PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs We haven't had a good ol' fashioned CP freakout in a while.

Direckshun
04-22-2012, 10:41 AM
This was mentioned in DraftPlanet, but really deserves its own thread:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-21/2012-nfl-draft-countdown-sns-no-4-prospect-usc-ot-matt-kalil

2012 NFL Draft countdown: SN's No. 4 prospect, USC OT Matt Kalil
PUBLISHED Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:51 am EDT

Strengths: Kalil is a tall tackle with remarkable athleticism. He has excellent quickness and natural flexibility that enable him to set up quickly with leverage. As a result, he is able to slide out easily to block explosive pass rushers. (Vital statistics: 6-7, 306, 4.98 in the 40-yard dash)

Because of his arm length, he is able to quickly get his hands on pass rushers. In addition, he is able to control opponents by swiftly getting his hands between their shoulders. When he maintains his leverage in pass protection, he can react quickly to quick pass-rush moves inside. He consistently works well with the guard to switch off against a defensive lineman’s stunts.

He is able to hand off the man he is pass blocking to pick up a delayed blitzer. He does an excellent job of firing down the line of scrimmage on in-line run blocks. He also is able to drive his opponent down the line to create holes in the running game.

Kalil is quick to get outside to block cornerbacks on quick-hitting screen passes to wide receivers. He also swiftly gets through the line to block linebackers out of the play at the second level.

Weaknesses: Kalil loses focus at times, causing his technique to suffer. When this occurs, he takes an upright position in pass protection that doesn’t allow him to adjust to quick pass-rush moves.

Because of his competitiveness and aggressive nature, he will attempt knockout blocks on linebackers at the second level. He often delivers a powerful initial blow but overextends and loses contact with the defender.

He does not establish good leverage on straight-ahead run blocks. Consequently, he can be jolted upright and backward. When this occurs, he is shed quickly by strong, aggressive defensive linemen.

Draft status: Kalil will be a top-five pick and has all the physical talent to start immediately at left tackle in the NFL. He will be a long-term fixture protecting his quarterback’s blind side. The Vikings, Rams and Chiefs all are teams with interest in Kalil.

If young Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder is going to improve in 2012, he needs better protection—and Kalil would provide a significant upgrade. Most mock drafts have the Vikings taking Kalil at No. 3 overall, but general manager Rick Spielman reportedly is shopping the pick.

During the 2011 season, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford took a lot of punishment because of poor offensive line play. If Kalil slips to No. 6, where the Rams are drafting after their blockbuster trade with the Redskins, St. Louis would be tempted to take him and make him Bradford’s blind-side protector for the next decade.

If Kalil isn’t selected by the Vikings, our sources tell us the Chiefs (who own the 11th overall pick) will attempt to trade up to obtain him. Kansas City recently signed former Texan Eric Winston to play right tackle and have 2008 first-round pick Branden Albert at left tackle. Albert is solid but not great and has only one year remaining on his contract. In 2012, Kalil could take over at left tackle, which would allow the Chiefs to move Albert to guard.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2012, 10:42 AM
AOL sportingnews has always had the inside scoop.

Direckshun
04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
On the plus side, one season of this would be fun:

LT: Kalil
LG: Albert
C: Hudson
RG: Asamoah
RT: Winston

Hammock Parties
AustinChief LOOOOOVES this thread.

AndChiefs
When all else fails...claim that the Chiefs will draft a LT.

tk13
04-22-2012, 10:45 AM
There'll be plenty of freakouts next week, don't worry. Everyone's just saving their energy.

Bowser
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
We're going to draft that defensive end from LSU in th efirst round. Bank on it.

Bugeater
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Trade up for an LT? Saccocrap just came.

KurtCobain
04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
I hope we draft the nt from Florida state.

Coogs
04-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Just based off of the article, it would appear we would have to trade up with Cleveland or Tampa to get Kalil. Moving to #4 or #5 could be pretty pricey. Can't see this happening at all... which means it is probably a done deal if he gets by the Vikes.

04-22-2012, 11:17 AM
If we are doing any trades it will be a trade down.

Coogs
04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
If we are doing any trades it will be a trade down.

Got a link for that, or is that just a gut feeling?

04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Got a link for that, or is that just a gut feeling?

Just my gut.

Coogs
04-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Just my gut.

I'm still not sure. I tend to agree with you, but yet at the same time I still think we could move for Tannehill with Jax. I would be mildly surprised if we did that, but not totally shocked.

And if we don't move up to #7... and Tannehill goes to Miami at #8, I'm thinking we are going Poe or DeCastro while staying put at #11.

