PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink BBQ in the south sucks~

Pages : [1] 2

RNR
05-05-2012, 08:36 AM
The BBQ down here is simply terrible. Beef is looked at as inferior and pulled pork is the main thing. Their BBQ sauce is vinegar based and tastes like ass. I guess that is why they consume so much sweet tea to wash it down. I heard someone call sweet tea "brown koolaid" which is a better name for it. One of the things I miss about midwest is the BBQ~

AndChiefs
05-05-2012, 08:37 AM
You aren't kidding. Although they do a lot of beef over here in Texas it sucks here as well.

Don't tell them though.

blaise
05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Pulled pork in vinegar based sauce is awesome.

jspchief
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah the meat in texas is shit quality. I'm spoiled by the midwest.

BigRedChief
05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
It's for shit and they think its fantastic.

RNR
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM

I guess it depends what you grew up eating. I have tried it a handful of times on pork and beef. I hate the taste of vinegar based sause~

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Its horrible.

the Talking Can
05-05-2012, 08:47 AM

this

georgia is the retard of bbq...and they love that shit

PunkinDrublic
05-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't think Texas que is horrible, it just can't hold up to KC. Not even close. I stopped having arguments with Texans about it you can't convince them.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Puke

blaise
05-05-2012, 08:51 AM
The pulled pork at Oklahoma Joe's is basically Carolina style bbq. You mean to say you don't like that, there? It's awesome.

jspchief
05-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Pulled pork in vinegar based sauce is awesome.I agree. It's very good.

No, it's not what you might typically call BBQ sauce, but it's kick ass on a pulled pork sandwich.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2012, 08:53 AM
The pulled pork at Oklahoma Joe's is basically Carolina style bbq. You mean to say you don't like that, there? It's awesome.

I'm in Ohio. Ok Joe's wasn't open when I lived in KC.

R8RFAN
05-05-2012, 09:05 AM
The BBQ down here is simply terrible. Beef is looked at as inferior and pulled pork is the main thing. Their BBQ sauce is vinegar based and tastes like ass. I guess that is why they consume so much sweet tea to wash it down. I heard someone call sweet tea "brown koolaid" which is a better name for it. One of the things I miss about midwest is the BBQ~

Eastern NC BBQ sucks, try some Lexington Style... But hey, if you are hooked on those sweet sauces you will not like any of it here...

Only thing sweet here is the tea and the peach cobbler

R8RFAN
05-05-2012, 09:06 AM
I guess it depends what you grew up eating. I have tried it a handful of times on pork and beef. I hate the taste of vinegar based sause~

Not called sauce it's called dip.... It's thin as water and is not supposed to drown the meat...

Setsuna
05-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Fuck you bitch.

Dave Lane
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Pulled pork in vinegar based sauce is like ATM.

fyp

In58men
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
There isn't shit for BBQ places here in my town. Famous Dave's and they fucking suck.

blaise
fyp

I've never tasted meat that was ATM, so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Dave Lane

No not close our you haven't actually eaten NC BBQ in NC. Its watery with pepper and nasty

blaise
05-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Try growing up in NY state like I did. They think BBQ is hot dogs.

blaise
05-05-2012, 09:16 AM
No not close our you haven't actually eaten NC BBQ in NC. Its watery with pepper and nasty

I've had it a few times, and I lived in VA and they mostly serve what would be their version of Carolina style BBQ. It's probably been 10 years or so, but I don't remember it being too much different.

Dave Lane
05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Try growing up in NY state like I did. They think BBQ is hot dogs.

OK thats funny

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I've always preferred Memphis style BBQ to everything else... And yeah, I lived in Kansas City for 2 years.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I think I've mentioned this more than a few times. I've found a small handful of places in SC and AL that do a decent smoke, but you MUST order the food dry.

SuperChief
05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
My girlfriend's family is from NC, so about two times a year they make a Carolina BBQ feast. To me, the vinegar overwhelms the palate. It's just so different from any traditional Midwestern BBQ that I'm used to.

And to echo previous sentiments, those Texas ****s think EVERYTHING is gold in that shit state. Tends to get annoying when you interact with one often.

blaise
05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I've lived in the Dallas area for 2 years and have also lived in Houston for 3. KC BBQ is better. It's ok here, but I never felt like they were as passionate about it as KC is.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 10:04 AM
For the record, I've never had outstanding Q in SC or AL. However, had some damn fine Q in Austin and Memphis. But nothin' beats good ol' KC (or my homemade Q).

gblowfish
05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I understand Dreamland BBQ in Alabama is very good. NC actually has two different types of BBQ. Texas is closer in style to KC. I like Stubbs BBQ Sauce from Texas. Memphis style is good too, I've been to the Rendevous, Corky's and Neely's there.

But I'll put Arthur Bryants, Gates, Okla Joe, LC's and Fiorella's Smoke Stack up against anybody on the planet.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I understand Dreamland BBQ in Alabama is very good. NC actually has two different types of BBQ. Texas is closer in style to KC. I like Stubbs BBQ Sauce from Texas. Memphis style is good too, I've been to the Rendevous, Corky's and Neely's there.

But I'll put Arthur Bryants, Gates, Okla Joe, LC's and Fiorella's Smoke Stack up against anybody on the planet.

Meh. Been to a couple different Dreamlands. They do a pretty good job with sausage, but their sauce is gross. Yes, NC does a vinegar/pepper sauce, as well as a mustard sauce. The mustard sauce may be the only thing more disgusting than the vinegar sauce.

Agreed, KC and Texas are fairly close; main thing is KC sauce is much sweeter. I've been to Neely's and The Barbecue Shack there, both were quite good.

And I'm on record here several times, Jack Stack in KC isn't as good as everyone thinks. Decent food, but it ain't all that. And I'm very vocal about my disdain for what they call burnt ends. Fuck them.

Predarat
05-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Where exactly are you? In Nashville its about the same thing, what the call BBQ is not what I would call BBQ. There are some decent places, but you have to go hunting for them and even then they do not hold a candle to KC BBQ.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
The worst thing about Texas BBQ is how arrogant they are about it.

Of course Texans are arrogant about everything they think they invented.

blaise
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Texas pride, baby. They even say a pledge to the Texas flag at school here.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Not me. I never pledged. Homey didn't play that shit.

Thanks Jehovah.

boogblaster
05-05-2012, 10:48 AM
kc bbq is the best ... now carry on .....

Reaper16
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Tuscaloosa is a pretty legit bbq town. Dreamland is content to rest on its past glory, gblowfish. However, Archibald's and Archibald & Woodrow's are fucking awesome; best BBQ in the deep south. Their vinegar & pepper based sauce is so so good.

Neither would be top 10 places in Kansas City, though.

Bump
05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I've had very good southern BBQ, there was one place that had the best sauce and it was vinegar based. Tried making it at home but it wasn't nearly as good.

sd4chiefs
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
The worst BBQ in KC is better than the best BBQ in San Diego.

peckergnat
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Not only do their BBQ suck in the south, they also do stupid crap like putting coleslaw on your BBQ sandwich. WTF?

Hammock Parties
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM

http://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/steve_bono_-_cwa.jpg

Canofbier
05-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Not only do their BBQ suck in the south, they also do stupid crap like putting coleslaw on your BBQ sandwich. WTF?

That actually sounds pretty good, if you ask me.

Predarat
05-05-2012, 11:15 AM
The good thing about Texas BBQ is the sauce, if its made right that is. A little more hot and spicy then normal sauce.

Infidel Goat
05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Best BBQ I've had in NC: http://12bones.com/

It's in Asheville.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
tried some BBQ in Memphis once, it was OK, but it was nothing like KC BBQ

Valiant
05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I've lived in the Dallas area for 2 years and have also lived in Houston for 3. KC BBQ is better. It's ok here, but I never felt like they were as passionate about it as KC is.

That is because BBQ enthusiast reign supreme in KC.. The KC BBQ circuit is the biggest.. I am lucky and get to take and learn from the Munchin Hogs Team.. You literally come to appreciate their knowledge.. They seriously can talk for hours about just the smoking chips..

They travel all over the country and cook BBQ in the regions style on how they like it..

You have no idea how good some of the meat is from grand champions.. I need to become a judge..

Valiant
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
That actually sounds pretty good, if you ask me.

Suzie Q's in Gladstone off of antioch does that.. I did not like their sauce or smoke they used on the pulled pork..

Bump
05-05-2012, 11:30 AM

yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Open up your pallets people! Don't be so afraid to try new things.

Red Dawg
05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
It does here in ARK. One decent place in NLR called the Whole Hog Cafe. That place is pretty good but is nothing compared to KC joints.

gblowfish
05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Where my mom lives in Hot Springs, AR, there's several BBQ places. Stubby's, McClard's (Bubba Clinton's favorite), Smokin In Style, and Chuck's.

McClards also does tamales.

Here's Chuck's facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chucks-Barbecue/285340358912
It's a shotgun shack with stars and bars everywhere, so to a Yankee it's a little scary. But he's a rock n roller, kind of like if Lynyrd Skynyrd started a BBQ place.

All are pretty tasty, but none are KC class.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Arkansas has plenty of great BBQ joints.

And Whole Hog isn't bad. It's a chain, though. Locations all over the place.

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=3854

The Arkansas BBQ Trail

The Southern Foodways Alliance, an organization based at Ole Miss that does much to shine a spotlight on Southern food, has launched its Arkansas BBQ Trail, a collection of oral histories.

Arkansas is part of the larger Southern BBQ Trail, which can be found at www.southernbbqtrail.com.

I was honored to be asked by the folks at SFA to write the introduction for our state. I’m in good company.

