PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Yes, Memphis really had no idea how to use Poe.

Pages : [1] 2

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Fascinating...

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/04/27/nfl-draft-2012-the-guide-to-sleepers/?mod=google_news_blog

A Guide to NFL Draft Sleepers
April 27, 2012, 2:18 PM

Any seasoned NFL fan knows the deal with the draft by now: Your team makes a selection and management calls the fact that he was available a miracle. “We never thought he’d drop so far,” team executives say.

It’s become such a cliché that it’s a surprise Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson didn’t say it last night when selecting Andrew Luck with perhaps the most telegraphed first overall pick in draft history. But sometimes a player does fall for reasons other teams may come to regret. For those liable to think every player their team drafted was an absolute steal, we put together a handy guide to let you know if you have a sleeper on your hands:

THE OUT-OF-POSITION SLEEPER

If you look at steals in the draft over the past decade, you’ll find a handful of players who simply moved around too much to show NFL talent. Pro Bowl DT Jay Ratliff dabbled at tight end at Auburn, while star receiver Anquan Boldin had a rocky stint as Florida State’s quarterback. Aaron Kampman, a fifth-rounder out of Iowa who has made two Pro Bowls, switched between linebacker and defensive end – and not in the way teams do that regularly in the NFL. Heck, even Pro Bowl selection Cortland Finnegan was overlooked until the seventh round at cornerback at Samford because he was playing free safety the whole time.

So when examining your steal, see if he can play anywhere else on the field. Or just assume he can and you’ll be much happier. Take Michael Robinson, the former Penn State quarterback who didn’t entertain the idea of playing anywhere but running back in the pros. Still, most switcheroo candidates will take people by surprise. Perhaps a player like LSU’s average quarterback, Jordan Jefferson, who at 6 feet 3 ran a decent 4.6-second 40-yard dash and could be a receiving threat with the right development. Or maybe just a bad quarterback.

THE BAD-SCHEME SLEEPER

There are all sorts of stories about run-first high school offenses keeping future star QBs a secret – Brett Favre and Ben Roethlisberger are the most notable. But it’s rarer in college, where players often go to fit a specific scheme. Still, sometimes a player gets the wrong coach and looks undervalued. One example this year is Dontari Poe, the hulking defensive lineman who raced up draft boards after being ignored during a career at the college-football backwater of Memphis. He had just eight tackles-for-loss last season. On Thursday night, after the Kansas City Chiefs took him 11th overall, Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli noted that in 49% of his plays, the design of the defensive scheme made it literally impossible for him to record any sort of statistic.

But as we go on in the draft, these players will pop up more and more. In a stunning first-round coincidence, Ryan Tannehill could be considered one of these sleepers, since he was burdened with Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman’s molasses poorly-designed offense. Of course, Tannehill was drafted by the Dolphins last night, where he’ll get a new start with a new … whoops, nevermind, Sherman is the offensive coordinator there after getting fired from his Aggies job.

THE WRONG-SPORT SLEEPER

From Bo Jackson to Brian Jordan, it’s hard to know where to draft a multi-sport athlete, but one thing is clear: They are normally drafted lower than they should be. Last year, the league saw former Miami hoops player Jimmy Graham destroy secondaries. This after another former basketball-star-turned-tight-end, Antonio Gates, has haunted defensive backs for years. The Cowboys used to have a suite at the Final Four for assistants to interview basketball coaches to see which of their players might make the leap. It’s hard to get a read on a player who doesn’t devote himself full time to one sport. (And it doesn’t always work out. For more information, please read up on Drew Henson.)

Whatever the case, this year brings Russell Wilson, the Wisconsin quarterback who was second in the country with 10.3 yards per attempts on his passes. That’s not the only thing to recommend him. He also has a minor-league baseball career that’s taken up most of his summers, so much so that it got him run out of N.C. State’s program. Maybe a team can take a flier on him and he’ll produce if he focuses on football. At the very least, you’re looking at an upgrade on the company softball team.

THE NOT-HIS-FAULT SLEEPER

I’m telling anyone who will listen that Tommy Streeter, Miami’s 6-foot-5 wide receiver, is my big sleeper this year. Streeter is fast, can catch and played for some awful quarterbacks. LSU’s Rueben Randle, who had to deal with his own QB nightmare in Baton Rogue, is another one.

There’s Mohamed Sanu from Rutgers, who didn’t exactly get Johnny Unitas’s passes coming his way. In contrast there are players like Kendall Wright, the Baylor wide receiver who went in the first round to Tennessee and got the benefit of Robert Griffin III throwing to him. There’s always a blurry line there. After all, some great wide receivers, like Michael Irvin, had elite quarterbacks in college. But many (Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Isaac Bruce, Calvin Johnson) did not. So please disregard the “lack of production” disclaimer on the draft broadcast in these situations.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
We need to get some positive mojo going for Poe around here.

We're not smarter than everybody else. We're just not idiots, like the Memphis program is.

Rasputin
04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm not excited about his play this year. However if he sticks with it and makes strides to what Crennel wants him to do I think after a few seasons under his belt and some fortitude with attitude he can turn into a hulk of a DT. That's my hope for him, we just got to be patient for him in the long run of it.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Kansas City Chiefs took him 11th overall, Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli noted that in 49% of his plays, the design of the defensive scheme made it literally impossible for him to record any sort of statistic.

That still leaves 51% of his plays he could have done something.

Don't get me wrong i like the pick. The production numbers still look sad no matter how you twist it. And keep in mind he was playing against lower college level teams primarily.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Here you go !! Poe with his 4.98 350lbs will be our own "Fridge" when we need to punch it in at the goal line. But we need to come up with our own "Chiefs nickname" for him if he gets the ball.

the Talking Can
04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Ryan Tannehill could be considered one of these sleepers, since he was burdened with Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman’s molasses poorly-designed offense.

no no no...tannehill is risky

BossChief
The hypocrisy around the negative sentiment concerning Poe is silly.

I bet the only guy on this whole board that watched even one Memphis game was UP and yet a lot of guys already have him as the next Ryan Simms.

Romeo Crennel told him (during the phone call telling Poe he was the pick) he expects him to play "all three downs"

The more I think about it, the more I love the combo of elite ceiling and elite position/scheme coaching and become less and less worried about the players "floor"

Fairplay
Here you go !! Poe with his 4.98 350lbs will be our own "Fridge" when we need to punch it in at the goal line. But we need to come up with our own "Chiefs nickname" for him if he gets the ball.

Lumpy?

The Dawg
04-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Poelingball.

the Talking Can
04-28-2012, 06:32 PM

I bet the only guy on this whole board that watched even one Memphis game was UP and yet a lot of guys already have him as the next Ryan Simms.

Romeo Crennel told him (during the phone call telling Poe he was the pick) he expects him to play "all three downs"

The more I rationalize it, the more I love the combo of elite ceiling and elite position/scheme coaching and become less and less worried about the players "floor"

jc pearson broadcast 3 of his games and destroyed him in an interview on 610....said they never had a reason - over 3 games - to discuss him on tv even though they wanted to...

you can rationalize anything you want...you can't create something that isn't there

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
jc pearson broadcast 3 of his games and destroyed him in an interview on 610....said they never had a reason - over 3 games - to discuss him on tv even though they wanted to...

you can rationalize anything you want...you can't create something that isn't there

and JC pearson played the 2ndary and knows a lot about NT play and didn't take into account 3 d coord in 4yrs who didn't know how to coach him up?

WildTurkey

So Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel are terrible at player evaluation, but JC Pearson is some expert .......... Riiiiiight

Chiefshrink
Lumpy?

slow sounding.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Poelingball.

getting close:thumb:

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Poelingball.

You have to think about how Chris Berman would call a Poe highlight of him scoring from the goal line as a FB.