Nightfyre
04-22-2012, 12:12 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKOyI97odFmQAn-ZlX5TkmFD1A4fJX-hFCsgPRae0_2CAOW_Wq

Munson
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
True fans everywhere just jizzed their pants.

milkman
04-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm still not sure. I tend to agree with you, but yet at the same time I still think we could move for Tannehill with Jax. I would be mildly surprised if we did that, but not totally shocked.

And if we don't move up to #7... and Tannehill goes to Miami at #8, I'm thinking we are going Poe or DeCastro while staying put at #11.

I highly doubt Poe is the pick because Scott Pioli does value college production, something that Poe lacks.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Sac just made the Randy Marsh sneaking in and using internet scene look mild.

O.city
04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't think Poe is the pick. If we knew that Powe was gonna work out, I think Poe would have a better chance being the pick. I think he has the skills just needs to be developed.

Being that we don't really have a proven guy there yet, I'd think they would look more for a guy like Chapman.

However, that's where you tend to get in trouble drafting for need.

Coogs
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I highly doubt Poe is the pick because Scott Pioli does value college production, something that Poe lacks.

I'm just seeing to many pundits comming down the home stretch with their picks giving us Poe or DeCastro. Starting to scare me a little.

O.city
04-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't think many draft guys have a clue what the Chiefs are gonna do.

Saul Good
04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Trade up in the draft...pick a lineman over a QB

Hammock Parties
04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
This wouldn't be awful, if you don't feel Albert is worth big money, I guess. :shrug:

milkman
04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm just seeing to many pundits comming down the home stretch with their picks giving us Poe or DeCastro. Starting to scare me a little.

Not overly concerned with what the pundits think.

How many years is it now that they've been picking a LT in the first round for the Chiefs?

whoman69
04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Not going to happen in any case. The Vikings are dumb, but they're not that dumb.

BTW, this place has pretty much been in permanent meltdown mode of Manning and Tannehill.

bevischief
04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
:BLVD::popcorn:

Coogs
04-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Not overly concerned with what the pundits think.

How many years is it now that they've been picking a LT in the first round for the Chiefs?

They did nail the Jackson pick just prior to the draft.

KurtCobain
04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Just my gut.

Oh jeez.

tk13
04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
They did nail the Jackson pick just prior to the draft.

That was probably a bit easier because that was the 3rd overall pick. Way less variables in front of pick 3 than pick 11. Like this year, everybody knows who is going with the first two picks. But even the Chiefs don't know all the things that might go down before 11.

KCDC
04-22-2012, 01:00 PM
I suspect that AOL's source is part of that pre-draft misinformation that flows to people that really don't have a good source.

The problem/beauty of CP is that one third of this board going to freakout no matter who is chosen:

Tannehill: OMG a quitter in big games with no real experience. Stanzi is better. Are you kidding me? If Miami didn't take him, why the Hell did we? /cp

Brockers: OMG, another LSU lineman that is better in a 4-3 than a 3-4! Have we learned nothing? He'd have been available later in the round. TJ redux! /cp

Keuchly: OMG, we don't need another DJ. Where the Hell is he going to play? Belcher is getting better. We don't need LBs to cover TEs. Only safeties can cover TEs. Why the Hell did we not take Barron? /cp

Barron: Are you kidding me? He ain't that good, we have Lewis who is just fine thank you very much, and we have bigger needs like NT! /cp

Poe: Complete bust! Bank on it. Who the Hell takes a developmental player that will play only two downs a series who did not do anything special in college? Take someone proven who can start day one and be a pro bowler, like DeCastro /cp

DeCastro: A guard is never worth a first round pick. OMG So what he starts Day one, guards have no impact on going to the Superbowl and now we have to force Hudson to become a center, which is not his natural position. Totally wasted pick. We could have drafted a guard in any other round. We know they are all plug and play regardless of what round they are taken in. /cp

So, get ready for a freak out with any pick. I might be joining the freakout if Poe is picked, for example. Two years ago we were spoiled because Berry was the consensus pick of almost the entire board. This year is going to be explosive. I'm going to try and give Pioli the benefit of the doubt on whomever he picks, even if it is a headscratcher. I have to assume that they saw something that the average fan and pundit could not. We are also not in a critical need at any one position. It will be fun to see this board light up Thursday night. I just hope there is more headnodding than hate, though I doubt it. ;)

04-22-2012, 01:00 PM

I think 11 is too high for either of those guys. I think we will trade down several slots to get them.

