PDA

View Full Version : Football Do people still hate Jo-Pa?

Cornstock
04-20-2012, 02:25 AM
I was just reading an article on ESPN.com about Penn State paying Jo-Pa's estate $5.5 million in bonuses owed and it got me thinking...

You can read the article here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7834352/penn-state-pays-more-55-million-joe-paterno-estate

Now that the whole situation is a few months removed, do people still hate him? Was he hated by everyone or did some people think he just got caught in a bad situation? Is his legacy still destroyed now that everyone has had a chance to cool down a little bit?

I personally think he was just caught in a bad situation. I sure as hell wouldn't know how to handle something like that within the football program. However, the things that went on within the program were tragic and I can only hope those involved can someday forgive the way Penn State handled the situation. What do you guys think?

BryanBusby
04-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Paterno did the absolute bare minimum in a situation where children were getting raped. How could you not?

Forget what he did on the football field. Would you be okay if he didn't report knowledge or your child being raped?

Cornstock
04-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Paterno did the absolute bare minimum in a situation where children were getting raped. How could you not?

Forget what he did on the football field. Would you be okay if he didn't report knowledge or your child being raped?

IIRC he actually did report it on numerous occasions to the athletic director. To disastrous results, the message got lost in the bureaucratic administrative process. Where he went wrong was not reporting it to the police.

I strongly dislike structures of hierarchy such as the administrative hierarchy at Penn State. You are supposed to report things to your superior and follow protocol. This is a fine procedure for day-to-day happenings but it doesn't allow for situations such as this. I would have hoped that Jo-Pa would have the common sense to see this was not a day-to-day occurrence and would have taken appropriate actions. The lack of common sense caused an incredible error in judgement.

Cornstock
04-20-2012, 02:56 AM
While he made some serious errors, I don't hate him. We all make mistakes. His was more serious than a lot of ours though.

ChiefMojo
04-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Don't hate him at all. Sure he could have done more but people can't say he didn't try. He was in a very difficult situation. He didn't like what was going on with the children anymore than anyone else.

From what I have read, it seems he didn't want to personally go to the police because he didn't want to be personally involved in the case than he already had to be in the future. He went through the "proper" channels of what the Penn State bylaws state but as we all know that was a cluster f*ck of a operation.

I'm not about to downgrade all the great things he did for Penn State and college football in general. There are many out there that want to throw all the great things he did for humankind just for one mistake of not reporting what he knew to the police. Sad ordeal. I'll admit, I was pissed he didn't report at first either but cooler heads prevailed and I realized one mistake doesn't ruin a good person.

Ultra Peanut
04-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Yes.

Sure he could have done more but people can't say he didn't try. He was in a very difficult situation. He didn't like what was going on with the children anymore than anyone else. Pity poor Joe Paterno, eternal God-King of State College. He was unable to do more than the bare minimum when informed on multiple occasions that one of his assistants was a serial child rapist. Who among us hasn't faced such a situation and let it be quietly swept under the rug for over a decade?

Radar Chief
04-20-2012, 07:11 AM
IIRC he actually did report it on numerous occasions to the athletic director. To disastrous results, the message got lost in the bureaucratic administrative process. Where he went wrong was not reporting it to the police.

I strongly dislike structures of hierarchy such as the administrative hierarchy at Penn State. You are supposed to report things to your superior and follow protocol. This is a fine procedure for day-to-day happenings but it doesn't allow for situations such as this. I would have hoped that Jo-Pa would have the common sense to see this was not a day-to-day occurrence and would have taken appropriate actions. The lack of common sense caused an incredible error in judgement.

Using the chain of command doesn’t mean you report to your superior and say, “oh well I tried” when there are children involved. He should have chased the issue up the chain of command until he got Sandusky out of a situation where he had contact with children. He had a decade to do something about it but didn’t.
I don't hate but I don't have any pity for him either.

jbwm89
04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Yes.

Pity poor Joe Paterno, eternal God-King of State College. He was unable to do more than the bare minimum when informed on multiple occasions that one of his assistants was a serial child rapist. Who among us hasn't faced such a situation and let it be quietly swept under the rug for over a decade?

It's amazing how many people have this opinion. We are talking about someone who had all the power in the world to stop children from being raped and did nothing. Paterno was Penn State, and he failed miserably.

WV
04-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Can't say I "hate" the man, but if he were any kind of human he would have done A LOT more.

Chiefnj2
04-20-2012, 07:28 AM
He was perhaps one of the most cowardly and self centered man to ever walk the planet.

Amnorix
04-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Using the chain of command doesn’t mean you report to your superior and say, “oh well I tried” when there are children involved. He should have chased the issue up the chain of command until he got Sandusky out of a situation where he had contact with children. He had a decade to do something about it but didn’t.
I don't hate but I don't have any pity for him either.