Other introductions were written by Jake York for Alabama, Tom Freeland for Mississippi, John Shelton Reed for North Carolina, Robb Walsh for Texas and James Veteto and Ted Maclin for Tennessee — great Southern writers and thinkers all.

Veteto and Maclin are the men responsible for the book mentioned in the previous Southern Fried blog post — “The Slaw and the Slow Cooked.”

Arkansas is the sixth state for which there are oral histories. The Southern BBQ Trail is a work in progress, so other interviews will be transcribed over time.

For now, these Arkansas interviews are featured on the site:

– Kyle McClard of McClard’s Bar-B-Q in Hot Springs

– Robert Craig of Craig’s Bar-B-Q in DeValls Bluff

– Chris Dunkel of Stubby’s Bar-B-Q in Hot Springs

– Chris Newman of The Rack Pack competitive team and catering operation in Jonesboro

– Jim, Nora and Barry Vaughn of J&N Barbecue in Bono

– Carolyn Johnson of Big Johnson’s (a restaurant) and Little Johnson’s (a barbecue trailer) in Wynne

McClard’s and Craig’s are the two most famous barbecue joints in the state.

Stubby’s is also well known (I walked over there for ribs after watching the Rebel Stakes earlier this spring).

The others are not as well known, but the Southern BBQ Trail seeks to shine a light on all types of pitmasters and barbecue establishments.

Let’s take them one at a time.

The website says of McClard’s: “McClard’s Bar-B-Q was founded in 1928 by Gladys and Alex McClard, who started their business by smoking goats, not hogs. Gradually, goat was phased out, and pork, as well as beef, made the menu.”

I hate it that goat was phased out. I love to partake of cabrito when I visit my wife’s relatives in far south Texas.

“Kyle McClard, pitmaster and Gladys and Alex’s great-grandson, represents the fourth generation to work in the family business in Hot Springs,” the website states.

Interviewed in the building on Albert Pike that has housed the restaurant since 1942, Kyle McClard said of the sauce: “They think it not too — too spicy; it’s not too vinegary. It doesn’t have very much of a vinegary taste to it. The recipe is actually still locked in a safe in a bank downtown.”

The website says of Craig’s: “Robert Craig is carrying on the tradition that was started by his father, Lawrence Craig, a former cook on a Mississippi River boat, and his uncle Wes. The Craigs opened Craig Brothers Cafe in the segregated South of 1947.

“Three generations have supplied many satisfied customers with a variety of smoked meats, most notably smoked and sliced pork sandwiches slathered with a sauce made with hints of apple and bell pepper. Their signature sauce was developed over the kitchen table of the Craig family home.”

Robert Craig told the interviewer: “My mom was just in the kitchen one day, putting a little bit of this and putting a little bit of that together. And my dad said, ‘Well yeah; it tastes all right.’ And so he obviously introduced it to the public, and it has been skyrocketing ever since.”

The website notes that Robert Craig has been working at the restaurant alongside U.S. Highway 70 “from the age of three or four. Eventually, he went to college, but in 1997, Robert accompanied his father to the Smithsonian Festival of American Folklife, where Lawrence Craig’s barbecue was being celebrated as a Delta tradition.

“Today, Robert oversees the operation of Craig’s in partnership with his cousin, as well as long-time family friends, the Sirats.”

The website says of Stubby’s on Central Avenue in Hot Springs: “In 1952, Richard Stubblefield Sr. opened Stubby’s Bar-B-Q. In 1976, the Dunkel family moved from New York to Arkansas. A year later, they purchased Stubby’s Bar-B-Q.

“Chris Dunkel has been a part of the team at Stubby’s ever since, doing everything from waiting tables and working the pit to making Stubby’s distinct sugary-sweet sauce.”

Dunkel described Stubby’s barbecue this way in an interview: “It’s a meld between Tennessee and Texas because you have both the beef influence and the pork influence. And, of course, we do it better than both states, so they come here to enjoy it.”

The website states: “Chris’ business sense coupled with the restaurant’s prime location across from the Oaklawn racetrack has ensured a long and successful run. The restaurant was rebuilt after a pit fire in 2007 but has enjoyed continued success.

“They make a sweet tomato-and-vinegar sauce that they serve with beef, pork, ham, ribs and chicken. Specialties of the house include pit-smoked potatoes and pots of beans.”

Newman’s Rack Pack at Jonesboro will cater almost any type of event.

The website states: “Chris Newman has been raising hogs his entire life. He grew up on a farm in the southern Missouri Ozarks where his parents parlayed their experience raising quality pork into a thriving business with Newman Farms heritage Berkshire hogs.

“Chris still helps with the family business, although his time is mostly spent in Jonesboro, where he is co-conspirator in the Rack Pack, an award-winning barbecue team and catering company.

“Chris brings with him an understanding of where the food he produces comes from and how the different ways of raising and slaughtering hogs can affect his end result. His experiences have offered a unique perspective on barbecue that includes everything from the hoof on the ground to the sandwich on the plate.”

Newman told an interviewer: “When you grow up on a hog farm, you’re always exposed to barbecue, I guess. So that’s been a lifelong thing for me.”

If you love rural barbecue joints as much as I do, the photo on the website of J&N Barbecue at Bono — a shack with the wood piled at the side of the building — will make you hungry just looking at it.

“After suffering a back injury, Jim Vaughn made the shift from mechanic to barbecue pitmaster and opened J&N with his wife, Nora, in 1996,” the website states. “The couple had provided smoked meats and sides for community gatherings for years, so opening a restaurant didn’t seem like too much of a jump. Their small red-and-white trailer has been serving the greater Jonesboro community ever since.

“Barry Vaughn is Jim and Nora’s grandson and the third generation to work at J&N. Barry does most of the barbecuing these days, smoking everything from ribs to butts. He also smokes wild game — turkey, deer and even raccoons — for local hunters. Jim and Nora have attended coon suppers all their lives, so it wasn’t long before smoked raccoon became a J&N tradition.”

Vaughn said of his grandparents in an interview last year: “This is all they do. They eat and live barbecue. They’re here six days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., so there ain’t much life other than barbecue for them.”

The website says of Big Johnson’s and Little Johnson’s at Wynne: “It was 1972 when Carolyn Johnson, a farm wife, decided that she wanted to work outside the home. She answered an ad in the paper that brought her to Chuck’s Barbecue in Wynne, and within a couple of years, she and her late husband purchased what is now called Big Johnson’s. The family always worked the restaurant. She recalls that two generations have napped on the chest freezer in the back.

“In 2003, Carolyn suffered grease burns on a large part of her body while working at the restaurant. Her employees doused her with yellow mustard to help with the burns until medical help arrived.

“She was out of service for two years. Today, Carolyn has taken a back seat, and her son and grandchildren run the day-to-day operation of not only Big Johnson’s but also a Johnson’s Fish House and Diner and the barbecue trailer, Little Johnson’s.”

She told an interviewer last year, “We make our own barbecue sauce and then for the hot, hot barbecue sauce we add cayenne red pepper to it. … We make our own slaw. It has mustard and mayonnaise, black pepper, sugar and that’s it.”

Go to the Southern BBQ Trail website if you want hours of enjoyable reading. Just be prepared to get hungry in the process.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Also, if you want to actually try some joints with some history in the South, then check out http://www.southernbbqtrail.com/ and browse by state. It's like an actual ethnographic, academic (but highly interesting) study of BBQ. I think Reaper16 might contribute or just know contributors to it.

The Arkansas section is here:
http://www.southernbbqtrail.com/arkansas/index.shtml

Here's the introduction to Arkansas BBQ:

NC BBQ

NC BBQ

Go to the Arkansas Oral Histories»

Introduction By Rex Nelson

When Wayne Shadden, a famed barbecue cook from the Arkansas Delta, died in May 2010, his obituary in The Daily World at Helena told us a lot in just a few words about the Arkansas barbecue culture. It read: “Wayne was a good cook and well-known for his barbecue. He was a Navy veteran, a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion.”

For true barbecue aficionados, Wayne Shadden was more than that. He was one of the masters. People would hear about Shadden’s tiny grocery store on U.S. Highway 49 near Marvell and drive from miles around to try his barbecue. If you ate in the store, there was a single table in the back you could share with those who were on their own barbecue pilgrimages. The understated style of Shadden’s obituary perfectly reflects the understated approach of Arkansans to barbecue.

Arkansas is a fringe state, not solely a part of any one region. It’s a state that’s mostly Southern but also a bit Midwestern and a tad Southwestern. Northwest Arkansas is far different from southeast Arkansas. Northeast Arkansas doesn’t have much in common with southwest Arkansas.

The strongest barbecue area of the state is the Delta region of east Arkansas. The barbecue is pork here (beef has crept from Texas into parts of southwest Arkansas), though the sauces vary from place to place. At Craig’s in DeValls Bluff along U.S. Highway 70, you’ll walk into the ramshackle building and immediately be asked if you want your barbecue mild, medium or hot. Most of the regulars go the medium route. The crowd here is a mixture of locals, hunters from Little Rock and Memphis when duck season is in progress and those who are wise enough to get off Interstate 40 and find their way to DeValls Bluff.

In Marianna, meanwhile, Jones Bar-B-Q is situated in an old house in a residential area. Jones has been around since at least the early 1900s. While it’s hard to determine the exact year it opened, there are some people who believe it’s the oldest continually operated African American-owned restaurant in the South.

Up in the far northeast corner of the state, you can find the Dixie Pig at Blytheville. For more than 70 years, the “pig sandwiches” here have drawn people from as far away as Memphis and the Missouri Bootheel.

