PDA

View Full Version : Misc Laid Off yesterday

Dayze
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
:#
Was wrapping up my monthly and quarterly project final reports at the end of the day, and my office manager asked me to come to his office for a quick meeting. I thought nothing of it as its pretty routine to do so...to talk about the financial health of various projects, revene, earned value etc.

Took my notes in there with me, then he says "well, I wish this was a meeting for good news , but it's not unfortunately". Handed me a termination letter and we talked for a good 45 minutes.

The layoff wasn't performance related, but rather a result of us not getting awarded several new contracts as anticipated etc. so corporate, in Virginia, started making decisions.

Good news, I suppose, was he said he will write a recommendation letter, or speak to anyone about my work. Also he said he was confident a lot of our Project Managers I supported would do so as well.

He said he appreciated my attitude on the situation. I wrapped up a few loos ends for my PMs before o left. Luckily, I get two weeks severance. Not a lot, but Better than nothing. When I was laid off in 2008, I didn't get jack. And that sucked.

I guess it's the nature of the beast in a project based environment.
Oh well. Happy Friday the 13th for me. Uhhhg.

Anyone know of anyone in need of a project controller?:huh:

LiveSteam
04-14-2012, 01:59 PM
A bunch of unneeded stress is a huge fricken bummer in ones life. Hopefully something bigger & better comes of it.

L.A. Chieffan
04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
That sucks but look at the bright side, more time to do cool stuff.

Dayze
04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
A bunch of unneeded stress is a huge fricken bummer in ones life. Hopefully something bigger & better comes of it.

Thanks man. That's the attitude I'm taking.

mnchiefsguy
04-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will find a new, better place of employment soon. Hang in there and keep your chin up!

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear this. Good luck!

I was let go 3 weeks ago.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear this, Dayze. Best of luck in finding a new path.

Donger
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding a new position.

Are you intent on staying in KC or are you willing to relocate?

Dayze
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding a new position.

Are you intent on staying in KC or are you willing to relocate?

I'll need to stay in kc

LiveSteam
04-14-2012, 02:15 PM
This Proxy Bid company hear in Omaha. They are going places. Maybe check them out?

Im sure they have offices in the KC metro

Bowser
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
What is your field of expertise, Dayze?

Dayze
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
What is your field of expertise, Dayze?

Started out as a contract coordinator, project coordinator and sit acquisition coordinator in building out cellular towers, capacity upgrades etc.

Then sprint bought our company and iwent to Black and Veatch as a project controller. Financial reporting , revenue forecasting etc.

Last gig was as a controller for an environmental company which worked With the EPA, Army Core of Engineers etc.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Started out as a contract coordinator, project coordinator and sit acquisition coordinator in building out cellular towers, capacity upgrades etc.

Then sprint bought our company and iwent to Black and Veatch as a project controller. Financial reporting , revenue forecasting etc.

Last gig was as a controller for an environmental company which worked With the EPA, Army Core of Engineers etc.

Christ, we need MORE of your jobs. Ever been between St. Joe and the Iowa state line on I-29? You have dick for cellphone reception there. Same in Central Mo.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a Jack of All Trades thing going on.

JonesCrusher
04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
My advice; Alcohol and lots of it.

You're welcome in advance.

Fritz88
04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Good luck. Good things are ahead.

ChiefFripp
04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry man, but you'll find something .

Frazod
04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
That sucks. Good luck finding something else.

Predarat
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
I know the feeling, I have been laid off a few times myself, and its is awful. Luckily one of the layoffs had good timing as I had an interview the Friday after I was laid off and they wanted me to start the next Monday. Hope something like that happens to you. Once was jobs sent overseas, one was a contract situation similar to yours, one the company went bankrupt and the doors of the entire company closed for good. I felt so cursed/jinxed after that 3rd one. The 1st one hurt the worst, it was absolutely stunning and it knocked me off a bit.

In58men
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Good luck bro

Mr. Flopnuts
04-14-2012, 03:45 PM
My suggestion is to take a week or two and relax. Unwind. Get fucked up, go hiking, do whatever you do for fun. You didn't ask for this, and you got paid for the 2 weeks, enjoy them. File your unemployment, and after a week or two has gone by, get the fuck after it.

