PDA

View Full Version : Football BCS takes big step toward college football playoff

Stewie
04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) — College football is on the verge of finally having a playoff, its own version of the final four.

For the first time, all the power brokers who run the highest level of the sport are comfortable with the idea of deciding a championship the way it's done in just about every other sport.

"Yes, we've agreed to use the P word," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said.

They want to limit it to four teams. That's for sure. Now they just have to figure out how to pick the teams, where and when to play the games and what to do with the bowls. The new format would go into effect after for the 2014 season.

As for the current Bowl Championship Series, it's on life support. Any chance that it survives past the next two seasons? "I hope not," Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive said Thursday.

"This is a seismic change for college football," BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock said after the 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director wrapped up three days of meetings at a beachside hotel in south Florida.

http://news.yahoo.com/bcs-takes-big-step-toward-college-football-playoff-202501996--spt.html

Dave Lane
04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Holy shit this is great news

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Fuck yeah!

DA weeps...

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
It's about time...good grief. These stupid bowl games even the 'title' game, started losing money. They had to face reality.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Re-post.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258889

Fuck yeah!

DA weeps...

Oh, and I don't weep. I've said all along that, while the current system works, I would be ok with (at most) a 4 team playoff.

cdcox
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I feel like we just invented the warp drive.

Bambi
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
It's about time...good grief. These stupid bowl games even the 'title' game, started losing money. They had to face reality.

Yep, the college football ratings continue to slide while college basketball is shooting up.

Something needed to be done.

Stewie
04-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Re-post.

Oh, and I don't weep. I've said all along that, while the current system works, I would be ok with (at most) a 4 team playoff.

Huge response to that thread. :p

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Huge response to that thread. :p

People were too busy jacking off to the draft and then removing splooge-created, racist blackheads :shrug:

Bambi
04-26-2012, 04:46 PM
People were too busy jacking off to the draft and then removing splooge-created, racist blackheads :shrug:

lol, I didn't even know the draft was tonight until this morning. The draft is so dumb...

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Re-post.

Somebody whose team has won the BCS championship twice in the last six years thinks the BCS works?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm2lufG9371qii6tmo1_500.gif

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
lol, I didn't even know the draft was tonight until this morning. The draft is so dumb...

I didn't even know how to jack off until this morning.

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
It sounds great in theory but in reality it will just create new options to bitch about.

How do you pick the 4 teams? Some form of BCS ranking? An unbiased committee like the NCAA basketball tournament?

Should it be all wild cards, limited to conference champions, or a combination?

Neutral site or home-field playoff games?

If neutral, who the hell is going to pay to travel to a semifinal game if their team has a chance to make the natty?

I know it's blasphemy, but I don't think the current system is broken. It is simple and we virtually always get the two best teams in the championship game.

LiveSteam
04-26-2012, 04:55 PM
virtually always get the two best teams in the championship game.

That's a load of crap & you know it. :spock:

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Somebody whose team has won the BCS championship twice in the last six years thinks the BCS works?

The best team has won the Championship since the creation of the BCS NC Game.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
It sounds great in theory but in reality it will just create new options to bitch about.

How do you pick the 4 teams? Some form of BCS ranking? An unbiased committee like the NCAA basketball tournament?

If neutral, who the hell is going to pay to travel to a semifinal game if their team has a chance to make the natty?

Which is why I am generally against a playoff, especially more than a 4 team playoff. The NCAA tournament, while exciting, is a joke. They keep expanding the number of teams well beyond the necessary, deserving number of teams. Often, this year being an exception, the best team does not win.

Could you imagine a team who went 0.500 in conference play having not only the opportunity, but winning a BCS "playoff"?

cdcox
04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
The best team has won the Championship since the creation of the BCS NC Game.

That would be statistically improbable. In the NFL, I and others have estimated that the "best" team wins the SB in about 25% of seasons.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 05:01 PM
That would be statistically improbable. In the NFL, I and others have estimated that the "best" team wins the SB in about 25% of seasons.

You realize the NFL and college football are completely different animals, no?

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 05:01 PM

I know it's blasphemy, but I don't think the current system is broken. It is simple and we virtually always get the two best teams in the championship game.

If the major conferences re-align into 4 super conferences, the answer is simple...the 4 conference champions go into the playoff. If the conferences do not re-align, there will be a point where all conference champions will move into the playoff, but that would take time.