CrazyHorse
04-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Don't get me wrong i like the pick. The production numbers still look sad no matter how you twist it. And keep in mind he was playing against lower college level teams primarily.

To be honest, to grade interior D linemen statistically is very misleading. You have to watch the effect they have on each play. Even D end is that way to a lesser degree. That said, it dont mean he's good. It just means grading him by stats is very inacurate. He is responsible in large part to funnel, or steer the play to other players. He could blow up the middle and disprupt a play and it would never show up on a stat sheet. He could push the pocket, or hold the point. None would show up on paper.

KcMizzou
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
It's not hypocrisy. It's a perfectly understandable reaction given our history with DL draft picks, and what seem to be legitimate concerns surrounding Poe.

That said, it's a crucial position and you have to keep swinging until you hit on one. I put this pick on Romeo... seems like his pick to me. I hope it works out for him (us).

BossChief
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Ok I cant find the whole interview I was looking for, but I did find an article with some exerts from it.

This is why we passed on a guy like Cody, but chose to draft a guy like Poe so highly:

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli Compares Vince Wilfork and Terrence*Cody
by Joel Thorman on Jan 27, 2010 12:00 PM CST in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Draft

Kansas City Chiefs GM Scott Pioli talked with Josh Looney of KCChiefs.com about one of the most talked about players in Senior Bowl: Alabama nose tackle Terrence Cody.

Cody's name has been brought up frequently the past few days at the Senior
Bowl but it hasn't always been a good thing. He came in tipping the scales at 370 pounds, which places him as the largest player in attendance. *A lot of folks have expressed some concern over his size.

"He's an enormous presence*physically," Pioli told Looney. "The thing with a player like that is you know how he can work in a small space but what you want to see *is his lateral mobility and how much ground he can cover from that spot. Because obviously you want someone in that spot who can hunker down.

"They also have to have the ability to work within the tackles to make some plays and have some degree of range."

Cody's name pops up around the Chiefs for a couple of reasons. First, nose tackle is a perceived need on the team with 31 year old Ron Edwards manning the position last season and little depth behind him. Second, Pioli was part of drafting Vince Wilfork with the New England Patriots.

"I think the difference is, Vince, personally, [I think] was a little more explosive coming out," he said. "The body types, and the movements...the one thing I saw about Vince was he had more lateral range. Body types like that, the easy thing to do is say he looks like him, but Vince had very long arms for a guy his*height, which is important for a guy on the inside of the defensive line."

Terrance Cody is projected to go in the late first to early second round of the draft but concerns over his weight could hurt his draft stock in the coming months.

It's been reported that he played in the National Championship game about fifteen pounds lighter than what he is now so you gotta wonder about a guy that has trouble getting in shape for arguably the biggest job interview of his life to date.

Blick
04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
That's pretty much what I thought about him.

A lot of plays he was playing DE on a 3 man line against spread offenses. I mean, yeah, you're not going to make a lot of plays when teams are throwing quick passes all over the field and you're one of 3 guys rushing on 5...

Then, you have a guy like Chapman for Alabama, who is playing 3-4 nose surrounded by beasts on what is pretty much a minor league NFL team, playing against SEC offenses that run the ball a lot.

So, of course, a guy like Chapman is going to make more plays playing against those SEC offenses surrounded by those other players. Teams were running at him all the time.

Memphis was fucking atrocious and Poe was by far their best player. How often do you think teams ran his direction?

BossChief
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
It's not hypocrisy. It's a perfectly understandable reaction given our history with DL draft picks, and what seem to be legitimate concerns surrounding Poe.

That said, it's a crucial position and you have to keep swinging until you hit on one. I put this pick on Romeo... seems like his pick to me. I hope it works out for him (us).

You could tell Romeo genuinely loves and trusts the kid.

Poe wasn't a guy I wanted to draft, but I said over and over that I could get behind the pick if it's made because of the Romeo factor.

Knowing that we could have moved back and chose not to so we could take the kid adds some more excitement.

If it weren't for Romeo, I'd hate the pick.

Psyko Tek
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

well with our offense he better be able to punch it in from the 50

the Talking Can
04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
and i hate to be a dick, but oh well

Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli noted that in 49% of his plays, the design of the defensive scheme made it literally impossible for him to record any sort of statistic.

that percentage is meaningless without something to compare it too

what were the percentage of plays 'making it impossible to record a statistic' for all DL in college?

for all we know, poe's number is actually less than the average...which would make his performance even worse

best to just accept he did nothing in college, which is true, and pray he somehow learns to dominate in the NFL

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Poe' boy

TimeForWasp
04-28-2012, 06:55 PM
How about calling the zone inside the 5 yard line the PoeZone.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Poe-kymon

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Lil' poe peep

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:00 PM

poe poe poe your boat

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:01 PM
How about calling the zone inside the 5 yard line the PoeZone.

Interesting.........

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Poe-sitivly amazing

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:04 PM
POE PWNS!!!

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
A Poe Man's william perry

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
POE PWNS!!!

Everyone sounds better then mine. :(

whoman69
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM

You also have to consider they kept a 346 lb player on the field way too much. Crennel said they often had him in there for more than 50 snaps a game. We will have a subsitution available for him to take a breather.

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Hide yo donuts, here come da Poe Poe!!

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:07 PM

That's b/c you're a POE Smoker!!! j/k

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Call the POE POE

Whenever he comes out on offense we flash police lights and sirens and everyone gets their cellphones out to call the "POE POE".....

And he comes running out with a police strippers uniform on but just b4 he crosses onto the playing field he rips it off and is in his regular uniform.

Strongside
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
All I know is that if Poe actually is legit, he's going to make defenses have to basically coin flip to decide who to double team up front. Our pass rush could be nasty this year, fellas.

BossChief
04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
You also have to consider they kept a 346 lb player on the field way too much. Crennel said they often had him in there for more than 50 snaps a game. We will have a subsitution available for him to take a breather.

Romeo said to him during his selection call that he wanted Poe to be a 3 down player for him.

The kid is gonna play a lot of downs for us.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Poe-live it or not.

Strongside
04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned somewhere already, but Gretz' fatass actually pointed something funny out in the Pioli presser. This is the literary draft. We started with Poe and ended with Hemingway.

BossChief
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Call the POE POE

Whenever he comes out on offense we flash police lights and sirens and everyone gets their cellphones out to call the "POE POE".....

And he comes running out with a police strippers uniform on but just b4 he crosses onto the playing field he rips it off and is in his regular uniform.You have some weird fantasies.

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:14 PM
"Because your mine, I Poe the Line!"

O.city
04-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see us let him use that athleticism in rush situations to get to the qb and push the pocket.

RINGLEADER
04-28-2012, 07:20 PM

We're not smarter than everybody else. We're just not idiots, like the Memphis program is.

The reason for my skepticism when the pick was announced was a feeling that a) there were better/safer players available and b) we could have done a trade with the Eagles and still likely gotten Poe a few picks later. But what's done is done. Kid is either going to serve his purpose of keeping QBs from stepping up in the pocket or he'll be a bust. Don't see much in-between for him. Maybe he will end up being a world-beater after all, but when I see someone who hasn't played a down already blinged up, wearing the money before he actually has it, I just don't hold out a lot of hope.

I think the other thing going against him is the Chiefs' record of drafting D-Linemen. Out of all the D-Linemen we've taken in the first three rounds over the past two decades, you have one great player (Tamba Hali, who really plays as more of a pass-rushing LB), one marginally serviceable player (Glenn Dorsey), and a whole lotta suck (Tyson Jackson, Alex McGee, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Junior Siavii, Ryan Sims, Eddie Freeman, Eric Downing, and John Browning). That's a 3, 5, 6, 36, 43, 54, 67, 68, 75 and an 82 - gone and wasted.

