PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft The team with the best draft by value in 2012 is the....

jAZ
04-29-2012, 03:50 PM
... Pittsburgh Steelers. With KC coming in at #9 according to my calculations and the NFL.com player rating.

http://i49.tinypic.com/4imwt5.png

I ordered the players by the NFL.com player rating and subtracted their rating position from their draft position. The different between the two is a + number if they were drafted lower than their rating. It's a - number if they were drafted higher than their rating. The 3rd column is the sum total of + and - scores for each player drafted by each team.

Column #1 and #2 are the sum total and average of all player ratings by each team. So if a team drafted 8 players each with a 100 score, they would have 800 for column #1 and 100 for #2. If another team drafted 8 players each with a 50 score, then they would have 400 for #1 and 50 for #2.

Bump
04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
that means absolutely nothing

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2012, 03:52 PM
You wasted a ton of time.

Probably should stick to DC.

jAZ
04-29-2012, 03:53 PM

So does every other form of analysis of the draft. It's all wild speculation. It's only interesting if you think its fun to think about these things. Don't take any of it seriously.

jAZ
04-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Every post on this forum falls into this category. Thx.

jAZ
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The results actually seemed somewhat intuitively reasonable. It's not saying that the Steelers had the best draft, that goes to the Colts because the team with Andrew Luck wins. This just says who did what with their position assuming that the NFL.com player ratings mean anything.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
A Polar Bear fell on me....
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
So if I understand your chart correctly, then only their relative rating is important for your ranking. I guess that would equalize for where they pick in the draft.

I knew the Pats would come up bad on any grading chart. They had a few players that were ranked very low in their draft position and a few that NFL didn't even have height and weight on. That makes me think they did a better job of scouting lesser known players, but they could have also gotten those players later in the draft then.

jAZ
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
So if I understand your chart correctly, then only their relative rating is important for your ranking. I guess that would equalize for where they pick in the draft.

I knew the Pats would come up bad on any grading chart. They had a few players that were ranked very low in their draft position and a few that NFL didn't even have height and weight on. That makes me think they did a better job of scouting lesser known players, but they could have also gotten those players later in the draft then.

Yep. Column #3 is the interesting part. And if the Pats (or any team) reached on players (based on the grading by NFL.com) they would end up lower on the list.

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I think a lot of teams pick some random guy in the later rounds that nobody has ever heard of so they can validate themselves. Long was Piolis guy

patteeu
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Good job, jAZ.

Really? You're calling someone out for doing an interesting and transparent analysis instead of the typical baseless opinions we get from people pretending to be NFL talent gurus?

boogblaster
04-29-2012, 05:21 PM
the over-look of any draft is a crap-shoot .. grade it however .. none has proven anything .....

Dave Lane
04-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Well I like seeing the Broncos at -271

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Good job, jAZ.

Really? You're calling someone out for doing an interesting and transparent analysis instead of the typical baseless opinions we get from people pretending to be NFL talent gurus?

You're right.

I shouldn't be calling him out.

I should be asking him to do the same thing with Mike Mayock's rankings.

And then Todd McShay's.

And then Mel Kiper's.

And then Russ Lande's.

And then Scott Wright's.

And then, see what we learn.

Dave Lane
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh and like Patty said good job Jaz really nice compilation, a lot of work and very interesting from a truly statistical standpoint.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Did you own a pocket protector?

Dave Lane
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey jaz as an idea can you put down the draft picks and the rankings just for the AFC West teams? It would be interesting to see how it do hell Denver got to a -271

Bowser
04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
We did NOT have a better draft than the Buccaneers.

Otter
04-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Welcome to statistics 101

patteeu
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
You're right.

And then Todd McShay's.

And then Mel Kiper's.

And then Russ Lande's.

And then Scott Wright's.

Or you could do that.

Chiefaholic
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
If I've learned anything at all from reading Chiefsplanet over the years, it's take the general consensus of all the "draft experts" here and expect the opposite. Therefore, this draft class will be the core that play major roles in helping our future franchise QB take this team to the Superbowl.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2012, 06:15 PM
If I've learned anything at all from reading Chiefsplanet over the years, it's take the general consensus of all the "draft experts" here and expect the opposite.

Don't be stupid.

The 2009 draft was vilified around here, and it sucked a big one. The 2011 draft was praised, as was 08.

Drafturbators 4lyfe.

Chiefaholic
04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Don't be stupid.

The 2009 draft was vilified around here, and it sucked a big one. The 2011 draft was praised, as was 08.

Drafturbators 4lyfe.

