PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thoughts on Jeff Allen pick?

Simplicity
04-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Curious...

petegz28
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Seems ok...hearing high praise and that he will be a day 1 starter. I don't see them cutting Lilja though. Think this guy was brought in for depth and future starter in the next couple years.

Huffman83
04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I had a feeling it would be OL. I would have liked Peter Konz. But I'm not butthurt over it.

O.city
04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Mayock really liked him.

Strongside
04-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Like.

Micjones
04-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I love the pick. I think he could very well snatch that job away from Lilja.

Kid has great technique/footwork. Rock solid pass protector.
He completes what could soon become the league's best Offensive Line.

TimeForWasp
No idea, sounds good to me.

Simplicity
I hear he is a solid, safe pick... Not mad about it nor not very happy but I can live with it.

SuperChief
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Can't wait to see how much GoatCheese hates the pick, Scott Pioli, and the Chiefs in general.

...oh wait. Yes I can.

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Pioli seems to be reverting a bit to his 2010 form, where he picks up nothing but team captains.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Really good pick.

KCDC
He is also our back-up LT if Albert doesn't re-sign.

RealSNR
Can't wait to see how much GoatCheese hates the pick, Scott Pioli, and the Chiefs in general.

...oh wait. Yes I can.
He likes the pick, aksh

ChiefaRoo
Can he play LT?? Seriously, can he?

ChiefaRoo
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I say pay Albert Tackle $$ but move him inside....

KCDC
Draft Analysis:

Mayock's take: "He's a natural pass protector, who I think is a Day 1 starter. For Kansas City, I think he's a left guard, which is fine because he's got the skill set to do so."

ChiefaRoo
Someday

Frankie
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
No like. I had him as a 3rd rounder. My O-line picks for 2nd rd were Silatou, Glenn, or Osemele.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8573536#post8573536

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Pioli waited three years, he couldn't take it anymore.

Fat guys all day long.

It's the Patriot Way.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
I like it. A Guard who can bounce outside to tackle if we need him to fill in.

A little versatility is NOT a bad thing.

Huffman83
No like. I had him as a 3rd rounder. My O-line picks for 2nd rd were Silatou, Glenn, or Osemele.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8573536#post8573536

I would have liked Silatou as well but he didn't make it that far.

Sfeihc
Pioli sure likes his Fightin' Illini' guards.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
If he can't jack off a pig he's a waste of a pick!

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Pioli waited three years, he couldn't take it anymore.

Fat guys all day long.

It's the Patriot Way.

We've been getting our ass kicked in the trenches too long.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Notes:

Uncle, Shon Williams, played football at Miami (Fla.). Allen was a four-year varsity starter as an Illinois prep. Enrolled early in January of 2008. Appeared in 11 games as a true freshman that fall, starting the last nine games at right tackle. Flipped sides in ’09 and started all 12 games at left tackle. Helped pave the way for the Big Ten’s top rushing offense as a team captain in ’10, making 13 starts at the weak-side tackle spot. Started all 13 games again on the weak side in ’11, finishing his career with 47 consecutive starts. Received the Illini’s Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award the past two years.
Positives:

Natural bender with outstanding recovery quickness, lateral agility and balance to mirror and sustain — is seldom on the ground or beaten in pass protection. Plays with a very solid base. Throws his hips in the hole and wins with quickness at the snap. Controls defenders with his hands. Is athletic running the field and can connect on the second level. Good football intelligence. Quick learner. Flipped sides and has proven he can play in a left- or right-hand stance. Versatility is a big plus — can play either tackle position and has the quickness to handle movement on the inside. Solid character. Very committed, dedicated approach — has not missed a practice or game. Is a tough, durable, hardworking four-year starter.
Negatives:

Does not look the part — is knock-kneed, fleshy-bodied and pear-shaped. Lacks ideal height and arm length for the outside. Not a nasty finisher or fiery run blocker. Not strong-handed or violent with his punch. Tends to set tall and catches a lot. Undisciplined eyes — late to see and adjust to some stunts. Conditioning has been a concern, and diet might require some additional monitoring.
Summary:

A model of consistency on and off the field, Allen makes the game look easy and is one of the best pure pass protectors in this year’s draft, with unique balance, coordination and agility to warrant late-first-round consideration as a left tackle prospect. Versatility, football smarts and durability could allow him to start immediately and play at a high level for the next 10 years.

