PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Josh Looney: Poe's pissed

RealSNR
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Rookie-Minicamp-Notebook-Poe-Makes-Chiefs-Debut/5f72f23c-3be5-47c6-8834-aa6dc3396e6f

First impressions all around at Chiefs Rookie Minicamp

Chiefs first-round draft pick Dontari Poespent the majority of his first practice with his helmet off working on a side field with defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant.

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits any contact from taking place at minicamp practices, so the Chiefs are focused on developing technique with their top pick.

Poe worked one-on-one with coaches on hand placement, footwork and stance for nearly 60 minutes of the 90-minute practice.

“We were focusing on just being explosive,” Poe said. “We really don’t do too much of this kind of technique in college, so I’m just out here trying to learn the mental part the best that I can now and the physical part will come later.”

“He has a ways to go because he’s learning a different system,” head coach Romeo Crennel added. “Until he can get his footwork, stance and technique with his hands down, it will come, but it takes some time.”

The Chiefs won’t have a true understanding of where Poe stands until training camp begins in late July.

School is out at Memphis, so Poe will be able to join veterans in the team’s offseason program on Monday, but he won’t get fully acclimated in the pro game until the pads come on at training camp.

No live contact is allowed during any OTA or minicamp practices throughout the offseason.

“He’s playing a position where contact rules when the ball is snapped,” Crennel said. “We have to teach him the technique, but we have to get him in pads for him to be able to polish the technique. We can see some of the improvement with the guy hitting the bag and trying to understand, but until he puts the pads on and you have contact, that’s when he can polish the technique the most.”

“I learned a lot out here on the first day,” said Poe. “I learned more than I thought that I would, but this is all a process. I’m doing the best I can and taking it day-by-day.”

As for the critics, Poe isn’t acting like he’s turned a deaf ear. He’s heard analysts talk about him being a potential bust and question his college production against non-BCS competition.

All of that is on Poe’s mind as he goes through his first days as a Kansas City Chief.

Poe has arrived with a chip on his shoulder.

“Every day I come out here that is on my mind,” Poe said of the criticism he’s received. “People have said those negative things about me and I just want to prove them wrong. I’m trying to do that every day.”

Wylie works all over the field

Fourth-round draft pick Devon Wylie is expected to compete for time as a slot receiver this season, but the speedster out of Fresno State worked as both an inside and outside receiver on Friday.

The workload appeared to pay off as Wylie’s debut left a positive first impression with Coach Crennel.

“He showed some pretty good quickness and things as far as catching the ball goes,” Crennel said. “What he was advertised as, it showed. I mean, he has really good quickness and he runs really good routes. I think he’ll be able to get a step on defenders and have a chance to make plays.”

Statistically, Wylie is the fastest player at minicamp and may in fact be the fastest player on the Chiefs roster as a whole. But after one day, Wylie says he already feels the change of speed at the NFL level.

“It’s very different,” Wylie said. “I’m going to have to increase my speed in my own way, and I’m going to have to harness it, keep my feet under me a little better. Today, I felt like I could have played a little better. I have to play as fast as I can all the time in order to keep my speed and use that as an edge.”

Wylie also addressed wearing jersey No. 83, which will no doubt keep the comparisons to Wes Welker flowing.

“I requested a number in the teens, and this was one of the only 80s number available,” Wylie explained. “It is just what was given to me, so I’m just rolling with it.”

There were only two numbers available in the 80s when Wylie was drafted (83 and 88). When seventh-round draft pick Junior Hemingway was issued No. 88, Wylie received the same jersey number as Welker.

No player on the roster wears No. 86, which is retired in honor of Hall of Fame DT Buck Buchanan.

Take Five: First impressions and a little bit of this and that

1) Dexter Heyman, an undrafted linebacker out of Louisville, more than passes the eye test. Heyman looks every bit of the 6’3,” 232 pounds he’s listed at on the Chiefs roster. Minicamp is a time for players to shine in the “Underwear Olympics,” but I’m excited to see what this prospect can do once the pads come on.

2) David LeGree has a great chance in front of him to earn a contract this weekend. The tryout player from Hampton is taking every offensive snap as the only quarterback in minicamp. He was high on a lot of his throws Friday, but will have more than enough opportunity to show improvement on film.

