PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dontari Poe-Every Snap against 2-11 Tulane

DallasChief
04-27-2012, 10:32 AM
All 65 snaps against 2-11 Conference USA Team Tulane last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxD_uV5kyk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AZxD_uV5kyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Watched this already. There are some flashes in this one, and this was the best video i could find of him.

jiveturkey
He doesn't look anywhere close to 350 lbs.

RealSNR
We've been talking about this for months, retard. Go away.

DallasChief
04-27-2012, 10:50 AM
We've been talking about this for months, retard. Go away.

Good for you. Not everyone who comes to this board has seen it, especially newer members.

Two-Twenty
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I've seen it

philfree
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
A guy that size playing 65 snaps deserves a medal.

vailpass
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Good looking school game tape. Got any from after he moved up to college ball?

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Good looking school game tape. Got any from after he moved up to college ball?

Not that i could find.

The more youtube highlights you watch, the worse he looks.

vailpass
04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Not that i could find.

The more youtube highlights you watch, the worse he looks.

Like any other draft pic only time will tell. Could be a beast, could be a bust. That weak ass conference makes it harder to tell.

jspchief
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Can someone post one of his highlight reels?

KurtCobain
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I've seen it

Oh, now I'm pissed.

This Qing needs to stop!

ChiefAshhole20
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
He doesn't dominate like Suh, but he doesn't lose ground when he's run blocked. He has some pass rush moves (that spin??) and consistently takes up space with the double-teams that he attracts. I like him as a pick because I know Romeo will coach him up and hopefully make him our Wilfork 2.0

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
He doesn't dominate like Suh, but he doesn't lose ground when he's run blocked. He has some pass rush moves (that spin??) and consistently takes up space with the double-teams that he attracts. I like him as a pick because I know Romeo will coach him up and hopefully make him our Wilfork 2.0

Suh Dominated in a Major BCS conference. This kid did NOT dominate in C-USA.

You say, "but hey, he didn't lose ground"

That would be really inspiring if he were doing that in the SEC. If he were doing that in the SEC, or hell, even the Big 10, i'd be freaking ecstatic right now.

But in C-USA, he shouldn't just be holding his ground, he should be penetrating.

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Not encouraging.

vailpass
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
But in C-USA, he shouldn't just be holding his ground, he should be penetrating, finishing, and smoking a cigarette afterward.

C-USA is just that awful

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
i watched 2 mins of it and he doesn't make a single play...not one

he gets redirected and run out of most plays....he doesn't look strong at all

that shit is embarrassing...wish i hadn't watched it

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM

That's what I don't get about the pick. He does not show strength at the point of attack or the ability to anchor. What little he does flash is his speed. Seems the exact opposite of what KC needs at NT.

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM

I know. Just makes you feel worse.

I never watched a single snap of his up until yesterday. Never thought i'd have to. I heard enough about him and didn't think the Chiefs would be that stupid.

And to make matters worse, that's probably the best game i could find for him on youtube.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
our #11 pick's highlight tape is 10 mins of getting his ass kicked by Tulane...

fucking brilliant

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
That's what I don't get about the pick. He does not show strength at the point of attack or the ability to anchor. What little he does flash is his speed. Seems the exact opposite of what KC needs at NT.

Most discouraging to me is how slow he is off the snap. JFC, at times, we was the last person on the line to get out of his stance.

Imon Yourside
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
As I watched the vid, I couldn't help but think "Hey this guy was picked #11 overall". Mutha #$*%# got paid reeel good.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
i skipped to 4 mins and watched until 7 mins

he still didn't make a play...not a single play and I'm not exaggerating

5 mins of complete worthlessness against Tulane

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
And another thing that gets me; they talk about how having to constantly switch positions was a detriment to his development.

Well, usually, when a coaching staff makes a guy switch positions, it's because they're trying to find something he's good at.

It's as if their coaching staff saw the measurables on this guy and decided that since he wasn't producing that maybe THEY were doing something wrong when in fact, it could just be that Poe isn't talented.

Usually in football, if you're asked to change what you're doing from year to year, it's because you're not very good at what you're doing in the first place.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
can one of you non-racist sunshine pumpers watch this tape and tell us what we're missing?