I've always found this to actually get a job faster than freaking the fuck out and scrambling around like the sky is going to fall. You've earned the right to relax for a minute and catch your breath. I highly recommend it.

bevischief
04-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Laid off in June found work in August last year as a contractor. Hope for the best for you.

luv
04-14-2012, 03:56 PM
You probably didn't get anything before because you were actually "laid off". A lay-off doesn't come with a severance package. I got the same thing from my old company. "This is a lay-off, but none of you will get called back, and here's a severance package." Uh, you're not laying me off. You're firing me. They referred to it as a "permanent lay-off". WTF? Is it no longer politically correct to say "we're firing you"?

R8RFAN
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
When one door closes another one opens.... Take the summer off if you can, come back fresh and eager to work...

Don't panic and don't act desperate when looking for a job.

Good Luck to you

bevischief
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Who cares as long as unemployment is paying out.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2012, 04:01 PM
You probably didn't get anything before because you were actually "laid off". A lay-off doesn't come with a severance package. I got the same thing from my old company. "This is a lay-off, but none of you will get called back, and here's a severance package." Uh, you're not laying me off. You're firing me. They referred to it as a "permanent lay-off". WTF? Is it no longer politically correct to say "we're firing you"?Yep. They never say "Fired" anymore.
I wasnt told I was "Laid-off". I was told my position was "eliminated".

R8RFAN
Who cares as long as unemployment is paying out.

Good people don't play the system, Good people find a job... If a man can't find a job I am all for him getting the benefits he paid taxes on to receive.

BigMeatballDave
Who cares as long as unemployment is paying out.Its better than nothing, but its not enough.

luv
04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep. They never say "Fired" anymore.

That happened to me the second time. Only, it was true. The entire plant shut down, so everyone's positions were eliminated.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
When one door closes another one opens.... Take the summer off if you can, come back fresh and eager to work...

Don't panic and don't act desperate when looking for a job.

Good Luck to you<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tQbtXVn-PA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whoman69
04-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear that. I was out of work a good portion of last year and 2005. I wouldn't want anyone to repeat that. Good luck in the job search.

R8RFAN
04-14-2012, 04:14 PM
I have been a lucky man, I have never received a single unemployment check in my entire life

Bugeater
04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Man, sorry to hear for the both of you. My best advice is to go get a job as a maintenance guy at a HUD property somewhere. Not the greatest paying but with the way those lowlife fuckers tear shit up I know my job isn't going anywhere.

DeezNutz
04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Hang in there, man. Best and luck and good wishes your way.

R8RFAN
04-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Man, sorry to hear for the both of you. My best advice is to go get a job as a maintenance guy at a HUD property somewhere. Not the greatest paying but with the way those lowlife ****ers tear shit up I know my job isn't going anywhere.

Tell us some of the better stories of the shit they do. I am interested

Bugeater
04-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Tell us some of the better stories of the shit they do. I am interested
Had a kitchen fire in one unit last Monday. There are rumors that it was set intentionally. Oh, and there was a homicide in the same unit last June.

Lots of domestic violence issues too. Doors kicked in, holes punched into walls and doors, and I found a spot in a recent move-out where it looked like someone's entire body was thrown into a wall. Cops are there on a regular basis as well.

Good fucking times.

Extra Point
04-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Sorry about the layoff, Dayze. Hope you can get something better than what you had.

Chief Roundup
04-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I have been a lucky man, I have never received a single unemployment check in my entire life

Luck has something to do with it, but I think it has a lot more to do with you than luck. JMO

Chief Roundup
04-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your current situation. Hope things get right for you soon.
Do you have a degree? The reason I am asking is because some of those jobs sound a lot like things I will be doing when I get my degree in Business Finance.

TrebMaxx
04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I had my position "eliminated" last June, on my birthday even! So much for loyalty, I had been there for 18 years. The project I worked on was being phased out but I had always thought they would move me on to another project.

Buehler445
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Dayze. Hopefully something comes up.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I have been a lucky man, I have never received a single unemployment check in my entire lifeSame here, until 3 yrs ago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Sorry to hear this. Good luck!

I was let go 3 weeks ago.

Story topper.

;)

Seriously though that really sucks. Best of luck to both of you guys.

58-4ever
04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Have you ever PMed any I.T. Projects?

Iowanian
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Are you willing to relocate?

Put in regional travel?

Bob Dole
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Yep. They never say "Fired" anymore.

Reduction in force.

