PDA

View Full Version : News Unseen video of Challenger explosion

Fire Me Boy!
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/new-challenger-video-space-shuttle-footage_n_1463495.html
http://www.5min.com/Video/Space-Shuttle-Challenger-Disaster-517353198

<div style='text-align:center'>

<object width='560' height='450' id='FiveminPlayer' classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000'>

<param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/>

<param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/>

<param name='movie' value='http://embed.5min.com/517353198/'/>

<param name='wmode' value='opaque' />

<embed name='FiveminPlayer' src='http://embed.5min.com/517353198/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='560' height='450' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' wmode='opaque'>

</embed>

</object>

<br/><a href='http://www.5min.com/Video/Space-Shuttle-Challenger-Disaster-517353198' style='font-family: Verdana;font-size: 10px;' target='_blank'>Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster</a>

</div>

Molitoth
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
lol the camera did a great job following the shuttle right until the point where it exploded....

gblowfish
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I was working on a radio station the day that happened, news came on in the middle of my shift. Remember it like it was yesterday. Very sad day.

Fire Me Boy!
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
lol the camera did a great job following the shuttle right until the point where it exploded....

Actually, it moves away right at the explosion, but comes back as the pieces diverge from the main smoke trail.

DMAC
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I was working on a radio station the day that happened, news came on in the middle of my shift. Remember it like it was yesterday. Very sad day.

5 years old sitting in my living room in Chicago. So excited to watch a shuttle launch. Watched it live. I remember just being very confused.

tomahawk kid
05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

I was in second grade old man.

LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

I was in second grade, and is really the first "event" memory I have. You know how people say they clearly remember when x happened - like JFK's assassination or whatever. That and 9/11 are mine.

Molitoth
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
It was still a sad video. The people in the background started crying.

tomahawk kid
I was in second grade, and is really the first "event" memory I have. You know how people say they clearly remember when x happened - like JFK's assassination or whatever. That and 9/11 are mine.

Same here.

siberian khatru
Jesus you guys are making me feel old. I was a sophomore in COLLEGE that day.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Flashbulb memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashbulb_memory

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Good, clear shot of the alien spaceship at the 4:20 mark.

Fire Me Boy!
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Flashbulb memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashbulb_memory

You're not kidding. I could take you to the seat I was sitting in at school.

The Dawg
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
The woman talking through the whole video pissed me off.

Very sad though.

tomahawk kid
05-02-2012, 02:18 PM

You didn't enjoy the narration by Mrs. Obvious?

big nasty kcnut
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Weird thing is that when it happen we didn't watch it at school. My brother told me after school thou we were in Houston at the time.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
You're not kidding. I could take you to the seat I was sitting in at school.

What's funny is details of your memory will change overtime, like your seat in school. However, you will be absolutely 100% sure it was the seat you were in.

Interesting phenomenon.

ChiTown
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Yeah, Ditto that. I was grabbing some breakfast in the kitchen of our Fraternity, and caught this all before heading out to class. Tragic.

journeyscarab
05-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Very sad though.

That's why I hate video taping anything...there is always one person who sees the camera and decides they are the official narrator for the video just in case what is taking place isn't very clear to the viewer.

kepp
05-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I was in 8th grade at the time sitting at a table in the lunchroom when the principal announced what had happened over the intercom. One of my friends just started laughing (to this day he has no idea why). He got detention for it.

The Dawg
That's why I hate video taping anything...there is always one person who sees the camera and decides they are the official narrator for the video just in case what is taking place isn't very clear to the viewer.

I would probably react in some way too.... witnessing something like that in person. She was just damn annoying.

The Franchise
Oh no, Steven!

kepp
05-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh no, Steven!

"Do you see the nose cone? It has to land in the water." ...like it's an Apollo rocket.

Thig Lyfe
05-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Can you imagine if that happened in mid-air?

Jenson71
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I was in 8th grade at the time sitting at a table in the lunchroom when the principal announced what had happened over the intercom. One of my friends just started laughing (to this day he has no idea why). He got detention for it.