On the bright side if the kid does go belly-up he won't be our biggest bust at the position.

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Red's the new Poeple

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
The reason for my skepticism when the pick was announced was a feeling that a) there were better/safer players available and b) we could have done a trade with the Eagles and still likely gotten Poe a few picks later. But what's done is done. Kid is either going to serve his purpose of keeping QBs from stepping up in the pocket or he'll be a bust. Don't see much in-between for him. Maybe he will end up being a world-beater after all, but when I see someone who hasn't played a down already blinged up, wearing the money before he actually has it, I just don't hold out a lot of hope.

I think the other thing going against him is the Chiefs' record of drafting D-Linemen. Out of all the D-Linemen we've taken in the first three rounds over the past two decades, you have one great player (Tamba Hali, who really plays as more of a pass-rushing LB), one marginally serviceable player (Glenn Dorsey), and a whole lotta suck (Tyson Jackson, Alex McGee, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Junior Siavii, Ryan Sims, Eddie Freeman, Eric Downing, and John Browning). That's a 3, 5, 6, 36, 43, 54, 67, 68, 75 and an 82 - gone and wasted.

On the bright side if the kid does go belly-up he won't be our biggest bust at the position.

You have some darn good posts man.

Bewbies
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
How can you do anything but Poe'nd?

O.city
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
If Poe does what he has the raw ability to do, and does what Romeo asks him to do, we could have a top 3 or 4 defense in the league that is really young to boot.

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM

I just thought of "Think Poesitive," but you beat me to it. :thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
He's not going to do shit for a year or two. Rarely do NT's come out and make an immediate impact. So it'll be fun to see the bust labels in week 4.

KChiefer

POE-NAGE!?!?!

WildTurkey

TJax while a reach at #3 is a good player for us who's got a chance to be even better

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2012, 07:29 PM
You have some darn good posts man.

I actually was just thinking the same damn thing.

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Poe-ner

RINGLEADER
04-28-2012, 07:31 PM
TJax while a reach at #3 is a good player for us who's got a chance to be even better

Yeah, well to be fair you're probably right that Tyson has an outside shot of redeeming himself. But he's been pretty mediocre for the most part with some very rare flashes now and then.

Rasputin
04-28-2012, 07:31 PM
If Poe does what he has the raw ability to do, and does what Romeo asks him to do, we could have a top 3 or 4 defense in the league that is really young to boot.

That's a big if.

BossChief
04-28-2012, 07:32 PM
He's not going to do shit for a year or two. Rarely do NT's come out and make an immediate impact. So it'll be fun to see the bust labels in week 4.

While I agree with this most of the time, Wilfork took over as the teams starting nose in his rookie year around week 10 and started all the way to the superbowl iirc.

Wilfork was a lot better prepared for the pro game, but I don't think it's out of the question to think Poe could be ready towards the end of his first year and is the type of guy that continues to improve into his late 20s and he has the tools to do so.

I wish I knew more about his personality and work ethic.

RINGLEADER
04-28-2012, 07:33 PM
My annual avatar change is in. I once was affluent. Now I am now a Poe man...

O.city
Oh it's a huge if, but it was the last piece to be added to our defense.

He has the ideal ability to play the position.

Chiefshrink

Bingo !! I love it !!

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Ngata did !

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
well with our offense he better be able to punch it in from the 50

:LOL: Totally get your point.

Urc Burry
04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
I am expecting Poe to be a rotational NT in base, and be the DT along with Bailey in our sub package

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Poe' boy

Politically incorrect. That wouldn't fly with the PC crowd but it's catchy and I like it.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I'd like to see us let him use that athleticism in rush situations to get to the qb and push the pocket.

Oh that's already a given:thumb: and Manning may be forced into retirement especially if J.D Walton remains the starter.:thumb:

jspchief
04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Whether or not he was able to make tackles, he was still an under-whelming presence on the college field, against inferior talent.

-King-
04-28-2012, 07:49 PM
All I know is that if Poe actually is legit, he's going to make defenses have to basically coin flip to decide who to double team up front. Our pass rush could be nasty this year, fellas.
If he's legit, then this team will dominate on defense for a very long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM
While I agree with this most of the time, Wilfork took over as the teams starting nose in his rookie year around week 10 and started all the way to the superbowl iirc.

Wilfork was a lot better prepared for the pro game, but I don't think it's out of the question to think Poe could be ready towards the end of his first year and is the type of guy that continues to improve into his late 20s and he has the tools to do so.

I wish I knew more about his personality and work ethic.

Ngata did !

I hope he does, but I'm not holding my breath.

keg in kc
04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
it'll be fun to see the bust labels in week 4.By "week 4" you mean "millisecond 4". As in four milliseconds after he was drafted.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
By "week 4" you mean "millisecond 4". As in four milliseconds after he was drafted.

Actually I meant millimeter 4, or the very tip of your penis. Bazinga!

keg in kc
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Actually I meant millimeter 4, or the very tip of your penis. Bazinga!If that's how close you are to the tip of my penis, I suddenly feel very uncomfortable.

KChiefer
04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Politically incorrect. That wouldn't fly with the PC crowd but it's catchy and I like it.

Well, he's not po' anymo'. Really I was thinking along the lines of both Doughboy from "Boyz in the Hood," and the sandwich 'cause he's HUNGRY!!

Johnny Vegas
04-28-2012, 08:06 PM
poe-powe-q'er

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Whether or not he was able to make tackles, he was still an under-whelming presence on the college field, against inferior talent.

How in the hell do you get coached up with 3 different D coord running 3 different D schemes of which none utilized Poe's athleticism of his 6'4" 350lbs 4.98 40 body in 4yrs??

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
POE-NAGE!?!?!

I like that one the best. When Poe tackles someone, or sacks the QB.
We can say it was Poe-nage or Poe-ned.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Well, he's not po' anymo'. Really I was thinking along the lines of both Doughboy from "Boyz in the Hood," and the sandwich 'cause he's HUNGRY!!

Oh I know what you were thinking but in today's overly sensitive PC environment you would have been torched !! Not by me of course but trust me by those that are PC !!

keg in kc
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
"That was some Poe, Poe tackling" might catch on. I mean, we've already been saying it for, what, 15 years?

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:16 PM

This will be the best one for Berman if Poe scores !!

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
"That was some Poe, Poe tackling" might catch on. I mean, we've already been saying it for, what, 15 years?

:LOL: No shit!

But NOW we don't mean "poor" !!;)

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2012, 08:27 PM
larry porter was a very bad head coach

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Ok I cant find the whole interview I was looking for

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pKBoCsx8-qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XHbqvAHhlJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v_wRR6B8NCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okie_Apparition
04-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Winston now chows down at Oklahoma Poes

O.city
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea, but can someone fully explain what a two gap nose is?

KcMizzou
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XHbqvAHhlJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love that bit from Romeo where he's asked if Poe is gonna be a starter. He says no, all rookies have to prove themselves.

Someone points out that Eric Berry was named a starter after one practice. "Well, that's all it took! Hahahaha"

Pasta Little Brioni
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
"Who else were you considering?"

GTFO LMAO

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea, but can someone fully explain what a two gap nose is?

Have Milkdud educate you !! His is the 'only' opinion that counts and if you doubt me on this just ask him. He will tell you so ! And I think will all know his favorite word to use on those that have different opinions:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Pioli has lost some weight. Probably not eating because he is worried Cassel is going to shit his pants even now with a stellar O-line with depth.:thumb:

Okie_Apparition
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Fruit punch flavored gatorade product placement

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Poe-nmower.

That one would make MTG happy i'm sure.

BossChief
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
A 2 gap nose is one of the most important positions on a 3-4 defense because if he is doing his job, it opens up the whole defense.