It’s common for restaurants to use the name “pig” in a state where the beloved athletic teams at the University of Arkansas go by “Razorbacks” and people “call the Hogs” at football games. Not only is there a Dixie Pig in Blytheville, there’s a different restaurant with the same name in North Little Rock. The oldest barbecue joint in central Arkansas is the White Pig in a working-class neighborhood of North Little Rock. The venerable Pig Pit at Arkadelphia changed its name to Fat Boys a few years back.

While east Arkansas is widely regarded as barbecue country, the most famous barbecue restaurant in the state is likely McClard’s in the southwest Arkansas resort city of Hot Springs. Given the fact that Bill Clinton grew up in Hot Springs, McClard’s has received some media attention through the years. That attention is deserved, even in a barbecue-rich city that has other quality barbecue establishments with names like Purity and Stubby’s.

Alex and Gladys McClard owned the Westside Tourist Court in the 1920s. When a traveler could not come up with $10 he owed them, he asked the couple to accept a recipe for barbecue sauce instead. By 1928, the Westside Tourist Court was Westside Bar-B-Q with barbecued goat as the featured item on the menu. McClard’s moved to its present location in 1942 and hasn’t changed much since, though the goat has disappeared from the list of entrees.

People from outside of Arkansas, incidentally, think Bill Clinton came from Hope. He was born in Hope but moved to Hot Springs as a young child. Clinton finished elementary school, junior high school and high school in Hot Springs. For Arkansans, he was always considered to be a Hot Springs product. Suddenly, during the 1992 presidential campaign, he became the “man from Hope” when consultants determined that “I still believe in a place called Hot Springs” just didn’t have the same ring to it.

It’s another example of how Arkansas, a state of many contradictions, confounds outsiders. The same goes for its barbecue. Define Arkansas barbecue, you say? Impossible. Just hush your mouth and eat, the Arkansan will tell you.

JoeyChuckles
05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
My company in Phoenix brought in BBQ yesterday for lunch, and they all acted like it was the greatest thing ever. Phoenix BBQ.

Bump
05-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Some of you people remind me of my friends step dad. He had to have surgery because he never ate a vegetable or fruit or anything other than meat and potatoes basically. He couldn't shit for over a week and I think he almost died. I believe he is still so scared to try something new or a vegetable that he hasn't changed. He's your typical, small town kansas moron.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 12:54 PM

No kidding. I heard there is this really horrible BBQ joint that puts onion rings on their BBQ sandwiches. How blasphemous!

Kidd Lex
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Im a displaced Kansas Citian living in Baltimore and everyone here raves about "the worlds best bbq" at an urban hole in the wall called The Big Bad Wolf. A few days ago I risked life and limb to try the place, (think The Wire) and get some decent bbq, and even ordered there signature sandwich with their homemade "spicy KC" sauce on smoked brisket. I left dissapointed at the taste, texture, & quality. Maybe great for B-more, but I wont be forgetting home anytime soon.

Kidd Lex
05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
No kidding. I heard there is this really horrible BBQ joint that puts onion rings on their BBQ sandwiches. How blasphemous!

Mouth watering, the Z-man is epic.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Mouth watering, the Z-man is epic.

No way. It's not pure. It's not traditional. It's not the KC way. It must suck!

KCUnited
05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
It's not the onion ring that's blasphemous, it's the cheese, but it's smoked so its acceptable.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2012, 01:51 PM

lol.. that's the only way I'll eat a BBQ sammich... ya fuckin n00b

KC native
05-05-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't think Texas que is horrible, it just can't hold up to KC. Not even close. I stopped having arguments with Texans about it you can't convince them.

Unless they've been to KC. I've given people lists of places to go when I find out they're going to be there. Almost everyone single one has said I was right. One of my good friend's dad down here called his son a retard in front of me for arguing that Texas bbq is better than KC.

Kidd Lex
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Unless they've been to KC. I've given people lists of places to go when I find out they're going to be there. Almost everyone single one has said I was right. One of my good friend's dad down here called his son a retard in front of me for arguing that Texas bbq is better than KC.

Took 3 Texans to Ok Joes and the (Broncos/Chiefs game) & those fuckers still talk about "that time in kc when we had the best food known to man." They can be convinced, it just takes a trip up I-35.

Chief Roundup
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Vinegar based BBQ is the worst.

Darien25
05-05-2012, 02:32 PM

The same can be said for Denver as well. The BBQ is just awful here. Most places I have been to serve a sour, vinegar based sauce. Famous Daves is the only place to get edible BBQ and I consider them to be average at best.

WV
05-05-2012, 02:36 PM
It's all about perspective. I prefer Texas style BBQ, for one region to say another region is horrible is more about personal taste than anything else.

suzzer99
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I've always preferred Memphis style BBQ to everything else... And yeah, I lived in Kansas City for 2 years.

Can you please make this your sig so I can know to ignore all future opinions? :p

MatriculatingHank
05-05-2012, 04:32 PM
http://downtheroad.tunicatravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/p540191-Memphis-Charlie_Rendezvous.jpg

If we had an NFL team in Memphis, we'd kick your ass.

MagicHef
05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I just moved to Houston from Colorado, and I am pretty unimpressed with the food down here in general, not just BBQ. It's not like Fort Collins is NY or SF, but it seems like there's a pretty noticable difference in the quality of food.

Also, nothing down here is spicy. At all.

Dave Lane
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM

That's the thing I hate most about it. JFC what is that

Dave Lane
05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
http://downtheroad.tunicatravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/p540191-Memphis-Charlie_Rendezvous.jpg

If we had an NFL team in Memphis, we'd kick your ass.

I tried Memphis barbecue twice I tried to give it a chance really I did however it was just meh. Never tried the place on the sign though maybe that's the only good place in Memphis

Dave Lane
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
lol.. that's the only way I'll eat a BBQ sammich... ya ****in n00b

I'm afraid you've outed yourself as a complete moran.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-05-2012, 06:05 PM
That's the thing I hate most about it. JFC what is that

Sounds like a way to ruin some good Q or u can say it's the only way to stomach shit Q.

blaise
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Cole slaw on pulled pork is great. That's the best sandwich at Oklahoma Joe's.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 06:35 PM
This is an insane bizarre concept but.... The world and our lives might just be big enough to accommodate more than one style of BBQ. Crazy I know. But it just might be possible.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
This is an insane bizarre concept but.... The world and our lives might just be big enough to accommodate more than one style of BBQ. Crazy I know. But it just might be possible.

http://www.kyrene.org/staff/hraaf/images/Tumbleweed.gif

RNR
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Arkansas has plenty of great BBQ joints.

And Whole Hog isn't bad. It's a chain, though. Locations all over the place.

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=3854

I have had BBQ in Arkansas several times and enjoyed it. It tastes nothing like the BBQ in east Carolina~

RNR
05-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Where exactly are you? In Nashville its about the same thing, what the call BBQ is not what I would call BBQ. There are some decent places, but you have to go hunting for them and even then they do not hold a candle to KC BBQ.

Kinston North Carolina~

RNR
05-05-2012, 07:41 PM
**** you bitch.

Who in the fuck is this clown?

Setsuna
05-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Who in the **** is this clown?

A southerner. Deal with it.

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2012, 08:48 PM
They're both good, I had BBQ in Austin and thought it was fantastic. Just different sauces.

Miles
05-05-2012, 09:08 PM
The same can be said for Denver as well. The BBQ is just awful here. Most places I have been to serve a sour, vinegar based sauce. Famous Daves is the only place to get edible BBQ and I consider them to be average at best.

I never really found a great place the but there are a few decent option. Yazoo (Downtown and another on Arapahoe) and Moe's (Broadway) are fairly decent places. The Moe's brisket is pretty inconsistent but can be pretty good and I liked their sauce. Their pulled pork is more consistent.

Miles
05-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Central TX (Lockhart) seems to be where they are more passionate about BBQ. The super fatty brisket they tend to like is just not my thing.

Still do rather enjoy some of the places in the DFW area (the Dallas part his shit BBQ). Had some Hard Eight earlier tonight that was pretty damn good despite their mediocre sauce.

Bewbies
05-05-2012, 10:02 PM
this

georgia is the retard of bbq...and they love that shit

Yes it is. Finding good BBQ here is like finding someone from Tennessee with more than 5 teeth.

RJ
05-05-2012, 10:20 PM

I grew up on neither and love them both.

Hope you are well, RNR!

Raiderhater
05-06-2012, 12:46 AM

Had some people in from Arkansas at the last place I worked down in East Texas. The sick f#cks requested coleslaw on their chili cheese dogs. I wanted to vomit.

Simply Red
05-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Dreamland in Norcross = sucks
Old Brick pit = sucks
pig n chick = garbage
Sonny's = turds

The best I've had in Georgia was when Corkys out of Memphis had a location in Duluth. The best I've had in the south was Sticky Fingers in Greenville, NC.

But overall it's mostly garbage in my experiences

beer bacon
05-06-2012, 02:32 AM
That's it. I'm getting Oklahoma Joe's tomorrow.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2012, 04:45 AM

my favorite BBQ.

icepick64
05-06-2012, 04:52 AM
I just went on a mini BBQ tour in Raleigh, nc. The hole in the wall places do some good vinegar based chopped pork!

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2012, 04:58 AM
My biggest gripe with Texas BBQ is that the featured menu item is brisket, and pulled pork isn't commonly served. Brisket can be quite tasty, but I've truly enjoyed < 50% of the brisket I've had. I Love pulled pork, but less than half of the local joints serve it.

RNR
05-06-2012, 06:51 AM
A southerner. Deal with it.

LMAO whatever

RNR
05-06-2012, 06:54 AM
I grew up on neither and love them both.

Hope you are well, RNR!