Probably two weeks ago, Modern Family had an episode where the mom unconsciously smiles everytime she mentions death as her coping mechanism.

kepp
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Probably two weeks ago, Modern Family had an episode where the mom unconsciously smiles everytime she mentions death as her coping mechanism.

LOL...I saw that one. She's hot.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Yep. I was in the Navy. Had been taking a nap at lunch when it happened. Walked up through the lounge area of the berthing compartment above mine, everybody was staring at the TV with blank looks on their faces in dead silence. I was like, "What the fuck, it's just a shuttle launch," then I saw it blow up. They were watching a replay.

siberian khatru
05-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Yep. I was in the Navy. Had been taking a nap at lunch when it happened. Walked up through the lounge area of the berthing compartment above mine, everybody was staring at the TV with blank looks on their faces in dead silence. I was like, "What the ****, it's just a shuttle launch," then I saw it blow up. They were watching a replay.

I had just come back to my dorm room from class and flipped on the TV right after it happened. Needless to say, I skipped the rest of my classes that day and stayed glued to the tube.

05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I was in the hallway at my high school in my junior year. The rear walls for the classrooms were only 5 feet high at the hallway so we stopped to watch it at the science room. I'll never forget that day. Just like I'll never forget where I was for 9/11.

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Dude, I struggled for the entire time I lived in Germany to get one goddamned picture that didn't have a fucking Japanese tourist in it.

It's like they have to prove to people back home that they were actually there by standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the Brandenburger Tor and waving with that shit-eating grin on their face...

Frosty
05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I was working a job on the graveyard shift (four years after high school, you whippershappers), so was asleep when it happened. A friend called me to see if I had seen the news yet. Because I was half asleep and because he was a practical joker, it took me awhile to believe it.

The other shuttle disaster happened when my wife and I were coming back from Spokane after celebrating my birthday. :(

Frosty
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Dude, I struggled for the entire time I lived in Germany to get one goddamned picture that didn't have a ****ing Japanese tourist in it.

It's like they have to prove to people back home that they were actually there by standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the Brandenburger Tor and waving with that shit-eating grin on their face...

Ran into that in Vegas. LMAO

05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Dude, I struggled for the entire time I lived in Germany to get one goddamned picture that didn't have a ****ing Japanese tourist in it.

Easy resolution, don't take a picture of every thing you see.

scho63
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I was all packed and sitting in a tiki bar in Bora Bora during a rain storm when the bartender and a couple of people were all talking about it and I asked what happened and they told me the Challenger blew up. I remember it like it was yesterday....

Eerie 24 hour trip home.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I had just come back to my dorm room from class and flipped on the TV right after it happened. Needless to say, I skipped the rest of my classes that day and stayed glued to the tube.

That was January of '86, right? I was 21.

Fish
05-02-2012, 02:58 PM
That made me want to punch the lady right square in her Boston accent...

BillSelfsTrophycase
05-02-2012, 02:59 PM

GET OFF MY LAWN

05-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I didn't realize you are older than me.

InChiefsHeaven
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I was in 9th grade. We were supposed to watch it in class. They rolled in the TV and we got to watch the coverage of the explosion instead.

Funny, when she said she saw parachutes...I hadn't thought of it in a long time but I now remember wondering if they might have survived, bailed out somehow...it was 1986...just seemed logical I guess...

saphojunkie
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM

No shit, put your camera away and actually take in the sights. I'm pretty sure you can google a picture if you feel like seeing it again.

it's like all those assholes sneaking pictures of the sistine chapel. Like there aren't a million perfect photos readily available. Just shut the fuck up and actually appreciate standing there.

Frosty
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Me too. Turned 22 three days later.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I didn't realize you are older than me.

I'm young at heart. :D

05-02-2012, 03:14 PM

And now I feel just a tiny bit younger. :)

suds79
I was 7. Really should remember it but honestly don't.

