View Full Version : Chiefs work out C Ben Jones

Mr. Laz
04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
maybe they prefer that Hudson stay at LG instead :shrug:

================
Ben Jones to visit the Eagles this weekend
by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm ET

Ben Jones Profile

University of Georgia center Ben Jones visits the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend.

Jones has worked out privately for the Baltimore Ravens, Eagles, New York Jets, Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals and the St. Louis Rams.

The 6-foot-3, 303-pounder bench pressed 225 pounds 29 times at the NFL scouting combine, registering a 5.44 in the 40-yard dash, a 30 1/2 inch vertical leap, an 8-9 broad jump, a 7.95 in the three-cone drill and a 4.74 in the 20-yard shuttle.

Jones started all four seasons for the Bulldogs and is graded as a second-round draft pick.

Jones played in the Senior Bowl and garnered All-American and All-Southeastern Conference notice last season.

We caught up with Jones recently for the following interview:

Scout: How's the draft process going?

Jones: "It's been a great process. You work out every day. You don't have to go to class. I think I can get used to that. It's exciting.

"This has been a dream of mine to play in the NFL. I'm soaking in the moment. I'm not really that nervous. Eerything has worked out and I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

Scout: What kind of feedback are you getting from NFL teams?

Jones: "They like that I'm a smart player that knows the ofense. I was a leader in college. I'm definitely able to communicate and make all the checks. That's a vital part of what we do at center. I lost 10 to 15 pounds, so I'm more athletic now. I'm hearing second round, no later than the third.

"I can change directions well. I can play guard. I can be a swingman. Teams aren't going to draft just a center. You've got to be able to play all three interior spots."

Scout: What would you like to do as far as getting involved in the community?

Jones: "I'm an education major and I love working with kids. I want to do camps in the summer and offseason. I've worked in the Boys and Girls club in Athens. I want to have a free camp for kids to have an opportunity. When I'm done playing, I want to coach. I want to stay around football the rest of my life."

Scout: Do you emulate any NFL centers?

Jones: "I'm definitely a big fan of Jeff Saturday. I grew up watching him. He's one of my role models."

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com.

O.city
04-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I like leaving Hudson at guard.

I don't know anything about this guy though. Someone fill me in.

milkman
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I like the idea of drafting a true center and leaving Hudson at guard far better than moving Hudson to center.

O.city
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I do too Milk, I just don't know if Jones is the Center we want.

milkman
04-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I do too Milk, I just don't know if Jones is the Center we want.

What I remember about Ben Jones is that he's strong, but he's not really a a good fit for a zone scheme.

But, if he's lost a few lbs and still has that strength, he might be a guy that can adjust.

Truth is, I'm not too concerned about a center that isn't a perfect fit for the zone scheme if he's strong enough to man up in the middle.

Weigman got abused by NTs and stronger DTs consistently the last couple of years.

O.city
04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah I'd like a strong guy up there. I do wonder if Hudson can play C at a great clip. If I think he can do that, I'm a little more ok with taking DeCastro.

BossChief
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Have we brought Decastro in for a private workout?

Sure would be nice if one of the top centers falls to our second rounder.

aturnis
04-14-2012, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't mind Jones.

Good in pass pro, making line calls and picking up blitzes, his real weakness is run blocking. Not bad, but he's no road grader. I don’t think that will turn Pioli off much though. He might not drive guys, but he doesn't get overpowered either. That means less RB's tackled in the backfield, and more of a chance of converting in short yardage situations. Our zone blocking scheme doesn't necessarily suit him, but again, his skillet set does have a place on this team.

aturnis
04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Laz felt, feels a 13 round pick is worth humming a fewbar of, I really tried, but didn't

:spock:

O.city
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I like the zbs, but we seemed to get killed up the middle with it or atleast we did with Weiggs. I'd like to have a guy that could dominate big NT and DTs.

Chief Roundup
04-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I would rather us pick a C in the middle rounds than pick DeCastro at 11. That would still solidify our OL and allow us to get a difference maker somewhere else.

Saccopoo
04-15-2012, 12:18 AM
I like the zbs, but we seemed to get killed up the middle with it or atleast we did with Weiggs. I'd like to have a guy that could dominate big NT and DTs.

Wiegmann was fine. Look at the stats. Go watch the 49'ers/Chiefs game in 2010. He destroyed Franklin. Casey blocked just fine all season last year as well.

I don't know who started this "He's old and isn't 325 lbs." shit, but that's what it was - shit. He was better last year than he was in 2010.

However, Asamoah did struggled last year and I'll chalk that up to being a noob.

However, Casey is likely going to retire, so a center is needed.

aturnis
04-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Wiegmann was fine. Look at the stats. Go watch the 49'ers/Chiefs game in 2010. He destroyed Franklin. Casey blocked just fine all season last year as well.

I don't know who started this "He's old and isn't 325 lbs." shit, but that's what it was - shit. He was better last year than he was in 2010.

However, Asamoah did struggled last year and I'll chalk that up to being a noob.

So THAT'S why our short yardage running game has done so well since he came along!

You can watch. There are many games where he got his ass handed to him. Also, the argument that his light weight, combined with his age, led to Casey getting pushed around late in the season hold a lot of water.

Why again, were Chiefs RB's tackled in the backfield so often. Often times, as soon as the RB got his hands on the ball. Those defenders came up the middle...

the Talking Can
04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I like the idea of drafting a true center and leaving Hudson at guard far better than moving Hudson to center.

this

and we avoid drafting a guard at #11...which means i don't have to shoot my face off for like the 345432235th time

Brock
04-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Go watch a game from early 2010, that will show you that he's fine. Really? You've made a lot of stupid arguments, but this one takes the prize.