Jonathan Martin
OT
Stanford

jwazzie
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes please.

KevB
Barron getting a ton of hype right now, so obviously Mayock went BPA in his opinion. That would give us an amazing pair of safeties, and would provide depth at a position where we've had no depth for a while.

I'm actually hoping that all the Barron hype allows us to trade down.

YayMike
well shit...I think I'd rather have Mercilus if it goes this way.

BigCatDaddy
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
The next Bernard Pollard!

ChiefMojo
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Remember we were in Dime 55% of the time last season and it may go up with the addition of Peyton Manning in the division. In Dime, you play Berry, Barron and Lewis at the same time. So when we are in Base, you have Berry at FS and Barron at SS. As we have seen, Lewis would still play a LOT of snaps due to Dime. Also we have seen what a devastating injury could do to a unit and adding more quality depth at the safety position covers KC's backside.

I've thought DeCastro and Kuechly for a long time but once you step back and look how much we have been in Dime, Barron makes a lot of sense.

Jerm
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Barron and Berry at the Safety position? Pfffft our D would be beyond ridiculous.

I really think we're gonna go BPA and if Barron is there, I can see us taking him.

Having said that, I don't know if he'll last to #11.

ChiefMojo
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-final-word-on-Mark-Barron.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Very interesting!!!

ModSocks
04-25-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-final-word-on-Mark-Barron.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Very interesting!!!

VERY interdasting.

The Chiefs use 3 safties quite a bit so it makes sense.

Direckshun
04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I got a tingly in my bum.

the Talking Can
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Very interesting!!!

Whenever I hear things that I feel are wrong I always go back to the tape to see if I was in fact right about my opinion. You know the old saying “the eye in the sky don’t lie.” In this case I still had 4 tapes of Alabama's defense to refer to.

One of the tapes was the TV version of the national championship game so I didn’t watch that…the reason being you can’t always see alignments on TV tape. I did have the “coaches” tape of the games against Mississippi, Tennessee and the first LSU game. In those 3 games Barron did not play as a “box safety” more than a few (less than 6) plays. In their base defense he lined up at either free or strong depending on the offensive alignment. In the Tennessee game for instance he was at free safety 17 plays. Where people could get the misconception that he plays in the box is that in some of Alabama’s sub packages Alabama brings in a third safety and moves Barron to linebacker as a nickel linebacker. He is not used in a box safety role. When he is at that nickel linebacker position he will sometimes blitz, sometimes have the TE in man to man coverage or he can be walked off and play man on a slot. I have also seen him have a back in man coverage when at linebacker.

There are other packages where he is also man up on a slot or if they are against trips to one side the inside slot. While he does not have corner cover skills he is a good man to man cover guy showing good hips and a burst. His mirror skills and ball reactions are very good. When playing deep as a free he has range to the sideline and again very good ball awareness.

The thing that stands out about Barron is that he was obviously the quarterback of the Alabama defense and his instincts and overall ability are so good that they trusted him in a variety of roles. There is no doubt that he is one of the more versatile safeties in this draft and for people to say he is just a box safety is wrong.

nice

The Poz
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM
For the most part I was hoping we'd just take a flier on a someone like Janzen Jackson in the later rounds but the more I read about Barron the more it would make sense as a 1dt rounder. Still not fully sold as guys like Gilmore are still on the board but hell, just looking forward to training camp regardless who it is.

The Franchise
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Who did Mayock have us picking in his mock last year?

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏ @cecillammey
Retweet
Favorite
· Open
File this under #dontbesurprised if #chiefs trade up for Matt Kalil, heard they have strong interest #NFLDraft

The Poz
04-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Danny Watkins OL Baylor

eazyb81
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Awful.

But I bet we would win the award for most expensive safety duo in history. So there's that.

eazyb81
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Very interesting!!!

Sounds like what Thomas Davis was supposed to be.

Quesadilla Joe
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Here is Mayock's mock from last year

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244438&highlight=mayock

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't really remember seeing anyone having us taking Baldwin last year.

BossChief
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Immediate starter and impact player.

One of the safest players and has pro bowl potential

The Rick
04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏ @cecillammey
Retweet
Favorite
· Open
File this under #dontbesurprised if #chiefs trade up for Matt Kalil, heard they have strong interest #NFLDraft
ROFL

I can see it now. Chiefs trade up to #3 or #7 and everyone on CP thinks we're taking Tannehill, then...BOOM!...we take Kalil instead. This place might suffer a meltdown.

BossChief
04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Whenever I hear things that I feel are wrong I always go back to the tape to see if I was in fact right about my opinion. You know the old saying “the eye in the sky don’t lie.” In this case I still had 4 tapes of Alabama's defense to refer to.

