PDA

View Full Version : News KC Water-Price Gouge Two Years In A Row

BigChiefFan
05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Posted: 05/01/2012
Last Updated: 14 hours and 58 minutes ago

By: Chris Hernandez
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - May marks the start of a new fiscal year for Kansas City, Missouri.

That means your water bill is getting bigger

Laurie Brown uses a lot of water washing dogs in her one woman shop, The Groomery.

She's surprised to find out her water bill is going up 14 percent.

"I think that's a kind of a hard hit, all at once. It would have been nice if they'd thought ahead and did this over time," Brown said .

She knows the city had problems this past year with a record number of water main breaks - a break once forced her to close for a day.

Brown questioned how things got so out of hand: "Why hasn't this been managed up to this point? It's not like these things last forever."

Your water bill has three parts. Two are going up, again.

The water rate went up ten percent last year, while the sewer rate went up 15 percent.

This year, it's water up by 14 percent and sewer by 17 percent.

City officials say the water side of the rate increase pays for replacing and upgrading water mains to prevent future breaks and improve water pressure.

"Beyond the water quality, we have to be able to get it to you. And if it's running down the curb because of a water main break, that's not providing good service," said Terry Leeds, KCMO Water Services director. "So as our rates go higher, our service level needs to correspond,"

The sewer, or wastewater, part of the rate hike pays for the federally mandated sewer overhaul that will cost $2.5 billion over 25 years.

Which means you can expect double-digit rate increases for double-digit years.

The higher rates also affect many suburban areas, since KCMO sells water to many surrounding cities.

On the bright side, officials point out that the city has won many awards for water quality.

And again, the third section of your bill, the rate for stormwater services, is not going up this year.

Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/another-double-digit-water-rate-hike

Donger
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I Hate Big Water.

Fairplay
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Water bill is Kansas City's cash cow for taxes. I've been pissed about it also.

Here is an article- Plan emerges to cut KC's soaring water bills

But they want to pass a tax on water do do it. :spock:

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/plan-emerges-cut-kcs-soaring-water-bills/

BigChiefFan
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
They are basically ripping people off. I can understand an increase, but they know this is a big rate increase and have no problem pushing it through. Sign of the times with these greedy holes.

Donger
05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
How much do water bills run in KC anyway?

cookster50
05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Same thing with electricity every year, double digit rate increases.

Stewie
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/plan-emerges-cut-kcs-soaring-water-bills/

Jeebus! I pay $30 every two months in Johnson County.

BigChiefFan
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
"The monthly bill will have almost doubled in that short span — even though the average customer is using less water "

Bump
05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
If people start collecting rain water, they will make it illegal to do so.

gblowfish
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
It's not the cost of the water, its the cost of the sewer. They want to start overhauling the city sewer system, and that's going to cost billions.

alpha_omega
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
It's not the cost of the water, its the cost of the sewer. They want to start overhauling the city sewer system, and that's going to cost billions.

Yep...which, frankly should have done a long f'ing time ago.

Fish
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM

I've heard lots of people mention this. Sounds like it will be a pretty shitty overhaul...

Titty Meat
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
KC is ran by morons

Imon Yourside
05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
In Overland Park we pay separate Water/Wastewater and both have doubled in the last couple of years.

Inspector
05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Wonder how many others get to pay for the city sewers but not be hooked up to them.

I'm sure its totally understandable and justified though.

cosmo20002
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Seems hard to believe that a KCMO water bill could be very high.

For most households, the biggest water use comes from baths/showers, and from what I've seen, there's not a lot of that going on over there.