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
He plays every snap of the game the same. No noticeable decline from the first minute to the last minute. He's consistent.

ChiTown
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
He plays every snap of the game the same. No noticeable decline from the first minute to the last minute. He's consistent.

:LOL:

TEX
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
i skipped to 4 mins and watched until 7 mins

he still didn't make a play...not a single play and I'm not exaggerating

5 mins of complete worthlessness against Tulane

Saw him play against UH a few years ago. Basically had the same type of game - did nothing really. Unbelievable that they picked him at # 11 :banghead:

TEX
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM

BUT he looked OUTSTANDING at the combine...:rolleyes:

I'm thinking this is gonna turn out like Trazell Jenkins...AT least everyone thought Ryan Sims would be something.

TheGuardian
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Well that was great. He gets sealed off rather easily and his penetration is near non-existent.

Awesome.

kcpasco
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Go to 2:22
That is the highlight play of the whole film

Blick
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I like that spin move.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
At the very least there are three Tulane lineman who can tell their kids and grandkids that they outplayed and neutralized a first round NFL draft pick.

wazu
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Based on watching this, I think we should be targeting nothing but Tulane O-lineman for the rest of the draft.

kcpasco
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Except he was doubled almost every play.

This was a high risk high reward type pick at our biggest need on defense. I wish people chill out a little bit.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
At the very least there are three Tulane lineman who can tell their kids and grandkids that they outplayed and neutralized a first round NFL draft pick.

Based on watching this, I think we should be targeting nothing but Tulane O-lineman for the rest of the draft.

LMAO

CrazyHorse
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Very disruptive in the run game. They couldn't move him out of the run lane in most of the plays they ran at him. He has more than one pass rush move though he was used primarily as a plugger.

Those were the positives I saw. There were negatives as well. But a far cry from what I read in this thread. He was moved around a lot. That usually means thier best lineman. In this case, they almost never rushed more than 4. Which told me they were struggling on the back end. Thats why you didnt see but one sack and that was a bad snap.

I saw some good things in there. But then, I know what to look for, and what to expect from a 3-4 nose. A bunch of tackles and sacks arent one of them.

Blick
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Very disruptive in the run game. They couldn't move him out of the run lane in most of the plays they ran at him. He has more than one pass rush move though he was used primarily as a plugger.

Those were the positives I saw. There were negatives as well. But a far cry from what I read in this thread. He was moved around a lot. That usually means thier best lineman. In this case, they almost never rushed more than 4. Which told me they were struggling on the back end. Thats why you didnt see but one sack and that was a bad snap.

I saw some good things in there. But then, I know what to look for, and what to expect from a 3-4 nose. A bunch of tackles and sacks arent one of them.

This.

ChiefRocka
04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
the man was getting triple teamed...nuff said

vailpass
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Tulane.
2-11
C-USA

kcpasco
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Yes if only Poe could have played LB CB and Safety maybe the Memphis D wouldn't have been so shitty.

OskaloosaChief
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
A DT's job in a 3-4 scheme is to CONTROL the LOS and keep offensive linemen from getting to the LB's. Why do you think Ray Lewis racked up so many tackles with Ngata as his NT? Look at any 3-4 team and you'll see a TON of tackles from your middle LB's. Poe won't be relied on to get pressure (although, if he does, that would be a bonus), but more to just use his 346 pounds and strength he showed at the combine to keep opponent's OLmen from controlling the LOS. Hopefully, his ceiling is as high as some think it is and he can reach it. If so, we've got ourselves a good one. If not, the world will end.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 12:53 PM

share the time code on these plays where he was 'disruptive in the run game'...

as I don't know anything about what a NT does, I'd like to learn

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 12:54 PM

LMAO

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM

FTR, I'm very skeptical of this pick...however, that said:

A whole lot of "football fans" think they understand the game, but don't know shit about the real Xs and Os of the game. NTs at the NFL level can be very effective as run-stopping, lane-clogging, and immovable objects in the middle of a talented defense--especially when they possess the physical tools Poe does. Our defense is young, athlethletic, and talented. If offenses cannot double and triple team him on every play, that will either (a) free up others to make the play, or (b) force single blocking on a guy who should be tough to block one-on-one.

