PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink How Do You Feel About Instant Coffee?

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I am thinking about making some coffee but it's late in the day. There is a good chance that I won't drink it all. I know you can make partial pots but I don't like doing that. Usually I would just go make instant coffee in this case.

In58men
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Cold brew tea is good

seclark
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
don't like it. don't want to.
sec

Buck
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I would gladly just drink the water I'd use instead.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
If I make a pot I can make some cold coffee beverages for my teens as well. So that's about two cups I wouldn't be wasting right there.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I would gladly just drink the water I'd use instead.

That's insane. I would object more strongly but my coffee isn't done yet and I'm kind of tired. It took a strong force of will just to make this thread.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
OK, now I have a plan. I will make a cup of instant coffee to wake me up enough to make a pot of coffee.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Cold brew tea is good

I do love a giant glass of sweet tea on ice in the Summertime.

Predarat
05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Not a fan of the powder crap, but sometimes this is a good alternative:

http://www.bachelorkitchenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/coffee-singles-regular-box.jpg

suds79
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Always thought the idea of it sounded horrible.

But the wife and I visited her college friend in KC once. She' originally from the Ukraine where instant coffee is very popular. I was shocked to find it's actually very tasty.

I use it regularly here at work. Just have a hot water kettle on my desk. It's simple, easy & tasty.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Always thought the idea of it sounded horrible.

But the wife and I visited her college friend in KC once. She' originally from the Ukraine where instant coffee is very popular. I was shocked to find it's actually very tasty.

I use it regularly here at work. Just have a hot water kettle on my desk. It's simple, easy & tasty.

It is very convenient and I don't mind the taste.

Bump
05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I have this plastic thing that I put over the coffee mug, put a filter in it and the coffee, boil up some water and pour it directly into the cup. It's quick and easy and it's a damn good cup of coffee. It's much easier to clean than a coffee maker and it's good because I used to just drink the entire pot of coffee, but now I only have that one cup but it's a pretty big coffee cup, but it's nice. I started using that when my coffee maker broke and I didn't want to buy a whole new one and saw that. I wouldn't go back to the coffee maker, I like this better.

saphojunkie
05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
If you need a cup of coffee in the afternoon, more than likely you actually just need water. I am currently drinking a cup of coffee. In the afternoon. The irony does not escape me.

That said, try drinking Earl Grey tea instead of the instant coffee. Put cream and sugar in. You'll dig it. And it's kind of nice to have a different flavor. The brits aren't completely screwy with all their ideas.

scho63
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Instant coffee is as bad as instant potatoes or instant milk-they all suck balls!

Stewie
05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
You can't tell the difference between a really good instant coffee and brewed. That could possibly kill part of the business I work for. It's amazing how far instant coffees have come.

pr_capone
05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
You can't tell the difference between a really good instant coffee and brewed.

I must whole heartedly disagree.

Donger
05-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I hadn't had instant coffee in years until we went "camping" last year. The wife handed me these little tubes of Starbucks (I think) and it was surprisingly good. The fact that it was 28F in July might have had something to do with it, however.

Bugeater
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd rather drink a nice hot cup of dirty dishwater.

KurtCobain
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry I'm late.

Keefee coffee is like crack.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
If you need a cup of coffee in the afternoon, more than likely you actually just need water. I am currently drinking a cup of coffee. In the afternoon. The irony does not escape me.

That said, try drinking Earl Grey tea instead of the instant coffee. Put cream and sugar in. You'll dig it. And it's kind of nice to have a different flavor. The brits aren't completely screwy with all their ideas.

I know. I have a box of Earl Grey right next to my coffee maker. It's good stuff. It just depends on what I want. I stayed up too late and got into the vodka last night, and my light hangover started morphing into a migraine. I can knock them down with caffeine and ibuprofen. Coffee seems to work the best.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Sorry I'm late.

Keefee coffee is like crack.

There you are. No biggie. I had to go pick up the kids anyway.

KurtCobain
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I'd rather drink a nice hot cup of dirty dishwater.

I like my dishwater straight out of my dog's ass.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
I like my dishwater straight out of my dog's ass.

As long as it has that caramel syrup though.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
there's not a real option that fits me, here. I'll say this; with the constant changing technology, it's better tasting now, than it's ever been. Especially the upper end brands.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:34 PM
there's not a real option that fits me, here. I'll say this; with the constant changing technology, it's better tasting now, than it's ever been. Especially the upper end brands.

The poll is supposed to reflect how accepting you are of instant coffee versus "real" coffee. On a scale from one to five with one being "not at all" and five being "very". More or less.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I have this plastic thing that I put over the coffee mug, put a filter in it and the coffee, boil up some water and pour it directly into the cup. It's quick and easy and it's a damn good cup of coffee. It's much easier to clean than a coffee maker and it's good because I used to just drink the entire pot of coffee, but now I only have that one cup but it's a pretty big coffee cup, but it's nice. I started using that when my coffee maker broke and I didn't want to buy a whole new one and saw that. I wouldn't go back to the coffee maker, I like this better.

I do have a travel mug with a french press built into it. Works quite well but instant is still much more convenient.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
The poll is supposed to reflect how accepting you are of instant coffee versus "real" coffee. On a scale from one to five with one being "not at all" and five being "very". More or less.

but I don't rarely drink it, nor do i necessarily dislike it, so, again, nothing applies to me here.

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
but I don't rarely drink it, nor do i necessarily dislike it, so, again, nothing applies to me here.

How often do you drink instant coffee?

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
How often do you drink instant coffee?

Never, but I don't necessarily dislike it, either. Not trying to 'Donger' you to death. But I refuse to vote here. :p

listopencil
05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Never, but I don't necessarily dislike it, either. Not trying to 'Donger' you to death. But I refuse to vote here. :p

So you would vote "Never" in the poll and post a comment like, "I don't necessarily dislike instant coffee but I don't drink it."

Easy 6
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Used instant while camping on vacation last july, for convenience, thats the last time i had any, its sucks.

Only when i cant get the real deal.

Spicy McHaggis
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
My Irish buddy drinks instant almost exclusively. He said it's not unusual over there.

NewChief
05-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I usually use a french press for my afternoon coffee fix. Buy the press, get an electric tea kettle/water boiler, and keep coffee at your desk. The rest of the office will love/hate you every time you press a pot.

Simply Red
05-09-2012, 09:10 PM
use a french press

It's what's up.

evolve27
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I need to invest in a Keurig

mikey23545
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Not a fan of the powder crap, but sometimes this is a good alternative:

http://www.bachelorkitchenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/coffee-singles-regular-box.jpg

Yep.

Braincase
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Over the years, I've learned ro appreciate real coffee. Instant is a last resort, and I went with a last resort on more than one occasion. Today, I either grind my own beans or go to someplace that I know grinds their own.

Dayze
05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
this guy recommends "Sanka"

http://nomorepopcorn.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/vincent-schiavelli.jpg