Howdy my old friend. Things are good. I hope they are with you as well~

RNR
05-06-2012, 07:04 AM
My biggest gripe with Texas BBQ is that the featured menu item is brisket, and pulled pork isn't commonly served. Brisket can be quite tasty, but I've truly enjoyed < 50% of the brisket I've had. I Love pulled pork, but less than half of the local joints serve it.
I was mainly speaking about the BBQ in the area along the eastern coast. It was posted in jest. As I have said it depends on your taste. I don't like sweet tea either. I also drink my coffee black. Everyone has different tastes. I just happen to like Midwest style BBQ~

NewChief
05-06-2012, 07:30 AM
I was mainly speaking about the BBQ in the area along the eastern coast. It was posted in jest. As I have said it depends on your taste. I don't like sweet tea either. I also drink my coffee black. Everyone has different tastes. I just happen to like Midwest style BBQ~

I'm a southerner and dislike sweet tea though I drink tons of unsweetened. Worse than real sweet tea is this trend my relatives are on of an abominable raspberry Splenda tea that they all rave about at gatherings.

CosmicPal
05-06-2012, 07:42 AM
I agree the BBQ in the south is terrible. I have found a place in Tampa I do like though.

But here's the funny thing about the place, and I swear this happened a couple of weeks ago when I stopped by the place for some BBQ.

Me: "I sure wish you guys had burnt ends. I really miss a plate of delicious burnt ends."

Dude at the BBQ counter: "What are burnt ends?"

Me: "It's a Kansas City thing. I'm from KC."

A few minutes later I receive my plate of ribs and pulled pork and I swear the counter guy opens my to-go box and points at some of the pulled pork and says, "Look, we made you some burnt ends."

I just looked at him stunned for a moment. I then laughed and thanked him for trying, but that was not what burnt ends are.

RNR
05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm a southerner and dislike sweet tea though I drink tons of unsweetened. Worse than real sweet tea is this trend my relatives are on of an abominable raspberry Splenda tea that they all rave about at gatherings.

I worked in the Bentonville Bella Vista area for a few months 5 or 6 years ago. I recall the BBQ being fairly similar to Midwest BBQ at least at the little place we ate at. The only difference was they put the cold slaw on top of your food. I did find that rather strange. I also drink a lot of unsweetened tea although I do like a slice of lemon in it. When you order unsweetened (where it is available) they always assume you must be diabetic and try to give you fake sugar lol I also find it strange it is called unsweetened. It would make more sense to me if you ordered "tea" and if you wished to have sugar in it you would request "sweetened tea"~

R8RFAN
05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Fresh pork shoulders or hams slow cooked for 10 hours over hickory wood slabs is not good?

Lawd have mercy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3424931256_3697288af2.jpg

Easy 6
05-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Cole slaw on pulled pork is great. That's the best sandwich at Oklahoma Joe's.

That style really threw me for a loop the first time i tried it, not long after the ex & i arrived in Clarksville, Tn we decided to take a long drive way out in the country.

So a couple hours later we decided to stop at a little mom & pop place for bbq, we both decided to get pulled pork sammies, with potato salad & slaw... so the sandwich and salad shows up & we say something like 'oh, we ordered slaw with these'... and this lady gave us this look that said 'ya'll are damned stupid' & then says 'yes we got it, its OWn it', the ex & i look at each other & back to her very quizzically, so now she's starting to get really exasperated... 'its OWn it, its OWn nair!' pointing at the buns.

It turned out to be ok, but we were both like WTF kinda idea is that.

Saccopoo
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
The Carolina yellow sauce is fantastic. Terrific on chicken, pork and heavier muscled fish like Mako, Cobia and the like. Problem is, it's getting pushed out of the cultural lexicon by the mass produced overly-sweet red sauces. A virtual Applebee'ing of the regional culinary tradition, if you will.

I've been going down to Hilton Head nearly every year for the past 20+ years and you can definitely see a change in the traditional BBQ of the area over that time.

I also don't like to see the homogenization of the Memphis style and Kansas City style that seems to have happened over the same time period.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Fresh pork shoulders or hams slow cooked for 10 hours over hickory wood slabs is not good?

Lawd have mercy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3424931256_3697288af2.jpg

All bar b que outside of Kansas City area sucks compared to what we have mastered. Kansas City is the mecca of the smoked gold. We have mastered it , and we have conquered it. We allow other regions to dabble in it, but when its time to compare our treasure trove of meats, sauces and rubs, there is no other place in the entire world..I SAID THE WORLD CRAIG! which can hold a sauce mop to what we do.

You can say Carolina, but I have no clue why people love your vinegar toe jam crap you call "dip" but they do, and that only adds to my perception of your lack of diversity and knowledge of the art of taste. Texas, you're cool, so is Memphis but its still not KC bar b que. Its not chicken, and sausage, its not burn ends and ribs, its not baked beans and slaw...its not Kansas City.

There is something in our water , in our soil, in our blood; something which makes us better at this than anyone else in the world. You don't go to Canada for great Mexican food, you don't go to Ice Land for great Caribbean food...and you don't go to Carolina, Texas, TN for great bar b que..you come to the Kansas City area...If you think this not a true statement I will hit you in the ****ing face :harumph:. Thank you.

bevischief
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
There isn't shit for BBQ places here in my town. Famous Dave's and they ****ing suck.

Sounds like North Dakota...

Reaper16
05-06-2012, 10:15 AM
There is plenty of shit BBQ in Kansas City, too.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:18 AM
There is plenty of shit BBQ in Kansas City, too.

Yes, but they're few. You cant open a shit BBQ spot in Kansas City, the people here know their Q. That might fly in other cities or regions, but shit BBQ spots don't last long here in KC. Now there are places in KC I dont ( Rosadale, Wyandote, and a few others) but their still quality places, I just dont like them. Big difference in saying "This place serves horrible Q" than "Quality Q, but not my style or taste."

NewChief
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
In all honesty, many of the KC fanatics sound like ignorant isolationists who haven't actually approached other traditions with an open mind. That's great if sheer regional homerism is your game, but many people in this thread seem to have little appreciation for the larger BBQ cultural and historical picture.

Reaper16
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
And I've gotta' say, some of you guys are doing anything to help stop the negative stereotype of KC BBQ that it's all about the sauce. This stereotype was perpetuated by KC's connection to KC Masterpiece brand sauce, and people from the other barbecue capitals use that stereotype derisively.

Instead of wanly complaining about vinegar-based sauces (which are great with pork, dumbshits), you should instead be reckoning with how the Carolinas do something that KC doesn't do at all: whole hog. KC does everything except for whole hog. That's unfortunate.

PunkinDrublic
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Central TX (Lockhart) seems to be where they are more passionate about BBQ. The super fatty brisket they tend to like is just not my thing.

Still do rather enjoy some of the places in the DFW area (the Dallas part his shit BBQ). Had some Hard Eight earlier tonight that was pretty damn good despite their mediocre sauce.

Lockhart smokehouse in Oak Cliff is the best in Dallas IMO. The rest is pretty disappointing.

Reaper16
05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
In all honesty, many of the KC fanatics sound like ignorant isolationists who haven't actually approached other traditions with an open mind. That's great if sheer regional homerism is your game, but many people in this thread seem to have little appreciation for the larger BBQ cultural and historical picture.

This.

I'm a KC homer, too. KC is the clear, undisputed winner of quality in my book. But I love barbecue more than anything on the planet, and I truly love and appreciate the vast cultural variance in the form.

OnTheWarpath15
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM

And I've gotta' say, some of you guys are doing anything to help stop the negative stereotype of KC BBQ that it's all about the sauce. This stereotype was perpetuated by KC's connection to KC Masterpiece brand sauce, and people from the other barbecue capitals use that stereotype derisively.

Instead of wanly complaining about vinegar-based sauces (which are great with pork, dumbshits), you should instead be reckoning with how the Carolinas do something that KC doesn't do at all: whole hog. KC does everything except for whole hog. That's unfortunate.

Great posts.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:30 AM

My statement is in the same spirit and sentiment of what someone from TX, TN, or the Carolinas feels. People from all regions believe their traditions, and their style is the best, just not KC. Try having this conversation with people in TX, TN , or the NC/SC and Im pretty damn sure they will will be pro them and anti other styles.

This is what makes the BBQ tradition in America great. You have people who have passion and love for what they do and believe with all of their heart their area is the best and aren't afraid to talk a little smack about it too. Do I like other regions yes. Do I think Memphis and TX make same damn good BBQ which I have tasted personally...yes. I don't care for NC/SC BBQ, which I have had..but don't knock me, or other posters because we believe KC does it the best and have a little fun running smack at the same time.

P.S If you get this sensitive over a few BBQ comments , maybe you "dumbshits" should stick to eating wraps and sushi lol

NewChief
05-06-2012, 10:35 AM
My statement is in the same spirit and sentiment of what someone from TX, TN, or the Carolinas feels. People from all regions believe their traditions, and their style is the best, just not KC. Try having this conversation with people in TX, TN , or the NC/SC and Im pretty damn sure they will will be pro them and anti other styles.

This is what makes the BBQ tradition in America great. You have people who have passion and love for what they do and believe with all of their heart their area is the best and aren't afraid to talk a little smack about it too. Do I like other regions yes. Do I think Memphis and TX make same damn good BBQ which I have tasted personally...yes. I don't care for NC/SC BBQ, which I have had..but don't knock me, or other posters because we believe KC does it the best and have a little fun running smack at the same time.

P.S If you get this sensitive over a few BBQ comments , maybe you "dumbshits" should stick to eating wraps and sushi lol

I'm not sensitive, I just think you sound ignorant. If you want to go around chest thumping over BBQ, be my guest. I'll just continue to eat lots of different styles and enjoy them all while you live in the little culinary box you've painted for yourself. KC is certainly my favorite style, but that doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge and appreciate the other traditions.