I'm not convinced that Poe will become the next Raji or Ngata...BUT within our defense and with Crennel and our coaching staff, he has a real chance to develop. Yes, it's a high-risk and high-reward pick...but a whole lot of 1st round picks are just that. The draft has been, and will remain, largely a crap-shoot.

Pioli and his crew haven't met full expectations yet, but I'll take their recent drafts over Peterson's any day of the week...and twice on Sundays.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
FTR, I'm very skeptical of this pick...however, that said:

A whole lot of "football fans" think they understand the game, but don't know shit about the real Xs and Os of the game. NTs at the NFL level can be very effective as run-stopping, lane-clogging, and immovable objects in the middle of a talented defense. Our defense is young, athlethletic, and talented.

I'm not convinced that Poe will become the next Raji or Ngata...BUT within our defense and with Crennel and our coaching staff, he has a real chance to develop. Yes, it's a high-risk and high-reward pick...but a whole lot of 1st round picks are just that. The draft has been, and will remain, largely a crap-shoot.

Pioli and his crew haven't met full expectations yet, but I'll take their recent drafts over Peterson's any day of the week...and twice on Sundays.

you watched the video and were impressed?

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Sigmund Freud's head would fucking explode if he were here to deal with all of this rationalization.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Sigmund Freud's head would ****ing explode if he were here to deal with all of this rationalization.

His college coaches sucked. His college coaches moved him too much for him to get comfortable. Romeo can develop any DL. He's fast. He's strong. He has Ngata upside. Somewhere there is a clip of him making a really good play.

CrazyHorse
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM

It shows up all through the video. If you dont know the difference between a run play and a pass play there is likely little I can teach you.

All sarcasm aside, I imagine you can see what I see. You choose not to I guess. Its pretty obvious. There were multiple plays where they tried to run at him and had to run around him.

Lightrise
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Not encouraging.

Dang...fantasy is always better than reality. You can get the same effect with a dozen other DT's still out there. We blew it...should have taken Weeden. Now we have to take Osweiler or the Center

Dragonocho
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
It shows up all through the video. If you dont know the difference between a run play and a pass play there is likely little I can teach you.

All sarcasm aside, I imagine you can see what I see. You choose not to I guess. Its pretty obvious. There were multiple plays where they tried to run at him and had to run around him.

I saw him rush through pulling guards and head to the backfield. Lineman follow pulling guards towards the play. This is a mistake most middle school coaches won't let their players make. This is probably where the "lacks ball awareness" criticism comes from and Romeo can fix that in practice.

He got trapped on trap plays. Meh that's how it works.

Mostly I was impressed that Tulane had a back named Brock Sanders. If I coached that team I would definitely make the fullback change his name to Chest Rockwell.

DaWolf
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM

Impressed with what? He's a nose tackle. He has one task and one task alone for us: take up blockers and push the pocket, and let other guys make plays.

If people are going to judge this guy based on tackles and sacks, then he's a bust. He's not going to put up numbers, Cody for Baltimore had 21 solo tackles and 0 sacks last year. His job is to come in here and do a single job to make everyone else's job easier. If he starts, and we do better against the run and Hali, Houston, and DJ's numbers improve, he's doing his job. If not, he's a failure.

The only question I have about this pick is whether he has the desire to work hard to be a top player at his position. I'm more concerned about that than game tape of him and his crappy teammates. People keep saying Ryan Sims, but Sim's biggest issue was that he was not a hard worker and spent his offseasons working on his rapping career in Atlanta IIRC...

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 01:31 PM

No. But I think I understood the context.

What I did see is a kid with potential demoralized by playing for a crappy team, who nonetheless shows some flashes of ability that appear to be indicative of much greater potential--especially within a more talented total defense.

I'm just hoping he becomes Chester McGlockton (or Ngata!,) rather than Junior Saivaii

The only question I have about this pick is whether he has the desire to work hard to be a top player at his position. I'm more concerned about that than game tape of him and his crappy teammates. People keep saying Ryan Sims, but Sim's biggest issue was that he was not a hard worker and spent his offseasons working on his rapping career in Atlanta IIRC...

Exactly right, IMHO.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Impressed with what? He's a nose tackle. He has one task and one task alone for us: take up blockers and push the pocket, and let other guys make plays.