3) James Winchester is an interesting story. He served as Oklahoma’s long snapper last season, but is working as a wide receiver at minicamp. The only receiving he did for the Sooners was as a scout team player. While Winchester struggled with some of the footwork drills, he made several nice catches in 7-on-7 including a leaping grip during the 11-on-11 team period.

4) Second-round draft pick Jeff Allen took his reps at left guard. Third-round draft pick Donald Stephenson worked at left tackle.

5) The first big play of minicamp was turned in by Dominique Ellis, a tryout safety from South Carolina State. Ellis picked off a high pass intended for Brandon Kinnie that was deflected into the air. Fifth-round draft pick DeQuan Menzie had underneath coverage on the route.

The Dawg
05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Good. I hope he turns it into positive energy.

mr. tegu
05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm glad he is coming in with the idea that he has something to prove instead of thinking he has made it and can now take it easy.

Also he said they didn't do much of the mental stuff in college. Really does suggest they just threw him out there in college without really coaching him and told him to just go out there and be big (easy for Poe).

boogblaster
05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
poe poe .....

Ultra Peanut
05-11-2012, 11:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/B7Vcf.gif

In58men
05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Go get'em champ.

Quesadilla Joe
05-11-2012, 11:14 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm kinda worried about Poe's development. Crennel has had two top 5 picks on his DL for the past couple years and they haven't turned into Pro Bowl players.

Ultra Peanut
05-11-2012, 11:16 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm kinda worried about Poe's development. Crennel has had two top 5 picks on his DL for the past couple years and they haven't turned into Pro Bowl players.

http://i.imgur.com/tTV07.gif

MMXcalibur
05-11-2012, 11:18 PM

As a Broncos fan, I'm worried that Poe will tear off my newly acquired quarterback's head and SHIT DOWN HIS GODDAMN NECK!!!!

RealSNR
05-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Go get'em, UP. Gif his ass up!

mikey23545
05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Josh Looney: Poe's pissed

So you're saying he showed up with a piss Poe attitude?

Bump
05-11-2012, 11:39 PM
GREAT NOW HE HAS A BAD ATTITUDE IF HES PISSED

KCrockaholic
05-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Josh Looney: Poe's pissed

So you're saying he's showed up with a piss Poe attitude?

:shake: ... ROFL Ok...It was a little funny.

jd1020
05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=833974&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/833974/waterboy.html)

TinyEvel
05-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Did Poe just say "It's a process?" :banghead:

Bump
05-12-2012, 12:50 AM

I found myself saying that to my boss at work not long ago

J Diddy
05-12-2012, 02:46 AM
GREAT NOW HE HAS A BAD ATTITUDE IF HES PISSED
I'm all for a nose tackle with a bad attitude.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-12-2012, 06:00 AM
As a Broncos fan, I'm worried that Poe will tear off my newly acquired quarterback's head and SHIT DOWN HIS GODDAMN NECK!!!!

LMAO

suds79
05-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Professional athletes are a different breed man.

Seems like nothing fules their fire more than telling them they can't do something.

I like the idea of a D-linemen with a chip on his shoulder. Lets hope Poe doesn't forget any time soon what was said about him.

BoneKrusher
05-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Poe knows foozball.

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Poe in rookie camp, but it’s too early for tell-tale signs (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/11/3606899/poe-in-rookie-camp-but-its-too.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

This much is clear regarding Dontari Poe, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick: He comes by his size honestly. The Chiefs say he is 346 pounds, and judging by his considerable physical presence on Friday at the start of a three-day rookie camp, that figure isn’t inflated.

But the answer to a more important question — can Poe be the dominant monster the Chiefs have lacked in the middle of their defensive line? — will have to wait for another day.

The Chiefs wore little in the way of pads and contact was minimal, so it wasn’t going to be a day for the big guys to shine.

“Not much, because there’s no contact,” coach Romeo Crennel said when asked what could be learned about Poe on such a day. “He’s playing a position where contact rules when the ball is snapped during a game. We have to teach him the technique, but we have to get him in pads to be able to polish the technique. Until that time, we can see some improvement. You see improvement with the guy hitting a bag and trying to understand.”

