PDA

View Full Version : Science Crazy new ride and help needed for Mobile Internet connection

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 08:38 AM
OK I just bought a mobile observatory thats a really cool concept. I can park it in the country get it aligned and then remotely operate it from home. May save me a bunch of camping trips and collect data even on nites when theres just a few hour window of clearing.

Its ugly as dirt but quite functional and unbelievably inexpensive. I fully expect FREE CANDY to be photo shopped on the side by post 7.

The problem is it will be parked at our club site quite a bit which is the total boonies. ATT service is horrible maybe occasionally 1 bar. Verizon I think might be a good choice. I need good reliable internet access so I don't have to drive 90 miles to reset it constantly.

So any good broadband solutions anyone? Maybe a combo broadband card and antenna? Any solutions anyone has tried?

Oh and you can see the MOV in action at the 3:25 mark of the video. The guy I'm buying it from is interviewed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lle0otyIqCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And heres a pic to put the free candy on. :D

KurtCobain
04-14-2012, 08:42 AM
OK I just bought a mobile observatory thats a really cool concept. I can park it in the country get it aligned and then remotely operate it from home. May save me a bunch of camping trips and collect data even on nites when theres just a few hour window of clearing.

Its ugly as dirt but quite functional and unbelievably inexpensive. I fully expect FREE CANDY to be photo shopped on the side by post 7.

The problem is it will be parked at our club site quite a bit which is the total boonies. ATT service is horrible maybe occasionally 1 bar. Verizon I think might be a good choice. I need good reliable internet access so I don't have to drive 90 miles to reset it constantly.

So any good broadband solutions anyone? Maybe a combo broadband card and antenna? Any solutions anyone has tried?

Oh and you can see the MOV in action at the 3:25 mark of the video. The guy I'm buying it from is interviewed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lle0otyIqCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, yeah, but will it save you from the end of the world?

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 08:46 AM
No I'll just see it coming before you do :)

KurtCobain
04-14-2012, 08:50 AM
No I'll just see it coming before you do :)

Well, drop me a pm when you do.

HemiEd
04-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Has it got a Hemi?

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 08:56 AM
350 Chevy.

oldman
04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Chances are that if your AT&T doesn't work, Verizon won't either since you're in the boonies. Are you in a valley or have obstructions? Your best bet would be an antenna with an amp. Wilson makes a series of them and will answer your questions BEFORE you buy. http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Mobile-Solutions.aspx

patteeu
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
It's an observatory built to look at the sky. Why not rig it with satellite broadband (HughesNet or Wild Blue)? I don't know what you have to do to align the dish each time you re-position the vehicle, but as long as you don't need to use the internet while you're on the move it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Are there any coverage maps anywhere for the different carriers?

Phobia
04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Looks like its leaking some fluid.

bevischief
04-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Where is it currently? Just give generally area.

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Between Butler and Pleasanton. About 60-70 miles south of KC. A guy there has a card from Verizon or Sprint and gets really good access.

Oh and Patty if you see the picture he did have a Hughesnet dish that he used . But wind issues caused alot of visits to realign the antenna. Its on a pretty big hill and the wind can be ferocious lost 2 tents there to broken poles in the last year.

Bob Dole
04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Between Butler and Pleasanton. About 60-70 miles south of KC. A guy there has a card from Verizon or Sprint and gets really good access.

Oh and Patty if you see the picture he did have a Hughesnet dish that he used . But wind issues caused alot of visits to realign the antenna. Its on a pretty big hill and the wind can be ferocious lost 2 tents there to broken poles in the last year.

You might be able to get a 4G connection with a Clearspot.

Next time Bob Dole is up that way, he'll check it out.

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
What is a Clearspot?

Dartgod
04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
What is a Clearspot?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clearspot

Donger
04-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Verizon has extensive EVDO coverage in the area. Get the UML-290 USB modem. I have one at our place up in the mountains and it works flawlessly.

big nasty kcnut
04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Here you go.

Hammock Parties
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I had CLEAR wireless service for awhile. It's pretty good, and worked awesome in the car.

You'll have to check with them to make sure you have coverage.

Donger
04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
I had CLEAR wireless service for awhile. It's pretty good, and worked awesome in the car.

You'll have to check with them to make sure you have coverage.

There's no chance that there is 4G coverage where he mentioned. CLEAR is metro-based (WiMAX).

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Here you go.

I should have said 17 posts, this place has lost its burst :)

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 05:53 PM
There's no chance that there is 4G coverage where he mentioned. CLEAR is metro-based (WiMAX).

Looks like Verizon has 3G coverage there Sprint looks like roaming out of network so dicey.

Anyone have an idea of a device to use? The USB modems pretty much look like all there is.

Donger
04-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks like Verizon has 3G coverage there Sprint looks like roaming out of network so dicey.

Anyone have an idea of a device to use? The USB modems pretty much look like all there is.

Yes, the Pantech UML-290, as I said. It has an external antenna jack, too, if needed. I can recommend one if needed.

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes, the Pantech UML-290, as I said. It has an external antenna jack, too, if needed. I can recommend one if needed.

Donger, I consider you a very smart guy so any recommendation you would make would be welcomed.

Donger
04-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Donger, I consider you a very smart guy so any recommendation you would make would be welcomed.

This is the antenna that I have attached to my UML-290 modem. It is worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wireless-Pantech-UML290-Antenna/dp/B006G6GMK4

Bwana
04-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Damn Dave, that's a great idea and from what I have seen, you will really enjoy it. I can't help you with the connection issues, but may I be so bold as to suggest that you hang a smoker off that Cousin Eddie special? :)

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID264/images/quiad-vacation.jpg

Marcellus
04-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Antifreeze?

Chief Roundup
04-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Yeah evidently it was leaking over there to the left behind its current position too. Or is it the RV that is leaking from a "storage" tank eeewww.

Dave Lane
04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
This is the antenna that I have attached to my UML-290 modem. It is worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wireless-Pantech-UML290-Antenna/dp/B006G6GMK4

I think I'm going to go with the Wilson larger antenna so I can mount it on top of the van. It has a larger DBi and can be used on the roof for longer range in case its needed. might even get the amp as I'll need all the bandwidth I can to operate it remotely and hopefully upload pics to dropbox for me.