In our base alignment, the nose is lined up dead on the center and is responsible for both a gaps and controlling the point of attack. He is also responsible for quickly diagnosing the play because more times than not, the backers and safeties key off his movement. A good nose tells the rest of the defense where the ball is going. He is also responsible for protecting the cutbacks on b and c gap runs.

He needs to be able to shift his weight to anchor and have a good center of gravity and balance to be able to quickly diagnose run or pass...and then act on it. The guard and centers job is to wall you off to create a rushing lane...a top notch nose doesn't get moved and forces the run to go somewhere besides where it was designed to.

Thats the basic run responsibility.

As soon as he sees pass, he needs to get his hands on the center and walk him back into the quarterback while being aware of a draw. If the quarterback tries to escape up the middle, that's time to shine. Basically, collapse the pocket and force quarterbacks outside where we have 2 beasts to mop it up.

Poe has the physical tools to be very special and we have the coaches that have a proven history of developing talent.

Classic "boom or bust" pick that is a guy that could make Crennel look like a good or bad coach to end his career.

I'm pulling for the kid.

O.city
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
With that being the case, it seems like Poe is perfectly suited to do it.

Hope it works out.

If he can more effectively keep guys off Belcher and DJ, watch out.

Okie_Apparition
04-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Good excuse to go see the 3 Stooges movie
I'm sure it's used there a sceen or two

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Classic "boom or bust" pick that is a guy that could make Crennel look like a good or bad coach to end his career.

I'm pulling for the kid.

Roll the dice, the all or nothing play. We look like kings or bafoons no in betweens. I respect that.

dj56dt58
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Pawnmower;8579570]Poe-ner[/QUOTE
Only if bowe can be bowener

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
A 2 gap nose is one of the most important positions on a 3-4 defense because if he is doing his job, it opens up the whole defense.

In our base alignment, the nose is lined up dead on the center and is responsible for both a gaps and controlling the point of attack. He is also responsible for quickly diagnosing the play because more times than not, the backers and safeties key off his movement. A good nose tells the rest of the defense where the ball is going. He is also responsible for protecting the cutbacks on b and c gap runs.

He needs to be able to shift his weight to anchor and have a good center of gravity and balance to be able to quickly diagnose run or pass...and then act on it. The guard and centers job is to wall you off to create a rushing lane...a top notch nose doesn't get moved and forces the run to go somewhere besides where it was designed to.

As soon as he sees pass, he needs to get his hands on the center and walk him back into the quarterback while being aware of a draw. If the quarterback tries to escape up the middle, that's time to shine. Basically, collapse the pocket and force quarterbacks outside where we have 2 beasts to mop it up.

Poe has the physical tools to be very special and we have the coaches that have a proven history of developing talent.

I'm pulling for the kid.

Excellent lesson !

I have always enjoyed your humble educated football opinions and takes on certain gridiron issues. You go out of the way to be patient and considerate and non-combative when explaining things to the less educated. You know your stuff and articulate it very well.

You truly are the "Ernest Hemingway" of college and NFL football analysis and should be commended:thumb:

BossChief
04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
It was probably down to Decastro, Brockers or Poe and I genuinely think they had Kuechly, Tannehill and Barron higher because they said something like "some guys we liked went in front of us"

I like Brockers more because I have seen him play (not many of us saw a Memphis game) and acknowledge his celiing in this system...but Poes ceiling may be much higher and Romeo knows better than ANY OF US what to look for in defensive linemen.

This pick is Romeo saying "I can develop this kid"

BossChief
04-28-2012, 09:42 PM
The most important part for Poe is diagnosing the play and that will take time and is where Crennel can help him like no other coach can.

It's also possible this is another gift for this kid that we can't see because of not seeing his games. Maybe when Romeo was asking him (during interviews) why he did certain things and Poe gave the right answers, that impressed us and played a part in us drafting him at 11 instead of moving back and still drafting him.

We thought there was a good chance at losing him and seem in love with him.

I hope it works out.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
The most important part for Poe is diagnosing the play and that will take time and is where Crennel can help him like no other coach can.

It's also possible this is another gift for this kid that we can't see because of not seeing his games. Maybe when Romeo was asking him (during interviews) why he did certain things and Poe gave the right answers, that impressed us and played a part in us drafting him at 11 instead of moving back and still drafting him.

I hope it works out.

And if Crennel thought at any point this kid took plays off and didn't have a motor on all 3 downs Poe is not taken and Crennel did not see this in his tape. Let's just hope he doesn't eat himself out of the league as well and he has a contract that holds him to that weight.

KcMizzou
04-28-2012, 09:47 PM

I'm pulling for the kid.Great post. I think I accidentally learned something.

milkman
04-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Have Milkdud educate you !! His is the 'only' opinion that counts and if you doubt me on this just ask him. He will tell you so ! And I think will all know his favorite word to use on those that have different opinions:rolleyes:

There is no opinion about what the responsibilities are for a NT in a 2 gap system, and Boss does a great job of explaining it, far better than I can.

I respect a guy that asks the question, rather than talking out of his ass about something that he is less than educated on.

Brock
04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Excellent lesson !

I have always enjoyed your humble educated football opinions and takes on certain gridiron issues. You go out of the way to be patient and considerate and non-combative when explaining things to the less educated. You know your stuff and articulate it very well.

You truly are the "Ernest Hemingway" of college and NFL football analysis and should be commended:thumb:

slurp slurp

chiefzilla1501
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM

I hope it works out.

It's diagnosing the play, but it's also learning basic "blocking and tackling." He has to be coached the basics like using leverage and hand technique, especially at this position where he's going to be asked to absorb a bunch of blockers and shed. If he doesn't use leverage, he'll get stood up. If his hand technique is horrible, he's never going to get off his blocks. Especially since he doesn't have long arms. It doesn't matter how strong you are if you have no leverage. Doesn't matter how good you are at diagnosing if you're unable to get off blocks to go where you need to go.

The diagnosing part is interesting and the reason why it was silly to expect Tyson Jackson to be firing on all cylinders right away. The 5-technique does a lot more of that diagnosing than a traditional 4-3 defensive end too. You have to train these players to go from an attack mentality to a little more of a read-and-react. Poe is probably going to make a lot of really bad reads early on. That's the only way he's going to really learn. I hope people are able to be patient enough to let him make those mistakes. They definitely weren't with Dorsey or Jackson.

The good news is, we have in my mind the absolute best in the game at teaching this. I'm not big on RAC as a head coach, but he's the best 2-gap d-line coach in the game. By a mile. He's done it his entire career. My guess is that Pleasant has picked up a thing or two from the old man as well.

OctoberFart
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Regardless if Poe was as big as stud as some claim he would of excelled in any position dominating weak college OL.

Brock
04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Regardless if Poe was as big as stud as some claim he would of excelled in any position dominating weak college OL.

how did you enjoy your team's draft, shithead? Did you get a big boner from those third day picks?

Ming the Merciless
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM

Yah I guess if he were a bigger stud he would've been drafted in the top 10 right?

1st round draft pick isn't 'studly' enough for you eh?

I guess all of your picks this season are shit then?

Bump
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
TRUST ROMEO!

I guarantee you he can see things that you guys can't and knows what he is doing with defense.

Titty Meat
04-29-2012, 01:05 AM

The more I think about it, the more I love the combo of elite ceiling and elite position/scheme coaching and become less and less worried about the players "floor"

12 tackles is 12 tackles.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 02:55 AM
12 tackles is 12 tackles.