These practices are for the skill players to show off. One who did was wide receiver Devon Wylie, a fourth-round pick. Speed at his position is otherwise scarce for the Chiefs, but Wylie showed plenty of it.

“What he was advertised as, it showed,” Crennel said. “He has really good quickness. He runs pretty good routes. I think he’ll be able to get a step on defenders and have a chance to make plays.”

That would obviously be of benefit to the Chiefs. But fast receivers are relatively easy to find.

Nose tackles who weigh 346 pounds and have the athletic ability of a person 100 or more pounds lighter aren’t easy to find. Poe has that combination, which is why the Chiefs selected him with the 11th pick of the draft last month.

The Chiefs, who have just 38 players participating in the camp, were thin at some positions, so they spent little time working as a full offense against a full defense. They worked mainly on individual and position drills as well as special teams.

Poe spent a good portion of the practice session working alone on drills and techniques with defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant. Otherwise, Poe did little to catch the eye.

“No, not really other than the fact he worked pretty (well) during the course of practice,” Crennel said. “Coach Pleasant spent a lot of time with him. He has a way to go because he’s learning a different system. Until he can get his footwork down, his stance, his technique with his hands … That will come, but it will take a little time.”

For Poe, it was just the start of what promises to be a long process to become an accomplished player.

“I learned a lot on the first day,” Poe said. “More than I thought I would. But it’s all a process, so I’m doing the best I can day by day.

“I’m trying to learn everything I can. There’s a big mental part to this game, and the learning curve in the NFL is pretty big. You really don’t do too much of this kind of technique in college. I’m just trying to come in here and learn the mental part of it as much as I can now. The physical part will come to me.”

The Chiefs have bigger expectations for Poe than any of their other rookies. They believe he can not only help what last year was the NFL’s 26th-rated run defense, but he will be asked to provide the pressure they’ve frequently lacked from the middle of their pass rush.

If Poe can provide those elements as a rookie, the Chiefs should be able to contend for the AFC West championship. If not, they could be looking at their second straight last-place finish.

So all eyes were fixed on Poe on Friday, something that will happen often as the Chiefs continue their offseason preparations.

“It may be, but that really doesn’t concern me,” Poe said. “Whether I’m the first pick or the last pick, I’m going to come out here and give it my all. That’s what I’ll continue to do.”

Gonzo
05-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Well, Ryan Sims was pissed too. Granted it was about the Krispy Cream in Shawnee closing down.

Ace Gunner
05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Poe knows foozball.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YW9do-x9kSs/SjPZ9-FZBlI/AAAAAAAABcs/OsBpmyuzaJQ/s400/barbie02.jpg

ChiefMojo
05-12-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm not as worried as Tiecher makes things out to be if Poe isn't ready as I expect a big leap from Powe this coming season. It is apparent Tiecher is either forgetting about Powe or doesn't think much of him.

Demonpenz
05-12-2012, 07:47 AM
He's pissed? He must have watched "highlights" against tulane.

siberian khatru
05-12-2012, 07:58 AM
2) David LeGree has a great chance in front of him to earn a contract this weekend. The tryout player from Hampton is taking every offensive snap as the only quarterback in minicamp. He was high on a lot of his throws Friday, but will have more than enough opportunity to show improvement on film.

Competition!

suds79
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Poe in rookie camp, but it’s too early for tell-tale signs (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/11/3606899/poe-in-rookie-camp-but-its-too.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have bigger expectations for Poe than any of their other rookies. They believe he can not only help what last year was the NFL’s 26th-rated run defense, but he will be asked to provide the pressure they’ve frequently lacked from the middle of their pass rush.

If Poe can provide those elements as a rookie, the Chiefs should be able to contend for the AFC West championship. If not, they could be looking at their second straight last-place finish.

Wow. Is where we'll end up really going to be determined by Poe Adam?

This team will go as far as Matt Cassel can take them. Period.

Demonpenz
05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
You have to stay real low
Get off your blocks and maintain gap control
Why do you get off the line so slow?
Now you're playing like Dontari Poe

Gotyte cover/

Fish
05-12-2012, 08:34 AM

He's obviously already been through the Chiefs re-education program....

