PDA

View Full Version : Football Chris Carter put a bounty on Bill Romanowski

Bump
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I like it

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7907610/cris-carter-formerly-minnesota-vikings-admits-authorizing-bounties

Cris Carter admits to bounties
Updated: May 8, 2012, 11:43 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Former Minnesota Vikings All-Pro receiver Cris Carter says he put "bounties" on opposing players as a form of protection during his 16-year NFL career.

Carter, currently an ESPN NFL analyst, said on "Hill and Schlereth" on ESPN Radio on Tuesday night that he would offer money to teammates to take out players Carter thought were trying to take him out.

Carter Bill Romanowski -- he told me he was going to take me out before the game, warmups. No problem. (He said,) 'I'm gonna end your career Carter.' No problem. I put a little change on his head before the game. Protect myself. Protect my family.
” -- ESPN NFL analyst Cris Carter

"I'm guilty of (bounties) -- I mean first time I've ever admitted it -- but I put a bounty on guys before," Carter told the show. "I put bounties on guys. If a guy tries to take me out, a guy takes a cheap shot on me? I put a bounty on him right now!"

When asked if the bounties were financial, Carter said: "Absolutely."

Carter, a Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist for the last five years, said it was a matter of protecting himself from players at a different position, such as linebacker.

"I'd tell one of them guards, 'Hey man this dude is after me, man' " Carter said.

The 46-year-old told of former Pro Bowl linebacker Bill Romanowski, then with the Denver Broncos, threatening to hurt him in pregame warmups.

"Bill Romanowski -- he told me he was going to take me out before the game, warmups. No problem. (He said,) 'I'm gonna end your career Carter.' No problem. "I put a little change on his head before the game. Protect myself. Protect my family. That's the league that I grew up in."

When asked if he was the only one doing that, Carter responded: "Hell, no.

"Listen, on the football field you only got certain protection and your teammates are part of that protection. It's built in and if I'm playing a certain position where I can't protect myself -- how can the quarterback protect himself? But for his teammates to stand up and do something," Carter said. "There are certain positions you can't protect yourself.

Hill and Schlereth

Former NFL WR Cris Carter tells Mike Hill and Mark Schlereth that he put bounties on players like Bill Romanowski to protect himself and Randy Moss among others.

More Podcasts »

"The center? How can he protect himself? He's snapping the ball every time. Like if someone is taking a cheap shot on him? No problem. We've got a way to work that out."

Carter's comments come one day after New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma and three others appealed league-mandated suspensions for their alleged roles in that team's three-year bounty program.

An NFL investigation determined the Saints ran a bounty system from 2009 to 2011 that offered thousands of dollars to players for big hits that knocked opponents out of games. In March, Goodell suspended Saints head coach Sean Payton for all of next season without pay, suspended former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely and levied other penalties against the club.

But Carter told "Hill and Schlereth" that during his playing days bounties weren't meant to purposefully injure other players.

" ... But you have to realize the league we grew up in, the bounty was based on protection, or a big hit, excitement or for helping your team win. It wasn't to maim or hurt the dude," said Carter, who retired from the NFL following the 2002 season. "When a guy said he was going to hurt me, my recourse was to put a bounty on him to make sure."

Hammock Parties
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tUyYace8318" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In58men
05-08-2012, 10:08 PM
"Put a little change on his head"

ROFL

Rausch
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
For every tampon the NFL requires another 1/2 million people turn in to MMA.

Thig Lyfe
05-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Why would the guy who created The X-Files put a bounty on Romanowski's head?

Rausch
05-08-2012, 10:21 PM

'Cause he had the money?...

Bump
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM

everyone hates that bastard, everyone

KcMizzou
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
For every tampon the NFL requires another 1/2 million people turn in to MMA.MMA's less dangerous.

In any case. There are risks and rewards. They are known. Please don't F up my football.

KCrockaholic
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
:clap:

Demonpenz
05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Makes me alittle sad of what pussys we have in KC that there wasn't a bounty when Trent Green got taken out.

ZootedGranny
05-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Put him in the Hall of Fame right now.

Chopped Meat
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Tim Grunhard admitted to Marty Schottenheimer putting bounties on the 1997 Broncos.

KCrockaholic
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Tim Grunhard admitted to Marty Schottenheimer putting bounties on the 1997 Broncos.

Too bad it didn't work.

arrowheadnation
05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Romanowski is bat shit crazy enough, he might actually come after Carter right now. If I were Carter, I wouldn't have admitted this.

Rain Man
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM

They were Bounty paper towels. You know, to get the cooking spray off.

Rain Man
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I have no problem at all with a bounty being put on Romanowski. He was the dirtiest player I've ever seen, and that even counts Matt Millen and Lester Hayes and Ben Davidson and Howie Long.

Lester Hayes is a very close second, though.

Demonpenz
05-08-2012, 11:34 PM
They were Bounty paper towels. You know, to get the cooking spray off.

Good joke

Hammock Parties
05-08-2012, 11:43 PM

That makes my dick hard.

Frazod
05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Romanowski is bat shit crazy enough, he might actually come after Carter right now. If I were Carter, I wouldn't have admitted this.

If I was trying to get into the Hall of Fame, I wouldn't have admitted this. Good God. I mean, I appreciate his honesty, but that cunt Goodell will not be amused.

mikey23545
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
He put out a bounty on Romanowski?

I am disappoint.