Thig Lyfe

More like young at FART! Am I right fellas???

05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
More like young at FART! Am I right fellas???

Nope. He is a old fart. You know, that really horrible one that smells like it has festered for days and days.

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

ROFL

I lived there for almost a year and took MAYBE 200 pictures. I took pictures of very precious few things - what's left of the Berlin Wall, Neuschwanstein, the Lowenbrau beer garden, and so on.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Nope. He is a old fart. You know, that really horrible one that smells like it has festered for days and days.

I have Thig-tard on permanent ignore. Please don't quote his idiocy. The brain cells I lost from reading his posts are slowly starting to regenerate.

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
No shit, put your camera away and actually take in the sights. I'm pretty sure you can google a picture if you feel like seeing it again.

it's like all those assholes sneaking pictures of the sistine chapel. Like there aren't a million perfect photos readily available. Just shut the **** up and actually appreciate standing there.

GFY. I took in 10 times more castles, churches, and museums without my camera than I did with...

05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I have Thig-tard on permanent ignore. Please don't quote his idiocy. The brain cells I lost from reading his posts are slowly starting to regenerate.

So, quote him more. Got it. :evil:

05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
ROFL

I lived there for almost a year and took MAYBE 200 pictures. I took pictures of very precious few things - what's left of the Berlin Wall, Neuschwanstein, the Lowenbrau beer garden, and so on.

When I go somewhere I have never been before I find myself falling back into picture taking mode. usually I realize what I am doing after about 30 minutes and stop. Personally, I feel like if you are constantly behind a camera you are missing everything.

Garcia Bronco
05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I remember being home sick and watching it live. I called my mom's office and they didn't believe me.

tooge
05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I was in my dormroom. Probably stoned off my ass with lots of beer and doritos. It was still sad.

05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I remember being home sick and watching it live. I called my mom's office and they didn't believe me.

I went to tell my girlfriend between classes and she refused to believe me and accused me of pulling a very tasteless joke. Kind of pissed me off because I don't do that shit.

mikey23545
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Crap, I was 29...

I was peddling electronics back in those days and was standing in front of an entire wall of TVs at the time. Since I live in Central Florida, interest in the space program has always been very intense around here, and I had grown up worshiping astronauts and man's first steps on the moon. I was surrounded by a crowd of people as we all watched the disaster unfold.

I remember at first telling myself it just couldn't be what I thought it was, that it was just something strange about how the solid rocket boosters had separated or something.

The store was just dead silent as we all realized what we had witnessed...

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I was a senior in HS on my way to take a piss when my bio teacher came running down the hall announcing it. They set up TVs in the gym so we could all watch the coverage the rest of the day. No one could believe what was happening.

The next day I heard at least 10 challenger jokes :rolleyes:

05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Crap, I was 29...

I was peddling electronics back in those days and was standing in front of an entire wall of TVs at the time. Since I live in Central Florida, interest in the space program has always been very intense around here, and I had grown up worshiping astronauts and man's first steps on the moon. I was surrounded by a crowd of people as we all watched the disaster unfold.

I remember at first telling myself it just couldn't be what I thought it was, that it was just something strange about how the solid rocket boosters had separated or something.

The store was just dead silent as we all realized what we had witnessed...I always wanted to see one in person and almost got my wish in 1990 as I was in Orlando. The launch got moved at the last minute for the day after we left.

I can't even begin to imagine witnessing this particular even in person though.

Thig Lyfe
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I was a senior in HS on my way to take a piss when my bio teacher came running down the hall announcing it. They set up TVs in the gym so we could all watch the coverage the rest of the day. No one could believe what was happening.

Yeah, there's no space for humor at a time like that.

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I remember catching it on a television in the elementary school library. I think we were changing classes or something when it happened.

Garcia Bronco
05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I went to tell my girlfriend between classes and she refused to believe me and accused me of pulling a very tasteless joke. Kind of pissed me off because I don't do that shit.