The only thing you bring to the board are incredible video's and lots of drama. You enjoy being in the spotlight, thus you tend to go way overboard with your comments to draw attention to yourself.

Most of the "gurus" would have traded away every damn good player we have. I'll take Pioli's draft views over yours any day of the week and expecially Sundays.

CrazyHorse
04-29-2012, 06:37 PM
If I've learned anything at all from reading Chiefsplanet over the years, it's take the general consensus of all the "draft experts" here and expect the opposite. Therefore, this draft class will be the core that play major roles in helping our future franchise QB take this team to the Superbowl.

I couldnt agree more. Whats more interesting is that they forget how badly they missed on thier players in previous drafts. Then come back the following season thinking everyone has fogotten how big an asshole they are.

Whats funny is they want to be taken seriously.

patteeu
04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I couldnt agree more. Whats more interesting is that they forget how badly they missed on thier players in previous drafts. Then come back the following season thinking everyone has fogotten how big an asshole they are.

Whats funny is they want to be taken seriously.

Yeah, there's a deficit of shame around here when it comes to player evaluations sometimes.

milkman
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, there's a deficit of shame around here when it comes to player evaluations sometimes.

That's bull.

There are a couple of people that are the way you describe them, but most of us own up to our mistakes.

I've started a couple of threads specifically to own up to mine, and have talked about others along the way.

patteeu
04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
That's bull.

There are a couple of people that are the way you describe them, but most of us own up to our mistakes.

I've started a couple of threads specifically to own up to mine, and have talked about others along the way.

No one here, including you, is good enough at evaluating talent to justify the level of venomous animosity spewed by some toward those with whom they disagree. Admitting you were wrong here and there, after the fact, doesn't quite cut it. You're not necessarily the worst offender, but it's a widespread phenomenon here and most of us are guilty to one degree or another.

milkman
04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
No one here, including you, is good enough at evaluating talent to justify the level of venomous animosity spewed by some toward those with whom they disagree. Admitting you were wrong here and there, after the fact, doesn't quite cut it. You're not necessarily the worst offender, but it's a widespread phenomenon here and most of us are guilty to one degree or another.

That's just a purty way of saying, trust the staff, and leave your opinions at the door.

There's got to be Stepford Chief forum somewhere that would suit you just fine.

patteeu
04-29-2012, 08:49 PM
That's just a purty way of saying, trust the staff, and leave your opinions at the door.

There's got to be Stepford Chief forum somewhere that would suit you just fine.

Are you telling me that you can't even conceive of a way to disagree without being an asshole, because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

jAZ
04-29-2012, 10:52 PM
You're right.

And then Todd McShay's.

And then Mel Kiper's.

And then Russ Lande's.

And then Scott Wright's.

I need a list of all drafted players with a grade (1-100 or some scale) to do it with other's grades.

This is from the ESPN.com NFL page. Same general method.

http://i47.tinypic.com/14bui6r.png

listopencil
04-29-2012, 10:58 PM
A Polar Bear fell on me....
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh shit. Are you OK?

jAZ
04-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey jaz as an idea can you put down the draft picks and the rankings just for the AFC West teams? It would be interesting to see how it do hell Denver got to a -271

I didn't save my excel file last time, but since I just did it for the ESPN data, here's the AFC West detail from ESPN's info.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vhtci1.png

Okie_Apparition
04-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I've seen the phrase CP experts over the last few days
I understand the need to follow so you can blame someone else if it don't work out
but gee wiz

Phobia
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I maintain that any effort to grade a 2012 draft in 2012 is ludicrous.

|Zach|
04-29-2012, 11:18 PM

I give this post a C+

jAZ
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Taking your analysis of the draft serious is ludicrous.

Any not-so-serious effort like this is exactly as ludicrous as any not-so-serious draft discussion on here generally.

HemiEd
04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey, we won the division again! Nice to see the Broncos and Raiders so far down the list.

The Dawg
04-30-2012, 02:08 PM

:clap:

HemiEd
04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
That's bull.

As usual, you are the exception.

King_Chief_Fan
04-30-2012, 02:16 PM
As usual, you are the exception.

he is a legend in his own mind

HemiEd
04-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Well haven't you heard? The Redskins are the champions, they gave up their future to get a QB, they know what they are doing.
They have tried every method, this has to work.

King_Chief_Fan
04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Did you own a pocket protector?
he does and he has his own check book with his own money.

ChiefRocka
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Talking about "value" picks is like saying nosebleed seats are great because "you can see the whole play develop"

Bottom line is nobody knows anything for one year.