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/jeff-allen-71/

seems like a solid, versatile pick...and we now have a solid, young OL in place

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Within 24 hours everyone will love the pick even though I don't think anybody wanted him in the 100's of replies to the thread "who do you want in the 2nd round."

Simplicity
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I love our OL now... When from the "shittiest" to the "elite-ish"... Power of the offseason.

Micjones
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Within 24 hours everyone will love the pick even though I don't think anybody wanted him in the 100's of replies to the thread "who do you want in the 2nd round."

I'm almost positive he was on my list.

Hammock Parties
We have basically no quality depth at guard or tackle, so we had to make this pick.

redsurfer11
I can live with it. I'll always approve of an OLine draft pick. But I really wanted Kendricks LB from Cal.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
We have basically no quality depth at guard or tackle, so we had to make this pick.

We don't have quality depth at several positions.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM

...oh wait. Yes I can.

Don't worry, he will waffle when it turns out good and will suck their cock next year.

Simplicity
04-27-2012, 06:28 PM

I'd say the OL is where we need the most depth. We have a qb that shits his pants everytime the ref blows the whistle.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM

I think it's the worst on the OL, though.

We can't afford to go into the season with no viable backup LT.

It might take an 8 win team and reduce it to 5 wins in the event of an injury.

SAUTO
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
He can play LT and this finally let's us move Albert to guard
Posted via Mobile Device

Fat Elvis
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Thought you guys might like this from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/jeff-allen?id=2532787

Overview
Allen has been a starter for four years on the offensive line for Illinois. With his size and experience playing on both the right and left sides, he will have good value as a backup at the next level. He has decent athletic ability and strength but knows how to keep defenders from beating him. He is likely worth a sixth- or seventh-round pick.

Analysis
Strengths Allen will make it as a pro because of his versatility. He has shown that he can play four of the five positions on the line (all but center). He tends to wait for defenders to come to him in pass protection, but is able to use his hands to keep them at bay. He has decent footwork in his pass set and when in space pulling. He is also a good mirror/shield blocker. He doesn't power his way upfield very often, but his man rarely gets behind him.

Weaknesses Allen is not a flashy blocker and is slightly slow at times. He is a bit of a 'tweener, excelling at neither the tackle nor guard spots. Opponents might be able to exploit his comparative lack of athleticism.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:mad:

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd say the OL is where we need the most depth. We have a qb that shits his pants everytime the ref blows the whistle.

If you haven't noticed, he takes sacks because he holds the ball too long, not because the line broke down.

We're just building a line that will allow him to hold the ball even longer before taking a sack.

If Allen starts Day One, I feel a lot better about the pick.

donkhater
I love our OL now... When from the "shittiest" to the "elite-ish"... Power of the offseason.

I'm not sure about that. Let's just say they went from incredibly pourous to giving the offense a chance, maybe even solid.

Elit-ish is KC circa 2002-2003.

ModSocks
Posted via Mobile Device

You trollin', right?

But yeah, I really like this pick. I doubt he'll start this year though. I want a safety next.

threebag
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Ya good safe pick with lots of potential value.

Micjones
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
You trollin', right?

But yeah, I really like this pick. I doubt he'll start this year though. I want a safety next.

Brandon Taylor por favor.

boogblaster
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
ima ok with him .....

keg in kc
04-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Within 24 hours everyone will love the pick even though I don't think anybody wanted him in the 100's of replies to the thread "who do you want in the 2nd round."I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I don't have every player everywhere committed to memory this year (if I ever did before). Didn't even recognize his name when it was called, but as I saw, heard and read more, I think it's fine. DeCastro in the first would have made me lose my mind, but this guy where they picked him seems sensible, albeit not sexy in any way, shape or form.

donkhater
04-27-2012, 06:36 PM

There isn't much quality depth anywhere on this team. ILB and QB are the obvious needs from a starting position. But just about any other position could be upgraded with depth.