Glad you were able to provide this point of view without reading anything in this thread.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2012, 03:13 AM
THE WRONG-SPORT SLEEPER

From Bo Jackson to Brian Jordan, it’s hard to know where to draft a multi-sport athlete, but one thing is clear: They are normally drafted lower than they should be. Last year, the league saw former Miami hoops player Jimmy Graham destroy secondaries. This after another former basketball-star-turned-tight-end, Antonio Gates, has haunted defensive backs for years. The Cowboys used to have a suite at the Final Four for assistants to interview basketball coaches to see which of their players might make the leap. It’s hard to get a read on a player who doesn’t devote himself full time to one sport. (And it doesn’t always work out. For more information, please read up on Drew Henson.)

It really irks me when the talking heads use Gates as the benchmark multi-sport diverse TE/receive when Gonzalez was a second team all-American when he was the starting PF for Cal's basketball team.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 04:14 AM

I can see how that would sour you.
But these guys didn't draft all of those guys. And McGee is the only Pioli pick who is not producing. Like him or not, it's looking like TJ was one of the best prospects in that draft.

milkshock
04-29-2012, 04:19 AM
The fact is a guy who is 6'4 and 350 lbs is going to cause the opponent problems just by being on the field. I cant see him being completely useless based on his physique alone.

Now whether he can turn into some kind of a Warren Sapp/Albert Haynesworth type figure is another question, but he wont have a better teacher than Crennell. And lets face it, this was Romeo's selection.

kcxiv
04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
well, its all final and he's on the team. Ill support it and hope he turns out. If he doesnt, then the faster we get rid of this regime

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2012, 05:56 AM
What a bunch of pussies on here.

Every single person on this board except me said poe was going to be a bust and if the chiefs drafted him they would burn down arrowhead, blah blah.

Now its, "oh he's not that bad...."

Queers

Three7s
04-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Every single person on this board except me said poe was going to be a bust and if the chiefs drafted him they would burn down arrowhead, blah blah.

Queers
I didn't.

BoneKrusher
04-29-2012, 06:38 AM

Queers

not me, i say he's a Bust.

KCUnited
04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
PoElway. /sportsshrink

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
It was probably down to Decastro, Brockers or Poe and I genuinely think they had Kuechly, Tannehill and Barron higher because they said something like "some guys we liked went in front of us"

I like Brockers more because I have seen him play (not many of us saw a Memphis game) and acknowledge his celiing in this system...but Poes ceiling may be much higher and Romeo knows better than ANY OF US what to look for in defensive linemen.

This pick is Romeo saying "I can develop this kid"

I have to like the pick.
If you think about it, there are actually way fewer blue chip 2gap NTs, than there are franchise QBs.
If there's any position to roll the dice on defensively, this is the one.
The pick still scares the bejesus out of me though.

Ace Gunner
04-29-2012, 07:11 AM

here's the bad news; by october 1st you and others are going to be pounding your head against a wall cursing this pick.

the good news comes in two or three years, when poe either learns how to play the game of football or he finally gets his pink slip.

bevischief
04-29-2012, 07:15 AM

I hope you are right. Trying my best to wait for 3 yrs to past judgement on him.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Queers

I do remember reading a lot of Poe bashing. But every bit of it was based off of the reports of lack luster production.
I was neutral on Poe before the draft, and have no choice but to stay that way, and hope for the best.
I know when someone knows A LOT more about something than I do, and the gap between what I (or anyone else here) knows about DLmen, and what Romeo Crennel knows about them, are as wide as the gap between my knowledge base on gay sex and Claythan's.

jspchief
04-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Queers

The spin is staggering. There's a difference between hoping the pick works out, and the delusional reasoning in this thread for why it will.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
The spin is staggering. There's a difference between hoping the pick works out, and the delusional reasoning in this thread for why it will.

There's no reason you can't make a thread for why it won't.

jspchief
04-29-2012, 07:31 AM
There's no reason you can't make a thread for why it won't.

Theres a library of comments on the topic from before the draft.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Theres a library of comments on the topic from before the draft.

You're assuring me that he will in fact bust then?

boogblaster
04-29-2012, 08:59 AM
he was a needed .. with him and powe both play'n we should have the NTs we needed .....

jspchief
04-29-2012, 09:08 AM
You're assuring me that he will in fact bust then?

" Assuring" you? Don't be dense. We all know that nothing is guaranteed. That only time will tell.

But it is my opinion that he has many of the prospective traits of a bust, and very few of the prospective traits of a boom. It was a common opinion on this site a week ago.

I'm not going to suddenly support taking him in rnd 1 just because he was drafted by my team. I'm also not going to buy into the bullshit excuses for his lousy college tape that are being tossed around by homers and the front office. The fact that the initial pressers on the choice were dedicated to defending the pick is damning enough. It was a reach at 11 and he's a project and that makes it a bad pick in my book.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Every single person has said this is boom/bust. The reasons for why he could boom are not delusional, they've been based on sound reasoning. The critics of the pick have only pointed to the stat line. They haven't addressed the points made in this thread for why he could see significant improvement.

Chiefshrink
04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Every single person has said this is boom/bust. The reasons for why he could boom are not delusional, they've been based on sound reasoning. The critics of the pick have only pointed to the stat line. They haven't addressed the points made in this thread for why he could see significant improvement.

BINGO !!:thumb:

Pioli/Crennel don't take Poe if they see Poe not having a 3 down motor taking plays off and his combine interview answers are shit:thumb:

But it's obviousl to them(Pioli and Crennel) that having 3 D coord in 4yrs who did not take the time or knew how to utilize his talent in the right scheme in order to coach him up was obvious to them as to the reason this kid underperformed.

I will error on the side of Crennel/Pioli at this point:thumb:

bricks
04-29-2012, 09:26 AM

I'm pulling for the kid.

If he is going to want to have a good center of gravity then he needs to play low. That was the knock on him at Memphis. He played high at times. If he is going to anchor his weight, then he needs to keep his body low, keep those knees bent and play lower than your actual height. If he can do that, he'll be tough to move.

I do not like the fact that he is 6'4....Id rather prefer that my DTs are 6' to 6'2"...His height will give him a disadvantage because he will have a higher center of gravity which means he will be easier to throw off balance.

suzzer99
04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I hope you are right. Trying my best to wait for 3 yrs to past judgement on him.

Hopefully he'll at least blow up some plays and show a few flashes of brilliance as he learns the position.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 09:59 AM
If he is going to want to have a good center of gravity then he needs to play low. That was the knock on him at Memphis. He played high at times. If he is going to anchor his weight, then he needs to keep his body low, keep those knees bent and play lower than your actual height. If he can do that, he'll be tough to move.

I do not like the fact that he is 6'4....Id rather prefer that my DTs are 6' to 6'2"...His height will give him a disadvantage because he will have a higher center of gravity which means he will be easier to throw off balance.

Absolutely. The position is all about leverage. And this is, by the way, unbelievably easy to coach. That fix alone has potential to really change his game.

Coogs
04-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Queers

His 3 cone drill time scares me more than anything. And the only reason that scares me is that the guru's say that drill is the most important drill in prognosticating success.

That said, I trust Crennel to coach him up.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 10:25 AM
His 3 cone drill time scares me more than anything. And the only reason that scares me is that the guru's say that drill is the most important drill in prognosticating success.

Really? That's the first I've heard that, at least for a nose tackle. I think it's important for other tackles that stunt, but I would think the most important quality for a pure 3-4 nose tackle would be to have the strong to take on multiple blockers (particularly lower body).

Coogs
04-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Really? That's the first I've heard that, at least for a nose tackle. I think it's important for other tackles that stunt, but I would think the most important quality for a pure 3-4 nose tackle would be to have the strong to take on multiple blockers (particularly lower body).

They just said DT's. I assumed that meant NT's as well. :shrug:

JohnnyV13
04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I do remember reading a lot of Poe bashing. But every bit of it was based off of the reports of lack luster production.
I was neutral on Poe before the draft, and have no choice but to stay that way, and hope for the best.
I know when someone knows A LOT more about something than I do, and the gap between what I (or anyone else here) knows about DLmen, and what Romeo Crennel knows about them, are as wide as the gap between my knowledge base on gay sex and Claythan's.