BigMeatballDave
04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
If Kalil isn’t selected by the Vikings, our sources tell us the Chiefs (who own the 11th overall pick) will attempt to trade up to obtain him. Kansas City recently signed former Texan Eric Winston to play right tackle and have 2008 first-round pick Branden Albert at left tackle. Albert is solid but not great and has only one year remaining on his contract. In 2012, Kalil could take over at left tackle, which would allow the Chiefs to move Albert to guard.:grr:

BigMeatballDave
04-22-2012, 01:05 PM
On the plus side, one season of this would be fun:

LT: Kalil
LG: Albert
C: Hudson
RG: Asamoah
RT: WinstonYou're forgetting who the QB is.

whoman69
04-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I suspect that AOL's source is part of that pre-draft misinformation that flows to people that really don't have a good source.

The problem/beauty of CP is that one third of this board going to freakout no matter who is chosen:

Tannehill: OMG a quitter in big games with no real experience. Stanzi is better. Are you kidding me? If Miami didn't take him, why the Hell did we? /cp

Brockers: OMG, another LSU lineman that is better in a 4-3 than a 3-4! Have we learned nothing? He'd have been available later in the round. TJ redux! /cp

Keuchly: OMG, we don't need another DJ. Where the Hell is he going to play? Belcher is getting better. We don't need LBs to cover TEs. Only safeties can cover TEs. Why the Hell did we not take Barron? /cp

Barron: Are you kidding me? He ain't that good, we have Lewis who is just fine thank you very much, and we have bigger needs like NT! /cp

Poe: Complete bust! Bank on it. Who the Hell takes a developmental player that will play only two downs a series who did not do anything special in college? Take someone proven who can start day one and be a pro bowler, like DeCastro /cp

DeCastro: A guard is never worth a first round pick. OMG So what he starts Day one, guards have no impact on going to the Superbowl and now we have to force Hudson to become a center, which is not his natural position. Totally wasted pick. We could have drafted a guard in any other round. We know they are all plug and play regardless of what round they are taken in. /cp

So, get ready for a freak out with any pick. I might be joining the freakout if Poe is picked, for example. Last year we were spoiled because Berry was the consensus pick of almost the entire board. This year is going to be explosive. I'm going to try and give Pioli the benefit of the doubt on whomever he picks, even if it is a headscratcher. I have to assume that they saw something that the average fan and pundit could not. We are also not in a critical need at any one position. It will be fun to see this board light up Thursday night. I just hope there is more headnodding than hate, though I doubt it. ;)

Pretty much.

I promise not to freak out...

Ok, can't promise that I will keep that promise.

KCDC
04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I edited to note that Berry was two years ago.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay cool; but, I get as worked up as anyone on draft day. It is great fun to watch the draft even though our shouts at the TV screen have no impact on the selection. :)

Pasta Little Brioni
04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

So, get ready for a freak out with any pick. I might be joining the freakout if Poe is picked, for example. Two years ago we were spoiled because Berry was the consensus pick of almost the entire board. This year is going to be explosive. I'm going to try and give Pioli the benefit of the doubt on whomever he picks, even if it is a headscratcher. I have to assume that they saw something that the average fan and pundit could not. We are also not in a critical need at any one position. It will be fun to see this board light up Thursday night. I just hope there is more headnodding than hate, though I doubt it. ;)

Haha and soooo true.

RealSNR
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

So, get ready for a freak out with any pick. I might be joining the freakout if Poe is picked, for example. Two years ago we were spoiled because Berry was the consensus pick of almost the entire board. This year is going to be explosive. I'm going to try and give Pioli the benefit of the doubt on whomever he picks, even if it is a headscratcher. I have to assume that they saw something that the average fan and pundit could not. We are also not in a critical need at any one position. It will be fun to see this board light up Thursday night. I just hope there is more headnodding than hate, though I doubt it. ;)I'm pretty sure 95% + of this board would be content (at the very least) if that pick were Ingram or a trade down

Simplicity
04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I say we draft that qb from Stanford... He looks really good.

Fritz88
04-22-2012, 01:43 PM
If this happens...

Predarat
04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
This place hasn't crashed in awhile, hell I forgot the URL of the alternate Chiefs Planet.

Predarat
04-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Here it is, it is still up and running!

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Downtime_CP/index.php?

Ultra Peanut
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I hope the Chiefs draft Poe and everyone freaks out and then he becomes a Hall of Famer and Memphis wins a bunch of national championships in football ok bye

Titty Meat
04-22-2012, 04:09 PM
What would you call the Daboll hiring?