Edit: and maybe I should say that I don't necessarily think YOU sound ignorant, but many of the people in this thread do.

Reaper16
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM

That's fair. Knowledgeable smack talk is one thing. I just wanted to try and nip some ignorance in the bud.

Pride and passion are important. On some level, I think that I would distrust any pitmaster who didn't think his product was the best in his community. Swagger is a good thing.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/izgN0aOaceAPD.gif

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not sensitive, I just think you sound ignorant. If you want to go around chest thumping over BBQ, be my guest. I'll just continue to eat lots of different styles and enjoy them all while you live in the little culinary box you've painted for yourself.

Yes...you are sensitive. And congrats to you for your culinary diversity(Golf clap).I have sampled BBQ from all over the WORLD not just here in America. I have traveled to other countries and regions and tasted their style of BBQ....excuse me for having some fucking pride in what we do here in KC. Next time I will make sure to edit my post, as to not offend those who get upset because people are passionate about the "Q" here in KC.

NewChief
05-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes...you are sensitive. And congrats to you for your culinary diversity(Golf clap).I have sampled BBQ from all over the WORLD not just here in America. I have traveled to other countries and regions and tasted their style of BBQ....excuse me for having some ****ing pride in what we do here in KC. Next time I will make sure to edit my post, as to not offend those who get upset because people are passionate about the "Q" here in KC.

You seem to be the one who is sensitive in assuming that I'm talking about YOU when I'm talking about the ignorant fucks in this thread. Carry on.

Easy 6
05-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I would distrust any pitmaster who didn't think his product was the best in his community. Swagger is a good thing.

This, pride is an essential ingredient.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:45 AM
That's fair. Knowledgeable smack talk is one thing. I just wanted to try and nip some ignorance in the bud.

Pride and passion are important. On some level, I think that I would distrust any pitmaster who didn't think his product was the best in his community. Swagger is a good thing.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/izgN0aOaceAPD.gif

KC folk take pride in BBQ. There are few places in the world where you will find so many knowledgeable people on the subject. BBQ in Kansas City is something special. I make my own rubs and smokers, just like the vast majority of people in KC. You know a place is special when you can go to a back yard BBQ and find world class Q. I don't think TX and TN aren't good at what they do, just my civic pride makes me bias towards KC. SC and NC on the other hand...I really don't get it. I`ve sampled it a few times and its really not that great, but that's just my opinion.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-06-2012, 10:47 AM
There's a difference in being passionate and saying shit like,

Carolina BBQ? :Lin:

I just went back and read what you posted, my bad, we're good.

RNR
05-06-2012, 03:07 PM
As I posted it was intended to hang trash on vinegar based sauce, which I do hate. I have friends and family that live in in the Midwest and have asked me if I will ever move back home. I tell them simply no. I love eastern North Carolina, and wish I would have moved out years ago. It is a wonderful area to be located in. The problem I have is finding enough time to enjoy all the cool things to do out here~

|Zach|
05-06-2012, 03:09 PM
You seem to be the one who is sensitive in assuming that I'm talking about YOU when I'm talking about the ignorant ****s in this thread. Carry on.

ROFL LMAO

Valiant
05-06-2012, 03:18 PM
It's all about perspective. I prefer Texas style BBQ, for one region to say another region is horrible is more about personal taste than anything else.

To a point you are correct.. Kind of like your momma's cooking, it is always better..

But KC bbq does reign supreme per the teams and cookoffs..

suzzer99
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
The funny thing is in LA people don't even understand that there can be a heated argument about BBQ. It's just meat and sauce to them. I try to explain to them how seriously people take BBQ in the midwest and they just give me a blank stare.

How many heated BBQ arguments does this forum get into per week?

Phobia
05-06-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't claim KC BBQ as my style at all. I spent a decade in Texas and there are elements from there that appear in my Q. I also spent 5 years in Virginia and North Carolina. While you're not going to find mustard or vinegar based sauces in any of my Q, I'm not a KC purist by any stretch.

|Zach|
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I like the meat so much better than the sauce. Sometimes...I like a little bit of sauce but the meat is what makes great BBQ. It is awesome by itself.

Tribal Warfare
05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Meh. Been to a couple different Dreamlands. They do a pretty good job with sausage, but their sauce is gross. Yes, NC does a vinegar/pepper sauce, as well as a mustard sauce. The mustard sauce may be the only thing more disgusting than the vinegar sauce.

Agreed, KC and Texas are fairly close; main thing is KC sauce is much sweeter. I've been to Neely's and The Barbecue Shack there, both were quite good.

And I'm on record here several times, Jack Stack in KC isn't as good as everyone thinks. Decent food, but it ain't all that. And I'm very vocal about my disdain for what they call burnt ends. Fuck them.

I found it's the other way around Texas has the sweet sauce while KC has more of a spicy tang to it. I like the spicy variation

Phobia
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I like the meat so much better than the sauce. Sometimes...I like a little bit of sauce but the meat is what makes great BBQ. It is awesome by itself.

Exactly. I sauce only when necessary. A well done pulled pork doesn't need sauce. I usually sauce it for sandwiches but if I throw a little on a plate I'll eat it plain. I rarely ever sauce ribs. I sauce brisket about half the time. I don't do a lot of smoked chicken and when I do, I generally turn it into chicken salad.

Reaper16
05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Good Q doesn't need sauce.

sedated
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I love munching on some Carolina Q, I think it’s a pretty interesting twist to what we are used to here. No reason to hate on slaw, its just a topping – like saying putting mustard on a burger is gross and only ketchup is acceptable. Or bitching about a primanti brothers sandwich because the fries are on it. Its not even a typical mayo-based slaw.

However, I hate how people in other regions (especially Carolina) think that all BBQ sauce in KC is KC Masterpiece. That stuff is a joke.

I LOVED Memphis BBQ. But I only went to 1 place - they had the best ribs I’ve ever tasted, including KC.

|Zach|
05-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I love munching on some Carolina Q, I think it’s a pretty interesting twist to what we are used to here. No reason to hate on slaw, its just a topping – like saying putting mustard on a burger is gross and only ketchup is acceptable. Or bitching about a primanti brothers sandwich because the fries are on it. Its not even a typical mayo-based slaw.

However, I hate how people in other regions (especially Carolina) think that all BBQ sauce in KC is KC Masterpiece. That stuff is a joke.

I LOVED Memphis BBQ. But I only went to 1 place - they had the best ribs I’ve ever tasted, including KC.

Agree, have not hit up memphis yet though.

Raiderhater
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

A little bit of a well made sauce can easily compliment the flavors found in the meat.

In my little world, the sauce is every bit as important as the meat.

Raiderhater
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I found it's the other way around Texas has the sweet sauce while KC has more of a spicy tang to it. I like the spicy variation

I find most Texas sauces to be neither. Most of the sauces I've had down there were just plain boring.

suzzer99
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
One thing I liked a lot about better Austin and San Antonio BBQ was the tex-mex pinto beans. I'm not a big fan of molasses baked beans.

Great Expectations
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
I think OK Joes is the greatest BBQ place in the world.

When I smoke a pork butt or chicken I make a yellow bbq sauce. A combo of honey, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and whatever pepper is handy. The sauce is awesome, it never lasts long and virtually everyone chooses it over the red sauce that is also available for people.

It isn't good on brisket, but by far the best tasting sauce for pork and chicken.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I make Pulled Pork in the crock every couple of months.

I put brown sugar, garlic, onion, paprika, and half a bottle of liquid smoke.

Near the end, I drain fluids, then add a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays.

Everyone loves it. :)

Great Expectations
05-07-2012, 06:32 PM

So, you live in Ohio right?

NewChief
05-07-2012, 06:51 PM
The worst BBQ I've had in recent memory was in Indiana on the way back from Ft. Wayne at some little diner. I don't know what the hell possessed me to order a BBQ sandwich from their drive-thru, but it was abominable. It reminded me more of a sloppy joe (but with shredded meat instead of ground).

Reaper16
05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Worst BBQ I've had in recent memory was in Georgia. College Park neighborhood of Atlanta; a place called Barbecue Kitchen. Just astoundingly bad pulled pork.

blaise
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Worst I've had in a while was some pulled pork in Frisco, TX. There were giant hunks of onion mixed into it. 2 inch long soggy onion slivers. It reminded me of something a school cafeteria would make.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
So, you live in Ohio right?

Yes. From KC, though. There is NO good selection of BBQ sauce here.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Worst BBQ I've had in recent memory was in Georgia. College Park neighborhood of Atlanta; a place called Barbecue Kitchen. Just astoundingly bad pulled pork.

LOL I stopped at a place in N. Atlanta called BBQ Street or something.

Worst.
BBQ.
Ever.

dtebbe
05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Fox Brothers is the only place in ATL that's pretty good.

I think it's Saturdays they have this giant beef rib (and I mean you can't eat the whole rib) that is pretty amazing. Always decent though.

DT

Dreamland in Norcross = sucks
Old Brick pit = sucks
pig n chick = garbage
Sonny's = turds

The best I've had in Georgia was when Corkys out of Memphis had a location in Duluth. The best I've had in the south was Sticky Fingers in Greenville, NC.

But overall it's mostly garbage in my experiences

gblowfish
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes. From KC, though. There is NO good selection of BBQ sauce here.

This is what passes for BBQ in Ohio:
http://www.montgomeryinn.com/

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 07:57 PM

I've never eaten there because their sauce is horrible.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Also, thats just in the Cincinnati area.

City BBQ is a ton better, I'm sure.

sedated
05-07-2012, 08:12 PM

If I'm making crock pot pork, I always brine that bitch.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
If I'm making crock pot pork, I always brine that bitch.