As for the current system, it is broken, people were not buying tickets to the game, and schools were losing money because they were forced to buy tickets...pretty simple.

cdcox
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
You realize the NFL and college football are completely different animals, no?

Yes, in college, the whole regular season is sort of like the playoffs. It is still a limited sample size in terms of number of games played in order to sort out the absolute best team.

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
That's a load of crap & you know it. :spock:

Give some specific examples of when the system failed.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
DA and Easy's vaginas are showing.

And they're bleeding.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
DA and Easy's vaginas are showing.

And they're bleeding.

Nah, that's just blood from ohio state getting raped again.

Bearcat
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM

I don't think it needs to be complicated... use the current rankings, pick the top 4, and decide if there should be a home field advantage or if they should just use the current bowls.

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 05:06 PM
If the major conferences re-align into 4 super conferences, the answer is simple...the 4 conference champions go into the playoff. If the conferences do not re-align, there will be a point where all conference champions will move into the playoff, but that would take time.

Seems like this theory is built on future realignment. Why don't we wait until that happens before we structure a playoff system that was supposedly fit it.

As for the current system, it is broken, people were not buying tickets to the game, and schools were losing money because they were forced to buy tickets...pretty simple.

Are you referring to this last game or something else? College football is more popular than ever. Why else do you think television networks are falling over themselves to throw hundred of millions at conference to televise their games?

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't think it needs to be complicated... use the current rankings, pick the top 4, and decide if there should be a home field advantage or if they should just use the current bowls.

So if this system was in place last year, #4 Stanford gets in and #5 Oregon is left out, even though they both had the exact same record. How does this solve the problem everyone is bitching about?

Bearcat
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Which is why I am generally against a playoff, especially more than a 4 team playoff. The NCAA tournament, while exciting, is a joke. They keep expanding the number of teams well beyond the necessary, deserving number of teams. Often, this year being an exception, the best team does not win.

Could you imagine a team who went 0.500 in conference play having not only the opportunity, but winning a BCS "playoff"?

If CFB one day has 20% of schools participate in the playoffs, like CBB does now, then I'll be concerned. But, I don't think the fear of the NCAA screwing up a good thing shoul-...

Oh crap.

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Seems like this theory is built on future realignment. Why don't we wait until that happens before we structure a playoff system that was supposedly fit it.

Fix the obvious problem first, worry about who plays later.

Are you referring to this last game or something else? College football is more popular than ever. Why else do you think television networks are falling over themselves to throw hundred of millions at conference to televise their games?

There are numerous articles on the internet about BCS attendance slipping...I'll provide one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16975644/slipping-bowl-attendance-has-bcs-scrambling-for-reasons-fixes

Schools are forced to buy tickets and have been having trouble selling them to their students and wound up eating thousands of tickets.

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
There are numerous articles on the internet about BCS attendance slipping...I'll provide one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16975644/slipping-bowl-attendance-has-bcs-scrambling-for-reasons-fixes

Schools are forced to buy tickets and have been having trouble selling them to their students and wound up eating thousands of tickets.

Totally agree with this, but why do you think this will change when even more money is at stake in a playoff system?

Schools will still have ticket quotas they have to hit. Playoff tickets will likely be more overpriced than ever.

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Totally agree with this, but why do you think this will change when even more money is at stake in a playoff system?

Schools will still have ticket quotas they have to hit. Playoff tickets will likely be more overpriced than ever.

Because they are playoff games and not exhibition games. Playoff games are and will always be more in demand than games that have no meaning.

Bearcat
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
So if this system was in place last year, #4 Stanford gets in and #5 Oregon is left out, even though they both had the exact same record. How does this solve the problem everyone is bitching about?

Oregon and Stanford didn't have the same record... Stanford went 11-1 and Oregon went 11-2.

But, for the years when that might be true, it's like any other playoff system... people will always argue about the last in/out, so saying people will always argue isn't a good reason to not have a playoff at all. Also, #4 and #5 will usually have less of an argument for being included than #2 and #3. There's no perfect number, but there usually are more than two teams that deserve to play for the NC. I'd personally like to see 8 teams in, but even then you get into 2-loss teams and perhaps that slippery slope.

eazyb81
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Because they are playoff games and not exhibition games. Playoff games are and will always be more in demand than games that have no meaning.