I know right. It upset me that adults would think I would lie about something like that. My mother must have told them so story that made me be percieved that way. My mom was in a meeting at the time.

Donger
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Very cool, but I'd like to kick that yapping whore in the ****.

Donger
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

What was the last thing said on Challenger?

"Okay, let's let the women drive."

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah, there's no space for humor at a time like that.

It really blew my mind

05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
They all had dandruff too

Found head and shoulders all over the beach.
Forgive me.

Donger
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Why didn't the Challenger crew shower before the flight?

They knew they'd wash up on shore.

Thig Lyfe
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
It really blew my mind

I'd probably explode with anger if I heard somebody be so insensitive.

Hammock Parties
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Definitely looks like the government planted bombs on it.

9/11 proved

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
How many Astronauts can you fit in a VW bug? 12, 3 in the rear, 2 in front and 7 in the ashtray

Tribal Warfare
05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I remember watching this live when I was in kindergarten.

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd probably explode with anger if I heard somebody be so insensitive.

I fell to pieces when I heard of this tragedy

mikey23545
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I always wanted to see one in person and almost got my wish in 1990 as I was in Orlando. The launch got moved at the last minute for the day after we left.

I can't even begin to imagine witnessing this particular even in person though.

Yeah, I guess all I had to do was take a few steps out of the door and I could have seen it in person...Who knew something of such import was about to occur?

I guess I should be happy over the years to have witnessed things like the launch of Apollo 11, night launches of both a Saturn V (Un.Fuck.Ing.Believable) and a shuttle, etc...

Radar Chief
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I remember watching this live when I was in kindergarten.

:eek: I'm :skip:

bevischief
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I was in 5th grade when this happened. We stopped classed and jury rigged a tv to watch what was going on a few hours. I have seen a launch from Orlando, toured the Cape and have been behind the scenes at Houston and have seen Mission control and the pool where they trained for missions. Also have been behind the scenes at the Kansas Cosmosphere one of the few to see all 3 off site storage facilitates and what they have on site as well.

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I guess all I had to do was take a few steps out of the door and I could have seen it in person...Who knew something of such import was about to occur?

I guess I should be happy over the years to have witnessed things like the launch of Apollo 11, night launches of both a Saturn V (Un.Fuck.Ing.Believable) and a shuttle, etc...

Although I live on the west coast of Fl, if there were no clouds, I could see them launch from here. The night launches were the best!

mikey23545
05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Although I live on the west coast of Fl, if there were no clouds, I could see them launch from here. The night launches were the best!

Man, I wish you could have seen them from about 30 miles away!

The one nighttime launch of a Saturn V (quite a bit larger than a shuttle) was night turned into day.

05-02-2012, 04:11 PM

I guess I should be happy over the years to have witnessed things like the launch of Apollo 11, night launches of both a Saturn V (Un.****.Ing.Believable) and a shuttle, etc...

Not that I would want to live in Florida, it's a nice place to visit, I do envy you for seeing all that.

FlaChief58
05-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Man, I wish you could have seen them from about 30 miles away!

The one nighttime launch of a Saturn V (quite a bit larger than a shuttle) was night turned into day.

I can only imagine. I wish I could have seen one that close. To me they are the pinnacle of human accomplishments to this point. Whenever they launched, you can bet my eyes were on the eastern sky.

mikey23545
05-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I can only imagine. I wish I could have seen one that close. To me they are the pinnacle of human accomplishments to this point. Whenever they launched, you can bet my eyes were on the eastern sky.

You will get no argument from me. :toast:

DJay23
05-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Same here.

Yep, 2nd grade. Stayed home sick with my first flu. I was very confused about what had happened.

JOhn
05-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Shit I was 19...you old fart

The Dawg
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I wasn't born. So bam. Feel old you ******* :)

Brando
05-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Shouldn't this have been posted in the Cabletech94's "Pick Me Up" thread?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I was 27. I was working on one of Ross Perots helicopters in Fort Worth Texas.

gblowfish
05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
1986 I was 27 and two years out of grad school. Working in Radio and TV in Columbia, MO. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago, really.

