PDA

View Full Version : Life Stamp Out Hunger

luv
05-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Stamp Out Hunger is May 12. Leave non-perishable food items in a bag by your mailbox, and letter carriers pick them up and deliver them to local food pantries. Items stay local.

If you have kids, you might check with their school to see if they are collecting food, too. Last year, when my dad volunteered to do the pick-ups at some of the schools, he went in to one and had a little girl he thought to be about 7 or 8 say, "I brought that macaroni and cheese." He thanked her for sharing.

It's a national event, so spread the word.

Otter
05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
If you can't feed kids don't have babies unless you plan on eating them.

Donger
05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Here's a fun figure: 46.3 million Americans are on food stamps.

Extra Point
05-01-2012, 07:44 AM

That comment came Swift.

Sofa King
05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMLzx_BZlGW5xuttJaunVzq1zkP5cG5RzT1xES5SaY4u7zGLp1AInETWecYQ

"Damn, it broke. Looks like I'm going to have to eat this kid..."

InChiefsHeaven
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Bring food items to your church...probably any time will do, not just once a year.

InChiefsHeaven
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM

Fun figure that, indeed.

luv
05-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Bring food items to your church...probably any time will do, not just once a year.

Since you obviously tithe at church, does that mean you don't give any money to charity?

luv
05-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Give or don't give. If you don't care, don't give. If you give to your church, great. I just thought I'd put a reminder out there. That's all.

tooge
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Lets do stamp out obesity instead. Only bring healthy stuff

InChiefsHeaven
05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Since you obviously tithe at church, does that mean you don't give any money to charity?

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound nasty. I was just saying that you can always bring food items to your church all year long and they will disperse them properly. Well, hopefully anyway.

Fairplay
05-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound nasty. I was just saying that you can always bring food items to your church all year long and they will disperse them properly. Well, hopefully anyway.

Yes. I gave my time at a food bank and church organizations were always dropping off food donations. It was humbling to be a part of it actually.

Lzen
05-01-2012, 09:16 AM
So you're saying the mail person is going to pick up all those food items? Sounds like a lot for them to be carrying around. I wonder if my kids' schools are doing anything.

InChiefsHeaven
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
So you're saying the mail person is going to pick up all those food items? Sounds like a lot for them to be carrying around. I wonder if my kids' schools are doing anything.

That was the other thing, how can they logistically carry all that stuff around?

luv
05-01-2012, 09:26 AM

They've done it every year for 20 years now. Not too big of a deal for those with driving routes. I think those that have walking routes do one street at a time, taking what they collect back to their mail truck before going to the next street if they need to. Everything goes back to the post office, gets weighed, and then gets taken to a local food pantry. They pick up the items from schools that kids have collected as well. Last year, nationally, letter carriers picked up 70.2 million lbs of food.

luv
05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
That was the other thing, how can they logistically carry all that stuff around?

Seriously? You guys think letter carriers head out on foot from the post office and have no other means of carrying things? I know people think letter carriers are brainless, lazy people, but come on.

luv
05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.nalc.org/commun/foodrive/

Canofbier
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM

What?! I've always wanted to be on a stamp; why didn't they ask me to be one of these people? :shake:

Honestly though, it's always a positive thing to donate food, so thanks for making this thread.