Interesting. What do you use?

sedated
05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Interesting. What do you use?

I think the liquid smoke gives it a better smoke flavor when it's brined in.

Salt, water, brown sugar, sugar, garlic, liquid smoke, onion powder, cumin, black pepper.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I think the liquid smoke gives it a better smoke flavor when it's brined in.

Salt, water, brown sugar, sugar, garlic, liquid smoke, onion powder, cumin, black pepper.

Cool. I'm gonna try that next time.

How long do I brine?

Bewbies
05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Fox Brothers is the only place in ATL that's pretty good.

I think it's Saturdays they have this giant beef rib (and I mean you can't eat the whole rib) that is pretty amazing. Always decent though.

DT

Fox Bros is good--I also like SmokeJack in Alpharetta. They have decent burnt ends. CommunityQ is good if you can get past the ketchupesque BBQ sauce. Daddy D's is good too.

Mexican food is way better here so that's what I tend to go with.

gblowfish
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I bought a bottle of this at the American Royal a few years ago, from Savannah, GA. Not bad, but not close to KC sauce:

http://www.johnnyharris.com/

dmahurin
05-08-2012, 01:30 AM

ROFLNTTAWWT

Monty
05-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Worst I've had in a while was some pulled pork in Frisco, TX. There were giant hunks of onion mixed into it. 2 inch long soggy onion slivers. It reminded me of something a school cafeteria would make.

Was it Rudy's or Randy White by chance? Both are hugely disappointing imo and I won't eat at either place.

blaise
05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Was it Rudy's or Randy White by chance? Both are hugely disappointing imo and I won't eat at either place.

Rudy's. I've had ok BBQ there, but the last time I went it was blech.

sedated
05-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Cool. I'm gonna try that next time.

How long do I brine?

Overnight.

I usually mix everything but the water in a big pot, bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar, then dump in ice to cool it down. Then put the pork into a freezer bag and pour the cold brine over it, then let sit in the fridge overnight.

DaKCMan AP
05-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Rudy's. I've had ok BBQ there, but the last time I went it was blech.

The Rudy's in College Station is Awesome. I don't eat pulled pork, but their brisket was outstanding.

DaKCMan AP
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM

QFT

Fuck you bitch.

Brah, FL bbq is garbage.

I'm a southerner and dislike sweet tea though I drink tons of unsweetened.

Unsweet tea is Awesome. Sweet tea is teh suck.

I agree the BBQ in the south is terrible. I have found a place in Tampa I do like though.

Where?

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Also: I realize that Florida, geographically, is in the South, but it's hardly Southern as far as culture, imo.

DaKCMan AP
05-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Also: I realize that Florida, geographically, is in the South, but it's hardly Southern as far as culture, imo.

It depends. Draw a horizontal line across the state through Tampa and Orlando. Everything south of the line is not the "South" and everything north of the line is basically Alabama/Georgia.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Overnight.

I usually mix everything but the water in a big pot, bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar, then dump in ice to cool it down. Then put the pork into a freezer bag and pour the cold brine over it, then let sit in the fridge overnight.
Cool. Thanks.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
It depends. Draw a horizontal line across the state through Tampa and Orlando. Everything south of the line is not the "South" and everything north of the line is basically Alabama/Georgia.

True enough. The whole 30A area is fairly southern. I'm not that familiar with the east coast, but we spend a lot of time on 30A. It's still a little different due to the dependence on tourism and maritime culture (which I know is also found in southern Alabama, though to a lesser extent).

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Brah, FL bbq is garbage.

Unsweet tea is Awesome. Sweet tea is teh suck.

I'll gag if I drink sweet tea.

The only BBQ in Florida that isnt garbage is Sonny's.

Its not great. Its not even very good. Its just not garbage.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:46 AM

This place isn't bad:
http://www.elizabethdorney.com/blog/2010/11/15/barefoot-bbq-on-30a/

https://www.facebook.com/barefootbbq

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
This place isn't bad:
http://www.elizabethdorney.com/blog/2010/11/15/barefoot-bbq-on-30a/

https://www.facebook.com/barefootbbq

Wish it was closer. I'm in Auburndale now.

What is it with boiled peanuts down here? Blah.

DaKCMan AP
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

I guess, but compared to good BBQ Sonny's is garbage. It's edible, mildly enjoyable, and may satisfy a desperate craving.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Not trying to argue for Arkansas as a BBQ capital with a singular tradition (it certainly isn't), but I thought this was a cool video to post here.

http://www.arktimes.com/EatArkansas/archives/2012/05/08/jones-bbq-is-a-hit-on-broadway

We reported earlier that Jones Bar-B-Q Diner of Marianna was to be honored last weekend as an "American classic" restaurant during the annual James Beard Foundation awards ceremony. Top restaurants are honored, along with outstanding writing about food. Jones was doubly honored by being the subject of John T. Edge's prize-winning article about barbecue in Saveur magazine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xgq0Rm58sPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I guess, but compared to good BBQ Sonny's is garbage. It's edible, mildly enjoyable, and may satisfy a desperate craving.

Pretty much

suzzer99
05-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I met up with some friends to watch the UFC fights at a place called Texas Loosey's in Torrance, CA. It's been around forever and has a reputation for good food, also the waitress raved about the pulled pork sandwich and it was first on the menu. So I decided to be adventurous and give it a try.

Absolutely rancid-tasting. I couldn't eat more than 1/4 of it, and I'll eat anything. It tasted like someone had taken shredded pork, tried to add some BBQ seasonings to it, then nuked the hell out of it and put it on a bun. Ugh. The chili, which is the other thing the waitress said was really good, was fine.

Moral of the story: avoid CA BBQ unless it's in the hood and looks and smells like a real BBQ joint.

The only exception I've ever found to this rule is a place called Kansas City BBQ (not the crappy one in SD) in N. Hollywood, which was started recently by a guy who used to cook at Gates.

Fish
05-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Half a bottle of liquid smoke? And then a full bottle of sauce? Are you serious? That sounds disgusting...

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Half a bottle of liquid smoke? And then a full bottle of sauce? Are you serious? That sounds disgusting...

I use an 8lb Butt.

Also, I drain the liquid.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Sonny's is turd. period.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
and it's not even close, TURD!

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Sonny's is turd. period.

Compared to KC, certainly.

Its king of the south, though.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

That you feel some chain is "king of the south" shows why you dislike southern BBQ.

I suppose KC Masterpiece is King of KC as well?

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
That you feel some chain is "king of the south" shows why you dislike southern BBQ.

I suppose KC Masterpiece is King of KC as well?

I've eaten at a handful of BBQ joints in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky on my trips back and forth from Ohio to Florida.

Sonny's is always the best. Its consistently less than good.

The others are consistently bad. WTF does chain have to do with it?

NewChief
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I've eaten at a handful of BBQ joints in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky on my trips back and forth from Ohio to Florida.

Sonny's is always the best. Its consistently less than good.

The others are consistently bad. WTF does chain have to do with it?

If you can't answer the question of "WTF does chain have to do with it?" for yourself, then you don't really have a valid culinary viewpoint. Sorry. :p

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
If you can't answer the question of "WTF does chain have to do with it?" for yourself, then you don't really have a valid culinary viewpoint. Sorry. :p

No. The fact that I grew up in KC does.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
No. The fact that I grew up in KC does.

I'm not sure how to get across what I'm trying to get across. Here's what I'll say:

Go watch the video I posted earlier. Now... would you ever eat at some place like that if you were just out "sampling" BBQ in the South? Probably not. You'd prefer a nice "safe" place like Sonny's to an old-school, but somewhat daunting place. I do the same thing when I travel. I end up eating at some shitty "safe" restaurant instead of the hole in the wall shithole that serves the real deal. Because that place appears scary and weird and often dirty to the outside eye. To the local, though, it's comforting and homey (like your favorite KC hole in the wall located in a gas station for instance).

My whole point is that if you want to eat real southern Q and appreciate it, you're going to have to search it out and find the backwoods hole in the wall, talk to the folks, get the story, and find out what makes it great. That doesn't happen at a chain like Sonny's.

I'm sorry if I"m coming across as an asshole or snobby. I'm not, because I do the same shit. In Jamaica, I was eating at some sanitized westernized place that felt "safe" when I should have been banging on the door of the shack where the lady had a hand lettered piece of cardboard in her front yard saying, "Eat fish here."

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure how to get across what I'm trying to get across. Here's what I'll say:

Go watch the video I posted earlier. Now... would you ever eat at some place like that if you were just out "sampling" BBQ in the South? Probably not. You'd prefer a nice "safe" place like Sonny's to an old-school, but somewhat daunting place. I do the same thing when I travel. I end up eating at some shitty "safe" restaurant instead of the hole in the wall shithole that serves the real deal. Because that place appears scary and weird and often dirty to the outside eye. To the local, though, it's comforting and homey (like your favorite KC hole in the wall located in a gas station for instance).

My whole point is that if you want to eat real southern Q and appreciate it, you're going to have to search it out and find the backwoods hole in the wall, talk to the folks, get the story, and find out what makes it great. That doesn't happen at a chain like Sonny's.

I'm sorry if I"m coming across as an asshole or snobby. I'm not, because I do the same shit. In Jamaica, I was eating at some sanitized westernized place that felt "safe" when I should have been banging on the door of the shack where the lady had a hand lettered piece of cardboard in her front yard saying, "Eat fish here."
These are just places I've stopped along I-75.

Hell, City BBQ in Ohio is better than these places.

Monty
05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
In Jamaica, I was eating at some sanitized westernized place that felt "safe" when I should have been banging on the door of the shack where the lady had a hand lettered piece of cardboard in her front yard saying, "Eat fish here."