One of the tapes was the TV version of the national championship game so I didn’t watch that…the reason being you can’t always see alignments on TV tape. I did have the “coaches” tape of the games against Mississippi, Tennessee and the first LSU game. In those 3 games Barron did not play as a “box safety” more than a few (less than 6) plays. In their base defense he lined up at either free or strong depending on the offensive alignment. In the Tennessee game for instance he was at free safety 17 plays. Where people could get the misconception that he plays in the box is that in some of Alabama’s sub packages Alabama brings in a third safety and moves Barron to linebacker as a nickel linebacker. He is not used in a box safety role. When he is at that nickel linebacker position he will sometimes blitz, sometimes have the TE in man to man coverage or he can be walked off and play man on a slot. I have also seen him have a back in man coverage when at linebacker.

There are other packages where he is also man up on a slot or if they are against trips to one side the inside slot. While he does not have corner cover skills he is a good man to man cover guy showing good hips and a burst. His mirror skills and ball reactions are very good. When playing deep as a free he has range to the sideline and again very good ball awareness.

The thing that stands out about Barron is that he was obviously the quarterback of the Alabama defense and his instincts and overall ability are so good that they trusted him in a variety of roles. There is no doubt that he is one of the more versatile safeties in this draft and for people to say he is just a box safety is wrong.

****I have been saying all of this for months now.

I swear I didn't write that article, though.

Nightfyre
04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
If I was the Chiefs and I wanted to trade up for Tannehill, and there were rumors that I wanted to trade up, I would definitely try to put out bad intel about trying to get Kalil.

The Bad Guy
04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Kalil wouldn't bother me. Barron wouldn't bother me. Brockers would bother the fuck out of me.

BossChief
04-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Use the advanced search function and search Baldwin with my username.

I called him as our pick probably 30 times.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Use the advanced search function and search Baldwin with my username.

I called him as our pick probably 30 times.

Well, I was talking about the "experts" on TV.

mikey23545
04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Then Chapman in the fourth.

Good D.

BryanBusby
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM

A lot of people were thinking that Baldwin could possibly be the selection.

Well, I was talking about the "experts" on TV.

TV "experts" usually make the worst mocks, so who cares?

Dmello12
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
only thing i dont like is that Mercillus and Miller would be on the same team
:banghead:

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
TV "experts" usually make the worst mocks, so who cares?

Well, that was partially my point.

Mecca
04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
For the most part I was hoping we'd just take a flier on a someone like Janzen Jackson in the later rounds but the more I read about Barron the more it would make sense as a 1dt rounder. Still not fully sold as guys like Gilmore are still on the board but hell, just looking forward to training camp regardless who it is.

Janzen Jackson? The guy who has more character flags than Janoris Jenkins?

gonefishin53
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
The talk this afternoon on NFL network was about the cowboys, eagles, and jets wanting to trade up for Barron. Looks like Pioli is setting up for a trade down, probably to the jets for an extra third rounder. Their GM has a history of trading up in the first. Two high firsts for the safety position just doesn't fit Pioli's position value profile, IMO.

Dayze
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Kalil wouldn't bother me. Barron wouldn't bother me. Brockers would bother the **** out of me.

I'd shit in Piolis driver seat of his car if Brockers was the pick. And I'd get a good one brewing. Like maybe a case of natty light, some chipotle, and hot pockets the night before

The Poz
04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Janzen Jackson? The guy who has more character flags than Janoris Jenkins?

I honestly don't watch a ton of College ball but I've read that in his time at Tennessee he was being thought of as a potential 1st rounder then of course the arrest (which was dropped) and the change of schools and that screwed his future. Doesn't mean his talent isn't there and these kids deserve a second chance.

BossChief
04-25-2012, 08:54 PM
I honestly don't watch a ton of College ball but I've read that in his time at Tennessee he was being thought of as a potential 1st rounder then of course the arrest (which was dropped) and the change of schools and that screwed his future. Doesn't mean his talent isn't there and these kids deserve a second chance.

A school kicking a kid out that has that kind of talent is always after lots and lots of chances and instances that have been swept under the rug.

The part you have to try and evaluate is if the guy is just flat dumb and will continue to make bad choices once you invest in him or if he is smart but immature.

Chris Carter had his problems and turned himself around, grew up and made a HOF career out of it.

He is in the minority.

The Poz
04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
A school kicking a kid out that has that kind of talent is always after lots and lots of chances and instances that have been swept under the rug.