That and the fact that we're talking about JOE FUCKING PATERNO. He was a living God in that state and at that University. There's no chain of command for Paterno, though I'm sure he respected the chain of command that was nominally in place most of the time.

But when JOE F'ING PATERNO wanted something to happen, you bet your ass it happened. When you have the clout he did, you can't hide behind chain of authority.

Amnorix
04-20-2012, 07:36 AM
What I really, really don't understand is how you can keep working with someone like that, have him report to you, walk into your office, etc.

How are you not thinking, anytime he's walking in a direction remotely near the showers "wonder if he's going to (just did) rape some kid"? It just makes no sense to me. I can't wrap my head around it.

ForeverChiefs58
04-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Did he know Sandusky had an incendent with a child?

Was it seen that Sandusky was discarded in a river? Locked away from children in a jail cell? or was he allowed back on the sidelines and even allowed to bring children?

That is his legacy.

When one of his players broke the law with burglary, drugs, whatever, he would make sure his influence would keep them from getting in trouble. Imagine if he used that influence for good and had Sandusky put away? Could have been a hero, chose otherwise. The end.

Fire Me Boy!
04-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I misread and thought this said, "Do people still hate Jo-Po?" And I thought, "Who hates Joe Posnanski, and WHY?!?!"

Phobia
04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
I hope he dies.

Canofbier
04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I misread and thought this said, "Do people still hate Jo-Po?" And I thought, "Who hates Joe Posnanski, and WHY?!?!"

Haha, same here.

Skyy God
04-20-2012, 09:10 AM

He was writing a sycophantic book about Jo Pa when the scandal broke....

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
He's dead.

Who cares?

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
I personally think he was just caught in a bad situation. I sure as hell wouldn't know how to handle something like that within the football program. However, the things that went on within the program were tragic and I can only hope those involved can someday forgive the way Penn State handled the situation. What do you guys think?I think he was the HC and should have not turned a blind eye to his so called friend and allowed him to fuck young boys. Scumbags. Everyone involved.

Garcia Bronco
04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
For all that stuff he did, it's been erased by standing by and letting that sicko ever be near kids again.

BigCatDaddy
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Don't hate him, just think he's was a self-serving douche.

vailpass
04-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Why would anyone not prone to knee-jerk reactions or pitchfork mentality hate JoePa?

jAZ
04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
He showed himself to be a horrible person.

jAZ
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Why would anyone not prone to knee-jerk reactions or pitchfork mentality hate JoePa?

He chose his football program's success over protecting children from being raped? Just a guess.

saphojunkie
04-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Because rational, measured thought leads us to the same conclusions.

vailpass
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
He chose his football program's success over protecting children from being raped? Just a guess.

Did you miss the part where I excepted people prone to knee-jerk reactions or pitchfork mentality? Don't go all Gabby Giffords here and lose your ability to think rationally.

Canofbier
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Did you miss the part where I excepted people prone to knee-jerk reactions or pitchfork mentality? Don't go all Gabby Giffords here and lose your ability to think rationally.

If you were in his situation and your "rational" thought was to allow the raping of children, then you'd be an awful person.

Chiefnj2
04-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Vailpass, proud Nambla member since 1980.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Why would anyone not prone to knee-jerk reactions or pitchfork mentality hate JoePa?So, you're saying you support pedophilia?

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I personally think he was just caught in a bad situation.How the fuck do you get 'caught' in something like this?

vailpass
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
LMAO at the stupid in this thread

Demonpenz
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
There is a Bridge where old coaches Die go too.
They are there with the finest cordinators and all
the gatorade they can drink. Their teams don't
go offsides and the refs never swallow their whistles.
There is no rape, murder, or fraud. No one can
Diddle little kids, No one crashes their motorcycle with sluts on
the back. You can have all the Tanners Waitresses you want and party freely with Iowa State Frats.
This is where coaches go when they die....Win one for Rich Kotite.....win one last one for Rich Kotite....
See you again....at Rainbow bridge.

vailpass
04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Diddle little kids, No crashes their motorcycle with sluts on
the back. You can have all the Tanners Waitresses you want and party freely with Iowa State Frats.
This is where coaches go when they die....Win one for Rich Kotite.....win one last one for Rich Kotite....

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Nothing nearly as stupid as anyone supporting Joe after this shit.

Fuck him. I hope he rots in hell.

Canofbier
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

It's good to be able to laugh at oneself.

Discuss Thrower
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Oh no... that's just so wrong.. but so right.

vailpass
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
It's good to be able to laugh at oneself.

Ouch. That one hurt.