Kudos to you about coming clean with respect to your exhaustive knowledge about gay sex. Its always good seeing someone finally accept themself.

Chiefshrink
04-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Like Ngata at 6'4":spock:

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
They just said DT's. I assumed that meant NT's as well. :shrug:

The good news is, I think that really only applies to DTs. They have to stunt and quickly hit their gaps, so it helps to have fast feet. A Nose Tackle isn't going to be moving all that much. It's more about knowing which guys to occupy space with and then getting the leverage to move those blockers. I wouldn't worry too much about his 3-cone.

By the way, that should make people feel better about Stephenson. Stephenson had a terrific 3-cone. Placed in the top 5 and not terribly far behind Kalil.

BossChief
04-29-2012, 10:40 AM
The 3cone is useful in gauging the ability to change direction and is used more for 3technique defensive tackles that are paid to move and disrupt.

A nose is paid to not be moved and isn't required to change direction very often.

Coogs
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
The good news is, I think that really only applies to DTs. They have to stunt and quickly hit their gaps, so it helps to have fast feet. A Nose Tackle isn't going to be moving all that much. It's more about knowing which guys to occupy space with and then getting the leverage to move those blockers. I wouldn't worry too much about his 3-cone.

By the way, that should make people feel better about Stephenson. Stephenson had a terrific 3-cone. Placed in the top 5 and not terribly far behind Kalil.

:thumb: Thanks. Learn something everyday on the Planet!

Coogs
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
The 3cone is useful in gauging the ability to change direction and is used more for 3technique defensive tackles that are paid to move and disrupt.

A nose is paid to not be moved and isn't required to change direction very often.

Ditto!

bricks
04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Absolutely. The position is all about leverage. And this is, by the way, unbelievably easy to coach. That fix alone has potential to really change his game.

Absolutely.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

But, those things do matter in Poe's case, because he's going to be playing in Sub-packages. He'll play some 3-tech.

beach tribe
04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
. Let's just hope he doesn't eat himself out of the league.
The crazy thing is, he's not even that fat. That's why he runs, and lifts like that. He truly is freakish.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
And if Crennel thought at any point this kid took plays off and didn't have a motor on all 3 downs Poe is not taken and Crennel did not see this in his tape. Let's just hope he doesn't eat himself out of the league as well and he has a contract that holds him to that weight.

:spock: He isn't Mush Cody at all

Blick
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know how you can't like what Romeo and Pioli had to say about him in their media sessions.

He has the physical traits to play the spot. It sounds like he has the mental toughness as well, and that's very important.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't know how you can't like what Romeo and Pioli had to say about him in their media sessions.

Call me when a GM or HC say negative things about a draft pick in the first media session about that draft pick.

Ming the Merciless
04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Call me when a GM or HC say negative things about a draft pick in the first media session about that draft pick.

http://captionsearch.com/pix/t8zrasr0.jpg

Blick
04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

That's not what I'm talking about.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
But, those things do matter in Poe's case, because he's going to be playing in Sub-packages. He'll play some 3-tech.

That's a good point, but it is a very small part of his game. I don't think anyone would care if he's not great in the 3-tech as long as he's very good in 0-tech.

Nightfyre
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
After hearing Pioli talk about him, I feel a lot better about the pick than I did. When he talks about the intangibles Poe possesses that we don't know about as prognosticators, that is important. The questions around Poe aren't about his ceiling, its about whether or not he will reach it. Crennel and Pioli are absolutely sold on his work ethic and physical ability.

Blick
04-29-2012, 01:45 PM
After hearing Pioli talk about him, I feel a lot better about the pick than I did. When he talks about the intangibles Poe possesses that we don't know about as prognosticators, that is important. The questions around Poe aren't about his ceiling, its about whether or not he will reach it. Crennel and Pioli are absolutely sold on his work ethic and physical ability.

Exactly.

okcchief
04-29-2012, 01:50 PM
These guys do spend a lot of time watching shit that we don't, and I hope they know what they're doing and Poe's a stud. My only problem with them right now is the refusal to replace Cassel. Even if it's just offering Kyle Orton more money than Dallas.

OctoberFart
04-29-2012, 03:59 PM
how did you enjoy your team's draft, shithead? Did you get a big boner from those third day picks?

I liked our picks what few we had. Still doesn't change the fact that Pioli got a hard on for a workout warrior in the Mike Mamula mold. It's fitting though Dorsey, Jackson, now Poe.

Ming the Merciless
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I liked our picks what few we had. Still doesn't change the fact that Pioli got a hard on for a workout warrior in the Mike Mamula mold. It's fitting though Dorsey, Jackson, now Poe.

It will be fitting when one of those three rips off Palmer's dick and stuffs it down his throat on the 28th of October.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-29-2012, 06:21 PM

enjoy the cellar

RealSNR
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I liked our picks what few we had. Still doesn't change the fact that Pioli got a hard on for a workout warrior in the Mike Mamula mold. It's fitting though Dorsey, Jackson, now Poe.LOL at the Turds fan who accuses our team of falling in love with workout warriors

Three7s
04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
If you want a bit more insight on Poe, here's a pretty good read.

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2436

Strongside
04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
enjoy the cellar

More like enjoy business as usual.

BossChief
04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
If you want a bit more insight on Poe, here's a pretty good read.

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2436

This was a nice read.

Thanks.

Blick
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
That interview is a very good read.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2012, 03:52 AM
<IFRAME width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight='0' scrolling="no" src="http://hub.video.msn.com/embed/29e92571-42d7-4c4a-8dc9-9d623858aa1c/?vars=YnJhbmQ9Zm94c3BvcnRzJmxpbmtiYWNrPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuYmluZy5jb20lMkZ2aWRlb3Mmc3luZGljYXRpb2 49dGFnJm1rdD1lbi11cyZjb25maWdDc2lkPU1TTlZpZGVvJmxpbmtvdmVycmlkZTI9aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRm1zbi5mb3hzcG9ydH MuY29tJTJGdmlkZW8lM0Z2aWRlb2lkJTNEJTdCMCU3RCZmcj1zaGFyZWVtYmVkLXN5bmRpY2F0aW9uJmNvbmZpZ05hbWU9c3luZG ljYXRpb25wbGF5ZXI%3D">
<A href="http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=29e92571-42d7-4c4a-8dc9-9d623858aa1c&src=v5:embed:syndication:&from=shareembed-syndication&quot;Story_MP2_NFL&quot;" target="_new" title="Round 1 Recap: Chiefs">Video: Round 1 Recap: Chiefs</A>
</IFRAME>

FWIW, Billick likes the selection. Also IMO if he just kinda gets it he'll be KC's version of Ted Washington .

Pasta Little Brioni
04-30-2012, 06:10 AM
WHAT??? You mean people around the NFL respect and defer to Romeo Crennel's opinion? I thought he was a fat, worthless bastard that didn't have a clue?

veist
04-30-2012, 09:56 AM

The 3-cone is really just testing their change of direction and its not like his was particularly slow for his size. Haloti Ngata's was a 7.97 for instance.

ChiefaRoo
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM

I don't think so. ...Mamula was undersized ... Poe has every tool. I think people underestimate him. All he has to do is anchor the LOS ....

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Except that the Chiefs have ALREADY SAID they expect Poe to be a three down player and a pass rusher.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
After hearing Pioli talk about him, I feel a lot better about the pick than I did.