Fat Elvis
04-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Brandon Taylor por favor.

Esto

milkman
04-27-2012, 06:38 PM
If you haven't noticed, he takes sacks because he holds the ball too long, not because the line broke down.

We're just building a line that will allow him to hold the ball even longer before taking a sack.

If Allen starts Day One, I feel a lot better about the pick.

I didn't have Allen on my wish list going into today, because I liked Glen, Osomele and Silatolu better.

But he's a solid pick, and in a fair competition should beat out Lilja.

But emphasis on that sentence goes to the word "fair".

Fat Elvis
04-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I don't have every player everywhere committed to memory this year (if I ever did before). Didn't even recognize his name when it was called, but as I saw, heard and read more, I think it's fine. DeCastro in the first would have made me lose my mind, but this guy where they picked him seems sensible, albeit not sexy in any way, shape or form.

I bet your penis is less than 9" long too. You're not a real CPer if you don't have every college player committed to memory.

ghak99
04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
It doesn't really impress me, but considering what had already went off the board I don't mind the pick. Seems to be a solid player with the skills to come in and compete for the job on day one. I don't mind the idea of having a plan in place for Albert walking either. At the very least he's solid OL depth until he can grow into his position on the line.

hometeam
04-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I really had not heard anything about this guy, but the fact that CP isnt losing its mind shows that is a good pick.

Okie_Apparition
04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
The Chiefs will trade him to the vikes for a pass rusher & a third round star safety

keg in kc
04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
If you haven't noticed, he takes sacks because he holds the ball too long, not because the line broke down.I fall more to the side that thinks there are issues with the offensive line, particularly up the middle, that were evident both in the running and passing games, but that said, Cassel's complete ineptitude is a separate issue. There were too many plays where the line was a turnstile and d-linemen were there with the handoff or before he dropped back more than three steps, and too many plays where he stood back there for an hour looking clueless and trying to figure out what was going on in front of him. Two problems, both important.

Either way, I don't think there are going to be any more problems with the offensive line now. Right tackle has finally been filled after more than a decade without a competent player there, and I think Hudson and Asamoah are both going to be upgrades over the start of the season last year. I'd expect Lilja to start in September, and probably get dinged or replaced sometime during the season, and Allen gives us some depth we haven't had there, and a chance to step in himself either during the season or in 2013.

Assuming no disasters strike, I think there should be a moratorium on all offensive line talks for the forseeable future as far as the draft goes. They're young and talented now, and looks like a group that should be together for years. The true fans have exactly what they want now, and thankfully the team didn't have to spend any more 1st round picks on it after not-so-fat Albert.

Now go out and get me my QB in 2013.

Simplicity
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
We needed OL and we got OL... Lehgo.

philfree
04-27-2012, 07:02 PM
So can he be a swing T or is just going to be converted to G? He seems like he might be versatile. If not we still need a swing T and a backup C.

NIUhuskies
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
audio interview w jeff allen on NFL XM Radio after he was selected by Chiefs

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/jeff-allen-joined-siriusxm-nfl-radio

petegz28
04-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I fall more to the side that thinks there are issues with the offensive line, particularly up the middle, that were evident both in the running and passing games, but that said, Cassel's complete ineptitude is a separate issue. There were too many plays where the line was a turnstile and d-linemen were there with the handoff or before he dropped back more than three steps, and too many plays where he stood back there for an hour looking clueless and trying to figure out what was going on in front of him. Two problems, both important.

Either way, I don't think there are going to be any more problems with the offensive line now. Right tackle has finally been filled after more than a decade without a competent player there, and I think Hudson and Asamoah are both going to be upgrades over the start of the season last year. I'd expect Lilja to start in September, and probably get dinged or replaced sometime during the season, and Allen gives us some depth we haven't had there, and a chance to step in himself either during the season or in 2013.