Bob Dole had to RIF someone last September. Much harder conversation to have than any firing has been.
Posted via Mobile Device

scho63
04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear-come to VA for two weeks with 100 resumes and you can hit at least 100 companies along the Dulles Toll Rd that need good employees. I am guessing you are either defense related or government focused.

This area is booming

Monty
04-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Ditto, but I may in the same situation as our entire business unit is being downsized. Twenty years at the same company, so I feel for you Dayze. Floppy had some great advice about taking some time for yourself. Take it if you can. I know I will.

Dayze
04-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Have you ever PMed any I.T. Projects?

Not necessarily. My time at the company I was at until sprint bought us was working a lot with sub contractors, A&E firms, construction guys, RF engineers, property and leasing/zoning etc.

This last go around was with and environmental company so a lot of the terminology was foreign to me....but the numbers and financial/cost management is the same wherever I would go etc

Dayze
04-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Are you willing to relocate?

Put in regional travel?

I don't think I could relocate at this time. But travel isn't all that big of deal

Toad
04-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Dayze, a lot of us can feel where you are coming from. I was "severed" on Valentines Day this year, but have since landed softly with another company.

You will find a another place. The only decision you will have to make is when, where and how much. I echo the suggestion made by a few here and take a few days to soul search and clean your head if you can. That will allow you to ramp up your resume and job search preparation with a clear mind.

Good luck and God bless.

Dayze
04-14-2012, 06:26 PM
You probably didn't get anything before because you were actually "laid off". A lay-off doesn't come with a severance package. I got the same thing from my old company. "This is a lay-off, but none of you will get called back, and here's a severance package." Uh, you're not laying me off. You're firing me. They referred to it as a "permanent lay-off". WTF? Is it no longer politically correct to say "we're firing you"?

Yeah. In 2008 our company went bankrupt and they closed our office. Completely out of the blue.

gblowfish
04-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Two weeks severance sucks. Did you have any earned vacation or sick time? They should have to pay you for that too.

R8RFAN
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Had a kitchen fire in one unit last Monday. There are rumors that it was set intentionally. Oh, and there was a homicide in the same unit last June.

Lots of domestic violence issues too. Doors kicked in, holes punched into walls and doors, and I found a spot in a recent move-out where it looked like someone's entire body was thrown into a wall. Cops are there on a regular basis as well.

Good ****ing times.

Who pays for that shit? The taxpayers?

rad
04-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Good people don't play the system, Good people find a job... If a man can't find a job I am all for him getting the benefits he paid taxes on to receive.

Pretty sure Unemployment Insurance is financed by the previous employer, not the tax pool.

Bugeater
04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Who pays for that shit? The taxpayers?
Nah, the residents have to pay for damages or they'll get evicted and lose their subsidy. If they skip out then it comes out of the budget for the property.

R8RFAN
04-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Pretty sure Unemployment Insurance is financed by the previous employer, not the tax pool.

I have been at the same job for 18 years, how would that work?

Dayze
04-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Two weeks severance sucks. Did you have any earned vacation or sick time? They should have to pay you for that too.

Yeah. I thought I would get more severance after being there three years...but I oh well. Maybe that's in line

The thing that sucks is they made almost everyone take their vacation at the end of the year because they wanted to improve their overhead numbers by reducing it.

And I only got 7 days vacation a yr. so I only have a couple of hours of vacation left.

gblowfish
04-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Sounds like whoever you land with next should have better benefits package. You should get at least two weeks vacation, or one week plus five personal days a year.

Chief Roundup
04-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I have been at the same job for 18 years, how would that work?

Unemployment is insurance. It is based on the last full quarter you worked. Then as you continue to draw they will continue to go back.

Ming the Merciless
04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
youll be fine man....You seem to have a great take on things...

You'll find something even better, maybe something that makes you happier even.

Rain Man
04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Why do bad things happen to good posters?

Sorry to hear, dayze, and I hope you land on your feet and find something even better. I suspect you will.

Bwana
04-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear this dude. I know you will be back in the game, in no time at all.

Dayze
04-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks all for the sound advice and good thoughts. Its appreciated. Another reason why this place is awesome. That, and the epic fail and ass thread

Bump
04-14-2012, 08:20 PM
corporate demands get tougher and tougher every year in my experience. They love to fire and hire.

sorry to hear it, work for someone who can appreciate you.

Dayze
04-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm hopeful to get something in a non project based/billable work based company.