I thought we were discussing Q.

This needs to be moved to the penthouse letters thread.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
These are just places I've stopped along I-75.

Hell, City BBQ in Ohio is better than these places.

Yeah. You're a little East of my experience. I have virtually no experience with places that far east, but I'll say that I just find it REALLY REALLY hard to believe that there's no palatable BBQ besides Sonny's anywhere in Georgia, Florida, or Tennessee.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I thought we were discussing Q.

This needs to be moved to the penthouse letters thread.

:clap:

Nice.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah. You're a little East of my experience. I have virtually no experience with places that far east, but I'll say that I just find it REALLY REALLY hard to believe that there's no palatable BBQ besides Sonny's anywhere in Georgia, Florida, or Tennessee.

Even Simply Red says Georgia BBQ sucks.

I'm sure some are good. Hole-in-the-wall joints.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Even Simply Red says Georgia BBQ sucks.

I'm sure some are good. Hole-in-the-wall joints.

Yeah. It's just interesting because the best, most authentic food, tends to be the least accessible or most intimidating. Think of Oklahoma Joe's and it's origins in a gas station. Had it not gotten lots of good press: no one knows about it. Had it not been located in KC, the BBQ capitol of the world, it would have gotten little press.

I just love the video I posted because it shows that there are these little out of the way places (and I haven't even eaten at the place in the video, in all honesty) that are just doing their thing, keeping a great tradition alive, in complete isolation of the larger cultural scene. Of course, the internet has changed a lot of that. What was once word-of-mouth can now go viral via social media, but it's even cooler that we can now find and sample those little culinary oases that were once unknowable except for locals and the serendipitous.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
in defense of Dave, the KC bloodline for standards loses it's burst, over time, and we grow desperate, desperate to have ANY BBQ. We lose focus as to just where exactly the flow chart is, set aside remembering how to follow it. So we grasp, we grasp for ANY BBQ, The more time passes, so do our standards, and the longer we're away from KC - the worse it gets.

But I never cared for Sonnys. OK their smoked turkey sandwich were pretty good but that was about it, there.

Smokey Bones was good, short lived here in Georgia - it was owned by Red Lobster or Darden.

The best that Georgia ever saw to MY knowledge was Corkys out of Memphis, and it was fairly good. Very legit dry-rub pork rib.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
in defense of Dave, the KC bloodline for standards loses it's burst, over time, and we grow desperate, desperate to have ANY BBQ. We lose focus as to just where exactly the flow chart is, set aside remembering how to follow it. So we grasp, we grasp for ANY BBQ, The more time passes, so do our standards, and the longer we're away from KC - the worse it gets.

But I never cared for Sonnys. OK their smoked turkey sandwich were pretty good but that was about it, there.

Smokey Bones was good, short lived here in Georgia - it was owned by Red Lobster or Darden.

The best that Georgia ever saw to MY knowledge was Corkys out of Memphis, and it was fairly good. Very legit dry-rub pork rib.

**** man. You're reinforcing my point. Every joint you posted is a chain. I can get Corky's bullshit up here. Same with Smokey Bones. This is chain bullshit, not deep cultural BBQ. Get off your metrosexual, CB2 couch and find a ****ing BBQ joint that is worth a shit.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
**** man. You're reinforcing my point. Every joint you posted is a chain. I can get Corky's bullshit up here. Same with Smokey Bones. This is chain bullshit, not deep cultural BBQ. Get off your metrosexual, CB2 couch and find a ****ing BBQ joint that is worth a shit.

Dude, I live in North Brookhaven, South tip of Chamblee, this IS the mecca for apparent Atlantan 'BBQ' . We have Old Brick pit and Pig-N-Chick.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather have bologna with gates sauce, to the char-turds they're feeding us down here! It's serious, right up there with the Hitler gas chambers.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
http://www.oldbrickpitbbq.com/#!__menu

http://www.pignchik.net/

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.oldbrickpitbbq.com/#!__menu

http://www.pignchik.net/

Community? Heirloom? Fox Bros? Fresh Air in Jackson?

I don't know, man. I don't live there. I just can't believe that in a city the size of Atlanta, no one does good Q.

And by good Q, I don't mean Q to the specifics of KC isolationists/purists. I mean stuff that tastes good, has a tradition behind it, and is made with love.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Community? Heirloom? Fox Bros? Fresh Air in Jackson, FL?

I don't know, man. I don't live there. I just can't believe that in a city the size of Atlanta, no one does good Q.

And by good Q, I don't mean Q to the specifics of KC isolationists/purists. I mean stuff that tastes good, has a tradition behind it, and is made with love.

yeah, it sucks, Spiced Right, Williams Bros, Fat Matts, been to all of them.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Dude, I live in North Brookhaven, South tip of Chamblee, this IS the mecca for apparent Atlantan 'BBQ' . We have Old Brick pit and Pig-N-Chick.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather have bologna with gates sauce, to the char-turds they're feeding us down here! It's serious, right up there with the Hitler gas chambers.

Have you tried BBQ Street?

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:57 PM
yeah, it sucks, Spiced Right, Williams Bros, Fat Matts, been to all of them.

Okay. Well, I guess your tastes are pretty specific, then. Obviously other people really enjoy those places (and Fatt Matts evidently boils their ribs).

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Have you tried BBQ Street?

No, but I will, I'm only about 20 minutes from Kennesaw.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
And you guys do realize that on TexansPlanet right now, there's a discussion about how some poor Texan moved to KC and can't find decent BBQ (meaning brisket) to save his life and how he wants to puke every time he eats at Oklahoma Joes?

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Okay. Well, I guess your tastes are pretty specific, then. Obviously other people really enjoy those places (and Fatt Matts evidently boils their ribs).

See, they'd boil turds, even.

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
And you guys do realize that on TexansPlanet right now, there's a discussion about how some poor Texan moved to KC and can't find decent BBQ (meaning brisket) to save his life and how he wants to puke every time he eats at Oklahoma Joes?

may just be a Kotter Mult, has hims migrated to that site yet?

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 09:04 PM
No, but I will, I'm only about 20 minutes from Kennesaw.

Prepare for shit on a plate.

Tried it about a yr ago.

Never again.

Phobia
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Unless it also includes 74 racial slurs and some anal sex references I'm really not sure I believe this.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
See, they'd boil turds, even.

Do you like boiled peanuts?

NewChief
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I'll confess that I don't like boiled peanuts. My wife stops at roadside stands in MS on our way to FL every summer and buys them. Not a fan.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I'll confess that I don't like boiled peanuts. My wife stops at roadside stands in MS on our way to FL every summer and buys them. Not a fan.

They do not look good.

Great Expectations
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
What about Jack's Old South? I've never been there but Myron seems like he knows what he is doing on TV.

NewChief
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
What about Jack's Old South? I've never been there but Myron seems like he knows what he is doing on TV.

Bah! Myron Mixon doesn't know shit about BBQ! He's not from Kansas City!

Fish
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Bizarro Chiefsplanet...

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I do like boiled peanuts, but you get tired of them very quickly and very easily - you (at least I do) have to really space out how often you eat them.

DaKCMan AP
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
You'd prefer a nice "safe" place like Sonny's to an old-school, but somewhat daunting place. I do the same thing when I travel. I end up eating at some shitty "safe" restaurant instead of the hole in the wall shithole that serves the real deal. Because that place appears scary and weird and often dirty to the outside eye. To the local, though, it's comforting and homey (like your favorite KC hole in the wall located in a gas station for instance).

Weird. When I travel I avoid chains and seek out hole-in-the-wall local treasures.

blaise
05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I do like boiled peanuts, but you get tired of them very quickly and very easily - you (at least I do) have to really space out how often you eat them.

My sister and her husband lived in a town in Upstate NY near the Hudson River. They sold their house to these two gay guys who apparently made a ton of money selling boiled peanuts to people in NYC.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Boiled peanuts = :Lin:

NewChief
05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Weird. When I travel I avoid chains and seek out hole-in-the-wall local treasures.

Well, I should say that I do seek out places like that now (and the internet has made it easier both to find and understand those places). But I've been guilty (especially when traveling in other countries) of sticking to the safer locations. Like I said, one of my greatest regrets in Jamaica was eating at the safer places. But the fact is that it was a pain in the ass and daunting to try to go somewhere else. The dives often didn't even look like a restaurant. Might just have a little cardboard sign out front. No prices that you could pick out. No real menu. But I know that's where the most "authentic" food was, it was just a pain in the ass and somewhat awkward to try to get at it unless you understood the way to go about it.

DaKCMan AP
05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, I should say that I do seek out places like that now (and the internet has made it easier both to find and understand those places). But I've been guilty (especially when traveling in other countries) of sticking to the safer locations. Like I said, one of my greatest regrets in Jamaica was eating at the safer places. But the fact is that it was a pain in the ass and daunting to try to go somewhere else. The dives often didn't even look like a restaurant. Might just have a little cardboard sign out front. No prices that you could pick out. No real menu. But I know that's where the most "authentic" food was, it was just a pain in the ass and somewhat awkward to try to get at it unless you understood the way to go about it.

The internet has definitely made it easier (along with GPS to get you there) but I also always ask the locals for the best spots and tell them not to send me to any chains or touristy places.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
The internet has definitely made it easier (along with GPS to get you there) but I also always ask the locals for the best spots and tell them not to send me to any chains or touristy places.

Yep, I travel a lot. I ask cabbies and cops where to eat. Or Yelp. Cabbies and cops know the best places.

QuikSsurfer
05-09-2012, 08:37 AM

ROFL
Sonny's is hardly the fucking king of the South...

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Yep, I travel a lot. I ask cabbies and cops where to eat. Or Yelp. Cabbies and cops know the best places.