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
1986 I was 27 and two years out of grad school. Working in Radio and TV in Columbia, MO. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago, really.

It doesn't to me either. The older you get, the faster the years fly by.

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
It doesn't to me either. The older you get, the faster the years fly by.

I watched an episode of "through the wormhole" w Morgan freeman and the subject was "time" . Man it was a trip. Love that series

JD10367
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Is this some sort of big news? That video quality sucked balls and showed nothing different from the news footage. (Although I still remember the official NASA commentator--the dude who does the countdown and then adds color commentary after that--with the understatement of the century, something like, "There seems to have been some sort of malfunction".)

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I watched an episode of "through the wormhole" w Morgan freeman and the subject was "time" . Man it was a trip. Love that series

Me too. I watch the Science channel all the time.

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm addicted that channel. And the series about the universe, stars, etc.

Just last weekend we saw two shows at the planetarium. One about the space race and one about the universe. Excellent. We visit the planetarium about ten times a yr

The Dawg
05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Me too. I watch the Science channel all the time.

So much better than all these pawn shows , duck hunting shows, tow truck shows, alligator shows, storage shed shows etc... TV blows in general

mlyonsd
05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Is this some sort of big news? That video quality sucked balls and showed nothing different from the news footage. (Although I still remember the official NASA commentator--the dude who does the countdown and then adds color commentary after that--with the understatement of the century, something like, "There seems to have been some sort of malfunction".)It isn't big news other than hearing a description from people on the ground.

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
So much better than all these pawn shows , duck hunting shows, tow truck shows, alligator shows, storage shed shows etc... TV blows in general

Yup. I have a favorites list set up on my dtv. Consists of history channels, discovery, science channel, smithsonian, nfln, national geograpic , and military.

I can literally find something to watch on those channels at any time.

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm addicted that channel. And the series about the universe, stars, etc.

Just last weekend we saw two shows at the planetarium. One about the space race and one about the universe. Excellent. We visit the planetarium about ten times a yr

As a matter of fact, there is a cool show on science channel right now . A robot that learns and teaches itself. Awsome

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:42 PM
As a matter of fact, there is a cool show on science channel right now . A robot that learns and teaches itself. Awsome

Switching channels...

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Crap it's over now.

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
It's ok. I just found a documentary type show about cocaine

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh this should be ok. The exo skeleton for paralyzed people.

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm in washington with Directv, probably different schedules.

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Cool. Watching that now

TimeForWasp
05-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I think we hijacked this thread. LOL

Dayze
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
That reminds me,... I think there is a show about hijacking coming up. Lol

Ebolapox
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Can you imagine if that happened in mid-air?

several gentle souls left us that day.

Lumpy
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Gotta love volume control. LMAO

I was in 4th grade when this happened. I remember our teacher rolling the media cart w/ the bulky tube tv into the room. She had all of us move our desks and everyone sat on the floor. I recall staring at the tube, bored out of my mind, then the explosion happened. A bunch of the kids in my class stood up, began screaming, and making a fuss over it. I was just in shock and couldn't keep my eyes off of the tv.

Shortly after the incident, our principal came over the loudspeaker and asked for a moment of silence for the 7 who perished. I will never forget that day.

markd2000
05-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I think you all are missing the significance of that video. Here you have everyday people watching with great anticipation and enthusiastic support for the school teacher (even if annoying) and the excitement continues to grow after launch. At the point of explosion, there is first confusion, then hope, followed by denial and finally the sad realization. At that point the only thing they could do was pray for their souls. I was 31 at a worldwide sales and marketing meeting in Hawaii. About the same timeframe the Chicago Bears and The Fridge were doing their Superbowl jig on TV.

Fairplay
05-03-2012, 01:02 AM

I worked nights at the time so i slept through it all. Then woke up and turned on the news. Took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.