Assuming no disasters strike, I think there should be a moratorium on all offensive line talks for the forseeable future as far as the draft goes. They're young and talented now, and looks like a group that should be together for years. The true fans have exactly what they want now, and thankfully the team didn't have to spend any more 1st round picks on it after not-so-fat Albert.

The most important thing about an O-line is running an offense that suits them. Vermeil played it smart and knew we were smallish inside and big on the edges so we ran a lot of toss sweeps, etc. Herm with essentially the same line decided we would power run and that failed. Haley with the same center and and undersized edges wanted to power run a 5'6" guy up the middle and that failed.

Hopefully Dabol is smart enough to implement a system that compliments the strength of our line

Whosurdaddy
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
The most important thing about an O-line is running an offense that suits them. Vermeil played it smart and knew we were smallish inside and big on the edges so we ran a lot of toss sweeps, etc. Herm with essentially the same line decided we would power run and that failed. Haley with the same center and and undersized edges wanted to power run a 5'6" guy up the middle and that failed.

Hopefully Dabol is smart enough to implement a system that compliments the strength of our line

Vermeil's oline strength was on the left side with waters pulling that way. I could get 3 yards a pop on an counter or sweep left with Roaf+Shields+waters.

Our strength now is Albert? with holes in the middle between him and Asamoah. Hopefully Hudson does well at C. I don't think our O-line was as good as you guys make it out to be.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I fall more to the side that thinks there are issues with the offensive line, particularly up the middle, that were evident both in the running and passing games, but that said, Cassel's complete ineptitude is a separate issue. There were too many plays where the line was a turnstile and d-linemen were there with the handoff or before he dropped back more than three steps, and too many plays where he stood back there for an hour looking clueless and trying to figure out what was going on in front of him. Two problems, both important.

Did you miss the games where Orton came right in and threw for 300? The line isn't perfect but the Problems are mainly with the QB.

CP has been round and round on this subject....

And no, I wasn't an Orton ball washer.

petegz28
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Vermeil's oline strength was on the left side with waters pulling that way. I could get 3 yards a pop on an counter or sweep left with Roaf+Shields+waters.

Our strength now is Albert? with holes in the middle between him and Asamoah. Hopefully Hudson does well at C. I don't think our O-line was as good as you guys make it out to be.

Vermeil had Wiegman pulling instead of trying to plow straight ahead. The strength of our line now is that guy Winston

keg in kc
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Did you miss the games where Orton came right in and threw for 300? The line isn't perfect but the Problems are mainly with the QB.The real problem is that people can't grasp the concept of things being mutually exclusive. Everybody wants everything in black and white, either/or, because that's easier in hyperbolic discussion.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM

Hudson and Asamoah are guys that will solidify this line for years. Not because they're young or draft picks but because they're ****ing really good pros.

Now we have a guy that's played T but is best inside.

We have the ability to fill in if injury happens. WE HAVE DEPTH AND VERSATILITY.

2 Years from now our line will be ****ing destroying at the POA and looking like the line DV had.

We have two speedsters and one banger at HB and if we could add one more young physical back I'd be really excited...

Deberg_1990
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
The real problem is that people can't grasp the concept of things being mutually exclusive. Everybody wants everything in black and white, either/or, because that's easier in hyperbolic discussion.

I would agree wih this, but Orton was better at getting rid of the ball quicker and finding open men.

petegz28
04-27-2012, 07:29 PM
I would agree wih this, but Orton was better at getting rid of the ball quicker and finding open men.

Orton was better at a lot of things than Cassel. Proressions, better passes, tighter, zippier. You could easily tell one has been doing it longer than the other. One played in college, one watched in college.

milkman
04-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Bottom line here.

There isn't a single excuse for Cassel anymore.

petegz28
04-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Bottom line here.

Pretty much. He either reverts to 2010ish form or he has to get the hook. That being said if Quinn beats him out in camp they should start Quinn. Matt being the good guy he is would understand.

Whosurdaddy
04-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Hudson and Asamoah are guys that will solidify this line for years. Not because they're young or draft picks but because they're ****ing really good pros.

We have the ability to fill in if injury happens. WE HAVE DEPTH AND VERSATILITY.