I'm proud you ate here, (http://www.anticopizza.it/) though.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm proud you ate here, (http://www.anticopizza.it/) though.

I went there TWICE, dude. I went out of my way on the way out of town to go grab some for the ride home.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I are driving up to Savannah later this year... we may take a detour through ATL for some of that.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I went there TWICE, dude. I went out of my way on the way out of town to go grab some for the ride home.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I are driving up to Savannah later this year... we may take a detour through ATL for some of that.

there are only 3 ovens like that in all of the USA, maybe only 2, I don't remember exactly.

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
ROFL
Sonny's is hardly the fucking king of the South...

Compared to the shit I ate down there, it was.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
there are only 3 ovens like that in all of the USA, maybe only 2, I don't remember exactly.

I remember reading about it. I think there are four ovens in the U.S., and three of them are there.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I remember reading about it. I think there are four ovens in the U.S., and three of them are there.

oh ok.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
oh ok.

Screw you, SR. Now I want some Antico. :cuss:

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Didn't you move again FMB!? Didn't you move from Myrtle Beach?

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM

I drive a 1000 miles straight thru to Florida from Ohio. I'm looking for shit near the Interstate.

This isnt a jaunt thru the south...

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Didn't you move again FMB!? Didn't you move from Myrtle Beach?

Yes, I'm in Montgomery, AL, now. I moved here almost 2 years ago (so was living here when I visited ATL). Atlanta is a relatively short 3-hour drive now.

QuikSsurfer
05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Compared to the shit I ate down there, it was.

You probably wouldn't enjoy Q down here even if you thought it was good. Sounds like your mind is made up.

There's a place I like to go in Yazoo, MS - called Ubons.. These guys do it right. It's a hole in the wall kinda place. I try to make the 45 minute drive there at least a few times a year.
http://ubons.net/index.html

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes, I'm in Montgomery, AL, now. I moved here almost 2 years ago (so was living here when I visited ATL). Atlanta is a relatively short 3-hour drive now.

Oh okay. I wish we had more mom-n-pops places w/ outstanding food, but here in town it seems, there's: Fast-food, Chilis type of 'sit down' and then fine-dining from there. It sucks there aren't more character places here. But there are some damned nice fine-dining places. Trouble is they're so pricey.

BTW, did you try Dreamland BBQ yet? The ones in Alabama are better than the ones in Georgia, according to some of the regulars. Which is good because I didn't care for the one in Norcross.

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
You probably wouldn't enjoy Q down here even if you thought it was good. Sounds like your mind is made up.

There's a place I like to go in Yazoo, MS - called Ubons.. These guys do it right. It's a hole in the wall kinda place. I try to make the 45 minute drive there at least a few times a year.
http://ubons.net/index.html

My opinion is based on the shit I ate.

I dont have the time and financial resources to find every joint in the region.

I simply do not like the typical southern method. I do not like vinegar and mustard based sauces compared to the sweet/spicy KC style stuff.

Sue me.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh okay. I wish we had more mom-n-pops places w/ outstanding food, but here in town it seems, there's: Fast-food, Chilis type of 'sit down' and then fine-dining from there. It sucks there aren't more character places here. But there are some damned nice fine-dining places. Trouble is they're so pricey.

BTW, did you try Dreamland BBQ yet? The ones in Alabama are better than the ones in Georgia, according to some of the regulars. Which is good because I didn't care for the one in Norcross.

I would kill for the options you have in Atlanta.

I've tried the Dreamland here in town. It was OK. They do a decent job with the meat (their sausage is pretty tasty), but the sauce is awful.

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM

I've tried the Dreamland here in town. It was OK. They do a decent job with the meat (their sausage is pretty tasty), but the sauce is awful.

Hey, try BBQ Street in ATL. Its great...

LOL

edit: Its actually north of Atl in Kennesaw.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

trouble is it's all really pricey, and I'm far from cheap. Houstons is my spot. I know it's a chain, but it may be the best chain known to man. This restaurant consistently has their shit on lock. The Pineapple Ribeye is still one of the best steaks i've ever had. Everyone should try it at least one time.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
trouble is it's all really pricey, and I'm far from cheap. Houstons is my spot. I know it's a chain, but it may be the best chain known to man. This restaurant consistently has their shit on lock. The Pineapple Ribeye is still one of the best steaks i've ever had. Everyone should try it at least one time.

I went to a Houston's when I was in Memphis last month. Had their blackened ribeye. Tasty.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I went to a Houston's when I was in Memphis last month. Had their blackened ribeye. Tasty.

I enjoy the hell out of it. We watched the Kentucky Derby there, good time.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
again it's www.pignchik.net

Ok guys, to be fair here, It's closing time, the guy literally unlocked the door to let me in.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4t4uuh.jpg

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
the first sight.

http://i46.tinypic.com/24e6cf7.jpg

NewChief
05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
the first sight.

http://i46.tinypic.com/24e6cf7.jpg

Does not look promising. No foil? No wax/parchment paper?

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
The steamed brocoli was surprisingly still hot and flavored very nicely. Also NOT over-cooked!

http://i48.tinypic.com/k2bcep.jpg

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:04 PM
the ribs are somewhat fatty, but I can deal with that because they're moist.

I like the whole piece of texas NON toast, i like that just fine.

The sauce is the let down, here, it's basically honey type of heinz 57 - it's edible, but just barely.

The ribs all alone have a decent smoke flavor, yet somewhat underwhelming for my taste (there needs to be balance there) - I certainly don't like TOO smokey, either.

The beans are fair, but nothing I coudn't do with brown sugar, onion powder and canned beans.

All in all It's better than I'd thought and certainly better than NO BBQ at all.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rf4phg.jpg

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Steamed brocoli is the shit.

How was the ribs

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
the ribs are somewhat fatty, but I can deal with that because they're moist.

I like the whole piece of texas NON toast, i like that just fine.

The sauce is the let down, here, it's basically honey type of heinz 57 - it's edible, but just barely.

The ribs all alone have a decent smoke flavor, yet somewhat underwhelming for my taste (there needs to be balance there) - I certainly don't like TOO smokey, either.

The beans are fair, but nothing I coudn't do with brown sugar, onion powder and canned beans.

All in all It's better than I'd thought and certainly better than NO BBQ at all.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rf4phg.jpg

It's not hard to slap beans together. The ribs look pretty good.

NewChief
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
The steamed brocoli was surprisingly still hot and flavored very nicely. Also NOT over-cooked!

http://i48.tinypic.com/k2bcep.jpg

Okay... ribs were in foil. I didn't see that from the first pic.

Simply Red
Steamed brocoli is the shit.

How was the ribs

Not TOO terrible, actually hit the spot rather nicely with a Pepsi Next, I mean NO it's certainly NOT KC BBQ, but for one block from the house, ehhh....

I really should give these places more of a chance.

gblowfish
Steamed broccoli will make you shit. NO right minded BBQ joint would serve that. You should be having cheesy corn, or wedge fries, or cole slaw, or corn on the cob. Broccoli? BBQ is NOT health food!

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Okay... ribs were in foil. I didn't see that from the first pic.

It'll do for now, it's much better than Old Brick Pit, but can't touch Gates with Dane's 12 inches of limp dick.

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Steamed broccoli will make you shit. NO right minded BBQ joint would serve that. You should be having cheesy corn, or wedge fries, or cole slaw, or corn on the cob. Broccoli? BBQ is NOT health food!

I do agree, I was just stating that steam brocoli is good stuff. I wouldn't make it my side though.

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Not TOO terrible, actually hit the spot rather nicely with a Pepsi Next, I mean NO it's certainly NOT KC BBQ, but for one block from the house, ehhh....

I really should give these places more of a chance.

Do you live in KC?

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Here's my grading:

Brocoli - A - very nice rich sauce/glaze buttery and zesty - STILL HOT

Piece of Texas NON toast - A - All i want is something to Sop up goodness w/ - a plain white canvas here is just fine.

Sauce - D+ - I've had worse, this (at least) served it's purpose in desperate times.

Beans - D - Meh, is that bush's canned just nuked? Ok not that bad, but not the stength of the meal.

Ribs - You know what overall pretty decent, very servicable fare there.

Food for the $$ - B+ I'm not hungry and have about half of it's contents, left over

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:18 PM

I agree, but I was considering the time, it being so late.

They did have hush puppies. LOL

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Do you live in KC?

No - not since 1992

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
No - not since 1992

I'll be going to KC for my third visit. You recommend Gates for ribs?

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I do agree, I was just stating that steam brocoli is good stuff. I wouldn't make it my side though.

I only ordered the broc. due to eating so late in the evening. Otherwise on another day - I'd had just ordered a ladle of fry- grease.

BigMeatballDave
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Why dont southern BBQ joints offer Burnt ends?

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll be going to KC for my third visit. You recommend Gates for ribs?

I like the sliced meats myself, but it's all up to you. Gates is definitely straight, but ask the pros on this site, I, too will defer your inquiry, to the pros.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Why dont southern BBQ joints offer Burnt ends?

i think they're exclusive to KC - though i'm not sure.

In58men
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM
BBQ sucks here in California.

We have a couple of decent places. Prime Cut is probably the best, then we have another place called Champs BBQ. Their sig dish is the deep pit sandwich. Which probably made in the oven and the roll is way to thick.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
BBQ sucks here in California.

We have a couple of decent places. Prime Cut is probably the best, then we have another place called Champs BBQ. Their sig dish is the deep pit sandwich. Which probably made in the oven and the roll is way to thick.

This is a reminder as to the side-effects of eating bbq ribs. Ughh bloated from massive grease amounts. Why on earth did I do that so late?

Setsuna
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
The amount of homerism for KC BBQ is laughable.