I

You didn't even watch the video.

ModSocks
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM

lol

Dragonocho
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Watched this a second time. If I were coaching him I would be yelling for him to play much lower. He stands up at the snap and loses all the leverage available from his size. RAC can coach that out him if he's a willing student.

DaWolf
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM

I did watch the video. What was I supposed to be looking for, him hitting the QB? He moved around a lot. Saw him taking up blockers. They ran at him a few times and it looked ineffective. Mostly it was just blah stuff.

He's surrounded by a crappy team, by guys who can't make plays. By nature of a nose tackle type, if that's what's around you, you're going to look like crap too because they'll just throw over you or run around you.

My point is you also can't just sit here and judge the pick based on Memphis game tape. A two gap nose tackle needs to be placed in the proper system, and he needs to have playmakers around him so that when he does his job, the playmakers can make plays. Memphis has no playmakers. And if I go into the game tape expecting Poe to be the playmaker, then obviously that's going to be disappointing, because he's not supposed to be the playmaker.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to him when he gets plopped into a defense with playmakers around him and gets surrounded by guys who are going to hold him accountable for doing his role and doing it well.

Again, I agree there are questions about Poe that can only be answered once we see him in action for the Chiefs. But I'm not in total panic mode because of this pick. Finding a guy who can play that true two gap nose position can take years, as we've seen here over the past few years. The good ones will rarely be let go by their teams in FA, and all of the great 3-4 defenses need one. But my biggest question again is whether he has the work ethic/desire needed to get the job done at this level...

Dragonocho
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
But I'm not in total panic mode because of this pick. Finding a guy who can play that true two gap nose position can take years, as we've seen here over the past few years. The good ones will rarely be let go by their teams in FA, and all of the great 3-4 defenses need one. But my biggest question again is whether he has the work ethic/desire needed to get the job done at this level...

This. I saw a big giant athletic but relatively unskilled player against CUSA competition that is nowhere near NFL size/speed or skill. If he's coach-able, Romeo will get him to average NT skill in 2-3 months through repetition.
For him to transcend that and excel will have to come from within the man himself. I have no idea how he'll react the box in the NFL with skilled, fast, big, strong blockers but we'll get an idea at St. Joe. Playing 65 snaps means he has a motor. Two questions are heart and dedication. That's what we'll see/not in the fall.

Ming the Merciless
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Just what we need with our 1st round pick....a risky gamble on a guy who might need a few years to develop to even be an NFL caliber 3-4 NT.

FML

I hope the risk pays off...I really do but this is Pioli's death sentence if it doesn't in my mind.

Chiefnj2
If Romeo is so good at coaching people up why wasn't Powe on the field last year?

OskaloosaChief
We need to try and find a B.J. Raji highlight reel from last year. That guy started all 16 games and had a total of 22 tackles and 3 sacks (for those of you not very gifted in math, that's barely over a tackle a game)! You'd be hard pressed to find too many "highlights" in that tape! But you'd probably find a bunch for Clay Matthews and Desmond Bishop!

Chiefspants
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
We need to try and find a B.J. Raji highlight reel from last year. That guy started all 16 games and had a total of 22 tackles and 3 sacks (for those of you not very gifted in math, that's barely over a tackle a game)! You'd be hard pressed to find too many "highlights" in that tape! But you'd probably find a bunch for Clay Matthews and Desmond Bishop!

You'd be hardpressed to find anything because B.J was among the bottom ten DT's in the league last year.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Sigmund Freud's head would fucking explode if he were here to deal with all of this rationalization.

Some of us weren't enthused with any of the possible selections, hence being ok with a boom/bust pick at the biggest position of need on defense. Beats taking a fucking guard.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM

BJ Raji had a shitty year last year.

He had a good year the year before when he had 39 tackles and 6.5 sacks.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
He had a good year the year before when he had 39 tackles and 6.5 sacks.

He was doing it wrong that year. He's only supposed to occupy blockers and not actually tackle people, especially the QB. /CP true fans

Pasta Little Brioni
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Raji can thank that dumbass discount double check commercial for people thinking he's a badass.