Schools will still have massive ticket quotas of overpriced tickets that they have to fill, and everyone will hold out for the national championship game instead of spend a few grand just on a semifinal game.

The playoff system doesn't solve overpriced tickets and greedy bowl/semifinal game executives.

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Schools will still have massive ticket quotas of overpriced tickets that they have to fill, and everyone will hold out for the national championship game instead of spend a few grand just on a semifinal game.

The playoff system doesn't solve overpriced tickets and greedy bowl/semifinal game executives.

Yes, it does. Everyone including BCS officials agree the status quo is a failure. Playoff tickets will sell.

HemiEd
04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Yep, the college football ratings continue to slide while college basketball is shooting up.

Something needed to be done.

You must be on crack, College BB is irrelevant and SEC football is all that matters.

Setsuna
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
You'll just now have 2 SEC teams in the Championship game every year. Which I'm ok with. Don't cry when it happens.

Dave Lane
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Re-post.

The current system sucks donkey balls

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
You'll just now have 2 SEC teams in the Championship game every year. Which I'm ok with. Don't cry when it happens.

Maybe....maybe not. At least it will be done on the field and not via press box writers and computers.

Setsuna
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Maybe....maybe not. At least it will be done on the field and not via press box writers and computers.

You're right. That is refreshing. :)

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
How the fuck can anyone with functioning brain cells argue against a play off?

Go watch fucking womens soccer.

KCTitus
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
How the **** can anyone with functioning brain cells argue against a play off?

Go watch ****ing womens soccer.

Even womens soccer has playoffs. The only sports that dont have playoffs are YMCA pee wee soccer. They dont keep score either.

mlyonsd
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Updated: June 21, 11:03 AM ET
Consensus reached on playoff

CHICAGO -- The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season.

The commissioners' consensus must be approved by the BCS presidential oversight committee, which meets June 26 in Washington, D.C. If approved, the four-team playoff would replace the current BCS system, which has been in place since 1998.

Sources told ESPN.com that under the recommended model, four participating teams would be selected by a committee, which would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule.

The two national semifinal games would be played within the existing BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar) on a rotating basis, with the host sites being predetermined before each season. The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

"We're very unified," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress."

<!-- begin inline 2 -->
“ We're very unified. There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress.
” <CITE>-- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany</CITE>
<!-- end inline 2 -->
Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott said the recommendation was the product of a lot of negotiating and cooperation among the commissioners.

"I'm sure it won't satisfy everyone," Scott said. "Until you have an eight-team or 16-team seeded playoff, there will be folks out there that aren't completely satisfied. We get that. But we're trying to balance other important parties, like the value of the regular season, the bowls, the academic calendar."

The BCS commissioners have met five times since the national title game in New Orleans, including a four-hour session Wednesday. SEC commissioner Mike Slive, who likened the process to a marathon, said, "My hope is we've done 26 [miles]. My hope is we have .2 to go."

The presidential oversight committee, which includes a representative from each of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame, still is expected to discuss multiple models next week, including a plus-one format proposed by presidents from the Big Ten and Pac 12.

"The fact that there will be a full and complete discussion is totally appropriate," Slive said. "Obviously, we have put forth a consensus four-team playoff model, and we wouldn't do that if we didn't feel it was appropriate."

<!-- begin inline 3 -->
“ Until you have an eight-team or 16-team seeded playoff, there will be folks out there that aren't completely satisfied. We get that. But we're trying to balance other important parties, like the value of the regular season, the bowls, the academic calendar.
” <CITE>-- Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott</CITE>
<!-- end inline 3 -->
The presidents' committee could either approve the recommended four-team model or direct the commissioners to work out its remaining details.

"I'm sure all of the I's and T's won't be crossed and dotted," Scott said. "The presidents just have to decide whether they want to go in this particular direction that we're coming out with. Every other detail, I feel comfortable can be worked out."

ACC commissioner John Swofford said the commissioners have agreed on the principles of how the increased TV revenue will be distributed among the participating conferences. Industry sources have indicated a four-team playoff might be worth as much as $400 million to $500 million annually.

