PDA

View Full Version : Life Tough Mudder

Direckshun
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Anybody done this?

In58men
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh where oh where is WV oh where oh where can he be.

BigMeatballDave
05-10-2012, 05:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r_YlS3SLoz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheater5
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Anybody done this?

Yes. December 2011.

scho63
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
My buddy just finished one in NJ last month. He said it had 6,000 people and was great. the only thing he didn't like was jumping into a tank of water that was about 50 degrees and the air was only 55.

After it was over, he couldn't get warm and enjoy the free food and drink

Said it had a wide variety of people-not super tough but not for anyone too out of shape.

he also got a tough mudder tattoo-he is 48 and it was his first

Direckshun
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes. December 2011.

The fucking website makes it look like the most brutal experience known to man.

My friend and I are both very physically fit. We're not Olympians or anything but we're both fit, we run regularly, albeit not 10 to 12 miles.

We were just wondering exactly how much tough this course is.

WV
05-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Just completed one on April 29th in PA and am doing the Mid Atlantic one in September. If you are prepared it really isn't that difficult, the only thing we weren't prepared for was the cold water and low 50's temp with wind. Best thing to keep warm is to keep moving. Stopping to wait on our teammates was killer for keeping warm towards the end.

Of course I knew the distance was 12 miles, but the runs between obstacles was pretty long at times and grew tiring. It really doesn't get physical until the last 5 miles or so when they cram in about 6 obstacles. The shock obstacles weren't bad at all, but I didn't get hit hard. We saw it drop some people though. As i said, arctic enema and walk the plank were the worst by far.

Unless you have a solid team that you know, be prepared for it to take 4+ hours. 7 of my 9 teammates probably walked the last 4 miles or so and we had to wait a lot. We would run ahead and wait for them to catch up. We were running between 10 and 11 miles for about 3 weeks before and it really paid off. Depending on your venue, make sure all your running isn't flat. I also did P90X for training as well.

All in all it was a blast, but register early to save yourself some money.

There's more info in here from other guys as well.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255518&highlight=tough+mudder

DaKCMan AP
05-11-2012, 05:30 AM
A lot of my friends have done it. They've all said it was Awesome.

ChiefsOne
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I've never done one, but it looks pretty grueling. My buddy is wanting us to do the one in SE MO in the fall.

You might check Mudathlon.com too. I've done their merchandise for a few years so I am more familiar with it, a much smaller course 3 miles, 40 obstacles.

Direckshun
05-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Just completed one on April 29th in PA and am doing the Mid Atlantic one in September. If you are prepared it really isn't that difficult, the only thing we weren't prepared for was the cold water and low 50's temp with wind. Best thing to keep warm is to keep moving. Stopping to wait on our teammates was killer for keeping warm towards the end.

Of course I knew the distance was 12 miles, but the runs between obstacles was pretty long at times and grew tiring. It really doesn't get physical until the last 5 miles or so when they cram in about 6 obstacles. The shock obstacles weren't bad at all, but I didn't get hit hard. We saw it drop some people though. As i said, arctic enema and walk the plank were the worst by far.

Unless you have a solid team that you know, be prepared for it to take 4+ hours. 7 of my 9 teammates probably walked the last 4 miles or so and we had to wait a lot. We would run ahead and wait for them to catch up. We were running between 10 and 11 miles for about 3 weeks before and it really paid off. Depending on your venue, make sure all your running isn't flat. I also did P90X for training as well.

All in all it was a blast, but register early to save yourself some money.

There's more info in here from other guys as well.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255518&highlight=tough+mudder

1. Describe the shock stuff.

2. What's artic enema and walk the plank?

3. I lift regularly and run about 7 miles two to three times a week. I'm very fit but I feel like I need to get stronger for about a year for this.

lcarus
05-11-2012, 08:06 AM
His mother was a mudder

WV
05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
1. Describe the shock stuff.

2. What's artic enema and walk the plank?

3. I lift regularly and run about 7 miles two to three times a week. I'm very fit but I feel like I need to get stronger for about a year for this.

This is shocks on rocks.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A68UWYtdL5k/TxRenXdtBdI/AAAAAAAAA4o/ZBaMsS5nT_s/s1600/23-low+crawl.jpg

This is Electroshock Therapy, the very last obstacle.
http://www.killfatme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/toughmudder_shock.jpg

The wires you crawl through or run through have up to 10,000 volts running through them (drops some people flat). Ever been hit by an electric fence? It's similar to that....wasn't bad for me.

Arctic Enema is a long dumpster filled with ice water that you have to jump in, go under a barrier half way and then climb out. Coldest water I've ever been in!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6NYwl62ytDs/TxRorEoKrPI/AAAAAAAAA88/FVAWj7s0C48/s1600/Tough+Mudder+Arizona+Preview+%257C+Facebook-2.jpg

Walk the plank is jumping from a 15 foot platform into some form of water, which in my case was a freezing cold pond. Hitting that water then swimming a little ways out sucked ass. Both of these knock the air right out of you.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bpeneaSVwCs/TqOp9VaW-FI/AAAAAAAAAh4/JfMMx7-ur18/s1600/IMG_2016.JPG

If you're already running like you say then I think you would be fine. I pushed the distance closer to the event just to make sure I could run that far. Honestly it was tougher for me to run 11 miles all at once than it was to do mudder. You naturally have some breaks at the obstacles and it's just inherently slower because of terrain and such. Depends on your venue though.