Now if he had put out a contract on Romanowski? Now you've got my respect...

Simply Red
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/NziZp.gif (http://imgur.com/NziZp)

Rain Man
05-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Good joke

Thank you. I was aided heavily by the fact that Bounty is actually a real paper towel brand.

Rausch
05-09-2012, 04:40 AM
That makes my dick hard.

That makes me want to thrown anything not strapped down against concrete!

:mad::banghead:

:cuss::Lin::bang:

:facepalm:

Deberg_1990
05-09-2012, 06:31 AM

heh, no kidding. Hes on one of the sports talk radio stations down here from time to time. Hes like the sports world version of Gary Busey. Hes nuts.

ForeverChiefs58
05-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Bounties are not right, but they have been going on in the NFL for a long time. Buddy Ryan was pretty blantant about it.
Anyone remember bounty bowl?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PMV6KH0xyyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uOW9oYaSQdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BoneKrusher
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
everyone hates that bastard, everyone

i agree, never could stand that fucker.

okcchief
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
I think it's bullshit they use one team as a poster child. It's no secret bounties have always been a part of football.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
It's no secret bounties have always been a part of football.

Agreed. Ive said all along that the biggest mistake made was for the Saints to keep some sort of a paper trail on it.

Red Brooklyn
05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Thank you. I was aided heavily by the fact that Bounty is actually a real paper towel brand.
Better joke!

Iowanian
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
If the bounty was paid based on LEGAL hits, I don't see the issue at all.

If you dive on someone's knee like a Bronco, or lead with your helmet...it's a different story.

Extra Point
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Too bad it didn't work.

If someone would have kept a mini kitchen torch handy after the huddle, it could have. That PAM lights up pretty quick.

Consistent1
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I think it's bullshit they use one team as a poster child. It's no secret bounties have always been a part of football.

Even more so putting so much on Vilma at this point in his career. A year in age isn't going to have the impact on Payton's career like JV.

notorious
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Fuck Criminowski.

That piece of garbage deserves anything he gets.

Chiefnj2
05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

They were told to cool it a few times and didn't. Don't record it when the league told you to knock it off.

whoman69
05-09-2012, 12:46 PM

There's a difference between Carter asking one of his teamates to look out for him in response to someone who has stated they are going to take them out of the game or made moves to do so, and by stating that you are putting a price on someone's head that could end their career. I wouldn't even call it a bounty in Carter's case, but policing the action.

Romanowski is the agressor in this case. He's already lying about it on the air, saying he didn't even do any talking during the game.

lcarus
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Cris Carter has always struck me as an idiot. I wouldn't put it past him to either fabricate something like this or take something that wasn't a big deal and make an article that people will give attention to out of it. Knowing Romanowski though, it could all be true too. These ex-players are all pretty much idiots anyway. They'll all be telling BS stories about their glory days for the rest of their lives. Cause you know...what really happened....catching leather balls and tackling dudes for a lot of money...not that great of a story.

Chief Roundup
05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
What bothers me the most is that the NFL has not shown its evidence about all of this. If they are going to access a fine or penalty then they should have to show the proof.

Quesadilla Joe
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
"Everybody who played with him disliked him" -- Romanowski on Cris Carter. I love it, so true.

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonColeYahoo/status/200291268465655810

Willie Lanier
05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Chris Carter is a pussy, in street vernacular...

I hate Romanowski as much as anyone, but to try to make a situation out of a defensive player saying "I'm taking you out" is ridiculous.

That happens all the time, it's a violent game.. etc...

I just HATE how Carter is backtracking his statements regarding the alleged incident, it went from "I'm gonna end your career" to "You're going down"

What a bitch...

Chiefnj2
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Romanowski is the greatest football player to ever live. He did what no player has ever done - he united about 40 Chiefs Planet members. It didn't matter if they were a Derrick Thomas or Neil Smith supporter. A Grbac or Gannon fan. People bonded together to write a letter to Carl Peterson demanding that he NOT sign Romanowski or face the wrath of Chiefs Planet.

DJJasonp
05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I just reserved my seats for the 2019 Super Bowl......to be held on a beach in Miami.

Cause they'll be playing with flags by then.

lcarus
05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I just reserved my seats for the 2019 Super Bowl......to be held on a beach in Miami.

Cause they'll be playing with flags by then.

They already do play with flags. The Raiders get a lot of them.

http://www.collegesurfing.com/articleimages/tinyupload/canada/paul-shaffer.jpg

whoman69
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
What bothers me the most is that the NFL has not shown its evidence about all of this. If they are going to access a fine or penalty then they should have to show the proof.

The information was very well documented. The case against the Saints would take up volumes.

Cephalic Trauma
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
The information was very well documented. The case against the Saints would take up volumes.

Source? I haven't seen any of it.

Side Note: Did anybody see Cris Carter try to define what he meant by bounty on NFL Live today? It was pathetic and I can't imagine anybody buying the garbage he was spewing. He was totally trying to save face.

Thig Lyfe
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Source? I haven't seen any of it.

Side Note: Did anybody see Chris Carter try to define what he meant by bounty on NFL Live today? It was pathetic and I can't imagine anybody buying the garbage he was spewing. He was totally trying to save face.

Why would the guy who created X-Files be on NFL Live?

Cephalic Trauma
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Why would the guy who created X-Files be on NFL Live?

Ha...Ha...

My mistake.