"We've agreed to the principles," Swofford said. "It's hard to move past the principles if you don't know what the market value is. Everyone agrees that financially this is going to be good for everyone in the room."

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=8078786&type=story

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Awesome.

DA and BWillie's vaginas bleed...

The Franchise
06-21-2012, 01:24 PM
4 Super-conferences?

mr. tegu
06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
4 Super-conferences?

Actually wouldn't be necessary if the selection committee is not completely biased to BCS schools. Unless the teams have to be a BCS school to be selected which I might have missed. Otherwise a team like Boise St. might finally be better off in their conference as long as they go undefeated with one or two really good wins.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Awesome.

DA and BWillie's vaginas bleed...

How so? I've always stated that I'd be fine with a plus-1 or 4-team format. However, any more than 4 teams is unnecessary and stupid.

With a selection committee and not an automatic conference champion berth for teams in garbage conferences who play weak competition, the SEC should remain dominant over the lesser conferences.

mr. tegu
06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
The two national semifinal games would be played within the existing BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar) on a rotating basis, with the host sites being predetermined before each season. The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

We all knew the BCS system was all about money. I wonder how much it will take to win that auction. At least they finally figured out how to make the fans happy AND generate even more money for college football.

Chiefnj2
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
How so? I've always stated that I'd be fine with a plus-1 or 4-team format. However, any more than 4 teams is unnecessary and stupid.

With a selection committee and not an automatic conference champion berth for teams in garbage conferences who play weak competition, the SEC should remain dominant over the lesser conferences.

How do you expect Florida to ever make it in if only 4 teams are involved?

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

HA HA! I knew that would draw you out. :D

Saul Good
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Why would eight be stupid? Four mega-conference champs plus four at-large teams sounds pretty good to me.

The Franchise
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Why would eight be stupid? Four mega-conference champs plus four at-large teams sounds pretty good to me.

This.

Bearcat
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I've always thought 8 would be perfect, because for the most part it catches all of the 1-loss teams and at worst it would catch one or two 2-loss teams.

I'm happy with 4 though... I would have been happy with any kind of progress. I thought they would just use the BCS rankings to determine the teams... but, I'm sure that was a big part of the agreement. Using a committee is helpful when you have cities bidding on the NC game.

vailpass
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
This morning on DP show they were saying they thought there could have been home games awarded for the semi-finals if the B1G and PAC weren't lobbying so hard for bowl involvement.
I'm pissed. That was what I was asking for all along, the semi-finals be played on campus.

mlyonsd
06-21-2012, 02:13 PM
I think this will turn out to be such a success (money) it won't take long to expand it to 8 teams.

Baby steps.

Thig Lyfe
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Neat.

Chiefnj2
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I think this will turn out to be such a success (money) it won't take long to expand it to 8 teams.

Baby steps.

If there is money to be made it will expand to 32 teams in no time. It's all about the Benjamins.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
This immediately doubles my interest in college football from fan to lunatic.
I'm curious to know why DA would add "4 at the most" to his post. How could a playoff be a bad thing in any way shape or form. I'm curious to see how quickly a 3 or 4 seed, who would have otherwise never had a shot at the title, wins a NC.
On a side note, I'm really pumped to see how Tennessee's new complex affects their recruiting, and how far that shoots them up the rankings.
We're really sick of getting ass whoopings from AL, and FL before that.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
If there is money to be made it will expand to 32 teams in no time. It's all about the Benjamins.

While I agree they will chase the $$, 8 teams is about as far as scheduling will allow it to go, but I'm all for as many teams as they can get into a PO.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Baby steps.

These games are going to beat everything other the the SB into the ground.
College football easily becomes the 2nd most popular sport in America with a PO system IMO.

vailpass
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm curious to know why DA would add "4 at the most" to his post. How could a playoff be a bad thing in any way shape or form. I'm curious to see how quickly a 3 or 4 seed, who would have otherwise never had a shot at the title, wins a NC.
On a side note, I'm really pumped to see how Tennessee's new complex affects their recruiting, and how far that shoots them up the rankings.

I'm excited too. However I'm suspicious about how the 4 teams are going to be selected, would like to hear more details on that before I can know if I like it.

mr. tegu
06-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Heck, assuming the #4 seed plays the #1 seed, all it takes is that team at #4 to beat the #1 for this system to prove its worth, even if that team doesn't go on to win the championship.