The part you have to try and evaluate is if the guy is just flat dumb and will continue to make bad choices once you invest in him or if he is smart but immature.

Chris Carter had his problems and turned himself around, grew up and made a HOF career out of it.

He is in the minority.

Fully agree and that's certainly hard to ignore.
My thought was that if we didn't go Safety early on with the idea Lewis and McCarthy manning the FS position then why not take a 6th or 7th round flier on him.
If he remains as much of a f*ck up as he was in Tennessee then cut your losses but it doesn't look too bad 'cause it was a late round pick. If he's humbled by being in the presence of a respected coach like Romeo and the rest of the team then turns into something special then you look brilliant.

ILChief
04-26-2012, 06:13 AM

He is in the minority.

Carter didnt turn it around with the team that drafted him

tyton75
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
The only pick I totally DO NOT want.. is Poe

milkman
04-26-2012, 10:44 AM

My #11 draft hate list, from 3 to 1.

3.DeCastro
2.Poe
1.Kuechly

RealSNR
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't really remember seeing anyone having us taking Baldwin last year.If they did their reporting, they should have known. Pioli said, "This is the guy we wanted all along"

ModSocks
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
My #11 draft hate list, from 3 to 1.

3.DeCastro
2.Poe
1.Kuechly

So two of those players are considered to be the absolute best at their position and both are positions that can be upgraded on our roster, yet you'd hate them both.

Makes no sense to me.

milkman
04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
So two of those players are considered to be the absolute best at their position and both are positions that can be upgraded on our roster, yet you'd hate them both.

Makes no sense to me.

The draft is littered with quality guard prospects, and you simply do not use a premium pick on guard, a position of low impact.

Luke Kuechly is not an upgrade of Jovan Belcher.

He's more athletic, and better in coverage, but at that spot, you need a guy that is willing to throw himself with wreckless abandonment into lead blockers, and Luke Kuechly is not that guy.

If you tell me Hightower is an upgrade, I'd entertain that argument.

ModSocks
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
The draft is littered with quality guard prospects, and you simply do not use a premium pick on guard, a position of low impact.

Luke Kuechly is not an upgrade of Jovan Belcher.

He's more athletic, and better in coverage, but at that spot, you need a guy that is willing to throw himself with wreckless abandonment into lead blockers, and Luke Kuechly is not that guy.

If you tell me Hightower is an upgrade, I'd entertain that argument.

I think you're painting Kuechly into a box and attacking his physicality when nearly every other draft pundit is saying that his toughness is not an issue.

Jovan Belcher: 6-2" 228 lbs

Luke Kuechly: 6-3" 242 lbs

So Kuechly is bigger, stronger, faster, a sound tackler and by all accounts, a smart instinctive player with above average cover skills for a LB and is widely considered to be one of the top LB's to come out in quite a while.

Yet many on CP dont want him because despite all that, they think he isn't tough enough to be successful in our scheme because they think he won't put his nose in the dirt and attack the LoS.

Sorry, i just can't buy it.

If the Chiefs do in fact pick him, i can't fathom why anyone would be upset with this.

milkman
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I think you're painting Kuechly into a box and attacking his physicality when nearly every other draft pundit is saying that his toughness is not an issue.

Jovan Belcher: 6-2" 228 lbs

Luke Kuechly: 6-3" 242 lbs

So Kuechly is bigger, stronger, faster, a sound tackler and by all accounts, a smart instinctive player with above average cover skills for a LB and is widely considered to be one of the top LB's to come out in quite a while.

Yet many on CP dont want him because despite all that, they think he isn't tough enough to be successful in our scheme because they think he won't put his nose in the dirt and attack the LoS.

Sorry, i just can't buy it.

If the Chiefs do in fact pick him, i can't fathom why anyone would be upset with this.

The fact is that he hasn't displayed that physicality.

He has an ability to shed blocks, and the athleticism and quicks ot run around blocks, but he hasn't shown that he has the mentality to throw his body into blockers with the same kind of abandonment that Belcher (and Hightower) does, and it takes a certain mentality to do that.

DJ's ascent coincides with Belcher's, and I don't believe that to be totally coincidental at all.

It's the same type argument that we had about Aaron Curry.

He could do, according to his supporters, what he never showed he could do, he just wasn't asked to do it.

I am not drafting Kuechly hoping he can do something he's never done.

I believe the reson guys aren't asked to do something is because they can't.

whoman69
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Carter didnt turn it around with the team that drafted him

He had a coach that belittled him at every step. Do you remember the "All he does is catch touchdowns" quote. That was not meant as a good thing.

bsp4444
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Tannehill would be my "Do Not Want" candidate.