HoneyBadger
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
It looks like he gives up on the play way to quick. And I saw many times where he was getting owned by the guard.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM

I felt the same way.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
A DT's job in a 3-4 scheme is to CONTROL the LOS and keep offensive linemen from getting to the LB's. Why do you think Ray Lewis racked up so many tackles with Ngata as his NT? Look at any 3-4 team and you'll see a TON of tackles from your middle LB's. Poe won't be relied on to get pressure (although, if he does, that would be a bonus), but more to just use his 346 pounds and strength he showed at the combine to keep opponent's OLmen from controlling the LOS. Hopefully, his ceiling is as high as some think it is and he can reach it. If so, we've got ourselves a good one. If not, the world will end.

this is correct. What I've been reading is his arms are too short and thus he get's owned by olinemen.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
It's pretty fucking hilarious that we drafted a workout warrior...who happens to have short arms. LMAO

I mean if you're gonna draft a guy on measurables, at least make sure he has long arms. LMAO

lcarus
04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
our #11 pick's highlight tape is 10 mins of getting his ass kicked by Tulane...

fucking brilliant

Romeo Crennel seemed excited about the pick. The Talking Can does not. Now we just need to figure out which one of the two of you has the better credentials. How do we do that?

Frosty
04-27-2012, 03:02 PM
This is the first I've heard of the short arm thing.

jjjayb
04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I was expecting to hate the video based on all the comments, but actually I feel a little better about his play in the video than what I expected. There are plenty of plays in the first few minutes of watching it that he breaks right through the line. The QB gets rid of the ball quickly so he doesn't get the sack, but that doesn't change the fact that he breaks through. He takes a lot of double teams, which is great, because it will free someone up to make a play.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Suh Dominated in a Major BCS conference. This kid did NOT dominate in C-USA.

You say, "but hey, he didn't lose ground"

That would be really inspiring if he were doing that in the SEC. If he were doing that in the SEC, or hell, even the Big 10, i'd be freaking ecstatic right now.

But in C-USA, he shouldn't just be holding his ground, he should be penetrating.

It depends on what you're asking him to do. You could definitely see Romeo's point that a guy that big shouldn't be spending so much time stunting and playing 1- or 2-technique as he did. In the 0-technique in a 2-gap scheme, he's going to be asked to clog up multiple blockers and to eat up space. He didn't seem to show much ability to do that, but I think there is certainly something to be said for seeing what he can do if they build him to be exclusively a 0-technique guy.

For people who say that the guy can't improve... think carefully about where he sucks and how he can be coached up. He's 345 lbs and can play 50+ snaps. That means he can amazingly add even more weight and be a true space eater. He is horribly inconsistent at maintaining the right pad level--very, very coachable, and would hugely improve his game if he can consistently play low. His hand usage is horrendous--guess what, the Chiefs kind of know what they're doing here, as Tamba Hali's game has exponentially improved with better hand technique. You see it in that youtube video. He often gets stood up. It's because he's getting too high on his pad level and/or he struggles to use his hands to disengage blocks.

Poe is an interesting case study because he is definitely horrendous at very coachable aspects of the game. I personally think it's well worth testing to see if we have some of the best d-line teachers in the game getting him to do at the very least those two things better. Would be interesting to see how well he could do if he changed from horrible to great at those two key things, in addition to getting more consistent experience at one specific technique.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
It's pretty ****ing hilarious that we drafted a workout warrior...who happens to have short arms. LMAO

I mean if you're gonna draft a guy on measurables, at least make sure he has long arms. LMAO

His arm length is 32", same as Raji and Wilfork.

Hali is living proof that you can counter smaller arm length by learning how to use your hands. And at the Nose Tackle position, especially if you have brute size and strength, I don't see why arm length is nearly as important as other line positions.

Bump
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
all he needs to do in this defense is command a double team and clog up the middle and let the linebackers make the plays. If he can do that in dominating fashion, I will be happy. Without Romeo here, this would have been one of the worst picks in Chiefs history, but with Romeo's coaching I can see why they drafted him because his skills are nasty.

Have some faith in Romeo, he's done good by us so far.

whoman69
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
It's pretty ****ing hilarious that we drafted a workout warrior...who happens to have short arms. LMAO

Long arms are the key to every HOF player ever

:)