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
We haven't had a good ol' fashioned CP freakout in a while.

Peyton Manning signing with the Bronco's qualifies.

ChiefMojo
04-22-2012, 05:23 PM
The only 1st round prospect I would freak out about getting is Dontari Poe. I would be fine with Tannehill, would be happy with either DeCastro/Kuechly, would be pleased with Barron, wouldn't mind Brockers/Hightower on a trade down, would be more than pleased if Cox was the pick, etc.

Poe = Sims

AustinChief
04-22-2012, 05:26 PM
AustinChief LOOOOOVES this thread.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am actually more in favor fo a trade down... BUT if the "sources" are correct, then it just proves what I have been saying. YOU overrate Albert (he is slightly above average... not top 10) and we aren't going to pay him big money, so we may need to start looking for other options now since we will need to use our top pick on QB next year.

BUT, we have bigger needs, so I'd rather see a trade down instead. The #11 pick is extremely valuable because of the new contract structure. I'd be amazed if we can't find some great value in a trade down.

whoman69
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
The only 1st round prospect I would freak out about getting is Dontari Poe. I would be fine with Tannehill, would be happy with either DeCastro/Kuechly, would be pleased with Barron, wouldn't mind Brockers/Hightower on a trade down, would be more than pleased if Cox was the pick, etc.

Poe = Sims

I'd have to agree on Poe. His downside hits me more than his upside. I would also have to say I wouldn't be that happy with a Brockers depth pick, especially since we drafted Jackson and Dorsey within the last 4 years. I will probably temporarily go ballistic if we trade up for Tannehill, but eventually I will understand it.

milkman
04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I have pretty much come to accept the fact that it is a near certainty that I'm not going like the pick, and won't melt down when it happens.

I will call you dumbasses out for dumbassery until that time, however.

O.city
04-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Are you thinking it's gonna be DeCastro Milkman?

milkman
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Are you thinking it's gonna be DeCastro Milkman?

I'm thinking, since there's only a couple of guys that I would take with that pick, it's almost a certainty that Pioli will not pick one of them.

04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am actually more in favor fo a trade down... BUT if the "sources" are correct, then it just proves what I have been saying. YOU overrate Albert (he is slightly above average... not top 10) and we aren't going to pay him big money, so we may need to start looking for other options now since we will need to use our top pick on QB next year.

BUT, we have bigger needs, so I'd rather see a trade down instead. The #11 pick is extremely valuable because of the new contract structure. I'd be amazed if we can't find some great value in a trade down.

They need but they won't.

Okie_Apparition
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic2LzFyBylM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic2LzFyBylM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Frosty
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
I would hope that if the Chiefs trade up to #3 (I'm not advocating it, BTW), it would be for Richardson, not a LT.

notorious
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
The meltdown will occur Thursday night.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I have pretty much come to accept the fact that it is a near certainty that I'm not going like the pick, and won't melt down when it happens.

I will call you dumbasses out for dumbassery until that time, however.

here's a guy who has his schit together...

Titty Meat
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
here's a guy who has his schit together...

Filter evasion

qabbaan
04-23-2012, 07:35 PM
If we trade down we should trade all the way out of the first round, accumulate a first and change next year, so we can move up for our QB

keg in kc
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
If we trade down we should trade all the way out of the first round, accumulate a first and change next year, so we can move up for our QBThat is exactly what I hope they do, with every ounce of my being.

Easy 6
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I will literally **** a chicken, record it & show it here if we actually take a tackle.

This is article is some of the, or maybe the worst guessing i've seen this year.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2012, 07:44 PM
kalil is a safe pick, no doubt about it. He's an immediate starter and a huge upgrade. That being said, I seriously doubt Pioli trades UP for the guy...

milkman
04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Filter evasion

You don't know shit.

Titty Meat
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
You don't know shit.

I'm a mod

milkman
04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm a mod

I'm a dick.

What's your point?

Simply Red
04-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Peyton Manning

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2012, 02:13 AM
I hope the Chiefs draft Poe and everyone freaks out and then he becomes a Hall of Famer and Memphis wins a bunch of national championships in football ok bye

STEPS ONE AND TWO: COMPLETE
STEPS THREE AND FOUR: IMMINENT

Titty Meat
04-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Drafting Poe should qualify.

TimeForWasp
04-27-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm a mod

It looks like Poe is gonna lay a kiss on Goodell in your avi.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Drafting Poe should qualify.

OMG WE COULDA HAD DE CASTRO!!!!!!!!!