Drink up!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F-AvV2C6qGw/TKpT0zt0fJI/AAAAAAAABVk/fFdzfd2ps6k/s1600/suicide_cults.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Drink up!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F-AvV2C6qGw/TKpT0zt0fJI/AAAAAAAABVk/fFdzfd2ps6k/s1600/suicide_cults.jpg

Go be a broncos fan. It would fit your penchant for flip flopping anyway.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Nightfyre just loved Scott Pioli's treatise on The Right 53. He ate that shit up.

htismaqe
04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Except that the Chiefs have ALREADY SAID they expect Poe to be a three down player and a pass rusher.

They also said they're going to stick him at NT and leave him there.

The 2 ideas are mutually exclusive.

veist
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM

Good thing he isn't playing OLB then. I mean seriously this is a fucking asinine talking point, his change of direction has nothing to do with rushing the passer from the inside.

Titty Meat
04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
So how bout the other 50% where he was in position to make a play and only registered 12 tackles?

BossChief
04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Where are you getting this 12 tackles stat from?

The sites I've seen credit him anywhere from 30 to 36 tackles last year.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
The more I read and hear about this kid, the more I like him and we are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Bowser
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
The more I read and hear about this kid, the more I like him and we are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Like I've said - get some legit NFL talent around him and see what he can do.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
only registered 12 tackles?Link?

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I cant believe he ran a sub-5 40.

345lbs coming at you that fast? Fuck.

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Poe didn't even play last year. It's all a myth.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
They also said they're going to stick him at NT and leave him there.

The 2 ideas are mutually exclusive.

No they're not.

He's going to play in the sub package as a pass rusher.

There is no NT in that package.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Like I've said - get some legit NFL talent around him and see what he can do.

That's what's so intriguing about Poe.

All he has to do in our defense is force the offense to redirect.

He does that, he is sending the sheep to the wolves with the talent we have on this defense.

I'm expecting him to look below average-bad for most of his first year, but for him to flash towards the end of the year.

I fully expect this place to have numerous Ryan Simms threads by week 2.

He WILL be thinking too much for most of the first year, at minimum.

By year two, he should be making strides and making believers of most of us by mid season.

RealSNR
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Too bad there isn't a combine drill that measures explosion and/or acceleration.

The problem is the dude isn't going to get much of a chance to use that speed and power he has. BOTH linemen (including the center) will always have the first step on him. He's hella slow off the snap.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Too bad there isn't a combine drill that measures explosion and/or acceleration.

The problem is the dude isn't going to get much of a chance to use that speed and power he has. BOTH linemen (including the center) will always have the first step on him. He's hella slow off the snap.

The broad jump and vertical jump both are designed to measure explosion.

kysirsoze
04-30-2012, 06:23 PM

I think he looked at the stat sheet wrong and thought the "games played" stat was his tackle total. I'm seeing 18 solo tackle and 15 assissted tackles. FWIW he had 8 TFL and 1 sack.

Saccopoo
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I think he looked at the stat sheet wrong and thought the "games played" stat was his tackle total. I'm seeing 18 solo tackle and 15 assissted tackles. FWIW he had 8 TFL and 1 sack.

12 games versus 18 tackles is a understandable misunderstanding. Especially when you bench press 44 reps and run a 4.9 at 346 lbs.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 06:29 PM

The shuttle drill supposedly does.

Shuttle run

The short shuttle is the first of the cone drills. It is known as the 5-10-5. What it tests is the athlete's lateral quickness and explosion in short areas. The athlete starts in the three-point stance, explodse out 5 yards to his right, touches the line, goes back 10 yards to his left, left hand touches the line, pivot, and he turns 5 more yards and finishes.

SAUTO
04-30-2012, 06:31 PM

I've been wondering this since the day he was picked.

It IS billay a are talking about though...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/nfl-combine-results.cfm?sort=shuttle20&pos=DT

Poe had the 11th best shuttle among DTs. :facepalm:

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
His three-cone drill was even worse. :facepalm:

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
His three-cone drill was even worse. :facepalm:

Insert a tampon and wait til he plays to decide if this was a failure.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
The guy is 350 pounds, man.

RealSNR
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
The broad jump and vertical jump both are designed to measure explosion.So what's Poe's problem? Why is he slow to react?

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
The guy is 350 pounds, man.

Yeah, I figured that would be brought up.

Can someone go look up BJ Raji's combine #s?

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=9156&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

dirk digler
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/nfl-combine-results.cfm?sort=shuttle20&pos=DT

he outperformed Brockers except in the 3-cone

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
So what's Poe's problem? Why is he slow to react?

probably over thinking his responsibilities, which may attribute to the shitty coaching he received.

This is speculation, but if Crennel thinks he can be a force on defense then I'll trust him in his area or expertise.

kysirsoze
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=9156&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

I'm at work and follow the link to Poe's numbers. How do they stack up?

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 06:56 PM

As good as Raji and in some cases better.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Raji was drafted at #9

BossChief
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
So what's Poe's problem? Why is he slow to react?

I don't want to speak to things I havent seen with my own eyes too much....but I will venture an educated guess in this case.

Explosion usually comes with confidence in what you are supposed to do so you play without thinking...that's when natural talent takes over.

It seems a problem they had in Memphis was that they were so strapped for talent that they tried to have Poe do too many things and he never learned to do one thing really well.

Add to that the coaching staff was piss poor and probably had no clue on how to actually coach the kid up and develop his god given gifts and you have a beastly physical specimen that could flourish under premier coaching and make our defense a truly elite unit...or maybe we got bamboozled and the guy is nothing more than another future disappointing KC DL.

Time will tell

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Poe
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 44
Vertical Jump: 29 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 7.90
40 Yrd Dash: 4.98

Raji

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.69
40 Yrd Dash: 5.12

Easy 6
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't want to speak to things I havent seen with my own eyes too much....but I will venture an educated guess in this case.

Explosion usually comes with confidence in what you are supposed to do so you play without thinking...that's when natural talent takes over.

It seems a problem they had in Memphis was that they were so strapped for talent that they tried to have Poe do too many things and he never learned to do one thing really well.

Add to that the coaching staff was piss poor and probably had no clue on how to actually coach the kid up and develop his god given gifts and you have a beastly physical specimen that could flourish under premier coaching and make our defense a truly elite unit...or maybe we got bamboozled and the guy is nothing more than another future disappointing KC DL.

Time will tell

Yeah, this.

Nice take.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Poe
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 44
Vertical Jump: 29 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56
40 Yrd Dash: 4.98

Raji

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.69
40 Yrd Dash: 5.12I'm glad someone posted this. I type way too slow.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
That's impressive, then. Excellent pick, not worried anymore.

Easy 6
04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
That's impressive, then. Excellent pick, not worried anymore.

Its not about not worrying, its about seeing the potential negatives, while acknowledging the potential reasons for optimism.

Bewbies
04-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Its not about not worrying, its about seeing the potential negatives, while acknowledging the potential reasons for optimism.

Wrong. It's about trolling. If we'd drafted Luck his ass would be trolling that pick too.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
What were the height/weight of the two?

Blick
04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Dude is bigger, stronger, and faster than Raji, Wilfork, and Ngata when they all came out.

I'm excited to see what he can do.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
What were the height/weight of the two?

Poe 6'3" 345
Raji 6'2" 335

BossChief
04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Poe has a chance to be our "Calvin Johnson"

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
His 40 <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hHM-9EW7TQU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hHM-9EW7TQU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

SAUTO
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Classic brick shithouse motherfucker
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 07:36 PM

Nope. Potential HOFer with those combine numbers.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Elite tools matching up with elite coaching doesn't often result in busts.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Nope. Potential HOFer with those combine numbers.http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

kysirsoze
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Really?

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Really?

I know he doesnt really believe Poe is a future HoF.

I'm wondering why he's acting this way towards Poe.

He's assuming he sucks since Pioli drafted him.

This is RACs pick.

Marcellus
04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I know he doesnt really believe Poe is a future HoF.