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm excited too. However I'm suspicious about how the 4 teams are going to be selected, would like to hear more details on that before I can know if I like it.

BCS rankings, I'd guess.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Heck, assuming the #4 seed plays the #1 seed, all it takes is that team at #4 to beat the #1 for this system to prove its worth, even if that team doesn't go on to win the championship.

Yup, and it's not going to take long for that to happen.

Garcia Bronco
06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Lol...so the four teams get selected by a committee? That's really no different than today.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM

It's going to be the rankings, which is why I'm all for expanding it to at the very minimum 6 teams, but like someone else said, baby steps. It'll happen.

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Lol...so the four teams get selected by a committee? That's really no different than today.

The BCS computers should select them.

Either way, at least the #3 and #4 teams have a shot now.

Its a start.

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM

It's actually ahuge difference. 1vs4 2vs3 winner vs winner is a massive step in the right direction over 1vs2 for the title.

BigCatDaddy
06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I would hope any 1 loss or less conference champ from the B1G, SEC, Pac, and B12 would get first dibs on those spots. Then start looking at Non BCS schools with 0 losses or non conference champs with 1 loss. I don't know what hell to do with Notre Dame.

whoman69
06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
It's going to be the rankings, which is why I'm all for expanding it to at the very minimum 6 teams, but like someone else said, baby steps. It'll happen.

All the info I've seen said that its going to be a committee.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2012, 05:22 PM

2-loss teams don't deserve title shots when there are undefeated teams. 4 teams are enough.

The Franchise
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
I would hope any 1 loss or less conference champ from the B1G, SEC, Pac, and B12 would get first dibs on those spots. Then start looking at Non BCS schools with 0 losses or non conference champs with 1 loss. I don't know what hell to do with Notre Dame.

Automatic Playoff birth. :D

Seriously though.....lump them in with everyone else.

vailpass
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Not what I've seen. A committee that will take the rankings into account but consider other factors as well is what I hear the most.

Automatic placing the Big 4 Conference champs is another though that seems very unlikely.

They don't seem to have any sacred cows including the rankings which could be a good thing.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Not what I've seen. A committee that will take the rankings into account is what I hear the most.
Automatic placing the Big 4 Conference champs is another though that seems very unlikely.
They don't seem to have any sacred cows including the rankings which could be a good thing.

That would bad. Especially since not all conferences have a conference championship game. Imagine if 6-6 UCLA won the Pac-10 championship game last year. No way should that team get an automatic bid.

vailpass
06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
That would bad. Especially since not all conferences have a conference championship game. Imagine if 6-6 UCLA won the Pac-10 championship game last year. No way should that team get an automatic bid.

I think so too. The PAC has been floating that one and you can probably guess why. Slive will never agree to it in a million years.

Seems like the top 4 ranked should make it each year unless there is some other factor(s) which clearly shows one of the 4 best teams isn't ranked in the top 4. Which is where the committee angle would come in.

The Franchise
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Why not go top 6 teams.......with the top 2 teams getting 1st round byes?

Garcia Bronco
06-21-2012, 06:48 PM
The BCS computers should select them.

Either way, at least the #3 and #4 teams have a shot now.

Its a start.

Nope...according to the article...a committee will decide. So this sounds decidedly worse.

Garcia Bronco
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
It's actually ahuge difference. 1vs4 2vs3 winner vs winner is a massive step in the right direction over 1vs2 for the title.

Its really not. I don't care what they do...i Just know people will complain no matter what.

Bearcat
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Nope...according to the article...a committee will decide. So this sounds decidedly worse.

:spock:

How is 4 teams worse than 2? The committee will obviously make their decision based on rankings. Sure, they might select an SEC team that's ranked #5 over an undefeated non-BCS team, but the BCS rankings already do that now. I'd rather complain about the 4th team in than the 2nd.

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM

How is it worse? Baby steps.

The BCS selects the bowl game match-ups, so probably something like that.

I don't know why they can't just use BCS rankings for seeding.

BWillie
06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah I'm fine with this as long as its no more than four teams. I don't know why ppl are clamoring for tons more teams to get to play for a national champion. If there are ever 16 seeds I'm going to puke. College basketball has completely ruined the post season just so they can appeal to the casual fan....I hope that never happens in college football