PDA

View Full Version : WhyTF: Dolphins Interested in moving up in the 1st

Okie_Apparition
04-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Dolphins | Interested in moving up in draft
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:59:58 -0700

The Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in trading up in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1snYpSOVS

BigMeatballDave
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Tannehill

Okie_Apparition
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't follow them except for their newsworthy fuckups
Couldn't they use about anybody at #8

whoman69
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Sounds like they bought into the hype that Cleveland might be interested or that someone will move in front of them.

O.city
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
It's either a play to gauge other teams thinking about trading up in front of them, or they are really wanting to move up.

RealSNR
04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Cleveland would essentially be trading out of the spot guaranteeing them first dibs on the draft's Tier 2 players (Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne)

A lot of teams could be fighting to trade into the Rams' or Jaguars' spot for a shot at any two of those players. Assuming the draft goes this way:

1. Luck
2. RGIII
3. Kalil
4. Tannehill
5. Richardson/Blackmon/Claiborne
6. Richardson/Blackmon/Claiborne
7. Richardson/Blackmon/Claiborne

Who's left at #8 worthwhile for Cleveland to draft? Draft Fletcher Cox to play 3-4 DE? Settle for Floyd when you could have had Blackmon? Ingram? I mean, Ingram is the most likely pick there I guess. The trade off of Ingram + picks vs Richardson or Blackmon almost isn't worth it, in my opinion.

Chiefshrink
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
It's either a play to gauge other teams thinking about trading up in front of them, or they are really wanting to move up.

This.

But hell they should just call the Vikes who said they would be open to trading down for the right price. And there is the 'rub' the right price.

Reaper16
04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Cleveland would essentially be trading out of the spot guaranteeing them first dibs on the draft's Tier 2 players (Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne)

Tier 2 players? How in the world can Richardson and Claiborne be considered Tier 2? They're the best non-QB prospects in the whole draft.

RealSNR
04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Tier 2 players? How in the world can Richardson and Claiborne be considered Tier 2? They're the best non-QB prospects in the whole draft.
Tier 1- Luck, RGIII, Kalil
Tier 2- Richardson, Claiborne, Blackmon
Tier 3- Cox, Kuechly, Ingram... Floyd?
Tier 4- Tannehill, Reiff, yadda yadda

That's what I meant anyway. Call it Tier 1 or Tier 2. Either way, those three players are at a level above the rest of the draft. I think we can all agree on that.

Chiefshrink
04-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Kalil is not Tier 1 compared to other LTs taken in the last 10 yrs. He may be the top LT this yr but the overall grade for LT's this yr is a C grade IMO.

Chiefshrink
04-22-2012, 02:33 PM

That's what I meant anyway. Call it Tier 1 or Tier 2. Either way, those three players are at a level above the rest of the draft. I think we can all agree on that.

Compared to other players taken at their position in the last 10yrs.

Tier 1 - Luck,Richardson,Claiborne - A grade
Tier 2 - RGIII,Blackmon - B+ grade
Tier 3 - Kuechly,Cox,Ingram - B- minus
Tier 4 - Tannehill, Reiff,Kalil,Floyd - C grade

Reaper16
04-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Yes, we can agree that your Tier 2 players are above everyone that isn't Luck and RGIII. I think that Kalil is a slightly lesser prospect than Richardson and Claiborne, but that's just me and it's probably influenced by being able to see Richardson and Claiborne in person. For their positions, I think Richardson and Claiborne are better prospects than RGIII, but the value of the QB position elevates Griffin.

RealSNR
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Kalil is not Tier 1 compared to other LTs taken in the last 10 yrs. He may be the top LT this yr but the overall grade for LT's this yr is a C grade IMO.As a prospect, Kalil is the best LT the NFL draft has seen since Joe Thomas in 2007. He's not a once-in-a-decade kind of guy, but apparently he's a once-in-5-years guy, which is still pretty damn good.

Top 2 tackles taken in the first round each year:

2011: Tyron Smith, Nate Solder
2010: Trent Williams, Russell Okung
2009: Jason Smith, Andre Smith
2008: Jake Long, Ryan Clady
2007: Joe Thomas, Levi Brown

And yes, Jake Long went #1 overall in 2008. I remember. It's not my fault the Dolphins were idiots for taking him that high. He's a fantastic player now, yes, but he had hangups as a prospect that had many people questioning him going #1 overall (which they were right to do).

Given what we knew about all of those players leading up to the draft in each respective year, I would take Kalil over all of them besides Joe Thomas.

Saccopoo
04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
For a zone system, Kalil would be absolute balls out.

The guy is athletic as hell and can really pass protect. His footwork is superb and he comes out of his stance very quickly. He's a destroyer out in space.

If they want to go up and get Kalil at #4, I've got no problem with it.

O.city
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm guess this would signal the movement of Albert to guard?

BigMeatballDave
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
For a zone system, Kalil would be absolute balls out.

The guy is athletic as hell and can really pass protect. His footwork is superb and he comes out of his stance very quickly. He's a destroyer out in space.

If they want to go up and get Kalil at #4, I've got no problem with it.

Shocker!

ROFL

Mr. Laz
04-22-2012, 03:35 PM
trading up in the 1st round or trading BACK into the 1st round?

i wonder if Miami might want to trade back into 1st round and have 2 1st round selections.

try and get 2 out of the 3 needs (QB,WR,RT)

:shrug:

O.city
04-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I would really like to trade back and get picks, maybe even a first rounder for this year.

We need a qb, outside of that we don't really need stars per say, we need depth and solid role guys.

RealSNR
04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
The Vikings do a more straight-forward, aggressive blocking scheme. They switched to it from zone in 2011.

Kalil will do just fine in it. It's not the zone, which is his strength. But he'll be a very good player.

It would be interesting to see if the Vikings go back to the zone in a season or two. They just signed Geoff Schwartz, and all their personnel is far more suited for zone than this power blocking stuff. They should have done it in reverse- run power-block when they had McKinnie and Loadholt and switched it up when they were trying to get younger.

DTLB58
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm guess this would signal the movement of Albert to guard?

I don't think Pioli was fibing at the pre-draft presser.

Some guy asked this very question during the Chiefs pre-draft press conference about taking one of the tackles in the first round (Reiff was the guy) and then moving Albert over to guard. Pioli gave him an "are you ****ing stupid?" look and said, "No, Brandon Albert is a left tackle. He's our left tackle and a damn good player" and left it at that.

I know Pioli says lots of shit to conceal his true intentions, but this seemed actually pretty convincing to me. The look on his face was genuinely, "That's the dumbest ****ing idea I've ever heard"

milkman
04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Compared to other players taken at their position in the last 10yrs.

Tier 1 - Luck,Richardson,Claiborne - A grade
Tier 2 - RGIII,Blackmon - B+ grade
Tier 3 - Kuechly,Cox,Ingram - B- minus
Tier 4 - Tannehill, Reiff,Kalil,Floyd - C grade

Jesus!

Do you have a special formula you use to get this stupid?