wasn't he at the Chiefs/Packers game?
Yes, indeed he was. Though judging by the preview for the KC episode, I'm still not sure if he ever made it into the stadium. :D

http://www.travelchannel.com/static_files/imagesource/imageoutput6/bourdain_kansas-city_ss_bts_006_596x334.jpg

Red Brooklyn
04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Also, judging by the photos up on the No Reservations website, Tony hits up (at least) LC's BBQ, Woodyard BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's and BB's Lawnside. Also, Green Dirt Farms and Savoy Grill.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/photos/no-reservations-kansas-city-pictures

SO pumped for this episode. I'm actually going to be flying back from KC to NYC as this airs. Have to check it out on the DVR as soon as I get home.

suzzer99
04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Are the Black Keys from KC?

suzzer99
04-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Memphis got equal billing with St. Louis (a shoutout). That's gotta sting. St. Louis is about as proficient in BBQ as KC is in Cuban food.

Thig Lyfe
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Are the Black Keys from KC?

Nah, Akron or some shit.

Dave Lane
04-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Memphis barbecue totally sucks tried it several times hoping I'd find something good n meh...

vailpass
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM

LMAO yep

vailpass
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Sorry, I don't watch much television to tell if it's new or not.

Don't let these slap dicks get you down.

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Memphis got equal billing with St. Louis (a shoutout). That's gotta sting. St. Louis is about as proficient in BBQ as KC is in Cuban food.

Equal billing by who?

That's straight BS.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-12-2012, 11:23 AM

LOL. Totally agree.

Donger
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Did they lose a bet or something?

Nzoner
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
He should take his ass to Moberly,MO for the best sauce,the Afterburn is :thumb: :thumb: Bugeater knows about it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9xobs854AGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MTG#10
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Ok, Ive been going to Memphis every other weekend to visit my girlfriend and her son who's a patient at St Judes...Ive tried 3 different BBQ joints based on recommendations from different people that work at the hospital. They all sucked, Ive had better BBQ in freakin Springfield. So where is this supposed "good Memphis BBQ" at? Ive tried Corky's, Rendezvous, and Central. Central was the one we got the most recommendations on and it was the worst. The place was a former Red Lobster that they didnt even bother to redecorate and it was dirty as hell. There were actually gnats flying around the iced tea tanks. :Lin:

Memphis barbecue totally sucks tried it several times hoping I'd find something good n meh...

You're a fucking douche but I agree.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok, Ive been going to Memphis every other weekend to visit my girlfriend and her son who's a patient at St Judes...Ive tried 3 different BBQ joints based on recommendations from different people that work at the hospital. They all sucked, Ive had better BBQ in freakin Springfield. So where is this supposed "good Memphis BBQ" at? Ive tried Corky's, Rendezvous, and Central. Central was the one we got the most recommendations on and it was the worst. The place was a former Red Lobster that they didnt even bother to redecorate and it was dirty as hell. There were actually gnats flying around the iced tea tanks. :Lin:

Interstate.

luv
04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

You're a ****ing douche but I agree.

I'm sorry, but Rendezvous is the best dry rub bbq I've ever had. You must be a sauce person.

MTG#10
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry, but Rendezvous is the best dry rub bbq I've ever had. You must be a sauce person.

Of the three I tried they were the best, but nothing close to OK Joe's or Arthur Bryant's. And it depends on what it is...I like dry rub on ribs but sauce on most everything else. I didnt try their ribs.

JimNasium
04-12-2012, 11:40 AM

You're a fucking douche but I agree.
Cozy Corner has the best bar-b-que in Memphis. If you are a fried chicken fan, Gus's is the place to go.

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Interstate.

This!!

And yes, Rendezvous has a good dry rub, but I like Hickory flavor.

Interstate is the best Memphis has to offer.

Not every place in KC has great BBQ either.

MTG#10
I forgot I tried Top's too...it was horrible.

beach tribe
Of the three I tried they were the best, but nothing close to OK Joe's or Arthur Bryant's. And it depends on what it is...I like dry rub on ribs but sauce on most everything else. I didnt try their ribs.

That's where you fucked up. Memphis is ALL ABOUT RIBS.

MTG#10
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
So my next trip I'll try Interstate and Cozy Corner. I hope they change my mind about Memphis bbq because I will be visiting there several more times before I can get back to KC.

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
So my next trip I'll try Interstate and Cozy Corner. I hope they change my mind about Memphis bbq because I will be visiting there several more times before I can get back to KC.

RIBS
I
B
S

Go back to Rendezvous, and try the RIBS as well.