ChiTown
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I just dropped a watery deuce on JaPa's grave. Is that wrong?

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Not at all. I love people who don't report or go above and beyond when it comes to possible child molestation allegations.

Cornstock
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
How the **** do you get 'caught' in something like this?

He got caught in the sense that it wasn't him doing it. I'm not defending him because what he did was wrong. He could have put a stop to it.

If you are in charge of a group of people and one of the group decides to do something like Sandusky did it reflects poorly on the entire organization. Jo-Pa was going to look bad no matter what. But he made it much, much worse on himself.

BryanBusby
04-20-2012, 01:34 PM
It doesn't matter how he and his program looks when it comes down to something like that. It comes down to the fact he was informed that child rape was happening in the facilities he was in charge of and basically allowed it to continue.

This isn't putting your bimbo on the back of your motorcycle and crashing while texting. Kids were being raped.

If he wasn't Joe fucking Paterno, you wouldn't be wondering if "people were a bit harsh when looking at his legacy"

DeezNutz
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM

This post reminds me of '06.

DJ's left nut
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
People will continue to hate him as long as the moral grand standers on ESPN tell them to.

Chiefnj2
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
People will continue to hate him as long as the moral grand standers on ESPN tell them to.

Without ESPN child molestation would be accepted.

Deberg_1990
04-20-2012, 01:57 PM

I don't hate him. I think he's a.really good writer. But I do think he's waaay too saccharine and rosy all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM

He didn't bet on baseball. JoPa will forever be a villan.

BryanBusby
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Haha yeah dude ESPN is telling me to dislike people who help cover up child rape.

jfc

ChiTown
04-20-2012, 02:44 PM

That makes absolutely NO sense.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Eat shit. I rarely watch ESPN.

I hate him because he let it happen.

Run along, you're gonna be late to your NAMBLA meeting.

saphojunkie
04-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh yay it's another month of morons defending this piece of shit. Anyone still defending Paterno can hang from their dick until it's long enough to literally fuck themselves.

qabbaan
04-20-2012, 03:14 PM
None of those kids who got raped while he stood idly by knowing nothing was being done about it got un-raped recently, so I'd say yes, I still hate him.

When the story first broke Paterno was asked about Sandusky and said "If it's true, we were all fooled" though we now know from his depositions that he knew damn well it was true and he was still trying to save face.

Maybe he is an icon in Pennsylvania but **** him

vailpass
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
LMAO

redfan
04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
LMAO

Yes, fucking hilarious. :shake:

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
LMAO

Why is this funny?

Thig Lyfe
04-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Disliking somebody for enabling a child rapist is a little too progressive for vailpass's tastes.

burt
04-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Haha yeah dude ESPN is telling me to dislike people who help cover up child rape.

jfc

My input wasn't that he helped cover up anything....he just wasn't as diligent as he, perhaps, should have been. I TRY not to judge anyone untill I know ALL the facts. Even then, I imagine Jo Pa has already been judged by the one he should be judged by.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
it appears that Penn State may be acknowledging that they misshandled the Paterno firing?

BryanBusby
04-20-2012, 06:12 PM
My input wasn't that he helped cover up anything....he just wasn't as diligent as he, perhaps, should have been. I TRY not to judge anyone untill I know ALL the facts. Even then, I imagine Jo Pa has already been judged by the one he should be judged by.
I'd say considering he didn't this to the proper authorities and made sure it was addressed, yeah he covered it up.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd say considering he didn't this to the proper authorities and made sure it was addressed, yeah he covered it up.

from what I've heard Jo Pa followed school protocol on the situation. He's getting judged by outsiders for not doing more and he acknowledged he should have done more. However, he also said he was completely unprepared for these rumors/accusations and how to deal with them but in hindsight he should have done more.

IMHO this whole fiasco absolutely helped kill Jo Pa. He was going to die once out of football but this whole thing just did him in a lot quicker IMHO.

burt
04-20-2012, 06:43 PM

I have to ask.... How much did he REALLY know? If he was absolutely sure of what had happened, wouldn't he have gone to the Police? Maybe he just caught a glimpse...enough to alert his superiors and NOT the police? Heck, maybe he panicked?

Once again, I don't know, but believe he has been judged by the proper judge.

burt
04-20-2012, 06:44 PM
from what I've heard Jo Pa followed school protocol on the situation. He's getting judged by outsiders for not doing more and he acknowledged he should have done more. However, he also said he was completely unprepared for these rumors/accusations and how to deal with them but in hindsight he should have done more.

IMHO this whole fiasco absolutely helped kill Jo Pa. He was going to die once out of football but this whole thing just did him in a lot quicker IMHO.

Hindsight makes everything clearer. And sometimes makes people fast to judge.