2 Years from now our line will be ****ing destroying at the POA and looking like the line DV had.

We have two speedsters and one banger at HB and if we could add one more young physical back I'd be really excited...
I've been happy with Asamoah. I don't know what to think of Hudson yet. Has he started games yet? He looks solid from tape of his college days. I forgot completely that we signed Winston. If we retain Albert, then yeah we have the makings of a solid O-line again. It was completely different in my head when I imagining Weigman/lilja/Richardson.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I think we could have gotten a little better value out of the pick, but he projects to start, so we'll see. I also had him in the lower half of the 2nd round, early 3rd.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Bottom line here.

Yes this

petegz28
04-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I've been happy with Asamoah. I don't know what to think of Hudson yet. Has he started games yet? He looks solid from tape of his college days. I forgot completely that we signed Winston. If we retain Albert, then yeah we have the makings of a solid O-line again. It was completely different in my head when I imagining Weigman/lilja/Richardson.

Asamoah will be better with a bigger C next to him and Winston next to his other him. Same probably goes for Lilja. Weigman was just small and old.

ForeverChiefs58
04-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Pioli seems to be reverting a bit to his 2010 form, where he picks up nothing but team captains.

get ready for Kirk Cousins 3 time team captain. KC in KC.

Goldmember
04-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Romeo's goal is to have an all black offensive line someday. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Bottom line here.

Daboll will be another convenient excuse.

Or Charles will get hurt.

Or something.

Rausch
Safety.

petegz28
Romeo's goal is to have an all black offensive line someday. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

So they signed Winston?

Rausch
04-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Daboll will be another convenient excuse.

Or Charles will get hurt.

Or something.

Daboll is fucking terrible.

I have no clue how you could look at this man's resume and think he's a good choice to lead an offense.

Hiring him is as stupid as firing Galey...

Rausch
04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
What teh fuck!?!

Rausch
04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Kinda like trusr rhe people above our pay grade, like they know what us poor folks feel? Right?

Go to bed...

Pasta Little Brioni
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
There isn't much quality depth anywhere on this team. ILB and QB are the obvious needs from a starting position. But just about any other position could be upgraded with depth.

That's life in the NFL...

BIG K
04-27-2012, 08:06 PM

I agree with this; O-line is gonna be bad in a good way soon..Having another bruising back on the squad is a good idea. They have speed in the backfield, they just need muscle and power to complement it. Hillis is a good p/u, but he is only one year.....

Goldmember
04-27-2012, 08:07 PM
So they signed Winston?

he's part black. Didn't he explain that to you yet?

Chief Faithful
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Didn't expect Jeff Allen, but I like seeing an athletic verstile LG.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Charles
Hillis

Bowe
Baldwin
Breaston

Moeaki
Boss

Albert
Allen
Hudson
Asamoah
Winston

Looks good to me.

tredadda
04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I like the pick. We need Oline depth. This team had two major needs and one was addressed with Poe. The other won't be addressed this draft. Therefore, draft depth as it is always a wise strategy.

Ming the Merciless
04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Was there any after the first year? Ot the 2nd?

LOL.....The 1st year the entire team was utter shit. The second year cassel was actually decent..Are you retarded?

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
With every pick, the Allen selection is looking better.

tredadda
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
LOL.....The 1st year the entire team was utter shit. The second year cassel was actually decent..Are you retarded?

LMAO Not against teams that were, well you know good or anything. He did light it up against the worst teams in the league.

milkman
04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
LMAO Not against teams that were, well you know good or anything. He did light it up against the worst teams in the league.

"Light it up" is relative, I guess.

He's had 3 or 4 300+yard games as a Chief.

Lighting it up.

tredadda
04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
"Light it up" is relative, I guess.

He's had 3 or 4 300+yard games as a Chief.

Lighting it up.

When I say "light it up" I mean by Cassel standards, not Drew Brees standards.

penchief
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
This guy likes Jeff Allen a lot. Rates him as his top value pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828841a1/article/saints-raiders-others-find-good-value-with-late-draft-picks?module=HP11_content_stream