He's assuming he sucks since Pioli drafted him.

This is RACs pick.

He dislikes RAC even more as a HC than he does Pioli as GM.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
This is RACs pick.

Yes, Pioli fired Haley to hire someone on staff and defer to him. ROFL

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I

Because conventional wisdom says it was a shitty pick, and every time Pioli bucks conventional wisdom for his Patriot Way shit, it usually blows up in his fucking face.

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Doesn't matter.

Crennel showed up and is squeezing every ounce of talent out of Dorsey and Jackson in this defense.

Bailey, also regarded as a project defensive lineman, seems to be coming along very well.

These things all bode very well for Poe.

But it's going to take him a year to be competent and consistent, and two years to better assess what we've got in him.

350 lbs with all that athletic ability and strength, though.... You're giving a master cook fantastic ingredients.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 09:00 PM
You're giving a master cook fantastic ingredients.

The cook is going to get fired before he has a chance to make dinner.

Because of Cassel.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
probably over thinking his responsibilities, which may attribute to the shitty coaching he received.

This is speculation, but if Crennel thinks he can be a force on defense then I'll trust him in his area or expertise.

Quoth the whisperer nevermore.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I'll actually give Scott a little bit of credit for picking developmental guys when he has to win NOW.

I'm sure the urge to get someone with a lower ceiling was there.

veist
04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
The shuttle drill supposedly does.

Because conventional wisdom says it was a shitty pick, and every time Pioli bucks conventional wisdom for his Patriot Way shit, it usually blows up in his fucking face.

Can we just stick with this last reason which is at least legitimate if poorly formed here for why he was a bad pick, i.e. he didn't produce in college. The measurables thing is dumb because a) he has elite measurables for his size/position and b) the correlation between measurables and NFL production is mostly non-existent and if you don't believe me get your hands on this. (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08959285.2011.555218)

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
How do YOU know it was a shitty pick?

How much college ball do you watch?

Did you know other teams were interested?

Didnt we need an NT?

I think this is a much better pick than Brockers.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
It was cool as Mayock said Pioli was "risk adverse" before every pick...and a lot of them carry fairly large risk to them.

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
The cook is going to get fired before he has a chance to make dinner.

Because of Cassel.

Cassel is just a bad casserol (Casselrol?) made by the soux chef. That's not our chef's responsibility. Our chef specializes in provancale cuisine, especially saffron chickens and beefstake tomatoes.

So.

Poe was a good pick.

I'm sure I made that point in that analogy somewhere.

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I gotta say.

http://thevikingage.com/files/2012/04/5657428.jpg

This guy does not have the gut of someone who is 350 lbs. This is not a Terrance Cody gut.

http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/images/11033.jpg

Much more of a Haloti Ngata physique.

http://0.tqn.com/d/football/1/0/R/W/HalotiNgata1.jpg

Scary...

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
He's got less of a gut than BJ Raji, who he has by 20 lbs.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2011+NFC+Championship+Green+Bay+Packers+v+WwlwsB7UL2Yl.jpg

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Casey Hampton.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/hampton.jpg

Vance Wilfork.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pWLqU4BOlgQ/0.jpg

Wilfork a little less so -- but both of them have guts.

The only guy Poe's size with his physique seems to be Ngata.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Poe is not a typical NT fatbody.

He's solid

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Haynesworth was 340+ and carried it very well.

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/16443-1/AlbertHaynesworth.jpg

Soliai carries it very well, also. Huge frame, just a little bigger than Poe.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/files/2012/03/Paul-Soliai.jpeg

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Ron Brace, Patriots' backup NT, does not carry it so well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Ron_Brace.JPG/220px-Ron_Brace.JPG

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Alan Branch (#78) does not carry it as well.

http://nflcardinals.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/new4-3blog.jpg

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
For the amount of bitching that there was for not drafting an NT there sure is a lot of bitching here.

Its not like its a reach. He was projected to go mid-1st

O.city
04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I just hope he plays like his hair is on fire.

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Michael Jasper -- 2011 7th rounder, listed at 375 lbs. LMAO

http://www.bethelathletics.com/images/2011-12/2011%20football/Jasper%20debut.jpg

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
LMAO

http://buffalowdown.com/files/2011/09/jaspermike.jpg

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/929jackfm.com/files/2011/12/ScreenHunter_16-Dec.-28-16.51.jpg

O.city
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
If Poe does in fact turn out to be a Ngata type force in there, I'll praise Romeo the highest praise I can.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
If Poe does in fact turn out to be a Ngata type force in there, I'll praise Romeo the highest praise I can.

I'm just hoping something of the realm of Hampton or Washington, everything that exceeds that is gravy.

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Poe's D-Linemate Frank Trotter just got signed as a UDFA by the Jaguars. I mention this because I really loved watching both of them play and was fairly surprised Trotter hadn't even gotten the slightest NFL look, so I'm happy he's getting a chance. I felt absolutely confident that Poe, Trotter, and Johnnie Farms were quality players standing in the way of an even more stunningly terrible team than the one that showed up the past few years.

Whatever you can imagine about the coaching staff at Memphis' ineptitude, try harder. They were such tremendous fuckups that it shamed the boosters into a full-scale revolt that's culminating in the deposition of the AD and President and a huge, sudden influx of money into the program (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/apr/30/fedex-presents-25-million-donation-u-m-liberty-bow/?CID=happeningnow).

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Poe's D-Linemate Frank Trotter just got signed as a UDFA by the Jaguars. I mention this because I really loved watching both of them play and was fairly surprised Trotter hadn't even gotten the slightest NFL look, so I'm happy he's getting a chance. I felt absolutely confident that Poe, Trotter, and Johnnie Farms were quality players standing in the way of an even more stunningly terrible team than the one that showed up the past few years.

Whatever you can imagine about the coaching staff at Memphis' ineptitude, try harder. They were such tremendous ****ups that it shamed the boosters into a full-scale revolt that's culminating in the deposition of the AD and President and a huge, sudden influx of money into the program (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/apr/30/fedex-presents-25-million-donation-u-m-liberty-bow/?CID=happeningnow).

They gotta feel like huge tools right now.

Poe has basically exposed how little anybody thinks of tha tprogram right now.

Titty Meat
05-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Doesn't matter.

Crennel showed up and is squeezing every ounce of talent out of Dorsey and Jackson in this defense.

Bailey, also regarded as a project defensive lineman, seems to be coming along very well.

These things all bode very well for Poe.

But it's going to take him a year to be competent and consistent, and two years to better assess what we've got in him.

350 lbs with all that athletic ability and strength, though.... You're giving a master cook fantastic ingredients.

Won't even get 10 tackles this season. Want to bet on it?

Direckshun
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Won't even get 10 tackles this season. Want to bet on it?

Ooooooooo...... Ten tackles.

That is an enticing bet.

Hmmmm. :hmmm:

What are the stakes.

Direckshun
05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Let's make this creative.

Like, loser has to make a Lord of the Rings analogy in every post for a month, or something.

Direckshun
05-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Don't you puss out on me, bitch.

You opened this can, let's eat it all.

Titty Meat
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Let's make this creative.

Like, loser has to make a Lord of the Rings analogy in every post for a month, or something.

Sounds good but I've never seen the Lord Of The Rings believe it or not.

Direckshun
05-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Sounds good but I've never seen the Lord Of The Rings believe it or not.

Give me the nerdiest pop culture reference you're into.

Titty Meat
05-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Give me the nerdiest pop culture reference you're into.

Hmm i'm not sure. I like shitty reality shows like Dog The Bounty Hunter and Storage Wars?

Direckshun
05-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Hmm i'm not sure. I like shitty reality shows like Dog The Bounty Hunter and Storage Wars?

Damn.

You ever read?

Comic books? Are you familiar with the game of Monopoly?