As far as strength, if you can manipulate your body weight you'll be fine. They recommend you being able to do several pull ups before the event. Funky Monkey (Monkey bars over water that incline then decline) and the Olympic rings (rings on straps over water you have to swing to and from to get across) were the toughest as far as purely physical.
http://www.killfatme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/toughmudder_funky_monkey.jpg

Berlin walls #2 (12ft walls you go up and over) were a little tough as well depending on your strength level. I could get a running start, step on the board lip and get the top then pull myself up and over. Your teammates can help though if needed.

**None of these pictures are from my event, but the idea is the same***

Direckshun
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
The rings sound tough as shit.

Good stuff, WV.

bevischief
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
You paid money for torture?

Direckshun
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Question for all the Mudders in the thread:

How many pullups can you do?

I need to get to the gym and start working on them. I just want to see how many I should be able to do, based on you hardasses.

WV
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
The rings sound tough as shit.

Good stuff, WV.

I made it about 3/4 the way across, but the rings were kind of far apart and I had trouble keeping my momentum. Longer arms would help!!

On a good day I can do between 8 and 10 pull ups. P90X really focuses on them a lot.

Buck
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Direckshun, did you do this?

Direckshun
09-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, I'm scheduled to do this in 2 days.

And sure as shit, I've come down with something.

A little puking, but I've been blowing water out of my ass for two days.

I'm getting better, but I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to be capable of doing this now. Thoughts?

Fansy the Famous Bard
09-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I can't speak for everyone here, but don't kill yourself.

Saccopoo
09-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Well, I'm scheduled to do this in 2 days.

And sure as shit, I've come down with something.

A little puking, but I've been blowing water out of my ass for two days.

I'm getting better, but I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to be capable of doing this now. Thoughts?

Thoughts, yeah here's a thought:

You don't really have to go into details about your maladies. Nobody wants details on stuff like that. A little gauche don't you think?

What's happened to the sense of decency and decorum around here?

And while I enjoy stupid stuff, these races sound really stupid. Running through electrical wires while wet? Jumping into a dumpster full of ice? What the fuck are you trying to prove? That your dumber than the next guy? I don't get it.

ChiTown
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm doing my first one in 2 weeks - Highland Park in Topeka. Have a group of 10 that is doing it. Can't wait.

ChiTown
09-12-2013, 09:23 AM

You don't really have to go into details about your maladies. Nobody wants details on stuff like that. A little gauche don't you think?

And while I enjoy stupid stuff, these races sound really stupid. Running through electrical wires while wet? Jumping into a dumpster full of ice? What the **** are you trying to prove? That your dumber than the next guy? I don't get it.

It's for the Wounded Warrior Project. Great cause, and a test of the will.

big nasty kcnut
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
direckshun do it being sick sucks but you overcome adapt.

Direckshun
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM

And while I enjoy stupid stuff, these races sound really stupid. Running through electrical wires while wet? Jumping into a dumpster full of ice? What the fuck are you trying to prove? That your dumber than the next guy? I don't get it.

LMAO

I gotta admit, this cheered me up.

Saccopoo
09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
It's for the Wounded Warrior Project. Great cause, and a test of the will.

I would say more a measure of stupidity than a test of will...

But if it makes you happy, then it makes you happy.

Some people like eating fertilized duck eggs, so if you like running through electrical wires and diving in a dumpster full of ice, then I guess you run through electrical wires and dive into dumpsters full of ice.

I wonder how you train for these races?

Hook your balls up to a car battery and then put your head into a five gallon bucket filled with ice?

ChiTown
09-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Some people like eating fertilized duck eggs, so if you like running through electrical wires and diving in a dumpster full of ice, then I guess you run through electrical wires and dive into dumpsters full of ice.

Hook your balls up to a car battery and then put your head into a five gallon bucket filled with ice?

:D

KCUnited
09-12-2013, 09:36 AM

He's a Chiefs and Royals fan.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm doing my first one in 2 weeks - Highland Park in Topeka. Have a group of 10 that is doing it. Can't wait.

My brother has participated in three Tough Mudders in Texas and has told me stories of dragging guys out of certain facets of the course because they just collapse.

But he's a freakin' beast. 22" biceps.

Good luck!

ChiTown
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
He's a Chiefs and Royals fan.

:clap: - yep, and I also have my kids take turns repeatedly kicking me in the nuts

Titty Meat
09-12-2013, 09:49 AM
But he's a freakin' beast. 22" biceps.

Good luck!

Mine are bigger

luv
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Feeling any better today?