KCUnited
04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
That's where you ****ed up. Memphis is ALL ABOUT RIBS.

Which is why they will always rank behind KC. You got to do beef to be king.

MTG#10
04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
RIBS
I
B
S

Go back to Rendezvous, and try the RIBS as well.

Its hard for me to order ribs at any restaurant because I make some killer fucking ribs so I judge everything against my own and nothing ever comes close. When I go out to eat bbq I want burnt ends, brisket, or pulled pork with sides. The places I tried sucked at all of the above including the sides. Hell none of them even had burnt ends. Maybe I'll have to make an exception but I want to try Interstate first.

sedated
04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I’ve only tried Interstate, and loved it. The only restaurant I’ve gotten 100% perfect ribs. I liked their sauce too – thinner sauce than most KC brands, with perfect sweetness and heat. I regret not picking up a bottle to bring home.

vailpass
04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Did they lose a bet or something?

LMAO The OP title elicits that very thought

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM

KC IS King.

Mem. is #2 IMO though.

beach tribe
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Its hard for me to order ribs at any restaurant because I make some killer ****ing ribs so I judge everything against my own and nothing ever comes close. When I go out to eat bbq I want burnt ends, brisket, or pulled pork with sides. The places I tried sucked at all of the above including the sides. Hell none of them even had burnt ends. Maybe I'll have to make an exception but I want to try Interstate first.

Burnt ends is a KC thing. You probably won't find them very many other places.
I'm sorry you found the shitty eateries in Memphis. There are plenty of them.

suzzer99
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM

http://adaptershack.com/t/fistbump/_tmp_phpirabmc_fistbumps.jpg

Rausch
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Really?...

http://summerskin.flight-of-fancy.net/caps/spn/309/images/Supernatural_309_0063.jpg

luv
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Really?...

http://summerskin.flight-of-fancy.net/caps/spn/309/images/Supernatural_309_0063.jpg

That guy is hot.

vailpass
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
That guy is hot.

He has a ton of stuff in his trunk though.

suzzer99
04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Bump for temporal relevance.

eazyb81
04-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Germantown Commissary and Interstate. I like Rendezvous too but I can see why others might not like it.

cookster50
04-16-2012, 09:10 AM

Psych FTW!

L.A. Chieffan
04-16-2012, 11:03 PM
No feedback on the episode? kcwolfman guy or
whatever was in it.

In58men
04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
No feedback on the episode? kcwolfman guy or
whatever was in it.

Weirdwolf?

It was kinda lame, he went to Strouds, a hair museum and some place where they cook lamb. It wasn't all about BBQ. Kinda gay.

Reaper16
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
he went to Strouds, a hair museum and some place where they cook lamb. It wasn't all about BBQ. Kinda gay.

Idiot.

L.A. Chieffan
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Anybody been to that savoy place? I love it when he talks shit about places he doesnt really like

AustinChief
04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Anybody been to that savoy place? I love it when he talks shit about places he doesnt really like

I love the Savoy Grill! Unless it has seriously gone downhill, Bourdain is full of shit to complain about the Savoy!

L.A. Chieffan
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I love the Savoy Grill! Unless it has seriously gone downhill, Bourdain is full of shit to complain about the Savoy!

He basically said the menu is completely outdated and overreaching. He said just get the steak

Simply Red
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM

let's put it this way L.A. Chieffan, it's not those cilantro infused soft corn shell fish-tacos you were mentioning at Huberts the other night. I'd drive to Santa Fe for those, again.

L.A. Chieffan
04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
let's put it this way L.A. Chieffan, it's not those cilantro infused soft corn shell fish-tacos you were mentioning at Huberts the other night. I'd drive to Santa Fe for those, again.

Listen, their sea urchin ceviche destroys Oklahoma joes

Simply Red
04-17-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm on the verge of tears by the time we arrive at Jack Stack,

since I'm positive we won't have a decent table.

mnchiefsguy
04-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Listen, their sea urchin ceviche destroys Oklahoma joes

Sorry bud, but there is not a fish on this planet that would destroy KC BBQ. The sooner you learn this, the better.

Simply Red
04-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Are you freebasing or what ?

L.A. Chieffan
04-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Sorry bud, but there is not a fish on this planet that would destroy KC BBQ. The sooner you learn this, the better.

Mnchiefsguy, do you like Phil Collins?

Fire Me Boy!
04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm on the verge of tears by the time we arrive at Jack Stack,

since I'm positive we won't have a decent table.

But we do, and relief washes over me in an awesome wave.