Okie_Apparition
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Can we get video of Poe pissed during a Krumrie slap drill

Chief Roundup
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks Capt. Obvious. Every player has a chip that they use to motivate them about what the critics have said.

Brock
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
See if he's still pissed when he has a couple million in the bank.

wazu
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
In other news, Matt Cassel is also looking to prove everybody but Scott Pioli wrong.

ChiefGator
05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks Capt. Obvious. Every player has a chip that they use to motivate them about what the critics have said.

Well.. except for Cassell.

RealSNR
05-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Capt. Obvious. Every player has a chip that they use to motivate them about what the critics have said.It's already been said, but yeah. Some players don't need motivation. They grade out perfectly.

Chief Roundup
05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
It's already been said, but yeah. Some players don't need motivation. They grade out perfectly.

Just so you know the Capt. Obvious wasn't directed at you but at Looney and all of the other media that uses this angle to have something to write.

Fat Elvis
05-12-2012, 01:34 PM
You have to stay real low
Get off your blocks and maintain gap control
Why do you get off the line so slow?
Now you're playing like Dontari Poe

Gotyte cover/

Someone give penz some rep for this; I can't until I spread some more around.

Give him positve rep for such a funny post. Give him negative rep for getting that song stuck in my head.

Demonpenz
05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
SOMEBODY

bevischief
05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Left's see what happens...

bevischief
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Did he kill Cassel yet?

chiefzilla1501
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow. Is where we'll end up really going to be determined by Poe Adam?

This team will go as far as Matt Cassel can take them. Period.

Teicher is crazy if he thinks the Chiefs are going to get much out of him in his rookie season. It's going to take 2 years to be even passable. If he's good, that will take about 3 years.

But that's not going to stop every one of us from scrutinizing the hell out of him this year.

KurtCobain
05-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Is he pissed in the shower?

whoman69
05-12-2012, 02:35 PM

He's been reading our clippings.

whoman69
05-12-2012, 02:41 PM
In other news, Matt Cassel is also looking to prove everybody but Scott Pioli wrong.

Is he doing this in his mind?

RealSNR
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Off-topic, but whatever. People have been bringing up (well, Direckshun has anyway) how well Poe carries his weight. Makes him very Ngata-like.

Ngata now plays more 5-tech than anything else for the Ravens.

If Jerrel Powe develops into a beast like many guys thought he would when we drafted him, don't discount him to work into the starting lineup. He would be our 2-down player with Poe on the outside. On passing downs you'd shift Poe inside and bring in Bailey or whomever.

I mean, this is assuming that Poe = Ngata and Powe = fucking awesome. One of them MIGHT happen but not both most likely.

Also against no-huddle teams I assume we'd want Poe at the 0 full time, leaving Powe to kind of pick up scraps throughout a game.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Sac's posts about him will turn him into Hulk.

milkman
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Off-topic, but whatever. People have been bringing up (well, Direckshun has anyway) how well Poe carries his weight. Makes him very Ngata-like.

Ngata now plays more 5-tech than anything else for the Ravens.

If Jerrel Powe develops into a beast like many guys thought he would when we drafted him, don't discount him to work into the starting lineup. He would be our 2-down player with Poe on the outside. On passing downs you'd shift Poe inside and bring in Bailey or whomever.

I mean, this is assuming that Poe = Ngata and Powe = ****ing awesome. One of them MIGHT happen but not both most likely.

Also against no-huddle teams I assume we'd want Poe at the 0 full time, leaving Powe to kind of pick up scraps throughout a game.

I really think that Crennel is adjusting his scheme somewhat to take advantage of the talents of the players that have been drafted and converted through the years on this team.

He has been sending Hali after the QB almost exclusively, something he never did with even Willie McGinest, who might have been the best pass rushing OLB that Crennel had worked with prior to Hali.

He also started sending Houston more in the latter stages of the season than he has ever done with his LOLB before, even when he had Vrabel, who was also a pretty polished pass rusher in his prime with New England.

He may well use more 1 gap than he has prviously because of Poe's athletic ability, if he pans out.